InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shippo and the Magic Wand ❯ Part Five ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-
Shippo and the Magic Wand
By Alesyira
-
Canon Universe, Continuation
-
Summary:
And life goes on...
-
Rating:
PG for mild language.
-
Author's Note:
Thanks go to Quirkyslayer for reading this chapter through (omg forever ago) to give me some feedback and pointing out some parts that could use tweaking. I should have wrapped up the little edits that I could come up with when I originally came up with them, but it never came together quite right. Hope you guys enjoy it anyways... :)
-


-
-
Sleepyhead
-
-


"Kagome?"


"Shippo!"


Worri ed, familiar voices pushed through the blank fog that had enveloped my senses. My shoulder felt stiff but no longer ached as I shifted and nuzzled against Kagome. She was warm and smelled like home, and I was sorely tempted to drop back into slumber.


A clawed hand wrapped around my arm and effectively yanked my out of the lethargic comfort. "Oi..." I recognized this voice as Inuyasha's. "Oi - what happened? Are you two okay? Wake up!"


An early morning chill still lingered, and the muted sounds of sparse forest life told me that the sun had not yet risen. I growled in annoyance and absently flicked my fingers at him, wishing he'd disappear for another hour or so.


"Are they alright?" Sango spoke this time, giving me the vague impression that she'd run a long distance due to the strange sound in her voice.


"They're fine, just lazy," Inuyasha grumped with an exxagerated sigh.


"I'll go find him something else to wear," Miroku quietly suggested.


Feeling entirely annoyed that I wouldn't be able to sleep until sun-up, I rolled over and stretched out as far as I could reach. My moment of bliss was broken by the unexpected sound of fabric tearing. 'I suppose this is what Miroku was talking about,' I thought.


I sat up slowly, grimacing a bit as the too-snug pants squashed various sensitive spots. Sighing in weary annoyance, I did the first thing that came to mind to relieve my discomfort - I touched a fingertip to my forehead and focused on the appearance I'd been stuck in for years. The odd shift in my form ended with an involuntary shudder, but as soon as I'd taken on the familiar size, I immediately burrowed back into Kagome's stomach. 'My favorite spot...'


I smirked at Inuyasha's mumbled cursing, but the soft sound of Kagome's heartbeat coupled with the slight motion of her breath sent me right back to exhaustive sleep. We were completely oblivious to the fact that Inuyasha carried us back to Kaede's hut, and we both slept right through breakfast and lunch. (He made sure to complain about it later that night, though...)


The sun was drifting below the treetops when Kagome finally woke. She must have been feeling playful; one moment I was dreaming of dancing candy, and the next... dancing fingertips were attacking my ribs. I kicked out once, then twice, trying to dislodge the evil appendages, but my short legs were no longer up to the task of reaching very far.


I grumbled in resignation, cracking open an eyelid to glance up at Kagome's mischievous expression.


"About time you two got up," Inuyasha said with a slight grin.


"Indeed," Miroku added, stepping into Kaede's hut with a bucket of fresh water. "There is much to be discussed." My gaze immediately fell to his right hand, where the cloth and mala beads had previously sealed his kazaana. He met my gaze with a wink and the brief flash of a smile before sitting next to Sango. "It appears that while we were separated, our quest was completed."


Maybe it was just me, but this seemed like a slightly awkward moment. I mean... how do you tell your friends that everything we've fought so hard for --for years-- ended in one evening while they were off running unimportant errands? 'Oh yeah, we killed lots of demons and finally finished the old bastard off!'


Kagome must have been thinking along the same lines. "Yep..." she said, absently twisting my bangs into odd directions.


"So," Sango leaned forward with an eager expression, "tell us what happened!"


Kagome laughed a bit nervously and pulled my tiny frame against her stomach in a near-uncomfortable squeeze. Whatever went through her head at that request must have stressed her out, and with good reason; I imagined it had something to do with the vine and her permanent change in appearance. "Well... Naraku sent some demons first to wear us down and waste my arrows. It was a tough battle, but Shippo fought magnificently," she cooed down at me. I had to grimace and roll my eyes at her overly cute expression... "When I had but one arrow remaining, Naraku appeared to gloat about his impending victory. Then he noticed that Shippo wasn't small anymore and was going to absorb him..."


