InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Walk on the Ocean, Step on the Storm ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Fifteen
Walk on the Ocean, Step on the Storm
 
 
Charleston, SC State Aquarium…
 
Sango stood next to the thick glass of the aquarium. A giant shark shot by and all the fish scattered fleeing in his wake. Kagura whistled. “If this tank is a true representation of what is swimming outside in those waters then I am not going swimming later.”
 
 
Sango crossed her arms. “It's is kinda creepy. I had no idea all this was swimming just below us. But with all this calm blue light reflecting on the walls, it is peaceful.”
 
 
She sat on the bench facing the tank. A school of bright blue and yellow fish circled the reef. Kagura sat beside her.
 
 
“I wasn't too fond of those alligators upstairs either. Can you believe that lady said there really are gators in Lake Murray?”
 
 
Sango asked. “Didn't your parents leave you a lake house up there?”
 
 
“Yeah but I might sell it now.”
 
“Even though you've never seen an alligator?”
 
 
Kagura said. “I've seen them at Garden City and once in Florence but I thought the lake house was too far north… Let's just say I'm not taking any chances.”
 
 
Sango laughed, “You're silly. I've never heard of anyone being attacked ever.”
 
 
Kagura bit her lip. “And it's gonna stay that way. I have no plans of becoming the first person.”
 
 
Sango stood. “Let's go sit out on the deck and watch for dolphins.”
 
 
Kagura checked her watch. “It's noon, dolphins tend to jump in the early morning and evening.”
 
 
“Spoil sport. Wanna go shopping then?”
 
 
“Sure!”
 
 
Kagura originally planned to vacation in Savannah but Sango, who also had an over abundance of vacation time wanted to see Charleston. They were able to stay with Kagome's great aunt Kaede for free and that settled it. After all less money spent on lodging was more money spent in the exclusive shops on King Street. Kagura had been surprised Sango was willing to be apart from Miroku for three full weeks. They gathered their bags and headed out to the parking deck to unload their previous purchases before hitting the mini mall shops next to the Aquarium.
 
 
After shopping and now laden with armfuls of bags they returned to Kaede's town house. The old woman was waiting in the parlor and she was squinting at a flyer. She had one glass eye due to a bad bout of cancer ten years ago. She waved as Sango set a shopping bag at the foot of the winding iron stair case.
 
 
“I know what we could do tonight!” Kaede lived alone and was thrilled by the young women's company. She was determined to squeeze every ounce of entertainment from her guests as possible.
 
Kagura laughed. “Whatcha got there?”
 
 
“It's a brochure. I think we should go on one of those walking tours.”
 
 
Sango leaned over the back of Kaede's chair. “Are you up to all that walking?”
 
 
 
Kaede swatted her with the flyer. “I'm old not dead for God sakes.” She opened the flyer. “See here, there's a ghost tour tonight.”
 
 
Kagura grinned, “Well you heard her so I guess a ghost tour it is.”
 
 
Kaede narrowed her eyes as she clutched the brochure to her chest. “This whole town is crawling with spooks! Once you hear about `em you won't look at this place the same.”
 
 
Sango shook her head. “We're already too afraid to go swimming after visiting the aquarium. Are you going to ruin shopping for us too?”
 
 
Kaede cackled in true old southern belle style. “Honey, ain't no haunt gonna ruin our shopping.”
 
 
Kagura raised her hands in defeat. “And with a declaration like that how could we possibly decline.”
 
XWXWXWXWWXWXWWXWWXXWWXWXWXWWXWX
 
The tour started at the Circular Congregational Church located on Meeting St. The Church was made up of red brick and shaped like a cloverleaf with three semi-circular parts and one rectangular. It was an amazing example of Romanesque style architecture but its true treasure was the grave yard behind the church. The women arrived shortly before 8pm just in time to see the sun in it final phase of setting. Sango had come prepared with a spritz bottle of bug repellent and was thankful she did. The hot humid thick air was home to massive flocks of mosquitoes.
 
