InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Path of Thorns ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Eighteen: The Path of Thorns
Kagura pulled off US-17 and merged onto Kings Highway. She turned onto Ocean Ave and the only reason she was able to drive through the strip at a steady 25 mph was because it was only seven am. A few more hours and the road would be jammed with cruising cars and no parking. She studied the hotels trying to decide where to start. She pulled into a public beach access parking lot and opened her car door.
Kagura's head was pounding but she was running on a killer adrenaline rush that kept her steady on her feet. She took a long drag off the Dayquil bottle and hit the streets. The first motel had bright pink stucco and faced the ocean. The Sand Dollar… My friends stayed here a couple times back in college.
And it didn't look as if it had been cleaned since. She repressed a shutter and banged on the glass window that served as the front desk. A dark haired man answered.
“Yes? Can I help you Mam?” he spoke through the tiny holes in the bullet proof glass.
“I'm searching for a missing person. Here's her picture, have you seen her?” Kagura pressed a recent picture of Kanna to the glass. The tired man squinted.
“I don't think so…”
“Has a man named Naraku Daisaki checked in here last night? I think they might be together.”
He shook his head. “We aren't allowed to release information on our guests without a warrant.”
Kagura silently cursed. “Are all the hotels gonna be the same way?”
“I'm sorry but yes, most likely.” He studied the picture she was still holding up to the thick glass. “There are allot of missing kids around here. It's gonna be like finding a needle in a giant haystack.”
Kagura shrugged. “What else can I do? If you were me would you give up?'
“Hell no.”
*****************************************************< /div>
Kagura visited every hotel on the strip. She tried the Yachtsman on the off chance Naraku would chose nice digs if they were using Kanna's money but no luck. They also refused to release the names of guests. By the time she got the Sea Jewel Kagura got smarter. She told the clerk she was supposed to meet a couple a friends but they hadn't shown up and she was worried. Could the clerk look them up and call their room or give her their phone number? This was a bit more effective than the truth but she still came up empty.
It was now 11am and the streets were filled with young people in scanty clothing and cars blaring loud music. One frat guy called out to Kagura as he cruised by in his convertible.
“Hey Babe! Doing anything later?”
Kagura took her photos to Kinko's and printed up flyers and began passing them out. She was on the corner by the Pavilion amusement park when a police officer told her she'd have to move on.
“But I'm searching for my sister, she's missing.”
He pulled out a pad of paper and removed his reflective sunglasses. “Have you filed a police report?”
She sighed. “I tried but she's 18 and they told me we'd have to wait three days or until we had proof it was too late.”
He frowned. “Sadly that's the policy. They are especially strict about it here because of the sheer amount of young people who run away to the beach. We simply don't have the staff to chase every loose end.”
Kagura sat on the bench and hugged her belly. “But I don't know what else I can do… It appears the State of South Carolina wants something bad to happen to my sister.”
The police officer sat beside her. “You're best bet is a private investigator. I know a real good one who specializes in these things. He's out of Columbia and charges a hefty fee but he'll find her and if time isn't on your side then he's your man. He's ex-FBI, the real deal.”
Kagura's eyes teared and she put her hand on his arm. “Thanks so much.”
*****************************************************
Before she left Kagura stopped in the police station. She filled out the missing person's report and added a couple of her pictures. The woman who accepted the report, and gave her a case number, made of point of emphasizing how low on the list of priorities her case was.
She pointed to the table behind her that overflowed with loose manila folders. “See those? They are all the missing young adult cases we've had in the past month.”
Kagura called information and got the phone number to Mark Starch, the PI recommended by the cop. She rang him and got his voicemail. It said he had a meeting but would be back in an hour or so. She checked her watch. Two pm. She left Starch a detailed message then slumped back in the seat of her car.
What now? Was there anything she hadn't tried yet? I can't just sit here in the police station waiting for him to call.
She pulled out of the parking lot and headed out towards Conway. It couldn't hurt to visit Starch in person. While she was waiting for his call she'd just drive to Columbia.
****************************************************
Kagura pulled up to Decker plaza and found the tiny office. He's in a freaking strip mall? How good can he be?

        The door was coated in a black opaque frost and announced in white letters Mark Starch Investigations. She pulled on the handle and it was locked. Damn it!

        Kagura leaned against the door trying to think what to do next. It was four pm and she was exhausted. She checked her phone but there were no messages. Kagura sat in her car with the radio on. Her eyes kept drooping. She locked her door and leaned back listening to the news.

        Twenty minutes later she awoke to the sound of her cell. She snatched it up and flipped it open.

