InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Temple of the Dog - chapter 16

 

 

         &nb sp;  It was still dark when Kagome woke up.  She moved to snuggle next to Inuyasha, only to discover his side of the bed was empty.

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha?"  The priestess sat up and peered into the shadows that filled most of the room. 

         &nb sp;  The hanyou moved away from the wall where he had been leaning, deep in thought.  "What's wrong?" 

         &nb sp;  "Nothing.  I just expected you to be next to me.  I didn't know you were already awake." 

         &nb sp;  "I didn't really sleep much.  I don't feel comfortable sleeping when I'm like this."  He paused and studied his fingernails.  "My senses aren't very good when there's a new moon." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded and patted the bed next to her.  "Why don't you come back to bed?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha smiled.  "Now that you're awake, I'm sure we can find something to do."  He covered the short distance to the bed and crawled onto the soft mattress next to the priestess. 

         &nb sp;  "What are you doing?" Kagome asked as Inuyasha poised himself over her.  He leaned towards her and kissed her as he gently pressed her back onto the bed.  She snaked her arms around his neck and raised her head, meeting his mouth as he kissed her again. 

         &nb sp;  "You were almost in trouble a little while ago," he mumbled as he sat back on his heels and pulled her into his lap. 

         &nb sp;  "Trouble?"  Kagome's voice was full of concern as she looked around them, wondering if perhaps a snake had made its way into their room. 

         &nb sp;  "Yeah," he mumbled as he buried his face in her dark hair.  "You looked so beautiful lying there…"  He let his gaze travel to her bare chest, pausing before raising his eyes to meet hers.  "But, I figured you'd probably get mad at me if I woke you up that way." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome blushed, suddenly shy about her lack of clothing.  "Inuyasha," she gasped as she twisted in his arms and reached for her robes, which still lay on the end of the bed. 

         &nb sp;  "You don't need that," he said as he nuzzled her neck.  "It's not like I haven't seen you already." 

         &nb sp;  "It's not the same.  You're staring at me!"  She struggled to reach her robes, only to have Inuyasha grab them and toss them behind him as he secured her with his other arm. 

         &nb sp;  "I like to look at you," he drawled, enjoying her obvious embarrassment.  She looked exceptionally beautiful with the blush that spread across her cheekbones. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome opened her mouth, but found herself unable to respond.  He was her husband, and her deity.  She was hardly in the position to deny him anything, even if it was looking at her bare flesh.  He was equally naked and she suddenly realized that her own gaze had dropped to his lap.  She wasn't experienced with men, but she was sure that he would be considered exceptionally well endowed.  She blushed again when she realized what she was thinking. 

         &nb sp;  "Looks like I'm not the only one who likes to look," he said as he cupped one hand under her chin and tipped her face to meet his as he kissed her gently. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she stammered at his comment, but molded her lips to his and closed her eyes.   Her fingers traveled to his ears, tracing their shape.  "I still can't get used to these," she whispered as she looked closely at him in the dim light.  She ran her fingers through his dark hair and placed her hands where his ears normally peeked out of his unruly bangs.  "You look so different." 

         &nb sp;  "Good or bad different?" he mumbled. 

         &nb sp;  "Not good or bad.  I love the way you look both ways, but I'm just used to you the other way." 

         &nb sp;  "You won't have to wait long," he grumbled as he pulled her to him.  "The sun should be coming up soon." 

         &nb sp;  The sound of birds flying from the nearby river came in through the rough opening in the stone wall that served as a window while a slight breeze rustled the dry reeds that grew in clusters around the temple.  Inuyasha sniffed the air and nodded, his senses already starting to return to normal as the sun rose unseen beyond the stone walls of their room. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha!"  Kagome gasped as she watched his ears slowly retreat under his hair and reappear as white triangles of fur on top of his head.  His black hair began to show streaks of silvery white as it also returned to normal.  Kagome watched in amazement as his eyes changed from a dark lavender to amber.  His transformation took only moments. 

         &nb sp;  "Sun's up." 

