InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Disclosures ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: InuYasha still isn't mine…
 
On with the story…
 
Chapter 7: Disclosures
 
They arrived at camp to find Rin playing with Shippou. They were running and giggling under the watchful eyes of Kirara. Well, Jaken was watching, too, but he didn't want the humans to know. However, he knew if any harm came to Rin there would be hell to pay, and he's the one that would have to cough up the toll.
 
Kagome looked up as InuYasha and Sesshomaru approached, and smiled. She thought Sesshomaru must have agreed to his request because after feeling InuYasha's nervousness, she felt a great relief wash through her. She was certain that could only mean one thing.
 
InuYasha sat down next to Kagome as she called, “Rin, Shippou - dinner's ready.” She pulled the first rabbit off of the spit and tore pieces off to hand to the children first. She handed the remainder over to Sango for her and the Monk to share. As she removed the second rabbit from the fire, she asked Sesshomaru, “Does Jaken eat meat?”
 
Jaken answered her question, “Jaken doesn't NEED worthless human food, and neither does his master!”
 
Kagome just raised an eyebrow at his rudeness, “I guess not.”
 
Sesshomaru responded, “Jaken.”
 
“Yes, My Lord.”
 
“Do not presume to answer for This Sesshomaru again.”
 
Kagome still had the whole rabbit on the spit, “Sesshomaru-sama, would you like a piece of rabbit?”
 
“This Sesshomaru finds it acceptable.”
 
In response, Kagome tore off a hindquarter and passed it to Sesshomaru. Normally she would have passed the entire spit over for him to help himself, but figured it would probably be difficult for him to handle with only one arm.
 
InuYasha had watched the entire exchange in amusement. He took the spit from Kagome and tore off a piece and handed it to her. After he took a piece for himself, he placed it back over the fire to keep warm. As hungry as everyone was, he knew it wouldn't last long. If he had know there would be dinner guests, he would have caught at least one more rabbit. No one was more surprised than him that Sesshomaru had accepted their dinner invitation.
 
After the rest of the rabbit had been devoured, Kagome and Sango took Rin and Shippou down to the creek to wash their hands. When they came back, they were amused at the sight in front of them. Apparently Miroku had made another comment he shouldn't have, and had managed to incur Sesshomaru's wrath. Well, you couldn't say that exactly since the monk was still breathing, albeit rather raggedly. Sesshomaru was glaring, InuYasha had a smirk, and the monk looked downright petrified.
 
Kagome decided to break the silence, “Sesshomaru-sama, I have a gift for Rin. May I give it to her?” She produced the doll from her backpack and showed it to Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru took the soft rag doll from Kagome and handed it back to her, “It is acceptable. Rin, would you like to take it?”
 
Rin's eyes lit up as she took the doll from Kagome's hands and replied, “Oh yes, Sesshomaru-sama. Thank you, Kagome-sama!”
 
Kagome turned to see a slight pout on Shippou, thinking she had forgotten him, “Come here, Shippou.”
 
Shippou eagerly ran over to Kagome as she produced a box of crayons with twice as many colors as he'd had before, and a blank sketchbook for him to draw in. Shippou blurted, “Thank you, Kagome!” as he grabbed them from her and found a flat place on the ground to drop and start coloring. Rin came over and sat down next to him. Shippou spread open the sketchbook so they could color on opposing pages. Kagome just looked at them and smiled.
 
Sesshomaru watched the entire scene unfold in bewilderment. He understood the gifts to the kitsune, who regarding the miko as something akin to a mother, but the miko had also remembered Rin, who wasn't her responsibility at all. Instead of answers, he kept coming up with more questions regarding InuYasha's miko. He turned his gaze toward his brother, and could see the amusement and love in his eyes as he watched his intended. He then looked around him to see where Jaken had gotten off to. He knew he hadn't gone far, and spotted him glaring at the humans in the camp from his spot by Ah-Uhn.
 
Sesshomaru silently stood and looked at InuYasha, “It's time.”
 
InuYasha stood up alongside Sesshomaru.
 
Jaken had jumped up and run over to his master.
 
“Jaken.”
 
“Yes, My Lord?”
 
“Stay here with the others, do not follow.”
 
Jaken sighed in resignation, “Yes, My Lord.”
 
InuYasha looked pointedly at the monk as he said, “My brother and I have things to discuss. Do NOT follow us - that especially means you, monk.”
 
He looked at Kagome, “I'll let you know if we need you.”
 
With that, he turned and followed Sesshomaru into the woods.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
They went out of human earshot of the camp. The others shouldn't be able to hear them at all, but they would be able to hear if there was trouble at the camp and would be able get back in a hurry. They found a small clearing with boulders scattered in it. Sesshomaru sat on one and motioned his brother to do the same.
 
Sesshomaru started, “Before I tell you anything, Little Brother, tell me the truth. Do you intend to challenge me?”
 
InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru in total surprise, “Challenge you - for what?”
 
“For the Western Lands - you will likely rival only myself in power when you take the miko as your mate.”
 
InuYasha was stunned - the thought had never crossed his mind, “Why would I fucking want to do that? What would I do with them?”
 
Sesshomaru didn't say anything, so InuYasha continued, “All I want to do is take Kagome as my mate, help her gather the rest of the Sacred Jewel, and defeat Naraku. Other than that, I'll be content to live peacefully back in the village that we help protect.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at him, somewhat in wonder, as the words of their father came back to him, `Sesshomaru, do you have someone to protect?'
 
“You mean that you have no desire to fight me?”
 
InuYasha looked at the ground with his ears flattened on his head as he replied, “I've never really wanted to fight you. It was just always clear that you hated me for being a fucking half-breed and I know you blame me for our father's death. But at least you got to know him, to talk to him. I had never even seen his face before we sent Sounga back to hell. All he left me was Tetsusaiga, and you wanted that, too. I fought you because I had to in order to fucking survive. My life may have been miserable, but I still wasn't ready to die.”
 
Sesshomaru considered his brother's words, and the number of battles they had. In truth, Sesshomaru had either attacked InuYasha every time, or goaded him into attacking. He lost his arm because he underestimated InuYasha. Sesshomaru had been badly injured when InuYasha sent the Wind Scar at him, but he had provoked that, too. Even so, he knew that InuYasha had not sent the full force of the attack against him. If he had, even Tenseiga would probably not have been able to save him. At the time, Sesshomaru had blamed InuYasha for being weak, but since then he had his doubts.
 
InuYasha may be a half-breed, but he had accomplished things that most full demons could not boast of. Even their powerful father had not been able to destroy Ryuukotsusei, yet InuYasha had obliterated him so there was not even a trace. InuYasha had survived numerous encounters with Naraku and his incarnations, and even with the miko's help, that was no small feat. Sesshomaru hated to admit it, but InuYasha was powerful, and he would rather have him as an ally.
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “I have one more question. What about the undead miko? Are you pledged to her in any way?”
 
InuYasha looked at him and said, “That's two questions, but I'll answer. I told Kikyou that I wasn't going to hell or anywhere else with her. I finally realized she didn't want me at all, but instead wanted to punish me for what happened fifty years ago. I also realized that I didn't really love her any more, but instead felt guilty because of everything that had happened. I told her to stay away from me and Kagome unless she had news of Naraku, and that I would never go to see her alone again. That was when I knew that I couldn't survive without Kagome, I can't breathe without her. I need to her live.”
 
“All right, Little Brother, I'll tell you what you need to know.”
 
InuYasha blushed as Sesshomaru continued, “It is a good thing that you actually had the forethought to come to me. As the eldest of our family, I have to approve your union. In order to do so, I must inspect your prospective mate.”
 
InuYasha asked, “Inspect - what do you mean?”
 
Sesshomaru responded, “I must physically inspect her to make sure that she has been marked by no other, and that she is suitable to become your mate.”
 
InuYasha didn't think Kagome was going to like this, “You mean, you have to…”
 
“Have her undress and check her body. I shouldn't have to actually touch her.”
 
InuYasha's face matched his robes again, “But I haven't even seen her like that.”
 
`Well, at least not in any decent amount of light,' InuYasha thought.
 
Sesshomaru continued, “That's the point. I must make certain that no other has claimed her.”
 
“What did you mean by `suitable?'”
 
Sesshomaru answered, “That she is strong enough to become a member of this family, and loyal enough that she won't stray.”
 
“How do you do that?”
 
“Well, normally there would be a series of tests to put the prospective mate through, but I'll waive them in your Miko's case.”
 
InuYasha sounded relieved but asked, “Why?”
 
“She has already surpassed more than any test I could give. She's proven herself time and time again that she is loyal to you - she's risked her life for you more than once. She's the only human that has stood up against me and survived. She also managed to almost destroy Naraku - I heard how he lost his body when he lured your group to his castle.”
 
“Yea, she saved us all - she purified his miasma that surrounded us just by getting mad.”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow - he hadn't heard that, but decided to continue, “Once I inspect her and accept her, it is up to you when the next part is performed. A word of warning - you will be very vulnerable when you are in the act of taking her as your mate. You will need a place that you know is secure, or you will need guards - preferably both. It may take several days to complete.”
 
“Several days?” InuYasha asked in wonder.
 
“Yes - the more passion you have, the longer it will take. You have a combination of Inu stamina and a human heart, mating with a Miko who is powerful and also appears to have a large heart. It could take a while.”
 