 
Kagura leaned against the wrought iron fence. “Hey we're early, lets check out that graveyard. It's positively gothic.”
 
Kaede led the way into the cemetery. The white tombstones stuck out in different directions. Sango knelt down in front of one.
 
“Hey there is an actual skull and cross bones on the top of this stone!”
 
Kagura stooped beside her to snap a picture. “Those are death heads. I used to think they meant the person died of plague but it turns out it was just a funerary style of the stone.”
 
 
Sango groaned. “I forget this crap is right up your alley. Say did they really have the plague here?”
 
“Sure did and pirates too.”
 
 
Sango sighed, “And to think I was just complaining how boring it is to live in modern times. Boy was I wrong, boring is so nice!”
 
 
Kaede was a few steps ahead. “Check this out, the birth date on this one is 1650!”
 
They picked their way through the yard. Over grown palmetto palm trees cast odd shadows over stones worthy of a Scooby Doo cartoon. Some of the large brick vaults were cracked and the insides of the tomb were exposed.
 
Kagura said, “Some of these guys are Revolutionary war veterans...”
 
Kaede answered, “Veterans! Some of them died before the French and Indian war.”
 
 
The tour guide called everyone to the gates.
 
“The Circular Congregational Church was built back in 1681.
It burnt down in 1861 and then was destroyed again in the earthquake of 1886. This building was built from those same bricks back in the 1890's. This is one of the best preserved oldest cemeteries in the country and one of the monuments dates back to the 1600's”
 
 
She motioned for the group to follow her in. She paused and pointed to the Hutson-Peronneau Vault. “This is where legend tells us a little girl was walled in alive for one night. When they came back in the morning to get her, they pulled the bricks down and she was gone.”
 
Kagura folded her arms across her chest. The warm night now had a bit of a chill.
 
 
They spent a good half an hour in the cemetery after dark. Then they trudged down the street and stood in front of Poogan's Porch restaurant and heard the story of Zoë St Amand.
 
 
“The police know that when they get a call that someone has spotted a burglar here that it's only Zoë and when they get here of course the place is always deserted.”
 
 
Kaede elbowed Sango. “We're coming back her for lunch tomorrow!”
 
 
They walked down Meeting Street and heard more stories of patriots, murders and pirates. They ended the tour at the Old Exchange Building on the corner of Broad and East Bay and visited Charleston's Pre-Revolutionary Provost Dungeon. The building was beautiful and the women marveled at the dresses on display from a ball that Washington himself had attended. They rode the rickety old elevator to the dungeon.
 
 
As the guide started describing the ghostly experiences other tourists had run into, Kagura snuck up behind Sango. She ran the nails of her forefingers down the back of Sango's neck. Sango shrieked, swung around and slammed a shopping bag into Kagura's stomach.
 
 
Kaede laughed. “Serves ya right!”
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXXWXWX
 
The next morning Kaede was true to her word and dragged everyone to brunch at Poogan's. Kagura was impressed with the expansive porch and over grown yard. They sat outside over mimosas, eggs, grits, biscuits and sausage gravy. Sango poked her gut and mumbled. “This is gonna require extra gym time when we get back.”
 
 
Kagura shook her head. “You work out too much. It's not healthy. I read the other week that this really fit jogger died of a heart attack. Had he stayed home he'd be alive today.”
 
 
Sango countered with, “Yeah, well now I know why you didn't wear the skin tight vinyl batgirl costume.”
 
 
Kagura picked up her mimosa. “Whatever...”
 
 
Kaede poured over a stack of brochures. Sango wondered if she collected them as a hobby. She found one that interested her and held up.
 
 
“We have to go on this tour after we leave here.”
 
Kaede said, “Another walking tour? I dunno about that.” She rubbed her belly where Sango had struck her with the bag. “I haven't recovered from the last one.”
 
Sango ordered, “Can it girl. You reap what you sow.” Then she smiled at Kaede. “Which one are you looking at?”
 
