InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Misunderstandings and Good Intentions ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 20
Uncertainties, Misunderstandings & Other Good Intentions
Sesshomaru sat beside Kagura on the bed with the laptop open on a pillow in front of him. He had every Inu family resource focused on finding Naraku. So far no luck but that would change soon enough. Normally he would be leading an operation like this in person with more of a hands-on approach but he couldn't bring himself to leave Kagura. Not yet.
He was plagued with an undeniable guilt. Once he'd seen Naraku in Carowinds he should have done more than just send the damned letter. Naraku was unpredictable and was obviously infatuated with Kagura and her sister. He pushed it away and concentrated on the computer. Guilt was a pointless waste of his time that could be better spent in pursuit of Naraku and Kanna.
His thoughts kept returning to the previous night when he saw Kagura in the hall and left to shower and change.
Once in the shower he heard the knocking. Instead of opening the door immediately as he probably should have, he stood and listened. She called him by his name and not title for the first time and confessed to needing him.
`I never loved him…I was wrong and I do need you. All I ever wanted is you…' Her words had stayed with him all night. It was a shame it took such circumstances to bring them out.
It was only moments before dawn and he could hear the calls of the early morning sea birds. Sesshomaru felt a chill in the air and glanced up from the laptop to the balcony.
Sure enough a familiar blue figure stood outside the open French doors watching him. Her face was thin and skeletal, this time she wore a long shawl that blew behind her in a non-existent wind.
I haven't seen her here at the house since I was a child. I wonder…?
He spoke aloud. “I see you watching over us… What is it that you know that I don't? Is there something I missed or haven't thought of?”
She ignored him and her milky eyes never strayed from Kagura's sleeping figure. She was attracted to her. He wasn't surprised, he'd heard his Grandmother claim the Blue lady often came to inspect her predecessors. That's a good sign for me; you think Kagura's going to be around for awhile. Rin will be very pleased once she gets over the impropriety of the sleeping arrangements…
*****************************************************< /div>
Kagura woke and found herself wrapped tightly in a heavy blanket. She wiggled her legs to free herself and realized what covered her was not bedding. She opened her eyes and the room was dark; it was light out but the curtains were drawn. She was still in Sesshomaru's room and he was beside her sleeping in only his blue boxers. His chest pressed against her back and her head rested on his arm. His other arm wrapped around her hip. His soft hair veiled his face and spilled over onto her shoulders.
Okay…this is awkward. She moved her head and was instantly reminded how weak she was. But the pounding in her head had subsided to a low roar. Thank God for that.
She wanted to be angry but she wasn't. It was obvious he hadn't taken advantage of her while she was sleeping. And what did she expect? After all hadn't she literally thrown herself at his door? Actually I could get used to this. His hand moved over her bare side and a coil of heat twisted in her belly. Maybe I should move that hand some place else…
Kagura relaxed and closed her eyes as she snuggled back into her yokai pillow whose unconscious hand found his way to her breast. She smiled and swatted it away. Youkai or not he is such a man and I guess they never change.
The she remembered Kanna. Kagura sat up with the intent of finding her cell phone. The abrupt movement woke Sesshomaru. He pulled her back down to the bed and against him.
“You aren't going anywhere.”
“But Kanna! I gotta call Starch…”
His cool voice assured her. “I've got both cell phones and the laptop. Every possible thing had been done and even the police have generously decided to cooperate. They are going from hotel to hotel checking guest registries. I need you to get better. Stay here with me.” He ended the command with by pressing his lips to the back of her warm neck.
“How long have we've asleep?” She looked about the room for a clock and found none.
“You've been out maybe ten hours. I just laid down for a nap. Koga checked in with me an hour ago and he doesn't know where Naraku is but he thinks they are getting close. So far no signs of anything foul.”
Kagura confessed. “I'm so scared. Not knowing if she's all right… it's the worst. Kanna isn't stupid. I can't believe she'd pull a stunt like this.”
Sesshomaru said simply, “She's just a kid. She made a mistake. One that she'll never forget but it's not the end of the world.”
How can he of all people be so nonchalant about it? Maybe he is thinking about Rin.