"And then Kagome saved me! It was so cool, as soon as I got out of his grip Kagome tempted him with the Shikon and he took the bait and Kagome purified him before he could escape!"


Everyone in the hut stared at me in confusion for a good two minutes.


"And that's what happened!" I exclaimed, puffing my tail in agitation at the lack of response. "Well?" I'd be damned if they sat there like a herd of stupid cattle.


"I see," Miroku said with a nod. "We also encountered our own battle on our return trip. A group of youkai children insisted on a fight to the death for reasons we -at that time- could not comprehend."


"They were almost too fast for us to handle," Sango murmured, stroking Kirara's fur. "There were six of them, and they all seemed to hold exceptional skill in cooperative acrobatic maneuvers, as well as various elemental tricks that kept us running and fighting for hours."


Miroku frowned as he picked up the story. "They fought with a rage born of desperation, and only at the end of the battle did we understand their motives. Their youngest sibling, one we had yet to see, materialized with a violent shaking of the earth that surprised us all and stopped our battle. She was nothing but an apparition, and her elder brothers and sisters fell to their knees in sadness at her appearance. She told them to return home, for her death had been avenged by a 'holy red warrior.'"


I felt Kagome tense slightly just as I realized what the ghost must have meant, but no one in the room seemed to notice either of our responses to the odd description. "Apparently," Miroku continued, "Naraku had kidnapped the girl and ordered her siblings to fight against us if they wanted her back safely."


"How sad," Kagome whispered. Sango nodded miserably, and I knew that her thoughts had settled on her lost brother, dead now for over a year. Naraku had taken the life-sustaining shard to distract us from his retreat during a fierce winter's battle...


Everyone turned to look expectantly at Inuyasha, who'd sat against the wall in compete silence since I'd woken. "What?" he complained.


Miroku smiled warmly at Kaede as she offered him a cup of tea. He flashed a smirk at the annoyed hanyou after taking a careful sip. "Surely you have some tale to share with us, Inuyasha?"


"Keh, it's not like I was on vacation, hanging out in Sesshou's Sparkle Spot or something," he said. "Look, some stupid bitches thought they would pick a fight with us. They ran off before we could kill them." Sango betrayed her disbelief with a slight quirk of an eyebrow. "I don't give a damn what you fuckers think," Inuyasha growled, standing quickly.


"Inuyasha!" Kagome scolded, giving him a fierce glare. "Watch your language!"


"Whatever," he mumbled. "They fled before we could finish them off. They just wanted a spar or something, I guess."


"I wasn't trying to call you a liar, Inuyasha. I was just curious if your brother had to save you from evil women..." Sango grinned, reaching over to punch him in the shoulder.


"I don't need saving from any stupid girls." Inuyasha turned his nose up in a spoiled pout. "It was a good fight, two on two."


"Pray tell, Inuyasha... Were they so lovely to behold that you lost the will to fight them?" Miroku flashed him a sly grin. I noticed Sango curling her fists in annoyance, but she managed to refrained from striking him - yet. "They must have heavenly beings to have bested one such as yourself, not to mention your brother."


"Half-brother," Inuyasha spat in annoyance, shoving his hands into his sleeves to avoid strangling the annoying monk. "Plus, they were mostly see-through."


This gained the monk's full hentai-minded attention, and his expression turned dreamy and appreciative. "Is that so? Are you perhaps speaking of the mystical ethereal sprites that drape themselves in luminous wisps of fabric?"


'Oh man, here we go again...' I watched on in barely veiled amusement as Sango scowled and set aside her tea. I'm sure she was fully intent on dragging him outside to teach him a lesson, although whether her lessons would involve more pain than pleasure that evening, we would never know.


-
-
Things Change
-
-


Just as Sango grabbed hold of her beloved's ear, Kikyo stepped into the hut. "Kagome," she greeted with a slight nod. Her voice was quiet and serene, reflecting her newfound inner peace. It was a bit strange to hear her speak with such soft tones... "Come, we must seal the jewel."


