InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Anything Good About Me ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Twenty-one
Anything Good About Me: Eyes Wide Open
 
Kagome stood in the foyer fuming. Sesshomaru was forced to decide between the least of two evils. He could either leave her alone with Rin while he went to see if Kagura was decent or send Kagome upstairs on her own and hope for the best. Both options could only end badly and would no doubt prove extremely hazardous to his health.

Thinking quickly he asked Gert show Kagome into the empty formal living room and then slipped up the back stairs. There wasn't much harm she could do to the living room and if she did break something well then he'd never liked that room much anyway.

        Kagura was asleep and laying spread eagle on her back. Had the devil not been breathing down his neck he would've found the image almost sweet. I really don't want to wake her but Batgirl will make my life a living hell.

        He opened his closet and pulled out a blue linen robe. He laid it out across the mattress then rolled Kagura into it and tied the waist closed. She was breathing so he knew she was alive but she didn't immediately wake.
He arranged the covers and paused to kick his blue boxers under the bed where they wouldn't be spotted by Kagome's eagle eyes. He ran past the windows popping open the shades. Kagura opened her eyes. “What on earth are you doing and why am I wearing your robe?”

        “You friend Kagome is on her way up.”
       
“Really? That's great.”
       
“If you say so, it's not your blood she's after.”
       
Kagura rolled over and buried her face in her pillow hiding from the sun. “Why does she want your blood?” Why is it always about blood with him?
       
“Apparently she went to your house with the intention of helping to find Kanna and you left my letter on the table.”
       
She mumbled. “Oh yeah, I did.” Just part of it.
       
“Well she read it.”
       
Her voice was muffled by the pillow. “Good for her.”
       
“You are only saying that because you aren't listening to me.”
       
She yawned. “I was listening. You are just going to have to take ownership of your actions. That's all there is to it.”
       
“Can't we discuss that later? Why does it have to be now?”
       
“Relax. You aren't the only one to blame here.”
       
Sesshomaru was filled with a stupid hope he refused to acknowledge. I've made hundreds of decisions with far darker consequences than forbidding my stupid half brother to see a girl. So why does this one haunt me. I blame this woman; she must never know how much power she holds. “You think so?”
       
“Yeah if Inuyasha really cared about her, he should've told you where to stick your orders.”
       
THAT had not been the answer he wanted to hear. But his heart softened as she continued. “If he told you to drop me would you have?”
       
Sesshomaru stuffed his hands into his pockets as he paced the foot of the bed. One of Kagura's toes was exposed and he paused to contemplate her French pedicure. His voice came out low and gruff. “Woman I'm on the verge of committing murder for you. I doubt a small thing like his disapproval would stop me from the pursuing and having of you.”
       
Kagura only caught the last three of his words. “So did you just say you wouldn't have dropped me?”
       
He bit his tongue and cut to the chase. “Hardly.
       
She smiled and closed her eyes. Sesshomaru glanced at his watch and realized it was time for her next dose. He paged Gert, asked her to bring Kagome up and filled a glass of water in the bathroom.
By the time Kagome arrived Sesshomaru was holding the glass for Kagura. She was sitting up but was still very pale. Her dark hair hung down on her shoulders and her crimson eyes seemed larger.
“Sesshou, I can hold my own glass”, she admonished gently. He muttered something under his breath and then wandered over to a plush chair in the corner where he sat glaring.
       
Kagome's eyes bugged out of her skull. “Can I just say wow? When did this happen?”
       
Kagura blinked, “It just did.”
       
Molly burst into the room. Her toenails clicked against the wooden floor as she danced around the bed.
Kagura cooed. “Ohhh! You brought my baby girl! Molly! I missed you SO much!
She bent down and hugged the dog. Molly beat her tail against Sesshomaru's thousand dollar comforter then reached up and licked her face. Kagura teetered on the edge of the high bed and Sesshomaru stood up. He walked back to her, hooked an arm around her middle and settled her back into the center of his bed. He pulled his hair back from his shoulders and grumbled “Be careful.”
       