Kagura's wet eyes found his. “Are you sure it will be that simple? She'll be fine and just a bit wiser? Sounds like a bad after school special to me.”
He sighed and hugged her to him. “Nothing is simple but if he's hurt her he will not live to tell about it. I swear on the blood of this family.”
She closed her eyes. “Thank you.”
Sesshomaru leaned down and kissed her. Kagura's tears rained free but then she hadn't had much control over them lately. “You're going to catch my bug.”
He pressed his face into her sheet covered chest. “I never get sick, but your concern is sweet.”
Kagura wanted to say something but didn't know what. Is this the price I pay or a great gift? I do want him… Why is every stupid little thing so complicated? “Are you sure this is what you want?”
He lifted his head and studied her with glowing amber eyes. “I'm past sure. I know you are what I want.”
She drew in a fast breath. “You won't regret it later, because I'm human?”
“I will never regret knowing you. Just because of who you are.”
Her hands found his hair and she wound her fingers through it. I wonder if he's ever braided this? He delighted in her touch and rested his head on her belly. Kagura wrestled with herself trying to come to a decision.
Sesshomaru put her nerves to rest. “I hope you realize it's safe to stay here with me like this. Nothing will happen. Not now. I don't want you to sleep with me because you think it'll somehow compensate me for helping with Kanna. I want to wait until you are better then I plan on wringing every drop of sweat from you.”
Kagura smiled. “You might be exaggerating your talents.”
Sesshomaru tapped her on the nose with his forefinger. “I never exaggerate. Embellish, perhaps but never exaggerate.”
She paused then frowned. “So I guess this means you aren't mad at me?”
He lifted his head and sat crossed legged beside her. “No I'm not mad. I'm incensed.” She saw his eyes change as his tone deepened. Oh shit, me and my big mouth. I just had to ruin this and say something.
Kagura avoided his gaze. He snapped a fast order. “Kagura, look at me.”
She did and then wished she hadn't.
“You do not have a cold. You have a very serious case of Strep. Had you not come here last night you would be in the hospital. Your sister was taken but you did not ask me for help when you knew I would give it. You traipsed all over this God forsaken state and risked your own life rather than shelving that insufferable pride and coming to me first.”
He leaned forward and his long hair fell across her lap. Sesshomaru took her face in his clawed hands. “You know I care deeply for you. I've said it every way I know how except with my body and a ring. How can you put me through this?”
Kagura sat wide eyed. His nose was mere inches from hers and he still held her face. He's waiting for an answer.
She choked on her words. “I thought you chucked me because I dated Naraku.”
His eyes closed and frowned. “I was angry but then I realized something.”
Kagura whispered. “What's that?'
“I wasn't giving you enough credit. If you are the woman I think you are then I simply have to trust you. Besides whatever happened is in the past and you are well rid of him.” He was willing to give me the benefit of the doubt? He trusts me?
Kagura blinked and smiled. “But nothing happened.”
Sesshomaru's stone expression cracked and he broke down into a relived smile.
She continued. “Apparently I melt faster over fancy dinners and rude declarations of love than I do with illegal arms dealers.”
He ran his fingers down her shoulders and clasped her hands. “I knew the Groban kid would do it. I owe him one.”
Kagura yawned. “Yeah, but I don't know if they make thank you cards for that.”
He laughed and leaned forward and drew her earlobe between his sharp teeth, “Screw the card, I'm sending him a gift basket.”
She lay back down on the bed and Sesshomaru pulled the sheets up around her tucking her in. “Make sure it's something good like Ghirardelli or Godiva. Don't flake out and go Hickory Farms.”
Sesshomaru chuckled. “You know what else Ghirardelli makes?”
“What?” She closed her eyes.
Two words rolled off his lips “Chocolate sauce.”
“You are a wicked man aren't you? Well it's a step up from the ketchup.” She played it down and ignored the visual of Sesshomaru in his shorts and a warm bottle of good chocolate. I must be feeling better to have thoughts like that…
“Indeed it is.” He lay beside her and kept watch while she slept.
