InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Running to your Heart ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inuyasha, and others had just finished battling against a deek youkai, and were exhausted. The Demon had proven to be amazingly strong, but only thanks to 2 jewel shards in it horns. Even though they won they all felt horrible, because in the middle of the fight, Kagome had been knocked unconscious by the deer youkai when it ramed her into the ground with it head, also stabbing her in the arms, and sides with it poision tipped horns. Inuyasha was thrown aside as well when the great demon deer kicked out at him peircing his shoulder with it's sharp hooves.

Miroku couldn't do much as well for his wind tunnel had been wounded in a fight earlier that day, and if he did it would most likely kill him and everyone around him. Sango had been trying her best but was at loss the great deer demon broke her weapon half with a powerful head butt. When all hope seem like it had deserted them, Kouga showed up. For he had caught the scent of Kagomes blood a half a mile away and ran to her aid. Seeing her wounded and unconscious, Kouga became outraged, and with in minutes the deer demon was defeated. When his task was done he wasted no time to rush to the wounded girls side.

"I can't trust you with anything, now can I Mutt-face!," he screamed at Inuyasha. "I thought that maybe you would be able to protect her in danger, but I guess I was wrong. This is probally the fourth time I came to her aid, and saving your sorry hide." Inuyasha just growled and glared at the wolf prince. Kouga ,even though he hates to admit it was right, he should of been protecting kagome with all he had, because if he did she would be out of danger and would never have to have any pain. "Now Kouga, Inuyahsa did his best he could," Miroku said, hoping to end this conversation. Sango then stepped in, Kouga we don't need you to start another fight, but we do need to get Kagome to Keade's village so she can be treated for wounds, and quickly because she was stabbed with the demon poision tipped horns." Kouga looked down at Kagomes face, the demon exterminator was right. Kouga gently scooped Kagome in his arms and started to walk off in the direction of the village. " Where in hell do you think your going!", Inuyasha yelled at Kouga. "Well it appears that I am taking my woman to the village to get help with her wounds before she dies, Mutt-face!", Kouga yelled back to the red faced Inuyasha, he hated when Kouga called Kagome his woman. But before Inuyasha could unsheth his sword Kouga dissapeared with Kagome leaving a cloud of dust behind him as he ran.



It was a perfect warm summer day, a warm breeze filled the air, sending a faint aroma of lilacs through the air. The creek near by gently whispered to the wind, gliding smoothly over the rocks.

Once on the beaten path that lead to Keade's village Kouga slowled to a walk, hugging the wounded girl closer, as she winced in pain. Kouga looked down on the face of his fallen angel. He hated to see an ounce of pain on her face, and it outraged him that he was not their in time to save her from her miserable pain. He then placed a gentle kiss on her forehead hoping to ease her pain.

As he gently pulled his lips away, he saw her eyes flutter open. The glossy deep blue pools that Kouga longed to see looked him in the eye, filled with pain and relief. "Don't worry my Kagome, I am taking you to the village to treat your wounds, so you need to just rest", Kouga whispered. Kagome nodded, but soon regreated it, when her body was filled with an electric shock, that started at her temple and zoomed throughout her body. She cried in pain, letting a few tears flow down her face, before she lost consciousness again. Kouga's light blue eyes filled with terror as he watched her eyes fill with unspeakable pain. The poision would kill her in a matter of minutes because she was only human. Grasping her limp body closer to his chest her took of to Keade's village as fast as he could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't Worry Inuyasha. Kagome will be fine", Sango said in a cherry voice, hoping that Miroku or Inuyasha could tell that worry laced around her head. " Kouga will do anything to save Kagome and he is also so gentle with her I highly doubt that Kagome will die." "Yeah right, that stupid welp of a wolf will probally take her to his dens and keep her hostage till she dies from the poison," Inuyasha grumbled.

"Inuyasha you are so blind. If Kouga trully cares for Kagome, which he does, would take her to the village to treat her wounds, he knows as well as us that Kagome is human and will die in a matter minutes if not treated soon." Miroku added very annoyed with Inuyasha. Turning away Miroku looked into the sky and prayed for Kagomes life.
The Villagers stared in shock. They had never had a wolf demon,with such speed in or near the village. They were frightened, but soon worried when they saw that the wolf demon carried the reincarnation of the dead pristess Kikyo.

"Where can I find Keade?" Kouga growled at the villagers, showing his fangs. He hated it when they stared at him. If he wasn't holding Kagome, he would have probally ripped out all their throats. 'Kagome, please hold on', Kouga held her closer as an old preistess stepped forward. "Ey, Kouga please bring young Kagome this a way," the old woman said sternly. "How do you know my name?" Kouga questioned, not moving an inch. Kagome moaned and Kouga could feel her heart beat decrease. "Please Kouga come or we will not be able to save Kagome," the old woman said heading into a straw hut. Kouga followed, for she obviously knew Kagome, and was probally Keade. "I'm Keade, Kouga please set the girl down on the mat and gather some water to wash her wounds." Kouga did as he was told and left in a cloud of dust to gather some water. "Dear child what has happened to thy," Kaede whispered as she mixed some herbs.

Once Kouga returned, he helped Kaede remove Kagomes bloodly garments, and clean her wounds. After an hour passed, and the sun began to set, Kouga and Kaede began to relax, for kagome started breathing normal once again. "I would like to thank thy, Kouga", Kaede whispered as they watched Kagome sleep, " If not for your help Kagome would be dead by now." "It was nothing, I'll do any thing for my Kagome." Keade raised her eye-brows at his last comment. 'I see'

When the last rays of the sun dissapeared Kaede spoke again. "Kouga please watch the girl for the night, it seems that Inuyasha and the others will not return tonight."

Kouga nodded. "You know Kouga, there is a fine line between love and hate as well as life and death, please think that over"Kaede said as she left the hut.

The night was cold and a feirce wind blew at the hut, causing Kagome to shiver. This did not go unnoticed by Kouga though, instinctively he layed next to the shivering girl, wrapping his arms around her to keep her warm. After a while Kagome finally relaxed into Kougas warm embrace, resting her head between his neck and shoulder. Kouga stiffened at this, but soon relaxed and pulled her closer, breathing into her soft hair. "Kagome ,you are truly mine and I promise to you, I'll always be there for you," Kouga whispered into her hair. Opening his eyes he pulled away, just enough to watch Kagomes face. And soon began to sing softly,

" I could stay awake just to hear you breathing,

Watch you smile while you are sleeping,

Far away and dreaming,

I could spend my life in this sweet surrender,

I could stay lost in this moment forever.

Well, every moment spent with you,Is a moment I treasure.

I don't wanna close my eyes,

I don't wanna fall asleep,'Cause I'd miss you, babe

And I don't wanna miss a thing,

'Cause even when I dream of you,

The sweetest dream will never do,

I'd still miss you, babe,And I don't wanna miss a thing.

Lying close to you,

Feeling your heart beating,

And I'm wondering what you're dreaming,

Wondering if it's me you're seeing,

I just wanna stay with you

In this moment forever, forever and ever

.I don't wanna close my eyes,I don't wanna fall asleep,

And I don't wanna miss a thing.

I don't wanna miss one smile,

I don't wanna miss one kiss,

Well, I just wanna be with you,

Right here with you, just like this.

I just wanna hold you close, Feel your heart so close to mine,

And stay here in this moment. For all the rest of time."

When Kouga finished his song, Kagomes eyes slowly opened. "Kouga?" "Yes my Kagome, how do you feel?" Kagome smiled a weak smile, "That was a beautiful song" "It's just a song my father would sing to my mother when she was sick."

Kagome nodded, then realized how close they were. Kouga's face was inches away, his arms were wrapped around her, and his tail wrapped loosly around her legs. Kouga noticed that Kagome began to get uncomfortable with their position, and quickly pulled closer when a cold breeze blew through the hut. "You looked cold so I just did what wolves do to keep eachother warm. That made Kagome relax a little, but before she could tell him that there were some blankets in the box out by the door, the world began to spin and go dark. Yawning Kagome whispered to Kouga, " Thanks", and soon was over come with sleep. Smiling, Kouga pulled her closer and she in return also snuggled her head into his neck, her breath tickling his skin.

'There is a fine line between love and hate as well as life and death, what does it mean?' Kouga thought about what the old woman had said over and over but was then finally defeated as sleep over took him as well.

The sun silently flowed through the cracks in the hut, casting an enchanted look on Kagome's and Kouga's bodies. Birds sang gently into the morning breeze. Apple blossoms danced through the air, sending a gentle wave of blossom aroma through the sunlight.

Kouga slowly opened his eyes, yawning in the process. As his senses became clearer, he noticed Kagome cuddling into his body for warmth. A smile creeped onto his face, as he pulled the girl closer, wrapping his tail around her waist. Breathing into her hair, he relaxed, but then realized a famliar scent getting closer to the hut.

"Damn it,"Inuyasha growled. 'How could Keade let Kouga stay with Kagome, what the hell was the old woman thinking.' Inuyasha continued leaping from roof top to roof top, his eyes fixed on the healing hut.

'Inuyasha, great just the person I wanted to see, he will probably wake Kagome, if he starts yelling.' Kouga sighed and started to gently pull away from the angel that snuggled to his chest. She whimpered as she felt the warmth leaving her body, and almost instinctivly opened her eyes. "Kouga?," she whispered "Kagome, so your awake, how do you feel? Anything in pain?," whispered back, grabbing her arm to see if her arm hurt, his hand rubbing up and down on her soft skin, his eyes roamed around her body till they locked with her eyes. They could of stayed there forever if only Inuyahsa didn't come in.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING?," Inuyasha screamed at Kouga. For he came in at a bad time, Kouga was hoovering over Kagome, his tail wrapped around her waist, holding Kagomes arm, his chest resting on top of Kagomes, not to mention that Kagome was in a thin kimono that had opened enough to show her legs and her cleevage.

Inuyasha could not beleive his eyes. "Whats wrong Inyasha?,"Sangos voice rang out as she came through the door of the hut. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head. " Is my momma alright?." a worried shippo called out as he and Miroku came through the door as well. "What, but Momma I thought you.....," shippo was cut off as Miroku covered his eyes and mouth.

"What are you all looking at,?" an annyoed Kouga roared, glaring at the group. He then felt a soft tap on his shoulder, turning back to Kagome his eyes softened. "Um K-Kouga," Kagome stammered. "Do you think (blush) you could (blush) get off of me?" A blush quickly spread across Kougas face as he realized what the other's were staring at.

In a second flat he was off of Kagome, but that same second Inuyasha ponced ontop of Kagome and pulled her away from Kouga, who in return spun around kicking Inuyasha in the back of the head, who then let Kagome go flying throught the air, and headed straight for the fire, screaming at the top of her lungs.

Both Kouga and Inuyasha turned their attention to the screaming girl. "KAGOME!!", Inuyasha yelled, and started for Kagome, but only realize he wasn't fast enough.

Kouga wasted no time and sped off to his terrified angel. Miroku and Sango both looked at each other as they both wittnessed, what looked to them , fear, terror of lossing Kagome, flash through Kouga's light blue eyes.

Kagome was sure she was done for, she felt it in the pit of stomach. But that feeling soon changed when she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her pulling her from death. Kagome forced her eye's open, only to see a pair of familar light ice blue eyes staring back at her. 'Kouga saved me.......agian.' "Don't worry Kagome", Kouga spoke as they ran out of the hut, leaving Inuyasha yelling uncalled for names at Kouga, and Sango, Miroku and the young fox speechless. " I promised I wouldn't let anything happen to you again."

As Kouga's words filled Kagomes mind, a crimson blush shone on her cheeks. "K-kkouga...I-I would like to .. thank you for saving me...again." Kouga smiled and continued to the edge of the forest, where an old well was in a small clearing. Keade had told Kouga earlier that once Kagome awoke to take her to the old well in the middle of Inuyasha Forest, and she would know what to do. "Umm, Kouga where are we going?" "You will see soon enough, my angel." 'My Angel?(blush) Is that Kouga's new nickname for me? Oh dear,(blush) Inuyasha will not be happy with this one.'

Kouga finally stopped and Kagome gazed at her surroundings. They where at the old well. "Kouga? What are we going here?" "Last night Kaede told me that, when you woke in the morning, to take you to the well if Inuyasha had not returned, give you this note from her, and that you would know what to do." Kouga handed Kagome the note from Kaede, still holding Kagome, knowing that one of her legs was broken and that she could not stand on her own. Kagome unfolded the note and read.

A few Moments passed and Kagome refolded the note. "What did it say?," Kouga questioned. "Oh, just that I needed to go back to my era and get my injuries treated there. That's all" Did Kouga's ears hear wrong, did she say her Era? 'Is she not from this era, well that would explain the way she dressed but how.....' "Kouga do you think you could help me find my backpack, that yellow bag I carry around, i need it so whenI go home I can restock on supplies." "Sure" Kouga saw this as a good time to ask more questions on her era and such and such.



Chapter Six:

"Truth"

"So what do you mean, when you say back to your era? Are you not from this Era?" Kouga gazed down at Kagome, his eyes full of wonder, while he continued to carry the injured girl to the clearing where they had fought the deek youkai. "Well you see Kouga, I am from 500 years into the future. And the only way to get from my time to your time is through the Bone Eaters well, it's like a time portal." Kagome looked up at Kouga, seeing if he understood any part of what she had said. " I have heard of the Bone Eaters well being magical and of a miko that was from a different time, but I never thought it was you," Kouga said amazed. Kagome smiled, as a strangly gentle, playful look surfaced on Kouga's face, if only for a second, it reminded of her mothers smirk when she would joke around. It was emotion that she thought she never she on the face of a demon.

As they came into the clearing, Kagome spotted her yellow back pack in the bushes. "There, in the bushs Kouga." Kagome pointed. Kouga set Kagome down and went over to get the backpack, bringing it over, Kagome instructed how to put it on so her could carry it easier. After a few good giggles, Kouga finally got the blasted thing on. Kouga was just about to pick Kagome up, when he saw her freeze, eyes flashed with surprise. "What Kagome? Is somthing wrong?" "No, but maybe yes, those are Kikyos soul collectors." Kagome pointed into the sky. Kouga's gaze went in the direction of her finger. "Do you want to check it out?," Kouga asked, for he had a feeling something was wrong with this picture. Kagome nodded, and Kouga scooped her up and started to run after the soul collectors.

Kouga sped up not wanting to lose the soul collectors, but slowed down when he caught a fimilar scent in the air. 'Inuyasha.' "What's wrong Kouga? Why did you....," Kagome stopped her sentence as her eyes saw what she believed was Inuyasha. Quickly darting behind a tree, Kouga and Kagome both looked around it's wide trunk, staring at Inuyasha and Kikyo. But they were not close enough to hear. They watched in shock as Inuyasha walked slowly over to Kikyo, while kikyo turned away, she was about to walk away when Inuyasha did somthing Kouga or Kagome would of never expected. Inuyasha grabbed Kikyo by the shoulders, forcing her to turn to him, grabbed her chin with one hand and slammed his mouth onto hers. Kouga felt Kagome turn her head away, and looked down at her face, but was only greeted with the look of pain, and betrayal.

Kagome stared back into Kouga's eyes, but couldn't bear it. 'WHY?? Why did he have to kiss her?Why?' Kagome finally broke down, grabbing onto Kouga's neck as if he was her life, and sobbed into his neck. Kouga was in shock, and didn't help at all when he felt Kagome tears stream down his neck. Not knowing what else to do he sat down, and craddled Kagome like a child, rocking back and forth trying to sooth her. After a minute passed, Kagome's sobs stopped and Kouga set her down behind the tree and walked over to confront Inuyasha.

As their lips parted Inuyasha smiled hoping to see a smile on kikyos face but only a glare. But her glare was not directed at Inyasha but behind him. Whiping around, he felt a fist lock with his jaw sending him flying into Kikyo, and a few feet back. Getting up he looked for his attacker,but before he could do another thing he saw a foot coming straight for his head, he attemped to dodge but was to slow. Flying back he caught the sent of wolf .'Kouga?' Getting up he looked into his attackers face. "KOUGA, What the hell was that for?" Kouga just growled, his eyes glowed blue, and he snapped his nuckles. " Inuyasha, of all the low down evil things to do...", Kouga hissed " You do this! YOU TWO TIMER!!"

Kouga glared cold hearted at Inuyasha then to Kikyo. "You cause nothing but pain for my Kagome, so you must pay!" 'Kagome? Oh no she must of... they must of seen me and Kikyo.' "DIE!", Kouga screamed leaping into the air getting ready to launch one of his deadly punches. "KOUGA STOP!," Kagome's voice rang out through the morning air. Kouga stopped in the middle of his attack as he saw Kagome's hair flutter passed his face, and his heart stopped when he heard her scream. Falling back down to the forest floor he caught Kagome in his arms.

Inuyasha just stared in horror at the scence that played out before him. Kouga was just about to attack when Inuyasha saw one of Kikyo's arrows go flying passed his head, then he heard Kagome scream in pain as she leaped in front of Kouga, sheilding him with her body, and the arrow gabbing into her shoulder sending her flying back into Kouga's arms as he hit the ground. Kikyo had shot at Kouga but hit Kagome.

"NO, KAGOME!," Inuyasha's voice rang out into the forest.
As Kagome fell back into Kouga's arms she let out a painful scream. Kouga's eyes filled terror as he looked down upon his fallen angel. Covered in her own blood, her body began to glow. "K-Kagome... please hang on.. Kagome." Kouga whispered to her, his voice shaking. Kagome's eyes where full of pain, but she still smiled. "Kouga don't worry," she winced in pain. "Kikyo's arrows can only kill evil."

Kouga relaxed a tiny bit, but still was worried, for kagome had an arrow sticking out of her chest, barly above her heart, blood pouring down her stomach and arms, running onto Kouga. Kouga pulled her in a close embrace, as Kagomes world turned black. Standing up with his dying angel, covered in blood, in his arms, he glared at Kikyo, who stood there smiling.

"Foolish girl, she should of all people know that my arrows will kill demons on contact but will slowly kill mortals, in a slow painful death." Kouga shook with anger. Inuyasha's eyes filled with hate. "Kikyo, you don't even care?" Inuyasha glared hard at the living dead infront of him, that was Kikyo. "Why should I? Once the girl dies I get the rest of my soul back."

"NO,KAGOME I WON'T LOSE YOU!," Kouga screamed as he pulled the arrow out her chest, sending a shower of blood onto the forest floor.Kouga seeing that he had no time to waste ran as fast as he could to Keade's village. As he ran he yelled back to Inuyasha, "YOU AND YOUR WITCH WILL PAY WITH YOUR LIFES IF SHE DIES, THAT YOU CAN COUNT ON MUTT-FACE!!" Inuyasha couldn't beleive his eyes. Why did Kouga care, it wasn't like a demon to care for a human.

"Inuyasha is that hate that I sense from you", Kikyos emotionless voice called.

Inuyasha turned, his face full of anger, and was about to rip out her throat, when he noticed that she and her soul collectors had disapeared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hurry Kouga, and get some hot water! Miroku please be quick with those Bandages! Sango hurry and help me undress Kagome." Keade seemed to be the calmest out of everyone else in the hut. Sending, Kouga and Miroku outside, Sango and Keade, Undressed Kagome, only to meet their worst fear, Kagome had been shot in the heart, but thankfully her miko powers where working hard to keep her alive. Clean her wound the best they could, tears flowed down their faces, as they worked in silence. ' Why Inuyasha? Why did thy let this happen to young Kagome? Why?

After they finished redressing Kagome in a cleaner kimono, they called Kouga and Miroku in, and told them the bad news. "Kouga please, try to contain yourself..." "What is wrong? Is Kagome going to be alright? She is isn't she?" "Kouga please." Kouga finally sat down next to Kagome's side and grasped her hand as Sango continued blinded by her tears. "K-Kagome has been shot-t through the heart, and it is to serious for any of our medical help. She n-needs to go back to her time and get treated there. C-cause they might be able to s-save her there."

Kouga could not beleive his ears, his precious angel would soon die if not treated soon. Gripping onto her hand harder, a lonely tear slid down his face, he grinded his teeth together, showing his fangs as he tried harder not to cry, but the thought of lossing Kagome forever scared him. "Kouga, you have only two hours before she will die, please run her to the well, jump into the well so you and her are transported back to her time, and get help from her family. And please Kouga, do not draw attention to yourself, for there are no demon's in her time anymore.", Keade said, trying her hardest not to cry as well.

The group watched as Kouga disapeared down into the well, and prayed that Kagome would make it. They all stood around the well, and cried silently. Shippo wailed into kaede's chest, keade tried to sooth him but soon found it hard not to cry as well. Miroku held onto Sango as she cried into his chest, grabbing his robes as she sobbed, and Miroku didn't say a word but silently prayed, as a few unseen tears slid down his face.
Kouga sat on, what Kagomes younger brother called a 'Sofa', and thought over what had happened since he brought Kagome back. It had been nearely a week since Kouga had brought Kagome to her time.

FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Go Kouga , and please hurry, we do not have enought time to waste. Kagomes life depends on you." Keade placed the sacred jewel shard in Kagomes robes so that they could pass through the portal. Jumping down into the well Kouga was shocked to find that the bottom had disapeared and he floated through a sea of blue mist. After a few moments passed her felt the ground again, and the blue mist disapeared as qickly as it appeared. He looked up expecting to see blue skies, but saw that a roof covered the well. Looking back down on Kagomes face, he jumped up and out of the well. He looked at his surroundings, he was in, what looked like a hut of some kind.

When he finally got outside,his noise burned with the scent of Humans, causing him to nearly gag. Kouga finally calmed down and started towards the nearest house. Kagomes mother was in the Kitchen washing the dishes, when she looked outside. Her heart stopped and she dropped the plate that she was washing as she saw what looked like to be a boy carrying her daughters body. "OH MY GOD!", she cried as she ran out the door, to the surprised Kouga, who held her dying daughter. "Who are you and what happened to my daughter." Kouga was in shock, humans were usally scared away from him, but this human....reminded him so much of Kagome, fearless, brave, the works. Kouga looked into the eyes of the now crying woman, and told who he was, and what happened. When Kouga finished his story to the woman, she told him to follow her to a metal box on wheels, and sat him down with Kagome still in his arms and the woman sat next to him on the other side, and turned a knob of some kind and brought the box with wheels to life. After they had gotten onto a road,Kouga relaxed a bit, as Kagomes mother called the hospiltal with her cell phone.

They arrived at large building and Kagomes mother helped kouga bring Kagome in. Kouga wanted to go with Kagome but the doctors wouldn't let him "Let go of me Humans and let me see KAGOME", Kouga barked at the nurse. The Nurse scared out of her witts told him that Kagome needed to be under heavy treatment, and that they would come and get him when he could see her again.Kouga finally calmed down and went and sat down next to Kagome's mother.

After a hour passed, Kagome's mother spoked agian. "Kouga was it? Well I think you need some diffrent clothes, cause I can tell that you are like Inuyasha, a demon right?" Kouga growled softly at the half demons name and looked at the older woman. "What do you suggest?" Kagome's mother smiled and got up, asking Koga o follow her. They left and walked to the mall which was about a block away.

When they returned the nurse told them that they could see Kagome. Kagome would have never reconized Kouga if he hadn't spoken. He looked like a God. His hair was down,flowing over his shoulders. He had a pair of black cargo pants on, light blue undershirt and an unbottoned midnight blue dress shirt. Nothing to fancy, and although she thought it rather unusual to see Kouga in modern clothes, she had to admit he looked good!

"Well do I look suitable?" He asked her calmly, and smiled when he heard her response.

"I'll! Oh, I mean........ you look good...." then she muttered under her breath, "real good..." Kouga caught the little remark though, and couldn't help but feel satisfied.

Kagome's mother left a few moments after, leaving them alone to talk.

"The doctor say's that I can go home in three days at the least." Kagome said cheerfully. A Smile creep over Kouga's face as he grabbed her hand, and kissed it tenderly.

'What's he doing?' Kagome blushed, but didn't pull her hand away. As Kouga's lips left her soft skin she felt dissapointed. "What's wrong?" Kouga questioned, sensing that she was unhappy. "Oh nothing!" Kagome smiled and then tried to act as if nothing had happened , but even she couldn't control the fact that she blushed. Kouga noticed this and smiled again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End of FLASH BACK

Kouga continued to stare of into space. Sota, Kagomes little brother snuk up behind the dazed Kouga and whispered into his ear."You have a thing for my sister don't you." Kouga nearly jumped out of his skin, never before had anything been able to sneak up on him. He turned to back at his attacker, who sat there with an stupid childish grin on his face. "You do don't you?" Sota questioned again, as Kouga glared at the boy.

"Ya so, why do you care?" Kouga eyed the boy as he laughed. "Why are you laughing?"

"Cause every guy Kagome comes home with says the same thing!" Sota continued to laugh and roll on the floor, as Kouga's eyes filled with jealousy. "And who are all these other Guys?" Kouga questioned, as he grabbed the giggling boy by the head and stood him up straight. "Well there was Hojo, Inuyasha, Shippo, and Miroku. And now you!"

Kouga shoke with anger. 'Inuyasha said that he liked Kagome, he is such an ass! How could he be so Stupid!' "Umm ....Kouga .. are you alright?" Kouga's eyes snapped open as the honey sweet voice filled his ears. Whriling around his eyes meet Kagomes, and they locked into each others eyes, as they got walked slowly to one other. Qicker then lighting, Kouga grabbed onto Kagome, embracing her as if his life depended on it. "I've missed you too." Kagome giggled as she snaked her arms around his waist to return the hug. "Hey what about me?" Sota glared up at his sister, Kagome giggled as she released Kouga and scooped her little brother and gave him a huge bear hug. Sota returned the hug and also giggling pulled her down to the floor and started wrestling her down. Kagome just giggled and giggled. Sota looked up at Kouga, after he had pinned her shoulders down. "Kouga, hurry hold feet down!" Kouga walked over to the two sibbling and did what he was asked and watched, confused. Sota then jumped up and sat down on her hands, that where above her head and looked down into his sisters face, smirking. "Oh no Sota don't you dare!" But it was to late, before kagome could even atempt to get up, she heard Sota sream, "TICKLE MONSTER!"

Kouga couldn't help but laugh. Kaogme sheirked and giggled as Sota continued to tickle her arms and sides. "Kouga, hurry and tickle her knees, she is really ticklish there!" Kouga moved his hands up to her knees, and sat down on her calves, and started to tickle her.

"KO *giggle* GA, PLEASE DON'T TI*giggle-giggle*CKLE ME THERE!" Kagome screamed and looked up at her brothers face. "Sota I give UP *giggle* " Sota smiled and removed his hands, and Kouga did the same. Laughing hard the three layed on the floor, and waited till they felt like ther sides were going to explode from laughing to hard.



"Bye Mom! Bye Sota!" Kagome called out to her family. They waved back at her, wishing her a safe trip. She swung her over sized backpack over her shoulder, and ran to catch up with Kouga, who waited for her by the well house, dressed in his usual attire.

"What took you so long?" He asked her. Kagome huffed and gave her bag a little tug. "I made sure to pack extra ramen and candy for everyone." She replied giving him a cheery smile, and he couldn't help but smile back at her.

Opening the well house door, they stepped inside. Reaching the edge of the well, Kagome sighed saddly. "Something wrong, Kagome?"

"No, nothing's wrong." Kouga growled a tiny growl, causing Kagome to look up at him.

"Your lying." He stated plane as day.

"I just don't want to go back to Inuyasha yet, he is gonig to probally yell at me, for getting in the way of Kikyo's arrow and..."

"Kagome." Koga cut in. "Don't worry. If that Mutt-face even glares at you I promise to give him a good beating." Kouga said protectivly. "Because you are my woman."Kouga smiled at his last commet as he watched Kagome blush.

Shaking out his words, Kagome turned back to Kouga. "Well duty calls." Nodding at her, he wrapped his arm around her waist, as her slender fingers clutched onto his broad shoulders. Standing like that for a moment, he tightened his grip and jumped through.

Blue magic swriled around them, engulfing them both as they fell through together. He smiled as he felt her fingers slide down his back and wrap around his waist, her grip tightening as the blue magic slowly started to dissapear, and he held her closer.

As their feet touched the ground, kouga took a quick glance up at the opening of the well. Clear blue skies were above them, and birds chriped. 'And so it begins...'

"Hold on tight," he said to her, and she gripped harder around his waist. Pulling her closer, he leaped out of the well in one bound, landing on the soft green grass.Taking a deep inhale, the wolf prince was silently glad that his nose was no longer assaulted with the different smells of kagome's era. However there was one scent that he could've done without. . .

"Kouga!" A gruff, angry voice shattered the moments peace.

"Mutt-Face!"

Before Kagome could even blink, the clash of metal glinted in her eyes and the sound of clashing blades could be heard. Inuyasha and Kouga had already begun to fight. Kagome's eyes widened in surprise and fear as she felt Kouga's arm wrap around her protectively, and in a wild instant, she was hauled into the air, clinging onto his torso, with her eyes shut tight.

When she had opened them again, he had let her go. Leaving her in a safer spot beside a tree, his eyes locked with hers for a second, and whispered,



"Stay here," firmly before taking off, resuming the fight that was raging between Inuyasha and himself. Finally regaining her composure, her mind was brought to the situation at hand. 'Why are they fighting?' Kagome watched confusedly as the battle unfolded before her very eyes.



"Kouga!" Inuyasha's angry voice tore at the tense air. "You bastard! Stalking Kagome all the way to her time!" Inuyasha didn't even give it a second thought before jumping straight to his assumptions, and swung his blade with such force and ferocity that it took the wolf prince by surprise. But then again, this worthless mutt was prone to show hidden combat skills when it came to Kagome. Despite the sudden agility, Kouga managed to block it with his unused sword.


"What did you do to her?" Inuyasha breathed. The two swords clashed dangerously against one another, causing sparks to flicker in heated fury. Glaring his contempt, Kouga pushed back, stumbling Inuyasha backwards.


Kagome all the while was watching from afar, willing her voice to scream out for them to stop fighting. Although, she herself didn't know why they were fighting. She wanted to move to stop them, but her feet remained glued to the spot.


"Kagome!" Her head twirled in the direction of the voice. Miroku and Sango were running towards her, worry lined on their faces.



"Sango! Miroku!" Kagome managed to croak, finding her voice once more. "Please! You have to help me stop them!" The monk and taija averted their eyes to the scene before them, and a grave look came over Miroku's face.


"I knew something like this was going to happen," he turned to Kagome. "You're not hurt, are you?" She shook her head no.


"Why is Inuyasha attacking? I know he'd be mad at me for leaving, but Kouga didn't do anything! He helped me get home in time to save my life!" Kagome waited for their answer, and finally Sango took her friend by the shoulders.



"Kagome, Inuyasha believes that Kouga followed you back to your own time, and harmed you," Sango explained. "We tried reasoning with him, but he was set on the notion. Obsessed with it, really."


"What kind of 'harm' did he have in mind?" Kagome asked suspiciously.



"Oh, the usual bloodshed, abuse, slaughtering of innocent lives in your time," Miroku listed, and Kagome couldn't really blame the hanyou. Afterall, she was worried of the precise same things when she had just realized Kouga was with her.


She noticed that Kouga was trying his best not to attack, 'Is he keeping his promise to me, not to harm Inuyasha?' She blushed slightly when he stole a quick glance from her before resuming his battle. It was then that Kagome realized Miroku wasn't done, and what he said next sent her sputtering with shock.



"And Inuyasha believes Kouga may have sexually molested you."



"M-M-Molested?! S-s-s-s-sexually?" They both nodded, sweatdropping, as Kagome continued to stumble over her own words. He would never do THAT! Although she knew the wolf prince acted upon lust, he didn't, and she knew he would never, MOLEST her! "What gave him that idea?"



"He just told us that he had reason to believe. . ." Sango started, but they all grew silent as the sounds of clashing steel became louder, and Kagome grew still as Sesshomaru spoke.



"So violent, Mutt-face," Kouga's smooth, velvety voice remained calm "Always running blindly into battle, when you have no reason to," He spoke to the hanyou in a chiding manner, inwardly smirking when he Inuyasha flare with anger at having been told at like a child.



"Bastard! Don't change the damn subject. WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY KAGOME?!" Kouga's mask of indifference slipped upon hearing this, and was instead replaced with anger.