         &nb sp;  "So, this goes on every time there's a new moon?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha nodded and looked at the window.  The first rays of sunlight had finally found the opening and were washing the room in a gentle glow.  "You said you wanted to bathe in the river." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded as she snuggled against him, her hands reaching up to caress his soft ears.  "I need a real bath."  

         &nb sp;  "I thought you liked your bath last night," he commented dryly as he dropped his face to her chest and ran his tongue across her bare breast. 

         &nb sp;  "I loved it," she stammered as his touch sent shivers through her.  "But, I still need a real bath.  I wonder if I'll ever be able to get all the sand out of my hair from our trip back." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha laughed softly.  "We live in a desert.  You can't get rid of the sand."   He released her and watched as she stood up and grabbed her robe, sliding her arms through the sleeves before turning to face him. 

         &nb sp;  "That's hardly making a difference." 

         &nb sp;  The sheer fabric showed every line of her body.  "Where's my dress?"  Kagome turned and searched the floor around the bed.

         &nb sp;  "It's in the other room," Inuyasha commented as he moved to stand by her.  He slid his arms around her and pulled her against him.  

         &nb sp;  "Are we going to the river or not?"   Kagome was having trouble focusing as Inuyasha ran his hands lightly up and down her spine.  He slid them to her backside and gently grabbed her firm, round butt in his hands. 

         &nb sp;  "We're going to the river," he answered before leaning down to kiss her.  "The rest will have to wait for tonight, unfortunately." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome blushed and pushed herself away from him.  "My lord," she stammered softly. 

         &nb sp;  "You don't have to do that." 

         &nb sp;  The priestess smiled shyly.  "Force of habit." 

         &nb sp;  "We'll just have to teach you some new habits."  He grabbed her hips and pulled her against him again.  Her scent filled his head as he captured her lips and kissed her long and hard.

         &nb sp;  "I do need to breathe," she complained jokingly when he finally released her. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha turned and glanced at the window with a puzzled expression.  "I thought they wouldn't be here until they brought our lunch."  He grabbed a kilt from a wooden chest next to the bed and wrapped it around himself as he moved to the mat covering the door and pushed it aside for Kagome. She quickly walked to the main chamber of the temple and searched for her dress from the night before. 

         &nb sp;  "Who's here?" 

         &nb sp;  "I hear voices coming this way from the village," he explained as he moved to the outer doors and removed the wooden bar that held them closed.  They slid open easily for him as he stepped through them into the sunlight beyond. 

         &nb sp;  The sun was still low, but it was light enough to see a small group of men walking across the sand.  Several of them appeared to be carrying tools.   They stopped in front of Inuyasha when they reached the temple. 

         &nb sp;  "My lord," their leader said as he bowed to the deity.  "We do not mean to disturb you, but wish to work on the repairs to your temple.  The work is easiest in the early part of the day, before the sun becomes unbearable.  If you wish us to leave…"  He motioned vaguely with his hands, indicating the way back to the village. 

         &nb sp;  "Feh!"  Inuyasha shook his head and glanced at the column that was being carved to replace the one that Sango had destroyed with her boomerang.  "Do what you have to do," he said roughly, "but you are not to go to the river until after Kagome and I return."  He narrowed his eyes and looked pointedly at each member of the repair crew. 

         &nb sp;  "Of course, my lord," the crew leader said as he gave his men a stern look.  He would be sure that none of them left the temple. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted and turned to Kagome, who had slipped on her dress before joining him at the temple doors.   She held a second, clean gown and robes plus a fresh kilt for Inuyasha in her hands.  "We'd better get going."

         &nb sp;  The priestess nodded.  "I'm ready."  

         &nb sp;  "Remember.  Nobody is to come to the river until we get back, " the deity warned as he put his hand on Kagome's elbow and steered her away from the temple. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she scolded softly.  "You don't have to scare those poor men." 

         &nb sp;  "It's better that they be scared than dead.  If I ever catch anyone watching you bathe…" 

         &nb sp;  Kagome giggled and blushed.  "You watch me bathe." 

         &nb sp;  "That's different."  He slid his arm around her waist.  "You're my wife." 