*****************************************************< /div>
Sesshomaru opened the kitchen door to find Rin perched on a stool at the breakfast bar with a large steaming mug, watching the flat screen TV that hung on the wall. He shut the door and came up behind her to inspect the mug and saw it was brimming over with hot, black coffee.
He frowned. “I don't like you drinking that. It isn't good for you.”
Rin rolled her eyes. “I'm eighteen and it's just coffee. Lighten up and don't be such a drag.”
He sat beside her lifted the mug and took a long sip. “At least it's Sumatran. You've good taste.”
She raised an eyebrow. “But of course I do, I grew up here didn't I. It was beaten into me.”
He growled playfully. “Such insolence, apparently I didn't beat you enough.” Sesshomaru reached out his clawed hand and mussed the top of her head.
She ducked, “Don't do that, you'll mess up my hair. So how's Kagura”
His eyes turned to the news program. “Better but still pretty damned sick. I have no idea how she let it come to this.”
Rin grinned and slyly stole back her coffee mug. “She wanted to leave you a message but it was my idea that she stay. I knew you'd want it that way.”
His lips thinned as he reached for the mug and found it missing. “We're lucky she didn't collapse in the bathroom and break her fool neck.”
“Sesshomaru-sama you know I wouldn't have let her shower if I knew how bad she really was.”
He nodded as he whisked the coffee back to his side of the counter. “I know. She is so stubborn. She thought I wanted to stop seeing her because she'd dated someone I didn't like.”
Rin slid off the stool and went to the coffee pot where she brazenly poured herself another cup and stood out of his reach. “Can't say that I blame her for feeling that way. You aren't the easiest person to understand or even get along with. In fact I am going upstairs right now to thank her for putting up with your insufferableness.”
Sesshomaru glared at her. “Funny, funny child…”
She leaned back against the black marble counter. “So you know the house rule.”
“I do? What rule is this” He was back to the news show.
Rin set her mug down and threw him a wicked grin. “Ya know the one that says if you are caught with a member of the opposite sex in your room then there's gonna be a wedding.”
He bit the side of his lip and rolled his eyes. “Please, everyone knows that rule only applies to you.”
She raised a finger in protest. “You are such a hypocrite, lucky for you I figured that out a while ago.”
“What makes you say that?” He turned towards her.
Rin laughed, “It's simple really. If you enforced that rule than Inuyasha would've been arrested years ago on massive counts of bigamy.”
Sesshomaru shook his head, “That uncle of yours is a horrible influence.”
“Yeah about that…”
“About what?”
Rin pushed herself up and sat on the countertop. She did it purposely to vex him and it worked. “Inuyasha hasn't been himself lately and I was wondering if you had anything to do with that?”
“You're pushing it today Rin.” His voice was flat with warning.
“I just think what you did was wrong.” She stubbornly returned his angry stare.
“I fail to see how any of this is your concern.”
She sighed, “You aren't completely heartless you know, even if you do like to pretend you are.”
He responded with a short, “So?”
“Well for starters who's upstairs and naked in your bed? Sure as hell ain't the Easter bunny.”
Sesshomaru couldn't believe he was even entertaining this conversation. “She's very ill.”
Rin leaned forward. “Seems like to me we have five lovely guest bedrooms where other ill guests have fared just fine and still managed to stay mostly clothed.”
He slammed his mug down on the counter. CLUNK! “Who in the hell told you she was naked!”
Rin smiled. “You just did. Until this point I was only guessing.”
“Baka! I really should've beaten you when you were younger! Such a mouth on a young woman is obscene. I've never had a woman in this house or any other before. Back off and leave me alone about this.”
Rin swallowed. She'd known he'd loose his temper but expecting it didn't make it any less harrowing.
“Just don't screw it up is all. And please undo whatever it is you did to Inuyasha. He's been moping around here for months! He even goes in to work early and stays late. Last night he came home and went straight to bed. He missed out on all the excitement.”
Sesshomaru tapped his claw on the counter. “So is this your backwards way of giving me your blessing?”
“I do quite like her. I caught Josh online a few weeks ago and he told me about you two. He likes her too.”
