InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Witless & Wicked ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Twenty Four
Witless & Wicked When You're Unwanted
 
Sesshomaru sat in the parking lot of the Denny's waiting for an update from Starch as he watched the passing traffic. An electric purple mustang with dark tinted windows cruised by. Inuyasha.  I should have expected this. Not a person in my household has the sense God gave an ant.

Sesshomaru turned out of the parking lot and followed the mustang. He pulled up beside the passenger side window at the stop light and lightly tapped his horn. The window lowered and Kagome waved. “Hey, fancy seeing you here.”

Sesshomaru's eye's burned with red hot fury. He didn't have to be told Rin was in the back seat. “Pull over to the Wing's parking lot.”

Inuyasha leaned forward in his black leather seat. “Which Wings, there are three on this block alone.” It was true, souvenir tourist trap beach towel stores were to Myrtle Beach what Starbucks was to down town Philadelphia; on every single corner.  

Kagome added, “Actually that one across the street isn't a Wing's it's a Pacific Sunwear.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, “Same damn difference.”

Sesshomaru's temper flared and he ordered. “The closet one, you blithering imbecile.”

The windows of the mustang rolled up and it shot through the green light, turned into the parking lot where the car came to an abrupt stop. Sesshomaru gritted his teeth. He is so careless!

Once in the parking lot of the all glass building, Sesshomaru threw open his car door and strolled over to the driver's side of the mustang. Inuyasha leaned causally out the window studying his half brother's bared fangs.
         
“What are you doing here?”

Inuyasha shrugged. “Helping.”

“I need your held like I need a third eye.”

Inuyasha answered, “That was rude, ya could've just said thanks.

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. “Who else is in there with you?”

His suspicions were confirmed when Rin opened her door and leaned her elbows on the roof of the low sports car. “Howdy!”

This was just too much. He closed his eyes and hissed. “You let her come?”

Kagome frowned. “Let really isn't the appropriate word. She threatened to come on her own.”

Sesshomaru drummed his claws on the car hood. “Don't tell me you brought Gert and that stupid mutt too.”

Inuyasha watched Sesshomaru's nails move across the hood of his beloved car. “It's a free country, anyone who wanted to come did.”

Sesshomaru shoved Inuyasha aside and stuck his head through the window. Kagura lay across the back seat in a sound sleep.

“Fucking hell! What is the matter with your common sense?”

Inuyasha said softy. “It's illegal to keep people against their wills. You can't control every little thing.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “I can try. Go home.”

Kagome shook her head. “Nothing doing.”

Sesshomaru was exasperated. “Why not? Do you want to be here for the carnage? Is this a reality TV show to you?”

Kagome spat. “Hardly. But I know my best friend. She would be here with or without me. I'd prefer to be here with her where I can help than have her drive down here on her own.”

Sesshomaru knew she was right. Kagura wanted to come and nothing short of a straight jacket would've stopped her. She was better off sleeping in the back seat of the mustang than driving alone.

She lied to me. She planned on going the entire time. He glanced over to Rin's shiny face. I'm certain she had plenty of assistancetoo.
 He opened Rin's door and slid across the smooth leather seat beside Kagura. He looked at her cohorts. “Leave us.”

All three jumped away from the car. Inuyasha pointed the brightly lit store. “Hey Rin ever wanted a hermit crab?”

Rin stood watching the car. “No, they're icky.”

Inuyasha put his arm around her shoulder pulling her away. “Yeah ain't they great. Let's go buy you one.”

“How about that new string bikini instead, the one that looks like the US flag.”

Kagome followed and heard Inuyasha groan, “Yeah, how bout not. Ya know we could get salt water taffy.”

“That crap is made in china and is stale months before it even gets here.” Rin complained but allowed him to push her through the doors of the store.

**********************************************************
Sesshomaru watched Kagura.
Deceptive little minx. He put his hands on her shoulders and pulled her up into a sitting position. Kagura muttered without opening her eyes, “Kagome are we there?”

Sesshomaru stated in a flat tone. “Yes, you're here.”

Kagura smiled at the sound of his voice, and then frowned. Oh shit. She opened her eyes and saw his nose only inches from hers and his pupils glowing red.

“You lied to me.”

Kagura didn't know what to say. She'd expected him to be mad that she'd gone against his wishes not that she'd deceived him.

“I had to. She's my only blood family. If you thought I was staying put then you had another thing coming.”

“Why did you agree to stay then?'

Kagura sighed, “You weren't going to take me with you and I didn't have the energy to fight about it when I already knew I was going. Besides I'm not defenseless and we had Inuyasha with us.”

He frowned. “I see you've been talking with Rin, that's always been her favorite line.”

She yawned and looked out the window. “It's a free country and you don't own me.”

