InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Pride Before the Fall ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Nineteen: Pride before the Fall

        Kagura left the office and was driving back on I-26 towards Charleston. Her sides hurt from the coughing but she didn't have time to concentrate on the pain. Those two had better be the best in the business. I don't know what I would do if I lost Kanna. She's my only family left and my whole life.

        She checked her cell frequently but there were no calls. She called Starch just to see where they were. They were halfway to Myrtle Beach and already working with the police for back up and a search warrant for when they located Naraku.  She was pleased that they'd already done so much in less than two hours.

        The sun was setting and its bright light blinded her. She pulled on sunglasses and they didn't help. Kagura flipped down the visors but the glare of the sun only served to worsen her aching skull. For a moment she was nauseous with the pain. She spotted a rest stop and pulled over until the spell ended.

        She got back on the road just as the heat of the day was giving away to the regular later afternoon shower. The light rain turned ugly fast and soon she was driving in what appeared to be a tropical storm. It was nearly impossible to see the white line of the road and a semi truck almost swerved into her.
       
        The traffic slowed to a crawl and everyone was using their emergency blinkers in the rain. Kagura was so tired she had to turn the radio up all the way to keep her concentration.
        Her mind tuned out the talk show and kept replaying Koga's advice. “Ya ain't gonna like it, but you need to call Sesshomaru. It's only right and he still wants a major piece of this guy”.
       
        She called Sango and was told Sesshomaru had never come back. Big surprise there. She updated her on the search for Kanna and had to disconnect when the torrential rain started back up.

        How can I go to him when he hates me? What can he do that I haven't already.  She coughed and crushed her breasts against the steering wheel with the force of the cough. Damn it! That really hurt.
       
        Soon the idea of Sesshomaru seemed more of a comfort than just a solution to her problems. She wished vehemently that she had been upfront with him. Every thing is so broken. I don't know how to fix it.

        It was after dark and still raining when she turned off on the Meeting Street exit.  I should just go back to Kaede's.  But the car seemed to have a mind of its own and was heading towards Rainbow Row.  This doesn't mean anything. I'll just pass by the house and see how I feel…

        The brick house was lit up and its warm windows shown like a beacon in the heavy rain. Kagura bent to turn the key in the ignition but something stopped her. I'm so selfish. Who cares what I think, or if he is mad at me, or if he doesn't even like me anymore.  Koga was quite clear. Sesshomaru is the one who can bring down Naraku. He's done it before and will be happy to do it again. All that matters is that I get Kanna back. I don't care what I have to do or what price it will cost me. Pride is nothing when it comes to Kanna.

        Kagura took a deep breath. She was bone tired and this was hard. But maybe her fatigue would make it easier. I have no other choice.  Besides it's fitting, after all it was his great granny who warned me Kanna was in trouble. Kagura wondered if she'd seen her because of the fever but somehow she doubted it.

        She climbed out of the car and slowly crossed the street. The warm rain drenched her clothes and her hair was sopping wet. She raised a shaky hand and rang the old fashioned crank door bell.

        Fast light foot steps sounded on the wooden foyer floor and Rin answered the door.

        “Oh Kagura, are you feeling well enough to be out in this? You're soaked to the bone, what happened to you?”

        “Please I must see Sesshomaru. It's important.” She coughed into her hand.

        Rin frowned. “He's out on business; I don't know when he'll be back.”

        Kagura's face fell in disappointment. “Tell him I was here.” She turned to leave but Rin stopped her.
       
        “Why don't you wait for him here?  You're very ill and I can't let you out like this. He'll be so pissed if he thinks I was rude to you.”

        Kagura was surprised. She must not know he isn't speaking to me. “Okay.”

        Rin showed Kagura to a guest room and brought her towels. “Here give me your clothes and go take a shower. Then get some sleep. I'll wake you when he gets back.”
       
        Kagura was reluctant to part with her clothes as wet as they were.  Rin assured her it was no big deal. “Keep your underwear and you can borrow my big fluffy bath robe. See, no big!”
       