"She is NOT YOURS!" He growled out, and dropped his sword, and threw punches directly at Inuyasha's chest, sending hundreds of lightning daggers jetting from his fist, tearing at Inuyasha's clothes and flesh. Inuyasha looked glaringly up from his position on the ground. But he was more surprised to see Kouga's eyes glowing blue. He was angry now! 'Over what I said?'



Kagome gasped. Did she hear right? Inuyasha spoke as if she belonged to him, and Kouga spoke as if he wanted nothing more than for the whole idea together to be deemed untrue. 'Are they fighting over. . .over me?!'

Whelp," Kouga spat out, "Do not speak of Kagome as if she is property!" Inuyasha's eyes widened when he heard the possessiveness in the wolf prince's voice, and his suspicions were confirmed. 'He wants her,' he growled at the thought 'Not to mention his scent is all over her!' His hand clenched into a fist at the very thought of what the wolf demon might've done to Kagome while they were gone, and it sickened him.



"You, bastard. I'll make sure you NEVER touch Kagome again!" Inuyasha lunged forward, his claws ready to strike, and Kouga's own claws grew as he got ready to attack as well.



"STOP IT, RIGHT NOW!" Kagome's voice pierced the air like a knife, and both fighters froze, turning their heads towards the approaching girl.



"Kagome, get outta the way! I'm gonna slice him to pieces!" Inuyasha fumed when Kagome ignored him, and instead ran in front of Kouga, spreading her arms to protect him.



"No! Kouga didn't do anything!" The Wolf prince looked alarmingly at the miko who stood protectively in front of him. He reached out a hand and placed it firmly upon her shoulder, causing her to look up at him.



"Kagome, stay out of this. This is between myself and that Mutt," He told her sternly. Her eyes softened, and she covered his hand with her own. Inuyasha's blood boiled when he saw this, and he lunged once more, brandishing his sword in the air.



"GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF KAGOME!" He shouted angrilly, "Kagome! Get out of the way!" But she didn't budge, and Kouga began to worry if she planned to take the blow for him. Panicking, he swept Kagome into his arms, just inches before the blade made impact when---



"SIT BOY!" {Thump} Inuyasha fell headfirst into the ground, dropping Tetsusaiga and cursing about ungrateful bitches.



Kagome calmed a bit, and realized Koga was still holding onto her protectively. Looking up at him, she blushed a pretty pink, and separated from his safe embrace. Inuyasha managed to lift his head, fuming red as he saw the scene before him.



"Bitch! Why are you protecting him, again?!" The hanyou spat out from his position on the ground. Kagome turned her attention over to him, glaring with suppressed anger.



"Because I told you! He didn't do anything! And he certainly didn't do what you thought he did! And why do you care? You and Kikyo seemed very happy to see me get hit by the arrow!" Kagome stomped over to where he lay, "Idiot," she let out. Suddenly finding unknown strength, he instantly stood up, waving an accusing finger at her.



"Oh yeah?! Then why the hell is HIS," He pointed over to where Kouga was sending his piercing gaze at him, "scent is all over you?!" Kagome blinked, clinging onto his words so heavily drenched in jealousy. Her eyes softened for a moment, 'So that's why he thought Kouga molested me," then just as quickly, glistened in retaliation.



"You Idiot! Maybe it's because he was with me, and we went through the well TOGETHER! And I was holding onto him,maybe?" She stated obviously, "Geez! What are you so worried about? Nothing happened!" Inuyasha's eyes narrowed suspiciously at her, trying to see if her voice held any signs of deceit.



He guess he should just believe her, just look at it logically. Scoffing, he looked away, but not before spotting Kouga out of the corner of his eye. All of his rational thoughts blew away once more, when he realized Kouga was staring at Kagome---with a look of yearning in his eyes. Inuyasha growled, causing the miko to turn to him once more.



"What is it NOW, Inuyasha?" His amber depths locked accusingly at her, then,



"What REALLY happened?"



"SIT!" {thump}



"He never does learn, does he?" Sango nudged Miroku, who nodded his agreement. They watched as Kagome stomped pass Inuyasha's subdued form, mumbling under her breath. Kouga followed, inwardly smirking as he stepped over the stupid mutt, who was cursing his anger.



"Can you move any slower people?" Inuyasha called to the others trailing behind. Rolling his eyes, Miroku suddenly smirked and started walking in slow motion, winking at the others to do the same. Giggling, they all joined along in the "turtle" walk, getting quite into it and laughing when they saw their hanyou friend almost fell over at the sight of then. Even Kilala was doing a pretty good job.



"That's not what I meant, you idiots!" He huffed angrily, his face growing red when they continued to laugh at him. He hated being teased or poked fun at, and the worst part of it was they all knew and were doing it on purpose.



"But Inuyasha, isn't this what you wanted?" Shippo asked innocently. He sent a glare over at the little kitsune.



"For your information, it's a little thing I like to call sarcasm! But I guess you all are too stupid to know what I'm talking about!" He replied, a small smirk formed at his lips.



"Ah, I guess you know a thing or two about stupidity, don't you my dear friend?" Miroku added amiably, and the smirk disappeared from Inuyasha's face. He jumped right in front of the monk, amber eyes glinting in anger.



"What's THAT supposed to mean?"



Sango couldn't help but giggle slightly at their antics. She noticed that she was alone in her laughter, and turned over to Kagome, who had suddenly become still and quiet.



"Kagome?" The miko jumped at the sound of her name, and glanced over at the older girl. "C'mon, lighten up a bit! We're allowed to squabble like good friends, right?" She pointed over at the scene of Inuyasha strangling a goofily smirking Miroku.



"Yeah, Kagome, even you have to admit that's funny," Shippo said, hoping to cheer his momma. Ever since Kouga's departure the other day, Kagome had been slightly less enthusiastic. The kitsune pup had a suspicion that Inuyasha may have had something to do with it too, but either way, it didn't make him too happy to see his surrogate mother depressed.



But as she stood there, her eyes glued straight ahead with a sudden look of awareness in her stance, Sango and Shippo had a feeling this had more to do than with just her "depression."



"It's not that. . ." Kagome said softly, and Miroku and Inuyasha abruptly stopped their little squabble. Inuyasha was by her side in an instant.



"Kagome, what is it?" He asked sternly. She gave him a grave look, grasping her part of the jewel.



"I can feel him. . .he's getting closer. . ." She said slowly, the others looked at her confusedly.



"Who's getting closer?" Sango carefully asked, and Shippo clung onto her sailor shirt tighter. He could smell the nervousness from his momma. She drew him closer in return, and edged closer to Inuyasha.



"Can you hear them?" Kagome asked him, and Inuyasha's amber eyes widened for a moment before his ears twitched into an alert position. A sudden silence ushered over the group, and everything went still as the wind blew dust and leaves all around them.



Before long, the sound of buzzing insects floated through the air, and everyone averted their gaze upwards to see a swarm of poisonous insects coming their way. Amidst the hord of Naraku's army of insects was a dark cloud that carried a small dark figure, with blank, emotionless eyes.



Kagome heard Sango gasp beside her and turned her attention to her seemingly shocked friend.



"K-Kohaku. . ." She muttered in a torn voice. Kagome resisted the urge to draw her into a comforting hug, and instead readied her bow and arrows. Hesitantly, Sango did the same, pulling off her kimono, revealing the taija outfit underneath. Pulling her hair back into a ponytail, she sniffled back threatening tears as Miroku placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.



Nodding, she held her haraikotsu over her shoulder readily.



"Alright, everyone!" Inuyasha called to them, "Here they come!"



They all stood ready as the dark cloud descended upon them, and the insects were soon swarming around the group, almost creating a cage for the battle arena.



Kohaku slowly stood up from his kneeling position, and stared blankly at the group. Sango took the first step towards him.



"Brother. . .what is it that you. . ." He continued to look at her with the same, emotionless face. Slowly, but surely, he lifted his curved blade to point at her.



"I'm here for," The blade's point moved from Sango, to Kagome, and Inuyasha's eyes widened in anger. "Her." He answered in a monotone voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< br />
He lifted his nose to the air, and sniffed in the scent of a certain wind sorceress. Growling slightly, he turned tightened his hold on his sword.





A huge gust of demonic wind blew, and rattled the bones in his den. Sending a glaring gaze in the direction of the cave entrance, and there standing under the orange sky of the setting sun, was the silhouette of Kagura.



A low growl formed in the back of his throat at the sight of her.



"Wench, you are trespassing," He stated simply. Kagura jumped from her perch and entered the room.



"I'm not here to do any harm," She said calmly, "I have some information for you concerning Naraku." Before she could step any closer, Kouga had drawn his sword from his sash and had it promptly pointed at her.



"I have no business with that hanyou's spawn, and I could care less about him. Leave in peace, or I shall see to it that you leave in pieces," He warned her icily, his cold mask firmly in place. Kagura smirked, her fan opening to cover her smile.



"I wouldn't do that if I were you," She said in a singsong voice, causing the wolf prince to narrow his eyes in anger. He dropped his sword and within a half a second nailed the Kagura with his powerful punch, sending a single electric blade to cut the side of Kagura's cheek. She glared at him.



"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't slay you where you stand." Folding her fan, her face dead set serious, she let out a breath she had not even realized she had been holding in.



"It involves your miko, and if you truly care for her,even just a bit, you'll listen to what I have to say." Kouga glared at the wind sorceress before him, and sniffed her scent slightly. She wasn't lying. His eyes never left her face as he lowered his fist.



"Continue," he said expressionlessly.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

They were winning. . .they were actually winning. Inuyasha felt a sudden sense of triumph come over him, as his Tetsusaiga slashed through rows and rows of Naraku's demons. He watched with a sense of pride as his friends, though wounded pretty badly, were faring quite well on their own. Perhaps this was it, this was the day that they'd defeat Naraku.



"Wind-scar!" Inuyasha yelled out, slashing through the wind scar and slaughtering the remaining youkai. They disintegrated until there was nothing left, and throwing a smirk at their "general" he held the Tetsusaiga over his shoulder.



"Heh," guess your army is gone," He said in a cocky tone at Kohaku. The others quickly ran to his side, and awaited for what would happen next. It was just him now, Kohaku, and Sango felt relief well inside her at finally being able to free him. But before she could run to her younger brother, Kagome stopped her.



"No, Sango!" She said sternly, and the two girls gazed back to what was in front of them. From seemingly out of nowhere, Naraku in his trademark baboon pelt stepped out of the shadows and besides Kohaku. An eerie fog began to form all around them, but even in the white haze, they could still see him smirking through the miasma.



"Naraku," Inuyasha breathed, his voice dripped in hatred. He only chuckled in response.



"Happy to see me?" He asked in an almost pleasant voice. Kagome glared at him, while Inuyasha stepped in front of her.



"It ends today, Naraku!" He spat. The hanyou only smirked wider, and he lifted a hand to wrap around Kohaku's neck. Sango's eyes widened in fear.



"No! Don't!" She cried out. This only caused him to laugh and he slipped off his mask, crimson eyes glinting malevolently at the group.



"Don't what? End his life? He has already died, my dear Sango. All I have to do to send him back to the grave is. . ." His hand slipped from Kohakus' neck to his back, where she knew the jewel shard to be embedded.



"Stop!" Kagome shouted, and Naraku did just that, staring amusedly at the feisty girl.



"How about we trade? Your miko, for this boy?" He watched as pure shock ran through each and everyone of them.



"NO DAMN WAY, BASTARD!" Inuyasha lunged towards him, only to be pinned to a tree by an outstretched tentacle. Wincing in pain, he sent daggers over at the hanyou.



"Stay out of this," He said smugly. "Interfere, and I'll pierce it right through your bleeding heart."



Kagome's chest tightened as her eyes averted from Kohaku to Inuyasha. Then to the torn Sango beside her, who had a stream of tears falling from her brown orbs. Swallowing, she knew she had no choice, and stepped towards Naraku.



"No, Kagome, what're you doing?!" Sango asked, clutching her arm. Miroku too, was giving her a rather shocked and confused look.



"I have to, Sango. For Kohaku. . .and Inuyasha. . ." She whispered.



"No! I won't let you!" Shippo clung onto his mother, and cried freely into her clothing. But in an instant all of her friends were seemingly swatted away, as she felt strong tentacles wrap around her frame, and pulling her towards the evil hanyou.



"It's a deal then," Naraku breathed. Kagome glared at him, looking back at her friends sprawled, injured, on the forest floor.



"You, bastard," Inuyasha spat. Laughing insanely, Naraku took to the sky, taking Kagome and Kohaku along with him.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



He ran using his demonic speed, hoping to reach her in time before it was too late. According to Kagura, Naraku was planning to. . . 'God I hope she's safe,' he hoped against hope. As the smell of Naraku became stronger, his pace became faster. He had to see for himself if she was safe. That she wasn't in Naraku's clutches.



'I can't lose her!' A miasma was beginning to fog the area, and Kouga knew he was close. He came to an area heavily scented with the smell of blood, tears, and Naraku. But it also lingered with a scent he recognized to be Kagome's. Growling, he scanned the area to see Inuyasha and his companions lying wounded on the deserted battlefield. Except one person was missing. 'No. . .'



His eyes glowed bright blue, as he stormed to where Inuyasha struggled to stand, and in an instant, he had Inuyasha held into the air by the scruff of his front shirt.



"WHERE IS SHE?!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



'It's so cold,' her mind seemed to wriggle out that one thought as she came out of her dark haze. Slowly opening her eyes, she blinked several times to clear up the fog that blurred her vision. When she finally took in her surroundings, she found that she was in a very dark room---a dungeon most likely. A white, searing pain shot through her entire body, and a mind- blowing headache fell on her like a ton of bricks.



She wanted to bring a hand up to clutch her throbbing head, but found that her hands-as well as her whole body, was bound in cold chains.



"H-Hey! What gives?!" Kagome struggled against the chains, but found that whoever tied her up did a VERY good job on it. Her blood ran cold when she heard a spine tingling chuckle echo off of the prison walls.



"Like the chains, miko? I had then custom made just for you," Naraku's looming figure stepped from the shadows, his crimson eyes glinting malevolently with satisfaction. Kagome glared at him, and her bound hands clenched into tight fists behind her back.



"Naraku. . ." she began, "What are you planning to do with me? If it's the Shikon shards you want, you're not getting them!" His smile grew wider, making her shudder.



"My dear, I'm not interested in the shards today." he replied, and Kagome widened her eyes in confusion.



"Then what. . ."



"Miko, you are merely the bait," Naraku waved his hand, and the prison door opened for him. As he stepped inside the dark cell, she instinctively flattened herself against the wall. He kneeled down so that they were at eye level, and ran a finger down her cheek. Kagome jerked away and gave him a look of pure resentment.



"Don't touch me," she spat. Naraku froze for a second before letting out a malicious laugh.



"When you look at me like that, when you speak as you do. . ." he went on, and his hand shot out to grasp her chin firmly so that she was forced to look at him. "you remind me of Kikyo. . ." Kagome's anger suddenly flared ten fold and in an instant her body began to glow in a bright, pink light. A hot, searing white pain shot up Naraku's hand, causing him to release her chin.



The chains bound on her body began crackling with black electricity, causing her to scream out in pain. Just as quickly the pinkish light died away, and Kagome curled up into a ball on the cold, hard ground. Her whole body felt like flames were licking at it, and all thoughts were erased as she could only focus on the immense pain that flooded her body.



"Wench," he snarled, cradling his scarred hand. "I thought you might try something like that. That's what those chains are for. Their forged to contain your powers, and I imagine you must feel quite tortured at the moment."



"What is it that you're planning?" She managed to choke out as the waves of pain were finally dying. He glared at her, and loomed over her curled body.



"YOU," he growled, "Are in my way." Slowly, Kagome managed to get into a sitting position once more. She winced as the chains dug deep into her flesh as she did so.



"So, you're trying to get rid of me. . .and at the same time get rid of Inuyasha," He chuckled at her, and shook his head in an amused manner.



"It's quite more complicated than THAT! My dear, Kagome, your hanyou poses no real threat to me ALONE. But with you. . ." He approached her again, "Why break your body, when I can break your spirit? That is what your miko powers feed off of."



He sneered at her before getting up to leave. She watched him leave the dungeon, and her tears began to prick at her eyes. She shut them tight, willing herself not to cry. Would Inuyasha come to save her? She feared for his safety, and what did he mean by breaking her spirit?



A silver vision suddenly flashed in her mind. 'Inuyasha?' A sudden feeling of warmth and longing seeped in when she realized who it was that crossed her mind. The feeling of safety that she felt when she was in his arms, and how she wished to be there now.



"Kouga. . ." she whispered into the darkened dungeon.



Naraku closed the shoji door that lead to the prisons, smirking to himself as she was left alone with her thoughts.



"So, how is my reincarnation?" He turned his head to look at the priestess leaning against the wall, shadows cloaking half of her body. He smiled and held out a hand for her, which she took.



"She will be broken soon enough. Such a waste though, she had such fire. . ." Kikyo narrowed her eyes at him.



"The whole point of this is to put that fire out. . .Once she's gone nothing will stand in the way of what we want," Naraku nodded, bringing her cold hands to his lips for a kiss.



"It won't be long now."



~ ^_^ ~



His eyes remained glued straight ahead, his midnight black hair bellowing behind him like a silk cape, and all of his thoughts remained on her, 'Kagome.' Below his whispy cloud, he spotted the worthless half-demon from the corner of his eye, leaping from tree to tree. A growl formed in the back of his throat and his fists clenched in anger.



Kouga would've killed him for his carelessness if only he hadn't known that Kagome would probably hate him for it. But that did not stop the growing rage and hatred that grew each second as they continued their pursuit. He had left his precious Kagome in Inuyasha's care, trusted---yes trusted him to protect her, and the next thing he knew she's in the hands of Naraku.



His whole being ached to see her once more, to hold her in his arms just to know that she was safe. He knew he couldn't blame it all entirely on Inuyasha, because according to the group's retelling of the story, it seems that Naraku had left her with no other choice. She had willingly given herself up to save her friends---to save Inuyasha.



How his blood boiled over in anger at that thought. His half-brother was completely undeserving of her loyalty. . .her love. No, Kouga took back what he thought earlier. It WAS all Inuyasha's fault. If only Kagome wasn't such a loyal, unselfish person. . .but then again, it were those attributes along with others that caused him to respect her.



"Kagome. . .sorry. . ." Kouga heard Inuyasha muttering from above, and his ears could catch the regret and guilt written in his voice. He looked to the quickly darkening sky and couldn't help but think of the same thing. 'Kagome, sorry. . .'



It was silent, everything was deathly silent. Save for the sound of the wind and the rustling of the trees that signified each of Inuyasha's leaps. It was just the two of them going after Naraku. The others were too wounded to follow, and had been left behind at Kaede's hut. 'A good thing too, they would've merely slowed us down.'



"Hey, Kouga!" The demon prince sent a glaring gaze in the Inuyasha's direction, but the half demon paid no heed to it and continued. "Why do you care so much about Kagome's safety anyway?" He asked, still jumping from the treetops to keep up with him. He had to know what was his motivation, why Kouga's eyes glowed blue when he found out of Kagome's predicament. And why he was helping him rush to retrieve her this very instant.



Kouga averted his ice blue eyes to the scene ahead of him. Did he dare tell Inuyasha the truth? That he was in love with the miko? That he was in love with Kagome?



Finding that he was answered with nothing but silence, Inuyasha growled in impatience and called out to Kouga again.



"Answer me!" Still, he didn't even spare a glance back at him, but instead remained silent. After a moment however, he decided to break it.



"She is a friend, and a valuable ally," he said stoically. The hanyou narrowed his eyes at him, he could tell there was more to it than that. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten so angry.



"Is that all?" Again, silence. The streaks of silver cloud continued to whisp behind them, and as the sky looked as if it were bleeding from the light of the barely visible crimson moon, Kouga whispered in a barely audible voice devoid of his usual ice.



"I vowed to protect her as well, for she is my woman." Those were the last words exchanged between the two demons before the looming castle and thick miasma of Naraku came into view.



Getting ever closer, they went back to their deathly silence, finding that it was far more comfortable. And as Inuyasha watched the Wolf demon fly overhead, he couldn't help but feel that he DID respect the wolf prince on some level. But at the same time, a deep loathing grew inside of him. It screamed with jealousy and the unshakable thought of Kouga having feelings for his Kagome.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was suffocating being here. The mere fact that she was in Naraku's grasp. . .it was too much. This whole castle held his stench, and she didn't have to be a demon to sense that. The whole atmosphere was just so heavily permeated with a melancholy yet malevolent aura that it was-again, suffocating.



She hated feeling so helpless, feeling as if she needed saving all the time. But she had no choice, she was bound with chains that suppressed her powers, and Inuyasha. . .she hoped he was alright. But he was wounded when she had last saw him. Who was there left?



"Do not worry," A feminine voice called out from the shadows. Kagome's eyes darted around the dark room and her sapphire pools rested on a shadow she recognized to be. . .



"Kagura. . ." The wind sorceress revealed herself to the miko, a look of seriousness on her face.



"He will come for you," she said cryptically. Kagome looked questioningly at her, and just by her mere presence, her aura, she could tell she didn't mean any harm.



"Who?" She asked meekly. Kagura stepped closer to her, and a small smile graced her lips.



"I can see why he chose you. . .Kagome." The demoness stared at her in an almost friendly way, and her silky red eyes softened when Kagome still gave her a confused look.



"Who chose me? Who's coming?" She waited with anticipation for the answer, and as Kagura closed her eyes, smile still firmly in place, she whispered so that only she could hear.



"Your demon prince."



Kagome's eyes widened with shock. 'Kouga?'



"H-how? How do you know?" She only gave her an amused look, and shook her head. Her bangs covered her eyes, and she said nothing as she opened the door to her cell. Helping her to her feet, It was then that the miko realized what Kagura meant.



"Thank you, Kagura," she said softly. The demoness paused for a while, staring into the dark abyss.



"No matter what Naraku tries, you must not let your spirit break." With those last words, she pulled Kagome to her feet, and held onto her arm as they left the dungeon. Confused, Kagome could only follow.



"Where are we going?" Kagura stared at her, a dark look coming over her face.



"He is here for you. And now it begins. Do not forget what I have told you, miko." Swallowing, she nodded as she was being lead closer and closer to Naraku's chambers. Just before entering, Kagura leaned in close to whisper in her ear, "Please, set me and my sister free."



The shoji door opened, revealing Naraku and someone else beside him. Kagome gasped when she realized who it was.



"K-Kikyo?"



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~



This was it, they were finally here, and the arena was set. Kouga saw Naraku waiting patiently outside in his courtyard, cloaked in his usual baboon pelt. A hair-raising laugh escaped his lips and as the two demons landed, his smile grew wider.



"Ah, Kouga. I did not realize that you would be here as well. . ." He greeted with a disgustingly pleasant voice. The demon prince only responded with a low growl, his hand rested readily on his sword.



"NARAKU!" Inuyasha ran several paces ahead drawing Tetsusaiga and pointing it threateningly at the hanyou. "GIVE ME BACK KAGOME!" Naraku laughed at his demand, as if it were positively ludicrous.



"You'll have to come and find her. . ." With that, Naraku released his poison fumes and with it, his multiple tentacles lashed out at them.



"YOU BASTARD!" Inuyasha screamed at him, slashing out at the tentacles. They fell one by one, blood raining the ground, but it seemed futile as they only regenerated themselves. Both of them growled.



"Filthy scum," Naraku spat, "I have no times for your games!" He removed his hand from his sword, and clencthed his fists and lashed all of his tentacles away with his powerful punches, even going as far as hitting Naraku's body himself with the electric spikes that shot from his fists. The hanyou grimaced in pain, his eyes glittering madly at the wolf prince.



"Such ferocity, and all of this for a lowlife human?" Kouga's eyes glowed blue at this, and his fangs were bared threateningly. Leaping up in the air he sent millions of electric daggers pelting straight at the sneering hanyou from his powerful kicks.



"That 'lowlife human' is worth more than you ever will in a thousand lifetimes!" Kouga bit out. Inuyasha watched in a shocked state at the anger that flared in Kouga's eyes, and he was even more surprised at how much damage he did to Naraku on that one statement alone.



Naraku let out a painful cry as the daggers tore at his flesh, and in an instant, another poison miasma fogged the arena. Kouga growled deeply as he squinted his eyes, searching the haze for the any sign of the hanyou.



A malicious cackle soon echoed in the atmosphere, and both Kouga and Inuyasha averted their gaze to the sky to see Naraku flying into the forest. Cursing and growling, they both took off, following him as he went deeper and deeper.



"Where the hell is he taking us?" Inuyasha asked through clenched teeth. They watched as he finally descended to what seemed like a clearing that led to a cliff just outside his castle. Kouga's eyes narrowed and a deep frown graced over his lips when he saw someone else was waiting for them.



"He's taken us to Kagome," He said, growling. Inuyasha smirked when he heard this, it was going to be easier than he thought. Kouga on the other hand, wasn't as thrilled to see her as he thought he would be. It was too easy. Something is wrong. . .and he knew Naraku must be up to something.



They landed, glaring dangerously at the hanyou.



"Is she what you're looking for?" He sneered, and gestured for Kagura to bring Kagome for the two demons to see.



Kagome whimpered as her chains yanked her into view, and she gave a fearful look at them. Kouga failed to suppress his growl when he saw her chained up like she was, and sniffing the air he could tell they were cast with some sort of spell-probably to contain her miko powers.



"I'm sorry," she muttered, and at her words, Kouga wanted nothing more than to sweep her into his arms and whisper that she had nothing to be sorry for.



"Let her go, Naraku!" Inuyasha yelled out, his amber eyes glittering in anger. Naraku only raised an eyebrow at them, smirking as he realized that the demon lord was flexing his hand in equal rage.



"Oh it's not as simple as that," He snapped his finger and a tiger youkai appeared, also holding a chain with another prisoner. Inuyasha widened his eyes in shock and his whole body became numb as his the unmistakable form of the undead priestess came into view.



"I-Inuyasha. . ." She whispered, looking at him with a sense of helplessness and fear. Kouga was shocked as well. He had anticipated this happening, Kagura had warned him about it. He glanced over to where she stood with Kagome, and her crimson eyes flashed for a second before nodding. The entire outcome was to be decided by the Mutt-face. He prayed that he would make the right choice, for Kagome's sake.



"Kikyo. . .what the hell is this, Naraku?!" Inuyasha's whole body began to shake with fury, causing Naraku to smile amusedly.



"I have to commend you on being such a worthy opponent. And because I am not entirely selfish. . ." He took both Kagome's and Kikyos' chains into his own hands, and dragged their resisting bodies over to the side of the cliff. Both of them watched in rage as Naraku held them over the cliff. "I will allow for one, and only one of them to live."



Kouga wanted to rip out the hanyou's throat then and there. But he knew he couldn't. Kagome's life was at his mercy, and if he did, then the matter with Kikyo would never be settled. This was the moment of truth.



"Inuyasha! Don't fall for it! Kikyo's not---" Kagome was cut short as the chains around her glowed black and she winced in pain.



"Kagome!" Inuyasha ran towards her, but at the same time Kikyo cried out as well, as her chains began crackling also with black electricity. He stood there, torn and the battle raged inside his heart. 'Which one?' Naraku laughed in pure satisfaction and malice at seeing the conflict inside him.



"It is time for you to choose, Inuyasha. So who will it be?"



"I-I. . ." Kouga placed a hand on his shoulder, staring sternly at him, and his eyes furrowed together to show worry.



"Inuyasha. . .choose wisely," he advised, and hoped against hope that he would choose life over death. But despite those words, he still looked lost, his eyes darting from Kagome to Kikyo. Naraku was growing impatient, and decided to speed the process along.



"I'll let your instincts guide you. . ." He smirked, and in the blink of an eye, he had let go of both their chains, sending Kagome and Kikyo plummeting to the earth.



"NOOO! KIKYO!!!!!" Inuyasha cried out, and quicker than lightning, he raced towards her.



As Kagome felt the air rushing past her, her eyes blurred over with tears at hearing Inuyasha calling out for not her, but the dead priestess. Staring blankly up at the sky, she saw Inuyasha's form carrying an unconscious Kikyo back over the cliff.



'Inuyasha. . .I really mean nothing to you. . .don't I?' Her tears escaped her eyes, scattering to the wind as she accepted death, her whole soul felt empty now, and her heart felt like it was being twisted and torn apart. She knew it was the feeling of her heart breaking, and she thought it had broken before. . .but never like this.



Before her sapphire depths were completely shut, she caught a glimpse of a giant brown wolf demon, leaping over the cliff heading straight for her.




The moment Naraku had released the chains, the moment he saw her sapphire eyes widen in fear and hope, Kouga felt like something was tearing inside him. A life devoid of Kagome. 'Save Kagome!' His mind screamed out to Inuyasha, but it was of no use. Inuyasha had already chosen, and it was not Kagome, but Kikyo.



Eyes glowed blue, and faster than lightning, he had begun to run towards the seemingly forgotten girl. In a whirl of dust and wind, he began to glow as light engulfed his being, transforming into his wolf-demon form. Without a second thought, he had jumped over the cliff after her.



He saw Inuyasha fly past him in a blur of red and white, carrying the undead miko back over the cliff, and snarled. Kouga turned his gaze back over to Kagome, who plummeted farther to the earth, her eyes locked onto Inuyasha, filled with pain and loss. He watched with torment as she closed her eyes and tears scattered to the winds as if telling him in her own silent way that she had given up. The wolf prince nearly winced when he felt the droplets pelt his fur.



Kouga was suddenly engulfed with emotion. He felt it. Felt all her pain and agony, all of her broken dreams and hopes. He had wished never to have to see her have that look of loss in her eyes ever. And that feeling alone made him want to erase the demons that haunted her soul. All thoughts other worldly thoughts vanished from his mind, and all he could think about was, 'Kagome.'



As the distance between them closed, Kouga caught her by the scruff of her kinomono, and bound on a nearby ledge to jump back up. He heard her give a gasp of surprise, and whisper his name in a hushed voice. Being so close to her now, he could smell the tears that spilled from her orbs. He fought back the urge to growl.



Leaping over the cliff, his blue eyes caught sight of the scene below him. Naraku and his minions were nowhere in sight, leaving only Inuyasha and Kikyo in the clearing. That was when he saw. Kouga saw Inuyasha stare up at him. . .or rather staring at Kagome, in a pleading, torn manner. His amber eyes begged for forgiveness from her.



Kouga tensed when he felt Kagome shake her head, and giving out a shaky breath, her voice sounding cracked with sorrow, she whispered into the night air.



"Sorry, Inuyasha. But I can't. . .I mean nothing to you. . ." Kouga never wanted to spill Inuyasha's blood so much as he wanted it now. 'I will make him pay for every drop of tears that he has caused to spill from Kagome's eyes,' he silently vowed.



Sending Inuyasha a cold glare from the corner of his eye, Kouga flew off in the direction of Kaede's village, leaving him alone with the decision that he had made. And Kagome. . .she didn't even glance back once at the hanyou.



The stars twinkled above them dully, as if they melded in with the sad atmosphere, and seemed to have suddenly lost their luster. All the while, they traveled in silence. Kouga was still holding Kagome by the scruff of her kimono, but she didn't seem to mind.



That's what worried him. She didn't speak, didn't move; just stared blankly at the scenery before her. Her tears had ceased, but the scent of unshed sorrow still assaulted his nose. He feared that she had become numb. He himself didn't know what to say or do. Would he comfort her? Would she allow it? Or would she just push him away? He prayed that would not be so.



As they neared their destination, Kouga began to descend. Landing in a field outside the village, he eased Kagome to her feet. She stood absolutely still as he bit into her chains, breaking the cold metal, and sending them pooling at her feet.



Kagome continued to stand there like a statue, until all of a sudden she snapped. Whirling around, she ran to hug Kouga's wolf-like face, sobbing into his chocolate fur. Kouga stared at her with widened eyes, but his surprise soon died away, as he leaned into her embrace.



"Oh, Kouga!" She cried. "He didn't want me! He never did! Inuyasha left me for that dead. . ." Kagome held onto him as if her life depended on it, and at the moment, perhaps he was the only thing keeping her light from dying. Closing his eyes, he purred, trying to soothe her with the comforting sound. His tongue crept from his mouth to lick her warm hand, and Kouga felt her nuzzle into his fur.



