InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Disciplined Breakdown ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 16
Disciplined Breakdown: My Beloved Monster
 
Kagura found she had no reply as she stood next to him lost in the heady scent of sandalwood, her heart pounding in her ears.
 
 
Sesshomaru's eyes met hers. She blinked but was unable to pull away. His tone was soft but serious. “I've made a mess of this. Let's start over.”
 
 
Kagura's lips opened and moved but she was breathing not talking. She licked her lips to delay as her mind swam. What do I say? Is it okay to have feelings for him after what he's done?
 
 
Sesshomaru saw her indecisiveness. “You don't need to have an answer for me now. Have dinner with us and spend tomorrow with me. It'll be an ordinary date.”
 
 
He reached out and clasped her hand in his. Kagura closed her eyes at the warmth of his hand on her skin. She heard her own voice answer. “Yes but don't read too much into this. This is just for fun. Nothing serious.”
 
 
Sesshomaru's expression lightened. “Absolutely! I think a day of utter silliness is called for. We'll bring Rin along as a chaperon.”
 
 
Kagura leaned towards him and put her cool hand to his forehead. “Silliness? Are you ill? I didn't even think you know the meaning of the word. And I think the word chaperon is archaic.”
 
 
He frowned and answered in a somber tone. “I hear silly is the opposite of serious, surely you realize I do own a thesaurus.”
 
 
Kagura blinked in surprise. “And you have a sense of humor too, who knew.”
 
 
Sesshomaru smiled softly as he lifted his hand and brushed her bangs out of her eyes. “You did, else you wouldn't be here.”
 
“I beg to differ. I was strong armed up here least I risk offending you.”
 
He chuckled and her ears didn't find the sound as alien as she had earlier. “It hasn't bothered you before.”
 
 
Kagura shrugged. “I call them as I see `em. But this is your home and so I was forced to defer just this once.”
 
 
Sesshomaru lowered his head and brushed his lips across her forehead. “The lake house is my home as well and that didn't put a damper on your tongue.”
 
 
Kagura's eye's closed. “That house isn't yours, it's Inuyasha's. The décor alone screams it.”
 
 
His breath brushed across her cheeks and the tip of nose. “You should watch your step…Else I might start to think you don't hate me as much as you claim.”
 
 
His hand started with her earlobe then traced her jaw line. Kagura surrendered to the moment and allowed him to tilt her face up to his. She whispered.
 
 
“Oh but Sesshomaru-sama I do hate you. More than I can ever describe.”
 
 
He commanded softly, “Then in that case, call me Sesshou.”
 
 
He brought his lips down to hers in a feathery hint of a kiss. Kagura's common sense came to a crashing halt as she leaned into him kissing him back with a passion she hadn't realized was within her. He nipped her bottom lip then sucked on it gently. She wound her arms around his neck and he pressed her back up against the iron rail taking full possession of her mouth and senses. Kagura's lips opened at his urging and she melted when the tip of his tongue met hers.
 
A disembodied voice came from inside the ballroom. “And if you look outside, as everyone is already doing, you will see my guardian shamelessly making out with some woman I've never met.”
 
 
Sesshomaru pulled his head up. “Damnation! That girl has the worst timing…”
 
Kagura's face burned as she glanced up and saw the whole tour group with their faces' pressed against the glass of the French doors. To make matters worse Kaede and Sango had front row seats. Sango was laughing and Kaede was openly flashing the thumbs up sign.
 
 
Rin shooed everyone back downstairs. Sango and Kaede exchanged quick glances when they were invited to dinner.
 
 
Kaede answered slowly. “I promised Sango we'd go to the Charleston Crab house so I'm afraid we already have plans. However I never invited Kagura so she's all yours.”
 
Kagura muttered, “Freaking traitors, the lot of you.”
 
Sango smiled brightly and held up her hands in a false apology. “That's right! We have reservations and it was just the two of us. So sorry.”
 
 
Kagura added, “No you're not.”
 
 
Rin appeared in the doorway. “I have plans with Holly. Sorry but I won't be here for dinner.”
 
 
Kagura gritted her teeth. “We've been set up. The Crab house doesn't take reservations.”
 