I wasn't sure what she meant by 'seal the jewel,' but I put faith in Kagome's choice as she set me on the ground next to her and stood to join the undead miko at the hut's doorway.


"I'll be back in a little while," Kagome said, smiling back at us before walking outside.


Silence fell over the hut for a short while as we stared into the cooking fire. "Here, Shippo," Miroku said, handing me a bundle of fabric.


"Oh, thanks." I clutched the humongous package to my little chest and, without any further words, sped out of the hut, realizing that of all the time I'd been growing so quickly, I hadn't yet looked at my reflection to see the changes.


Daylight waned as I hurried to the spring and slid to a noisy stop on the pebbled shore. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, wondering how drastic my change would be.


I exhaled and relaxed...


As easily as the air escaped my lungs, the slip of youki that clung to my body and effortlessly allowed it to retain the shape of a young kit swirled and faded into nothing.


I could feel the tickle along my shoulders and back as my hair lengthened. Several heartbeats passed before everything grew still once more and I opened my eyes.


Prolonging the moment of discovery, I ignored my reflection and brought my hand into sight, admiring the pale blue strips of color that encircled my fingers. My gaze shifted to the reflective surface before me and my tail -long enough now to brush the pebbled shore- practically curled in anticipation.


I eased to my knees at the edge of the water and slipped my hands into the cool liquid, barely disturbing the calm surface. My hair, still bound in the usual ponytail, slid across my left shoulder and brushed past my elbow as I looked down at the reflection.


'That's not me,' I thought, shocked at my own appearance. While it was true that I could not recall exactly how many summers had passed since Mother's death, there was no way that I could be as old as...


"What's taking you so long, runt?" Inuyasha landed behind me with a soft rustle of cloth. I didn't even bother to turn toward him as I traced a finger from my brow to my chin, wondering at the familiar bone structure that so resembled my father's...


"Shippo?" Inuyasha asked a bit hesitantly. I thought he wouldn't be surprised at my growth, since they'd seen us that morning before I shape-shifted to my smaller size, but maybe I'd grown some more while we'd slept...?


"Yeah." Even my voice was barely recognizable. "Kami," I whispered, running my gaze over the lean arms and torso that my older form possessed. There was no trick to this appearance... No effort put into practicing a set image, no conscious thought to alter my physique to match what I might have thought looked great....


I turned slightly to reach for the haori Miroku had gotten for me and shrugged it on as I stood to face Inuyasha. "Well," he grinned, "I guess I can't call you 'runt' anymore." He and I were almost the same height... someone could even argue that we may have been born within a year of one another.


I couldn't help but smirk at the knowledge that, no matter how tall I grew to be, he'd still call me runt. "Did they finish with the jewel already?" I asked, feeling out of place as the unfamiliar tenor voice spilled from my throat.


"Not yet. They're over by the Goshinboku, but there's no way in hell I'd bother the two of them while they're busy. They're likely to sit my ass until tomorrow morning," he muttered, stuffing his arms into his billowy red sleeves. "So," he said, glancing in my direction as I tied my belt. "This is what you're supposed to look like?"


My eyebrow rose and my mouth twitched in amusement. "Why?" I couldn't help the swell of kitsune pride at his apparent admiration.


"Just makin' sure you weren't copying someone else to fool us again," he said, kicking a small rock out of his path. "Holy red warrior, huh?" he said, casting an interested glance in my direction. I stilled, turning only slightly to indicate I was listening. "Did you pick up some flashy new moves with your towering height?"


I relaxed and looked at the ground with a grin on my face. "Maybe a thing or two," I said. I couldn't have hoped for a better explanation that avoided mention of Kagome's permanent change. If she wasn't ready to tell the group, then I wasn't about to reveal her secret. "Maybe I can give you lessons later."


As quickly as the idea of teasing Inuyasha flashed through my head, the knowledge that Kagome was nearby (and probably doing something cool) came to the front of my mind, pushing aside everything else. Curiosity got the better of me - it always did. I leapt away from Inuyasha, veering off the path back to the village toward the ancient God's Tree. "Where are you... Oi! Leave them the fuck alone! Shippo!" I heard Inuyasha shout after me.