 
Kaede placed the open brochure on the table. “The historical homes tour, some of these houses go back to the 1700's!”
 
 
Sango stretched her legs under the table. “Didn't Sherman burn this town to the ground? How did these mansions escape?”
 
 
Kagura answered without looking up. “They didn't, Sherman surprised everyone and went to burn Columbia instead.”
 
Sango frowned. “Know-it-all.”
 
 
Kaede laughed, “So then I guess it's settled then. We better stock up on more film!”
 
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXX
 
The tour started with the Joseph Manigualt House. It was three stories high and had a charming garden. The next stop was the Heyward-Washington House which was located in the original walled part of old Charleston. Three houses later they were at their final stop. At this point Kagura was sick to death of historical houses and the clicking of Kaede's damn camera.
 
 
The house was located off Battery St overlooking Charleston harbor near Rainbow Row. The guide found the door locked and rang the bell. She turned to the group. Sango and Kagura hung towards the back.
 
 
“It appears one of the family is home. She's just wonderful and I'll let her conduct the tour.
 
 
The door was answered by an athletic girl with long black hair wearing a red sun dress. She wasn't a day over 18 and her enthusiasm at seeing the tour group was positively contagious.
 
 
“Ya'll must be the group that called ahead.” She spread her arms. “I'm Rin! Welcome to my family home, come on in.”
 
 
Everyone filed in through the doorway but Kagura stayed behind on the brick stairs. Sango turned and walked back to her.
 
 
“Aren't you coming? This is the last house and damned if I am going to follow Kaede through it by myself. You aren't getting off that easily.”
 
 
Kagura hissed. “I can't go in there. That girl is Sesshomaru's adopted daughter. This is his house!”
 
 
Sango's eyes rounded “Oh.” She looked down at her watch. “Hey it's 2pm on a Tuesday. He works allot in Charlotte. It's not likely that he's even here today. And you know how he isn't exactly fond of humans. He probably avoids these tour groups like mad. Besides…aren't you curious?” She narrowed her eyes and looked up at the house. “I know I am.”
 
 
Kagura sighed and hung her head. “Okay maybe I am, but just a little.
 
 
“Good!” Sango pulled Kagura up the steps and through the door.
 
 
The foyer was huge, open and airy. A curving cantilever staircase adorned the entrance hall. A modest yet breathtaking chandelier hung overhead. The understated exterior of the house had not prepared Kagura for this.
 
 
“Wow when he redecorates he goes all out!”
 
 
Sango whistled, “Yeah you can say that again.” The rug they were standing on looked to be as old as the house.
 
 
They could hear Rin's chipper voice as she walked the small group through the dining room. They followed it and found a huge cherry china cabinet with the Inu family china on display.
 
“We wanted to be true to the home's roots but our family is Japanese so the décor has been tweaked to reflect that.”
 
 
Upon closer inspection Kagura noticed black ivory chopsticks on display with the china. The dining room walls were painted a vibrant Chinese red under the cherry chair rail. They followed the group out through a hall of family portraits. Kagura stopped to study the pictures.
 
 
Sango pointed. “Look its Inuyasha back in high school. Check that mullet. Kagome would have paid to see that.”
 
 
Kagura found a few of Rin in various stages of childhood. Much to her chagrin Sesshomaru looked nearly the same in every photo. He just got taller and his hair longer.
 
 
One photo showed him in a World War II pilot's uniform next to a plane with his helmet under his arm. Kagura squinted and saw his beautiful hair was shorn close to his scalp. She realized she must be looking at his grandfather. She tried to wrap her mind around the idea of fighting on the US side against what had to be his mother country of Japan. She knew many Japanese-Americans had done so but seeing it made the chilly Inu family seem almost ordinary in a heroic way. Until now she'd thought of them as an off the wall yokai dynasty but here was proof they were as average and upstanding as her on own family. Perhaps they bled red blood and not blue after all.
 