He uttered a single word that burned across her nerves like lit kerosene. “Yet.”

Kagura turned to face him, slowly enunciating every word. “That will never happen and if you value any part of what we have, you will retract that statement. Or else once I have Kanna back I will shut you out of my life forever.”

She thought she saw a quiet panic behind his stony expression as she stared Sesshomaru down with an unwavering certainty. If he walks away because ofthis he was never worth having.

His mouth opened and he heard himself speak. “You're right. That was wrong of me.”

Kagura's blood stopped in her veins. He conceded that easily. No fighting, harsh words or loud yelling? I just said, hey I won't stand for that and he gave in? Wow. Her head hummed with a new quiet power she'd never realized before. She bit her lip.

“I shouldn't have lied to you. But I didn't feel I had any other choice.”

Sesshomaru studied the seat in front of him. “Next time there will more discussion and less ultimatums.”

“So do we know where Kanna is?”

“Starch is following them and will contact me shortly. I think they are heading for the strip.  He's counting on it being harder to confront him in a crowd.”

Kagura considered this. “And will it work?”

“No.”

Kagura sighed and leaned against his shoulder. “Two things.”

Sesshomaru turned his head and looked down at her. “Yes?”

“I hate waiting and I want a gun.”

He was surprised but hid it well. Only the edge of his lips turned down in a slight frown. “Can you fire a gun?”

“I'm a crack shot. Dad took me clay pigeon shooting when I was a kid. I never gave it up and still stop by the target range time to time. It reminds me of him.”

Sesshomaru lifted a brow. Sentimentality and guns, what an unlikely combination. She will never cease to amaze me. “That's commendable but I don't have a gun to give you.”

Kagura lifted her head. “You mean you're not packing something?”

“I own guns and swords even. But they are all in Charleston.”

Kagura was confused. “Okay so what we will do if he has gun? Hell he's an illegal arms dealer for Christ sakes; I know he has a gun. What is wrong with you?” She slapped him on the arm as her panic escalated.

Sesshomaru's lips spread in a slow, cruel smile baring every fang in his head. “I've never needed guns. They are a nuisance and tend to set off metal detectors.” He held up his hands and Kagura watched as he flexed his fingers. His claws grew a few inches and shined with a razor sharp edge.

Kagura jumped back in her seat. “Holy shit! You're a regular Freddy Krueger.” Those can't be the same hands he touched me with last night

Sesshomaru closed his hand then opened it revealing his normal claws. “I've many ways of settling matters without resorting to a gun.”

“I can see that but a gun can be fired from a distance, you'd have to sneak up on someone to get them with those knives.”

Sesshomaru turned his neck and Kagura winced at the sound of his vertebrae popping. “I've other talents that aren't suited to the confined space of this car.”

Goose bumps crawled up Kagura's arms. I believe him. “Okay, I guess that's good.” She didn't know how to feel. He's a Taiyokai; of course he has some kind of powers…
Sesshomaru's ears perked up and he began to search for his cell phone. Kagura asked, “What's wrong?”

“My cell phone is ringing” He patted his jacket down searching for the phone.

“I didn't hear anything.” Kagura watched as he pulled it out of an outer pocket of his suit coat.

“It's set on low vibrate…” He flipped open the phone.

Ah. Kagura understood. He hadn't felt the phone, he'd heard it vibrate. Those pointy ears were very sensitive. She made a note never to whisper anywhere in Sesshomaru's vicinity. Wonder what else he's heard when I thought he wasn't paying attention?

Sesshomaru raised a finger and Kagura's heart leapt in her throat.

“Starch, where is he?” Then he pressed the speaker button so Kagura could hear.

“He's got the kid and they are in the strip.”

Sesshomaru frowned. Of course he is. “Where?”

“Ripley's Believe It or Not museum. He's on to me, must be those hanyou senses and he's been in there for an hour. It's 9:30 now and the place closes at 1am. I'm waiting out here by the only public exit and I have a man on the back door. I guess we could close the place down but it's a maze in there. And the hall of mirrors is tricky; I'd prefer not to get in a shoot out there if we can help it.”

“I agree. We want the girl back safe.” He reached over and squeezed Kagura's hand.

“So what's next boss?” Starch seemed laid back for someone contemplating a gun fight. Kagura wondered what had occurred in his past to make this seem so inconsequential and routine. Then she decided it was best if she didn't know.

“I'll meet you there in fifteen minutes.” He shut the phone and there was a rapping on the window. Sesshomaru rolled it down by pressing a button.

Inuyasha leaned in. “Are we ready to go? I don't think I can keep Rin away from the string bikinis much longer.” He looked up through the glass wall into the store and cursed. “Too late, I just saw the flash of a credit card.”