-
-
Condensation
-
-


It didn't matter if he tried to come after me as I darted quickly from tree to tree. All I needed was a peek to see what they were up to... I arrived without a sound and stared down at the two girls sitting perfectly still below. Their hands were loosely clasped together around the Shikon no Tama, which could barely be seen between their interlocked fingers. No sounds of motion came from behind me, so I was satisfied that he had not followed (probably out of fear.)


The air seemed to condense and thicken around the two mikos, growing heavy with the weight of a constricting spell. The blades of grass around them bowed under the invisible force; the tree limbs around me shuddered and groaned in protest. The light of the jewel disappeared as they clenched their fingers together, and that burden of power rushed to that small space between them.


I blinked in confusion, realizing that they had sealed away the immense power of that accursed jewel. I could no longer see the strange glow it had emanated, nor feel the strange tickle of energy that called out to my kind...


"It is done," Kikyo whispered, relinquishing control of the shiny orb to Kagome.


"Thank you, Kikyo. I'd have never been able to do that on my own." She smiled and draped the chain around her neck once more.


"Kagome," Kikyo reached out to touch the other miko's shoulder with slight hesitation. Kagome gazed at the other miko in concern and I felt a nagging fear settle low in my stomach. "The jewel should be returned to where it belongs."


"Oh," Kagome said, not seeming the least bit surprised. "Alright, we can take it up to the shrine before we go back to Kaede's..."


"Not there," Kikyo interrupted.


"Um, alright..." Kagome looked thoughtful for a moment before speaking again, "We can make a trip to Midoriko's cave, then, before I go home. It'll only take a few days..." Kagome trailed off as Kikyo shook her head.


Looking even more confused than she had a moment before, Kagome took the jewel from around her neck and held it out for the older miko to take.


"No, Kagome. I am no longer the guardian of the Shikon no Tama. That task became your duty when I died and it returned to this realm through you." Kagome's hand drew back to her chest, settling the jewel over her heart as Kikyo spoke, comprehension dawning on her face. "And it must return from whence it came."


Kagome's free hand settled absently over the old scar on her hip, and my nagging fear exploded into horror as Kikyo nodded affirmative and withdrew a knife from inside her sleeve.


My eyes narrowed as anger welled up from deep within me. 'If she dares hurt Kagome...'


"B-but," Kagome stammered, "I can't - not anymore. It wouldn't be safe," she whispered, leaning forward a bit.


"Why not? Your soul is pure, and once the sealed jewel is within you again, it would be impossible for youkai to detect..."


"But Kikyo, I'm a-" Kikyo cut her off before she could continue.


"I know. Kaede has confided in me so that we could adequately prepare. It is as I have said, and there is no safer place for it to rest."


Kagome chewed on her lip as she considered Kikyo's proposal. My claws dug into the bark that I'd perched upon as I waited to see what would happen.


She nodded her consent. My muscles tensed in preparation to spring. No one would spill Kagome's blood if I had anything to do about it. Kikyo made no motion, and I glared down at her, wondering why she was stalling.


Without making any sudden movements, she carefully placed the blade on the ground, hilt-first. "You can come down, now, Shippo." Kikyo hadn't even needed to look up, but Kagome seemed mildly surprised at the fact that I was there.


I slid from my branch and landed in a crouch next to the girls, a frown on my face as I stared down at the sharp blade. I didn't want to see Kagome injured at all, especially during our time of well-deserved peace, but if it was necessary to protect the jewel... Kagome took my hand in hers and squeezed it tight, giving me a reassuring smile. She trusted Kikyo to help her do what was best for us all, and that would unfortunately involve a little bit of voluntary bloodshed. I brushed the back of her hand against my cheek and swallowed back the protective anger that had threatened to overwhelm.


The older miko gave me the option to assist her, but I shook my head quickly, knowing I couldn't cause Kagome pain. It was hard to watch Kikyo make an incision above her hip, especially when Kagome grimaced and choked back a sob of pain. Claws dug painfully into my palms as I did my very best to not rip the blade from her fingers... But after a grueling moment of blood and pain, Kikyo had tucked the jewel into Kagome's flesh and with deft fingers, carefully stitched the wound shut.