"It hurts. . .Kouga. . ." Kagome whispered. The wind whirled around them, as Kouga reverted back to his human-like form. But all the while, Kagome still hung onto him like a frightened child, and when the transformation was complete, he held her tightly against his chest.



"Shhhhh," He hushed into her ebony hair, running his fingers through the silky texture. It hurt him too, seeing her like this. It hurt more than knowing she belonged to the Mutt-face, because at least then, she was happy. 'But she doesn't belong to Inuyasha,' his thoughts interrupted, and he would've cheered at that realization if Kagome were not in pure misery. And now he feared---for the first time feared---that he would never see her smile again.



"Inuyasha is a fool. He doesn't know what he has lost," He comforted. Kouga's hand went to rub soothing circles on her back, and he tensed when her hot tears began to flow down his chest.



"No, Kouga. I'm the fool. For ever thinking he could ever love someone like me! I'm nothing but a shadow of Kikyo. . ." Kouga pulled her away from his embrace just enough so that he could look at her face. But her head hung low, tears continuing to stream down her flushed cheeks.



He frowned when she refused to meet his gaze, and lifted her face that sapphire locked with ice blue. Tracing a thumb gently over her chin, Kouga's eyes softened as he watched the sparkling droplets fall one by one from her eyes.



"No, you are Kagome. More beautiful and strong than Kikyo could ever be, and Inuyasha. . ." His voice became harsh with brutal honesty, and she could tell just by listening that he believed it with all his heart, "does not deserve you."



Sniffling the remainder of her tears, Kagome gave him one last embrace before pulling away.



"Thank you, Kouga. That means the world to me," she said with her best cheery smile, though pain was still laced in her voice. Gently withdrawing from his warmth, Kagome turned to look at the village. He moved closer to her side.



"Will you wait for him?" He asked sadly. She sighed, cheeks still flushed as a few strands of midnight locks fell over her shoulder, dancing with the wind.



"I can't face him now. And I can't stay here tonight. . .I just can't." He nodded in understanding, brushing away her wayward strands.



"Will you return to your era?" Her sad, sapphire eyes gazed at him, and she gestured for him to walk with her to the hut.



"I really don't know. Anywhere but here," She said, voice almost empty. And for a moment, it almost sounded like she had resolved with her decision. "You must think I'm pathetic, bawling like that, but. . ."



"I think no less of you. It is Inuyasha who I feel an even deeper sense of revulsion for," Without another word, they both walked down the path leading to the village. Kouga followed her soundlessly behind, watching as she moved almost mechanically towards the hut.



After a while, she finally spoke.



"You know what, Kouga?" She started. He focused his attention to her. "Sometimes I wish I can just fly away. . ." His eyes flickered over to the miko and she paused to stare back at him, standing right outside of the hut.



"Thanks for walking me back. I'm sorry for being such a bother." She was about to enter the hut when he stopped her.



"I thought you said you weren't going to stay here."



"I'm not," Kagome responded sadly, "I need to get my stuff, and tell the others I'll be gone for a while. Thanks again, Kouga." Kagome said softly before entering the hut. All he could do was stare after her, his whole being seemingly numb as he waited for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< br />


"Kagome!" Sango steadied herself on her feet but Kagome eased her back down.



"Momma!" Shippo pounced straight into her embrace, and she gave him a half- hearted hug. "I was so worried Naraku was gonna kill you!" He sobbed into her shirt. Kagome smiled sadly down at the little kit, ruffling his flaming red hair affectionately. This didn't go unnoticed by Miroku.



"Yes, I'm glad you are well, Kagome. But you don't seem to be too happy about it," He inquired. She didn't look up at them, but instead went to her yellow backpack propped up in the corner of the room.



"I noticed Inuyasha is not with you," He asked cautiously. Kagome stiffened at his name, and Shippo winced when smelled salt tainting his momma's scent. He looked questioningly up at her, but Kagome's bangs shadowed her eyes.



"Kagome?" He whimpered. Sango could sense her friend's distress, and she had a hunch of what happened, but not quite sure, she had to ask.



"Didn't he come for you?" Kagome's tears finally fell, and it took all of her effort to answer the taija.



"He came. But it wasn't for me," She said through cracked sobs. They stared at her.



"What do you mean, Kagome?" Sango went closer to her, placing a comforting hand on Kagome, but she only shrugged it away. She glanced to what the miko was so occupied in doing and widened her eyes in surprise. Finishing up, Kagome hoisted her bag over her shoulder, and gave them all a tearful look.



"Where are ye going, child?" Kaede asked gently, although she was just as surprised as the others at her sudden desire for departure. She bit her lower lip, not sure how to respond to them, and decided to tell them what she told the demon prince.



"Anywhere but here," Shippo clung even tighter to her at this.



"No! I don't want you to leave Momma! Stay here!" He bawled. She pried the little kitsune's clutching fingers from her clothes, looking apologetically down at him.



"I'll come back. . ." She whispered.



"Where will you go? Home?" Miroku asked, and he raised an eyebrow when she did not answer him. Just as she was going to open her mouth to do just that, a shadowed figure stepped into the doorway. Everyone turned their heads in surprise, and Kagome gasped when she saw it to be the moonlight silhouette of the demon prince.



"She is coming with me," He said impassively.



"Kouga stood before her now, followed her into the hut and gave her a somewhat silent command to come with him. And yet at the same time, Kagome could see his ice blue depths almost pleading her to do so.



"Kagome, is this true?" She turned to Kaede, who was prodding her form questioningly with her one eye. She chewed her lower lip once more, unsure of what to do. Should she accept the demon prince's invitation?



"I. . .Kouga?" She stepped closer to him, his gaze never left her eyes. Kagome never once blinked, and her heart almost melted when she realized he held nothing but honesty. Why he wanted her to come so badly with her she didn't understand. But she felt she couldn't resist. "Can I really?"



He said nothing to her, but instead took her yellow bag from her hands, slinging it over his shoulder.



"I will wait for you outside," Kouga turned his heels and left the hut, his black hair flowing behind him. Everyone stared after him, not knowing what to say. Kagome herself was frozen like a statue until she felt a little tug on her collar. She blinked, and stared dazedly down at Shippo.



"Momma, can I come with you?" He asked, hope laced in his innocent voice. Swallowing her surprise, she finally found her voice to answer.



" Sure," He hugged her then, and muttered into her shirt,



"Better to be with Kouga than Inuyasha. . ." Smiling half-heartedly, she turned to the others.



"I guess I'll be gone some time," She said softly. "Tell Inuyasha not to follow me, and I'll come back soon." Kagome turned to leave as well, but before leaving the room, she added, "I promise him that."



With the swish of the straw-woven door, she was gone, leaving them all speechless.



"Um. . .what just happened?" Sango finally broke the silence. Miroku ran his hand through his hair exasperatedly.



"I suppose since Inuyasha didn't come for Kagome, Kouga did."



"Aye," Kaede sighed. "But then who DID Inuyasha come for?"



'Inuyasha,' Miroku thought worriedly, 'I hope for Kagome's sake and yours that you did not go and do something stupid, my friend.'



Kagome walked soundlessly outside, deep in thought at Kouga's sudden strange behavior. Hearing a soft purr, she looked up to see the giant chocolate brown wolf that was Kouga. He was crouched down on all fours, eyes staring patiently at her.



"Wow! Is that Kouga? He's GIGANTIC!" Shippo exclaimed. Kagome almost giggled when she saw Kouga roll his eyes at the kitsune's observation. Holding her surrogate son closer, she approached him.



Kouga lowered his head to her level, and sniffed Shippo a bit.



"He's coming with us. . ." She said. He nodded, and gestured for her to climb onto his back. Kagome took her yellow bag that was at his feet with her, and climbed rather clumsily on. He growled softly at her, as if telling her to hang on tight, before standing up and leaping to the sky.



Kagome hung onto his fur for dear life, her stomach doing a flip at the sudden change in heights. Shippo didn't seem so frightened though, as he let out a,



"Wheeeeeeeee!" in pure delight. After a while, Kagome couldn't help but relax, and started enjoying the moonlight ride. She glanced at the scene beneath her, gasping at the beauty of an emerald sea of forests stretched before her.



She absently stroked Kouga's chocolate mane, and was brought back to her senses when she heard a purr come from him. She took her hand away instantly, only to be rewarded with a dissatisfied growl. Blinking, she returned to petting his fur, and the purring began anew.



Smiling, she started scratching---almost tickling him playfully. He bucked, and jumped higher in response, and Kagome stopped immediately to clutch even tighter to his fur.



"Don't do that!" Shippo whined. Kagome couldn't help but laugh, she knew Kouga was only being playful. Now there's a thought. . .Kouga, playful!



Kagome's laughter rung like a precious melody in Kouga's ears, and he inwardly smiled. He was afraid he'd never get to hear it again. Something inside of him wanted to keep it going, so he did the only thing he could think of. He leaped even higher into the clouds.



She let out an excited squeal at this forgetting all about her pain for just one instant to bask in the wonderful feeling of having the wind whip through her hair. Looking up to the moon that hung above, she smiled.



"Higher!" She giggled, and he complied with her wishes. As they leaped from cloud to cloud, Kagome felt like her soul was souring. It was like she was flying! And Kagome never in her entire life felt so free, and she never in her life imagined Kouga to give her this feeling.




Torn and pleading amber eyes watched as the giant brown wolf of Kouga carried away the girl that he had broken his promise to protect. And amber eyes flickered with guilt and sorrow as he locked onto her sapphire ones, and he knew. Just knew that she had given up on him. He could see the feeling of loss and the knowledge of abandonment so plainly reflected on her sad, beautiful face.



Not only that, but he heard as well. The whisper of her voice still ringing in his ears as her soul became numb.



"Sorry, Inuyasha. But I can't. . .I mean nothing to you. . ."



At those words Inuyasha closed his eyes and turned away from her. Not daring to watch as the silver silhouette of the brown wolf and Kagome disappeared into the clouds. It hurt him too, and at the moment, he hoped with all of his heart that Kagome would forgive him. Though, he wouldn't blame her if she didn't.



He knew that Kouga wouldn't forgive him for what he had done either. Inuyasha caught the look of deep disappointment and loathing that the wolf prince sent him. Sure, he had seen it before, but this time. . .this time he knew he meant it. The hanyou clenched his fists in guilt and anger. This was the first time that he had let Kouga's stare of ice and brutal honesty get to him. It was a mortifying feeling. And the worst part of it was, he inwardly admitted that perhaps, Kouga was right.



A slight tug on his sleeve brought him out of his misery, and amber orbs lifted to meet the face of the woman that looked so much like Kagome. 'Funny, I think of Kikyo as looking like Kagome now, instead of the other way around. . .' strange, he knew. Or perhaps it was still the guilt that was talking. He placed clawed hands gently on her shoulder.



"Are you alright? Did Naraku hurt you?" He asked her worriedly, looking her over for any injuries. Kikyo stood there, her face unreadable and chocolate brown eyes bore into Inuyasha.



"You chose me. . ." She said emotionlessly. He looked at her through flaring eyes.



"Of course I did! I promised to protect you!" She smiled coldly at him, enough so that even Inuyasha almost shivered.



"You promised her as well," She reminded him. Her smirk faded away however, when she saw his ears flatten against his scull, and his face turned away from hers, eyes shadowed by his bangs. Her grip on his hoari tightened. 'He regrets breaking his vow.' "Inuyasha, look at me."



"I DID promise Kagome. But you'll always come first," He answered her in an almost regrettable voice. Turning to face her, he lifted a clawed hand to her face, and as if telling himself to make the best of his decision, crushed her body against his in a tight embrace.



Slowly, he felt her arms snake around his torso as well, holding him close. The wind blew violently all around them, and a light glowed from beneath them, and Inuyasha could feel the fiery pits of hell underneath his very toes. Almost as if stuck in a trance, he found himself unable to move. As the world dimmed around him, Kikyo's lips curved into a smile.



"Come with me Inuyasha. . .come with me into hell. We'll be together for all eternity."



'Kikyo will always come first, please forgive me, Kagome.' He inhaled in her scent of earth and bones, and though the floral scent of Kikyo was still there, the scent of death was dominant. His amber eyes snapped open in surprise when he smelled something else too.



It was vague at first, barely even noticeable, but it became stronger with each passing moment. Yes, it was unmistakable, the scent of blood and sulfur; the scent of Naraku, laced heavily in with her own. Inuyasha growled deeply, yanking Kikyo out of his embrace, and breaking the trance. The hole that was beginning to form into the pathway to hell disappeared, leaving them standing out with soulless orbs surrounding them angrily.



Before Kikyo could say anything, he violently yanked her kimono off of her shoulder.



"No. . ." There it was; the mating mark of Naraku, deeply engraved in Kikyo's pale skin upon the junction of her neck. It was as plain as day, and he stared angrily at it as it mocked him. His amber eyes flashed with confusion, rage, hurt, and betrayal to the undead miko's face. To his shock, all that met his eyes were a cold smile and glittering empty depths.



"Surprised, Inuyasha?" She leered.



"Kikyo. . .WHY?!" He nearly shouted, using every last bit of his strength to keep his voice from cracking. She laughed, causing him to flinch, and stepping away from his grasp, she slipped the kimono back over her shoulder.



"It was necessary. I needed to remind you whom you belonged to," She said icily.



"By going to Naraku?! You. . .you MATED with him!" He said with the uttermost contempt and disgust. "How could you?" Inuyasha breathed, his whole body shaking with rage. His fists clenched and unclenched and if he didn't release his anger soon, something was going to break. Still, he kept his unwavering eyes glued to Kikyo.



"It matters not to me how I obtain what I want, as long as I get it. And Naraku was going to help me get what I want. . .we made a bargain."



"So, you gave yourself to him!" He spat. "You're nothing but a hore!" He seethed with anger. His claws---for the second time ACHED to spill her blood. And yet the same time, he wanted to erase the very words that passed her lips so that he knew in his heart she still belonged to him.



"How. . .why couldn't I sense it before? Why now when it's too late?!" He cried out. He lunged forward, and grabbed Kikyo roughly by the shoulders. "KIKYO! WHY?!" A cold, unfeeling laugh escaped her lips, and he stiffened at the sound.



"You fool. Naraku masked his scent on myself. I---no, WE needed you to choose me." He blinked in confusion.



"What the hell do you mean? You know as well as I do that I would've gone with you no matter what!"



"LIES!" She screeched. "You would've chosen that filthy reincarnation of mine when the time came. I can see it in your eyes, Inuyasha! So, I decided that it was the time to get rid of her so you can fulfill your obligations to me without any thoughts of HER!"



Inuyasha growled under his breath, for the first time seeing the true hatred and bitterness so evidently shining in her brown eyes.



"What does Naraku get out of this?" 'Besides your body?' He mentally added. The smirk returned on her face, and she parted her lips to answer.



"The great Naraku. . .is afraid of the filly of a girl---he was afraid of Kagome." Kikyo started slowly, smiling wider when she saw Inuyasha tense at the name of the miko. "Actually, it was more of her spirit and fire that he feared. You see, as long as she held that light of hope in her soul, she would be the biggest threat to him. But. . .what if that light were to go out?" She continued, stepping closer to the hanyou as his eyes glittered with various emotions of guilt.



"Two birds with one stone. . ." Was all she whispered into his ear. And in that one moment, Inuyasha remembered the empty, and lost look that Kagome left him with, and it dawned on him that. . .Naraku had won.



"Kagome. . ." His eyes widened. Suddenly, he felt Kikyo's hands grab his hoari tightly, and as his eyes locked with hers, he saw deep anger, satisfaction, and vengeance flash across her irises all at once.



"FORGET ABOUT HER!" She screamed. "You're coming with ME to HELL!" With that the hellhole flashed once more, and she dragged him violently down with her. Inuyasha struggled against her grip. All the while he could only think of one thing: 'Kagome.'



He had to see her again, tell her he was sorry, hold her in his arms and make things right again. And. . .he didn't know what else to do if he could ever see Kagome again. But he knew he would NOT go with Kikyo.



"NO I'M NOT!" Calling every bit of his strength, he pulled away from her, leaving her sitting in the deep hole that her portal created. The light died down once more, and she sent him a heated glare.



"So, you shall break your promise to me as well." She breathed. Inuyasha's eyes flickered with resolve.



"No, I had promised Kikyo that I would protect her and stay by her side," He began, "But she died long ago. . ." Looking at her straight in the eye, his golden orbs hardened. "You're not the Kikyo I fell in love with. I'm never going with you to hell. I'm sorry."



Her hands balled into fists, digging into the soil beneath her. Her frame shook as she slowly stood up, malice shining within her eyes. He stood his ground, staring with torn emotion at her.



When Kikyo finally lifted her head to lock brown to amber, his eyes widened when he saw a lone tear slip from her orbs.



"I see. You would leave me as well, Inuyasha." She said softly, almost sorrowfully. Although the guilt continued to eat him alive, he had made his decision. He would not be wavered by her tears. "Very well then. If I cannot have you in the next world. . ."



Soul stealers whistled past him as he watched them wrap themselves around their mistress's form. Within moments, she was airborne, staring blankly down at him in hatred or in sorrow he wasn't sure.



"Goodbye for now, Inuyasha," Her voice echoed into the night, and as he stared off into the moonlight, Inuyasha let the tears fall from his eyes as well. Emotion overwhelmed him as he fell to his knees, using Tetsusaiga as support.



"Kagome. . ." He cried softly, her name tasting sweet on his lips. He had failed her, he was responsible for her lost hope. He alone was at fault. Not Kikyo. Not Naraku. The tears continued to come, but he didn't bother to wipe them away. Why bother? No one was there to see him. And now, he felt like he had lost everything dear to him as his soul tore inside.



It was too late to ask for forgiveness. And he cursed God and himself for not realizing it earlier. But now, he truly could see. It was Kagome that he loved all along. Kagome who loved him for who he was inside---not even Kikyo loved him like that. She had wanted him to change. But Kagome. . .



"What've I done?" He whispered. "KAGOME!" Inuyasha howled in sorrow into the starlit night. His soul would not find peace



She felt a lurch of disappointment somewhere in the pit of her stomach when she saw Kouga descend from the clouds. It was then that she was beginning to feel the chill of the night, and snuggled a little closer into his warmth. A soft purring could be heard, causing her to smile.



Shippo had fallen asleep beside her, and as Kagome ruffled his red hair, he muttered something about chocolate in his sleep. Kagome let out a content sigh, and even though she knew it was foolhardy, she secretly hoped it would go on.



Though the twinge of hurt still remained in her chest, she was glad at the moment that her feeling of freedom was still there to comfort her. Absently stroking Kouga's fur, her mind wandered briefly to the half-demon that she left behind.



'Inuyasha. . .' she thought with a familiar ache. In the end. . .he had chosen Kikyo. Kagome knew she shouldn't be surprised, afterall, she had always known that she was second choice. But like the fool she was, she had even dared to hope---to believe that maybe, just maybe, Inuyasha would change his mind. That those memories and experiences they had together would be enough to make him see that the two of them could be so much more.



She sighed. Kagome knew she was partly to blame for her misery. She had let herself fall in love with Inuyasha in the first place. And she knew from the beginning that it wasn't meant to be. On top of that she knew it would hurt. . . 'I just never thought it would hurt this much.'



"Inevitable." That was the thought that came into her head. It was going to happen sooner or later. Once again her vision became blurry, and the tears burned her eyes. Closing her sapphire pools tightly, she let them fall one by one onto Kouga's fur.



Kouga stiffened when he felt her tears absorb into his chocolate fur. He purred comfortingly to her, in hopes that she would be soothed. 'She is thinking of HIM again.' He thought bitterly. Truly, Inuyasha deserved to be dragged into hell with that bitch. It was a sin, to cause such a pure and beautiful creature as Kagome pain. It was a sin to make her spill even one drop of tear from her sapphire irises.



"Kouga. . ." He was brought out of his bitter thoughts at the sound of her melodic voice. Letting out a soft growl, he let her know that he was listening. "Where are you taking me, anyway?" She asked, trying to sound cheerful. He only gave her a backward glance, before nodding his head to the scene before them. Kouga felt her move slightly on his back in order to get a better view, and heard her gasp.



"It's beautiful. . ." she admired. They were approaching his castle, and Kagome felt a sense of awe come over her upon seeing it. Sure she had seen a Feudal Japanese castle before, but Kouga's was breathtaking. "So this is where you live. Figures." She nearly scoffed her playfulness. He smiled inwardly, somewhat proud of his home.

The castle was built into a rocky cliff. Many caves surrounded the stone castle. A large waterfall flowed over the edge of the cliff, near the east wing of the castle. It was truly amazing.



He slowly descended into the castle gardens, and Kagome looked on with admiration as the petals of the flowers flew up all around them as he landed. The floral scent tickled at Shippo's nose, causing him to sneeze.



"Uh. . .are we there yet?" He muttered sleepily, and Kagome giggled softly at the little kitsune.



"I think so, are we, Kouga?" Kouga nodded, kneeling for them to get off. Kagome hugged Shippo to her body, and when her feet touched the ground, she saw a flash and a gust of wind whirl behind her. Turning around, she saw the demon prince of the Northern Lands standing where the giant chocolate brown wolf used to be. Smiling warmly, she approached him, letting go of Shippo at the same time as he was struggling out of her grasp to explore the gardens.



"I don't know how to thank you," Kagome looked at him with grateful eyes, but he could still see that they were still tainted with sorrow. He frowned, lifting a clawed finger to caress her flushed cheeks and trace the tearstains still visible on her skin. His eyes grew soft with hidden affection, and he had to resist the urge to kiss her slightly parted pink lips.



"You can start by giving my a real smile, not those fake ones." He answered stoically, though it was gentler than usual. "You don't have to pretend with me, Kagome." Her smile faltered at this, and she lowered her gaze from his. Kouga feared for a moment that he had said something wrong, and carefully removed his hand from her cheek. But before he could withdraw completely, Kagome grasped his hand in hers, gazing apologetically into his ice blue depths.



"Sorry, Kouga. But I don't know if I will be able to do that. It might be a while until I can give you a real smile. . ." She said sadly. Looking away. "But right now. . .it hurts." Kagome's grip on his hand tightened as she felt the pang of sorrow in her heart again.



She found herself staring into his eyes once more when he placed a hooked finger and forced her to look at him. She almost gasped when she saw his face in the moonlight---beautiful. But it was not cold as she had always remembered, but almost kind, with his eyes flickering various emotions that she had never thought him to have. She nearly blushed, and did when she heard what he said next to her.



"This Kouga can wait." He answered softly. 'Because it'll be worth it,' he thought to himself, and let a little smile of his own curve on his lips when he saw her cheeks blush a pretty pink. Oh how he loved it when he was the cause of that cherry shade on her skin.



"Hey, are you two done?" Both of them turned their heads over to the little kitsune. Kagome laughed when she saw him covered in flower wreathes, necklaces, and other floral clothing.



"Shippo! Wow, that's some outfit!" He pouted at her, but smiled boyishly as he ran into her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< br />
"Read this one, Kagome!" Shippo insisted, holding out a red, leather bound book. Nodding, Kagome took it from the little kit's hand, and settled down on the fur to start her storytelling. Shippo pounced into her lap happily, and snuggled into her warmth. She spotted Kouga nearby, standing out into the balcony. Even though he was staring out at the moon, she could tell that he was listening intently to them.



It gave her the impression that he was like her guardian angel. 'He's always watching out for me,' She thought. 'He used to do that too,' She thought regrettably. Shaking out of her thoughts she scrunched her nose. She was here to forget about Inuyasha, and it wasn't right to compare Kouga to him. 'Besides, the way Kouga watches over me is. . .different.'



"Momma?" She blinked, looking down at the child who stared at her questioningly. "When is the story gonna start?" Shippo asked. Kagome shook her head, and gingerly opened the book.



"It'll start. . . 'Once upon a time. . .'" From the balcony, Kouga watched from the corner of his eye as Kagome read to the young kit. Her voice flowed over the story like a song, and he closed his eyes, basking in the melodic ring in his ears.

His eyes softened as he watched Kagome's hand gently stroke the young kit's hair, and it dawned on him that she looked like a mother soothing her child. And this lead to the mental picture that he had so often pictured in his mind of his family. The moment was intangible, and he could not help but smile.



'This is the way it should be,' He thought. And as Shippo lazily drifted into sleep, she looked up from the book to smile warmly at him. Kouga could only stare back with ice blue orbs. 'Except she still continues to give me that heartbreakingly sad smile.'



The morning air was crisp, and slightly chilling in the golden and pink haze. The long night was finally over, and yet the silver haired-hanyou has yet to be seen. And the young heartbroken miko. . .disappeared over the moonlit horizon riding the ivory dog of a taiyoukai. In this time of torrent misery and uncertainty, Kaede wondered vaguely if things were truly alright.



Her old, and tired hands grasped firmly onto the bucket as water filled its' depths. A shaky sigh passed her lips when she lifted it, the droplets of liquid sliding from the wooden frame. 'Inuyasha. . .' the aged woman thought worriedly. 'What are ye up to?'



As if on cue, a looming shadow of a hanyou leapt over her. Kaede stood from her sitting position, and watched with patiently as Inuyasha made a graceful landing. A look of deep sadness and regret clouded over his amber orbs, causing her to furrow her eyebrows in concern.



"Inuyasha, where have ye been?" She inquired sternly, but not sharply. His gaze did not meet hers, and eyes remained downcast as he stood there in silent suffering. Almost heavily, his legs moved him closer to the old woman. Soon, he was in front of her, not saying a word.



He did nothing but stare sadly at her, and after several moments, he continued past Kaede, and towards the hut. The old woman looked solemnly at his retreating form. When he had gazed at her that moment, she saw such grief, such torn sadness and suffering flicker across his orbs. Her soul cried out towards the hanyou. 'What could've happened to have caused his heart to have shattered so?'



Walking in a dazed manner, Inuyasha kept his eyes on his feet. All thoughts were vacant from his mind---all except the thought of Kagome. How his heart wrenched when he thought of his miko from the future. Would she be there? Amber depths lifted to the hut just yards up ahead.



'Will she be waiting for me inside?' He wondered. A deep longing echoed inside of him, and basking in his fool's wish, hope welled inside of him that she was. That Kagome would be sitting there, waiting for him when he entered. That she would be smiling her warm smile---the smile that he had learned to cherish, to love so much.



She would be there, teasing him and laughing among the others; Sango, Miroku, Shippo. . .all would be as it were. And he would have a second chance at her forgiveness. Inuyasha did not know what was running through his mind, but all of a sudden, he believed it with all of his heart. He ached to hold her; just doing so would assure him that everything was alright. Just maybe. . .



He was running towards the hut now, so caught up in his mental vision of her accepting arms that he could not bear a moment longer to make the vision come true.



"KAGOME!" But when he burst through the straw-woven door, expecting to see her smiling face there. . .he was only met with surprised looks from all but her. She was not there. His hopes fell, and his heart felt it's shattered pieces once more. Disappointment filled him, and he turned his hurt gaze away from his friends.



"Inuyasha. . ." Miroku started, "You're finally back. . ." He said nothing, but entered anyway, sitting down soundlessly next to Kirara, who pounced in his lap. The monk and taiji looked worriedly at one another before averting their attention back to their hanyou friend.



"What happened? You didn't come back with Kagome," Sango prodded gently. She noticed that Inuyasha flinched visibly upon hearing her name, but in a moment's time, stilled again. Miroku was becoming impatient with the silent treatment, and gripped the hanyou's shoulders tightly.



"Inuyasha! Please, we need to know! What transpired between you and Kagome. . ." A deep anger welled inside of him, and pushing the houshi back, he stood up and glared at them. He needed to be alone, and he couldn't possibly face them now. His fists clenched tightly and he felt like pulling his hair out.



"None o' your business!" He shouted at them, and he stormed furiously outside. Miroku was back on his feet in an instant and ran out after him.



"What did you do to cause Kagome such pain?" He said sternly, and this surely caught the hanyou's attention. Again, the feeling of pain and misery consumed him, and the words echoed over and over again in his head. 'I caused Kagome pain. . .' How many times does that make it now? And did he really deserve her forgiveness this time? Glancing back at Miroku, with Sango just by his side, waiting patiently for an answer, Inuyasha was at a loss of words.



'What can I say?' He thought miserably. What COULD he say? That he had left Kagome to die? For someone who wasn't even living? For Kikyo? His eyes burned with frustration. That he was the one that had betrayed her trust, left her for dead---literally?! It was all too much for him, and the guilt and sorrow ate at his shattered soul. There was only one thing he could say.



"I screwed up. . ." He whispered.



"What?"



"I SCREWED UP, OKAY?!" He shouted angrily at them, unable to keep his rage and frustration bottled up any longer. "Kagome. . ." He started. His friends approached him cautiously, hoping to comfort the half-demon.



"What do you mean?" Sango asked him worriedly, but once again, he had fallen silent. After a while, his shaking form relaxed, and he looked solemnly at them.



"Where is Kagome?" Silence. He was only answered with deafening silence, and he sent them a glaring look when all they did was look nervously at each other. "Where is she?" He repeated, this time a little harsher. Finally, Miroku spoke up.



"Kouga," Inuyasha stiffened. "Kagome is with Kouga."



"And you didn't stop her?" He asked him rather angrily, sending accusing looks over at them. Why would they let her go with the demon prince? But Miroku did not shrink from his heated gaze, and stepped forward.



"Yes, it was Kagome's decision." At hearing this, Inuyasha looked away, his bubbling anger rising, and he looked to the blue sky. A mental picture of the giant brown wolf form of the wolf prince carring his Kagome away, and the look of disappointment that flashed through Kouga's eyes. The wolf prince cared for her. . .he realized. If he hadn't, he would not have saved her when he himself had left her.



And now, he feared that it was Kouga that she was turning to for comfort. Kouga who would make her forget. . .would she really forget about him? She loved him didn't she? 'But there's a fine line between love and hate. . .' a voice in his head echoed. Inuyasha hoped that in Kagome's eyes, he had not crossed said line.



"Will you go after her?" He heard Miroku ask him. The question rang in his head. He honestly didn't know, but he knew there was no way he could face her now. What good would it do anyway? A part of him told him that Kagome was probably too far beyond his reach to even listen.



His fists unclenched and fell limply to his sides, and eyes softening, he gave out a shaky and tired sigh. Did he really do it this time? What Kikyo had told him. . .did he really break her spirit? Glancing back at them, he said nothing, only shaking his head mournfully as he leapt off into the direction of the forest.



Sango made a move to follow after him, but was stopped when Miroku placed a firm hand on her shoulder. She gave him a questioning look, and he only shook his head at her.



"He will tell us when he's ready. But right now, I think Inuyasha needs some time alone," He advised.



Atop the Goshinboku tree, Inuyasha gazed longingly up at the blue sky. Wondering idly to himself where Kagome was. Maybe she was looking up to the same sky, maybe she was thinking of him. . .Even more so, he wondered if Kouga was there with her, picking up the broken pieces of her heart. His own heart ached. If he would ever get to see her again. . . 'I won't let her go. . .' he vowed to himself, and to Kagome.



A dreamy haze was lifted from her eyes when she reluctantly opened her sapphire irises to the morning that greeted her. Blinking, she lay infinitely still on the soft futon, staring blankly up at the ceiling. Her soul, her heart, felt so very heavy. So much so that she felt it would hurt to sit up. 'Inuyasha. . .' She thought with a melancholy ache.



She had dreamt of the hanyou last night, and the memory caused tears to well in her orbs once more. It was the very moment when she had plummeted to her death and Inuyasha had called out for Kikyo. The dream, no. . .nightmare, plagued her restless soul, and shutting her eyes shut, she allowed two sorrowful tears burn a trail along the sides of her cheeks. It fell onto the pillow, and absorbed the fabric.



Kagome heard a soft mumble from her side, and she looked down to see Shippo sleeping soundly next to her. She smiled sadly, down at him and ruffled his red hair, and regretfully, she got up from the warmth of her futon. Groaning a bit, she averted her gaze to the direction of the shining rays. Birds were chirping from outside the window in the cherry blossom trees, and moving cautiously out of bed so as to not wake the little kitsune, she went to examine them a bit closer.