 
Sesshomaru turned to her and she felt the rest of the room drop away. “Do you like oysters and beer?”
 
 
She tilted her head. “If I say yes does that make me pedestrian?”
 
 
She heard the amusement in his tone. “Probably but pedestrian is hip these days.”
 
 
“Is it? Well then color me hip.”
 
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
Sesshomaru surprised her by leading her to the foyer and presenting her with a helmet. Kagura held in it her hands and asked.
 
 
“What's this for?”
 
 
“Tonight we're taking the Harley. Unless you have any objections?” He leaned against the front door studying her.
 
 
Kagura shrugged. “Cool, bring it on.”
 
 
He smiled and she felt as though she had just passed a secret test.
 
 
The motorcycle was a new Dyna Super Glide; it was sleek, low and black. Sesshomaru pulled on his own helmet and she climbed up behind him.
 
 
“Wrap your arms around me and hold on.”
 
Kagura nodded and he coasted from the driveway through the tiny alley that connected them to East Battery St. He artfully dodged cars and pedestrians as he drove up to Cooper Rd. The one way streets and old French Quarter flew by in a blur of bright lights.
 
 
Kagura was nervous. Her last trip on a motorcycle had been around the local mall where she worked back in high school. An older boy Jon picked her up, tried to impress her with his tattoo of James Dean's tombstone then shown off racing with her on the back of his new bike around the mall. One week later he totaled the bike and nearly earned a tombstone of his own. Now Jon was middle aged with a gut working at his parent's tire showroom while Kagura was taking another risk on a faster bike. She mused, its funny how fate works.
 
 
They crested the hill and the landscape fell away to a breath taking view of the Cooper River Bridge. The damn thing was barely safe and over a mile long. Sesshomaru raced up and across it. They were suspended over the city and the bay. Kagura gasped as tiny lights flew by far below them. She wanted to open her arms and fly but desperate terror kept her clinging tightly to Sesshomaru's back. When they reached the highest point she closed her eyes and buried her face in the back of his neck.
 
 
Fifteen minutes later and much to Kagura's relief they arrived at the Black Pearl. It was tiny, dive of an oyster bar just a moment's walk from the water's edge. The dress code was non-existence and the booths were dark and private. It was perfect. Sesshomaru helped her with her helmet and carried both under his arm as he held the door open. Unlike the Palm no one here recognized him but they were still led to a good seat.
 
 
The waitress sauntered up. She eyed Sesshomaru's ears with an open curiosity that barely masked her naked lust.
 
 
“Sexy ears ya got there. Wanna hear the specials?'
 
 
Kagura's gut burned with a fury she refused to acknowledge. Sesshomaru ignored the remark and ordered one dozen steamed oysters and two draft Killian's Irish Red.
 
 
Beer and steamed oysters. A man after my own heart, that waitress better watch out or I'm gonna use the oyster shucker knife on her wrinkled ass!
 
 
When the oyster bucket arrived Sesshomaru showed Kagura how use the shucker knife. Kagura watched as he slid the knife around the lip and used it like a lever on the oysters hinge. She smiled when he asked if she had it and nodded. Kagura picked up an oyster, slid the knife through to the hinge and popped it open effortlessly. She pulled the meat free and drank the liquor off the shell. The she quickly opened two more and offered one to Sesshomaru.
       
 
He took the half shell from her and his tone held the faint hint of annoyance at the sight of her smug smile. “Must you do everything for yourself?”
       
 
Kagura cut her eyes at him but couldn't hold the stern expression. She broke into low laughter. “If I waited for someone to do things for me then nothing would ever get done.”
     
 
He continued. “I know you painted your house yourself.”
       
 
She nodded, “So did you. That mural is fantastic. In fact I want one in my dining room.”
       
 
“Perhaps. What other talents do you have?”
       
 
Kagura thought for a moment. “Well, at the bank we take off one day a month and go work at a local habitat for humanity house. I can use all the power tools and recently I learned a bit about roofing. I also cook, manage other people's money, and I can speak Pig Latin.” She picked up another oyster. “I didn't realize I needed to bring a copy of my resume. Next time I won't forget.”
       
