InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha still belongs to Rumiko Takahashi. Long live the Queen!!
 
 
Epilogue
 
True to her word, Kagome traveled back through the well a number of times that following year to check on Sango and Miroku as well as old Kaede. Sango's belly was growing ever bigger as the year went by and they approached the birth of her first child.
 
Kagome always insisted that InuYasha go with her. She was terrified of the thought that the well might decide to close, separating her from the other side and her mate. She knew she could never live without him in either the past or the future.
 
InuYasha did not mind going back to the past. While he greatly appreciated the fact that he did not have to almost constantly fight to defend either himself or Kagome in her time, he missed the wild forests and open spaces. Whenever they went to visit, he made a trip to hunt in the forest and bring back meat for Sango and the child growing within her. Sometimes he would ask Kagome to go with him just so he could run with her on his back as he used to do. She still loved it and would hang on tight and laugh as he practically flew with her.
 
Back in the future, InuYasha was soaking up knowledge like a sponge. He was learning by such leaps and bounds that Kagome realized they needed help. They finally called Sesshomaru to see if he could help them obtain a tutor to continue his education. They had always known InuYasha had to be smart to have survived as he did for so long. What surprised them was how truly intelligent he really was. They were actually considering providing papers for him so that he could attend college alongside Kagome if he wished. Sesshomaru knew all the right people and could pull it off.
 
InuYasha had surprised even himself with his thirst for knowledge in this era. It had started with the cataloguing of the items in the shrine's storage rooms. He was fascinated with everything that was there and the history behind them. The Shrine had actually obtained a lot of objects that were far older than it was. InuYasha was also proud of the fact that he had learned to read and write well enough to help Grandpa record everything. The more he learned, the more he wanted to know. He suddenly understood why Kagome was always coming back for school and those stupid tests.
 
In addition, InuYasha had called Sesshomaru with his suspicions that some of the items at the shrine were indeed valuable, but had virtually no security. Sesshomaru had connections to the curator at a local museum. Upon his suggestion, the curator sent his assistant out to the shrine to see what types of objects they had. Grandpa was practically giddy that a museum had interest in the items at the shrine. After the assistant had arrived and was shown some of what they had in storage, he called the curator and told him he had to come and see this for himself. The curator cleared his calendar for the afternoon and arrived at the shrine to meet a very excited Grandpa. InuYasha was trying to get him to calm down.
 
Kagome came home from school that afternoon to find the curator of one of the most prestigious museums in Tokyo in their kitchen. InuYasha carried her bag to their room as he went with Kagome to tell her what he had done and what was happening. At first Kagome was upset that InuYasha had not told her his plans, but then realized he honestly didn't know if anything would come of his call to Sesshomaru. He was pleased that Sesshomaru took him seriously and that the assistant had come out to visit, but everything past that was a complete surprise. While he was certain they had some valuable objects, he had no idea how valuable. Before the curator left, they were discussing a special exhibition at the museum with many of the items from the shrine “on loan,” for which the museum would gladly make a hefty donation to the shrine.
 
It was at the opening of the exhibition that revealed another of InuYasha's unique talents. As they were wandering around the museum looking at other exhibits, InuYasha's keen eyes revealed some items he was sure were not authentic. Not wanting to embarrass himself or anyone else in case he was wrong, he asked for a private meeting later with the curator. The curator knew that InuYasha was the real reason that his museum now had the extraordinary collection on special exhibition, and agreed to meet with him in the museum after hours. InuYasha showed him the various pieces scattered throughout the museum that he suspected were not what they claimed to be. The curator brought in a well-respected contractor to audit and authenticate items in the museum, and they discovered that one of the museum's own staff had stolen a number of valuable pieces and replaced them with forgeries. As the result of InuYasha's sharp eyes, most of the real pieces were recovered, and the thief went to prison. It wasn't long after this incident that Sesshomaru called to tell InuYasha he really should consider going to college with Kagome. Japan had many historical items, and not enough people to authenticate them.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome graduated on schedule, and had been accepted into the local university. Sesshomaru had also made arrangements for InuYasha to attend the same college if he wanted. They decided they would wait on that decision. First, they had to go back to the past and check on the others, and make the trek to the Western Lands to visit Shippou.
 
Kagome once again had her oversized backpack with her when they jumped into the past. They went straight to the village to check on Sango, and also see how Miroku and old Kaede were faring.
 
Sango had given birth to a beautiful girl, who looked a lot like her father. Miroku was playing the part of the doting dad, and making sure that Sango and Karandora lacked for nothing. Miroku had also been helping Kaede around the village. She was getting up in years, so Miroku assisted her in many of her sacred duties. The exception was delivering babies - they made sure there were midwives for that.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Sango asked InuYasha and Kagome if they would like to take Kirara to the Western Lands with them. Kirara had not been on an adventure past InuYasha's Forest in nearly a year, and meowed her willingness to go. They set out on their journey early the next morning, stopping to relieve themselves, eat, and give Kirara a break. InuYasha was both disappointed and relieved that they were not attacked anywhere along the journey.
 