Sliding the window open, Kagome was caressed with the soft morning breeze, drying her tears from her fair skin. Inhaling the crisp air, she gave out a relaxed sigh. At least being here. . .soothed her soul, if only a little. A part of her was glad that she had come here, and Kagome silently thanked Kouga for that.



"Kouga. . ." She whispered into the morning wind. He confused her so much. Kagome never suspected a demon who had tried to kill her upon first impression could be so sweet and caring underneath. Was he always like this? Or perhaps he had changed somehow, into the gentle demon prince she had grown so fond of.



'Fond?' Yes, she admitted she had grown rather close to him. Despite his cold attitude towards the whole world and to her at first, she knew him to be a better person than he would ever let on. A small smile curved her delicate lips. He was like a child in a way. . .who was afraid of something new. Afraid of emotions to be more precise.



It was endearing, she thought. Stepping away from the window, she walked across the room and towards the door. Already Kouga had done so much for her, and Kagome couldn't think for the life of her how she'd ever thank him. Placing a small hand on the shoji door, she leaned so that her forehead touched its' surface. Kouga made her feel. . .different. . .in a way. . .But in what way she wasn't exactly sure.



Deciding to put thoughts of the enigmatic demon prince away for a rainy day, she quietly slid the door opened and glanced from side to side in the hallway. It was empty. 'Well, it is pretty early. . .' And taking one last look over her shoulder at the little fox that still slept upon the futon, she left the room, and tiptoed down the halls in the direction of the library. 'There's nothing wrong with getting some light reading done in the morning. . .' Just to get her mind off of things.



Kagome had finally reached the library, and a childish gleam flickered across her orbs. She loved books, save for the math book, but how she loved them so! It was her way of escaping reality, and the troubles of her life. Perhaps that was why she liked the Feudal Era so much. It was like living her very own fantasy, and Kagome being the romantic that she was, found herself helplessly drawn into these kind of things. Although, after what had transpired the day before, she inwardly admitted that a small piece of her wanted out of this tragic fairy tale.



Shaking her head of her saddening thoughts, she resumed her search of a good book. Kagome would've read more yesterday, if the Shipppo hadn't forced her to read books that HE wanted. She didn't mind though, and was just glad that she got time to herself before anyone else awoke. She prayed to the gods that Kouga wasn't going to get mad at her for being in here so early.



`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Midnight black hair swayed from side to side as he took graceful steps towards the miko's room. Kouga closed his ice blue eyes when came nearer to her room, inhaling her sweet scent as if it was a habit when it wafted into his nose. He hoped that Kagome was feeling better than yesterday, and that some of her pain had resided a bit.



The wolf prince released a sigh when a bit of salt was caught in her scent. 'She has been crying again. . .' He thought with bittersweet sadness. How much longer, he wondered, until she can let go of Inuyasha's memory? A deep voice from within him told him that perhaps Kagome would never let go, but he hoped against hope that she would move on. . . 'Into my arms,' he thought selfishly.



Kouga wanted so badly to just confess to her how he really felt for the fiery maiden. His soul felt like bursting ever since his self- admission, but even now he refrained. She was still in pain over what Inuyasha's decision had been, and being the honorable demon prince that he was, he didn't want to make it seem like he was taking advantage of her time of weakness. Now, when her emotions could be so easily swayed, and he also feared that if he admitted his love to her, he would only succeed in driving her away.



Tortured emotions swirled within him and although his face remained impassive, he felt torn inside. 'Kagome,' His heart ached. 'Can you and I ever. . .' He wondered, and stopping in front of her room his clawed hand smoothed up and down the panel of the door. Slipping his emotionless mask on once more, he slid the door open and stepped into Kagome's room.



"Kagome?" Kouga peered into the room, his golden orbs sweeping the room, only to find it empty. His eyes fell onto the vacant futon, save for the little kitsune pup who still lay slumbering in the warmth of the blankets. Sliding the shoji door shut, he furrowed his eyebrows together in worry. 'Where could she be?'



His nose caught her sakura blossom scent lingering in the hallway, and he let out a sigh of relief. At least she had not run away from him, as that thought had crossed his mind when he saw the window in her room to be open. Following her intoxicating scent, Kouga's feet lead him to the elaborate shoji doors of the library. A barely noticeable smile tugged at his lips.



Kagome's love for literature truly amazed him. Perhaps this was the reason why she had such an imaginative and creative mind. Drawing in a deep breath, he opened the door, almost anxious to see the maiden that held his heart on the other side.



When the library room was finally revealed to him, he saw Kagome standing in the center of the room, deep in thought. Soundlessly, he approached her, smiling softly at her still form.



"I see you are already awake," He greeted smoothly, causing her to jump at the sound of his velvety voice. She turned to meet his gaze, her sapphire eyes sparkling.

"Come, Kagome," He said, his emotionless voice calling out to her. "You must be hungry." Kagome nodded, and yawned. With that, he took the book gently from her and placed it back onto the shelf. Still holding her hand, Kouga guided her out of the library. As they walked down the hall in silence, Kagome couldn't help but steal momentary glances over at the demon prince.



She had a feeling he was hiding something, but she also had a feeling that he was not ready to let her know just yet. It was his way of telling her to drop the subject. Sighing, Kagome tried her best to smile warmly up at him, and laced her fingers with his own.



Kouga glanced down at her in mild surprise, and felt himself grow warm when she smiled at him. Though he sensed it to still be sad, there was more sincerity in this one.



"So, what's on the agenda today?" She joked. He looked thoughtful for a moment, then decided to answer her.



"Training." Kagome's joking air vanished, and she stared dumbly at him.



"Uh. . ."



Kouga looked amusedly down at her as she became at a loss of words.



"I believe it would be best if I gave you a few lessons in self defense. I suspect you will not be wanting to depend on. . .Inuyasha as much," He said carefully, looking quickly at her eyes to see if he had caused any old wounds to reopen.



However, her eyes were downcast, and he stiffened for a moment. Finally, she lifted her eyes, and gave him a cheerful smile.



"You're right! Thanks, that's a great idea!" Kouga relaxed, and his grip on her hand tightened. Averting his gaze forward he added gently,



"Just know that I will still be here to protect you," Kagome looked at him in shock, only to see that he had avoided her gaze by keeping his eyes glued straight ahead. Warmth filled her being, and she blushed at his words, confused at the new feeling that he seemingly invoked upon her more often. It made no sense, it was different than the warmth that filled her when with Inuyasha. Either way, Kagome was unable to stop it.



"T-thanks, K-kouga," She muttered. "I'm. . .I'm glad."



Naraku waited patiently as the silver light of soul stealers streaked overhead. A sickening smile curved his lips, and crimson eyes followed the form of the undead miko as she landed into his courtyard. He had been waiting for her, he knew she would return.



"Kikyo. . ." Naraku cooed, earning a glare from the maiden as he did so. "Back so soon? I thought you were going to take Inuyasha into hell. .. ." He watched as Kikyo closed her eyes to hide the anger that burned underneath, and the betrayal that seethed from her being.



"There has been a change in plans," She answered, stepping closer to him. "It seems I will remain here with you afteall, Naraku," He smiled at her, and took her into his arms, pressing his lips against hers in a supposedly comforting manner. And she returned it. Naraku smirked against her lips.



Yes, everything had gone exactly how he had planned. Inuyasha had fallen for his trap just as he had intended, and he was almost certain that the miko's spirit was indeed broken, and far beyond healing now. As for Kikyo. . .he had known from the beginning that the hanyou would not follow Kikyo into hell. Despite how much they might try to the fool themselves, both Kikyo and Inuyasha knew that he loved Kagome. That alone would keep him bound to life.



Naraku parted from Kikyo and lead her inside his bedchambers. Did she really believe that he would let her go with Inuyasha so easily? Right after he had claimed her as his mate? She was his, and no one else's and with Inuyasha's "betrayal," Kikyo now belonged to him. ALL of Kikyo.



The hanyou draped an arm around her waist. How fortune had smiled upon him as of late. And as he continued to bask in his gloating, Kikyo glared at him from the corner of her eye, a malevolent smile tainting her lips.



'Naraku, you fool. . .'



The sun hung high in the sky, casting off brilliant rays in every direction. The sakura trees swayed lazily with the warm, afternoon breeze, scattering its' blossoms to the wind.

"Better, but your form is still off," Kouga said gently, watching Kagome as she struggled with the sword. He thought it endearing when she growled out her frustration, releasing a hand's hold on her sword to ruffle her hair in confusion.



"This is hard. . ." She mumbled. "That's why I leave the fighting to Inuyasha and the others. . ." Kagome glanced over at the demon prince, who was staring at her impassively. She gave him an innocent smile, a hopeful gleam glittered in her irises, "Um. . .how about we take a break? We've been doing this since breakfast.."



Kouga shook his head slightly in amusement, never taking his eyes off of hers. She sighed.



"Thought not," And she turned back to her hands, gripping the sword with both of them. Just when she was about to lift it, she felt strong arms wrap around her form. The breath left from Kagome's lungs as she felt hands snake down to her arms, and covered her hands still grasped onto the sword.



The next thing she knew, she was being pulled against a firm built chest, and she shuddered when she felt warm breaths on her ear.



"Place your hands like this. . ." Kouga's velvety smooth voice said softly to her, causing her to blush. Kagome's sapphire eyes locked onto his hands as they moved hers to the right position on the handle. "Make sure that the grip that you have on your weapon is firm, so as not to have it easily knocked out from you hands."



"O-Okay," Kagome nodded, her heart seemingly beating right out of her chest when she felt his fingers tighten over hers. It may have been her imagination, but she thought she could feel Kouga's heartbeat increase as well in his chest. It was pressed against her back, which made her feel each passing rhythm of his beating heart against her back.



She glanced up at the wolf prince, who kept his face void of all emotion still. He was so near. . .his face was right next to hers, she blushed. Turning back to her hands, she shook the feeling off. 'I'm just imagining it. . .' And why was she blushing so much anyway? He was just teaching her how to work a sword properly!



Kouga watched his little miko out of the corner of his eye. How incredibly difficult it was not to just kiss her breathless right then and there! And now that he had her in his arms, hands clasped tightly over hers, and the feel of her body against his own. .



Gods, was he TRYING to torture himself? Kouga instinctively leaned in and buried his nose into her hair, feeling her stiffen at the contact and hearing her heart beat at a million miles per hour. He breathed in her luxurious scent, and sighed with contentment. 'I'll never get enough of that. . .'



"Um. . ." His golden eyes blinked open, returning to reality at the sound of her nervous voice. "Are you alright?" Kagome asked meekly. She saw him withdraw from her hair, and straighten himself seriously again.



"Now for your stance," He said, his usual cool voice spoke as if his momentary interest in her scent hadn't happened. Kagome swallowed. Her breathing slowed and she nodded.

Kouga inwardly smiled when he felt her relax in his arms once more. Looking over at her current stand, he shook his head. Kagome looked at him curiously, and he stared with soft, golden eyes at her. She was so trusting. . .and she trusted him. It was an unexplainable feeling knowing this fact.



"Your feet must be farther apart," He instructed, "If you stand casually as you are, you will be an easy target," Kagome nodded and complied.



"Like this?" He shook his head lightly and she shrugged in confusion. A small smile tugged at his lips. His hand left hers, traveling down to her legs to guide her feet. Kagome stiffened under his touch again, and he stopped momentarily. After a while, he moved his clawed hands down to her knees, nudging her slightly to move her in the correct defensive stance.

They seemingly froze like that, and the demon prince never before felt so extremely nervous as he listened to Kagome's breath hitch in her throat.



He willed his hand to move away, but it remained. He cursed his luck when his eyes caught sight of her kimono. He felt like it was mocking him. 'I shouldn't be doing this. . .' he thought. Deep in the pit of his stomach, he knew that this went far beyond some training lesson. . .it reached deep within his primal instincts, the urge to claim her.



Kagome couldn't move herself. Her skin felt like it was on fire at even the slightest touch of his smooth hands. 'He's only showing me the correct stance,' she reminded herself. But when his hand reached her thigh, just inches from the middle of her kimono, Kagome felt a sudden rush of heat go through her.



'Kagome. . .what is he doing?' An unknown feeling engulfed her, as she felt the hand that was still grasped onto hers on the sword handle moved to wrap around her torso. The sword fell with a clang onto the dojo floor, and her sapphire eyes closed when he held her closer into his embrace.



He could smell her intoxicating scent spike, and all thoughts scattered to the winds. Kouga held onto her small frame close to himself as if she was a lifeline, his hand rubbing up and down her thigh.



Kagome let a barely audible moan escape her lips, her own hands grasping his around her waist. The miko felt that it was wrong. . .but at the same time, she never felt anything so right. It felt right being in his embrace, and perhaps he was just acting on lust. . .but something in the way he touched her. . .told her it went deeper than just lust.



'Why is it that only Kouga. . .?' Kagome closed her eyes, letting her conflicting thoughts slip and enjoying his touch.



"Kagome. . ." He whispered huskily into her ear, and his face came down to nuzzle the crook of her neck. Gently, he placed a longing kiss on the skin where the mating mark for demons should be. Blue eyes darkened, he kissed it again.



"Kouga. . .I don't think. . ." Kagome breathed, trying to come back to the real world, but finding extremely difficult. It was then that she heard the footsteps of Shippo coming down the hallway, and if SHE could hear it, she was pretty sure Kouga could as well. Despite this, he continued to kiss her soft skin.



"Kouga," She said a little more sternly. The demon prince's eyes opened instantly, and seemingly flickering in realization, his lips left her neck. 'What happened?' Kouga's eyes widened momentarily as he gazed at the red mark on her skin. 'Did I almost. . .?'



Kagome almost whimpered at the loss of his warmth when he slowly withdrew from her, his hands immediately returning to his sides. The mesmerizing moment had vanished, and now Kagome wrapped her arms around herself, blushing and looking away.



Kouga avoided her gaze as well.



"Kouga! Kagome!" Shippo popped his head through the dojo door.He smiled toothily at them and ran inside.



"What is it Shippo?" Kagome smiled, catching Shippo as he jumped into her embrace.



"I was just wondering when lunch is going to be! I'm starving!" The little kitsune exclaimed, pointing at his stomach to prove his point. Kagome giggled, and ruffled his hair. She nervously glanced over at Kouga.



"NOW, can we take a break?" She asked him, trying to sound as if nothing had happened. He nodded slowly, still not looking at her. Shippo remained in Kagome's arms.



She tensed he sniffed her clothes a bit, then looked up at her with curious eyes.



"Momma, why is Kouga's scent all over you?" He asked innocently. She tensed at his words, and from the corner of her eye, she could tell Kouga tensed as well. Shippo grinned. "Were you playing tag too? And he tackled you?"



Kagome laughed weakly, and pictured herself wiping imaginary sweat off of her eyebrow.



"Um, yeah. . .something like that!" He giggled, satisfied with the answer and pounced off. But before he left the room, he glanced back at the demon prince and miko, giving them a small knowing smile.



Once he had left, Kagome let out a relieved sigh. It was silent in the dojo, and it was starting to get to her. She glanced nervously over at the demon prince.



Kouga dared not look at her. Guilt tore him inside. He had almost marked her as his mate. . .if he had sunk his fangs into the junction of her neck. . .The wolf prince clenched his fists in frustration. He had let his control slip once more, and if he had not stopped, he would've done something that he would've regretted. But more heart-wrenching was, something Kagome would've regretted.



But he could not get the taste of her out of his senses, and it drove him wild knowing that she had responded to him. And yet. . .he felt dishonorable, and dirty. He felt like he was taking advantage of her in her time of weakness, and she only responded because she unconsciously wanted attention. . .at least that's how he saw it. He was the only one here to give her comfort. . .



No, he wanted Kagome to come to him BECAUSE she loved him. But. . .perhaps that day will never come, and this is the only way that he could. . .



Kagome stared at him with confused sapphire depths. What just happened back there? The way he held her, touched her. . .was it all just her imagination? And why was it that when he did, she felt so complete? So warm, and happy? A deep want had echoed in her soul, and all of a sudden, Kouga was beginning to fill it.



'It's not just lust. . .' She thought to herself. 'I want. . .' Kagome's thoughts trailed off. What did she want? She was so unsure now, so lost. It was strange. . .how she didn't think of Inuyasha once during the whole thing. All she COULD think about was HIM. And it was strange how it no longer hurt as much when his name resounded in her head. . .just a little ache, but nothing more.



Strange. . .she stepped a bit closer to him, a trembling hand came up to touch him lightly on his shoulder. He turned his head slowly to glance at her. She nearly gasped when she saw his molten gaze. So much conflict and confusion, so much longing when Kagome looked into them. Strange. . .she still thought, but yet at the same time. . .not all that strange at all. In fact, it was almost. . .natural to feel this way.



Kagome was brought out of her thoughts when Kouga's smooth, velvety voice broke the awkward silence.



"Forgive me," He said, causing her to look at him confusedly. He approached her slowly, until he was a mere foot away from her. Ice blue met Sapphire for several moments, and Kagome felt him place a hooked finger under her chin. His hand slowly moved up to her cheek, and he caressed it tenderly.



Leaning in, she never broke their gaze, watching with soft eyes at the demon prince who looked at her with silent yearning. 'I don't understand this. . .' She thought to herself. When Kouga removed his caressing fingers, and walked past her to the door, it was all she could do to stare after him. 'Kouga.'



'Kouga. . .' He had apologized to her for it. Did he regret it? Because, well, she felt extremely guilty about it, for she SHOULD still be hung up about Inuyasha, but she didn't regret it. Why was she feeling this way? And why was Kouga acting this way as well?



She had never noticed it before, but he was being so tender with her. It showed in the way he spoke to her, his voice, although still emotionless, was softer, gentler. He looked at her with more emotional eyes than she had ever thought him to have, and when he touched her, it was with the utmost fondness. And then there was the. . .tension between them.



There was no use denying it, because there was. And it left her confused and dazed. What she felt. . .was it real? This feeling of completeness and bliss when she was with him. . .was it possible to be feeling this way for the demon prince? She wasn't sure. Kagome certainly didn't expect it, especially not so soon after her heartbreak with Inuyasha.



But then, here she was, feeling these new emotions and for Kouga to boot. How she would blush and her stomach would flutter. . .how even the sound of her voice would make her feel more safe than anything. . .it wasn't like this with Inuyasha. And she shouldn't compare this to it either. This was Kouga.



A part of her told her that this wasn't real afterall. She was just hurting because of Inuyasha's decision, and just sought comfort in his hated rivle. If this was indeed so, and Kagome's heart tore at the possibility, then it wasn't fair to Kouga.



'Fair in what?' A voice said in her mind. It's not like he saw her anything more than a friend right? But. . .that hurt too. For some reason, she didn't want to believe that all that had transpired between them. . .the intangible sweetness of having his lips on her skin. . .was all just some game between friends. For some reason she wanted. . . 'To be more than friends.'



She shook her head out of her thoughts and smiled weakly to herself. Who was she fooling? What was she trying to do? Did she want her heart broken again? And so soon? What if. . .a thought clicked in her mind. What if. . .



But she never finished her thought, for Shippo had dragged her to his desired destination.



"Can Kagome tuck Shippo in?" Shippo asked sweetly. Kagome smiled and nodded, she tucked in the sleep kit and combed his hair with her slender fingers

"Hey. Before, when I had a mom, she would always comb my hair! Just like Kagome," He said wistfully. Shippo sighed, remembering his mother, and buried his nose into Kagome's kimono.



The older girl smiled sadly down at him. He was orphaned at such a young age. She didn't know if she'd ever stay that strong without her mother. 'Inuyasha and Kouga are the same way too,' She thought. They both lost their parents when they were young.



Kagome held him closer to her.



"What else did your mother do?" She whispered gently. Shippo furrowed his eyebrows together, trying to remember.



"Mother used to sing me to sleep," He said happily. Kagome giggled.



"Do you want me to sing to you?"Shippo nodded and she stroked his hair in a soothing manner as he leaned into her. Finally, Kagome's lips parted and a soft melody floated into the night air.



~I was stained, by a role,



in a day not my own~



Kouga stood in his room on the balcony, overlooking the Western Lands. Even the cool breeze did not calm his restless soul. His soul that cried, ached and yearned for Kagome.



~But as you walked into my life



you showed what needed to be shown~



He looked down at his hands, the very hands that so dared to touch the pure creature that she was. He was a demon, his claws had been soaked in blood. Blood that will not fade no matter how many times washed. He was stained, his soul once tainted in his need for power and vengeance.



~I always knew, what was right



I just didn't know that I might~



But ever since that day when Kagome had shed some light of kindness and nurtured him back to health, something changed within him. He no longer saw the point in his old grudges, no longer sought his petty desires to kill Inuyasha. His being no longer seethed with hatred for humanity, and in fact, a bit of humanity had grown in himself. For only then could he have fallen, fallen for Kagome. She had purified him in a way. . .purified his soul, so that he was unclouded by his hate.



~Peel away and choose to see



With such a different sight~



Kagome had taught him love, and yet he felt tortured in knowing that what little point of knowing this feeling when he was unable to hold her in his arms. To claim her as his. . .afterall, she was a pure, kind-hearted miko. He was a demon. This fact can never be changed. Still, when she had looked at him today, the way she said his name with such warmth. . .he couldn't help but feel, just a tiny bit of hope.



~And I will never see the sky the same way,



and I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday



and I will never cease to fly if held down,



and I will always reach too high, cause I've seen,



cause I've seen, twilight~



That was when he heard it. The sound of a soft, enchanting melody floating throughout the castle. The voice was seductive, powerful, and yet soft at the same time. Kouga closed his eyes, listening to the words, and after a while, his eyes opened as it stared towards the door leading to the hallway.



~never cared never wanted



never sought to see what flaunted~



His feet lead him down the hallway, the voice echoed off of the walls. 'So beautiful. . .'



~so on purpose so in my face



couldn't see beyond my own place~



As he got closer and closer, he caught the scent of sakura blossoms and jasmine wafting into his nose. He smiled to himself.



~It was so easy not to behold what I could hold



but as you taught me I could change



whatever came within these shallow days~



Kouga stopped in front of Kagome's room, inhaling deeply. She was on the other side, she was the one singing. Holding his breath, he slid open the shoji door.



~And I will never see the sky the same way,



and I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday



and I will never cease to fly if held down,



and I will always reach too high, cause I've seen,



cause I've seen, twilight~



His ice-blue eyes were met with the scene of Kagome laying on the bed with the young kit safely tucked in bed next to her. And as she stroked soothingly at his hair, her lips spilled out the beautiful words to her song. The light of the moon hit her face in all the right places, and he had to keep from gasping at the moonlit angel before him.



~As the sun shines through it pushes away



and pushes ahead~



Kagome looked up, and smiled warmly at him. Shippo was now fast asleep, but she still continued her song, running her fingers over his ruffled hair.



~It fills the warmth of blue



and leaves a chill instead and~



Kouga said nothing as her voice permeated to atmosphere. He leaned against the doorway, staring with complete awe at the girl, enjoying every second of the moment.



~I didn't know that I could be



so blind to all that is so real



but as illusion dies



I see there is so much to be revealed~



Kagome motioned for him to come in, and he hesitated for several moments before he did, gazing warmly down at her. These words, this song. . .he couldn't help but wonder. . .were they from her heart? It spoke so much truth, in such simple words. . .



~And I will never see the sky the same way,



and I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday



and I will never cease to fly if held down,



and I will always reach too high, cause I've seen,



cause I've seen, twilight~



She slowly moved away from the young fox kit, and Kouga gently helped lift Shippo's head so that Kagome could escape him. After she got up, she came over to the balcony, which was rimmed with wreathes of flowers. Kagome looked back at Kouga, tenderness evident in her eyes as if she realized something, and she continued with her song.



~I was stained, by a role,



in a day not my own



but as you walked into my life



you showed what needed to be shown~



He joined her on the balcony, and now they stood side-by-side staring up at the moon. He saw her move closer to him when the wind blew, and he readily welcomed her into his arms.



~I always knew, what was right



I just didn't know that I might



Peel away and choose to see



with such a different sight~



Kouga sighed in contentment, basking in the feel of her in his arms, her wondrous scent surrounding him, and her melodic voice enchanting him. Everything else melted away, and he didn't care about the internal conflicts that they both might have. He parted with her just a little, and looked at her affectionately. She returned the gaze with what he dared to even hope to have been equal affection.



"Kagome," He whispered to her softly, she said nothing, but snaked her arms around his torso, her fingers lifting to caress his cheek, and sliding down to touch his bottom lip. He closed his eyes, relishing in her touch.



~And I will never see the sky the same way,



and I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday



and I will never cease to fly if held down,



and I will always reach too high, cause I've seen,



cause I've seen, twilight~



As the last words of her song faded into nothingness, Kagome watched as the demon prince closed his eyes in bliss, and he was only aware of her fingers on his lips. She felt like she was in a trance herself, and a shiver ran down her spine when he kissed her fingertips.



Ice blue orbs opened to lock with her sapphire ones, and for a long while they stayed like that. Kagome felt her cheeks blush a deep shade of red, and not believing what she was about to do, she went on her tiptoes, her face leaning closer to his.



Kouga's breath caught in his throat, and he stared wide-eyed as she inched closer. His eyes slid shut once more, expecting to feel her lips on his at any moment---but instead he felt the brush of her lips against the skin of his cheek.



When he opened his eyes again, Kagome was no longer by his side. He looked towards the door, where he saw her standing with her back to him. He sighed, bringing a clawed hand to touch the spot where her kiss lingered. She glanced back at him with shy eyes and a cherry blush.



"Goodnight, Kouga," She whispered softly.



Sleep was elusive that night for both the wolf prince and the miko. Their thoughts would always wander to the other, and when sleep finally DID overcome them, they were only met with dreams haunted by the object of their obsessions. It was hopeless.



Kagome sat up in her futon, sapphire eyes half closed as she sighed out in frustration. It was no use. . .no matter how much she wanted to escape him she couldn't. He had gotten himself under her skin, and now all she could think about was him.



The miko remembered when she had nearly kissed him on the balcony. Kagome couldn't understand it. . . but at that moment, when it was just her and Kouga under the moonlight, something inside of her got so. . .it was difficult to describe. It was so new, but guiltily, Kagome admitted that she liked the feeling.



It happened so quickly, ice blue to sapphire, trance-like and tender in each other's gaze, she wanted so badly to see how his lips felt against her own. Before she knew it she was standing on her tiptoes and breathing on his skin. But before she could satisfy her curiosity, a voice had nagged in the back of her head, saying 'Too fast,' and her lips found his cheek instead.



Fingers tightened around her covers. 'Was it wrong to regret it. . .Just a little?'



Her eyes found themselves staring outside to the midnight scenery, the moon hanging in the still sky. A smile appeared on her face as she continued to gaze at it. The moon. . .it was silver and beautiful as it cast of it's haunting glow into the darkness. It seemed so far away, so mysterious in its' beauty. . .and yet so far out of reach. . .untouchable and almost forbidden. 'Just like Koga,' She thought with a deep blush.



How easily her cheeks would turn their rosy color at the thought of him. How easily her stomach fluttered like butterflies at the sight of him. How her skin would feel like they were set on fire and her thoughts would scatter at his touch. Kagome's cheeks turned an even darker shade of red, 'Bad, Kagome! Bad!'



She fell back against the futon, her orbs locked onto the ceiling. The voice had told her 'Too fast,' but now that she thought about it, was it really? After all that had happened between them. . .since she had first met Koga, Demon prince of the Northern lands---the cold, unfeeling, merciless demon prince to the now sweet, kind, and tender man. . .so much had changed. 'For the better?' But a part of her still felt loyal to Inuyasha. Even if he didn't love her, she couldn't forget that she loved HIM.



But every time she looked at Kouga. . .it was so easy to forget. Turning over to her side, Kagome slid her eyes shut again, this time forcing herself to sleep. Hoping that when morning comes, her soul would be soothed from her troubles.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The morning was strangely peaceful the following day. There was the usual chatter between Shippo and Kagome occasionally, but between herself and the wolf prince, not much was exchanged. Especially not the events of the other night, but they were still casually friendly with the other.



The demon prince still felt slightly ashamed for almost taking advantage of her during the training session, and silently vowed himself and to Kaogme, not to make any such advances on her without her consent. He would back off. . .



Kouga was glad that at least she would look at him instead of avoiding his gaze like dinner yesterday. And perhaps it was his imagination, but she flashed him more and more smiles lately, even if they were still a bit saddened, he could tell they were less based on her pain, and more on her uncertainty. He was sure he had to do with that uncertainty, but he also felt warmth and contentment from her smiles as well, and for now, that would satisfy the demon prince.



Needless to say, Kouga thought Kagome was in far better condition than when he first brought her here. She didn't flinch upon hearing Inuyasha's name, the scent of tears no longer tainted her scent as much, and she looked genuinely at peace when she was with Shippo and the rest of the wolf clan, or even just with him. Yes, the wolf prince felt satisfaction in that fact the most.



"Kouga," His thoughts were interrupted at the sound of her angelic voice. He looked at her, nodding to show his attention. He watched as she shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. "I, I still can't thank you enough for all that you've done for us."



Kagome's hand went to ruffle Shippo's hair, who giggled while still having piece of shrimp stuck in his mouth. His impassive face continued to stare at her.



"And I know we've been a bit of trouble. .."



"I assure you," He interrupted almost immediately, "I did not find you to be troublesome at all, in fact. . ."He paused, mulling over his next words, "I enjoyed having you here. It is the least I can do after you have shown me hospitality in your world, Kagome." She nodded, smiling at the memory.



"Thank you, but I think. . ." Her eyes lifted to meet his, "I think I'm ready now." He stared at her in confusion.



"Ready for what?" Kouga asked stoically. She bit her bottom lip, not sure of herself if she was truly ready for whatever it was that she was supposed to be ready for. Finally, she let out a sigh and nodded at him.



"I'm ready to go back," Kouga looked at her with shock, though his mask still stayed in place. He wasn't the only one, Shippo was in shock as well.



"Really momma? Are we really gonna go back with the others?" He chirped. Kagome nodded at him, but her attention was quickly averted to Kouga when she felt his hand upon her shoulder. She was mildly surprised to see that his icy orbs flickered with concern.



"Kagome," He said her name firmly, "Are you sure?" It had been three days since he had taken her away from the object of her pain, and to him, it seemed rather soon to have already recovered. Still, she looked at him with honest eyes and placed a gentle hand over his clawed ones on her shoulder. She took in a deep breath, nodding in resolution.



"Yes, I am sure." Kagome answered, giving him a reassuring smile. A growing warmth grew within her at the touch of his hand, and she smiled at her sudden realization.



The demon prince withdrew from her, never breaking away from her gaze. He inwardly sighed. He was glad for her. . .glad that she was no longer hurting and ready to face her fears. But. . .a part of him sort of wished he could have him a bit longer to himself. That little selfish pup that he knew to be inside himself. However, he knew Kagome was like a bird---meant to fly free, and he could not keep his sweet nightingale to himself forever.



Her eyes showed such resolve, he knew she had decided, and would not back down. Still slightly baffled at how much she matured in such a short time, he only sighed and complied.



"Very well then," He said to her stiffly, "I will take you to your friends tomorrow." He turned back his attention to his half-eaten breakfast, and avoided looking at Kagome. However, that didn't last long, because moments later, he felt a warm hand covered over his own.



He looked up to see kind eyes staring back at him.



"Thank you, Kouga."



~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



He watched from afar as she played with the children from the clan, inwardly smiling when they tackled her to the ground and tickled her mercilessly. Kouga debated for a while whether to save her from them or not, and decided to let the children have their fun with her a little longer. Besides, he quite enjoyed the sound of her laughter ringing in the sakura blossom wind.



The demon Prince furrowed his eyebrows together in thought. Like the time in Kagome's era, he found himself dreading tomorrow, when he'd have to return her to Inuyasha. He wondered with an aching heart, if the reason why she wanted to return so soon was because she missed seeing HIM. Even more so, he wondered if it was because his little display of affection the other day was what pushed her away.



But. . .he wasn't sure, but something in the way she looked at him, touched his hand, and kissed him tenderly on the cheek, told him that he was going in the wrong direction. Kouga's gaze returned to her form just yards ahead, plopping down into the shade and laughter dying down. She turned to his direction and he heard her call out his name in light mirth.