Kagome made a face and he turned to her, “She's really ill. I think it's made her a bit unsteady. Her balance is questionable at best.
       
Kagome listened and thought, Yeah I just bet you are carrying her everywhere she needs to go. She turned to Kagura. “So the last time I heard you mention his name,” she pointed to Sesshomaru as though he couldn't hear. “It was followed by a sting of four letter expletives; a declaration of undying hatred and a vow to some how find a way to shave his head in his sleep. So what gives?”
Sesshomaru frowned at this but no one noticed.
       
“He's helping me find Kanna.” Kagura whispered looking tired.
        Kagome asked. “That's all well and good and I see you are very sick but this is the master bedroom. Doesn't this huge old house have guest rooms?”
       
Sesshomaru interceded. “This is the best room so naturally I gave it to her.”
        Kagome raised a brow. “Oh really?” She picked a long silver hair off the dark blue comforter and held it out to Molly who sniffed it eagerly.
       
“So girl, does this reek of horny yokai or what?” Molly whined her agreement.
       
Sesshomaru crossed his arms. “You've gone too far. She is ill. She is here of her own will. That is all you need to know.”
       
Kagome cut her eyes and met him nose to nose. “I think you owe me much, much more. What the hell did you do to Inuyasha?”
       
He looked at the floor. “We shall discuss this at a later time. I will leave you with Kagura.”
       
Sesshomaru left firmly closing the door behind him.
*****************************************************< font color="black">

        Kagome sat on the bed next to Kagura. “Girl you look like a wet rag.”

        “That's what they keep telling me.”
       
“So is this for real? Have you sold your body to enlist his help?” She was kidding but Kagura wasn't laughing.
       
“Kagome, the other page to that letter is in my purse. Go read it.” Kagome picked up her purse and fished out the letter. It was crinkled from being read over and over. She read quickly.
       
“Oh my God, is this true? Did you see him on the website?”
       
Kagura nodded.
       
“This is worse than I ever knew. But weren't the police doing enough? Did you have to come here like this? To get help from him?
       
Kagura said quietly. “I am here because I needed his help. The police won't search for a legal adult who left with out traces of a struggle. But that's not the only reason. He can be such an ass but I think ...I love him.”
       
Kagome stood frozen to the floor. “What? How?”
       
Kagura smiled, “He's really a unique person. He's intelligent, caring, sensual and…I can talk to him. He really knows how to listen.
       
Kagome covered her ears with her hands. “Okay you can stop there. Have the two of you been sneaking around or what?”
       
“I went to the concert with him and we had harsh words. Then we met up here and I realized I was wrong about him. Inuyasha was right. He's not a bad guy.”
       
“So is he drugging your food?”
       
“Nope. But now Molly's here so I dub her official Royal taste tester. Molly danced around at the sound of her name.
       
Kagome sat on the bed and lay down beside Kagura. “The sex is amazing right?”
       
“While I expect it will be we've not gotten that far.”
       
“Wow, I should have figured something was up the way he hovered over you that night at the lake house. That room you were in was off the chain. And the way he led you there by candle light.
       
Kagura pulled the bedding up to her chin and turned towards Kagome. “Yeah I think he put me in his room then too. He also gave me his cell phone number.”
       
Kagome put her arms behind her head. “Wow. And you have nicknamed him to boot?”
“Nickname? You've got to be kidding me. He's thawed out a bit but not that much.”
Kagome asked, “Then why did you call him Sesshou?”
Kagura sighed, “He asked him to. I think it's his name. The maru part might be a title or birth rank or something. I think it's probably some kind of honor. Not even Rin calls him that.”
Kagome thought for a moment. “Remember when I decided to embrace my Japanese heritage?”
“How can I forget the semester you inflicted endless amounts of anime on us. Sango's still scarred and has blocked the Cartoon Network channel from her TV.”
“Ha. Ha. Anyway I think his name means circle of destruction or first son of Death and Destruction. But then it could also mean free rice refill with large drink. It's iffy.”
Kagura smiled. “For someone whose name could mean ring of death he sure has the gentlest hands...”
Kagome put her hands back on her ears. “La, la, la I can't hear you.”
She laughed and dropped her hands. “All these little things going right under my nose and I missed it. I am the world's worst friend.”

