InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ The Return Home ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: (deep sigh)…InuYasha still belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
Chapter 17: The Return Home
 
Sesshomaru jumped up, but then realized that his mate hadn't really fainted - just closed her eyes and sagged at the thought that they had been at it for eight days. No wonder she was so tired and hungry! And, well, so satisfied. Kagome had been right - if you turned yourself loose, it was wonderful.
 
Sesshomaru had sat back down and reached over to stroke Sajjanneba's hand. She looked and him and smiled.
 
Sesshomaru actually smiled as he said, “I knew I could best you, little brother.”
 
InuYasha just grinned, and then replied, “Weren't all that much. I'm only a Inu-hanyou mated to a human, I would have thought that the two of you would at least double our record…Hey Sesshomaru, that wasn't all I recorded in that journal of yours.”
 
Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba looked at InuYasha with a `what do you mean' stare. The look on Kanti's face and even Tonika's told them they knew exactly what he was talking about.
 
Kagome looked puzzled.
 
InuYasha continued, “You two have been together too much to tell the difference yet. Sesshomaru, take a good whiff of your mate.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes opened wide as he realized what InuYasha was talking about. It only made sense. The fact that Sajjanneba was in heat during the ritual only added to their passion.
 
Sesshomaru leaned over and kissed Sajjanneba right in front of the others. She was pregnant; he was going to be a father.
 
Sesshomaru looked toward InuYasha and was about to say something when the younger sibling gave a slight shake of his head that very clearly said, `not here' so instead he turned to Sajjanneba and simply said, “Thank you.”
 
Sajjanneba kissed him back.
 
Kagome still looked puzzled.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
InuYasha had been pretty certain what Sesshomaru was about to ask in front of the others. It wasn't a subject he wished to discuss at lunch, and he didn't want to embarrass Kagome, though he probably should bring her with him to explain.
 
InuYasha did lean over and whisper in her ear that Sajjanneba was pregnant. He didn't want to announce it to everyone because it was Sesshomaru's place to do so, and InuYasha was pretty certain his older brother would want to explain to Rin first that she was going to have younger siblings.
 
When the remains of their lunch had been cleared away, a now very full and very tired Sajjanneba excused herself to retire back to their chambers to get some much-needed sleep.
 
InuYasha decided he and Kagome had better clear up what he thought was nagging at his brother, and asked if they could speak to him. Sesshomaru just waived at them to follow him to his study. Sesshomaru needed to attend to some paperwork that had been neglected over the last week, anyway.
 
InuYasha pulled Kagome into his lap in one of the chairs in front of the fireplace. Sesshomaru sat across from them and looked at them expectedly.
 
Kagome was wondering what was going on.
 
InuYasha broke the silence, “You're wondering why Kagome isn't pregnant yet.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded as he replied, “You two have been rather active, and I know she's been in heat at least once during that time.”
 
Realization suddenly crossed Kagome's face, and she decided to answer, “Sesshomaru, there isn't anything wrong with either InuYasha or me. You know we told you that I do not come from here.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded his understanding, so she continued, “There we have a way to control pregnancy. I can keep from getting pregnant until we are ready to have children. I still need to finish my education, so I am on birth control for now.”
 
Sesshomaru thought he understood, “So you two can…”
 
InuYasha finished, “Mate like bunnies and not worry about it.”
 
Kagome blushed, but grinned.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
It was decided that Kagome and InuYasha would return to the village in a couple of days. It was time again for the new moon, and they did not want to be trapped on the road when InuYasha was human. Only Shippou and Sesshomaru knew the real reason why they had an early dinner and retired to their quarters. Everyone else assumed the usual.
 
Kagome was starting to appreciate the night of the new moon. While she would never want InuYasha to become human full-time for her, she did enjoy the fact that he was a bit more emotional when he was. InuYasha still had not been able to say he loved her again in his hanyou form, but he was able to when he was human. She also enjoyed that surge of energy that flowed through them when the moonless night was over. She attacked InuYasha one more time before they prepared to make the trip home.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Everyone knew that Sango and Miroku had been making wedding plans, and were probably waiting for the InuYasha and Kagome to come home with Shippou. It was decided that Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba would accompany them, and take Ah-Uhn and Rin. That way Shippou could return to the castle with them after the ceremony.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
This time they were greeted by waving villagers, rather than running and screaming ones. While it was still an odd sight the group presented, this time they landed to shouts of `welcome back!' Everyone had apparently been told who the heroes in the battle were and no longer feared the two-headed dragon or the two Inu-youkai.
 