 
Sesshomaru raised a brow. “That was cold. I'm merely trying to get to know you.”
       
 
Kagura shrugged and leaned back holding her frosty beer mug. “Then ask me something normal.”
       
 
His lips lit with a wicked smile. “Well I already know who you favorite singer is...”
       
 
Kagura blushed. “I will never forget that day as long as I live.”
       
 
His eyes sparkled with the unspoken words, I know. Then he asked. “All right then, what's your favorite movie?”
       
 
“Easy, it's tie between Shawn of the Dead, Amadeus and Clerks. E tu?”
       
 
Sesshomaru paused. “Fight Club. I see something new every time I watch it.”
       
 
“Nice… Music?” Kagura propped her chin on her knuckles.
       
 
 Sesshomaru replied. “Rin of course, Josh is a close tie…but popular music, I'd have to say Guns N Roses and Pink Floyd.”
       
 
Kagura whistled, “Impressive. But you lose points because Inuyasha head bangs and you don't”
       
 
Sesshomaru frowned. “Of course he does. He's fearless and will try damn near anything. Believe me; I have the hospital bills to prove it.”
       
 
 
“Wow, sounds rough.”
       
 
“He's grown up allot but there was a time…”
       
Kagura laughed, “I can see that. But no one drives you crazy like family can. So what's your best scar?”
       
 
He made a face. “Excuse me?”
       
 
“That's okay I'll go first.” She lifted her foot up the seat cushion and pointed to a puckered line of skin that encircled her ankle.
 
“In grade school I was running across a soccer field where someone had left out a net made of rope. My foot went through the net and I was cool until the teacher pulled the other end up and dragged me across the field. I was beyond severely rope burned and now twenty years later I still have this funny scar.”
       
 
Sesshomaru had no idea how to respond. “That's the craziest thing…”
       
 
Kagura nodded and put her foot down. “Your turn.”
       
 
“Okay.” He took a deep breath and rolled up his shirt exposing his pale yet flat belly. A small thin line curved around his navel “I fell out a tree and landed on a pair of scissors when I was thirteen. The sight nearly killed my poor step-mother but I was fortunate enough that nothing critical was punctured. “
       
 
Kagura laughed and pushed the waist band of her shorts down showing a plum shaped mark on her upper hip. “Third degree burn, Go-Cart.”
       
 
Sesshomaru's eyes widened. “Damnation woman.” Then he pointed to a line that crossed cut across his left eyebrow. “Inuyasha and bottle rockets. He had them pointing towards me and I took one right above the eye. Other than that I was fine. He however wasn't as fortunate.”
       
Kagura picked up her mug, “so did you nearly beat him to death or what?”
       
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “He was ten and I was fourteen. I `accidentally' dropped the fully clawed family cat in the tub with him while he was taking a bath.”
     
 
Kagura snorted and nearly sent beer running out her nose. “Now that was just nasty.” Didn't Inuyasha mention Sesshomaru nearly drowned him in the tub? This is too funny.
       
 
“It really was horrible. He's had a deep seated hatred of cats ever since. Thank God he wasn't traumatized to the point of giving up bathing.”
       
       
It was impossible not to laugh. Kagura threw her head back and gave in. After she caught her breath she showed him the underside of her forearm. A black mark was embedded just below the inside of her elbow. Sesshomaru wrapped his hand around her arm and brought it closer to his face. “What the hell is that?”
       
 
Kagura grinned, “Do you like it? It's my latest soon to be scar. I got into an altercation with one of those damned Canadian geese that live outside our building at work. They nest in the parking garage and last week one decided that my car was now his and wouldn't let me by. So I swung my purse at him and…he flew up into the air then landed on my head. I ran around the first level yelling while it squawked and beat my head with his wings and scratched me with his claws.  This is where the little shit bit me.”
 

He released her arm and she continued.  “The next day I came to work and found someone had taken a Canadian goose beanie baby, tied a noose around its neck and suspended it over my desk from the ceiling. I'm sure they are saving the footage from the security camera for the office Christmas party. Next time I see that damned bird I'm gonna pepper spray his feathered ass. I don't care if he is protected and I get a fine.
       