        “No you're not. I am. I'm in love with the man who broke you and Inuyasha up.”
       
Kagome frowned. “He is so gonna pay for that but really I'm madder at Inu than him. Why did he let Sesshomaru do that? I guess he doesn't care about me as much as I thought.

        Kagura closed her eyes, “I think you are in for a surprise.”
*****************************************************< font color="black">

        Kagome sat on the front porch with Molly dozing at her feet. Sesshomaru opened the door and sat on the rocking chair beside hers. Molly lifted her head and gave him a deep sorrowful look. Kagome reached down to pet the dog and spoke without turning her head.

        “This business with Kanna, its bad isn't it?”
       
He nodded. “Yes.”
       
“I know I was rude earlier but you had it coming.” She watched a car slow as it passed the house. A bald man leaned out of the car and snapped a photo of the house. Sesshomaru waited until he left before answering.
       
“I can see how you might feel that way.” he allowed cautiously.
       
“Good, because I want you to promise me something.”
       
He gave an offhand shrug. “I promise nothing.”
       
“When I first met Naraku…he was cold and I didn't like him. I get the feeling he is rotten and decayed on the inside. When you find him, if you truly love my best friend you'll make sure he doesn't walk away from this. Kagura doesn't know how powerful you are but I do. Make it happen and I will forgive you for what you did to Inuyasha.”
       
Sesshomaru rocked back and his chair squeaked with the movement. “You needn't have asked.”
       
Kagome smiled serenely. “I thought not.”
       
He rocked in silence and she added. “I think she really loves you. That's a first for Kagura. She tends to push people away.”
       
“So I've noticed.” His face was expressionless. Kagome tried but wasn't able to see any of the qualities Kagura had listed.
       
She gave up and sighed. Who knows what she sees in him? “Don't screw this up.”
       
He frowned flashing the tips of his fangs. “Do you really think I needed to be told that?”
       