When they arrived at Sesshomaru's castle, an excited Shippou and Rin met them at the entrance. They each looked like they had grown at least a foot over the past months. Sajjanneba was following right behind them and led them to the nursery to see the first heirs of Lord Sesshomaru. Sajjanneba had given birth to quintuplets, one boy and four girls. Like his father, the boy was a poison youkai and had to be handled with care. All of the pups carried the crescent moon on their forehead and a star on their left breast.
 
Sesshomaru actually had a wide grin on his face when he saw InuYasha and Kagome. He welcomed them back and told them dinner would be ready shortly. They all went to the dining room to fill each other in on the events of the past year.
 
When it was time to leave a week later it was as InuYasha had predicted almost a year earlier. Shippou was doing extremely well under Kanti's tutelage and wanted to remain at the castle. It also appeared that he and Rin were inseparable. Kagome told Shippou that she understood and only wanted the best for him. Tears on her face, she once again threatened to squeeze the life out of the kitsune as she said goodbye. She also hugged Sesshomaru, Rin and Sajjanneba before they left. Not to be left out, the others hugged InuYasha whether he wanted to be or not. InuYasha told Shippou that he was proud of him and to do his best before he set Kagome on Kirara's back and jumped up behind her. Kirara took flight as the sun rose in the east.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
After stopping by to visit with Sango and Miroku one more time, Kagome and InuYasha jumped in the well for home. It was time to move on with the rest of their lives.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
~*~
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Partly due to Kagome's remedies from her era, Kaede lived to be nearly one hundred. No one was really sure, but that was the best they could guess. Sango and Miroku already had grandchildren when she finally passed on. InuYasha and Kagome were there to see her in time to say goodbye, and thank you. Kaede had a smile on her face when she died peacefully in her sleep.
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Miroku and Sango ended up with a total of four children, all girls. Two of the girls inherited Miroku's spiritual powers and ended up becoming priestesses to help in the village. However a lot had been learned from Kagome's union with InuYasha. Instead of expecting the girls to stay virgins in order to retain their powers, they were allowed to fall in love and marry. As Kagome had, they discovered their spiritual powers did not wane, even after they had children. Their descendents helped protect the village and then the shrine for the next several hundred years.
 
Miroku and Sango lived well into their seventies. By the time they passed on, they had fourteen grandchildren and thirty great-grandchildren. Many of their descendents carried Miroku's spiritual powers, and served many villages for as long as there was such a need. Unfortunately, many of the boys also had a tendency to be lechers.
 
Kirara stayed at the village for as long as Sango and Miroku lived. Sango followed Miroku shortly afterwards to the afterlife, and then Kirara disappeared into the wilderness.
 
After the passing of Sango and Miroku, Kagome and InuYasha came back one more time to pay their last respects to their graves. As they jumped back to the future, there was a flash of light as the well was sealed.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba seemed to be single-handedly trying to replenish the declining Inu-youkai population. After the first set of quintuplets, Sajjanneba gave birth four more times. She had two sets of quadruplets and two sets of triplets. Each of the births contained one poison youkai like their father for a total of two boys and three girls. The grand tally of the pups overall was ten girls and nine boys. They provided steady employment for nannies and wet-nurses for years. They also had to hire assistants for Dara. She was staying busy with the antidotes for each of the five poison youkai - no two of them were exactly the same.
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
As InuYasha had also predicted, Shippou eventually took Rin as his mate. They had four children of their own, two boys and two girls. The two boys became master magicians and were known for their fantastic illusions. They traveled all over the world impressing old and young alike. Of the two girls, the oldest became a lawyer. She was well known in modern-day Tokyo for her work on the behalf of orphaned and abused children. The youngest, quiet and shy, became a kindergarten teacher.
 
Shippou worked with Kanti until Kanti was finally ready to retire from head of staff. Shippou had been his assistant for many years by that time, and was promoted to his position to run the household and grounds. Kanti still remained as Lord Sesshomaru's advisor, confidant, and closest friend. His mate Tonika was still by his side.
 
Shippou also became independently wealthy in his own right. He developed the line of jewelry that bore the concealment spells like the one given to InuYasha. They were available in both standard issue that made a youkai look like a typical Japanese native, or custom ones like the one given to InuYasha that gave him human ears, nails and teeth, but allowed him to keep his exotic silver mane and amber eyes. Shippou's jewelry also gave them the appearance that they aged as they mingled with the human society. There was an entire youkai underground in Japan, and Shippou's jewelry was allowing them to mingle with the public.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
After both InuYasha and Kagome completed their undergraduate degrees, they had decided it was time to move out of the shrine. Sesshomaru owned an entire development near his home that was occupied mostly by youkai, hanyous, and their families. There was actually a ward around the entire neighborhood that kept those who did not belong out so that those who lived there could walk in freedom of not being seen by the outside world. Here Kagome and InuYasha could live for the rest of their very long lives without anyone asking why they didn't seem to grow older. When they went out into the real world, they both wore concealment spells that gave them the appearance that they aged like anyone else.
 