 
Sesshomaru looked at her then he just shook his head in silent awe. “You are truly unique. I've never met anyone like you.”
       
 
Kagura blushed then asked. “So got any more good scars?”
       
 
“Yes but none that I can show without getting arrested for indecent exposure.” He chuckled.
       
 
Kagura cornered her eyes from side to side pretending to be shifty. “I guess you're right, that would be more of a tip than that waitress deserves anyway.”
       
 
He smiled and said softly, “Perhaps later.”
       
Kagura leaned back drinking her beer, “Perhaps, but I doubt it.”
       
 
His arm circled her waist and he pulled her against him while he mercilessly tickled her sides. Kagura choked trying to hold in her wails.  Sesshomaru chastised her in his sternest voice, “Mettle not in the affairs of dragons.” He dropped his head low and whispered in her ear. “For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.”
       
 
Kagura was clinging to the table and gasping. Finally she was able to wheeze the words. “Ketchup! Man, you are every shade of kinky aren't ya?”
       
Sesshomaru smirked. “You have no idea…”
       
“Of the depths of your depravity? Maybe not but I think I'm learning.” She grinned as she scooted away from him on the seat.
       
 
He leaned towards her and snapped his teeth in jest. Kagura pushed him away. “Down boy!”
 
 
“So do ya'll want your check now or what?” They both looked up and saw the glowering waitress with one hand on her hip.
 
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXXWXXW
They stumbled out of the Black Pearl almost unable to contain their laughter.
 
 
Kagura stopped to catch her breath. “She thinks we're into leather and whips!”
 
 
Sesshomaru muttered, “Serves her right for eavesdropping.”
 
 
The breeze pushed Kagura's hair back. “It was too funny.” She turned to him, her smiling face shiny under the bright lights of the porch.
 
 
Sesshomaru took Kagura's hand and pulled her to the wooden sidewalk down over the dunes. The white sand of the beach glowed under the pale light of the half moon. Except for a jogger and his dog the beach was deserted. Kagura watched the dog dance around its owner and felt a pang for Molly who was living La Vida Loca at Kagome's.
 
 
Kagura kicked off her shoes and walked through the shallow surf. The cool water felt good on her feet. Sesshomaru walked slowly behind her with his hands in his pockets. Kagura turned to him.
 
 
“Did you grow up here?”
 
 
“Yes for the most part. But I spent most of the year away at school.”
 
Pity welled inside her chest. “They sent you away? How cruel.” She looked out on the dark blue expanse of the night ocean. Sesshomaru paused beside her.
 
“No it was necessary. I've accomplished a great deal and most of it can be traced to the discipline I learned in boarding school.”
 
Kagura doubted this and asked. “Where did you go?”
 
 
“England for most of it, they have the best schools. It's a family tradition.”
 
 
“Is that where Inuyasha went?” The half brothers seemed to have so little in common.
 
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “Father didn't bring him in the house until he was eight and firmly grounded in a public education.”
 
Kagura considered this. “He must've gone through hell with those ears in a public school.”
 
 
“Not for long. He could take any bully and soon he was quite popular.”
 
She thought of Inuyasha's expression when she saw him at Carowinds watching Kagome. “So you were only twelve when you discovered you had a half brother and a new mom…”
 
 
Sesshomaru's face became flat and guarded. “I've known the ignorant whelp since the day he was born. And I don't appreciate your pity. I am the head of my family and very good at my career. I might be none of these things had I grown up any differently.”
 
 
Kagura bit back. “You are the last person I would waste a drop of pity on. So go stuff yourself.” She turned away and heard his footsteps in the water as her followed her. She rolled her eyes then asked something that had bothered her over the past months.
 
“You never told me, were you able to free that journalist held in Iran?”
 
His tone held a bitter note. “They sold him to Al-Qaeda. I negotiated his release but not before they slaughtered his assistant and put the video on the internet. They never wanted a ransom.”
 