Sesshomaru shook his head. “Just don't let me see what's in the shopping bags. We need to leave now.”

He opened the car door and headed back to his own Mazda MX-5, the grey color blended perfectly in traffic and it got great gas mileage. Kagura followed him. He opened the driver side door and looked up at her. “I suppose it's too much to expect you to stay here?”

Kagura gave him a cold glare. “What do you think?”

He unlocked the passenger side door and tossed her a light windbreaker. “Wear this, I'd hate for you to catch cold while you are getting shot at and still recovering from strep.”

Kagura pulled on the blue jacket and replied coolly, “Thanks, you are so considerate.” Catch cold? It's eighty five degrees!

**********************************************************
They followed Kings Highway to Ocean Ave where traffic slowed to a crawl. Sesshomaru waited with his usual perfect patience until he was able to park in the public beach access lot. Kagura noticed they were in a spot marked `Police Only' but said nothing.

They walked up the sidewalk surrounded by young teen couples and scantly clad people. Sesshomaru's white dress pants and matching jacket with dress shirt stood out in the crowd but no more so than his long silver hair that blew behind him in the breeze. Girls stopped to stare but he stepped around them, not even sparing them a second glance.  They paused in front of a piercing and head shop/arcade across from the Ripley's building. Sesshomaru put his hand on Kagura's arm.

“Please. Stay here. I'll call you on the cell the minute I know anything.”

Kagura bit her lip but knew when to give in. She sat on the stool in front of the Kiss pin ball machine facing the entrance. “Okay.”

He held her chin in his hand then bent down and quickly brushed his lips across hers. “Thank you.”

Then Sesshomaru turned and rushed across the street stepping between the slowly moving cars. He pulled his collar down and swept his hair up and down under his shirt. He plucked a blue baseball cap from his pocket and pulled it down low over his face.

Kagura put her head in her hands and leaned her elbows on the glass top of the pin ball machine. God I wish I had a gun. She turned the levers on the machine and watched the tiny silver ball bounce around Gene Simmons's tongue.
 
**********************************************************
The museum's façade was an optical illusion designed to appear as though the building was cracking in half. Sesshomaru walked up the steps, purchased a ticket from the open glass booth and strolled past Starch without acknowledging him. The water in the fountain beside the ticket booth was streaming up to the ceiling, defying gravity. He jogged up the stairs into the first exhibit displaying a life size mannequin of the world's tallest man.


Nothing seemed out of place and the crowd was beginning to thin. He stopped beside a glass case of unidentifiable petrified animal parts and studied a teenage girl reading the information cards. Her hair was pale blonde but when she looked up he saw dark eyebrows and a pierced nose. She smiled invitingly but he dismissed her and moved further into the hallway.

Sesshomaru paused with his back to a wall filled with posters of famous Siamese twins and opened his mind to the atmosphere in the tiny halls around him. One aura leapt out at him and he realized Inuyasha was nearby, most likely at the exit. In addition he picked up excitement, boredom and inebriation but no overt fear or hatred.

Dismayed Sesshomaru entered the torture exhibit. Wax mannequins demonstrated the use of the rack and Iron Maiden. His nose twitched and he knew not one item on display had ever been put to use. Stupid humans, so easily entertained by fake gore…

He continued into the jungle room where his eardrums were assaulted by the incessant beat of bongo drums. A fake well stood in one corner. The scent of mixed yokai blood wafted through the air. Sesshomaru's eyes flashed and he traced it to a large rubber tree plant. He pushed the limbs aside and found a sock planted in the base of the pot. Naraku had planted a bloody sock in hopes of throwing him off. He was reluctant to touch it and pulled a limb from the tree and used it to lift the sock off the dirt.

This blood is old…hours old. Starch is chasing his tail. Naraku isn't here.

He tossed the stick down and cased the rest of the museum checking every bathroom, nook and cranny. Even the hall of mirrors was blissfully quiet.  He wasn't surprised when he came up empty.

Sesshomaru threw open the exit door and saw Inuyasha waiting for him in the alley. “Ain't in there is he?”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes at his half brother. “If you knew that and let me waste my time…”

Inuyasha shook his head. “Just a guess, it seemed too easy.”

“I forgot you prefer to do everything the hard way.” Sesshomaru commented as he scanned the busy street.

Inuyasha felt philosophical. “Nah, I hate the hard way but that's how everything seems to end up.”  

“Impetuous half breed, life would be easier if you thought before you acted more often.”

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. “Like you did before you decided to take a human mate?”

Sesshomaru's jaw twitched. “Leave Kagura out of this.”

“Yeah whatever, you are the worst kind of hypocrite.”

Sesshomaru surprised Inuyasha by considering his words. “I suppose I am. But regardless, Kagura is worlds above your inane batgirl.”