InuYasha grinned at the thought, but let his brother continue, “I'm guessing at some of the next part - there are few records of a hanyou taking a mate, but I don't know of any of a hanyou mating with a miko. When a full Inu-youkai takes a human mate, they can exchange blood during the act of consummation that will help extend the human's life. I think it will work for you since your youkai is strong, and apparently it already recognizes the miko as your intended. The miko's aura in return is already trying to merge with yours. You should know though, that it doesn't just extend the human's life - the two souls are virtually bound together. If one mate should die, the other usually follows suit a short time later unless there is an incredible reason for them to live.”
 
“Like what?”
 
“Pups, revenge - it's a fairly short list.”
 
InuYasha contemplated the implications of that before he asked, “How do we exchange blood?”
 
“Your youkai will probably emerge during this process and help - don't be afraid to allow your instincts to surface. Basically, once you have selected a site on the shoulder, usually at the junction of the neck, you will bite down and draw blood. The human must also drink your blood, but not necessarily at exactly the same time or place on the body.”
 
“Not at exactly the same time?”
 
“You know how I told you it might take several days? It must be done sometime during the ritual, so you'll likely have more than one opportunity. She may have to have your help, though. Your Miko is strong, but she doesn't have fangs like you do. She may not be able to break through your tough skin. If that is the case, then do it yourself - just as long as she swallows some of your blood.”
 
“Will it hurt her when I bite down?”
 
“Hopefully, you will have her otherwise occupied. If she is feeling pleasure in another area, she probably won't really feel it.”
 
InuYasha blushed - he remembered her silent screams from the other night. He could probably distract her, “What else, Sesshomaru?”
 
“Once you are mated, you need to come back to me. I have to verify your marks. If the mating is successful, you will each bear the mark of your mate. If you were full Inu-youkai, your Miko would bear the mark of our house, the crescent moon. However, since you are a hanyou I don't know if she will have that or the human mark, which would be a Kanji symbol representing your union. Since the Miko is human, the mark you bear will be a Kanji symbol. ”
 
“What should it say?”
 
“Each is unique to the couple. You won't know until it is healed.”
 
“What else?”
 
“Well, you've already managed the hardest part considering your intended is a miko. If her aura didn't recognize your aura, she could purify your ass when you went to take her.”
 
InuYasha was VERY glad that wouldn't be a problem. It was painful to even think about it.
 
“Sesshomaru?”
 
His brother looked at him but InuYasha looked at the ground as he continued, “I've never, well I've never…”
 
Sesshomaru looked at him and said, “You know how I said your youkai instincts would probably surface?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Let them help.”
 
“Keh.”
 
The two brothers were silent for a few minutes.
 
“Sesshomaru?”
 
InuYasha continued when his brother looked at him again, “If Kagome is willing, could you go ahead and get the first part over with? We don't know when we might run into you again.”
 
“That is agreeable - but it will have to wait until morning. It is getting too dark this evening.”
 
InuYasha asked, “Is there anything you need to explain to Kagome about this, while we are all here?”
 
Sesshomaru thought for a minute and said, “Yes, I would like to see her.”
 
InuYasha replied, “I don't want her walking through the woods alone in the dark - I'll go and get her.”
 
With that, he sped off after Kagome.
 
He found her tucking Rin and Shippou into bed. Apparently, they had worn themselves out and were ready for sleep.
 
“Kagome?” InuYasha said softly, not wanting to wake the children.
 
InuYasha continued when Kagome turned and looked at him, “Sesshomaru would like to speak to you. When he's finished, there is something I need to discuss with you tonight, before he leaves in the morning.”
 
Kagome nodded and climbed on his back as he bent down. She was happy to have her arms wrapped around her hanyou again, even if only for a few minutes.
 
They were back to the clearing with Sesshomaru. InuYasha set her down and said, “I won't be too far away, call when you're finished.”
 
With that he bounded off, and leapt into a tree a safe distance away.
 
Kagome spoke up first, “Sesshomaru-sama, you wanted to see me?”
 
“Yes, Miko.”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama, my name is Kagome.”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow; she was demanding respect from him by asking him to use her name. He was silent for a minute and continued “Kagome-chan.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Do you know what InuYasha came discuss with me?”
 
“Yes, I do.”
 
“You wish to become his mate?”
 
Kagome responded, “More than anything.”
 
“You understand that life with a hanyou will not be easy.”
 
Kagome sighed, “I don't care. I love him and I can't live without him. My mother and brother both accept him, so there will always be a place for us in this world.”
 
“Kagome-chan, I have made my peace with my brother. You will be welcome in my home as well, though I have not told him of that yet.”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama, you are the only family he has. I'm glad that you have been able to settle your differences. I don't think he ever really wanted to fight you, but only did because he felt he had to.”
 
“Kagome-chan.”
 
Kagome looked at Sesshomaru again - it was weird actually hearing her name rather than Miko or Human from him.
 
“Why are you not a afraid of me anymore?”
 