 
Kagura froze then turned and saw he was staring at the sand and his golden eyes had a faint red tinge to them. His hair hung his shoulders veiling his face. She went to him and pulled his hair from his back.
 
 
“We… or somebody will find and stop them. You have to believe that. I'm sure no other man could have done as much as you did. You still saved a man's life; there isn't blood on your hands.”
 
 
He smiled cruelly and caught her hand squeezing it tightly in his. “Yes there is. I am Youkai and some customs are still alive and well.”
 
 
Kagura bore witness to the edge of his double nature and stood beside him. She didn't need to ask the fate of the kidnappers. Sesshomaru waited for her to say something or leave but she stood there returning his stare. He dropped her hand.
 
 
“I'm sorry if I frightened you.”
 
 
Kagura answered. “You didn't. Remember I'm in banking and it takes allot more these days to shake me up.”
 
 
He smiled approvingly, “You're strong. I admire that.”
She bent down to pull a shell from the sand. “Not really, I'm just smart.”
 
 
He threw her an off the cuff complement, “So I've noticed.”
 
 
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
They walked back to the bike and flew over the bridge. Sesshomaru paused at a stop sign and turned onto Meeting Street.
 
 
Kagura was puzzled and yelled over the sound of the engine. “Where are we going?”
 
 
He called back over his shoulder. “It's a surprise.”
 
 
She clung to his back as the wind whipped by. It was late and Sesshomaru navigated the streets with caution lest a drunk stumble in front of the Harley.
 
 
When the bike stopped Kagura instantly recognized where they were. “This is the Circular Congregational Church!”
 
 
Sesshomaru climbed off the bike and walked it through the side street. He pulled off his helmet and leaned the bike against the iron fence.
 
 
Kagura whispered. “What are we doing here?” The little graveyard gate was padlocked. Sesshomaru hopped the fence and offered Kagura his hand.
 
 
“We used to come here as teenagers. There's something you have to see. Be quiet and come here.”
 
 
Kagura decided to go against her better judgment and trust him. He took her hand and helped her over the fence. “Watch your step. This place is treacherous with all the stones so close together.”
 
 
Kagura nodded and ducked down when she saw a bat pass over head. Oh God this is too much, he is gonna get me killed.
 
 
They slipped through the ancient graves heading to the back of the yard towards the `newer' section. Sesshomaru put his hand on her arm and they stopped by the old Hutson-Peronneau crypt. Sesshomaru leaned back against the old bricks and Kagura followed his lead. They stood in silence, waiting.
 
What the hell are we waiting for? I hope we don't get arrested for trespassing. She glanced over and saw him check his watch.
 
 
He whispered, “Relax, we have a few moments.”
 
Sesshomaru wrapped his arm around her shoulders and Kagura leaned into his chest. The graveyard atmosphere was heavy but the worst part was the unforgiving clouds of mosquitoes. She slapped at them on her arms and legs. This has to be the perfect way to catch a good case of West Nile. Does he bring all his dates here? No wonder he's single.
 
 
He tapped her nose with his finger and turned her chin so she was looking toward the front of the crypt. The crickets stopped buzzing and it was so quiet she thought she could hear Sesshomaru breathing.
 
 
A thin white mist carpeted the ground and a woman in a long gossamer blue gown step out from the crypt and picked her way through the tomb stones. Her wispy hair and dress moved in a non-existent breeze and her translucent arms ended at her elbows. She stopped in front of a broken pillar baring the name of a fallen solider. She offered her open arms to the dark sky in a silent wail and threw herself on the grave.
 
Kagura watch in disbelief as the spirit laid across the grave only her upper torso visible as if her limbs had sunk into the ground. The she sat up on her knees and turned towards them.
 
 
Holy crap she knows we're here! Kagura gasped and tried to turn away. Sesshomaru's grip on her shoulder tightened. If she ran in the cluttered yard she'd break at least a leg or more likely her neck. He pulled her closed and wrapped both arms around her as he whispered. “It's okay she's harmless.” Kagura found little relief in his words.
 
 
The woman had no face. It was a white blank slate. Fear drained through Kagura and pooled in her feet leaving her filled with fascination and insane curiosity. Who was she and why was she here?
 