 
Another picture beside it was of a young woman with a flower in her hair hugging the same man in uniform on the steps of the Charleston courthouse. Except for the pointed ears the black and white photo resembled something from Time magazine. The emotion was genuine and it was probably a wedding picture.
 
 
“Sango,” said Kagura without turning around to look at her. “I have a photo like this of my grandparents. I keep meaning to get it framed. Remind me when we get back to put that in my planner.”
 
 
There was no answer and Kagura's arms broke out in goose bumps. She stood still facing the wall of photos and said,
 
 
“Okay spill. What did you do with Sango?”
 
 
Sesshomaru answered blandly. “She just decided to re-join the main tour group.”
 
 
Kagura turned and saw he was leaning in the doorway, wearing jeans and a blue t-shirt, studying her with an intensity that made her skin itch. His hair was tied back and she found the effect unexpected. He looked normal and almost…relaxed. The light played across his face and she didn't even find the streaks of purple across his cheekbones out of place.
 
 
“Our friend wanted to go on the tour and I didn't think you'd be home.” Her excuse was just pitiful and she felt guilty about invading his private space which was ridiculous because it was after all a home tour.
 
 
Sesshomaru shrugged. “I like finding you in my house. It makes my day…interesting.”
 
 
Kagura was out of words so she decided to stick to a safe topic and state the obvious. “Your home is lovely. It's a real work of art.”
 
 
He bowed his head. “I'm glad you approve. These summer tours give Rin something to do.”
 
 
“She's a great hostess.”
 
 
“Thank you.” He took a cautious step towards her. “Would you care for a personal tour?”
 
 
Kagura blushed and shook her head. “No really that's okay.”
 
 
“But you haven't seen my mural.”
 
 
“Is that the one you painted yourself?”
 
He nodded.
 
 
She was horrified at how tempting the offer was. Maybe that letter softened me more that I first realized…
 
 
“The tour will be over soon, I really shouldn't. It'd be horribly rude to leave Kaede alone.”
 
 
A light smile played across his pale lips.
 
 
“I imagine you could use a break. It's my understanding she's nearly walked you over every inch of our fair city.”
 
 
Kagura's guard fell and her surprise showed on her face. “How do you know that?”
 
 
“Simple, I passed the ghost tour on my way home last night. You certainly are getting your exercise.” His eyes fell down the length of her body, even though she was in shorts and a light t-shirt Kagura started to feel uncomfortably warm. “Not that you need it.”
 
 
Kagura pushed her hands into her pockets. “I don't appreciate you gawking at me like I'm a piece of meat.”
 
 
His lips opened and she saw a brief flash of the tips of his canines. “Then I extend my apologies. However I don't gawk, I merely appreciate.”
 
 
He extended his arm and gestured in the direction of the curving stairs. “You must at least see my mural. I'll be offended if you don't.”
 
Kagura frowned. “That sounded allot like an order.”
 
 
He raised a brow. “Come on and lighten up. The house is full of people and I don't bite…much.”
 
 
I am not afraid of him and if going up those stairs will prove it then let's go.
 
 
She nodded her head. “Okay let's do it. But if you haven't had your rabies shot, I want to know right now.”
 
 
 
Kagura followed him up the graceful staircase. The chandelier was even more spectacular close up. He led her down a wide hall past several closed doors. At the end of the hall he paused and opened a set of white double doors revealing a large ball room. The oak wooden floor was flawless and no doubt original to the house. Large double windows faced the ocean and a set of French doors opened to a large balcony.
 
 
Along the plaster walls were freehand paintings of Japanese cherry trees in full bloom. The pinks of the delicate leaves added to the simple elegance of the room. A white grand piano set in the corner and a chandelier that matched the one in the foyer hung above the center of the floor from a large ornate plaster medallion.
 
 
Kagura walked the length of mural. “Do you have parties here?”
 
 
His voice was filled with a quiet pride. “We plan to break it in soon. I'm leaving the details to Rin but I think she was looking at the first week of October as a date. That way we can open these windows and let the breezes in. Other wise even with the a/c it's very easy to bake in the heat that rises up here from the lower floors.”
 