His uncertainty would not leave him, and now he had to know for himself what it was that TRULY made her decide with such resolve and confidence. Kouga approached the maiden sitting patiently under the swaying sakura tree.



She looked up with bright blue orbs at his towering form and patted at the spot beside her. Kagome watched as he gracefully sat down next to her, the both of the staying in complete silence as they stared off in the direction of the playful kitusne and the other wolf pups---torturing Kouga's servent.



Kouga, finally being able to sort out his thoughts out into words, was about to finally speak when Kagome beat him to it.



"I'm over Inuyasha for real, if that's what you're thinking. . ." She started, and Kouga was surprised at her start of conversation. An amusing thought came into his head if she had an ability to read minds as a part of her miko powers.



"Are you?" He ended up asking, earning a look that said, 'What made you think otherwise?' But her expression softened to one of understanding.



"Yes, and I'm not sure how or why I did so quickly. . ." Kagome outstretched her hand, catching a fluttering sakura blossom as it fell from its' perch on the branch. "But I think being here has a lot to do with it. . ." Kouga's eyes focused on her hand that fingered absently at the pink petal.



He remained silent, waiting for her to continue. He anticipated the answer, but at the same time dreaded it. It was so complicated.



"You know, I came here hoping to forget all about that idiot. . ." Kagome said with a bit of fondness at the word 'idiot,' . Her fingers dropped the petal, and she stretched out her hand once more for more petals to fall into her waiting palm. "But it DID give me time to think about my feelings for him."



"And, what ARE your feelings for him?" He questioned cautiously. She almost chuckled at the words.



"Oh! Where do I start?" But the feeling of sadness overcame her once more, "I loved him. . .simple as that," She admitted honestly, and Kouga felt a pang of hurt and jealousy consume him. He felt like blocking her out after that, but something forced him to remain as he was, listening patiently. "Well, at least it SHOULD be that simple. . ."



Kagome's voice became laced in sadness, "I don't even know when I had begun to fall for him, but I never expected it. . .Inuyasha was the type of guy farthest from my dream prince," She said with slight amusement. Kouga nodded, understanding where she was coming from. Afterall, he himself had never expected to fall for a human, and Kagome nonetheless, but it was ironic how these things worked out.



"But that doesn't really matter, all that did was I loved him. . .but Inuyasha, I knew I meant something to him too. But I also knew that he could never look at me without seeing HER." She looked away from Kouga for a minute, "It hurt at first. . .more than you'll ever know, and I should be mad at him. . ."



"But you're not," Kouga finished for her. She nodded in agreement.



"No, I'm not," Kagome picked at the sakura blossoms in her hands, "It took me so long. . .but I finally realize, that I could never blame him for loving Kikyo any more than I can blame myself for loving Inuyasha. She was his first love, he could never forget about her. And it was not my place to ask for his love in return, for you see, she was there first. Who am I to get in between them?"



Kouga's cold exterior slipped a bit, and his anger slowly melted away only to be replaced with a growing need to comfort her, to tell her that she more than deserved love. But he remained silent.



"I'm not mad at Kikyo either, she only wanted to be with him. . .even in death. All I ever wanted was for those that I loved to be happy, and being here made me see. . .that because I loved Inuyasha, I will let him go, even if it meant a lifetime of unhappiness for me. I'll be okay," Kagome finally released all of the petals into her lap, and locked gazes with Kouga's icy-blue depths, "Because I have you. . .and so many others to help me move on."



Kouga sat, shocked as she leaned against him, her head resting on his shoulder. Slowly, and hesitantly, he wrapped his arm behind her back, pulling her closer. She was so strong. . .for a human girl, and he so admired her for it. But her answer left him with another question.



"Will you ever forget about Inuyasha?" He asked impassively. A sigh reached his ears, and he gazed down at her face, a serene expression on it.



"No," She answered.



"Why not?" Tracing small circles on the grass, Kagome shrugged and sorted out her thoughts into words.



"Because he was my first love. . ." was her simple answer, "and you can never really forget your first love, even if you've moved on. . ." Kouga nodded after a while. She was right. . .deep in his heart he knew she was, for it spoke the same about himself as well. And after hearing her confront her feelings like she had, he had to conclude that he was not angry at her for loving Inuyasha either.



It was then that both of them noticed the silence of the air, and the darkness of the scenery. Kouga looked up from his stare at the miko's face to see that the night was quickly coming upon them. His ears caught the sound of Kagome's soft giggles as she pointed in the direction of the children.



There, in the middle of the field they lay, sleeping soundly with a pretty much unconscious wolf servent beside them.



"Let's get them inside," She suggested, and he nodded, slowly getting to his feet and offering her a hand to get up. She gladly took it, and was almost disappointed when he had let go to get the children.


"Man, those kids can sleep through anything!" Kagome said in a light tone as she walked down the halls with Kouga. He had to agree with her on that. Shortly after they carried the children back inside and placed them on the futons, the wolf servent/babysitter named Ginta came bursting through the door, screaming about abandonment and torture. Kouga did well to silence the shrieking wolf before the children awoke, but was surprised when they didn't even stir at the sudden disturbance.



Now, he was walking down the hallway with Kagome, enjoying her presence for the remainder of the day before he would have to take her back to Inuyasha tomorrow. When they had finally reached her shoji door, Kagome went inside and immediately started packing.



Kouga watched her with interest as she laid out a now clean uniform on top of her backpack as she finished.



"Well, all set for tomorrow," She said with a sigh and seated herself onto the futon. Kagome looked up to see him staring with intense, molten gazes at them. Blushing, she found a new interest in the stitch work of her blanket.



There was that feeling again, and it was more intense than she had ever remembered. Kagome felt more at ease with him than before after telling him her feelings on Inuyasha in the garden. It was strange how much she was able to share with him, and she wondered to herself if Kouga felt any different after their conversation as well. He was still as silent as ever, but she could sort of tell. . .from the way he looked at her, and even now, that he understood.



"Till tomorrow then," Kouga said, nodding at her, and turning to leave. It was almost with a heavy heart that he left her, knowing that tonight, he'd once more return to the confinements of his chambers longing that Kagome was there with him.



"Wait. . ." Kagome cried out, and he stopped halfway through the door, glancing back at the miko he secretly loved. She blushed. 'What am I doing?' She thought, why did she not want him to leave just yet? But deep within, she knew the answer. For some reason. . .tonight she wanted just a little more time with the wolf prince. "Can you just. . .stay a little while longer?"



Kouga looked at her confusedly, icy-blue eyes widening when she edged a bit closer to the edge of the bed and leaving a large space. Her hand was gently placed on it, and she gave him a pleading look. Did she. . .?



"Kagome, I don't think that we---"



"No," She started gently, "It's just. . .I don't want to be alone tonight," Looking up at him, sapphire eyes shining with trust, she fumbled with the blanket clumsily. "What I mean is. . .can you just. . ." She blushed at the next words, ". . .Kouga, can you just hold me?"



Silence engulfed the room, and Kouga remained glued to his spot by the doorway for several moments before he came out of his stupor. Stepping inside, he closed the shoji door quietly behind him, and smiled softly at her.



Kagome felt relief wash over her as he kneeled down beside her, and promptly sat next to her on the futon. Without thinking, she immediately leaned into his firm chest, cuddling into his neck and sighing in contentment. He seemed rather shocked that she was being so affectionate, but soon eased, giving into the warmth that enveloped him at having her in his arms and wrapping her in an embrace.



She smiled, her sapphire irises flickering in revelation. This feeling of completeness whenever she was with him. . .the feeling of want and need that rose within her chest at the sight of him. . .the feeling that she knew only Kouga could give her---the feeling of bliss when he simply held her. Like the fool she was, the fool who had long suffered from her heartaches and never learned from her pain. . .



'I love Kouga,' Kagome held onto him tighter, basking in the feeling of having his arms and tail wrapped loosely around her petite frame in a protective manner. 'It wasn't too fast, I had started falling for him since the day he saved me fromthe deer demon,' Inhaling his fresh scent of the forest and brisk autumn air, she sighed in contentment.



It had taken Inuyasha's betrayal to make her see. . .but it was also Inuyasha's betrayal that held her back. 'What if he doesn't feel the same way? What if I end up crying again? I have no one else to run to. . .' Her fingers gripped on his shoulder almost painfully, and Kouga had to loosen it himself.



Looking worriedly down at her, he lifted her gaze to his, only to see her sapphire orbs plagued with worry, confusion, and a soft, tender emotion that he saw more and more of lately.



"Kagome, are you all right?" He asked her softly. Kagome's eyes lowered to his hands, and she delved deeper into her thoughts. 'But what about all that he has done for you?' A voice reminded, 'He would not have if he didn't care. . .and that time in the dojo. . .my house. . .and even when I got hurt from Kikyo and he treated me. . .' Could just be lust. . .a nagging thought resounded. Her hopes faltered. 'Yes, it could be just lust. . .'



But when she gazed at him once more, his icy-blue eyes betrayed no emotions that flashed across them, and her conflicting thoughts vanished. Leaning back into his warmth, she shook her head. 'Doesn't matter, I'm content with him just holding me like this. . .'



"Nothing's wrong. . ." She whispered sleepily, snuggling closer into his fur and smiled.



He saw it. . .she smiled, for the first time truly smiled. . .his clawed hand came up to brush her ebony bangs, and he smiled himself. Something in her answer told him that her feelings for him changed somewhat. . .it held the same tenderness and affection that he spoke to her with at times.



Kouga felt it again, the familiar urge---the need to confess to her his feelings. . .but he knew he couldn't do it. Not after what she had said in the garden. It wasn't because he was worried about her still being attached to Inuyasha, because she said so herself, she would move on. . .



No, the reason was because Kagome knew how it felt when the person you love didn't love you back. . .Kouga's heart clenched painfully. If he told her, she would worry about hurting him. . .so. . .



'So I won't tell her. . .' He thought sadly, holding the girl closer. 'At least not yet. . .' He placed a soft kiss on her forehead, and letting sleep overcome himself his mind grasped onto one last thought.



"You can never really forget your first love," Her voice echoed in his head, and he smiled. 'I won't forget mine. . .my Kagome. . .'



The early signs of morning shone through the glass windows, falling upon the still forms of the sleeping couple. The glint of sunlight burned through the wolf prince's eyelids, and no matter how much he wished to remain in his state of pure bliss and warmth, Kouga hesitantly opened his eyes to a new day.



A content sigh was whispered beside him, and ice blue eyes fell to the sleeping beauty that still lay nestled in his arms and fluffy tail. A clawed hand went up to brush raven bangs from her closed eyes, and pulling the miko closer, he breathed in the intoxicating scent that was Kagome.



She responded by moaning softly and cuddled even closer. Placing a kiss upon her temple, a distressed sigh passed his lips. How deep his love ran for her, and yet how much longer must he hide that which has become his only reason for breathing from his Kagome.



Kouga realized now, how uncharacteristic it was for him to fear something so intangible as this emotion that humans called love. He, the feared demon wolf prince of the North, at the mercy of this girl's sapphire gaze. . .And yet he DID fear it, more than anything he had ever thought possible.



Perhaps his fear had started from his early childhood, when he had first felt the torment of a broken heart. . .when his beloved mother died and left him alone in this cold, and harsh world of warfare, demons, and bloodshed. There was no room for love in this era.



And so Kouga had become hardened, burying his heart and this emotion that brought false joy, only to leave you with a bitter and tortured taste of pain. There was no use for such unwanted pain. No trace of it could be seen in his icy depths since then, it was the only way to prevent the unbearable torment from being inflicted upon him again.



By falling in love with Kagome he had broken his vows to himself, but it was the same vow that kept him from completing his soul. The same FEAR of having his heart torn that sung the weakness of the demon prince. 'But Gods, how I love her. . .'



His gaze averted to the drifting sakura blossoms that fell across the windows. Kissing Kagome's temple once more, he gently loosened his tail and set her down on the futon, hesitantly pulling away from their tender embrace.



Kagome whimpered at the lost of warmth, but curled on her side, gripping the covers. Kouga smiled affectionately at her, walking over the window and giving a backward glance at the slumbering angel. 'Let her sleep a while longer. . .' He thought, he was afterall, in no hurry to go back to reality.



For several moments, Kouga allowed himself to enjoy the serene morning. Watching the sakura blossoms fall gracefully outside, hearing the delicate songs of the waking birds, basking in the scent of Kagome, and listening to her soft breathing. Kouga then began singing once again.

~When I think back on these times

And the dreams we left behind

I'll be glad cuz I was blessed to get

To have you in my life ~

It wasn't long before he could hear the first signs of Kagome waking from her slumber. A soft yawn and a rustle of sheets sounded from behind him. But Kouga continued his song

~When I look back on these days

I'll look and see your face

You were right there for me ~

Kagome blinked around her, realizing that she was alone in bed, no longer surrounded by the comforting warmth. Bright, sapphire eyes fell upon the demon lord that stood by the window, staring out to the sunrise outside. She smiled, blushing slightly when she remembered that Koga had stayed with her throughout the entire night. That's when she heard his voice....so soft but strong. Kagome sat back as the melody of Kouga's voice filled the morning air.



~In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky

In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life

I'll keep a part of you with me

And everywhere I am there you'll be ~

She blushed even harder when she remembered her self-admission of her love for him. . .who knew? He gave her a backwards glance, mask back in place, but his ice blue eyes not hiding any of the tender emotions that played across them.



~Well you showed me how it feels

To feel the sky within my reach

And I always will remember all

The strength you gave to me

Your love made me make it through

Oh I owe so much to you

You were right there for me ~



"Kouga. .." She whispered, climbing out of the futon's covers, and approaching the demon prince. Kouga turned to her, gazing at her as she stood beside him, also gazing at the rising sun. Kagome opened her mouth to appogize for her actions that previous night, but was caught short as Kouga lifted his fingers to her lips. He then looked back out at the sunrise.

~In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky

In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life

I'll keep a part of you with me

And everywhere I am there you'll be ~

Kagome then leaned her head on his shouder, as he continued.



~Cuz I always saw in you my light my strength ~

Koga then grabbed her hand, squeezing it gently



~And I want to thank you now for all the ways

You were right there for me

For always ~

Kouga gazed down into Kagomes face. Kagome returned his gaze and smiled. Her eyes sparkling in the morning light.



~In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky

In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life

I'll keep a part of you with me

And everywhere I am there you'll be

There you'll be~

They stood in peace for a more moments enjoying each others company. Kagome lifted her head from the wolf demon's shoulder. "Morning already?" Kagomes sad eyes lifted into the face of the demon prince who stood there quietly, emotionless mask back in place.



"Yes," He replied, in an almost regretful tone. "Get ready, we're leaving soon." Kagome sighed, and to Kouga's surprise, squeezed his hand tighter and leaned back onto his shoulder. Kagome felt a little tug of regret. . .regret of having to leave this place. A place where she had learned to let go and discover love, a place where she discovered both her strength and her weakness. . .a place with Kouga.



"I know. . ." Was all she said. Kouga pulled her away, only to press her close to his firm chest, resting his chin atop her head. Both of them couldn't bear the thought of being separated yet again from the other. Not now, when they had come so close.

Kouga gently stepped away from her, caressing her cheek with caring hands. She leaned into his touch, gazing at him with innocent and trusting blue pools. The instinct to protect what was his came forth. He didn't know if he could live with himself if another drop of her blood, or her tears would fall if under Inuyasha's care once more.

Ice-blue eyes closed in resolution.



"And so it ends," With that he released her from his embrace, only to have her following closely behind. Her aura was calm, and yet tense at the same time. Kouga could only give her glances of reassurance, as a choice was made in his restless soul. She would not have to face her fears alone. . .and he would not allow her to cry ever again.



He had decided.




He was seemingly dead, living from day to day as if life had no meaning, and his once intense amber gaze had turned to a dull, hazy stare. Miroku was becoming rather concerned for his hanyou friend. Inuyasha had neither eaten nor slept since he found out about Kagome's sudden disappearance.



He only ate when the others pushed him to, and even then it was small nibbles and bites. The leftover ramen that Kagome left did nothing for him either, which was a shocker. When Inuyasha DID sleep, it was in restless states, moaning, and crying out for the young miko in guilt and regret.



Miroku gazed up at him, seated atop the Goshinboku tree, where he usually spent most of his days now. Sometimes, it would be the well, but it was always for the same reason---to reflect on Kagome. The monk sighed. It had only been three days since Kagome left, and yet without her presence, it seemed like an eternity.



"Do you think Kagome's alright with Kouga?" Sango asked Miroku in a soft tone so they wouldn't catch Inuyasha's attention. The monk shrugged at her, taking a seat beside the equally worried demon exterminator.



"I'm not sure, Kouga seems honest in his intentions. I'm almost positive that she is alright. I just hope that she's faring better than Inuyasha," He said sternly. Sango sighed.



"I've never seen him like this! And he hasn't said a word about what happened between them when he went after Naraku. . ."



Both jumped in surprise when the person of their conversation appeared before them. His amber eyes flickered with silent regret and a bit of sadness and anger as well. Miroku and Sango both fell silent.



"You want to know what happened?" Inuyasha's voice was gruff, and stern. He watched as they held their breaths, waiting for him to answer. He closed his eyes, fists clenched tightly at his side at the recollection of the painful memory. The mistake of his life. 'They have to know. . .' He thought bitterly, and he knew he couldn't bury it and not expect it to still haunt him.



A deep breath was inhaled before he started.



"When Kouga and I confronted Naraku, he had revealed that Kagome wasn't the only one that he held captive."



"Then who. . .?"Miroku started, only to be silenced by Inuyasha's stare. His voice shook as he whispered her name.



"Kikyo." A gasp resounded around the group.



"He made you choose. . ." Miroku narrowed his eyes when he saw Inuyash nod. "You didn't choose Kagome, did you?" He watched as Inuyasha turned away, a pained expression on his face and his fist began to shake.



"I told you, I screwed up!" He bit out angrily. "I. . .I couldn't. . ." He stumbled over his words. "Kouga saved her instead. . .I practically left her to die. . .left her for Kikyo. . ." The hanyou had his back turned to them now, not wanting them to see how much it hurt him to talk about it.



"I'll never forget the way she looked at me," He breathed, "This probably wouldn't hurt as much if she looked at me with hate. . .But not Kagome. She looked at me with hurt and betrayal, with shattered hopes and sorrow, but not with hate. . ." He nearly scoffed at his own words. Kagome could never hate, it simply did not exist within her. "I kind of wished she would, because I would've gotten what I deserved. I would owe her nothing."



Inuyasha's head turned upwards to the sky, silver locks cascading from his shoulders.



"But what of Kikyo?" Sango asked, not being able to resist. "Shouldn't she be with you?" The hanyou's anger flared.



"KIKYO IS A TRAITOR!" He shouted, his voice drenched in rage. "She. . .she was working with Naraku the whole time! She used me to get rid of Kagome! She BETRAYED me!" Inuyasha couldn't bring himself to tell them that she mated with their greatest foe as well.



His friends remained silent, unable to decide whether to comfort him, or chide him for his poor choice. But Inuyasha seemed to be punishing himself far more than the others could.



". . .I betrayed Kagome," He said quietly, and walking away to the well, Miroku and Sango stared after him. "My Kagome. . ."



"I've never seen Inuyasha like this. . ." She whispered.



"Perhaps this whole incident only opened his eyes, and I don't blame him for being so hung up about this," The taija looked at the monk with a questioning gaze. "I know I would feel the same way if the one I cared the most was torn away from me. . ." Miroku gazed at Sango with intense brown orbs as he said this, and she could not help but blush.



Averting her gaze to the ground, she nodded.



"You're right. . ." She muttered, and looked to the sky. Chocolate eyes widened when she saw a bronze cloud streaked overhead. "Hey, what's that?" She pointed to the sky, and the Miroku stared in the direction she was pointing, jaw dropping wonder and realization.



"They're back."



Inuyasha stopped dead in his tracks. The scent of sakura blossoms and jasmine. . . 'Kagome. . .' His eyes turned from the bone-eater's well, to the clear blue skies. His heart suddenly soared and sank at the same time. Kouga was with her, holding Kagome in his arms bridal style and staring impassively at him. Shippo on his shoulder, was giving the hanyou nervous glances as well. As the Bronze cloud slowly descended, Inuyasha remained glued to the spot.



Sapphire met amber in the silent clearing, and feelings unable to be described by words were exchanged as Kouga's feet touched the ground, the cloud disappearing upon first contact with the earth.



The demon prince held Kagome a bit closer to his chest, giving Inuyasha a cold look before he settled Kagome on her feet. However, he still refused to loosen his hold on her waist.



"Kagome. . ." Inuyasha whispered, his voice cracking under all the emotion. He slowly approached them, almost afraid that Kagome would run away. A clawed hand came out to reach out for her. Kouga growled softly, pulling Kagome closer to himself and glaring heatedly at Inuyasha.



He eased however when she gave him a reassuring glance, her hand coming up to his chest to emphasize that she would be alright. Hesitantly, the wolf prince released Kagome from his hold. She smiled gratefully at him before facing the silver-haired hanyou.



Slowly, she took timid steps towards him, watching all of the emotions flicker across his eyes---guilt, regret, sorrow, hope, fear, anger, and. . .something else she wasn't sure she could define. Sighing, she gave him a meek smile.



"Hey, Inuyasha," Kagome called out softly. In an instant, Inuyasha had let all of his barriers fall and rushed to sweep Kagome into his arms in a tight embrace. Kagome was in shock, but eased when she heard him sobbed his apologies into her hair.



Kouga had to refrain from ripping the two apart as the jealousy seethed underneath. But he remained silent and merely a bystander in the spectacle, letting them have their little reunion. It still hurt him deeply when he saw them locked in their embrace. . .would she take Inuyasha back?



Shippo, who was currently occupying Kouga's shoulder, sensed the demon wolf's tense aura. He patted his shoulder comfortingly. But he still remained restless however.



Inuyasha didn't even care if he saw him like this; begging for forgiveness from the one perfect creature he had dared to hurt. The demon prince turned away, focusing his attention elsewhere when Inuyasha's pleading words and Kagome's forgiving acceptance reached his ears.



"Kagome, Kagome, forgive me! I never meant. . .I made a mistake. . .Please don't leave. . ." He pleaded, holding Kagome tighter as if fearing she would leave him if he let go.



"Shhhh," Kagome hushed him soothingly. "Don't worry, I'm not mad." Inuyasha pulled away from her, and she had to keep from gasping when she saw tears streaming down his face. She brought up a hand to cup his wet cheek. He only looked away in shame.



"How can you forgive me so easily?" He asked her, his voice filled with a sense of awe and sadness. Kagome smiled at him, a smile that he was sure he would never see again. She gazed over at Kouga who stood just a few yards away. Silently, she thanked him for giving her the strength to realize the truth.



"Because I understand, Inuyasha," was her simple answer. He couldn't help but smile himself, and drawing her in for one last quick hug, he felt truly fortunate to have such a perfect creature as Kagome for a friend. And perhaps. . .he still had a chance at regaining her love for him.



Kouga couldn't stand it anymore, and was about to go up to them and pull Kagome away to show Inuyasha who Kagome really belonged to when out of the trees emerged the monk and demon exterminator.



"Kagome!" Sango cried out in a relieved voice, and in an instant, Kagome was out of Inuyasha's embrace and locked in Sango's. "Thank the heaven's you're alright. . .you ARE alright, aren't you?" She asked. Kagome gave out a weak laugh and nodded reassuringly at her friends.



"Hai. I feel like a million bucks!" She said cheerily. Sango raised an eyebrow at her.



"Why would you want to feel like a herd of a million deer?" A few giggles were released into the calm air, and the whole group felt like burden was lifted upon hearing Kagome's laughter once more. Miroku smiled to himself and sauntered over to the miko and taija.



"Well, I'd say this calls for a group hug!" He suggested, and before anything could happen, he had pulled them both in a tight hug.



Both Kouga and Inuyasha almost sliced off the houshi's head when they caught sight of his wandering hands traveling south to the girls' buttocks. Luckily, both Kagome and Sango slapped Miroku unconscious before any bloodshed could occur.



He fell with a thump onto the ground, wearing a goofy smirk while the two ladies muttered about perverts. Kouga raised a delicate eyebrow at the scene, and Shippo laughed happily.



"Yup! Everything's back to normal!" He chirped.



Even Inuyasha had to agree, and couldn't help but smile. Yes, it was as if everything picked off from where they had left, and perhaps everything WOULD be alright. Glancing over at Kouga, Inuyasha noticed that he was staring at Kagome with the same affection as well. His smile faded. The question still lingered. . .



What had happened in the three days that they were away, in the three days that Kagome was with Kouga? He narrowed his eyes at the sight of them when Kouga approached Kagome and placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her from trying to help Sango beat Miroku with her backpack. Afterall, he thought, a lot can happen in three days. . .



Inuyasha stepped in between Kouga and Kagome.



"Listen, I. . ." He grit his teeth at the next words, "Thanks for saving Kagome. . ." He said as quickly as possible. He scoffed at him.



"Someone has to correct your mistakes," He replied coldly, though softening his gaze when ice-blue eyes fell on Kagome's sapphire ones. "I was merely keeping my own vows to Kagome as well." She blushed noticeably, causing Inuyasha to glare at them.



"Yeah well, thanks and all that other stuff. We're all happy, so there's no reason for you to stick around here anymore," He started, obviously trying to get rid of his hated rivial. The affect that he was having on Kagome was quite unnerving, and the hanyou felt like he was missing some unknown message that they kept sending each other with each gaze that they exchanged.



Kouga remained silent for a while, and soon, amber eyes locked with ice-blue in an intense stare.



"Actually, Inuyasha, there is."



The night sounded with the peaceful music of the chirping crickets and the owls hooting. Stars glimmered dully in the sky, and the half-faded moon was hidden behind darkened clouds. Everyone was asleep inside Kaede's hut, gaining as much rest before they would resume their shard-hunt the next day. All that is, except the newest member, the wolf demon prince, Kouga.



Inuyasha stared with intense amber depths down at Kouga from his perch, who was practicing with His sword under the moon's light. His form graceful and his movements like liquid. Kouga ignored him throughout most of his practice, but didn't hold back the knowing glance that he shot him from the corner of his icy-blue eyes.



The half-demon growled. Jumping from his position on the tree's branch, he landed beside the wolf demon, glaring intensely at the demon prince.



"Why are you doing this?" He demanded. Kouga sheathed his sword, but did not look at him.



"I, unlike you, practice in order to perfect my skills. And if you did too, perhaps you wouldn't waste Tetsusuaiga's power," Was his impassive reply. Inuyasha waved it aside with a harsh gesture of his hand.



"Don't play dumb with me, Kouga! You know very well what I meant! Why would you want to join forces with us anyway?" He shouted, fists clenched. "You have no use for jewel shards, and you could care less about Naraku! So why?" Kouga still didn't answer, and instead made it seem like he was more interested in the moon's glow. Inuyasha hated being ignored.



"Answer me, Kouga! I know you have a reason. . ." The demon prince stared coldly at him.



"My reasons are my own, and are not a part of your concern." With that, he headed back to the hut, but not before stopping, looking back at the annyoed half-breed of a mutt. "Kagura killed most of my clan, but she also helped me save Kagome. So in a way I am helping you with your revenge."



"Then why? I don't understand. . .you never cared before. . ." He looked at him. If the first reason wasn't it, that only left. . .



Kouga glanced at the moon once more, peeking from behind its' clouds. He inhaled, taking in the smell of Sakura blossoms, the scent of Kagome who slept not far from here.



"Before. . ." He mused, thinking back to the time when he was ignorant, too proud to admit to what was in front of him, "That was before HER," Ice-blue eyes met with amber once more before he turned his heels to leave the hanyou with the restless wind and his wary thoughts.



"YOU, more than anyone should understand, Inuyasha." And in that one moment, the two had finally realized. . .they had something in common afterall.




It was quiet around the dark castle. Too quiet for Naraku's liking. But the hanyou was so confident that his plan had worked upon the Inu-tachi, that most of his schemes were no longer needed to thwart them. 'Afterall, the miko no longer holds a threat against me, and the half-breed has lost his bite when he lost both Kikyo AND Kagome. . .'



However, this did not bring the usual joy he thought it would to his devious soul. Bored, he had decided. How very bored he was, and it just wasn't as fun to toy with others' minds as much as it was for the group of Shard hunters.



Even with Kikyo, she alone could not satisfy his thirst for fulfillment. Perhaps it was merely because. . .the jewel still remains to be incomplete. And he, Naraku, was still a mere half-demon. Perhaps it was something more that kept him uneasy, but he knew that if he bided his time any longer, he would go insane.



Naraku felt cold arms wrap around his torso, and a light weight press against his back. He leaned back into Kikyo's embrace.



"What are you planning, Naraku?" She cooed, whispering the words into his wavy ink hair in an almost emotionless voice. A cold smile came to his lips, and crimson eyes wandered off into the distance.



The wind blew furiously outside, sending dust to the air and a cold chill to the skin. Naraku was vaguely reminded of the wolf prince. Yes, he knew what he wanted to do.



"I'm thinking. . ." He started, causing Kikyo to open dark eyes in full attention, "it's about time we claim the rest of the shards. . ."



Kikyo smirked against his hoari, her grip tightening around his clothes.



'Yes. . .and when we complete the jewel, I will get what I want. . .' She thought with a malicious glint in her eye. Her plan was already formulated in her mind. She will use Naraku to do all the work for her, and soon. . .it would only be a matter of time. And the arrogant fool is still in the dark. . . 'You're not the only one who can manipulate others, Naraku.'



He turned slightly, so that he could bring his head down and kiss her in a hard lip lock. Closing her darkened brown eyes, she responded to him. Such was required in an actress, a puppeteer, a manipulator. 'Two can play at this game.'



~ ^_^ ~



How unusual it felt. . .most of them had decided. It had always been the five of them---six if you counted Kirara, but now with Kouga along for the ride, it was just. . .unusual.



Now as they walked down the dusty road, trees looming over them for gratifying shade and sun high in the sky, they felt the tension more than ever. Everyone was deathly silent, and the young miko glanced uneasily from person to person, mainly Kouga and Inuyasha.



Not a word had been exchanged between both of them since yesterday night, and she didn't fail to notice the glaring looks that they occasionally sent each other.



'Well what do you expect? For them to be all "brotherly" after just yesterday?' Kagome knew that even if they started talking, it would probably end in a fight. . .



It still needed some getting used to, but she was just silently glad that they weren't killing each other. She was also just glad that she could be near Kouga. Blushing, she avoided his gaze when she noticed he was staring at her from the back of the group. Kagome could practically feel his eyes bore into her back.



Clawed hands ran through his black locks as he observed the group from behind. Well, more or less, observing Kagome. It was strange how after all this time, he never tired of watching her. Every movement she made, ever breath that passed her lips. . .every blush of her cheeks and every shy glance she sent him.



Yes, he still enjoyed watching her very much so. She wasn't the only one who gave him looks. Kouga glared over at Inuyasha who eyed the both of them with a bit of bitterness. No doubt the words that he had left him with the night prior was still eating away at him.



Kouga wondered if the worthless mutt-face was beginning to get the message that Kagome did not belong to him, and that she was fair game. And HE was competition. However, the wolf demon still got a feeling that Inuyasha was not going to give up Kagome that easily. Not even after all that has happened. . . 'The stubborn whelp.' Kouga thought with a frown, 'Never did know when to give up.'



His Icy eyes settled back to Kagome. 'It does not matter,' he mused. All that matters is who SHE chooses in the end. Kouga had to keep from smiling at her pouting expression. It was obvious that the quiet atmosphere was making her nervous. And it was even more obvious that Inuyasha wasn't going to talk to her, on account that he was probably afraid to show his soft side while he was here.



The monk and the demon exterminator made light conversation, but they didn't last very long with her. Deciding to keep her company, Kouga picked up his pace to approach her.



"Tell me, Kagome," She heard his deep voice call out to her, and sapphire irises raised to meet his molten gaze. "Is this how your usual day of shard hunting consists of?" Kouga asked in his usual stoic voice, and yet his eyes still held the soft tenderness that she had grown accustomed to seeing.