 
The faceless specter stood began to approach them killing Kagura's initial fascination. With each step she faded away then finally vanished leaving them alone. Kagura stood rooted to the ground with a death grip on Sesshomaru's arm.
 
 
“Who is she?”
 
 
“My great, great grandmother I think. We used to come out here and watch for her every summer.”
 
 
Kagura shivered. “Why didn't you at least warn me?”
 
She sent a sharp elbow into his side and heard him grunt.
 
 
“You went on that tour so I thought you liked ghosts.”
 
 
Kagura shot back “The tour wasn't my idea.” Then she said, “They didn't mention her in the tour.”
 
 
He shrugged and pulled her fingers lose from his arm. “She's a bit of a family secret. She came out here after the death of her husband waving some old sword. They say she claimed it could bring him back to life. When it didn't work she just gave up on life and died. I've the sword on display at home. It doesn't appear to be anything special. ”
 
 
“Maybe she waited too long to use the sword?”
 
 
“We'll never know. But Rin has had good luck using it on dying house plants.”
 
 
The distraught air of the cemetery was filled with a deep sadness. Kagura frowned then heard a creaking noise and nearly climbed up Sesshomaru's side.
 
 
He laughed, “It's only the crickets.”
 
Kagura dislodged herself from him and commented. “You have the strangest family.”
 
 
Sesshomaru chuckled, “That is an understatement.”
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXXWX
 
Sesshomaru drove Kagura back to Kaede's townhouse.
 
She stood with him on the porch looking out on the silent city streets.
 
 
“I've never had a night like this before.” She said honestly.
 
 
“I hope that means we're still on for tomorrow?”
 
 
Kagura paused before answering. “Just promise me you won't ask me to meet anymore of your ancestors up close and personal and you've got yourself a deal.”
 
 
He bent down to embrace her and Kagura surprised him by kissing him first and winding her fingers through his hair. Her hands found his face and she traced his features with her fingertips. Sesshomaru caught her hand and kissed the center of her palm. Heat flowed from her palm to her head and then down over her body. Kagura gave willing and Sesshomaru took her lips and felt her touch scorch the edges of his soul. He pulled away briefly and studied her; a newfound urgency lit his eyes.
 
 
“You don't have to stay here. I've wine and an incredible view of the ocean back at my house…” His clever fingers traced her collar bone as he issued the dark invitation.
 
 
Kagura's mouth opened to accept but then she stopped. Today was nice and there was something wonderfully complicated between them. Why risk everything on one night? “I'd love to but I think we need to give this more time.”
 
 
Her polite decline only excited him more. Sesshomaru pressed his lips to her neck and nipped gently. He hugged her tightly then stepped away.
 
 
“Make no mistake, our time will come.”
 
 
She smiled. “Perhaps.”
 
 
He brushed his hand across her cheek then turned and walked to the bike. She watched him shoot down the street his silver hair streaming behind him like a flag. I wonder when he'll realize he left his helmet here. Oh well, I hope yokai have harder heads than us measly mortals.
 
WXXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
 
 
Notes:
 
E tu is Latin for …and you?
 
I don't recommend sneaking into graveyards at night. It's an icky business. Or ride without a helmet for that matter.
 
“Her thoughts were all fixed on that one spot of Pemberley House, whichever it might be, where Mr. Darcy then was. She longed to know what at that moment was passing in his mind; in what manner he thought of her, and whether, in defiance of every thing, she was still dear to him. Perhaps he had been civil only because he felt himself at ease; yet there had been that in his voice which was not like ease. Whether he had felt more of pain or of pleasure in seeing her, she could not tell, but he certainly had not seen her with composure.”….Pride and Prejudice…J Austin.
Bridget: “You once said you liked me just as I am and I just wanted to say likewise. I mean there are stupid things your mum buys you, tonight's another... classic. You're haughty, and you always say the wrong thing in every situation and I seriously believe that you should rethink the length of your sideburns. But, you're a nice man and I like you. If you wanted to pop by some time that might be nice... more than nice.”
Mark Darcy: “Right, crikey.” …..Bridget Jones's Diary…2001