InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Sister Sisyphus ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Twenty-two
Sister Sisyphus
Rin helped Kagome haul two suitcases through the door and up the steep stairs to a guest bedroom.  “Hey what are the duffel bags for?”

Kagome opened one suitcase and began transferring clothes to the travel bag. “What do you think they're for kiddo?”

Rin frowned. “Kiddo? Please, no one uses that word anymore. And it's obvious. You are packing so that once Sesshomaru-sama is gone you and Kagura can follow them to meet Naraku.”

Kagome put her hands on her hips. “You're a fast one aren't ya?”

Rin grinned. “And of course I assume Sesshomaru-sama has forbidden this.”

Kagome shrugged. “They're discussing it now.”

“Ah,” Rin flopped down on the bed next to the bags. “So that's what all the yelling was about. She's still bad off sick. Are you sure she should go? I hate to say it but he might have a point.”

Kagome raised a pointed finger. “This isn't about should she go because she will go. And I'd rather be with her where I can keep an eye on her. Otherwise she'll sneak off on her own.”

Rin considered this as she lay on her belly kicking her legs in the air. “You know her pretty well. If I were her that's what I'd do, I couldn't hang around here doing nothing.”

“Me too, but I guess Sesshomaru is used to women who like to be taken care of.”

Rin laughed, “I wouldn't know. I've seen pictures of some of his dates in magazines but he's never brought anyone home to meet me before. This is serious. In fact I should start calling her mom. That'll really get his goat.”

Kagome raised her brow. “So do you live to drive him crazy?”

“Mostly, he keeps me under his thumb so it's the only entertainment I can get. I guess I brought it on my self by running off with that guy, but sheesh! It's been three years; you'd think he'd get over it.”

Kagome was surprised Rin spoke of the incident so freely. “So has he told you Naraku has Kagura's sister? She's your age.”

Her legs stopped swinging. “Yeah, that perv is such a monster. I got the call.”

“What call?” Kagome stopped folding Kagura's jeans.

“He called an hour ago and said if Kagura didn't call off her dogs he'd hurt Kanna. Double-entendre insults. That is so like him.” She rolled her eyes.

Kagome's hands froze. “Sesshomaru didn't mention the threat…”

“I wouldn't expect him to. He doesn't like it when the family worries.”

“Umm…but Kagura isn't related to him.”

Rin chewed the end of her finger nail. “Doesn't matter…she's as good as married to him now.”

Kagome swallowed, “What!”

“Maybe I should rephrase that, he is fiercely loyal to the point of being obnoxious. Trust me; the House of Inu is like being in the mob cept we send out for Chinese.” Rin raised her hands above her head and announced in an ominous voice. “The only way out is to die! Or elope with me…yeah that seems to do it too.”

Kagome sighed and bent down over Rin. “Aren't you being just a tad dramatic?”

“Maybe but its still true.” Rin bit her lip. “Ya know we really shouldn't go alone.”

Kagome narrowed her eyes. “Who said anything about we? You aren't going.”

Rin propped her chin up on her hands. “Course I am. You're already taking the love of his life and you know he's gonna be hugely pissed so what's one more person? Besides, I know Naraku and that is an advantage Sesshomaru hasn't considered.”

“I don't know…” Kagome bit her lip.

“It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Anyway I'm eighteen now and can just go on my own if you say no.”

Kagome cursed. “Damn it. You little blackmailing, scheming imp!”

“Yeah I know.  But seriously this is dangerous. We should take Inuyasha.”

Kagome's eyes widened. “He's here?”

Rin studied a nail, “Somewhere around here. Actually he usually gets home about now.”

“Really, well isn't that interesting…”

Rin's lips spread in a wicked grin. “Say, you two wouldn't know each other would you?'

“I guess you could say that…”

“He's real good at covet operations. Sesshomaru-sama barges through the red tape but Inuyasha slips in like a samurai and then he hacks everything half to death.”

Kagome's voice was cold. “Seems like to me all he does is take orders from his stuck up, asshole brother.”  

“Not usually. But sometimes they fight. I've got the best ones on tape.”

“Come on, you do not.”

“Sure do. But usually the camera gets broken so they aren't very long.”

Kagome ignored the last comment. “What's Inuyasha been up to? Is he seeing someone?”

Rin stretched her arms. “Just work. He hasn't even had a party in months. He was hung up on some chick but he had a huge fight with Sesshomaru-sama about it…. So that must've been you huh?”

“I doubt it.  Why didn't Sesshomaru like the girl?” Kagome twisted her ring on her finger as she spoke.

“That I do not know. Before it started Sesshomaru-sama slipped me a twenty and sent me to see a movie. But I skipped the movie and went clubbing.”

Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question. Kagome tried again. “Rin, why do you think he didn't like her?”