Kagome laughed, “No but I loved saying it.”
*****************************************************< /div>
Rin sat on the counter furiously attacking a bowl of vegetable chow main with a thin pair of chop sticks. The whole house had lost its freaking mind but that was no reason for her
skip lunch. She was watching her Tri-Gun DVD and had the sound turned high enough to test the limits of the new flat screen TV.
Vash was dancing around a box of doughnuts. Rin drank her coke and pondered putting Vash on her Christmas list; just for the hell of it to bug Sesshomaru.
The cordless phone rang. Rin didn't hear it but felt it vibrate on the counter beside her. She muted Vash and answered.
“Yo! House of Inu. Whasss up?”
A soft male voice said. “Rin, darling is that you? It's been a very long time since we last saw each other. I've missed you.”
Her arm shook but she forced her hand to keep a grip on the receiver. “I'm not afraid and I don't care about you.”
“Now that is a real shame but no matter I've found a new girl and she isn't into betrayal.”
Rin spat into the phone, “You got to hell Naraku!”
“Maybe I will but first I need you to be a good little girlie and give your new friend a message. Tell Kagura to call off her dogs. I have Kanna and she's fine. But she won't be much longer if you keep pushing me. Understand?”
Rin opened her mouth but there was only static on the other end of the phone. He was gone. She dropped the phone and ran up the steps. She pounded on Sesshomaru's door.
He'd heard her foot steps and opened the door before her fist struck the wood of the door. “Rin, what is it?” His voice was cool water on her frazzled nerves.
“Naraku, he just called and he has some girl. He knows Kagura?”
Sesshomaru's lips pulled back baring his sharp teeth. “Has he now?”
Rin put her head against his shoulder. “Why is he after us?”
His hand found the back of her head. “I don't know but it doesn't matter. He won't lay a hand on you.”
“He mentioned someone named Kanna and that he'll hurt her if we don't back off…”
“That's Kagura's little sister. He ran off with her the day before yesterday.” This is just further proof this is escalating into a possible hostage situation.
Rin pulled back from him and he winced at the sight of her tear stained face. She pushed him away and snapped “Why didn't you tell me? That was three years ago. I can handle it. Oh…I hate it when you treat me like a child!”
Rin turned and stomped down the hall. Sesshomaru watched her leave. Funny…that wasn't quite the reaction I would've expected.
He pulled his cell from his pocket and snapped it open. “Jaken, I need you to pull a rootie on my phone. Pull the records of all incoming calls in the last hour. I want a location on each one. We're getting closer. Call me the minute you have this information. I'm going down there.”
He turned back to the door. It was shut but he heard Kagome's voice and Kagura's low laughter. I can just go back in there as if nothing happened and they wouldn't know. He shook his head and opened the door.
Kagura glanced up the sound of the opening door. Her small smile vanished when she saw his stony expression. “Has something happened?”
He sat on the mattress beside her. Kagome moved to the chair. “Naraku called. We must be getting close because he is feeling stressed.”
Kagura's hands latched onto his shirt collar. “Has he hurt her?”
“No. She is fine.”Of course Naraku is a known liar and who knows what his definition of fine is... But he didn't feel the need to burden her with this obvious observation.
Kagura twisted the bed sheet in her hands. “I can not stay here. I'm getting dressed and going back.”
Sesshomaru stood. “That is the last thing you will be doing. You will stay here. I'm leaving as soon as we know he is still in Georgetown-Horry County.”
Kagura bit her lip. “She's mine and I will not sit here and do nothing.”
Sesshomaru put a firm hand on her shoulder. “After last night your safety became my responsibility.”
Kagura raised her hand and pushed him away. “You have no such claim. This isn't the feudal world. You've no say over me what so ever. I'm going and if you don't like it you can stuff it up your ass and sit on it.”
Kagome stood from the chair and slipped from the room shutting the door behind her.
Sesshomaru laughed bitterly. “Really, that is how you feel? You must be feeling better because you hate me again.”
“I never said that! I just want my sister back. She's my responsibility… She's all I have. ”
“I can see that. Okay then.” He walked across the room and pushed open the French doors leading to his balcony. He stood at the far end of the large balcony. “Come here. If you can make it to me then you may come.”
Kagura smiled smugly. Easy peasy.
She climbed out of the bed and made it to the doors without incident. Hell it even felt good just to be out of bed. She stepped out on the balcony and the ocean breeze caught the robe and it whipped around her slim frame. She stood in front of Sesshomaru then broke down into a coughing fit.
He gave her his arm and she leaned into him until the spasms stopped. “This isn't strep…the cough…”
Sesshomaru sighed and scooped her up. “The doctor says it is and I believe him. The cough is brought on by the added stress.”
He pressed her face into his shoulder as he carried her back in. “Little one you are strong but I cannot worry about you and Kanna. If nothing else stay here for me. I will not fail you.”
“I hate this!” She pounded a weak fist on his chest. Sesshomaru brushed her hand away then put his lips to her ear and whispered.
“I told you I trusted you. Now it's your turn to trust me.”
*****************************************************< /div>
Notes:
Mark Darcy: I should have done this years ago.
Daniel Cleaver: Done what?
Mark Darcy: This.
[Darcy punches Cleaver. Hard]
Daniel Cleaver: Ow. Fuck me, that really hurt. What the hell do you think you're doing?
Mark Darcy: This.
[Darcy punches Cleaver again. Even harder]