"When we get back to Kaede's hut, we'll make some tea to help dull the pain," Kikyo said, standing with practiced grace. Kagome made to stand as well, but I quickly gathered her up into my arms, ignoring her half-hearted grumble of protest as I followed Kikyo back along the path to the village.


I glanced down at her as she curled her fingers into the front of my haori. "Are you going to tell the others?" I whispered.


She shook her head once. I knew she must have had good reasons for not telling her closest friends the changes she had gone through, but I couldn't imagine that they'd react negatively to the truth... Maybe... they'd be concerned about her having the Shikon within her if they knew of her new form?


Kikyo held open the entrance to Kaede's hut and allowed us to enter first. Sango, Miroku and Inuyasha were immediately on their feet with questions and concerns over Kagome's well-being. (Of course, it didn't help that I'd carried her into the hut.)


"It's okay, everyone. I'm fine." She wriggled out of my arms and sat carefully by the fire as Kikyo put together some herbs for her tea. I arranged her bedding behind her and helped her recline against it. "Thanks," she beamed at me. My face flushed slightly at the praise before she tugged on my sleeve to sit beside her.


"It seems that you were successful in sealing away the jewel's radiant presence," Miroku noted.


"Yep," Kagome gave a half-grin as she gingerly patted her hip. "It's back where it belongs, and should be pretty much undetectable." Kikyo handed her a steaming cup and she sipped in silence.


"I'm surprised the runt is still standing after spying on you two." I couldn't help but grin at Inuyasha's disgruntled expression.


Kagome looked slightly sheepish as she absently rubbed the back of her neck. "Actually, I didn't realize he was there."


Kikyo nodded once in agreement. "The sealing required immense concentration. I did not realize he was there until I sensed his concern for Kagome's welfare." My face flushed even more in embarrassment as everyone in the hut turned to look at me.


-
-
Tease
-
-


The quest that had defined our lives for the past three years had ended. Miroku's curse had finally been broken; the looming threat of death would no longer hinder him from living a full and happy life, full of curse-free children. We had avenged Sango's family, and over the years, she and Miroku had begun taking on new students to begin replenishing the numbers of the taijiya. Through seemingly endless trials, we had finally managed to locate and complete the jewel, restoring and returning it to its rightful place. Even Kikyo and Inuyasha had found peace in one another.


The only thing we had left to worry about was Kagome... Would she stay with us? Would she decide to go home and never come back? ...Maybe she could visit on occasion...


Miroku broke the contemplative silence. "With the power of the Shikon no Tama sealed away, will the Bone Eater's Well allow you passage home?"


Kagome frowned and opened her mouth to respond, but Kikyo interrupted by raising her hand. "It does not matter. We will find a way to return Kagome to her time."


It was obvious that we all understood what this meant. Inuyasha's grip on Tessaiga's sheath noticeably tightened, Miroku and Sango grasped each other's hands, and Kirara buried her nose in the fluffy tip of my tail. Kagome quietly held her tea and stared blankly into the fire. No one wanted to consider it, but if she needed Kikyo's help to get home one last time, chances were good that she'd never be able to come back.


The quiet melancholy that had settled over our group made me sigh in annoyance. If we all sat around and wallowed in our misery, then when Kagome went home, all we'd be left with would be forever-depressing memories of our last moments with her.


I reclined next to Kagome and carefully examined my claws. I glanced up at Inuyasha and caught his eye with a mischievous grin. "So, Inuyasha," I drawled. "Tell Kagome all about those girls that kicked your butt so that she has something to laugh about when she goes home..."


He scowled at me in annoyance. "Look, runt - it was a good fight. No one got their butt kicked."


"It sounds interesting, Inuyasha," Kagome smiled. "If you and your brother had a tough fight and no one was killed, then your opponents must have been just as amazing as you two..."


Ah yes, stroking Inuyasha's ego was the easiest way to get him to start talking...