"More or less," Kagome answered, letting out a breath of relief at finally breaking the uneasy silence. The demon prince moved from the back of the group to Kagome's side. "But it's usually not this quiet." He nodded at her.



"I believe I am partly to blame for that," He admitted, his voice quiet and soft in their personal conversation. The others glanced back once in a while in curiosity at the pair. Kagome shook her head, her fingers tightening around the straps of her yellow backpack.



"Nah, it just needs some getting used to. I mean, can you honestly believe that it would be easy to accept the fact that you joined us in our search for the Shikon shards, and in defeating Naraku? Afterall, you tried to kill us more than once," She reasoned. But Kagome noticed that a sort of regretful look came over his eyes at this.



"But the fact that they accepted you so easily---most of them anyway," Kagome peered over at Inuyasha's tense back, his ear swiveling to show that he was eavesdropping, "shows that they understand that people can change."



Kouga gazed at her, ice-blue eyes soft as he saw her sapphire orbs darken in thought. He had a good idea of what she was thinking. The conversation that she had with Inuyasha yesterday.



After he had announced that he would join the Inu-group, and things had settled down, Inuyasha had begun to explain to Kagome what happened to himself and Kikyo after they had left for his castle.



Needless to say, Kagome had been shocked and the demon prince could feel the remorse she felt for her best friend. But he also saw an _expression cross her face for a split second of the moment, and he was almost positive that her thoughts were akin to something like, "I knew it!"



Kouga however, wasn't moved by it at all. More or less, he had expected such treachery from that walking corpse. Her cold eyes showed nothing short of malice and hate.



What was left of the pure priestess had died 50 years ago. 'There is nothing left but a mere shell of hatred.' Inuyasha just figured it out a little late as all.



He came out of his musing to see that Kagome was gazing back at him with liquid blue eyes. 'People can change,' she had said.



"Are you implying that I have changed?" He asked impassively.



"Maybe," She giggled, earning a raised eyebrow from him.



"Make no mistake, I am still the same merciless wolf demon when you had met me," He assured her, though his ice-blue eyes held a hint of what she saw to be controversy. She smiled, Kagome knew Kouga would never admit it, not aloud at least. . .



But having spent so much time with him, the young miko knew better.



"Of course. But what I also meant was that we've all changed. I've changed," She admitted. The demon prince's stare grew more intense, hanging onto her every word. What was she saying?



"How so?" He asked, causing her to bite her lower lip in concentration. A raised finger came to her lips, and she gave him a rather cute _expression as she thought over her answer.



"Well, what I meant was that. . .my FEELINGS changed. . ." Kagome said the last part in a small voice, blushing and turning away when she finished. Kouga averted his gaze to what lay ahead, but all the while, tried to decipher what her words meant.



A small part of him hoped that she meant. . .



Just then, the whole group stopped dead in their tracks. Inuyasha motioned for them all to be quiet, and his nose raised to the air to catch the familiar scent of youkai.



"What is it, Inuyasha?" Shippo asked from Miroku's shoulder. Kagome glanced nervously from the hanyou to taiyoukai, and saw the same alertness in his form as Inuyasha's. That was when she sensed it.



"Jewel shards!" She blurted. The others turned to look at her, Inuyasha scowled.



"Yeah, and that's not all. . ." His arms crossed into a rather annoyed stance, and both Sango and Miroku raised their eyebrows in question at him. Kagome looked over at Kouga, who in turn crossed his arms as well.



"Indeed," His calm, yet deadly voice ushered. "The scent of Renusuki."



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Red eyes glowed from behind shadowed trees, moving with stealth as it followed the unsuspecting wolf prince. It's scales bristled as its' whole body seethed with new power. Now, with the jewels shards embedded onto its' batted wings, a sense of confidence filled within it.



A slimy forked tongue slithered from its' fanged mouth to lick a sharp tooth. It's whole being wanted to test out this new power, so much so that it almost didn't mind being manipulated by that man clad in a baboon pelt.



"Bring to me the jewel shards embedded in the wolf prince's legs, and I shall bestow upon you power beyond imagining. . ." The demon had promised. It smirked, bloodlust eyes glittering in the dark.



'And power I shall have, as soon as I get those damned shards from that stupid wolf, I'll just kill off Naraku. . .' It planned in its' twisted mind.



But little did the dragon know. . .who he was dealing with.



"Just a pawn," Naraku cooed, observing the deadly dragon from Kanna's mirror. "In the end, they're all just pawns." Kikyo glared at his crouched form as he indulged in his traps and schemes. Yes, in the end, they were all just pawns. 'Even you, Naraku.'



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Lately, there's been a dragon demon that's been hunting down my pack since it invaded my lands. Already it has slaughtered several of my men, and even went as far as to destroy some of my lands." His Icy-blue eyes darkened with a vengeful gleam, growling out the words. "One of the wolves that managed to escape it, told me that it was after the jewel shards that I possess."

Kagome turned back at Kuoga, worry flashed onto her face.

"Great! Thank Kouga! You always know how kill us all off." Inuyasha's voice shattered the peace. Glaring over at the wolf prince he continued.

"So are you sure your not just staying here hoping to get our protection, cause I ain't ......"





"Silence, you fool," Kouga snapped, and all of a sudden all of the demons in their group had that look of alertness returning to them. Even Kirara bristled in anticipation.



Inuyasha grasped the hilt of his sword instinctively, and kouga's fist clenched tightly as he caught a whiff of the approaching demon.



"Speak of the devil. . ." He growled, "That damn thing's coming."



From the trees, emerged a gigantic dragon demon, it's large body sent trees crashing into the road, and its' large crimson eyes shined in bloodlust.



"Give me the Shikon. . ." It hissed, fangs dripping with blood---blood that Kouga recognized to be the scent of his kin.



"You bastard!" He growled, "I'll make you pay for every single one of my men that you've slaughtered!" Kouga leapt without a second thought, moving at lightning speed and his aura flared with anger.



The giant dragon roared, lunging towards the approaching wolf prince. Kouga managed to dodge it easily, punching it hard on its' skull.



As the battle raged on, the others quickly got to a safe distance, moving out of the dragon's thrashing tail's way. It was then that a glint of purple caught Kagome's eyes. She gasped.



"Inuyasha! That thing has jewel shards too!"



"Where?!" He had already unsheathed Tetsusaiga, and the others, seeing this, had readied their weapons and went into battle stances at once.



"I see three on its' right wing!" Kagome shouted to him, and a smirk formed on his lips as amber eyes followed Kouga's fighting form.



"Feh, we'll just hack it right off then! And whatever left of that stupid dragon we'll let the wimpy wolf have it!" Looks like they were going to end up aiding Kouga afterall. Inuyasha charged forward, with Sango and Miroku following closely behind.



Kagome made a move to join in as well, reaching for her bow and arrows. She was about to do just that when Kouga called out to her.



"Too dangerous, you stay there!," Kouga cried, more like commanded. Jumping away from the dragon Kouga landed into front of Kagome. She was just about to protest, when he pushed her back, turning to face the oncoming dragon demon.



"H-Hey!" Kagome started, but the demon prince ignored her, drew out his sword and headed back into the battle. But not before shooting a icy-blue glance back at her, a look that told her to obey his command. Running towards the large dragon. Kouga sliced at the demon but instead of hitting the dragon demon, his huge tail came straigh at the unexpecting demon prince.

"Kouga watch out!" Kagome's voice barley reached Kouga ears, when he felt somthing slam into his body.



Kouga fell onto the ground when it's thick, scaly tail impacted with his torso, sending dust flying into the air as he did so. His ice-blue orbs snapped open in alarm as it lashed out once more, planning to finish him off.



But before it could hit him, Kouga felt blood splatter on his armor. Inuyasha's form loomed overhead, Tetsusaiga tightly clasped in his hand, and Kouga saw the severed tail fall not too far from where he lay.



"Mutt! I don't need your help!" He bit out.



"Shut up, ya wimp!" Inuyasha retorted. "I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing it for the jewel shards!" With that, he turned back to the roaring dragon youkai, who was giving Sango and Miroku quite the workout as it's large arms and legs were proving to be quite troublesome as well.


Kouga moved with swift agility behind his unsuspecting victim. His form becoming nothing more than a brown blur, and cracking his knuckles, his claws glowed with electric power. He was about to strike when all of a sudden, the dragon somehow caught sight of him.



It's eyes reduced to angry slits and it roared. In an instant, it had hoisted itself into the air, it's wings flapping furiously, creating a large gust that threatened to blow them all away.



"Damnit all!" Inuyasha cursed, as he stabbed his sword into the earth in order to say on the ground. Sango used her haraikotsu, and Miroku and Kouga were making do with their own endurance and strength.



The wolf demon glared at his target, the dust and wind blurring his vision. It was impossible to battle like this when they could barely see anything. . .He could hear Inuyasha and the others struggling to fight back the force of wind as well.



'I'm tired of this,' He thought, and was about to jump up and finish it off in one sweep of his deadly punch when a bright pink light burst before them, clearing away all the smoke in an instant.



Their visions cleared, and all eyes widened when they saw the dragon youkai falling rapidly to the earth, it's wing sundered and separated from its' body, a single arrow pierced in its leather appendage.



Kouga and the others looked up to see Kagome standing poised on a nearby ledge; the string on the bow still vibrated from its' shot.



"Hah! Nailed him!" She cried out in triumph, and gave a high-five to Shippo on her shoulder. The dragon writhed painfully on the floor, it's bulging red eyes caught sight of its' attacker, and in blind fury, it raised itself with the last of its' strength and ran as fast as it could towards Kagome, leaving a trail of crimson blood in its' wake.



"Kagome!" Inuyasha and Kouga shouted out in warning, and her eyes widened in shock to see it moving at her in an alarmingly fast rate.



"Wench!" It growled, and was about to move in for the kill. But before it could sink its' teeth into Kagome's lithe body, Kouga had sliced it into pieces from the eletric spikes that shot from his fist, the blood spurting from the wounds, and its' body fell apart instantly.



Kagome slumped on the spot, watching as the dragon youkai fell onto the forest ground, its' body lying in a pool of its' own blood. In a matter of seconds, it dissipated into dust, leaving only but the bones and the jewel shards.



A sigh escaped her lips as Kouga landed beside her on the ledge, looking impassively down at her.



"Are you alright?" He asked her, his voice soft and his eyes flickered with concern. She swallowed, nodding.



"Yeah. . .that thing was just too close for comfort!" The demon prince crouched down beside her. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he pulled her against him before leaping down the ledge to where the others were.



Kagome pulled away from Kouga, and walked to the jewel shards, picking them up and watched as it purified under her touch.



"That's three down," She mumbled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A low growl came from his throat when the image of the newly formed Shard hunters flickered across the faded mirror. 'I had not expected this. . .' He thought with bitterness. No, he had not expected it at all. For one thing, his demon was not supposed to fail. . .



And yet it did, foiled by Kagome's arrow and Kouga's punches. That was another thing. Kagome's spirit should've been broken. She should not have been able to call forth any miko powers at all. But the young girl in the mirror seemed to brim with new energy and life. . .



Inuyasha was no longer weak now with his miko back by his side. . .and not to mention, they have a new ally as well.



Kouga. . .looking at the group once more, Naraku scowled. What unlikely allies. No, he had not expected this at all, and perhaps it was his lack of expectancy that cost him such a blunder. 'They have my jewel shards as well.'



Kikyo watched the image in Kanna's mirror over Naraku's shoulder.



"I see your plans to weaken them have only served to make them stronger. . ." She purred in an almost mocking way. Narakuy glared, but his sour face was replaced with a lustful gleam.



"It does not matter, all of it will end soon," He cooed. "They will be needing all the help they can get," his voice filled with his usual confidence, causing Kikyo to sneer behind his back.



'It will all end soon,' She reminded herself. She just had to tolerate him for just a little while longer.



Everything grew silent once more, and the group trudged on. The wolf demon edged a bit closer to Kagome, and Inuyasah took that as a sign to leave distance in between them---though that didn't stop him from sending cold glares at the two.Keeping a close eye on Kouga.



Sango and Miroku sent each other nervous glances as they eyed the unusual pair. They didn't need to have Inuyasha's acute hearing to catch the possessiveness laced in the demon lord's voice. Miroku motioned for Sango to join him in the back, and little by little, they lagged further behind for their own private conversation.



"Is it just me, or is Kouga slightly. . .overprotective of Kagome?" the taijya whispered to him. Miroku nodded.



"Yes, perhaps even more than Inuyasha," Miroku admitted---something that he'd never thought possible. When it came to jealousy, the hanyou beats all.



Up ahead, they saw Kouga pull Kagome into a little conversation of their own, and they also didn't fail to notice how Kagome's eyes seemed to light up and how she would occasionally blush when he spoke. It wasn't only that, but his words where devoid of its' usual ice, and was instead soft and tender when he talked to her.



"Do you think it has anything to do with Kagome's visit to Kouga's castle?" Sango suggested.



"Not sure," Miroku scratched his head, "But it is obvious that whatever transpired while they were absent, only created some kind of bond between them. I know that they showed signs of. . .attraction before, but it seems to have multiplied some." Just then, Shippo popped up out of no where and was on Sango's shoulder.



"Oh please. . .what's with all of the big words and observations?" The little kitsune questioned. "It's simple," His voice grew silent, and turquoise eyes glittered. The two bent closer to him. "They're in love!" Sango and Miroku's eyes widened momentarily before Shippo added a "Duh!" and puffed out his chest proudly.



The demon exterminator nibbled her bottom lip.



"Are you sure, Shippo?" She whispered, "I mean, Kagome. . .and Kouga? It just doesn't seem possible."



"Oh yes!" The kitsune nodded, smiling knowingly and crossed his arms, eyebrows furrowed together as if to give him the impression of being wise. "Afterall, I was with them the whole entire time! And Kouga's always nice to Kagome, and they sure did a lot of hugging. . ."



"You don't say," Miroku mused.



"I just did!" Shippo said quickly. "Honestly, are grown-ups really all that dense? If the wolf pups and I could figure it out, why can't everyone else?!" Sango glanced back at them again, they were quiet once more, but she noticed that Kouga was staring at Kagome when she wasn't looking, and vice versa.



"It's way too strange. . .but it does seem to fit. . ." She mumbled. However, her expression soon changed from contemplating to repulsed when she felt a hand grope her butt.



"Just like YOU seem to fit in my hands, ne my well-rounded Sango?" He leered.



The others stopped dead in their tracks and looked back when they heard the sound of Sango's fist connect with Miroku's jaw, and shrugged when the scene of him lying swirly-eyed on the ground.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

The sunset was just over the horizon, but no matter how brilliant the colors radiated, it did not lift the darkness from the castle. The wind blew ominously outside, causing the master of said castle smile in deep satisfaction.



Bringing a pale hand up to brush aside the inky black hair from his hauntingly beautiful face, his crimson eyes glittered in anticipation. Digging his hands into his pockets, he pulled out a nearly completed Shikon no Tama. His smirk grew wider.



"Nearing our goal now, aren't we?" Kikyo whispered from behind. Naraku chuckled, and nodded.



"Yes, in fact, I don't sense any other shards. . .the only ones left for us to collect are all gathered in one place," He cooed. Kikyo narrowed her eyes.



"Inuyasha," She hissed the name out like it was vile poison.



"Precisely," He whispered. "However, there IS one other person I haven't retrieved it from. . ." With a wave of his hand, a shadowed figure appeared from behind the flap door.



"Yes, Master Naraku," Kohaku's dull voice echoed through the cold room. The miko stared at the young boy with emotionless brown orbs. Then her gaze rested once more on the master of darkness. Well, second---she had to keep herself in mind, who was playing the role of the mistress.



"Kohaku, prepare the others, we strike tonight." Then turning to the scenery outside, he relished in the thought of seeing a certain demon exterminator's pain-stricken eyes. "I'm sure your sister wouldn't want to miss her own demise---especially if it's by your hands. . .or better yet, yours. Wouldn't you say, Kohaku?"



The boy's glazed eyes flickered for a split second with emotion, before settling back to its' darkened state.



"Yes, Master Naraku," He answered. With the answer, Naraku burst out laughing, the sound sent shivers through everyone's spines. Kikyo glared at him, her brown irises also searched the outside.



If Naraku will strike tonight, then so would she. And despite herself, she couldn't help but let a cold smile curl upon her lips as well.



'So, it will begin, and it will end tonight. . .' Her blood-red eyes narrowed, staring at the shoji screen door. Like everything else in the atmosphere, she was tense. Very. Her freedom, or her life would all be decided on the upcoming battle, and as the sound of Naraku's gathering army sliced through the thick tension, Kagura couldn't help thinking, that she was not the only one whose life was waiting to be altered.



Everyone's would be, including Naraku himself. For better or for worse, she'd rather not know. Her slender fingers tightened their hold on her fan.



Thinking back on Naraku's scheme to rid himself of his biggest 'threat,' he had unknowingly caused their ties to become stronger. She smiled, thankful for the dark shadows to conceal her pleasure.



She was partly responsible for the hanyou's blunder, and she took pride in any kind of rebellion she was able to inflict on her "master." As she had suspected, Kouga had rushed to Kagome's rescue, saving the girl from her endless fall into darkness and despair.



There was no doubt. . .he loved the young miko from the future. And now, Kagura was almost sure that she returned the affection as well. 'It's as plain as day. . .' Another thing she was quite pleased about was that Inuyasha had not broken under all of the events either. . .



Kikyo's betrayal, Kagome's disappearance. . .he had actually risen above it all and managed to prevail. And now that SHE was back, he was just as formidable as ever. Now with the unexpected appearance of Koga. . .



It seems as if Naraku was going to have quite the fight indeed. But. . .



Her smirk faded when she heard Kikyo's voice speak softly from the other side of the screen door. 'Nothing is as it seems,' the wind sorceress walked down the hallway, mulling over the undead priestess. Somehow, she suspected that Kikyo did not plan on simply being Naraku's doll. . .no, she didn't seem the type.



Though, Kagura had to admit the priestess was a superb actress, but the small glares, the momentary look of deviousness that crossed her face that could rival her master's. . .did not go unnoticed.



It made it difficult for her to figure out whose side the undead miko was really on. The last rays of the sun were disappearing over the horizon, bringing the dark blanket of night over the stars. 'She will reveal her true colors soon.'



~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The fire sent flickering shadows to the trees, and the dying embers gave a warm glow the members of the group. Everyone was fast asleep, Even Inuyasha, who after several complaints and much negotiation, agreed to let Kouga to stand guard.



"You're way too tired! Even I can see!" Kagome had nearly scolded him. Afterall, the earlier battle they had with the dragon youkai was nothing short of exhausting. Well, now there was only dead silence, and as the demon prine gazed around the camp, he had to admit that never in his entire life would he have guessed that he'd end up here, a part of this group.



Glancing beside him, he smiled softly at Kagome's sleeping form. And never would he have guessed he'd end up falling under this bewitching creature's spell. Kagome was safely snuggled in his tail, but she hadn't started off in his tail. . .She started off sleeping in her sleeping bag. But he had placed his tail near her for a purpose.



As the hours wore on, she had managed to find her way into his warmth, and gazing at her serene face now, all he could do was enjoy the sound of her calm breathing. That is, he WAS enjoying the peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< br />
A light buzzing sound echoed off into the distance, and the wind began to blow in a most ominous matter. Both Kouga and Inuyasha awakened from their deep slumber to the sudden shift in wind.



"I sense trouble. . ." Inuyasha growled, though noticeably groggy.



From his side, Kouga saw Kagome begin to thrash in restlessness in her sleep, as if in a nightmare.



"He's coming. . ." She muttered, "I feel his power, the jewel shards. . ."



"Kagome, wake up," Kouga urged, nudging her slightly on her shoulder. She slowly opened her eyes, grasping onto his silk tail in a death grip, and a look of alarm was etched on her face.



"Kouga. . ." She whispered. He brought a finger to her lips to silence her. Then he pointed to the sky, in which she complied to do. Sapphire eyes widened in shock, and a gasp escaped her delicate lips.



"Those insects. . ." Kouga muttered, almost in awe as hoard upon hoards of them flew by in a thick cloud. And not just insects, but demons as well.



"It's Naraku," Kagome stared at the dark cloud continued to drift over them shielding the moonlight until there was only eerie shadows to company them. She swallowed.



In an instant, Inuyasha had leapt down from his perch and unsheathed Tetsusaiga.



"Looks like he came a little earlier than expected," He growled. "Wake the others."



~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Crimson eyes glittered behind the white baboon mask. 'Doomsday has come. . .' He smiled malevolently. How he dreamed of such a day when he would see his hands bathed in each and every one of their blood. 'I will enjoy causing them pain.'



His army flew over them in dark shadows, and as they began to rouse from their sleep, completely surprised at his sudden appearance, Naraku could not help but gloat. Kagura and Kanna stood to his left, with Kikyo and Kohaku to his right.



Turning slightly to his mate, he whispered in a low and malevolent voice.



"Are you ready, Kikyo?" He purred, causing the miko beside him to open her eyes in cold malice. Her orbs flickered to where Inuyasha stood; the anger and bewilderment that adorned his features somehow brought her pleasure. She liked seeing him in pain.



"Oh yes, Naraku. . ." A smile crept upon her lips. "As ready as I'll ever be."



As the cloud descended slowly onto the ground, the Inu-tachi took their battle stances. He observed the rag-tag group through his mask, noting how, Inuyasha, and Koga seemed to jump protectively in front of Kagome. 'Slaughtering her will prove to be a major blow for them.'



Pushing away all devious plots for now, he focused his malicious greeting.



"It's judgement day."




Powerful wind blades rained down on the group, and they all quickly moved from the attack as Naraku descended. Eyes glared as the wind sorceress closed her fan, smiling at the desired greeting that she wanted to make.



Despite this, neither side attacked after that, and there was only left with prolonged silence as both sides faced each other.



The stage was set. The players ready. . .the air was thick with tension, and perhaps even more so with fear and anger. . .But the most apparent reason that bled through was hatred.



"So, you finally decided today's going to be a good day for you to die, huh Naraku?" Inuyasha growled, finally breaking the thick silence.



The darkened clouds still loomed overhead, only serving to make the hanyou's crimson gaze glitter even more madly than before. He smirked behind the mask.



"I decided it was a good day for YOU to die. . ." He examined all of them with relish 'How you will all fall. . .' "Yes, a good day for ALL of you to die. . ." His smirk grew even wider when his eyes rested on Kagome. "But of course, I wouldn't do that without getting the remaining jewel shards and showing you my power before doing so. . ."



Kagome moved to retort, ready to make the half-demon pay for all of the suffering he had caused her friends, when the wolf demon's form moved in front of her to stop the anxious girl. His face was calm, but his ice blue orbs flashed with warning, and hate.



Naraku laughed.



"You can protect the wench all you want, in fact you can all try. It will make no difference."



Inuyasha growled, taking a stpe further, and even Kouga's eyes glittered with fire.



"Talk is cheap!" He barked. "You're the one who killed half of my clan. . .their blood and the blood of hundreds of others are heavily stained in your disgusting scent." Kouga growled menacingly. "I'll kill you."



Naraku chuckled at this, and as his eyes widened in mad bloodlust, he raised a hand to motion his ready army.



"You can try. . ." With that, he signaled the demons to attack. They swooped down in dark clouds, the demons screaming and howling for blood. The Inu-tachi rushed to do battle, ready to give it everything they had within them to win, willing to sacrifice their lives if need be, and knowing that whoever emerged victorious would claim all



The final battle had begun.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



'The coward. . .' Kouga thought with disgust, his blade connecting with that of youkai flesh as another one of his minions disintegrated into dust.



Ice0blue eyes narrowed when he caught sight of Naraku at the farthest end of his cloud of demons. It made his blood boil to see him smirking behind that baboon mask. . .watching and waiting as the battle raged on. 'He truly is the hanyou that never sullies his own hands. . .'



Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Kagome giving everything within her she was able to give. Sacred arrows fired with brimming power, and he had to commend her on her aim. Kouga stayed close with her throughout the entire battle, making sure she didn't stray too far from his protection and ensuring that she was safe from harm. The kit was safely tucked in her bag and carried off by Kirara to a safer place---much to Shippo's protests. He was silently glad himself that he left his fellow wolves back at his castle.



The demon prince grimaced when one of the faster youkai managed to almost strike his side with its burly tentacles---almost. With a glint of his sword and a look of pure ice, he slew it mercilessly.



"This battle is being drawn out longer than it need be," He muttered coldly.



"Naraku likes the bloodshed. . ." Kagome responded bitterly behind him. Kouga nodded, turning to see how the others were faring in the raging war.



His attention fell on Sango and Miroku.



"HARAIKOTSU!" The taijya cried out, her boomerang slicing through rows and rows of demons. Blood rained the forest floor, followed by huge chunks of demon remains. Sango caught her weapon with ease as it came around a second time.



However, she was not satisfied. She clenched her teeth as a hundred more demons took the last row's place, and they were beginning to wear her out.



"Sango!" Miroku came to her side immediately, placing a hand reassuringly on her shoulder. Nodding, he quickly unwrapped his prayer beads, unleashing the Kazaana.



The youkai cried out in pure horror as they got sucked into the black void. The houshi holding his ground as they came crashing into his hand.



"Not so fast, monk!" Naraku chuckled from behind his dark cloud, protected by the demons that poured forth. With a toss of his hand, a black and yellow ball was thrown towards the battlefield. In a puff of smoke, hundreds of poison insects had appeared, and some were even fast enough to fly into Miroku's wind tunnel before he could even react.



"Miroku! NO!" Sango cried out. Wincing in pain, Miroku quickly put the prayer beads in place, kneeling onto the ground and clutching his hand.



"Stupid monk," Inuyasha landed by his side. "You know Naraku was going to pull that, he always does. . ." He growled. Miroku only gave a weakened smile.



"I can still fight. . ." He urged. "Only a few managed to get in. . ."



"No way, stupid! You're gonna stay right here!" Inuyasha spat, slicing a few demons that came their way. Sango dragged him to a safer spot.



"I have to agree with him. You mustn't let any of the poison spread."



Miroku winced, and nodded slowly.



"I'm sorry I cannot be of any more help. . ."



"Fools," Kouga's icy cold voice interrupted. "Time is of the essence, do not waste it conversing. Naraku is gaining the upper hand."



They jumped out of their little gathering when several of Kagura's wind blades aimed straight for them. Her crimson eyes followed their movements, showing neither mercy, nor satisfaction in her attack.



Inuyasha growled when he caught sight of her, but just as quickly, she was once again out of sight as another wave of demons came crashing down upon them.



"Damnit all!" He cursed, the wind whipping his silver bangs furiously in his face as he and the others slew their way through the next batch of youkai. "They just keep coming! If it weren't for that damn wind bitch I could slice through the wind scar and obliterate them all!" He clenched his teeth, his nose constantly searching for any signs of the wound of the wind but found none.



"No one said Naraku was going to make it easy on us," Kagome shouted as she let another one of her arrows fly, assisted by Kouga's electrical spikes as it tore its way through.



In a whirl of dust and wind, Kouga ran towards Kagura, a look of pure determination and something akin to vengeance etched on his face.



"Leave that bitch to me!" He growled, "I'll kill her so you can use your stupid Kaze no Kizu thing, AND get vengeance for my clan at the same time!" Before anyone could say anything, the wolf prince had already sped off with incredible speed into battle.



"No way he's getting all the glory. . ." Inuyasha grumbled, chasing after him.



Kagome watched with worried sapphire orbs as the two rash youkai rushed headfirst into danger. Her eyes followed up to Kagura, whose crimson eyes remained impassive even in the Inuyasha and Kouga's charge.



That was when Kagome saw it; the fleeting glance she sent to Kagome, a look of warning, even as she raised her fan to attack---Kagura was trying to warn them about something. The miko gasped in realization.



"KOUGA! STOP!" She called out to them. "IT'S A TRAP!"



"What?" But it was too late. Before he could get his claws on Kagura, she had swept her fan, blowing him backwards---right into a large imp demon who caught him with ease and held him firmly in place with its' burly arms.



"Hey! Let go of me, ya stinking bastard!" Kouga cursed, but the youkai did not slacken its hold. Inuyasha immediately rushed in to try to get Kouga out, but before he could do anything, an incoming tentacle knocked him aside.



"Agh. . ." He groaned painfully. Amber eyes blinked as he saw A miasma begin to appear, and Naraku stepped firmly onto the field.



"Time to reclaim what is mine. . ." He cooed, smirking firmly.



"You bastard!" Inuyasha howled, getting back on his feet immediately and preparing to leap back with renewed ferocity.



But it was cut off short when an arrow landed at his feet, it's purple glow boring a hole onto the ground.



"We're not finished yet, Inuyasha. . ." Kikyo's cold, malicious eyes glittered in bitterness as she watched the emotions play across the hanyou's face. Naraku smiled in satisfaction, turning his attention back to the wolf prince who still stood struggling.



Without warning, two tentacles struck out forcefully into his legs and pulled out the embedded Shikon shards.



Kouga cried out in agonizing pain, damning Naraku with every fiber of his being as the hanyou only smirked in pure satisfaction.



"Let him GO!" Kagome's voice cried out as her sacred arrow pierced through the imp's arms, and turning the rest of its' body to dust as she did so. The wolf prince grimaced as he fell with a painful thump onto the ground, the wounds from his leg bleeding profusely.



"Two down. . ." He whispered, eyeing Kagome's large piece of the Shikon Jewel with lust.



"Over my dead body," Kouga replied with a cool, yet threatening tone.



"That can be arranged. . ." The hanyou's voice dripped with deviousness. "But Before I get that one. . ." He smirked, his hand coming up in a silent command, and for a moment, all seemed quiet. The demons had stopped their stirring, only watching. . .waiting.



"What's. . ." Kagome gave a questioning look. The silence was making her nervous, and she much preferred the attacking demons.



She saw Sango stiffen noticeably and her eyes widen in fear and panic when she saw a shadowed figure stepping onto the scene.



"Kohaku. . ." Naraku called out to the boy, and like a mindless drone, he obeyed.



"Please no. . ." Sango whispered out helplessly, her eyes reflecting the torment and terror of knowing what he was about to do.



"Sango, careful. . ." Miroku warned. The hanyou laughed, amused at the taijya's situation.



"Does it pain you, Sango?" He purred mockingly. "If it does so much, I will have your brother here relieve you of your pain. You'll never have to see him die that way, my dear." He leaned down to whisper in Kohaku's ear, "Kill her."



A gentle flicker ran across his dull eyes before he charged forth, blade in hand and preparing to throw it straight at Sango.



"Kohaku, no! It's me, your sister!" She cried. But her pleas only fell on deaf ears, as Kohaku's blade came hurtling towards her.



"You fool! Fight back!" Inuyasha shouted. The taijya gritted her teeth as she barely blocked the blade with her haraikotsu.



Kagome watched as her friend tried her best to stay on the defensive side, and she wanted to help her more than anything. She could tell by the looks of the others that they wanted to help too. 'Why are we standing around? Sango needs us!'



She made a move to do just that, but a strong arm held her back. She looked up to meet intense icy-blue depths that gazed up at her warningly.



"It is the taijya's fight," Kouga said firmly. "If she does not settle this now, she will not be at peace. . ." Kagome could only bite her lower lip at his words, and he gave her a tight squeeze in reassurance. "She knew this day would come."



She glanced over to Inuyasha, and Miroku. A look of conflict adorned each and every one of their faces. They knew it was Sango's battle as well.



"Kouga. . ." She mumbled worriedly.



Sango was thrown on her back as the next hit of Kohaku's blade caused her to stumble backwards. Pure anger and seethed through her being when the sound of Naraku's sadistic laughter could be heard in the background. But just as quickly it was whisked away, as her brother's looming form came over her, the tip of his blade to her throat and his blank slate eyes locked with her tortured ones.



"Kohaku. . ." a choked sob passed her lips, and the look that overcame her almost suggested that she accepted her fate. For a single moment, she could've sworn that she saw the same little brother that she had embraced so long ago before he took his last breath.



"Forgive me. . ." She heard him whisper to her before his orbs went back to his void look.



"NOW can we help her?!" Kagome cried out in frustration.



"Sango's fight my ass, there ain't no way I'm gonna let her die for her stupid honor!" Inuyasha agreed, and crackling his claws, he swiped at the boy before he could slit Sango's throat.