        Kagura gave in and found herself under the warm spray of a luxury shower that had waterfall jets. I must get back here when this is over and I can truly appreciate this shower.
       
        She was almost too weak to wash her hair but forced herself to do it after she realized she'd gone almost three days without a proper shower.  I was so sick and then I didn't have time before I left this morning.
       
        When she finished she wrapped a towel around her hair and pulled her bra and panties back on while thanking God she had changed clothes that morning. She found Rin's robe hanging from behind the door on a steel peg. It's big on her but on me it's short. But it was still better than her wet, wrinkled clothes.  

        Kagura pushed open the door making sure she was alone in the hall. All was clear so she wobbled across the hall towards the guest room. She heard a footstep on the wood floor and lifted her heavy head. Sesshomaru stood at the end of the hall looking at her, frowning.
       
        She froze like a deer in head lights feeling ridiculous in the short robe and towel. He crossed the threshold of what had to be the master bedroom and shut the door behind firmly behind him.
       
        At first she was embarrassed then saddened. He really is livid. I wish things were different.  She hung her head. The floor was beckoning and that wasn't a good sign. I'd better get this over with before I collapse here on the stupid floor.

        Kagura was out of gumption. She pictured Kanna in her mind and this helped her cross the distance to the closed door. She raised her fist, knocked and waited.

        There was no answer.

        Kagura called out. “Please, I don't care if you're mad at me. I need your help!”

        Still nothing.  
The weight of the past two days became over whelming and pushed her to the floor. She leaned her bare cheek to the cool wood of his door and burst into uncontrollable tears. This isn't fair! This is about Kanna not us.  But he didn't know about Kanna, he was locked behind the solid door while she sat in puddle of herself outside in the hall under the cold stream of air from the overhead vent.

        Kagura's right hand formed a fist and she pounded it against the door. Her voice broke as she yelled. “God damn it! This isn't about us. Sesshomaru get your ass out here and help me!
Silence…

        POUND! POUND! POUND! “Sesshou! Please”

        Tears ran down her face and she chocked on her sobs. “You were right. I can't do it all by myself. I need you… Please, SESSHOU… Don't leave me out here…I'm sorry I ruined everything. I never loved him…I was wrong and I do need you. All I ever wanted is you…”

        POUND, POUND and SLAP!
….her open hand smacked the door and slid down the panel.  She laid her face on the smooth, polished wood floor. “Sesshou….I

        The door opened abruptly and he stood there in only a pair of blue shorts and a towel, his wet hair was combed back from his face and held behind his pointy ears.   He hadn't heard me because of the shower… He was the most beautiful thing she'd ever beheld. “Sesshou…you came.

        Sesshomaru bent down beside her. He put the palm of his hand over her forehead and felt her fever. Still silent he slid his hands under her, lifted her into his arms and carried her over the threshold to his room. He kicked the door shut behind him.

        Kagura was past exhaustion and on the verge of delirium. Her head rolled back and she tried to focus on his face as it hovered over her. The towel fell from her head and landed on the floor.

        “Please…don't be mad anymore...”
       
        Sesshomaru hushed her. “Shhh…”
And set her gently across his bed. His hands slid under her robe and rolled her free from the confides of the terry cloth. Kagura was too relived to be embarrassed that she was only in her underwear. Her head fell back onto his pillow. It doesn't matter because he's in his skivvies too. And what nice shorts they are…

        His elegant hands were cool on her warm skin and she gave up respectability and allowed him to roam her body freely. Sesshomaru ran his fingers down the sides of her throat and felt her swollen glands. She was hot behind her knees and her skin pale under her light tan. Normally he'd take his time when investigating such intriguing tan lines but these were extenuating circumstances.

        He left her side briefly and returned with a cool glass of water. He supported the back of her head with his arm as she drank the water. She felt his chest brush her bare back. Kagura opened her eyes and met his glittering golden gaze. “Help me.” She pleaded, “Naraku has Kanna.”
       