         &nb sp;  "Wife."  Kagome glanced at Inuyasha and smiled.  "I still worry I'm going to wake up and find that this has all been some wonderful dream." 

         &nb sp;  "You're not sleeping," he drawled as they reached the river. 

         &nb sp;  The water moved slowly past the banks.  There was little evidence of the flooding that had raised the water so recently.  The silt had been scraped from the sand and it appeared that new sand had been scattered, most likely brought in from the surrounding desert.  The water ran clear, having had time to wash away any dirt and debris that had run down from the distant mountains during the flood.  Even the clusters of reeds growing on the river bank appeared untouched by the rushing water.  Most likely any damaged rushes had been removed, and perhaps new ones transplanted from further down river.   This was the part of the river their deity used, so it seemed natural for the villagers to have taken the time to return it to its original condition. 

         &nb sp;  "That water has never looked so good," Kagome sighed as she bent to place her clean clothing on a flat rock near the water's edge.  "I haven't had a real bath since…"  She turned and looked at Inuyasha.  "Well, since before we left for the pharaoh's city." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha had already stripped off his kilt and collar and walked quickly to the river.  He paused and sniffed the air, making sure there was no obvious danger before he motioned for Kagome to join him.  She found herself blushing as she shed her own clothing and walked quickly into the river, ducking under the water until only her head was visible. 

         &nb sp;  "Silly woman," Inuyasha laughed as he approached her.  The water came only halfway up his hips, exposing most of his torso and leaving very little to the imagination.  "Like I said before, it's not like I haven't seen you." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome turned and tried to move away from him, but her foot slipped on a patch of silt on the river bed.  She fell backwards and right into Inuyasha's waiting arms.  "I couldn't have planned that better if I tried," he commented as he stood her upright and slid his arms around her.  

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she stammered, glancing at the surrounding desert.  "It's daytime.  If someone would come by, they'll see us." 

         &nb sp;  "I would know they're here long before they were close enough to see anything."  He moved his lips to hers, touching them lightly with his tongue before he met them with his own.  Kagome returned his kiss, softening her mouth and relaxing her body against his.  The air was already turning hot, but a cool breeze found its way down the river.  She shivered when it brushed against her bare skin. 

         &nb sp;  "Take your bath," Inuyasha ordered as he released her and ducked under the water.  For a moment, Kagome could see his silvery-white hair floating on the surface of the water, and then he vanished. 

         &nb sp;  The priestess ducked under the water herself, letting the gentle movement of it rinse the sand from her hair as she scrubbed her scalp with her fingertips.  She stayed under until she could hold her breath no longer and brought her face to the surface, gasping for air.  She inhaled deeply and submerged herself, repeating her actions until she was sure her hair was clean. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha?"  Kagome broke the surface of the water as she brushed her wet hair from her face.  She saw no sign of her deity.  "Inuyasha?" 

         &nb sp;  A movement under the water surprised her and she felt strong fingers grab her thighs as Inuyasha swam to her.  He slid his hands along the contours of her body as he slowly stood up next to her. 

         &nb sp;  "I'm right here." 

         &nb sp;  "I got a little worried when I didn't see you," she explained as she glanced nervously in the direction of the temple.

         &nb sp;  "I told you nobody is going to bother us."  He pulled her to him for a quick kiss before turning and ducking under the water.  He scrubbed himself quickly and returned to the surface.  "I'm done." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded and ducked under the water again, scrubbing at her own body.  She finished quickly and returned to the surface and stood next to Inuyasha.  "I need to get my clothes." 

         &nb sp;  "What's stopping you?"  He looked from her to her pile of clothes near the bank and let his eyes travel back to her. 

         &nb sp;  "You're staring at me again!" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha simply smiled and walked from the water, stopping and picking up his kilt, which he wrapped slowly around his waist before looking back at his priestess.  "Well, are you coming?" 

         &nb sp;  Kagome blushed heavily.  Despite their former intimacy, walking out of the water in broad daylight in front of him was making her very uncomfortable.  "You're still staring." 