The village was bustling with activity. Notice had been sent to the neighboring village after the battle and it looked like just about everyone had returned home. They had all cheered at the defeat of Naraku along with the hundreds of demons that had accompanied him. In truth it was the lesser class demons like those that joined Naraku that were usually trouble for humans, not the ones like Lord Sesshomaru. The higher-ranking demons usually preferred to avoid human contact unless necessary.
 
Miroku and Sango ran out to greet them, Sango grabbing Kagome and hugging her. Kirara ran out straight to Shippou, jumping in his arms and licked him on the face. It wasn't long before Kaede joined them to welcome them home.
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha and noticed he had a peculiar grin on his face - she was going to have to ask him what that was about, but turned back to Sango and Miroku's excited chatter as they talked about their wedding plans. They went inside to eat around the fire pit as they continued the discussion.
 
Everything had been prepared and was just waiting for the return of the wayward three. Now that they were back, Miroku and Sango would be able to go ahead. It was decided that they would let everyone know that the wedding celebration would be the following evening, allowing the travelers to get a decent night's rest first.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
After dinner, Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba had led Ah-Uhn back to his favorite pasture by the river, set him free to graze, and then disappeared into the trees. They would be back for the celebration the following evening. Sesshomaru had already given Rin permission to stay with Shippou in the village. The two children had dug out a sketchbook and crayons and were busy chatting and drawing.
 
Kagome just smiled as she watched her friends, excited for them but ready for some rest. She took InuYasha's hand and led him out of the hut. He followed her silently, suspecting where she was leading him. When they were out of sight of the others, he swept her off of her feet and ran for the well.
 
When he reached the well he stood her on her feet and she sat on the wall. He could tell she wanted to discuss something away from the others.
 
“Kagome, what is it? You almost seem sad,” InuYasha asked quietly. He preferred the happy, laughing Kagome.
 
“It just seems that it is all coming to an end - each of us going our separate directions. You and I are going home so I can finish school. Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba have mated and are already starting a family and Shippou is going to live at his castle with Kanti and Tonika. Miroku and Sango are getting married and will be starting their own family soon. I just wonder how much time we will have for each other in the future, that's all,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha had sat down next to her, picked her up and sat her in his lap before he responded, “Before we were all held together by our revenge on Naraku. Now that the fucking bastard is dead, maybe it is time to move on. We'll remain friends with all of them, and I hope our pups will be friends with the pups they have. One thing I've learned in all of this is that you can't cling to the past. It's best to let go and move forward. I almost lost you before I figured that out.”
 
Kagome was silent so he continued, “Sesshomaru finally found a mate that can keep him in line, one worthy of his stature that also gladly accepted Rin. Shippou will learn far more from Kanti and his mate than we would ever be able to teach him. I bet when we go back for him he will want to stay there. It won't surprise me if he doesn't eventually take Rin as his mate. I know you want to go home and finish your schooling as well as be close to your mother. I can't blame you because I like her, too.”
 
“You didn't mention Miroku and Sango - what about them? And what was that funny look you had on your face when we first got back?” Kagome asked.
 
“Well, you know how you said they will be starting their own family soon? How you've wondered if Sango will come to you for advice like Sajjanneba did? I don't think you have to worry about it. It appears that they have already been practicing on their on,” InuYasha had a smirk on his face.
 
“You mean…”
 
“Sango's pregnant.”
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around him and cried.
 
InuYasha was confused - why was she crying? “Kagome, what's wrong?”
 
Kagome was choking on her tears, “I…I…I feel so guilty for being so selfish. Everyone will have children but us. I wanted to finish school and wait. Oh…Oh InuYasha, I'm so sorry.”
 
InuYasha stroked her hair and reached down and licked her tears from her face, “Ssssh…it's OK. I understand your reasons for wanting to wait. And I'll be honest; I've enjoyed having you whenever I wanted without having to worry about it, especially when Naraku was around. We'll have pups when you are ready, not before. I understand that everything in your time moves slower than here. We have a very, very long time to decide. I can wait. I love you.”
 
“I love you, too, InuYasha,” Kagome looked up and he leaned in to kiss her.
 
“You OK, now?” He asked.
 
Kagome nodded her head.
 
“You ready to go and see you mother and spend the night in our comfortable bed, and maybe have a nice, hot bath?”
 
