InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Go West, Young Man (well, Hanyou)! ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: InuYasha still isn't mine…
 
On with the story…
 
Chapter 6: Go West, Young Man (well, Hanyou)
 
Kagome woke up the following morning feeling somewhat empty. She missed waking up with InuYasha's arms wrapped around her, but knew it wasn't practical for now. After all, InuYasha wasn't the only one that didn't want questions from the others, and blatantly showing affection in front of them would guarantee an onslaught. She sighed as she looked up to see InuYasha in his usual place, keeping watch. He looked and gave a slight smile to acknowledge her.
 
Her worries about being teased mercilessly by Miroku last evening when they came back turned out to be unfounded. Apparently, the monk had once again pushed Sango too far, and she had knocked him unconscious with her giant boomerang. He was lying off in the corner where she had unceremoniously dragged him, and was sporting a tremendous headache when he finally woke up. Kagome did not offer him any aspirin - she figured if his head hurt enough, maybe he'd leave InuYasha and her alone.
 
As they readied for the journey, Kagome checked her backpack to make sure she had everything she might need. She made sure that she had the doll she brought for Rin since the young girl would probably be traveling with Sesshomaru. She also had Yuki's book, though she wasn't sure when or how she would be able to read it. Kagome didn't have much time to think about it since it wasn't long before everyone was ready to start the journey west.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The first two days of travel were rather uneventful. Miroku was starting to get frustrated because he couldn't get a rise out of InuYasha. Shippou had suddenly grown wise beyond his years and was trying not to upset either InuYasha or Kagome. His nose told him they were together, but weren't mates, at least not yet. He also felt the power they were both exuding and didn't want to do anything that might direct it at him. Sango had tried several times to get Kagome to talk, but Kagome wasn't ready yet. Plus, since they hadn't come across a good area to bathe in, there really had not been an opportunity to get away from the guys. So far, Kagome had been able to use that as an excuse.
 
The one good thing that had happened was that InuYasha had started getting sneaky at night. He would wait until he was certain the others were asleep, and then come down and fold himself in behind Kagome. He would always be back in his perch before the others woke in the morning, but Kagome felt warm and content having him close to her for at least a few hours. She suspected that Shippou might have an idea because he had started curling up with Kirara for the evening. To reward him for his silence, Kagome had taken to carrying the kitsune a lot when they were all walking, and giving him extra pocky or a sucker as a treat.
 
On the third day they approached a village near the edge of Sesshomaru's lands. Not knowing when they would have a chance at sleeping indoors again, Miroku was busy looking for an establishment that he could “exorcise” to gain an evening meal and lodging for the night. He did manage to find one that was inhabited by a rat demon that was becoming a nuisance. Apparently, the owner had tried to appease it by feeding it so now it was becoming fatter and even more aggressive. It looked like feeding a rat demon was worse than a stray cat or dog. Fortunately, it was a fairly easy task. Sango smoked it out of its hiding place, and then Kirara immediately dispatched it. Miroku placed sutras around the building to ward off any further uninvited occupants. The owner was grateful and gave the group a meal & room for the night, as well as a hot bath.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome was thankful for the warm bath after three days on the dusty road. She felt like she had dirt in every pore of her body. She didn't get out her usual bathing supplies except for her shampoo and conditioner since they had furnished the basics to get her clean, including scented oils. After she had scrubbed her body and hair, she just sat back and relaxed in the warm water waiting for Sango to speak - she knew she would want to talk about the last week. As expected, she didn't have long to wait.
 
“Kagome, what happened between you and InuYasha? You're both different since you came back. I can't believe you took him back again after he ran off to Kikyou.” While Sango didn't really know for certain that was what happened, she figured it was a pretty good guess since she saw the soul collectors the night they both disappeared.
 
Kagome sighed. She didn't think she could avoid this much longer - in truth, she didn't really want to, “It wasn't what you think. I jumped to the wrong conclusion too quickly and InuYasha came after me when he was finished with Kikyou.”
 
“Finished! What do you mean, finished! He should have come after you as soon as you left!” Sango interrupted.
 
“That's where you're wrong. I'm glad he stayed and talked to her before he came to me. It changed everything. InuYasha finally told her that he was not going to hell with her and he was choosing me.”
 
“And you believe him? After everything?”
 
“Of course I do. One of the things he told both her and me is that he will never go to see her alone again. So, if he ever has to go and see her and asks that you accompany him, I want you to go. While I trust InuYasha, I don't trust Kikyou. Even he has come to realize that he turns into a total baka in her presence and doesn't always do what he intends to. He freezes up when she does something he didn't expect. I can accept that he used to love her, but doesn't any more.”
 
“So how do you know that he chose you?”
 