         &nb sp;  The silver-haired deity slowly turned around and shrugged.  "Like I said, it's not like I haven't already seen you." 

         &nb sp;  The priestess quickly walked from the water to her clothing, stopping suddenly when Inuyasha turned and reached to pick up her gown and robe. 

         &nb sp;  "You weren't supposed to look," she stammered. 

         &nb sp;  The deity held her gown out to her.  "It's my privilege as your deity…"  He watched as Kagome quickly slipped into her gown and grabbed for her robes.  "…and your husband.  And, besides, I never said I wouldn't." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome stared at him for a moment and then dropped her eyes and blushed.  "I know, but I'm not used to having someone see me like this." 

         &nb sp;  "I'm the only one who ever will," he said softly as he pulled her to him for a gentle kiss. 

         &nb sp;  The priestess slid her arms around him and kissed him back.  "Yes, the only one." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha gaze traveled in the direction of the temple.  "We'd better get back.  The priests will be returning in a while." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded.  "We should be there then they arrive."  It took only moments for her to secure her gown and slip her arms into the sleeves of her robes.  She kissed him again and then pulled away from him, dropping her hand to his.  

         &nb sp;  They walked slowly back to the temple, letting the warm desert breeze sift through their hair and clothing, effectively drying them by the time they reached the temple. 

         &nb sp;  Several workmen were busy chipping away at the block of stone that was starting to resemble a pillar while others were working on the block of stone that sat next to the statue of Inuyasha.   Their foreman walked to the deity and priestess.  "I trust you were undisturbed." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted and sneezed as the breeze caught dust from the work in progress and carried it to his nose. 

         &nb sp;  "Perhaps we should wait inside," Kagome suggested with a smile.  "I'm sure the sound isn't pleasant for you, either." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted again and turned towards the temple.  "Just have the priests come in when they get here," he announced as he entered the temple.  He stood aside and waited for Kagome to enter before closing the large wooden doors. 

         &nb sp;  "It's going to get hot in here with the doors closed." 

         &nb sp;  "They won't be closed very long.   The priests should be here with our lunch soon." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome glanced around the dark interior of the temple.  Diffused sunlight traveled through a number of openings near the ceiling, but otherwise the main chamber was dark.  "I'll get some torches," she offered as she retrieved several and placed them in their holders on the wall.  She held one unlit torch in her hands as she disappeared for a moment into their room, returning after lighting it from the oil lamp near their bed. 

         &nb sp;  "I'll do that," Inuyasha said roughly as he took the flaming wood from her hand and moved around the room, lighting several torches before placing the one he held into an open holder. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome smiled at him.  "I could have done that." 

         &nb sp;  "You do enough already," he said softly as he moved to stand next to her. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she whispered as he pulled her against him, capturing her lips with his.  She found herself unable to resist his touch and slid her arms around him, relaxing her lips as she responded to his kiss.  He slid one hand down her back, cupping it on her firm, round butt as he pulled her hips to his.  The priestess moaned softly as she felt him moving against her, unable to curb his own desire as he slipped his tongue into the warmth of her mouth. 

         &nb sp;  The sound of the large wooden doors opening startled them, sending Inuyasha spinning to face their embarrassed guests.  Kagome wiped her lips with the back of her hand and straightened her robes, trying to stop the blush she knew was already spreading across her cheeks. 

         &nb sp;  "I'm sorry, my lord.  We were told that we should come in.  I see that we have interrupted you, and for that we are truly sorry."  The priest bowed and turned to leave the temple.

         &nb sp;  "You don't have to leave," Inuyasha grumbled as he glanced longingly at Kagome.  He had known there wouldn't be time, and yet had let his body dictate his actions.  He smiled as he looked at her, breathing heavily as she blushed in embarrassment.  She had never looked more beautiful to him. 

         &nb sp;  The priest nodded and signaled to his companion, who stood in the doorway.  "Houjou." 