Kagome perked up, “OK.”
 
InuYasha picked her up and jumped in the well.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Sesshomaru had not intended to spy when he had led Sajjanneba into the trees. Somehow he had ended up at the Sacred Tree, as InuYasha and Kagome so often did. He thought he understood now why they came here when they were troubled. There was something about the tree that gave him a sense of peace and cleared his mind.
 
He was telling Sajjanneba that this was the tree that InuYasha had been pinned to when he heard them come to the well. Though he couldn't see them, he could hear them. He was downwind from InuYasha, so he knew that his younger brother would probably not smell him. He could smell the miko's tears and wondered what had happened, so he and his mate ended up eavesdropping to make sure nothing was wrong.
 
He could tell that Sajjanneba was confused by at least part of their conversation, and even more so when their scents abruptly vanished. While he thought he could probably explain the concept of birth control to her, he couldn't explain the mystery of the well to her. While Sesshomaru had sworn to hide nothing from Sajjanneba, this was InuYasha's secret as was the new moon. These were not Sesshomaru's secrets to reveal.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Five hundred years in the future, InuYasha led Kagome by the hand into their home. She called out to her mother who met her in the entry and hugged them both. Once again, they headed for the kitchen to update her on everything.
 
“Mama?”
 
“Yes, dear?”
 
“I've…we've…decided to come back for the year so that I can finish school. I think I can do OK and graduate if I don't have to travel back and forth all the time. Mama, InuYasha will stay here with me. Do you think you and Grandpa can keep him busy and out of trouble?”
 
Mama Higurashi answered her by pulling them both in a hug, “You have no idea how glad I am to hear this. We'll find something for him to do. At least he's easy to please - I just need to have plenty of Ramen.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Then Mama asked, “What about the others?”
 
Kagome started to tell her how they all seemed to be going their separate ways; they had already made arrangements for Shippou to stay at Sesshomaru's castle, and Sango and Miroku were getting married and starting their own family. Kagome had realized that InuYasha was right. Naraku was dead; it was time to move on with the rest of their lives. She was mated and married to the only man she would ever love, and that was all that really mattered.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
They came back around midday. Everything was already prepared for the ceremony, so all they had to do was wait. As gifts, Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba had presented Sango and Miroku with beautiful wedding attire. Sango was spending the afternoon trying to relax and get dressed, but was a nervous wreck. Kagome and Sajjanneba were trying to keep her calm while helping her to dress and do her hair. Fortunately, Kaede finally came in with some tea with special herbs to sooth her nerves. It almost worked too well - they hoped she wouldn't fall asleep during the ceremony.
 
InuYasha was trying to keep Miroku out of trouble. Even on the afternoon of his wedding he was finding it difficult to not proposition the young ladies in the village out of habit.
 
Miroku finally asked InuYasha, “Were you this nervous before your wedding?”
 
InuYasha looked him square in the eye, “I was a bit nervous, but we were already mated so I was pretty certain she wasn't going to change her mind and run.”
 
Miroku looked a bit white, “W...wha…what do you mean?”
 
“I mean that Kagome had already committed herself to me as my mate, and the ceremony was a formality for the humans.” InuYasha was still looking Miroku square in the eye, and a bit of a smirk crossed his face.
 
Miroku color was still draining from his face, “I…I still don't know what you mean.”
 
“I mean that there are some acts, once you commit them, which are a commitment in themselves,” InuYasha stated seriously.
 
“L…li…like what?” Miroku stammered.
 
“Getting pregnant, for one,” InuYasha said rather matter-of-factly.
 
“Sango's pregnant?!” Miroku's eyes opened wide.
 
“Yea, and its too early for her to know yet, so you better not be running out on her if you don't want to answer to me. She's going to bear you the heir that you keep asking every girl you come across for, so you better keep your fucking hands to yourself and never ask another that question again. Got it, bouzo?”
 
Miroku just grinned and nodded. He was going to be a father.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Most of the villagers attended the ceremony and Kaede presided over the vows. Kagome stood by Sango and InuYasha stood next to Miroku. When Miroku finally kissed Sango, everyone erupted in cheers. After dancing and drinking sake into the night, Miroku finally announced it was time for them to go and carried Sango off to their new hut to start their lives together.
 