InuYasha and Kagome both did so well in Japanese History in college (and being extremely wealthy they didn't have to go to work right away) they both ended up pursuing PhDs. InuYasha became a discreet but highly respected authenticator of Japanese artifacts, specializing in weapons. Sesshomaru and the museum curator (who also happened to be a youkai) that had started him on that path kept him busy for many, many years.
 
Though she hadn't intended to, Kagome became famous for her dissertation that disproved a common conception held about the Warring States Era, uncovering documents that had never been available before (thanks to Sesshomaru and his massive library). However, in spite of all of the offers to teach college and go on lecture circuits, she chose to remain a history teacher for middle and high school, where she could go home at night to be with her husband and children.
 
Both InuYasha and Kagome would work until a respectable age for retirement and then disappear. Once overtaken by boredom, they would emerge again youthful with new identities given to them by Sesshomaru and his vast network of contacts, and start to work all over again.
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha had a total of five children. The first was a boy that had InuYasha's ears, claws and fangs, but Kagome's black hair and dark eyes. Dakarai's ears were black along with his hair.
 
The second was a girl, once again with InuYasha's ears, claws and fangs. Izayoi's hair was black with a wide silver streak that flowed from the forehead, through the left ear, and down the side of her face. The result was one black ear and one silver-streaked ear with InuYasha's amber eyes blazing from under them.
 
The third child was another boy. Keiden had InuYasha's ears, eyes, and claws, but black hair like his mother. He proved early on that he was going to be a handful.
 
They had planned for four children. Kagome had gone off of her birth control as they were preparing to have a fourth child, and InuYasha's waning senses going into the night of the new moon did not detect that she went into heat as the sun settled below the horizon. As they so often did that night due to InuYasha's heightened emotions, they spent the night making love. They had also learned that if InuYasha was already inside Kagome when the sun came up that the sensations were - well - incredible. Human InuYasha was already thrusting into Kagome as the change washed over them. As his senses came back it was already too late - he couldn't stop and exploded inside her as she climaxed with him. It wouldn't have mattered anyway since they had already done this more than a dozen times during the night - he just hoped she wouldn't kill him for it. Fortunately, Kagome was ready for another child.
 
The fourth birth was a very special pair of fraternal twins, both girls. The first was completely human, the spitting image of Kagome. Mirisento also inherited Kagome's miko powers and gentle and kind nature (well, except when she was mad). The second was as close to a true hanyou as they could have. It appeared she had inherited nearly all of InuYasha's youkai genes so that she was almost half demon rather than closer to a quarter like the others. Kasei was the spitting image of InuYasha: silver hair, amber ears, eyes, claws, fangs…and temper.
 
They had been lucky in that several of Sesshomaru's and Sajjanneba's many descendents had become doctors of one fashion or another. It was handy have an Inu-youkai OB-GYN and not have to explain those ears, fangs, and claws. It was also convenient that several of his other descendents ran a school for all of the children in the special community they lived in.
 
After each child was born, they went through the well with Kagome and InuYasha to meet Miroku, Sango, their children, Kaede and Kirara.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha were sad when her grandfather passed away. At least he lived for a number of years after the shrine's objects had gone on what was now a permanent display in the museum. The museum had even set up an area where visitors could go and hear him talk on weekends about the many legends behind the pieces as well as the fantastic story of the half-demon that had been pinned to the Sacred Tree, and the beautiful miko who awakened him and loved him.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Souta had taken over the duties that went along with the shrine. He married and had three children of his own. Only he and their mother knew the secret of Kagome and InuYasha.
 
Thanks to the annual donation from the museum, Souta and his family never lacked for anything. The shrine also had a steady stream of visitors, interest sparked by the exhibit at the museum and the wild stories told by Grandpa.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Mama Higurashi lived until she was nearly ninety years old. After Souta married and had his first child, Kagome and InuYasha brought her to live with them. There she was safe and could tell stories of her daughter and son-in-law to anyone who wanted to listen. They all knew the legend of the hanyou and miko who had brought down the horror that was Naraku. There were those in the community who had actually lived during those times. At her request, when she finally passed away, she was cremated and her ashes scattered around the Sacred Tree.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
It was after the well had finally sealed that Sesshomaru was able to tell Kagome and InuYasha some of the things he knew they wanted to know. Kagome and Sesshomaru alike had been afraid that as long as the well was open and Kagome and InuYasha were traveling through it, they might do something to disrupt the flow of time if they knew how certain events turned out.
 
Kagome and InuYasha had come to visit with Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba. They were in their immense family room talking when a tall handsome kitsune and beautiful woman came in. InuYasha grinned and Kagome squealed when she realized who it was. Shippou and Rin turned out to be quite a pair. It wasn't long before the two-tailed cat strolled in to greet them. Kirara jumped in Kagome's lap so that she could pet her as they caught up with everything that had happened the last five hundred years.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
This is the end of She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love. Thank you to all of you who have read and enjoyed my very first fanfic.