Inuyasha pointed a clawed finger at him. “It seems to me that Kagura puts a lot of stock in her best friend and maybe you should trust that.”

Sesshomaru's lips thinned. “I am an apathetic man with grave responsibilities. It was self-serving of me to put my own desires above Kagura's well being. I should never have pursued her but it's too late for such misgivings now. But it's not too late for you. Do yourself a favor and don't follow my imprudence. Find someone of our own kind. Life is hard enough with out further complicating it with a human wife.”

Inuyasha's jaw dropped. “Are you admitting you make a mistake? The great and omniscient Sesshomaru-sama screwed up?”

Sesshomaru scratched the back of his neck and looked down at the concrete pavement.

Inuyasha bounced up and down. “Hells bells this is a red letter day! I'm gonna rent the fucking Good Year Blimp and have it flash the words `Sesshomaru was wrong' above the house for a week!”

Sesshomaru looked up, his eyes glowing and flashed his fangs. “Do it and I will kill you for real this time.” He turned and stalked down the alley way.

Inuyasha watched him leave and knew he meant it.


**********************************************************
Sesshomaru crossed the street into the arcade and descended into a momentary hell when Kagura was not at the pin ball machine. He searched the arcade and found her at the Skee Ball table lobbing wooden balls at the plastic holes. She hit the elusive fifty point hole every time and he was impressed. She's good, maybe she wasn't exaggerating about her shooting skills earlier.

Sesshomaru touched her shoulder and she almost jumped out of her skin. “Having fun?”

Kagura glared at him. “Hell no! But I had to throw something and this was legal.”

“Fair enough.” He allowed.

“SO?” Her eyes sought his and fingers of guilt wound their way into his stomach.

“Nothing. It was a set up.” Kagura cursed and kicked the Skee Ball machine.

“But I've the distinct feeling he's nearby. We're going to walk Ocean Ave North and do a physical manhunt.”

Kagura pointed out. “This crowd is so thick; we don't have a chance in hell of seeing every person. It'll be a crap shoot.”

“Maybe,” said Sesshomaru, “But I don't need to see Naraku. I'll catch his scent or sense his aura.”

Kagura frowned. “Does that really work? I thought auras were just bunk.”

“As a yokai I can find my own kind. Naraku is a hanyou and that makes him unmistakable.”

Kagura nodded. Makes as much sense as everything else around here. “Okay then, let's hit the streets.”
*******************************************************

They met Inuyasha outside the arcade and began combing the streets. Kagura studied every face and figure searching for her sister. After a bit she was having flash backs to the movie The Lost Boys and before long Jim Morrison's voice was stuck in her head.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
People seem wicked, when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven, when you're down
Kagura shook her head and fought to keep focused. He is gonna pay for every moment he's held her hostage. A man with long wavy brown hair brushed against her shoulder. She spun around and grabbed his hand. He turned towards her and she saw he wore tiny blue glasses. His pupils were dilated and a big grin dominated his face.

“Hey cutie, I like ya too!”

Kagura shoved him away and went to catch up to Sesshomaru but her new `friend' followed her. “Hey now, don't be like that. I'm a lot of fun!”

Sesshomaru realized she wasn't beside him and turned to see where she was. He found Kagura arguing with the young man. “It was a mistake; I thought you were someone else.”

“Hey man, that's cool. It's like serendipity ya know.”

Sesshomaru's hand clasped his elbow and squeezed it slowly and painfully. He hissed in the stoned man's ear. “No serendipity is meeting me and walking away with all of your limbs intact.”

He winced and jumped away from the frowning Taiyokai. “Man ya should've told me ya had a boyfriend.” He pointed at Kagura as he stalked away. “It ain't cool to play with other peoples hearts.”

Sesshomaru stood on the side walk watching the man leave, the pedestrian traffic shuffled around him. Kagura pulled him with her as they continued the search. She called to Sesshomaru. “Hurry up…man.”

Inuyasha stood beside a henna tattoo booth waiting for them. He shook his head and smiled. “Some competition you had there.”

Sesshomaru snarled, “Shut up.”

Kagura asked, “Where's Kagome?”

Inuyasha tossed his head as he walked. “Back at the mustang watching Rin.”

“But she's eighteen, isn't she a little old for a sitter?” Then she thought of Kanna and felt ridiculous.

Both men answered simultaneously without thought “NO!”
 
********************************************************
 
Notes:
 
Bridget Jones: “You are angry.”
Mark Darcy: “No, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.”
Bridget Jones: “Disappointed? Oh, God, that's worse than angry.”
Mark Darcy: “I'm just disappointed I can't take you home this instant.” Bridget Jones, The Edge of Reason.