Kagome did not have to look far for InuYasha. Even though he was uncomfortable in the crowds, he stayed where he could keep an eye on her. When he saw her eyes searching for him, he came up to her from behind, wrapping his hands around her and nuzzling her neck. Kagome's eyes opened wide - this was the first time he had ever made such a public display, especially in front of humans.
 
She turned into him and looked into those beautiful amber eyes, “InuYasha, are you OK?”
 
“Keh…I just still can't believe you're mine,” Still too shy to actually kiss her in front of the others, he just wrapped his arms around Kagome and pulled her in close to hold her.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The next morning came soon enough and it was time for Sajjanneba, Shippou, Rin and Ah-Uhn to return with Sesshomaru to his castle. Shippou thought Kagome was going to squeeze the life of him as she tearfully told him good-bye. InuYasha just told him to pay attention to Kanti and take good care of Rin, and they would come to Sesshomaru's castle after Kagome finished school. Miroku and Sango even stumbled out long enough to exchange their good-byes, and to thank Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba again for the beautiful kimonos they brought for the ceremony. They intended to save them for their children to wear when it was time for them to wed (though first they needed to collect them from where they had been hastily discarded on the floor).
 
After they waved at them until they were only a dot in the sky, Kagome turned to Sango. It was time for her to say goodbye for now. She took her by the hand and they walked away from the others, trying to hide their tears. Kagome promised Sango she would come back and visit when she had breaks from school. After all, it wouldn't be as difficult for her to come through the well for a quick trip as it would be to go and see Shippou, who was four days on foot away.
 
When they came back, Kagome gave Kaede, Sango and Miroku each one last hug. She didn't want them to walk her and InuYasha to the well because she didn't really know when she was going to come back. She considered them her family and had for a long time, but it was time to do some catching up with her own family in the future.
 
InuYasha waited silently for Kagome to finish her goodbyes. While he hoped they weren't permanent, he had long ago learned not to make assumptions, especially regarding the future. When he thought she was ready, he walked up and took her hand. It was time for them to go.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
When they arrived back at the shrine, Kagome found her mother waiting for her and InuYasha. She had made another change in their sleeping arrangements and wanted to show them.
 
They followed Mama Higurashi down the hall to her master bedroom. Kagome gasped when she realized that all of her belongings along with the few InuYasha had were in here. She grinned when she saw the large stuffed chow InuYasha had won for her at the fair sitting in the corner. She didn't know what to say.
 
Mama answered her unspoken question, “You and InuYasha are going to be here permanently now and this room is bigger. I don't really need it any more so I moved up to the guest room I originally planned for you to have. Since the master bedroom is separated more from the rest of the house, you'll have more privacy here. Plus, it has a bigger bath.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha both blushed, Mama just smiled.
 
“Th…Thank you, Mama. I don't know what to say,” Kagome finally was able to speak.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said in agreement. He was still grinning about the words `bigger bath.'
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome had started back to her classes. Now that she was able to attend on a regular basis, she was doing very well. She was doing so well in history she started thinking that if she went to college, she might major in it. She had also started tutoring InuYasha in reading, writing, and even math; giving him homework of his own to keep him occupied while she worked on hers.
 
Because Kagome was married, she was allowed to wear a uniform that was more modest than her previous one. While InuYasha missed her long beautiful legs that the short skirt revealed, he did appreciate the fact that her male classmates were no longer treated to seeing them. Besides, he did still get to see them - just not in public.
 
InuYasha stayed busy around the shine. They had a huge number of objects in storage, and even Grandpa wasn't sure what they all were. With InuYasha's help, they started moving things and pulling down objects and cataloging them. It turned out the shrine had some truly valuable objects that Gramps didn't even know were there. InuYasha was happy because he could even wear his firerat around the shrine whenever he wanted to - visitors just assumed he was in costume, though he did keep a bandana or hat on his head when he was out.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
Kagome came home from school to a complete surprise one day. Usually InuYasha was out waiting for her to come home, but he was nowhere to be seen. Puzzled, she went into the house and called for him. She walked into the living room to find Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba? They stood up when she came in and she ran over and hugged them both, then stood back. They were the same, but different. Sesshomaru was dressed in an extremely well tailored, very expensive suit, and Sajjanneba was wearing a dress of fine silk.
 
“Where did you come from, how did you find me? I'm so glad to see you. Sesshomaru, you have two arms?” Kagome said it all very fast in one breath.
 
“Oi, Kagome, catch your breath and sit down,” InuYasha said as he calmly walked over, picked her up, and sat down with her in his lap.
 