        “This is Mark Starch returning a call from a Ms. Kagura?”
       
Kagura was instantly awake. “This is she!”
       
“Your problem sounds serious. Would you like to come in today?”
              Kagura answered, “Well I'm actually in your parking lot right now.”

        Starch was a slight man with an open friendly face. He looked more like a sports news caster than a hard assed ex-FBI man. He shook her hand and studied her face.
       
“Have you seen a doctor? You don't look so hot.”
       
Kagura sat in the chair facing his desk. “So I hear but this is more important than a bad case of the flu.”
       
He shrugged. “Maybe, so tell me what we're dealing with.”

        Kagura quickly explained Kana was at the beach with her dangerous ex. Starch folded his fingers into a temple pressing the tips of his index fingers together and leaned back in his inexpensive office chair. “What makes you think he's dangerous?”
        “He was on the verge of violence when we broke up. Also he's been seen outside my work doing stalker things and I've been getting hang up calls.”
       
He paused then asked, “Why'd you break up?”
       
Kagura looked at the wall behind him. “A friend of mine exposed him as a lair and a criminal.  Apparently he has a penchant for young girls and is a registered sex offender. I think he'll wants to hurt me through Kanna.”
       
Starch took Naraku's name and ran it through his data base. His brows raised as the matches kept piling up.
       
Kagura picked up her checkbook. “How much do you need to get started?”
       
Starch pulled off a stack of papers from his printer and dropped them on the desk. “Lady this might not cost you a thing. Looks like our man here is on a terrorist watch list.  He is suspected of illegal weapon trafficking.”
       
Kagura's mouth dropped open. “What the hell was he doing just walking around free in Charlotte?”
       
Starch shrugged. “North Carolina isn't the most secure state. They give illegal aliens driver's licenses for Christ sakes. But when we bring him in the Federal government will cover my fees and then some.”
       
She closed her eyes and then broke down into spasms of loud hacking coughs. Starch offered her a paper cup of water. “Sure you should be up and around?”
       
Kagura accepted the water and glared at him.
       
“When we're done here you should really get some rest. You can't testify in a court of law if you die of whooping cough or whatever that is.”
       
She sighed. “I'll be better when I get Kanna back. I went hotel to hotel but no one's seen her.”
       
He smiled. “Leave that to me. I know who to ask.”
       
“Where do we start?'
       
“I'll take your pictures and your cell number. Now leave it to me. I'll be in touch constantly.”
       
He paused in thought then picked up the phone. “I think I am gonna bring in a skip tracer on this.”
       
“What's a skip tracer?”
       
“That's jargon for bounty hunter.”
       
Kagura's heart jumped. “She's in that much danger?”
        “Maybe but most likely he hasn't hurt her. She probably doesn't even know something's wrong. If she did she'd be upset and might try to escape and then she'd make more work for him.
It's much easier for him if she stays of her own free will. He'll probably want to keep her happy for the time being.”
        “So, what can the bounty hunter do?”

        Starch picked up a pen and balanced it on his finger. “Lots of things and most of them might even be legal.”

He dropped the pen then dialed a number on the phone. “Hey buddy its Starch.”

Kagura heard an exclamation from the party on the other end.
         
He leaned back in the chair and answered. “Yeah, I know. Are you still in town?”
       
“Great! Would you mind dropping in. I've got a live one for ya.”
       
“He's got a young girl too so time is crucial. Her sister's here now.”
       
“Okay, see you in a few then.”
       
Starch hung up. “He'll be here soon.”        

Kagura leaned her elbows on his desk and held her head. “I don't know where everything just went so wrong.”

“Don't be hard on yourself. It's a freaky world. Sometimes things just happen. But I'm what happens to bad people.” He gave a sinister grin that ruined his clean cut image.
************************************************
The office door swung open and a man with long dark hair in khakis shorts and a black t-shirt entered. He saw her and did a double take.
“Kagura, is that you?”

She opened her eyes and recognized him. “Koga? You're a bounty hunter?”

“Babe, the word is skip tracer and when you need a job done right ya gotta call the wolf.” His pride was evident in his tone.

Kagura slumped back down in her seat. Well why the hell shouldn't it be Koga. Nothing else in this world is making sense.

He rubbed his hands together and cracked his knuckles. “So whatcha got for me?”

Starched passed him the stat sheet. “He isn't a skip but he is wanted for questioning for the sale of illegal weapons and now he's hidden away in some rate hole in Myrtle Beach with her 18 year old sister.”

Koga frowned as he read the paper. “I know this mother. He's bad news.”

Kagura added, “He told me he was a contractor for the military and dealt in heat seeking missiles.”