“He told me he did, after he told Kikyou. I believe his exact words were that `even though she is your reincarnation, she's MUCH fucking better than the original.' He told me that he needs me and he wants me.”
 
Sango looked stunned at that statement, but quickly recovered, “But he didn't say he loves you?”
 
“He's told me in other words and shown me by his actions. I now understand that those three words are incredibly hard for him, though I don't know why. I think in his own time he might be able to say them, but I'm not going to push him. I hope you will respect that and understand that I love him and am happy. I didn't think this would ever happen - I didn't think he had room for me in his heart. He's now shown me otherwise.”
 
“So what happened to cause your to auras to become so similar? Miroku thinks he's taken you as a mate.”
 
“We don't know for certain, but we think it is a combination of our finally letting each other know our feelings, and the recognition of our own auras of each other. Kaede thinks our auras have marked each other as potential mates - that we are soul mates meant to be together.”
 
“So, you guys, you haven't…”
 
“No, and we won't until we are ready to actually become mates. Since InuYasha is an Inu-hanyou, he'll mate for life.”
 
With that, Kagome figured she had said enough. Sango was silent as she pondered what Kagome had finally revealed.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The other side of the bathhouse wasn't quite as peaceful. Miroku had decided InuYasha was fair game since neither Sango nor Kagome were around.
 
“So, tell me InuYasha - how was it? How did it feel to finally take Kagome as your mate? How did she like it? Fast, slow, hard, rough?” Miroku knew he was overstepping his bounds, but was getting frustrated at no response from the hanyou.
 
“I'll only tell you once again, I have not taken Kagome as my mate! Besides, its none of your fucking business, bouzo!”
 
Shippou was swimming to the other side of the pool as he told Miroku, “You'd better listen up - you know he doesn't lie! You don't wanna make him mad…”
 
Miroku continued, “That's the ONLY explanation for your newfound power, and Kagome's as well!”
 
InuYasha's blood started to boil. For that matter, so did the water around him. Shippou had already jumped out of the water when he felt InuYasha's temper start to flare.
 
Miroku wasn't so lucky - he ended up with blisters in some very interesting places.
 
Shippou muttered under his breath, “I told you so.”
 
Miroku would remember not to torment InuYasha when they were in the water again.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Everything must have been said at the bathhouse, because dinner was very peaceful. Kagome was still muttering something about feeding rats, but all in all, they enjoyed the hot meal they were presented. They were also grateful for rooms for the evening so they didn't have to sleep outdoors. Well, all but InuYasha. He knew it would be next to impossible to be next to Kagome during the night for even a few hours since there was a partition in the room to separate them. Shippou took advantage, though. He had no complaints at all as he curled up with Kagome and drifted off to sleep.
 
Following breakfast the next morning, the group thanked the owner for his hospitality and again headed west. They were approaching the Western Lands, and InuYasha was keeping his senses alert for signs of his brother. The others were wary, but Kagome had assured them that the two were at something of a truce while battling Naraku. While they may call each other names, she didn't think they would out and out fight. What she didn't say was that she had noticed some small changes in Sesshomaru since Rin had started following him. He could deny it all he wanted, but he protected the human child as if she were his own. Plus, Kagome had not been afraid of Sesshomaru since the night he brought the ill Rin to her for help.
 
After traveling several hours, they found a small stream and meadow so they decided to stop to rest and have lunch. While she was putting water on to boil for Ramen, Kagome looked up and said, “I feel two jewel shards - approaching fast.”
 
They all knew that that probably meant. Sure enough, a few minutes later a cyclone of dust was visible flying towards them. Kagome heard InuYasha mutter, “Mangy wolf.”
 
Preparing for the inevitable, Kagome stood up and waited for Koga to arrive. She looked over at InuYasha - while he looked calm, she could tell his blood was about to boil. It was time to put a stop to this.
 
Koga came to a halt in front of Kagome, grabbed her hands and declared “Yo! How's my woman!?”
 
The reaction he got wasn't what he expected. Usually Kagome was nice and said something pleasant while InuYasha threatened to kill him. He always got a bang out of provoking InuYasha so that Kagome would sit him. This time, InuYasha was silently waiting for Kagome to take care of the problem so he wouldn't have to kill Koga. Koga was zapped by her purifying power as Kagome's temper flared at his familiarity with her.
 
Koga yelped and jumped back, “What did you do to MY WOMAN!”
 
Kagome spoke, or rather yelled, before InuYasha lost his temper. “I AM NOT YOUR WOMAN! You should know by now that I belong with InuYasha! I consider you a friend and ally, but that's IT!! I will be INUYASHA'S WOMAN, NOT YOURS!”
 