 
Kagura nodded. “I guess that makes sense.” The room made her feel out of place in her shorts and t-shirt.
 
 
Sesshomaru opened a white cabinet and bent down before it. Kagura wasn't sure what he was doing but soon soft acoustical guitar music filled the room. Kagura closed her eyes and bit back a curse when she recognized the opening riffs of Guns N Rose's Patience.
 
She crossed her arm over her chest in an effort to look as hostile as possible but Sesshomaru strode to her smiling and had the gull to offer her his hand.
 
 
Shed a tear 'cause I'm missing you
I'm still alright to smile
 
 
Kagura sighed as he took her by the shoulders and pulled her to his chest. His hand found the small of her lower back and his other hand closed over hers as they began to move slowly across the floor.
 
 
“So if I were to complain I'd guess you'd say this is just a dance.”
 
 
His eyes were closed and he nodded in response.
 
 
“I think I've heard that one before.”
 
 
Sesshomaru opened one golden eye and gently admonished. “Hush and enjoy the moment.”
 
 
Kagura shrugged and gave in. After all it wasn't like she was alone with him.
 
Said, woman, take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience
 
 
He pressed his cheek to her face and Kagura's senses were over taken by the intoxicating scent of sandal wood. Where does he get that stuff from? I could bathe in it.
 
 
She brought her free hand to his shoulder and his tied back hair brushed across her knuckles.
 
 
Girl, I think about you every day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
 
 
Kagura struggled to keep a grip on herself. I can't like him. He's an ass. Think about Kagome. He broke her heart. But then isn't the only sin he's guilty of, is caring too much about his family? She remembered digging through Kanna's room searching for any sign that she might be involved with Naraku. I guess I can understand but still Inuyasha is thirty or damn near it, he should be allowed to make his own decisions.
 
 
Sesshomaru moved them closer to the balcony and Kagura caught a glimpse of the bay.
 
 
Just a little patience, yeah
some more patience, yeah
need some patience, yeah
 
 
The song ended and Sesshomaru held both of her hands in his briefly before releasing her. Then he pushed open the French doors and stood out on the balcony. The wind caught his hair and whipped it behind him. Kagura followed him out and was impressed by the uncompromising view of Charleston Bay. The day was clear and she saw the edges of Johns Island in the distance.
 
 
He put his hands on the iron rail and leaned out into the ocean air.
 
 
“You read my letter?”
 
 
Kagura's heart dropped. “Yes and you have my thanks. Had I of known sooner he would've never…”
 
 
His next words surprised her. “Don't be too hard on yourself. You, unlike me, aren't willing to believe the worst about someone, unless of course the individual in question is myself.”
 
Heat rose high in Kagura's cheeks. “In my defense we didn't exactly meet under the best conditions. We had a lovely dance and then I heard you refer to me as a filthy human. What was I supposed to think?”
 
 
Sesshomaru raised his head and frowned. “I was a fool. There are no words that can ever excuse what I said or how I behaved.”
 
 
Kagura's breath froze in her throat. Of all the responses she expected that was never one of them.
 
XWXXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXXWXWXWXWXXWX
 
Notes:
Eliza's impression of Pemberley Darcy's estates:
And of this place,'' thought she (Elizabeth), “I might have been mistress! With these rooms I might now have been familiarly acquainted! Instead of viewing them as a stranger, I might have rejoiced in them as my own, and welcomed to them as visitors my uncle and aunt. But no,” recollecting herself,”that could never be: my uncle and aunt would have been lost to me: I should not have been allowed to invite them.'' This was a lucky recollection -- it saved her from something like regret. …Pride and Prejudice. J. Austin.
 
Bridget: “I owe you an apology about Daniel. He said you ran off with his fiancée and left him brokenhearted.”
Mark Darcy: “No, it was the other way around. My wife. My heart.” ….Bridget Jones's Diary 2001