Koga laughed, “And you believed him? Sounds like a load of crap, but it turns out that isn't really far off from the truth. Guess he just failed to mention whose military he was supplying.”

Kagura's mouth went dry. “And whose military would that be?”

“Looks like he has some connections with the old USSR, the Sudan, Myanmar, and he's close friends with all the usual suspects in the Middle East.”

Oh course he is… Kagura almost began to cry.

“I haven't seen head nor tails of Naraku since Sesshomaru went after him. Quite frankly I'm surprised he's still alive.”

Starch added. “Damn shame about that too.”

Koga asked. “Did he warn you about Naraku?”
       
All Kagura could do was nod.

“Was it too late?” asked Starch.

She sighed, “Apparently. Kanna doesn't know he's a monster and as far as I know they don't have a romantic connection but I could be wrong.  I've been wrong a lot these days.”        

Koga took the seat beside her and propped his boots on the edge of Starch's desk. Starch glowered at him but he ignored him. “You know what you gotta do don't you?”

She cut him a quick glance. “What's that?

        “Ya ain't gonna like it, but you need to call Sesshomaru. It's only right and he still wants a major piece of this guy.”
       
        Kagura spoke through gritted teeth, “Are you telling me that you cannot help me?”

        He shook his head. “Oh I'll get the job done and fast. But it's the right thing to do.”

        Kagura leaned her head back and counted the ceiling tiles. “I don't think he's talking to me right now and it seems the both of you will soon have this under control.”

        Starch stated. “We can never have too much help and a lawyer like him is a powerful ally even if he is partially retired.”
       
        Partiallyretired? He's not even thirty five yet! “We'll see. But for now just get Kanna back. I don't care about the freaking Sudan or Myanmar Burma. Just get my sister before he does anything to her!”

        Koga dropped his hand on her shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze. “Consider it done!”
        Kagura looked from one man to the other. Why are they just sitting there! “So, are you gonna get started or what?”
       
        Starch said, “We're already half way there. I've put out an inquiry on him and am getting copies of all his public records. This will take another ten minutes or so then we'll take this show on the road and head to the beach.”

        She nodded. “Good. Now what do you want me to do?”

        Starch asked. “Weren't you staying in Charleston?”

        “Yes. So?” And what does that have to do with anything?

        He continued. “Then it's best for you to be where Naraku expects to find you. He might not know you're looking for him yet.”

        “Oh he knows, Kanna called my answering machine. She said he told her to tell me hi.” Her skin chilled the memory of Kanna's perky tone.

        “But having you in Charleston might be part of his plan and I'd hate to ruin it. If he's coming to us then why make it hard. I'll send someone to watch the town house tomorrow. Just don't go anywhere alone.” Starch's plan made sense by Kagura wasn't sold yet.

        Koga nodded. “That is a great idea. And you can rest up and get over what ever the hell kind of flu you've got there.”

        “You don't want me to help?” Kagura was skeptical.

        Koga put an arm over the back of her chair. “Babe, you'd only be in the way.”

        She pushed his arm off the chair. “I'm not your babe.”

        Starch said, “Please go back to Charleston and don't go anywhere without your cell. Anything we need from you can be faxed. We need to get this guy and fast before he's on the move.”
       
        Kagura bit her lip. “Okay but I'm calling you every time I feel like it.”

        Koga said. “Sure that's fair.” He shrugged knowing he had caller ID on his cell. His voice became serious. “Think about what I said. Sesshomaru is a powerful taiyokai. I know you don't like him but he will help.”

        Kagura answered softly, “I never said that.”

        Koga's brows popped up. “Really, could've fooled me.”
*****************************************************< font color="black">
        Notes:
“Tuesday 19 August…..11am Bangkok Airport:
A terrible nightmare seems to be happening. Blood all seems to be racing through my head and I can hardly see. Shaz went on ahead of me to hold up the plane while I brought the luggage. Had to walk past an official with a dog on a leash, which was straining at my bag and barking. The airline officials all started jabbering, and then an army woman took me and the bag away to a separate room. They emptied the hold all (bag), then took a knife and slashed open the lining, and inside was a polythene bag full of white powder. And then…Oh God, Oh God. Someone help me.”
…….Bridget Jones the Edge of Reason (the book), Helen Fielding 19998
Mr. Bennet: This is a parade,'' cried he, ``which does one good; it gives such an elegance to misfortune! Another day I will do the same; I will sit in my library, in my night cap and powdering gown, and give as much trouble as I can, -- or, perhaps, I may defer it till Kitty runs away.”…..Pride and Prejudice…J Austin.