With that Kagome stepped back and grabbed InuYasha's hand. The power that flared from the two of them was unreal. Koga could tell they weren't mated yet, but it was obvious they were intended to be. He had never seen power like that even between demon mates - and this was just a hanyou and human who hadn't completed the bond yet.
 
Koga backed down and said, “I never really had a chance, did I?”
 
Kagome replied, “I always tried to tell you, but you just didn't listen. I do consider you a friend, but if you ever challenge InuYasha for me again, I will have to let him fight you and I won't interfere.”
 
Koga realized the implications of that - he had seen InuYasha fight to protect Kagome, and he wouldn't want to be on the brunt end of it, not when InuYasha was fighting for real.
 
Koga decided a change of subject was in order, “Have you heard the rumors about a jewel shard to the west?”
 
Miroku decided to speak up, “That's where we're headed, but we didn't hear much. What did you hear?”
 
“Just that there was a demon with a shard. We were going to check it out and see if there are any signs of Naraku.”
 
About that time Ginta and Hakkaku caught up, huffing and puffing. They came to a screeching halt and said, “Hey, sister!” After taking one look continued, “What happened with you and InuYasha?”
 
Koga just looked at them and said that he would explain later. With that, he said, “See you `round,” and took off again while Ginta and Hakkaku were yelling, “Bye Kagome! Kogaaaa, wait uuuuuup…”
 
Sango just looked at everyone and said, “Well, that was interesting.”
 
The forgotten water was now boiling so InuYasha popped off, “Can we fucking eat already?”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
To the west, Jaken was running towards Sesshomaru.
 
“My Lord, My Lord! Did you feel that? There was a surge of power!”
 
Sesshomaru was staring toward the east as he vaguely heard Jaken. He did feel it, and it was on the edge of his land. He would have to go and investigate. He was puzzled by the presence he had felt. It was both familiar and strange at the same time. He thought he may have come across something similar, but couldn't put his finger on it.
 
“Jaken.”
 
“Yes, My Lord?”
 
“Get Ah-Uhn and Rin. We're leaving.”
 
Sesshomaru headed towards the east. Jaken followed behind leading Ah-Uhn while Rin napped on the two-headed dragon's back.
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
They continued west in silence after lunch. Everyone was still a bit stunned after the scene with Koga. Well, the humans were, anyway. InuYasha had not jumped in as usual because he could feel Kagome's intent to resolve the situation. He was willing to give her the chance since he now knew for certain where her loyalties lie. Plus, he could feel the spike in her temper the minute the mangy wolf grabbed her hands. He was glad to see someone besides himself receive the brunt of her anger.
 
Shippou wasn't sure exactly what would happen; he just knew that something would. He had known all along that Kagome really wanted to be with InuYasha and was just being nice to Koga. He had jumped to the sidelines with Kirara. She couldn't talk, but it was apparent Kirara knew something was about to blow, too. They moved to the rear to make sure they were clear of the explosion.
 
The monk and demon slayer had just stood there and witnessed the entire thing with their mouths hanging open. They wondered what Kagome might be capable of if she were REALLY mad.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
After a few more hours of walking, the group came upon a decent sized cave near a stream. InuYasha checked it out and declared that it was currently unoccupied. Weary from the day's walk, they begin to set up camp. InuYasha went hunting and came back fairly quickly with two rabbits he had already prepared for cooking. The others had gathered firewood and started the fire while he was searching for game, and it was crackling heartily. InuYasha handed the rabbits over to the girls.
 
It was going to take a bit for the rabbits to cook, and Kagome was feeling filthy from the amount of dust on her again. Since the stream was nearby, she asked Sango if she wanted to go with her for a quick bath. Sango replied “Aye,” and called for Kirara to accompany them.
 
InuYasha didn't object because he really wouldn't mind if she washed off the stink of the filthy wolf. Still, he was a bit nervous about them going alone now that he was certain they were in his brother's lands.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yea?”
 
“Don't take too long - yell if you need me.”
 
“All right.”
 
Kagome could tell he was wary, and had a good idea why. While she wasn't really scared of Sesshomaru any more, she still didn't want to be caught alone with him. She and Sango hurried through their bath as Kirara watched over them. The water was bone-chilling cold, so they were glad to have an excuse to hurry.
 
As she and Sango finished pulling on their clothes, she felt a demonic aura approach.
 
“InuYasha?!”
 
He was there in a flash - he'd felt it coming, too. He was pretty certain who it was. While he had Kagome stay with him, he sent Sango and Kirara back to the monk and kitsune.
 
“Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru stepped out of the trees on the other side of the stream, followed by Jaken, Ah-Uhn and Rin.
 