         &nb sp;  The young priest nodded silently and moved into the temple.  He held a clay pot in his hands and kept his eyes diverted from the others.  "We brought your midday meal," he said in a monotone voice as he turned and walked to the low altar.  He placed the pot on the smooth stone of the altar and turned to face the others. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome moved to find plates for them, bringing four sets of cups and plates, plus a bottle of wine.   She placed the pottery on the altar and carefully lifted the lid from the pot, breathing deeply as warm steam brought the scent of the food to her.  "Kaede always makes the best stew," she commented as she picked up a serving spoon and filled the plates.  She carefully opened the wine and poured it into the cups before stepping aside to let the visitors view their meal.  "There's plenty more, so don't be afraid to help yourself."  The priestess carried two filled plates and handed them to the visiting priests. 

         &nb sp;  "My lord," the older priest stammered.  "It was not our intention to disturb your meal - only to bring it to you." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha shrugged and picked up the remaining plates.  "There's more than enough food, and I'm sure you haven't eaten."  He hadn't failed to notice Houjou eyeing the warm stew. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome returned to the altar and picked up two cups, offering them to the priests.  The men accepted them with thanks as the priestess returned to Inuyasha's side.  He had placed plates and cups for himself and Kagome on a low, stone bench and lowered himself to sit crossed-legged on the floor.  Kagome handed Inuyasha one plate before picking up the second one and sitting on the bench.  

         &nb sp;  "I suggest you eat while it's still warm," Kagome commented as she waited for Inuyasha to take a bite of his food.  Only after he had started to eat did she allow herself to start her own meal.

         &nb sp;  The four sat quietly as they ate.  When Inuyasha was finished, he placed his plate behind him on the bench.  Kagome quickly collected the dirty plates and placed them on the altar by the leftover stew. 

         &nb sp;  "They can wait," Inuyasha grunted. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded and covered the stew before returning to her deity's side.  She took her place on the bench and waited for Inuyasha to speak. 

         &nb sp;  "The others should be here momentarily," the elder priest said.   "We were sent ahead with your food so that you would have time to eat before they arrive." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted and leaned back against Kagome's knees.  He glanced up at her as her hand fell to the top of his head and stroked his ear.  She appeared to not be aware of what she was doing as she glanced at the temple doorway.  The silver-haired deity was impatient to get things over with.  He was already unhappy enough about having to meet with the others, although he was aware that it was necessary.  Someone had to tell them what had happened at the pharaoh's palace, and more importantly, to tell them of Kikyou's fate. 

         &nb sp;  "They're here."  Inuyasha stiffened as he heard the voices of the approaching guests.  Kaede's voice was evident, and she was the one person he dreaded facing the most. 

         &nb sp;  The elder priest stood up and walked to the temple door, signaling the others to enter.  In addition to Kaede, the group consisted of the old seamstress, the head of the village, and the village elders.   The guests all greeted Inuyasha and Kagome before allowing themselves to be directed to seats on the hard, stone benches. 

         &nb sp;  The priestess looked at Inuyasha, who was fidgeting as he leaned against a pillar near the benches.  She knew he wasn't going to be comfortable talking to their visitors.  She moved to stand next to him and placed her hand lightly on his arm. 

         &nb sp;  "My lord," she said softly, maintaining her position of priestess in front of the others. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted, but his expression softened as he glanced at her.  He found himself relaxing, gaining confidence from Kagome's support. 

         &nb sp;  The deity stood away from the pillar, steeling himself for what he was certain would be strong reactions from the others.   He began to talk, explaining briefly what had led to he, Kagome, and the others leaving the temple to travel to the city of the pharaoh. 

         &nb sp;  "Surely you're mistaken," the elder priest exclaimed when Naraku's attempt to have Inuyasha killed was mentioned.  "Why would the pharaoh want to do you harm?"

         &nb sp;  Kagome silenced her deity with a glance and took over telling the story.  She explained the history of Naraku, and his tie to the thief, Onigumo.   She stopped before reaching Kikyou's part in the tale. 

         &nb sp;  "My sister," Kaede said softly.  "She was caring for Onigumo." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha nodded.  "Apparently that damned thief decided he wanted Kikyou for himself."  He was beginning to get agitated.  "I told her not to go there, but she wouldn't listen!"