        She felt the muscles in his arm clench under her head. He only uttered a few words. “When and where?”

        “Yesterday maybe, in Myrtle Beach. I hired a PI his number is in my cell.”

        He lowered her gently to the pillows and left her while he pillaged the guest room for her purse and phone. He returned and paced the floor as he scanned her call history.
       
        Kagura heard the sound of a phone ringing from the other side of the line.
       
        Koga answered. “Kagura, we're still looking. I promise we'll call as soon as we have something.  Please gimme some time to work here…”
         
        Sesshomaru's eye narrowed and he snapped, “Koga, this isn't Kagura.”
               
                “Hey man! It's good to talk to you. I told her to get you involved. I'm glad she listened. She's so stubborn sometimes.”
               
                He paused by the bed and looked down on her from under his lashes. She was barely awake and hanging on his every word. “She's been through a lot. I think we should find a fast end to this.”

        Sesshomaru walked to the window and out of Kagura's hearing. “Find him and when you do let me know and I will take it from there.”
       
“We're having problems with the search warrant. Seems if you don't know the location of your perp they don't like to give ya a warrant.”
       
        “That is not your problem. I will have you a warrant within the hour.”

        “Do you want to join the man hunt?” Koga knew what finding Naraku would mean to Sesshomaru.

        “No, I'm needed here. Just find her. And if the news is bad I will be the one to tell her.”

        He ended the call and saw the picture saved on the phone. A smiling white haired girl in a green graduation gown proudly displayed her diploma to the camera.
Sesshomaru dropped Kagura's cell in her purse and picked up his own phone. He dialed the doctor.
Kagura waited and soon she felt the bed move under his weight as Sesshomaru sat on the mattress beside her. “We will find her.” It was a statement of truth, as though he had no doubts of the outcome.
**********************************************************
The doctor arrived and examined Kagura. She was barley awake. He took her temperature and took a culture with a long swab from her throat. He met Sesshomaru on the balcony.
“I'll have to wait for the lab results but I think she's got strep throat. I have some good antibiotics I can leave you.”
Sesshomaru frowned, “What about that cough?”
“Has she been under a lot of stress lately?”
“She's the sole guardian of her younger sister who was recently kidnapped.”
The doctor was shocked but shook it off. “That would be enough to weaken the immune system and the cough is the result of that.”
“Will she be okay?”
“Yes but she should stay in bed for a few days.” The older man caught Sesshomaru's eye. “I know you will make sure she does.”
 
The doctor left and Sesshomaru brought Kagura her first dose of antibiotics. He sat behind her pressing her naked back to his warm chest then put the pills on her tongue and helped her wash them down with water. Once she swallowed he kissed her neck and helped her lay down on the cool sheets. Kagura fell back to the edge of blissful sleep.
She turned slightly and her bra strap twisted around her shoulder. Sesshomaru saw it and reached around her back and undid the snap. He pushed down her straps and pulled the bra free then tossed it on the bedside table.
Kagura's eyelashes fluttered and she watched his hands graze her ribcage as he brushed a soft kiss on the slight curve of her belly. His eyes drank in the sight of her bare breasts and his long, damp silver hair brushed across them when he wrapped her in the sheets watching her as she slipped off into sleep. Kagura was surprised, she felt cherished and protected not exposed. Her eyes closed and she finally let go.
********************************************************
Notes:
Mark Darcy: [Bridget gets out of bed covered in a sheet and begins to fumble around] What on Earth are you doing?
Bridget Jones: Getting dressed.
Mark Darcy: Why are you dancing around in that tent business?
Bridget Jones: Because I don't want you to see any of my wobbly bits.
Mark Darcy: Well now that's a bit pointless isn't it. As I happen to have a very high regard for your wobbly bits. In all circumstances.
Bridget Jones: [Bridget's head emerges from the sheet] Really?
Mark Darcy: Absolutely. I think it's high time we had another look.
[Bridget drops the sheet on the floor]……Bridget Jones, The Edge of Reason …2005