InuYasha addressed his brother, “We were expecting you.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes flickered in surprise, but it was gone in an instant. He could feel the power radiating off his brother - no the miko. Wait a minute - both? Were they the source of that surge of power he felt earlier in the day? He must get to the bottom of this.
 
Kagome spoke up. “Sesshomaru-sama, I know you don't usually eat human food, but we have rabbit we are cooking for dinner. If you would not like some, perhaps Rin would?”
 
Rin was standing just behind Sesshomaru, waiting for his permission to move or speak. He could hear her stomach rumble but she didn't say a word.
 
“This Sesshomaru accepts your offer for Rin. Rin, you may go. Jaken, take Ah-Uhn and go with her. I wish to speak to InuYasha alone.”
 
Jaken responded, “But My Lord, that filthy half-breed isn't worth the time of day - why waste your time on him?”
 
“You dare question This Sesshomaru?” It wasn't really a question - it was more like follow orders or die.
 
Jaken looked at the ground and shook his head before he responded, “Yes, My Lord.”
 
Rin climbed up on Ah-Uhn's back while Jaken grabbed the reins and led them across the stream. Rin hopped off on the other side, running up to Kagome. Kagome smiled at her and took her hand to lead her back to camp.
 
Sesshomaru watched as they walked away. The miko puzzled him to no end. Most mortals trembled in fear at the sight of him. If they challenged him, it was usually as a large group and the end result was a lot of dead men. This miko had defied him from the first time he'd laid eyes on her, though. She had helped break InuYasha from the illusion of the UnMother when Sesshomaru was searching for their father's tomb. When the tomb was opened, she had then followed with InuYasha. The miko was the one that had managed to free his father's fang from its plinth. When he tried to bury her in poison, it wasn't just that Tetsusaiga had protected her with its barrier; but when she dug herself out, she had the gall to point at him and yell!
 
Later, when Sesshomaru tried to take the sword from his half-breed brother yet again, the miko was the one that correctly deduced that Sesshomaru had secured a human arm to his shoulder with a jewel shard, and started firing arrows at him. When InuYasha had been taken over by his demon blood and was finally stopped in his rampage by Sesshomaru, Kagome threw herself on top of InuYasha's unconscious body and actually told him to get away - she even called him baka! This miko was just a mortal girl, but she showed more courage and determination than many demons he had encountered.
 
It wasn't just the girl - the effect she had on InuYasha was astounding. InuYasha had strength and could move with a speed Sesshomaru wouldn't have thought possible if he hadn't witnessed it with his own eyes when it came to protecting the miko. And now, he could feel an unparalleled power radiating from them both. That could only mean, “You've taken the miko as your mate.”
 
InuYasha blushed, “No, not yet.”
 
Sesshomaru drew in a deep breath and his eyes opened wide, “You haven't. But even Jaken could feel the surge in power earlier today, and both your auras have practically merged. What is the meaning of this?”
 
InuYasha explained what had happened, including the incident with the wolf, and decided it was now or never. Sesshomaru could feel the anxiety pouring from InuYasha.
 
“Sesshomaru - I, we, came to you for help.”
 
“This Sesshomaru helps no one.”
 
InuYasha's face was the color of his firerat, “But I have no one else to ask about the mating rituals of our kind.”
 
“I am not your kind - you are a half breed.”
 
“But I am an Inu-hanyou. Please tell me about the mating rituals of Inu-youkai.”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow - his brother said, “please?” Come to think of it, InuYasha was acting totally out of character. He hadn't drawn his sword or yelled at him even once. Something had changed. And, as much as he wanted to deny it, he knew it was his responsibility as the older sibling to explain things to InuYasha since their father was dead.
 
“Does the miko know what you intend?”
 
“She does, and I have her mother's blessing.”
 
Another surprise - InuYasha had the foresight to gain permission from the miko's mother?
 
Sesshomaru asked, “Has that flea Myoga not told you anything?”
 
InuYasha sighed, “I never asked him - it didn't come up since I never thought I would find a mate.” Under his breath he muttered, “Because I'm just a filthy hanyou.”
 
Sesshomaru caught that last part and looked at InuYasha. He had never really considered his half-brother's lonely existence. He had thought InuYasha was weak to fall in love with a mortal girl and get pinned to the tree by a spell. Sesshomaru did not know Kikyou when she was alive; he just knew he did not like the walking dead version of her now. He did know that she had never accepted InuYasha as he was. But, he could tell that her reincarnation was different. Not only did she accept InuYasha as a hanyou, she wasn't afraid of him in his full demon form. Even Sesshomaru couldn't make that claim.
 
“This Sesshomaru will tell you what you need to know. However, it will take some time to explain. Let us go and check on the others first.”
 
InuYasha breathed a sigh of relief and said, “Keh,” as they headed towards the camp, each lost in his own thoughts.