I watched Kagome out of the corner of my eye as Inuyasha, then Miroku and Sango, related the battles fought the previous evening. It was surreal - almost like a dream of the happy ending we'd chased after for so long... Kagome smiled and laughed with our friends late into the night, but it was easy to see the telltale signs of her weariness.


As much as I hated to admit it - it would be better for Kagome if she were to go home. Not only did she need to rebuild her life with her family, but I had no idea how much longer I'd be unconsciously taking her energy to speed my own growth.


But it was so easy to picture stealing her away... I could wait until everyone thought she had gone, and then I would take her with me. I'd treasure her and keep her safe and give her presents and together we'd be able to see everything the world had to offer...


I doubt anyone noticed my distance that night... There was so much for everyone to think about - with Naraku gone and the quest for the Shikon finally at an end, there was hope for a future. A long, happy, fulfilling future.


Once the humans had fallen asleep, Inuyasha and I stepped outside the hut to sit in silence. "Where will you go?" he asked me. I hadn't thought it would be obvious, but I'd spent the last few hours thinking of where I'd like to travel.


I glanced sideways at him; he wasn't even looking at me. "Northwest. I think I'll go look for my parents' homelands... My father's should be easy enough to find, but I'm not so sure about where Mother was born."


"I think the villagers are planning some kind of feast for this week," he said.


"Doesn't matter," I murmured. "I'm saying goodbye to her tomorrow. I can't sit around and think about her leaving for much longer, and there's no way I can watch her go." I dug my claws into the dirt beneath me, watching in minor amusement as glowing blue liquid filled the furrows. 'It would probably not be a good idea to play with fire outside of Kaede's hut...'


Inuyasha must have understood my reason for needing to leave, because he didn't say anything for a while. "Don't stay away too long. I figure Sango is going to have babies before next summer..."


'Hmm. Sango and Miroku with kids... if they take after their parents, then everyone nearby will have their hands full...' It would be too amusing to miss. "I'll come back soon."


"Before you leave, come find me. There's something I think you should see." I nodded once, only slightly curious about his intentions. My thoughts had centered entirely on Kagome, and would probably remain that way for a while.


Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his ear twitch and twist toward the sound of Taro's cat-turned-horse snorting in its sleep. I knew he was curious about the animal, but I feigned ignorance and slipped back into the hut.


Kagome had curled her fist under her chin as she slept - she had a slight frown on her face. I held my breath as I crept close enough to smooth a finger over her cheek; I smiled as her expression relaxed. It took a moment to find a spare sheet of her paper and a pen - somehow I knew that using crayon was out of the question that night.


Before the sun rose the next morning, I had written everything I could think to tell her on that single sheet of paper and tucked it safely into her backpack. I hope that she could read my handwriting, because I knew I'd probably never get the chance to say what I really wanted to say...


-
-
Parting is such sweet...
-
-


I sat on the limb of a nearby tree that morning as I waited for her to emerge from Kaede's hut. Rays of the early-morning sun filtered through the leaves behind me and warmed my shoulders. Taro's horse galloped beneath my branch and broke the peaceful silence... followed shortly by Inuyasha, who shot by in a blur of red and white as he chased after the fleeing animal. It was terribly amusing and I felt half-tempted to follow behind them to see what further mischief I could cause - until Kagome stepped into the morning light.


I dropped to the ground in front of her and held out my hand, beckoning her to follow me. We walked a short distance until the village was no longer in sight, and then I turned to face her. I kept my expression carefully blank, but she somehow knew something was seriously bothering me.


"Kagome..." I began, but I found I was unable to form the words that I wanted to say. 'I guess a letter was the best idea, then.'


She frowned up at me and held my hands between her own. It's hard to imagine that she had no idea what was troubling me... Considering everything we'd been through, I think the only reason I could be sad was the fact that she and I would soon part ways. Maybe she thought that we'd have time to work through our pain; maybe she wanted me to confide in her for support. I don't know...


All she did was give me that expression of concern... one that she'd turned my way when I'd had scrapes and bruises or in (rarely occurring) stressful situations...