He barely missed the boy by a hair, as he dodged out of the way, jumping away from his sister and staring blankly at the hanyou.



"Inuyasha! Don't kill him!" Sango scrambled to her feet and gasped for air, pleading the half-breed with her eyes as well as her words.



"Look, it's either HIM or US!" He bit out. She was about to retort when their attention was brought back to Kohaku once more, and Naraku's lingering words permeated the air to his servant.



"Finish her. . ."

Kohaku raised the blade, ready to carry out the orders, but before he could hurtle it towards her, his arm stopped within a millimeter of a second. He hesitated. Suddenly, a bright flash of golden light sent his weapon falling out of his hands and landing a few yards away from him.



Inuyasha and Sango turned around to see Koga standing again, a calm look of indifference of his face. 'Waste not an opportune moment.'

"Kouga you can stand?" Kagome's eyes flashed with surprise and happieness at the same time. Inuyasha just scoffed. "Well he is demon, Duh!"



Sango turned to her brother. Without his weapon, the dull look in his eyes seemed to have dissipated. Without warning, he dropped to his knees, confusion flickering across his freckled face.



"Sister. . .?" His eyes lifted to meet hers.



"Kohaku. . ." She came closer to the boy, her eyes beginning to tear up at the sight of her brother---her REAL brother. There was no doubt in her mind that he had regained control of himself when she looked into his brown orbs.



"Sister, what have I done?" He ran to embrace her, and Sango immediately went to do the same. . .but their reunion was cut short when Kohaku stopped dead in his tracks, a look of pure pain on his face and a cry of pure horror passed his lips.



A bloodied tentacle pulled itself out from his back, grasping the Shikon jewel from his back. Blood spilled from his wound, and the boy began to fall, unable to support himself.



"NOOOO!" Sango cried out in pure anguish, catching her brother before he hit the forest floor.



"Useless. . ." Naraku's cold voice sounded. All heads whipped around to face him. The tentacle retracted just enough so he could grab the shard, amusement and at the same time anger played across his features. "If he was only going to defy me, then what is the use of keeping him alive?"



"Sango. . ." Kohaku cried, tears streaming down his face as she cradled his head in her lap. "I remember. . ." He whispred. "I never thought, I had to die twice. . .and I'm still scared, Sango. . ."



"Shhh," She choked, kissing his forehead. "It'll be alright, little brother," She comforted, her falling tears betraying her words. "I'm so sorry. . ." Kohaku took one last rattling breath before his body became completely limp and still in her embrace, and all she could do was cling onto him desperately; as if she could keep his soul from leaving if she held on.



"At least you two were reunited," Naraku chuckled.



"You bastard. . ."



He looked up at the sound of the voice and was thoroughly surprised that it came from the young miko.



Kouga turned around to the girl beside him, his ice-blue eyes showing surprise as her aura flared dangerously in anger. Her whole frame trembled, her fists tightly clenched, and her bangs shadowed her eyes, but he was sure if she were to lift her gaze, her sapphire eyes wouldn't be anything less than frightening. 'Is this really Kagome?'



He could tell even Miroku and Inuyasha had never seen her so angry before, and inuyasha was at the receiving end of her 'Sits' too.



"You sick, demented. . ." She looked up at him, her eyes brimming only the tip of her anger. "BASTARD!" She screamed. Naraku laughed.



"My, little girls shouldn't curse. . ." He cooed mockingly. Kouga felt it, her rage was coming off in waves now, and he could hear Inuyasha mumble a "uh, oh."



"I'll curse you however I like!" She shouted angrily, and within a blink of an eye, she had her bow ready and an arrow out for a clean shot. "Take this!" She let it fly, and her aim would've been true as it whistled through the air in a pink streak.



Naraku's crimson eyes widened in panic for a second, before reacting within a split second. With a wave of his hand, he had called forth upon his waiting army of demons to protect him. However, they did no good, as the full extent of Kagome's arrow pierced through them all, and he only had a second's time to barely dodge the arrow as it landed squarely at his fee, dissipating the poison miasma as well.



"Bitch," he growled, sending forth more of his demons after them.



It was if their little interlude never happened, as the onslaught continued anew. However, this time they were short a couple of fighters.



With Miroku still recuperating from the poison and Sango rendered too emotionally hurt to fight, it was now just Kouga, Inuyasha, and Kagome.



"We cannot afford anymore casualties," The demon prince managed to bite out. "We just need to bring down that hanyou, and the rest will fall. . ."



"But these demons keep coming! If only I can-"Inuyasha stopped mid- sentence, his nose picking up a scent, and his eyes suddenly alert and sparkled with fire. "I can smell it!" he realized. 'The scraping of the wind. . . "The Wind Scar!" He shouted triumphantly.



Without a second to waste, Inuyasha slung his sword through the space of air.



"KAZE NO KIZU!" In a blinding heated flash, the hundreds of demons were obliterated, their bodies turning into ash and their cries dying in the deafening impact of pain.



"Yeah!" Kagome cheered, and Kouga remained indifferent by her side, but was equally impressed that Inuyasha managed to find it in time.



"Impossible!" Naraku scanned the field furiously, trying to find the source of his success. 'Kagura's wind should've prevented the wind scar from being visible!' He saw it. The arrow, the same one that Kagome had shot at him earlier, still glowing dimly. . . 'It disabled the wind!'



"Now it's you're turn!" Inuyasha smirked. "You're demons are gone, now it's time to finally face me. . ." He licked his lips in anticipation. "Prepare to die, Naraku!"



"Indeed," Inuyasha turned in surprise at the sound of the familiar voice. It was Kouga, right beside him, charging as well into battle. A momentary glance of recognition ran through them, and he only nodded. They were never closer.



Scary. Even for Naraku. Kouga struck at Naraku's side, and he managed to block it with a protruding tentacle. However, Inuyasha came from behind, and was about to strike him with his claws if he had not released a fuming miasma.



Their vision was blurred, they couldn't see the hanyou anywhere.



"AAAAAAAHH!" They whipped around at the sound of the screech, which sounded strangely close to Kagome's scream.



"Kagome!" The both cried out in unison, sprinting from the miasma only to see Naraku had her in his hold.



"Let her go!" Inuyasha growled. He only laughed at his words.



"You have something of mine. . ." He whispered into her hair, his eyes flickering over to Kouga and Inuyasha. "So I'm keeping something of yours. . ."



"I swear, half-breed, if you harm her I will rip your throat out," Kouga's eyes started glowing bright blue, a low growl emitting from his throat as he saw Kagome struggle against Naraku's hold. When he slid his hand around Kagome's pale throat, Kouga instinctively snapped his knuckles, making a tight fist, fangs bared and all.



"Calm down, I only want the jewel. . ." His hand reached down to the collar of her shirt, prying her shirt open where the jewel hung.



"KEEP YOUR DIRTY HANDS OFFA HER!" Inuyasha leapt forward, unable to watch any longer as he prepared to chop off Naraku's arms with Tetsusaiga and free Kagome.



His blade was just about to hit flesh when a sudden clang to his blade sent him reeling back. When he looked down at his sword, it had transformed back to it's original, rusty state.



"What the?" Amber eyes trailed to see. . . "Kikyo. . ." The string of her bow still vibrating from her shot, and a cold stare possessed her irises. She glared at him with a cruel smile.



"Do not forget that I am still here, Inuyasha." He could only stare at her, hurt and betrayed as well as brimming with rage---she wouldn't even allow him to go to Kagome, was this her way of getting back at him? Naraku smirked, pleased with his mate's performance.



"Now, where were we?" He cooed.



"Naraku. . ." Kagome growled, the sound unnatural coming from her human throat. He only smiled at her reaction.



"Let me relieve you of this. . ." He yanked off the jewel, the chain breaking with a small clink and held her tighter to himself. "And let me relieve you of your life. . ." His hand went up to her throat again, and she let out a strained gasp as he tightened his grip around her neck.



"I'll cut your throat!" Kouga, true to his word, swept in within a blink of an eye, and his claws were extended, ready to do just that. But Naraku was one step ahead of him, and raised Kagome a bit. Kouga stopped cold. 'The coward,' He growled. 'He's using her as a shield!'



"Afraid, Kouga?" He mocked, ignoring Kagome's struggles, and her curses. The demon lord growled dangerously. "Afraid I'll harm your one true love?"



"Shut your mouth, HANYOU!" He snarled, throwing caution to the wind and letting the hate in his eyes overtake him.



"NO! Kouga, stay back!" Kagome shouted, and the demon lord caught himself just in time before Kagome began to glow pink, and a bright flash blinded them all. When their vision finally came back, they blinked to see Naraku sprawled against a tree, his body scarred and his eyes bulging in anger.



Kouga felt a light weight on himself, and saw that Kagome had fallen on him.



"Kouga. . ." She mumbled, her voice tired. "Did I get him?" He took her by the shoulders and pushed her behind himself. No matter how glad he was that she was okay, he had to remember that the fight was not over.



"Kagome!" Inuyasha bound beside them, checking her over. "Are you alright?" She did not answer, instead, she focused on the hanyou, who was laughing insanely at the base of the tree.



"Fools," he looked at them with a look of pure hatred and malice. "You forget. . .The Shikon is mine. . ." He stood up to his full height, the darkened shadows increasing in his eyes. He was ready to absorb the jewel.



"No Naraku," His shadow dissipated as another arrow flew right at him, pinning him to the tree firmly and burning a hole in his chest. He struggled and gasped in pain, reaching for the arrow, but it crackled painfully upon his touch. Crimson eyes flickered over in alarm at Kagome, who stared at him in disbelief. Not a bow in sight.



'But if she did not do it. . .' A soul stealer whistled past him and picked up the dropped Shikon jewel. Confused eyes followed it as it dropped the jewel into the waiting hands of its' master.



"The Shikon is MINE," Kikyo finished coldly, her eyes sparkling in triumph.



"TRAITOR!" Naraku screamed in pure rage, and all Kikyo could do was laugh. Needless to say, he wasn't the only one surprised by her betrayal. Kouga, Kagome, and Inuyasha all stood dumbfounded as well. Was Kikyo their ally? Or friend?



"What's going on here?!" Inuyasha demanded for all of them. She smiled calmly, a sadistic smile that rivaled even Naraku's.



"Did you really think that I'd be your little doll, always by your side as if I was your faithful pet?" Kikyo started, her voice cold and cruel. "You should know me better than that, Naraku. . .I would never give myself to a lowlife like you. . ." She admired the jewel in her hand. "I can manipulate others too Naraku, I've learned from the best."



The hanyou struggled to get free from his binding, wanting with every fiber of his being to kill the undead bitch. 'How dare she.' She laughed at his futile attempts, turning to the trio.



"Inuyasha, I always get what I want," She smirked, and instead of giving them the jewel like they had hoped, she cupped it close to her chest, and it glowed a tainted violet. "Always. . ."



Kouga and Inuyasha turned with complete surprise and worry over to Kagome, who had begun to kneel over in pain, clutching her chest and gasping.



"Kou. .ga. . ." She gasped, but her cries were drowned out by Kikyo's cruel laughter.



"Kagome!"



They were thrown backwards as a strong force blew Kouga and Inuyasha back with the coming of a bright light. It spilled from Kagome's body, and they watched in shock as it left her body and entered Kikyo's.



"KAGOME! NOOO!" It wasn't until the last of the rays left her body and her body fell limp to the forest floor, eyes lifeless a dull grayish blue that they had realized. . .Kikyo had made a wish. . .



Kouga sped to her side, praying to the gods that she wasn't what he thought she was. Lifting her to his own body, he searched frantically for any sign of life. There was none. No pulse, no breath, no heartbeat. . .His eyes glowed blue.



Yes, Kikyo had wished for her soul back. She had been planning it from the start. She was just waiting until now for the opportune moment.

It was if someone was tearing out his heart, taking immense pleasure while twisting and clenching it as it bled to down his shirt. In a frenzied panic, he shook her body as if to wake her from a deep sleep...but it was no use.



Her eyes remained void of any life, a dull gray-blue instead of its' brilliant sapphire. In the background, the sound of Inuyasha's panicked and torn voice called out her name in deep worry. But Kouga paid no heed to it, for all that he could hear at the moment was a dull pulsing sound and the thought of Kagome.



'I won't let her die...' Ice-blue eyes trailed to the sword that pulsed at his side, and he felt a sense of hope and relief wash over him. 'There's still a chance...' Never, had he ever felt more grateful to his father for giving him the sword of life.



"Kouga," Inuyasha choked, as if he could tell what was running through Kouga's mind.



Slender fingers wrapped around the sword's hilt, drawing it and feeling the blade's pulses along with his own heartbeat.



'Kagome...' He thought, his holding his breath and narrowing his eyes at her lifeless form, he focused with his entire being for her own breath, and slashed the blade across her body.



Everything seemed to go in slow motion as the violet rays glowed brightly and soon died. The tension and anticipation was thick, and both Kouga and Inuyasha waited torturously for her to stir back to life.



'Kagome...' It seemed like an eternity, but it was finally realized...that the sword of life didn't work. 'Kagome!' Refusing to accept his failure, he slashed the blade across her body again. Still nothing.



"Useless blade," he growled, his grip tightening on the fang. "Why won't you bring her back to life?!" The sound of cold laughter brought their attention from Kagome to Kikyo, and low growls escaped their throats when she gave them a victorious look.



"Fools," She started, "In order for you to revive your precious Kagome, the body must have the soul..." Kikyo's hand went up to place it upon her chest, her body still glowing its' tainted violet. "A soul which now rightfully belongs to me. Kagome is dead, your blade won't work."



The sword was thrown aside in a clatter, and Kouga kneeled down to hold Kagome against him. His form was shaking from uncontrollably emotions...grief, so much grief and sorrow engulfed his entire being and pain.



But none other emotion seethed through him as much as anger. Angry at himself for not being able to protect her. Angry at Kagome for putting herself in harm's way. Angry at his father for giving him a sword that failed him in the only time that mattered. But most of all, he was angry at Kikyo for taking her away from him.



"Give her back..." he growled. She looked at him curiously, her smirk still adorning her face. Settling Kagome's body down gingerly, he stood up, turning to glare at her with Ice blue eyes and a flaring aura of unparalleled rage.



"Wench, give her back to me!" His fangs were now bared and he cracked his nuckles, electric sparks scattering to the forest floor.



"Worthless wolf, do you threaten me?" She mocked, her eyes glinting in malevolence that rivaled Naraku.



"Give her back!" Those were the only words that ran through his head, and he could feel the demon in himself rising, screaming for vengeance. Before she could blink, he had already sped at her with demonic speed, claws poised for her blood.



"Kouga!" Inuyasha shouted, but he couldn't be stopped. Kikyo's eyes widened in surprise, but even though she was human, she was still sharp, and managed to erect a barrier around herself. As Kouga's claws came down at her skull, it was forced back as they hit the barrier.



The wolf prince growled, but didn't slacken his determination for her life. Raising his fist once more, he gave a forceful slash, sending hundreds of sparked daggers flying at her. She winced momentarily at the blinding attack, but calmed when she saw that it was only pelting her barrier.



"Wolf, my barrier is impenetrable," She smirked. But perhaps too soon, as the barrier began to flicker and dissipate under the force of pressure of Kouga's fist. It disappeared altogether, and Kikyo let out a surprised as well as painful gasp as the daggers tore at her body.



"Nh..." Kikyo crouched on the ground, holding her arm that was bleeding profusely from a particularly good hit that Kouga managed to land on her. "So, this is what it's like to feel pain once more..." She muttered.



Looking up, she saw Kouga's towering form looming over her. His eyes holding no mercy.



"Bitch, I will have your blood," He snarled, and everyone on the battlefield could see that his cold, merciless façade was in place once more.



Kouga crackled his deathly claws, already feeling deep relish for anticipated tearing of flesh that was to come.



"WAIT!" The demon prince froze, his eyes fading it's blue glow as he slowly turned to face Inuyasha. He growled deeply, his claws still extended and ready to take her life with the flick of his wrist.



"Inuyasha, you would still defend her after she has taken Kagome's life?" He shook his head in disgust. "Then you should die with her."



"That's not it," His claws eased, and he looked at the hanyou patiently. "Please Kouga," He started, his voice stern and unwavering under Kouga's calculating gaze. "I need to know, for myself..."



Kouga narrowed his gaze, glancing hatefully down at the woman at the receiving end of his claws, then back at Inuyasha again. He didn't want to waste a single moment more...with each breath that passed Kagome's body was turning cold.



But as his gaze bore into Inuyasha's he saw that this was something he had to do...something he had to find out. He sent a growl at Kikyo, then backed off, shooting Inuyasha a look that said 'You better know what you're doing.'



Inuyasha nodded, watching intently as Kouga stepped past him and went once more to Kagome's side, but all the same still kept a watchful eye over them. Inuyasha took the moment needed, and stepped closer to the maiden that so tortured him.



"Why Kikyo?" Inuyasha whispered, his voice coming out in more of a croak as it trembled with rage as well as confusion. "WHY?! Why are you doing all of this, it makes no sense!" The hanyou watched as the she slowly stood up, ignoring hus wounds and staring at him intently with a serious frown.



"Do you remember Inuyasha? The day that you decided to break your vow to come with me to hell so you can be with HER?" She threw a disdainful look where Kouga still held her lifeless reincarnation.



"I realized something then," She continued, and he remained silent and at the same time tense to hear her answer. "As long as she was alive you would stay loyal to her." Inuyasha growled in angrily.



"So you went and killed her then? Is that it?!"



"No." She replied promptly. "That was not my reason. You see, I said that you were mine, Inuyasha. And I meant it. If I cannot have you in the next world, then I shall have you in this one."



"Kikyo..."



"Inuyasha..." Her cold eyes suddenly melted away to reveal emotional irises brimmed with hope and yearning. Gingerly, she took several steps closer to the hanyou, who made no move to step away, but only stare back in shock and confusion.



"I'm alive, Inuyasha," Kikyo whispered softly to him, "We can be together...at long last..." Her hand went up to touch the side of Inuyasha's cheek and tenderly caress it. Still he said nothing. "Can't you feel the warmth of my hand? I'm truly alive...as I was then."



Inuyasha closed amber depths. It was true, her touch was no longer cold to the skin, but warm and soft...his eyes opened once more. 'But it still feels empty, without any real emotion or love.'



"No, Kikyo," He breathed, and at the words she drew back her hand as if she was scorched with fire. "This is wrong...it's all wrong."



"What?!" Her eyes flickered with pain and confusion. "I thought that we..."



"I don't want this if it means losing Kagome!" He shouted at her, stepping away and turning his gaze at where the girl lay in Kouga's arms. "Don't YOU remember? That I told you that the Kikyo I loved died 50 years ago? our LOVE died 50 years ago..." His tone was regretful, and each of his words dealt a painful blow to her heart.



She staggered backwards, her eyes becoming hardened and her fingers curled into a tight clench of a fist.



"So, your heart no longer belongs to me..." She looked at him, and he was surprised to see tears streaming down her face. "It belongs to..." She looked at Kagome, and Kouga raised his tortured eyes to settle on hers as well, sending the message of pure hatred to her. Inuyasha swallowed.



"Yes."



Kikyo's whole frame shook with anger and betrayal.



"How could you...You betrayed me again Inuyasha!" She spat, but before Inuyasha could say otherwise, a low chuckle caught their attention. Everyone turned their gaze to meet with Naraku's shadowed form, still pinned to the base of the tree.



"Now you know how it feels...hurts, doesn't it, Bitch?" Naraku spat, his voice drenched in deep hatred and bitterness. His crimson eyes came to meet with hers, and he chuckled. "You made me think you were mine..." She glared at him.



"I was never yours, Naraku."



Naraku growled at her answer, and for a moment, something ran across his eyes--a seemingly unreadable emotion, but it was gone the next second.



"You've made yourselves quite the collection of foes, Kikyo..." He struggled against the arrow stuck in his chest. "I too, seek your blood for vengeance..." His hands went up to grasp the arrow, and upon seeing this, Kouga and Inuyasha prepared to slay the hanyou on the spot.



However, it was unnecessary, for the arrow scorched his hand with a fierce purple glow...and it probably did more than that. Naraku groaned out in pure pain as his own body seemed to flare out in anger, but to everyone's surprise, it seemed to dissipate and leave him...straight into the body of the arrow. He choked and grasped his chest tightly.



"Bitch...what've you...?"



"That's not the same spell I used on Inuyasha when I pinned him to a tree 50 years ago, Naraku." All heads turned to her once more, and she was wearing a rather malicious smirk. "No, that arrow is much more complicated. The spell I placed on you is slowly draining your life force away...in just mere moments you'll be a corpse..."



Naraku's eyes widened at her words, and he began to curse her every name imaginable and struggled to get free. But it only served to cause the arrow to grow even brighter, and he screamed out once more in pain.



"Do not waste your energy trying to get out, you are only speeding up the process with each movement that you make."



Inuyasha and Kouga looked over at the fallen hanyou and realized that her words spoke the truth. Naraku was looking paler than usual, and his eyes seemed to get duller by the minute. A sinister laughter broke the tense silence, and all knew it was Kikyo who was their real opponent in the end...



"I've heard enough," Kouga lashed out without a second thought, sending electric dagger coming down on her---but was blocked by her loyal soul stealers.



As the remaining pieces of the reptile youkai fell at Kikyo's feet she glared at him.



"You..."



"I will have my vengeance NOW!" Kouga extended out his claws, ready to strike. But Kikyo was just as fast, and in a second, she had already mounted a bow and fired. It missed him by a hair, and the demon prince was quick enough to avoid it.



"Damn, how the hell is she moving so fast?!" Inuyasha grumbled.



"It's the Shikon Jewel, it can enhance one's abilities do you not remember? And do not forget that Kikyo is still a formidable miko...one that rivals Midoriko," Sesshomaru explained, lashing out once more with his claws which only met with her barrier. "Though I suspect that the real reason is because she has Kagome's soul." He growled at the words.



"Kagome's soul?" Inuyasha inquired, drawing out Tetsusaiga. 'Of course...' he thought. Kagome's powers have been growing steadily, and he wouldn't be surprised if she had even more strength than Kikyo...but was just unable to unleash it. But now that she was a part of Kikyo...



"This has gone on long enough!" Inuyasha came charging at her, Tetsusaiga ready, and Kouga at his heels. "Your life is MINE! Kikyo!"



A smirk played across her lips, and if she had just connected with the Shikon's power, she moved with the speed of a youkai herself. Inuyasha and Koga landed with surprised looks, their eyes scanning the field for any sign of their prey.



"I will not be so easy to defeat..." Kikyo cooed. Their heads snapped around to see her right behind them, arrow aimed for their throats. When the she let it fly, they only managed to dodge it by an inch, the arrow creating a deep hole where they stood.



"Witch..." Kouga growled.

His breath came out ragged and strained as he could feel the life being sucked away from his slowly. Beads of sweat permeated his brow, and his inky black hair became matted to his forehead.



Before him the battle unfolded, Kouga and Inuyasha battling against the miko that dared to betray him. He winced at the jab of pain that shot through him. It hurt even to move, but it didn't hurt as much as the raging conflict inside of himself.



'How pathetic,' he thought, 'The infamous Naraku, dying like this...' His eyes locked onto the battlefield, and he noted to himself that Kikyo was indeed faster, more powerful from absorbing both the jewel and Kagome's soul.



'That power should've been mine.' He thought bitterly. His whole being ached again, but it wasn't from the arrow. He didn't want to die like this...deprived. He coughed, the taste of blood apparent on his tongue as he did so.



He was deprived of life...before and after he became Naraku. He was deprived of power, one which he had always dreamed of. Crimson eyes rested on the young reincarnation of Kikyo, Kagome.



How their eyes flashed in anger and worry...the demon prince and Inuyasha, when she fell lifeless to the ground. How their grief and love sang out to her when she did not stir awake. He was envious of the wench. She was loved.



He was deprived of love. 'How utterly pathetic,' he thought again, 'For one such as I to be envious of the miko because she is loved...' But it was true. Wasn't he in this predicament, because he had given into the voice within himself...Onigumo's voice, that yearned for Kikyo?



In the background, he could hear their intense cries as they tried to strike Kikyo, but she was proving to be more formidable than originally planned. Naraku struggled, the arrow grew brighter, but it did not outshine the hatred that he felt towards the traitorous woman.



'I will not be deprived of my vengeance...' He thought, and crimson eyes narrowed as he focused the last of his strength. He would get his revenge if it was the last thing he'd do, and perhaps it would be.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"She's fast for a human," Kouga growled, and Inuyasha grunted as one of her arrows hit the blade of his Tetsusaiga, turning it back to its' rusted state once more. Cursing, he threw his blade aside, right next to the sword of life...funny how in the end their greatest weapons proved useless.



"Inuyasha!" Kikyo shouted, "You WILL come with me! One way or another!" She reached behind her for another arrow, but her fingers only closed around air. Her brown orbs widened in panic.



"Should've thought of that first, wench!" Kouga lunged forward, his claws glowing golded-yellow with electrical power.



"Wolf, I'm not as weak as your precious Kagome!" She screamed, extending her hands and sending a searing white blast from her fingertips. Kouga fell backwards, crouching on the ground and glaring up at her with glowing icy-blue eyes. The pain that plagued his body did nothing to stray his anger.



"You are the one who is weak...if you require the Shikon and Kagome's soul in order to defeat us..."



"It was my soul first! Kagome's dead! Accept it!"



"NEVER!" Both Inuyasha and Kouga cried out. The wolf prince struck first, but she barely managed to dodge the blow; his claws instead tore at the sleeve of her kimono. Inuyasha came right after, claws out, but he could tells she was going to get away from her movements.



Or at least, she could've dodged it...



"W-What?!" From out of nowhere thick, burly tentacles shot out from the ground, wrapping around her frame tightly and rendering her motionless.



A searing white pain struck through her, and her eyes widened in shock as she looked down at her bloodstained chest. Clawed hands were delved deep into her, and she could feel his fingers grasping around her heart.



She looked up at to meet with Inuyasha's amber gaze...a gaze that surprisingly held no hatred, anger, or satisfaction...just regret. Behind her, she saw that the tentacles had extended from Naraku's own body...she turned her attention back to the hanyou that was the reason behind all of her actions.



"I-Inuyasha..." She whispered, blood running down her lips. He did not turn away as he retracted his claws.



"Your life is mine...Kikyo..." He watched as she fell backwards. Catching her in his arms, he cradled her, staring as the tears streamed silently down her face. And for the first time in fifty years, he saw her smile in complete contentment.



"Thank you...Inuyasha...I will wait for you..."



Her words became a whisper of wind as her body disintegrated into a fine dust, carried by the wind. A bright light was released, streaking into the midnight sky and leaving only Kikyo's priestess clothing in Inuyasha's hands.



Inuyasha nodded slowly, then quickly turned to where Kagome lay. Kouga was already by her side, and the pure rays of light that was Kagome's soul slowly returned to her body.



The watched with baited breath, as her body glowed a pinkish glow, and the light soon died. Their patience was wearing thin, and the anxiety was beginning to eat away at them.



"Is she...alright?" Inuyasha asked.



Kouga gingerly took her into his arms, and felt a huge wave of relief engulf him when he felt the warmth of her body instead of the previous ice. Blue eyes traced the features of her face, and he tucked a wayward strand of hair that fell into her eyes.



"Kagome..." He called out to her gently, caressing her cheek as if to wake her from a deep sleep.



Their eyes widened when she let out a soft moan, and slowly, she opened her sapphire eyes and blinked. She glanced at Inuyasha, then at Kouga, and smiled weakly.



"Kouga..." She whispered. Unable to contain himself, he crushed her body close to his own, and held her as if afraid to lose her once more. He was so afraid he would never get to see her sapphire irises ever again...



"Hey...I'm alright," She giggled, her arms wrapping around him as well. Still, he did not slacken his hold.



"Quit hogging her Kouga!" Inuyasha's rough voice called out. That made him hang onto her even tighter. Eventually, Kagome pried herself from the wolf prince, and allowed Inuyasha to look her over as well.



"Man you really had me freaked..." The hanyou said playfully. She nodded, her eyes shining apologetically.



"I know," She started, her voice soft. "I saw how mad the two of you got!" Kagome was helped to her feet, and she watched as the two of them gave her curious looks.



"You SAW us?" He asked. Kagome nodded once more.



"I thought I was a gonner when my soul left my body..." She went over to the spot where Kikyo was slain. The Shikon jewel---whole and glowing a tainted purple, lay in the area. She crouched down next to it.



"But I didn't really die...I was just a part of Kikyo..." Her sapphire eyes turned to them. "I could see everything that she was seeing, feel everything that she felt...But..." Her gaze was broken off to stare at the jewel. "I couldn't do anything...I was watching the whole thing and I couldn't do anything..."



Gingerly, Kagome picked it up and the jewel instantly became purified.



"I felt so useless..." Her eyes became shadowed by her raven bangs. "I can never help in the end..." A clawed hand gripped her shoulder comfortingly, and she looked up to meet with Kouga's intense gaze.



"That is not true."



She smiled, and nodded, her attention on the jewel in her hand.



"I'm sorry, Inuyasha...about Kikyo I mean."



"Don't be," He chided. "Like I said, she died a long time ago...I'm just glad you're okay," Inuyasha said sincerely.



"Well, I think I have Naraku to thank for that," She admitted. Kagome's eyes fell on a figure slumped against a tree across the battlefield, his form limp and pale.



Standing, Kagome cautiously approached him.



"Kagome, careful," Kouga warned, not eager to have her in danger once more.



"Relax, guys..." She peered at Inuyasha as well to make her point. "I don't think he'll have the strength to do me any harm...besides," Kagome took several more steps. "Something's different about him."



When her shadow loomed over him, Naraku showed signs of stirring. Slowly, he opened crimson eyes to look at the girl before him.



"Miko..." His voice was course and dry. She kneeled down in front of him.



"Naraku," She called out his name, and he growled.



"Come to laugh at me before I die?" He spat. "Just kill me now..." But she only stared at him.



"You used the last of your life, your energy to save me..." Naraku refused to meet her gaze. "Why?" He scoffed at her.



"Do not think so highly of yourself, I merely wanted revenge against that undead bitch," Was his bitter reply. "At least I will have that much before I leave."



Kagome only continued to stare at him, and for the time, Naraku felt even more vulnerable than he already was under her gaze.



Sapphire eyes bore into him, as if reading his soul, and her eyes began to soften as a sudden feeling of pity washed over her for the man before her.



Here was someone who was pulled into the darkness and chaos because of desires and dreams that he could not fulfill in his past life. Here was someone who had sought comfort in the suffering of others to ease his own suffering. Here was someone who was tricked into thinking he was loved...only to feel the bitter taste of betrayal.



A tear slipped from her eye, and Naraku looked up in surprise when he saw the crystal teardrop fall from her irises.



Here was someone who only wanted to belong.



"Naraku...It must be so hard for you..." He sat there, stunned at her words, and even more stunned when she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and gave him a loose hug. Kouga and Inuyasha were stunned as well, but Kouga made no move...Inuyasha on the other hand was sputtering in confusion.



"What's this?" Naraku breathed. "Could it be that...you're showing me sympathy?" He looked up at her, "Sympathy for the Devil?" Kagome remained silent, and she continued to just hold him. Her form began to glow a bright pinkish glow, and it soon engulfed himself as well.



Naraku could feel the warmth flow through himself, and for the first time in his entire life, as Naraku or Onigumo...he felt at peace. He closed his eyes, and a smile graced his pale lips.



"So...this is what if feels like...to be blessed with your kindness..."



When the light finally died out, Kagome stepped away from Naraku's now lifeless body. Kouga and Inuyasha stood beside her, and they stared down at their long-time enemy.



"What did you do to him?" Inuyasha asked. She smiled weakly and closed her eyes.



"I purified him." She answered. She turned to look at them. "Let's go back to Kaede's."



And with that, they left the clearing of their final battle, leaving behind only remnants of pain and loss and starting the beginnings of rebuilding the future.

The morning rays filtered through the tree's rooftops, casting dancing shadows as the wind blew through the swaying trees.



Overhead, the sound of melodic birds singing in the brisk air could be heard, seemingly in tune with the joy that the dark, looming storm had passed, only to be replaced with blue skies and drifting clouds.