“Easy.” She put up her hand and did a stage whisper. “There was a nasty rumor that she was, get this, human.”
       
Kagome was nonplussed. “But you're human and he seems to like you just fine.”

Rin shrugged. “Go figure. But I am not the center of the family tree. I'm kinda like an acorn that fell off, blew away and started my own tree.”

“That bastard is such a hypocrite. You know when I first saw Kagura today he was holding her drinking glass for her! You know how many men she had eviscerated for less? It's disgusting.”

Rin added, “Yeah usually he really hates humans, present company excluded of course.”

“Humph.” Kagome went back to packing the duffel bags.
********************************************************** 
Inuyasha unlocked the back door and found the kitchen deserted. Trigun DVDs were scattered over the counters and empty coke cans littered the table.
       
        Where is everyone?

The house was strangely quiet. He trudged up the back stairs to his room and tossed his brief case on the tiny bed. I miss my lake house. I bet the water skiing is perfect right now too.

He pulled off his jacket and button up shirt. He hung each carefully in his closet and threw on an old Aerosmith shirt and jeans.

Giggling came from the room next to his. Rin's home, wonder if she'll admit to borrowing my car? He stood outside the door and yelled.

“Rin! Did you take out the mustang again without asking? At least refill the stinking tank. God damn gas is $3 a gallon!”

Rin opened the door and stuck out her head. “I'm sorry. Next time I won't forget.”

He frowned, “To ask or to fill up the tank?”

She shrugged, “I'm sure I'll remember one or the other eventually.”

“Brat don't gimme any crap today, just for once in your short life do what I ask!”

Rin made big doll eyes and complained. “Please don't do this, you're embarrassing me in front of our guest.”

“Who's in there?” He tried to see around her shoulders and called, “Hey Holly.” He turned back to Rin. “She doesn't care if we fight, she's seem much worse that this.”

“On contraire dear Uncle, that's not Holly.” Rin stepped back and let the door fall open.

Kagome sat on the bed digging though the duffel bag. “Rin where is the hair dryer. I swear it was just right here…”

Inuyasha's mouth went dry. “Kagome.”

She looked up, her eyes wide. “Inuyasha.” She acknowledged him coldly.

He spread his arms in confusion. “Kagome?”

She spat back. “Inuyasha.”

Rin yelped, “Stop it already. It's starting to sound like a bad cartoon in here. I'm going down for a coke.” She left them alone.

Inuyasha crossed the threshold. “So how've ya been?”

“Fine.”

“That's good. How do you know Rin?”

She sighed, “We just met today. I am here for Kagura.”

His ears twitched. “She's here too?”

“Yeah she's been holed up in your honorable half-brother's bedroom since yesterday.”

“You're kidding.”

She zipped the duffel bag and refused to meet his golden eyes. “Nope, apparently she came here for his help and was ill. So he's been keeping her, like a pet.”

He smirked. “That jerk hates pets. Why does she need our help?”

Kagome whispered. “Naraku's kidnapped her younger sister Kanna.”

His face paled and his ear flattened against his head. “We should've done away with him last time. Is the girl still…okay?”

“We think so but there's no way to be sure. Every hour counts but we've just been hanging out here. I think Sesshomaru is getting ready to go to Myrtle Beach and look for him.”

“Damn. How did I miss this?” He ran a claw through his hair. “I wanna help.”

Of course you do. “Well then I guess you can come with us. Sesshomaru is going alone but we're going to be right behind him.”

Inuyasha grinned and flashed the points of his fangs. “Sneaking out huh? Then count me in.”
*****************************************************< /div>
 