“That's simple - Rin.”
 
“Rin?”
 
“I haven't really been afraid of you since you brought Rin to me when she was sick. You trusted me to help her, and didn't do anything to harm any of my companions, including InuYasha.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyebrows went up again - the simple logic of this human amazed him. How could she infer so much so accurately from one simple action? He had brought Rin to her when she had a fever. Even though he could smell the miko's fear when he first approached, it vanished when she saw the sick girl he was carrying. She had acted without hesitation to help Rin, and in turn he had left without a conflict with any of her party.
 
“This Sesshomaru requests your assistance.”
 
Kagome's eyebrow went up this time. She remained silent so the demon lord continued, “Rin will soon be approaching the age where she will have her monthly cycle.”
 
Kagome blushed but didn't say anything.
 
“When the time comes, it would be better for a human female to explain this to her.”
 
Kagome replied, “Yes, I will explain it. Will you be able to tell before it starts? I know you have a keen sense of smell.”
 
Sesshomaru just nodded.
 
“Find a way to let me know, and I will help.”
 
With that, Sesshomaru told her she could call for InuYasha to return.
 
InuYasha ran back when her heard Kagome call him.
 
Sesshomaru looked at InuYasha and Kagome.
 
“InuYasha, I find Kagome acceptable for you to take as your mate.”
 
InuYasha stammered, “But…but I thought you have to inspect her.”
 
Sesshomaru replied, “She is pure, no other has touched her. She wants no other than you. She is acceptable.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome replied, “Thank you,” though Kagome wanted to ask what was that about.
 
InuYasha spoke up, “Sesshomaru, I really need some time to talk to Kagome. Will you watch over others until we return? Rin and Shippou are already asleep, so they shouldn't be any trouble. Just don't let that perverted monk sneak out here to spy on us.”
 
Sesshomaru had the closest thing they would ever see to a smirk flick across his face before he answered, “This Sesshomaru agrees.” With that, he strode back through the trees to the camp.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
After Sesshomaru's back disappeared into the trees, InuYasha picked Kagome up and pulled her into his lap as he sat on one of the boulders. She looked at him, and he leaned in to kiss her. She gladly complied, as they had not had any privacy the last few days. When they pulled apart for air, she snuggled her forehead into his neck and asked, “So what was all that about?”
 
InuYasha responded, “You know how I told you there was something I had to discuss with you tonight?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well in order for us to be properly mated, the eldest of the family must approve the intended first. There were two parts you were supposed to pass. He waived the test of strength and loyalty - he said you had already surpassed any test he could give by your previous actions.”
 
“Like what?”
 
“Oh, just the fact that you've risked your life on several occasions to save me, you actually stood up to him in battle, and you blew Naraku's body out from under his head.”
 
Kagome's reply was, “Oh… What was the second part?”
 
InuYasha sounded relieved when he replied this time, “That's the part I was supposed to explain to you tonight. He was supposed to inspect you to make sure you had been marked by no other. Since I didn't know when we might see him again, I was going to see if you would agree to do it in the morning. He wouldn't have touched you, but he would have to look.”
 
“Look, you mean as in with no clothes?”
 
“Keh. That was what I had to explain to you and see if you would agree. I would understand if you didn't but I would not have been able to take you as my mate without his blessing. I don't know what you did or said, but I'm glad he found you acceptable without the physical inspection.”
 
Kagome was silent for a minute before she finally responded, “I would have done it if that was what it took for us to be together. Maybe he realized that from something else he had asked me.”
 
InuYasha just responded, “Keh - I'm just glad.” He pulled her into another kiss, never wanting to let her go.
 
Kagome ended the kiss abruptly, “InuYasha! We have to get back! There's a jewel shard coming towards camp - I think whatever has it is coming after us!”
 
InuYasha pulled Kagome onto his back and flew through the trees, “Kagome, how much time do we have?”
 
“At least thirty minutes - maybe a little more. It's moving pretty fast but its still a fair distance away.”
 
InuYasha startled everyone as he leaped into camp and put out the fire, “Sesshomaru, Miroku, Sango, Kirara! Get ready, we're about to have company!”
 
While InuYasha explained to the others what was going on, Kagome woke up Shippou and Rin and pulled them further back into the cave along with all of their belongings. She called out, “Sesshomaru-sama, can Ah-Uhn get in the mouth of the cave and help protect the children?”
 
In response, Sesshomaru called Ah-Uhn over and pulled the bridles off of the two heads. Ah-Uhn would not be hindered in protecting Rin. The dragon settled in the mouth of the cave, both pairs of eyes looking wary and alert.
 
Kirara had already transformed and the others took cover to wait. With the fire out, their eyes were starting to adjust to the darkness. InuYasha and Sesshomaru could both see in the dark, and the others were relying on them to signal when their uninvited visitors arrived.