         &nb sp;  Kagome squeezed his arm lightly.  "My lord," she whispered.  "We don't want to upset Kaede." 

         &nb sp;  The deity closed his eyes for a moment and did his best to regain his composure.   After a moment he continued his story, telling the others what he had learned from Miroku regarding the original priest of the temple, and what had happened to Kikyou.

         &nb sp;  "The one who attacked Kikyou wasn't Inuyasha," Kagome said gently, watching for a response from Kaede.  The old woman sat silently, her hands knotted together on her lap.  She was taking in every word and doing her best to process what she was hearing.  "Onigumo made a deal with some creatures called youkai," the priestess continued.  "He used the power of those youkai to take the form of Inuyasha." 

         &nb sp;  "Why?"  Kaede looked from Inuyasha to Kagome.  "Why would he take Inuyasha's form to attack my sister?" 

         &nb sp;  "He was jealous," Kagome explained.  "According to Miroku, Kikyou insisted on caring for Onigumo, but she was loyal to Inuyasha." 

         &nb sp;  Kaede nodded.  "If he couldn't have her, nobody would?" she asked of no one in particular. 

         &nb sp;  The head priest nodded.  "That's what I would assume." 

         &nb sp;  They continued to add what they could to the story of the past, but other than some basic facts, there wasn't much more they could add. 

         &nb sp;  "Naraku was the pharaoh at the time my sister was priestess at this temple," Kaede said suddenly.  "How could Onigumo be here and also be Naraku?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted.  "He probably killed the real pharaoh and took his form."   He glanced at Kagome, looking for the right words to use.  The priestess nodded and mouthed the word youkai.  The deity continued.  "Onigumo took in youkai.  Without knowing just what types they were, we can't know for sure.  But, there are youkai who can change their appearance.  Even take more than one form." 

         &nb sp;  One of the elders spoke.  "I saw the pharaoh when I was a child.  I have aged, but Naraku stayed the same all these years.  He always claimed it was because he was divine, as all pharaohs are supposed to be.  But, I have never heard of another pharaoh who didn't age." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha nodded.  "Some youkai live for a very long time." 

         &nb sp;  The others talked softly among themselves for a moment, trying to assess what they had just been told.  Inuyasha glanced at Kagome and noticed she had a worried look on her face.  She glanced at him. 

         &nb sp;  "What's wrong?"

         &nb sp;  The priestess closed her eyes and dropped her head.  "You said that youkai can live for a very long time." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha made an affirmative noise. 

         &nb sp;  "Does that also mean that a half youkai would also live a long time?"

         &nb sp;  "Kagome," he mumbled when he realized what was troubling her.  "I don't know how long I'll live." 

         &nb sp;  She nodded silently and turned when the head priest stood up and spoke. 

         &nb sp;  "And what, my lord, has become of the stolen mummy?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha cringed when he saw Kaede's face.  It was obvious that she had been made aware of the break-in at Kikyou's tomb. 

         &nb sp;  "Yes, what of my sister?"  The old woman shook as she faced her deity.  "She was already denied a proper burial, and without her mummy to come back to, she'll be forced to wander for eternity." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome moved to sit by the old woman.  "It was Naraku's men who took her mummy.  He ordered them to take her to the palace, where he had a sorceress revive her." 

         &nb sp;  "What, Kikyou is alive?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha shook his head.  "The magic didn't last." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome placed a hand on Kaede's shoulder.  "That's why Miroku stayed behind.  He's making sure that she is properly wrapped and sealed, and will return with her when she's ready." 

         &nb sp;  Kaede nodded silently.  She placed her hand on top of Kagome's.  "Thank you," she whispered. 

         &nb sp;  "This time Kikyou will have a proper burial," Inuyasha said quietly.  He was watching for Kaede's reaction. 

         &nb sp;  "Proper?" 