Sesshomaru sat on the edge of bed with Kagura in his lap. He combed her hair as he waited for Jaken to report back.
Kagura's eyes were closed and she sat in silent worry. He can go to hell because I'm going. It just will be after he leaves.
Sesshomaru focused on the rhythm of the hair brush. He knew she was furious but had already decided it was inevitable. Kagura's voice broke into his thoughts.
“Are you always this calm? I think even if the world were ending you'd still have that bored expression.”
He replied evenly, “Sometimes its best not to wear your emotions on your face. I'm not worried because I already know I will win.” I just wish you believed it. He'd asked her to trust him earlier but she'd turned her head away and the moment passed. Maybe it's because she has so much to lose and it wouldn't matter who was holding her.
Kagura sighed. “Sesshou, bring her back safe and I will give you whatever you want.”
The brush froze in his hand. “That is a weighty promise I am not beyond accepting. Have a care because I will hold you to it.” Stupid woman, I would've done it for free. “Hasn't anyone taught you not to bargain with yokai?”
She touched his hand and turned to face him. “It's a risk I'm willing to take. You asked me to trust you and this is as close as I can come.”
Stupid broker, not everything in this world can be haggled over. But I will have what I want of you. I don't need some half cocked bargain for that.”
A shiver ran down her spine and he felt it through the thin robe. He studied her with a half lidded gaze and parted lips. Naraku had better not take too long to die, I've better things to do with my time. He was tracing the sensitive skin on the back of her neck when his cell rang. Sesshomaru snatched it up.
Koga barked. “We've got a bead on him.”
“Perfect. How hard was it?”
He paused. “Easy enough but there were a few laws that we bent oh hell, trampled actually. We're kind of in jail. I need bail.”
Sesshomaru closed his eyes and hissed. “What is the charge?”
“Concealed weapon and no permit.”
“Where the hell were your permits?”
Koga confessed. “In the mail, they were expired and I just sent off for a new one. No big deal, but tell that to Barney Freaking Fife here.”
Sesshomaru demanded, “So where is he?”
“The Crazy Seahorse off 14th Ave and Ocean. Can't miss it. Lot's of neon. According to the front desk he's paid up for a week so I doubt he's leaving.”
“And the police, are they still cooperating.”
Koga sighed, “About that. His status on the watch list makes this a homeland security problem and the Feds are coming to take over.”
“And?” Sesshomaru's patience was cracking.
“And they will be here in three days. He isn't deemed an immediate flight risk and as far as they are concerned they have no proof Kanna isn't his girlfriend.”
Sesshomaru's eyes flashed. “Did it occur to anyone to ask the girl?”
“Nope, I asked but they didn't want to blow their cover. The whole investigation is a disaster.”
Sesshomaru laughed and Koga felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Kagura stiffened. “Good. It makes things all the better for me. I will be there in two hours and I will bail you out once this is done, then I am deducting it from what ever I am paying you.”
Koga protested, “But you aren't paying me anything!”
“And now you know why.”
 
Sesshomaru stood up and pocketed his phone. Kagura held her breath and waited.
“We know where he's at and I'm going to take care of it. I will be back sometime tomorrow and this will be over.”
Kagura clasped her hands in front of her and hung her head. He titled her chin up with a clawed hand. “We have much to discuss when I get back.” He pressed his cool lips to her forehead.
“Call me once you have her. I need to hear her voice.” Kagura's eyes filled with tears.
“I will. Now stay here or I promise you there will be hell to pay.” Sesshomaru cocked his head and studied her for a moment, committing her face to memory. He left the room and she heard his footsteps on the stairs then the closing of the front door.
**********************************************************
Kagura lay on his fresh cool bed sheets. Maybe I should stay here. He's serious and I think he's capable of doing this. But what if something goes wrong? She's my only family and it'll upset her if I'm not there. What if Naraku's hurt her? Then she'll need me not a stranger. God, she's never even met Sesshou… That rips it.
Kagura stood and made a face as her legs adjusted to standing. Okay not so bad… if I'm sitting in the car driving then I'll be fine, not comfortable but fine.
She found her clothes freshly laundered and neatly folded on the dresser bureau. She pulled her pants and shirt on and sat back down on the bed for a break. One step at a time.
Kagura gathered her various pill bottles from the dresser and dumped them into her purse. Now where are my farden keys?
She found her keys on the floor then slipped down the stairs. The front door was locked but the dead bolt wasn't turned. It was a double dead bolt and had it been turned she would've been locked inside the house. This gave her pause. He must trust me or else he would have locked me in here. She opened the door and stepped out on the porch.
A purple Mustang waited at the curb with the engine running. The black tinted window slid down and Kagome's head popped out. “Shit girl! Took ya long enough.”
Kagura was awestruck. “How'd you know and whose car is this?”
“I just counted on you doing something stupid and it doesn't get any crazier than this”
Okay that was true.
“Who's driving?” Kagura couldn't see through the illegal tint on the windshield.
“Inuyasha.” Kagome then mouthed the words we aren't together.
Inuyasha called out from the driver's seat. “Are ya getting in or are we gonna have to drag ya.”
“Sesshou's gonna be so pissed.” Was all Kagura could think to say.
He laughed. “That's nothing new; that fluffy bitch is pissed most of the time anyway. What's one more thing to add to his list?”
Kagura shrugged. How can you argue with that logic? She opened the car door and slid onto the back black leather seat.
Somehow she wasn't surprised when she saw Rin sitting behind Kagome.
 
Notes: Sisyphus was founder and king of Corinth and was notorious as the most cunning knave on earth. His greatest triumph came at the end of his life, when the god Hades came to claim him personally for the kingdom of the dead. Hades had brought along a pair of handcuffs, a comparative novelty, and Sisyphus expressed such an interest that Hades was persuaded to demonstrate their use - on himself….does this remind you of anyone we know here?
Bridget Jones: [diary] “Wonder what Mark Darcy would be like as a father. Father to his children I mean, not to me. That would be weird Oedipus-like thought.”…Bridget Jones Edge of Reason 2005