I stepped closer to her and pushed aside her unruly black bangs with a fingertip. I stared into those blue eyes for some time before my hand slid down her arm to hook onto the thin silver of her bracelet. I pulled it free and watched as her black hair faded to red and her face took on the distinct markings of a kitsune female.


I leaned close and touched my forehead to hers. "We're like this," I said, repeating something she'd said to me very recently. I touched my crossed fingers above her heart, "Always together."


"Shippo," Kagome whispered. I closed my eyes as tears spilled down her cheek; she understood the pain I was going through. She was the only person I cherished more than my own life, and the misery of losing her was eating me up inside. I trembled in sudden fright, afraid of my pain and anger. I had to escape the overwhelming flood of emotion before I did something I'd regret later...


'I'm such a coward.' I couldn't even bear to say goodbye to her, so I pressed my lips to her forehead and ran away as fast as I could. I knew that eventually she'd find the letter I'd left... As well as discover every remnant of her candy stash (ahem - technically my candy) missing.


Once I'd gained a good distance between the two of us, I doubled back to watch her from afar. She slipped the bracelet back on her wrist and walked to the nearest tree, leaning against it for support. I couldn't hear her sobs, but I knew she was crying. I hadn't meant to say goodbye to her in such an abrupt manner, but the desire to never let her go was too strong for me to ignore.


I stalked away through the shadowed forest, berating myself for stupid behavior and pathetic cowardice. Tears had formed in my eyes, but I stubbornly refused to let them fall. I was angry and confused, and- 'Why the hell didn't just I use my pouty face on her?' I smashed a clenched fist against my forehead in frustration and kicked a rock off the trail as I scowled.


Inuyasha dropped into my path and stared at me with his head tilted slightly. "Going already?" he asked, moving to walk beside me.


I shrugged one of my shoulders and made a noncommittal sound.


"Come on, then," he said, leaping forward and out of sight. I hesitated only briefly before following. In a matter of seconds, we'd arrived at the clearing by the old well. The ground still looked mostly charred and torn from various blasts, but someone had taken the time to collect the youkai remains and discarded weaponry.


Inuyasha stood a short distance away, his back toward me. As I approached him, I realized that something seemed out of place in the otherwise demolished field... There was a relatively large patch of flora (grass, flowers, curling vines, even things that looked like fluffy pink and blue candy growing on thin stalks) growing in one spot. I stared down at the oddity in confusion. "This was where you were when you woke up. We were all worried about you two when we realized that our own fights had been diversions. When I got close to the village, I could smell the smoke and blood..."


He cast a critical gaze in my direction, as though sizing me up. "I understand that you've grown a lot since this whole fiasco started, and I know that Kagome isn't a pushover when it comes to her battle skills, but to think that the two of you took on Naraku and his army is so hard to believe... Is there something I need to know about before you take off?" He looked pointedly at the excessive flower growth.


"That's her decision," I murmured. "She has her reasons for not saying anything right now..."


"I know that something has changed with her. I can't put my finger on it, but something smells off."


"You'll probably be the first person she confides in if something goes wrong," I said, watching him closely. "She's going to try to go home soon... but if she can't make it through, will you send someone for me?"


"Sure. You know... you could just stick around and find out for yourself." He grinned as if he knew exactly what was bothering me.


I bit my lip to hold back a snarl of anger. He had no clue how much I wanted to... wanted to... I took a deep breath and turned away from him. "I would stay if I knew I could." My voice had a tight edge to it, and I felt pressed to hit him. I don't know where the unfounded desire to cause harm stemmed from, but I controlled the urge and leapt from the clearing.


As I sped away once again, there was no doubt in my mind that I loved Kagome enough to let her go...


-
-
And Then...
-
-


Two weeks. Two lonely, miserable weeks.


Every day after I'd left Kagome crying at that tree trunk felt like a year. It was hard to eat, and it was near impossible to sleep. Not even my prized candy helped cheer me up.


I stood silently on the bank of a wide river, contemplating whether I wanted to swim or attempt 'flying' across when a sharp prick on my cheek pulled me from my musings. I slapped my hand against the nuisance and wasn't terribly surprised to see the tiny old flea demon, Myouga, squashed flat against my palm. "It's good to see you in fine health, young Shippo," he squeaked out.