Mama Higurashi came in with tea for the guests. She had been introduced and was still a bit in shock. It was probably a good thing that Grandpa was gone for the afternoon. He had always been throwing sutras at InuYasha who was half demon; she couldn't imagine what he would do if he found out two full demons were sitting in their living room, at least one who was probably over a thousand years old from what Kagome and InuYasha had told her in the past.
 
Sesshomaru waited for everyone to settle in and pulled out a small and very old journal, which he showed to Kagome.
 
Kagome's eyes opened wide at the sight, “Th…that's the journal I wrote my family information in…I'd forgotten…”
 
InuYasha looked at her, “Keh?”
 
Kagome looked at him as she replied, “InuYasha, I didn't know if we would survive the battle with Naraku. On top of that I didn't know if the well would remain open so I could come home. Just before the battle, I gave Sesshomaru my family's information. You know, their names and the name of the shrine and address, along with the approximate date in this time as compared to the battle. I couldn't bear the thought that I might die, or that even if we survived and lived a long and happy life on the other side, that my family might never know what happened to me. I asked Lord Sesshomaru that if anything happened, if he were still alive in this time, that he come and tell my family about how I lived, how I died…to let them know what happened to us.”
 
Kagome turned to Sesshomaru, “But we survived the battle, and now we are here…” She didn't finish her thought.
 
Sajjanneba spoke up, “We've been living on the outskirts of Tokyo, still on the grounds where you visited us in our home. Once we were certain that you had come home for an extended period of time, we just wanted to come and see you, and see if we could help you in any way. Plus, Sesshomaru thought it was about time he showed me where you had disappeared to.”
 
“Oi, what do you mean?” InuYasha asked.
 
“We were by the Sacred Tree the night you came back before Miroku's and Sango's wedding. We didn't intend to eavesdrop, but we overheard your conversation and then you disappeared. It wasn't my secret to tell her, so I've never revealed that to her until now,” Sesshomaru answered him.
 
He continued, “I'll answer the easiest question first,” and waved his right arm as he said, “It's a prosthetic. For five hundred years I managed with one arm, but Sajjanneba was convinced that there were certain activities that might be more enjoyable if I had my left arm and hand back. The technology was good enough now I decided to humor her. We have made use of it.”
 
Kagome blushed, she was pretty certain she knew what Sajjanneba wanted to try.
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “InuYasha, there are things you will need if you decide to stay in this time, like papers that prove your existence, money, that kind of thing. I can help you obtain any of these things that you require. First, let me give you this.”
 
Sesshomaru passed a simple silver chain to InuYasha. “This contains an illusion spell. If you wear it, you can go out in public and look human. You will look mostly the same, but it will disguise your ears, fangs, and claws. We didn't tamper with the color of your hair and eyes, but we can change that if you wish.”
 
“You mean I can wear this and not have to wear hat to cover my ears?” InuYasha was amazed.
 
“Yes - having kitsune in the household that are masters at illusion have been quite helpful.”
 
“Thank you,” Kagome replied for him. InuYasha was still admiring the chain.
 
Sesshomaru continued, “Money will not be a problem if you and Kagome choose to stay in this time. You are actually quite wealthy and there is a large sum held in a trust for you.”
 
“Keh?” InuYasha was confused. Kagome nudged him and said she would explain it all later, but asked, “How is InuYasha wealthy, he didn't own anything, did he?”
 
“I am a man of my word. When I told you and InuYasha to consider my home as yours, I meant it. As the lands in the area were developed, I made quite a fortune. I held the deed to everything that was considered the Western Lands; much of which is now Tokyo. I also made certain that the shrine was built here to protect the Sacred Tree and Bone-Eater's Well. With the money I made from the lands that were sold or developed, I put part in a trust fund for InuYasha in case he needed it one day. It has been growing steadily over the years.” Sesshomaru replied.
 
InuYasha was stunned, “You…you did that for me?”
 
“Yes, little brother.”
 
“But, but why?”
 
“You showed me happiness I would never have had. I had considered taking a mate a weakness until I saw you with Kagome. I can't imagine my life now if Sajjanneba wasn't in it. She's made me stronger, she's made me want to do more.”
 
InuYasha nodded. He understood.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
AN: This is the final chapter of this story, with the exception of an epilogue that will tell what happened with everyone. Thank you to all of you who have read and enjoyed my first story. So much for the one chapter songfic. :o)