InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Grey ❯ Fallen Angel ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


The abyss beneath them had opened in a flash, but seemed content to devour them slowly. She watched in stoic silence as the yawning chasm grew even wider, as the rush of scalding hot wind brushed against her cool skin.

She didn’t experience the all consuming fear that she’d encountered the first time.

The panic of uncertainty. The dread of the unknown. The regret of precious things lost forever.

She’d been able to reclaim only one.

He stood before her even now. The long silver hair she’d secretly adored whipping around his beautiful face. Dazed amber eyes stared back into her own, and she couldn’t help but think of all that had been stolen from her.

Stolen from them.

Shouldn’t I remain to exact my revenge on Naraku?

The glare of her captive’s accusing eyes caused her to shake her head in denial. The emotion in the glassy orbs haunted her. So familiar. If she remained then the only thing she had left would be snatched away.

The only thing she’d ever had. . .

She stroked his cheek slowly, exhibiting an emotion she hadn’t shown in decades. It wouldn’t be long now.

They'd been to hell and back together when alive, it only made sense that it remain the same in death.
She allowed her eyes to close, the energy whipping her raven tresses into a frenzy. Damnit, there it was again.

That voice!

She clung to consciousness almost as tightly as she clutched the red haori before her.

How dare she!

How dare she call out to him as if she owned him. As if he were her’s! As if he loved.
Movement beneath her fingertips caused her to gasp in shock. Impossible!

The boy blinked rapidly, dark lashes fluttering as he stared around him in confusion. His gaze had locked onto something behind her. More specifically someone.

She willed him to stay with every fiber of her being. Actually letting him see the raw emotion in her eyes. . .

A strangled cry escaped her as the last thing she had left jerked itself from her cold fingers! Inuyasha? Choking on a heart wrenching sob the miko let the energy around her dissipate.

She turned her back on her love. Could not watch him speak to the girl who in essence was everything she was. And everything she was not.

She’d been too late. She’d lost him long ago. Fifty years ago apparantly. The despair threatened to overwhelm her. There was nothing left. . . well that wasn’t quite true.

She dredged up her last surviving emotion and erected her strongest barrier around it as she disappeared into the darkness of the night. Kikyou vowed to protect it until the end.

Better than she’d ever protected the fated jewel.

And if in the end her hate caused her death as well, at least this time she would not be alone.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~


Author’s Note

Feedback would be appreciated. An idea for a series of drabbles that explained the emotions behind some of the seemingly evil decisions of some of the characters came to me at about 3 in the morning. Hence Shades of Grey. I’m making my longwinded self stay under 500 words per piece. 465 words not bad lol. Never tried anything like it before. Hope you guys like it! :)


* * * Blanket Disclaimer: Inuyasha's mine? Keh! I wish! I'm just borrowing `em. * * *