A yellow flower firmly grasped in her hand, Sango delicately placed it on her brother's grave beneath a cherry blossom tree beside the rest of her slain kin. A lone tear streaked down her flushed cheeks and her brown orbs closed ever so lightly.



"Rest in peace, little brother..." She whispered sadly, and yet a small part of her felt happy that he was at last free from the pain and suffering that was bestowed upon him. And that small part allowed the tiniest of smiles to grace her trembling lips.



"Sango...I'm really sorry that we couldn't save him..."



The taijya turned around to face the monk, who was watching her intently with violet depths. She wiped away the tear hastily and shook her head.



"No, there was nothing more I could do for him," She replied. Miroku shook his head, and approached her carefully, taking her by the shoulders. She turned her gaze downwards, blushing.



"Sango, you know as well as I do that we could've used Kouga's sword, the sword of life, to revive your brother," He said gently. "He himself even offered to do it for you." Miroku added, a bit of surprised hinted in his voice.



Needless to say, they had never expected in a million years for the demon prince to show compassion or offer any kind of comfort in their entire lives. 'He really has changed...'



His attention was still focused on the demon exterminator, whose gaze now looked longingly over to the flowers that lay on Kohaku's grave.



"I know..." She started. Miroku placed a hooked finger under her chin, forcing her eyes to meet his. His voice was gentle and his stare soft.



"But?"



Sango sighed.



"But even if Kohaku were alive...he would still have to live with the burden of knowing he slaughtered all of his kin." Her brown orbs began to well once more with tears that threatened to fall over. "I remembered how tortured he looked at me before he left...it was tearing him apart..."



Miroku's eyes widened as Sango buried her face into his robes, her tears beginning to bleed through the fabric.



"It was the reason he was with Naraku in the first place...because he didn't want to remember..." Miroku rubbed soothing circles on the small of her back, for once not even thinking of having his hands go any lower than need be. Instead, he simply held her, and hushed softly into her hair as she began to hiccup with her sobs.



"I...didn't want Kohaku to suffer..."



"Shhhh, I understand, it was probably for the best," He pulled her from his embrace and she gave him a teary and yet grateful look. "Now that Naraku is gone...it is time for us to start over...start a new life..." Miroku averted his violet gaze from Sango to his hand.



She followed his eyes as well, staring at the now bare hand...prayer beads were no longer wrapped around it, his hand was completely free and devoid of the kazaana, save for a small scar that remained. Miroku let out a sigh.



"It feels so strange..." He began, "I was beginning to fear that I would die the same way my father did..." Warm hands covered his own, and he lifted his gaze to meet with Sango's kind eyes. She smiled softly, she blushed prettily when Miroku's fingers curled around her own.



"Like you said, Miroku...let's put it all behind us and start a new life..."



"Yes," He grasped her hand with both hands now, staring intensely into her eyes. Sango's blush grew redder, but she didn't avert her gaze. "Let us start a new life, together..."



"Miroku..." Her voice was laced with shock and her heart began to beat a hundred miles per hour. 'Could it be?'



"That is, if you could ever put up with a lecher like me," He added with a small smile, his eyes flashing a hint of playfulness. He watched as the tears began to fall, and he gently wiped them away.



"Of course, Miroku...but as long as you're with me, you won't be a lecher for very long!" She smiled, hugging him tightly.



"Aw, my dear Sango, not even if it's just you and me when we're..."



"Don't even finish that."



Miroku chuckled, and held her tighter.



"If only the others would have their feelings resolved as easily as we did ours..." Sango looked up to see a look of seriousness pass over his face once more, and she sighed.



"Are you talking about Kagome?" She inquired, earning a nod from him.



"It seems Lady Kagome has herself caught in between Inuyasha and Koga ...and both seem intent on keeping her for himself," Miroku looked off to the village, where Kagome and the others were. .



"It's very plain to see now that Kagome does indeed hold feelings for Kouga." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sango pace to the other side of the clearing, her arms crossed.



"Well, I never thought I'd say this...but I think her being with Kouga is best..." She said barely above a whisper.



"And why do you say that?" He asked her curiously.



"I don't know...I mean Inuyasha loves her a lot, that much is obvious...but I just can't stand it if she gets heartbroken again." The taijya turned to face the houshi, a fire flickering in her orbs. "Even if he does say that he's over Kikyo, there will always be a small part of him that sees her in Kagome...That will always hang over them in their relationship."



"True," Miroku reasoned. "But Inuyasha DOES love Kagome. Who knows?"



"Besides...I think that with Kouga, I can rest easy knowing that he'd protect her."



"How can you be so sure that Kouga loves Kagome in return?" He asked. Sango rolled her eyes at this.



"It's as plain as day!" She raised her voice. "She should be with him!" She said as if it was her final statement, her tone holding an air of resolution. "And we should help them!"



"Sango, it's Lady Kagome's decision, not ours..." He stood up and walked over to her, his robes swishing with each step. "We shouldn't meddle..."



"Who's meddling? We'll just steer her in the right direction..." He gave her a 'get real' glare...and she pouted. "Can we just talk to her at least?" She pleaded. "Kagome seems so confused, and she's not the only one." Miroku could feel his resistance falling upon seeing her puppy dog eyes.



"Alright, but we'll only talk to them. You can go and talk to Kagome, and I'll talk to Kouga and Inuyasha."



"Talk...to Kouga?" She tilted her head to the side.



"Okay, attempt to talk to him at least."



She nodded, and with that, the started walking back to the village in search for their friends.




Down the dirt path, Kouga and Kagome walked quietly together. Their thoughts on feelings on the final battle as well as each other.



"I'm just so relieved that this is all over, and that the jewel is complete..." Kagome sighed, taking out the Shikon jewel from her pocket. Kouga eyed the little orb warily. A question nagged at him.



"The undead priestess," Kagome turned to the sound of his voice, "She had made a wish upon the Shikon...why did it not disappear?" He asked stoically. She turned attention back to the sphere in her hands, and smiled.



"Because the Shikon will only cease to exist if the wish made upon it is be an unselfish one." Curling her fingers around it, she tucked it safely away once more. "Kikyo wanted her soul back for herself, so the jewel still remains."



Kouga nodded in understanding, and yet something still nagged at him. 'Inuyasha wants to use it to become full demon...' He looked at her, 'Will she give it to him in the end?'



As they neared the hut, Kagome called out to him.



"Kouga, I can tell something else is on your mind. Care to share?" She smiled warmly. The wolf demon hesitated for a moment, then spoke.



"Naraku..." She froze. "How is it that you can be so forgiving, even after all that he has done to your friends and yourself?" He asked stoically. It still eluded him how this one girl could forgive and forget so easily. She sighed, then turned sapphire irises to meet with ice-blue depths.



"Because everyone deserves a second chance." She answered. "I always keep that in mind for everyone that I meet..." kouga could feel his breath hitch...as she stared at him, he realized that she was trying to say that she gave him a second chance as well.



"After everything that has happened, I've come to see...that a part of everyone...just wanted to be accepted." Sapphire eyes turned upwards to the blue sky, a smile gracing her lips.



"It's hard...living in a world where so much hatred and ridicule divides everyone...Naraku...Inuyasha, Kikyo....they all just wanted to belong somewhere."



The wind blew gently, playing with their midnight and raven locks. Kagome looked intently at Kouga, who returned the soft gaze with wonder and amazement.



He was amazed that this girl had such a pure soul and compassionate heart. She had the rare ability to see the best in everyone, to find even the smallest ray of light in the darkest of souls; to touch everyone with her endless ability to love, and yet asked nothing in return but to see others happy.



Kuoga smiled gently at her. Afterall, had she not done so with him? Is that not the reason why he fell in love with her? Kagome smiled at him in return, then entered the hut, her look of contentment leaving her face and was instead replaced with a frown. Kouga followed her, feeling the tension and sad aura build as well.



Ice-blue eyes watched intently as the young girl picked up her belongings and stuffed them in her giant yellow bag. Her movements were calm and relaxed, but seemingly slowed as if she were hesitant to be doing what she was. He could sense her tense aura, and he could even smell her nervousness in her scent.



To be honest, it bothered him greatly to see her packing as well. Kagome had remained silent throughout the whole thing, he they both knew...she was packing to leave...back into her era. It wasn't spoken, but he knew it to be true.



The demon prince suddenly felt regret that Naraku had been defeated, for it meant that their journey was over. Which meant that Kagome had no reason to remain...



She had not left yet, and already he felt the emptiness fill him. 'A life without Kagome...' Already he did not want to imagine living without ever hearing her laughter, seeing her smile, feeling her warmth or basking in her intoxication scent.



With every fiber of his being...he prayed he'd never have to know.



As if reading his troubled thoughts, Kagome stopped what she was doing and turned around, her sapphire eyes probing the wolf demon.



"Kouga?" He nodded in acknowledgment at her voice, his gaze softening.



"You're leaving..." He plainly stated, the emotion still hidden from her. Kagome didn't turn away, nor did she resume packing. Instead, she stood up and walked closer to him. Her sapphire irises bore into his own ice blue ones.



"Probably..." She started. "Well, at least I'll be out of your hair, hehe?" Kagome smiled weakly, trying to lighten the mood. Kouga just stared at her in shock. 'Does she even care?'



"Kagome..." His voice was low and husky, sending shivers down her spine. "I don't..." He felt as if the words were caught in his throat, but he couldn't deny it. "I don't want you to leave..."



He could hear her heartbeat quicken, and her scent spiked with her anticipation. He saw so many emotions flash across her beautiful orbs, regret, sorrow, hope, kindness, and something else that he couldn't identify and yet still made his heart feel like it was melting.



She was so close to him now, only a mere feet separated their bodies. Slowly, she lifted her hand to caress his cheek, and he closed his eyes, reveling in the feel of her touch.



"Give me a reason to stay..." She whispered. His eyes opened to stare deeply into hers, shocked to see that she was almost pleading him.



Kouga wanted to kiss her right then and there, giving her reasons to last her a lifetime if only she would remain with him.



But before he could usher the first one, the flap door opened, and both jumped back as if they had touched fire. Their eyes bolted to the doorway, only to see a wide-eyed hanyou staring at them. His amber eyes flickered with several emotions before he turned away, his voice and his amber orbs seemingly calm.



"Hey, Kagome. Sango wants to speak with you," He said casually, as if he hadn't interrupted a moment at all. "She's waiting outside."



Kagome nodded, unable to hide the furious blush that now stained her cheeks. She apologized to Kuoga and brushed past Inuyasha on her way out of the hut.



Kouga watched her retreating back, but did not miss the look Inuyasha shot at him before he too left, a look that spoke of jealousy, possession, and warning. Kouga growled...



Even though the final battle had been fought and won, another would start, it would seem. The fight for Kagome's heart.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Kagome!" The older girl ran up to her, and Kagome waved amiably in greeting. "I've been looking all over for you."



"What for?" She asked curiously. The taijya gave her a knowing smile, and took her by the arm, taking her into the village market.



"I just wanted to talk, we never seem to do that anymore."



Kagome gave her a questioning look, but just shrugged. As they strolled down the path, greeting passing villagers, Kagome was beginning to feel that the there was something that Sango wanted. Before she could ask what it was, the older girl had gone straight to the point.



"Kagome, how do you feel about Kouga?" She said rather bluntly.



>blink<



"Huh?"



"Oh, don't give me that...Lord Kouga. How do you-"



"I heard what you said, Sango." She quipped, earning a small giggle from the taijya.



"Well?"



"Ano...well, I..." Kagome struggled with her words and even more so with her tongue. The question had fallen on her like a ton of bricks and now she could feel her cheeks burning as all of her thoughts on the matter of the wolf demon surface.



"I guess he's okay..."



"Okay?" Sango's tone was flat, knowing that full well there was more to that and she gave Kagome a look that promised blackmail if she didn't tell the truth.



"Okay, I like him...a lot..." She mumbled the "a lot" part and turned away blushing. Sango smiled.



"Why do you like him? I mean, he's a cold, emotionless, bloodthirsty-"



"He's not bloodthirsty!" Kagome protested, quick to defend the wolf prince. "And he's not cold, OR emotionless, OR merciless, OR anything else you might say about him!" She continued, with such a fire and passion in her eyes that it rather surprised Sango.



"I know he might seem like it on the outside...but there's a heart underneath all of that ice." Kagome's eyes suddenly began to spark wistfully. "People just don't give him a second glance before labeling him a bloodthirsty demon. He might act, cocky, arrogant and cold, but no one understands him..."



"And you do?" Sango asked gently. Kagome sighed, her cheeks beginning to blush her cherry shade.



"I understand that he's been through a lot of pain in his life to have caused him to become what he has. But if you take the time to look, he's really kind, and caring...when he wants to be, that is. He can be really sweet too..." She smiled at a memory that came to her mind, "Like when Inuyasha had left me for Kikyo...I had never imagined that a demon prince so dangerous could be so gentle."



Her blush grew, as she held her hand over her now rapidly beating heart.



"Kagome...you love him, don't you?" Sango whispered gently, her voice not holding an air of surprise, but rather truth. Kagome did not return her gaze, but nodded all the same, her spirit suddenly feeling lifted at finally revealing her secret to someone.



"What of Inuyasha?" Sango asked cautiously, waiting with baited breath for Kagome's answer. The miko took a deep breath, and let her hands fall to he side. They came to a hill, and Kagome seated herself on the grass, motioning for the older girl to join her.



"I loved him too," She admitted, but her voice held no guilt. "I can't deny that...When I'm with him, I feel happy and sad at the same time...He's given, and at the same time taken so much from me...He taught me how to love, and he taught me how to cry...And there's no one that can replace him," She said softly. Sango remained silent, letting the miko finish.



"A part of me will always love him. But there's only one person who could ever make me feel complete...and I know you might think me fickle for falling so quickly for someone else so soon. But..." She turned to the taijya, her sapphire pools swirling with emotion.



"Do you think it's wrong to feel this way?"



Sango smiled, grasping her best friend's hands in her own.



"I don't know, Kagome. Do you feel like it's wrong?"



Upon hearing her words, Kagome knew without a doubt...never in her life had she been so sure. She smiled as well.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"So, you do then?" Miroku concluded, gazing intently at the demon prince on the other side of the clearing.



It had not been easy getting the proud, cocky demon prince to talk. He had spoken to Kouga knowing full well that his life was at risk if the demon became even the slightest irritated in him.



But surprisingly, Kouga had conversed with him...somewhat, but he had gotten enough proof he needed to draw his conclusion that the demon prince did indeed, fall in love with Kagome.



Kouga remained silent, not answering the monk, but Miroku knew, upon one look into Kouga's proud eyes that he had spoken the truth. Deciding not to push the matter further, Miroku began his trek back to the village.



As he passed the wolf demon, Miroku gave one last piece of advice.



"She won't be waiting forever, Kouga. Tell her before it's too late."



Kouga watched as the monk disappeared from view, feeling a whole new sense of respect for the human, and taking into affect his words. As the day quickly turned to night, Kouga gazed longingly up at the nearly visible moon. 'Kagome.'



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Atop the Goshinboku tree, a lone hanyou kept amber eyes glued to the darkening sky above. His thoughts and his heart raging within himself.



'Kouga...and Kagome?' He still had a hard time accepting that...he still didn't accept it. But, when he saw them in the hut earlier that day...the look Kouga gave Kagome, the way she caressed his cheek...



He growled deeply, his fist clenching tightly by his sides. His whole being seethed with anger and jealousy. As of late, he knew he had mended little by little the broken relationship he had with Kouga, maybe even started to respect him.



Inuyasha had, for Kagome's sake, buried the hatred he had for Kouga and became allies with him in the final battle. But now that it was all over and done, now that Kagome was so close to leaving and yet at the same time leaving...the hatred was beginning to resurface once more.



'She loved me once...' He thought, and his amber eyes hardened with resolution. 'I won't lose her again...'



Jumping down from his perch, he started for the village, his heart beating in anticipation at his decision. He would win Kagome back before Koga got to her first.



The leaves danced with the soft breeze, and Kagome watched in wonder at their movements. She let out a heavy sigh, her heart constricted and her stomach felt like it had a million butterflies in it. She was still sitting on the hill, her mind fixated on the demon prince that she had grown to love and care for so much.



And now...she smiled to herself at the thought...now she was ready to confess.



So lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice the soft footsteps approaching. And not until the soft call for her name was ushered that she looked up from her musings to meet amber eyes and a warm smile.



"Inuyasha?"



"Kagome," He whispered, coming closer to her and joining her atop the grassy hill. She stood up at his arrival, dusting off her skirt and looked at him questioningly.



"What is it?" She asked him gently. Inuyasha didn't remove his eyes from her, and she was beginning to get nervous under his gaze. "Um, Inuyasha?"



"I'm glad..."



Kagome looked up in surprise. Not fully comprehending what he was trying to say.



"Glad?"



He nodded.



"I'm glad...to have met you Kagome..." His gaze averted to the moon that hung overhead, casting off it's silver glow to the forest below. "Do you remember when we first met, Kagome?" She didn't know where he was taking the conversation, or why he was talking to her in such a soft voice, but she answered anyway.



"I'll never forget it."



"I tried to kill you then..." He continued, his tone full of guilt. "I hurt you so many times...And yet you still stayed by me..."



"Inuyasha..."



"Kagome, I've realized now that I've taken you for granted so much before. But I promise, it won't be like that from now on...I won't hurt you ever again!" He said with such a fire and determination in his amber depths that it surprised Kagome.



Before she knew it, he had taken her roughly by the shoulders and was mere inches away from her face. She looked up at him, her heart beating furiously in her chest.



"Kagome..." He whispered. "I want you..." Her eyes widened, "To be..."



'Oh god, please don't say it! Please, not now, please God no...Inuyasha please don't do this to me!' She panicked, as Inuyasha leaned closer and closer. She wanted to push him away, to stop him from finishing the sentence and condemning them both. But she couldn't move, couldn't speak as she stood there completely paralyzed in his embrace. 'This is wrong, it's all wrong...'



"I want you to become my mate."



He leaned in to claim her lips, his face coming ever closer to hers...and Kagome still couldn't move, but she could not stop the tears that now burned scorching trails down her cheeks.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Kouga felt his heart shatter to the seven winds, his chest clenched painfully as his ice-blue orbs remained unable to tear away from the scene that met his eyes.



He had been lost in thought, only allowing one name to echo in his mind...Kagome. He had been intent on letting her know now or never that he loved her...loved her with everything that he was and everything that he never thought a demon was capable of.



He was almost excited, eager to confess to her before it burst inside him...



But in an instant all of his hopes had shattered at first sight of Inuyasha's and Kagome's silhouette on the hill beneath the moonlight.



It all played before him torturously slow...he heard every word, ever emotion...



"I want you to be my mate..."



Inuyasha had whispered to her. And it tore at himself even more when he saw her made no move to protest, to push him away...anything to prevent him. And now Inuyasha was going to claim her first kiss. He couldn't watch.



He closed his eyes, shutting them out and feeling the full extent of loss...He had lost Kagome, the only thing he had ever cared, loved, wanted and needed in his entire existence...and he had lost to Inuyasha...again.



Turning from the scene, he decided that he was right in the first place all along. Love was a weakness, a hopeless folly. He cursed her for making him vulnerable to it, and he cursed himself for falling victim to it all.



And yet, before he left, he could not help but let a lone tear slip from his icy irises for the first time in his entire life...and yet, strangely at the moment, he didn't care.



Giving one last longing look to her, he whispered to the winds...hoping that she would hear them all the same...



"Farwell, my Kagome..."




The night had turned suddenly cold, and the moon suddenly distant and pale. At least to the wolf demon that now gazed sadly at it with molten ice-blue eyes.

'She's like the wind, through the trees

She rides the night next to me'





He wished he were numb…numb from this tortured feeling called love that he had so foolishly fallen victim to when he had spent so much of his life building a barrier to protect himself from it.

'She leads me through moonlight

Only to burn me with the sun

She's taken my heart

But she deosn't know what she's done'





But as soon as his eyes had met with hers all of his walls had crumbled and Koga found himself hopelessly falling...hopelessly drowning in her sapphire pools of beauty, and not able to do a damn thing about it.

'Feel her breath on my face

Her body close to me

Can't look in her eyes

She's out of my league'



Turning from the moon, he let ice-blue depths fall onto the bone eater's well…Koga wanted to growl, and destroy the blasted thing…perhaps wanting to inflict pain on the girl for making him feel this way. But he found himself just staring sadly at it. `I could never hurt her…' He thought with a melancholy ache. `I'd sooner die than see her unhappy.' His face remained impassive as he continued to stare at the well, but inside, his soul felt like it was being torn in half.

'Just a fool to believe

I have anything she needs

She's like the wind

Am I just fooling myself

That she'll stop the pain

Living without her I'd go insane'







He scoffed. `She was human, I was demon. It could never be…' He reminded himself of one of the reasons he had sworn not to care for ningens. Their life spans.



'I look in the mirror

and all I see Is a young

old man with only a dream'



No matter what they say, or how much they wished…it was the unmistakable truth that humans lived only in the blink of an eye compared to a demon. There was no way to deny it, no way to prolong their life…no spells, enchantments, or magic could make them live longer. If there was, Koga knew his father would've done so for Inuyasha's mother, Izayoi, long ago.

'Am I just fooling myself'





`It's foolish falling for a human…it brings nothing but pain.' A cold voice whispered in his head.

'That she'll stop the pain'





Icy-blue eyes softened as his nose picked up her gentle cherry blossom scent from the well.

'Living without her I'd go insane'



But…he didn't care…The moment he gazed into her sapphire orbs and received one of her warm smiles; he was willing to risk a lifetime of unhappiness if only to hold her in his embrace for the remainder of her lifetime.

'Feel her breath on my face

Her body close to me

Can't look in her eyes '



He smiled inwardly at the aching thought. Koga knew he would've cherished every waking moment he'd spend with her…even content with living only with her memory if only to be reminded by their pups that she would leave behind when she was gone.

'Just a fool to believe

I have anything she needs

She's like the wind '





Gods, he loved her…and he had lost her before he had even begun…





`But I want her happy…' Kouga closed his eyes, seeing only her face in the dark recesses of his mind. Silver whips formed at his feet, as he began to take demon form. He would leave her here…and this would end tonight. But at the same time, he would also be leaving a piece of his soul behind as well…




The trees flew past her in a blur of green and brown as she sprinted with a speed that she never knew she possessed. But none of that mattered to her at the moment, the aching in her legs paled against the aching in her heart, as she allowed only one name to resound in her head.





`Kouga…' Kagome could hear her heart drumming in her ears with each sprint.





She had to find him, before…Kagome shook her head vigorously, not wanting to imagine what it would be like without Koga with her anymore. `I don't care if he doesn't love me after this…' She thought desperately. `He just has to know…that I…'





It was faint…but she could feel his aura nearby, and her spirits raced as she neared him. Her senses took her down the path to the bone eater's well, and sapphire eyes widened in relief, excitement, and fear at the same time when she caught sight of a dark brown figure standing in the middle of the clearing.





Her fear increased when she saw the beginnings of a forming cloud gather at his feet. `No, no, no!' Her mind screamed.





"KOUGA!"





The cloud instantly dissipated, and the demon prince turned around at the sound of her voice.





Ice-blue met with blazing sapphire in the dark night, and for what seemed like an eternity, they remained in silence until he finally spoke up.





"Kagome…" His voice came in a soft, velvety whisper that never failed to bring shivers down her spine. Despite this, she did not avoid his gaze. "What are you doing here? Why are you not with your MATE?" His voice was not harsh, nor accusing towards her; and yet it was stoic and cold, holding a bit of bitterness towards her that it still caused her to cringe inwardly.





"Mate? Kouga, what are you talking about?" Kagome started, cautiously approaching him.





"You don't have to pretend with me, Kagome." He said coldly, turning his Icy eyes to the moon once more. "I never thought…" Kougas voice began to soften, the ice fading from his eyes. "I never thought that a mere human…could make this Kouga feel so vulnerable."





"Kouga…" She looked at him sadly, tears starting to well in her orbs as she took more steps towards the demon prince. "Please…"





"Kagome," He turned to look at her once more, his eyes holding more emotion than she had ever seen them with, and it made her gasp. "Before I met you, I had naught but a care for anything else but my own welfare. Had I never laid eyes upon you perhaps I would still remain so."





"But you've awakened something inside of me…something that I could not understand nor wanted to in the beginning. I've tried hating you, like I did the rest of the humans…God knows I've tried…" Ice-blue eyes bore into hers as now they were only a couple of feet apart. He could see the gleam of tears that shone in her irises, and his hand ached to wipe them away.





But they remained on either of his sides. She only continued to listen, and Kouga desperately wondered what was running through her mind…now that he was finally bearing to her his soul.





"I, Kouga, failed," He continued. "I could not hate you. I could not deny the contentment that I feel when I was near you. I could not explain why I wanted to protect you and keep you safe…why I wanted to keep YOU. I did not know when I had begun to think of you as my strength instead of my weakness. I could not understand why I desired your smile…your touch even more so than killing Inuyasha…I wanted…"





Kagome was so close to him now…all he had to do was reach out…but he still refrained. Even so, Kagome looked up at him with pleading eyes, and he wanted to give into them so badly.





"What do you want Kouga?" She asked him softly. Ice-blue orbs closed.





"I only want your happiness…" But he was ushered into silence when he felt soft fingers press against his warm lips, and he opened his eyes once more to look at her in confusion. She moved her hands so that she was holding his face in her hands, and stared intently into his molten depths.





"Don't tell me what you think is right…tell me what you WANT…"





Kouga felt a sudden surge of fire flow through himself, and he grasped both of her hands in his own.





"What do I want?" He repeated her, his voice rising. "I, being the selfish, arrogant demon prince that I am, want you to choose ME, love ME, and want ME the same way I want YOU." Kagome stared shocked at the sudden passion that laced in his words as all of his pent-up emotions were finally spilling forth.





"I wanted to give you your first kiss, be the first to touch you…I love you, Kagome." He finished, his tone surprisingly calm. The tears were now streaming down Kagome's cheeks as she stood at a loss of words. `He loves me…' But before she could say anything in return, he stepped away from her once more, his back turned to her.





"But it doesn't matter, because now you belong to HIM." Kouga said sadly. "You always have…Even though I will never forget about you, Kagome, I want you to forget about me. Do not live remembering me, and never regret…Goodbye, Kagome…"





With that, the cloud once more formed at his feet, and Kagome could feel her heartbeat quicken and her eyes widen in panic. `No! I can't let this happen!'





Before the cloud could completly engulf his body, changing him into his demon form, Kouga felt arms throwing themselves around his torso, and a light weight pressing against his back. He tensed, but soon eased when he knew all too well the scent of her sakura tears, and her voice that muffled into his hair.





"Please…don't leave me, my angel… Kouga. . ." Kagome whispered in the most torturously pained voice he had ever heard. He felt all of the anger as well as bitterness in himself fade away when he felt her tighten her embrace around himself, as if afraid that the moment that she'd let go he'd disappear.





"Kouga…if I let you leave now…I'd regret it for the rest of my life," Kagome cried, her tears seeping into his midnight black hair. "I…I couldn't do it…when Inuyasha asked me to become my mate, I couldn't bring myself to say yes."





The demon prince stood shocked at her words, and couldn't help but slowly turn around to face her. His blue eyes widened when he saw that her sapphire eyes so filled with tears shone with nothing but truth. He could feel the warmth flow within himself, the unmistakable feeling of hope that rose in his chest.





"Kagome," He ushered her sweet name, bringing a clawed finger to wipe away one of her falling tears. `Could it be…'





"When he was holding me…when he was about to kiss me…All I could do was think about was you. How much I wished that it were you instead of Inuyasha. But I couldn't move…I felt so weak…" She cried, his heart tightened as he watched each drop roll down her cheek.





To his surprise, he saw a small smile curve her lips, and despite her still falling tears, he thought she stool looked absolutely beautiful.





"But then, I heard your voice, Kouga, and I just could let him take it away from me…"





Kouga caressed her cheek tenderly, his icy-blue eyes tender as he listened intently.





"Take what away?" He asked her, his tone stripped of it's ice and left with but a soft whisper. To his surprise, he found himself once more in Kagome's embrace, standing on her tiptoes, she gently wrapped her arms around his neck. Her face was mere inches from his, her warm breath caressing his skin. He felt himself grow dizzy with her intoxicating scent.





"My first kiss…I want it to be with someone I love…" She whispered before closing the distance between them. Kouga's eyes widened in shock at the feel of her soft lips pressing against his own, not quite believing what was happening.





But before long, he started responding, his eyes shut closed, kissing her back and reveling in the feel of her lips. It was soft and tender at first, but soon it grew more passionate as Kouga's arms wrapped around her form pulling her taut against his body.


Both of them would've liked for it to go on forever, if they hadn't needed air. After a long while, they pulled away from each other, Kouga's forehead touching hers as he gazed lovingly down at Kagome.

Kagome smiled , then whispered to Kouga.

"I love to hear you say that you love me

With words so sweet

And I love the way with just one whisper

You tell me everything"

Koga and Kagome just stared into each others eyes as Kagome began to sing



"And when you say those words

It's the sweetest thing I've ever heard

But when your eyes say it

That's when I know that it's true

I feel it

I feel the love coming through

I know it

I know that you truly care for me

'Cause it's there to see

When your eyes say it"

Placing his clawed fingers gently on Kagomes lips Koga began to whisper to kagome as well letting his feelings go.



"I love all the ways that you show me

You'll never leave

And the way your kisses, they always convince me

Your feelings run so deep "

Koga then removed his fingers from her lips, but began to sing

"I love the things you say

And I love the love your touch conveys"

Kagome then joined Koga, letting her hand gently caress his cheek





"But when your eyes say it

That's when I know that it's true

I feel it

I feel the love coming through

I know it

I know that you truly care for me

'Cause it's there to see

When your eyes tell me

I know they're not tellin' lies

They tell me

All that you're feelin' inside

And it sounds so right

When your eyes say it, say it "

Kagomes lips found Koga's once more. Pulling away she began to once more sing



"And the words that say take my breath away

No song ever sounded so sweet

I love every word that they say to me

But when your eyes say it

That's when I know that it's true

I feel it

I feel the love coming through

I know it

I know that you truly care for me

'Cause it's there to see

When your eyes tell me

I know they're not tellin' lies

They tell me

All that you're feelin' inside

And it sounds so right

When your eyes say it "





"Kouga…my angel…" She whispered . How beautiful he thought the words when they passed her lips, he felt his soul soar. Kagome was in love with him, not Inuyasha. Unable to contain his pent-up emotions, his lips came crashing down to hers once more.





Releasing her from his kiss, his lips instantly came down to kiss her neck.





"Kouga…" Kagome gasped, reveling in the feel of his tongue and lips when he started to suck on her sensitive skin.



"Kagome…" He whispered huskily, his eyes meeting with hers in a darkening gaze of love and lust. "I want you…" His breath tickled her ears before he nipped at it. "I need you…please…"





Kagome would've fallen right then and there if he hadn't been holding her.





She brought his head down hers for another kiss. He groaned, and was almost upset when she pulled away hastily. But his anger was melted away at hearing her next word.





"Yes…"





As soon as Kagome had whispered her answer, Kouga needed nothing else. He pulled her close against himself tightly and whispered into her ear in a low and husky voice.



"Hold on tight."





Kagome nodded, and her arms tightened around his neck as he scooped her off her feet, using is demon speed, he began to run , and in a matter of seconds, they were airborne…leaving nothing but traces of fading dust clouds in the darkened sky.

Kagome reconized where they were going right away, but she was to tired to stay awake for very long.Landing in the gardens of his castle, Kouga looked down at the angel in his arms.





"I love you, Kagome…" He whispered, only to look down to meet with her serene face. She had already fallen asleep. Smiling he slowly walked into the castle, down the hallway, until he came to his chambers.

Kagome slowly opened her eyes as Kouga set her down on the feather soft bed, and watched as her got in the bed on the other side, placing his arm over her body.

Pulling her closer, he let sleep overcome him as well, but not before hearing her mumble incoherently, "Goodnight, Kouga…" And the demon prince knew without a doubt, this was where he belonged. Forever in Kagome's arms; forever complete.