He closed his eyes. “I should've bribed him to keep quiet. Is nothing in this family sacred?”
She gestured with her mug. “I just want to see you do the right thing. Besides it's about time we get someone cool around here besides Inuyasha.”
Sesshomaru looked at the calendar and wondered how many weeks of summer were left before Julliard was back in session.
The door bell chimed and they waited while the day maid answered the front door. She returned and stuck her head though the kitchen doorway.
“Sir there is a strange young woman and a large golden retriever at the front door demanding your head on a platter.” She made the announcement as though it was regular occurrence.
What the hell? Sesshomaru stood. “Thanks Gert, I'll see to her.”
He opened the door and was face to face with the girl who'd worn the bat suit and…her dog?
“Can I help you?” he asked cautiously
She held a suspiciously familiar letter in her hand and the dog's leash in the other. “You pointy eared son of a bitch!”
“Excuse me?”
“Where's Kagura?” She tried to cross the threshold but Sesshomaru stood his ground refusing to allow her entry.
“Let me in! I want to see my friend.” Her eyes were wide with fury.
Rin had followed Sesshomaru and stood behind him in the foyer. “Someone's here to see Kagura! Maybe we should put some clothes on her first.”
This was followed by a screech of outrage from the girl on the stoop.
Sesshomaru's nerves felt as though someone had taken a vegetable grater to them. He swung around to Rin.
“You! Out now.” She sauntered back the kitchen. Damn that girl, she is utterly fearless.
He turned back to face the batgirl. “Your name, its Kagome correct?”
Her eyes narrowed and she hissed. “You know very well what my name is. After all it appears several times in this letter of yours.” She held up the paper careful to keep it out of his reach.
Sesshomaru was perplexed. “Where did you find that?”
Kagome put the letter in her back jeans pocket. “I was house-sitting for Kagura while she's here. When Kanna turned up missing I went to look for clues or anything helpful. This was on the kitchen table.”
He was incredulous. “Do you always read other peoples personal papers?”
“Only when it's a matter of life and death, now I want to see Kagura NOW.”
He shook his head. “I'm afraid that's not possible.”
Kagome stomped her foot and waved her fist in his face. “Why the hell not? Is she chained naked to your bed or something?”
Rin called from the kitchen were she was blatantly eavesdropping. “No chains just nudity!”
Sesshomaru's nails dug into his palms and a drop of blood splattered on the shiny wooden floor.
Kagome pulled out her cell phone. “That rips it. I'm calling the cops.”
He forced a smile. “That really won't be necessary, this is a horrible misunderstanding. And Rin has a twisted sense of humor.” He called over his shoulder. “Which we will be sure to discuss in the very near future.”
Sesshomaru opened the door. “Please why don't the two of come on in.”
Kagome nodded and returned her cell phone to her purse. “Much better, come Molly.”
The dog regarded Sesshomaru with a cold look, held her nose in the air as she passed by him and huffed. Odd, I've never seen a dog behave that way before? Surely she isn't mad at me too?
 
*****************************************************< /div>
Notes:
 
Bridget Jones: [Bridget is on the phone talking to Mark's answering machine while he waits outside her flat] “You're outside! Look err, I'll ring you later. Unless you've come to chuck me once and for all, in which case... Bye and thank you and sorry.”
[Mark buzzes up again from outside]
Bridget Jones: “Oh God please don't chuck me, don't chuck me. If you have chucked me, please change your mind, I'll behave much better in future.”
[pause]
Bridget Jones: “On the other hand if you haven't chucked me please behave better next time we go out. Stuck up snob!”
 
(Mark confronts Daniel after he finds out he left Bridget in the Bangkok airport to be arrested)
Mark Darcy: “Would you step outside please?”
Daniel Cleaver: “I'm afraid it's not possible”.
Mark Darcy: “Look are you gonna step outside or do I have to drag you?”
Daniel Cleaver: “I think you're gonna have to drag me”
 
Shazzer: (On Bridget meeting Mark's co-workers) What about a wig? They're lawyers aren't they? Lawyers love wigs
…..Bridget Jones, The Edge of Reason…2005