I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, but the tiniest glimmer of possibility sparked to life in my thoughts. (...Okay, so maybe the glimmer was closer to a blazing fire.) I was so anxious to discover what he had to say, I could barely choke out a word to ask. "News?"


Once the flea demon had reformed himself and adjusted his clothing, he sat crosslegged in my palm and tucked his four hands into the crooks of his elbows. He closed his eyes and nodded sagely. "Her departure was a magnificent event that I will never forget."


I could feel my hopes deflate like a squashed puffball mushroom. (...I have to wonder sometimes at how often my hopes get dashed like that. Maybe I should start expecting the worst, so that I can enjoy the few things that go right?)


The process had apparently been both physically and emotionally draining, calling for Kikyo's expertise as well as the assistance of three other youkai. Myouga entertained the notion that Kikyo's spell required a mixture of power that would be reminiscent of the Shikon no Tama before he began his very lengthy recollection of every detail I had no interest in.


"How long has she been gone?" I asked, interrupting his lengthy description of Kouga's ceremonial battle vestments.


Myouga cleared his throat, visibly disturbed that his fascinating retelling of the event had been interrupted. "Eight days. She left with the setting of the sun, a symbolic connection with her journey-"


"Wait, you said Kouga was there?" I interrupted again.


Myouga may have been annoyed at the new disruption, but he shifted topics so quickly that it was as though he'd planned it himself.


"Kouga was necessary for the spell's completion. You were originally intended to participate, but when you left, they had to locate a replacement powerful enough and worthy of Kagome's secret."


Whatever Myouga said next faded into half-ignored mumbles as that information sunk in. 'She needed me to get home...' a knot formed in my throat and a flush of shame and guilt crept across my face and neck.


I only half-listened as Myouga went on to describe the plans being laid for a new shrine to replace the old - to honor the Kami's great plan that had ended the struggle for the Shikon no Tama... 'blah blah blah.'


The sun began to sink over the dense forest to the west, casting a bright glow across the thin clouds overhead.


My thoughts were a jumble and my emotions wouldn't stop racing in circles, but I knew I could always count on one thing: the sun would soon set and arise once again in the morning to cast everything in new light...


At least I wouldn't worry anymore about whether Kagome had left or not...


Myouga continued to talk as I stood to watch the setting sun. I knew that no matter what, I had to see her again. Five hundred years would be a terribly long wait, but it would give me plenty of time to learn how to control my growing abilities - as well as mull over what I'd done to my favorite female...


I'm not sure how much time passed as Myouga chattered on about everything. I had to smirk at the fleeting thought that he must have not been permitted to speak his mind when he was last in the group's presence.


I scented the breeze and stretched my limbs as far as I could reach, barely catching the end of one of Myouga's rumors. "...has also been rumor of an evil youkai terrorizing a nearby shrine. He has slowly destroyed each of the shrine's most precious and rare plants, and the guards have asked for-"


His sentence was cut off with an undignified squeak of protest as I pushed off from the riverbank with a mighty leap. "Young Shippo! This is not the correct direction to-" I wasn't surprised at the panicked note to his voice.


"I'm not ready to play hero yet, Myouga. I already wasted my childhood chasing after and running from badguys..."


"If you are not ready to save lives or property -nor return home- where is your intended destination?" He almost sounded resigned...


"The northwest, to the homeland of my father's family."


Apparently, no more needed to be said, for Myouga merely held on to my haori as I shot through the trees.


-
-
Final Author's notes:


Now then, there is a lot in store for this fic. Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru's battle with the sisters deserves a (big) bit of writing, as well as Sango and Miroku's fight with the kids. That will come later, when I can muster up the effort, along with a short chapter covering Kikyo's life-changing trip and the cost that came with it...


The sequel has so much backstory and setup that if I don't get back to writing it soon, I'll go crazy. I've even done character designs for two of my OCs... The sequel is going to be a crossover fic, at least partially. I will definitely be pulling a few concepts from YYH, but how much more get used is really up to how I feel when it gets to that point...

So:

TO BE CONTINUED!! :D