         &nb sp;  "We received many offerings when we were at the temple of Osiris.  Miroku will be returning with Kikyou's mummy and those offerings.  Kikyou's tomb will be properly supplied for the afterlife this time." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded.  "And, Miroku is also a scribe.  He'll be able to tell Kikyou's story on her tomb walls."  The priestess paused and looked at Kaede.  "Kikyou should never have been given such an undignified burial to begin with.  We'll make sure she is treated right this time." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted.  "I was sealed.  I didn't even know she died." 

         &nb sp;  "Nobody is blaming you, my lord," the elder priest commented.  "But, under the circumstances, since it was thought that she had betrayed you, it's only normal that she not have been given full honors in her burial."  The man looked at Houjou.  "We'll remain until your priest returns, and if necessary, we can stay longer." 

         &nb sp;  The village head nodded in agreement.  "I have a feeling that we're going to be overrun with worshippers when word of all this gets out.  Of course, the village is almost back to normal after the flooding, so we should be able to handle food and lodging." 

         &nb sp;  The old seamstress spoke for the first time.  "This could actually become a good thing for the village.  Extra visitors to the temple will mean more business for the innkeepers and everyone else." 

         &nb sp;  "We'll have to start preparations immediately, " the village head said to the others. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome could see that Inuyasha was getting impatient to get things over with.  She stood and walked to her deity's side, gently taking his arm in her hands to lend him her strength.  Inuyasha nodded. 

         &nb sp;  "There's the situation with Naraku," he said dryly.  The others stopped talking and looked at him. 

         &nb sp;  The visitors sat speechless as Inuyasha and Kagome began to recount the fall of Naraku.  The deity made an extra effort to point out Kikyou's role in the final battle, and Kaede seemed relieved.  Her sister had at least made some sort of atonement for her actions in the past. 

         &nb sp;  Nobody else spoke until they had finished their tale, each taking turns in telling the story.  

         &nb sp;  One of the village elders spoke after a period of silence.  "So, the rumors are true.  Naraku really is dead." 

         &nb sp;  A second elder shook his head.  "Naraku had no children.  Who will be pharaoh?" 

         &nb sp;  The elder priest stood up.  "In a situation like this, there will be a search for a new pharaoh.  Anyone who qualifies will be considered, and will be chosen by the previous pharaoh's advisors and the heads of his city.  I'm sure it won't take long for a new pharaoh to be placed on the throne." 

         &nb sp;  The visitors began talking excitedly among themselves, speculating on who would replace Naraku as pharaoh, and discussing preparations for the village for what would most likely be a very large increase in visitors. 

         &nb sp;  Kagome stepped forward.  "Inuyasha is weary from our travels, and would like to rest," she commented softly.  The others quickly took her cue and began to say their farewells to Inuyasha.  Last to greet him was Kaede and the old seamstress. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha, " the old woman began.  "I have always thought there was more to the story of Kikyou's death than we knew."  She paused and bowed slightly to him.  "Thank you for helping clear my sister's name." 

         &nb sp;  The deity was uncomfortable with the strong emotion in Kaede's voice.  His priestess spoke for him. 

         &nb sp;  "Kikyou was wronged, too, Kaede.  I wish the truth had been found out sooner, but at least we know it now." 

         &nb sp;  The old woman bowed again and took her leave of the deity and priestess.  The old seamstress simply bowed, and then whispered something to Kagome before following her friend from the temple. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha and Kagome walked to the temple doors as the last of their guests left.  The head priest turned.  "There will be fresh food brought by for your dinner.  Otherwise, you shouldn't be disturbed." 

         &nb sp;  They noticed that the workmen had left for the day.  The pillar was almost finished, and the new statue was starting to take form. 

         &nb sp;  "What the hell?"  Inuyasha walked to the incomplete statue.  "Is this someone's idea of a joke?" 

         &nb sp;  Kagome gasped.  There, on the statue, was the obvious shape of a woman's breast.  The face and rest of the body were still very rough, but it was unmistakably starting to take a very feminine form. 

         &nb sp;  One of the village elders looked at the deity in confusion.  "My lord?  I don't understand." 

         &nb sp;  "This is supposed to be me?"  Inuyasha growled in response. 

         &nb sp;  "Oh, no, my lord," the old man laughed.  "Although if you wish for another statue to be made of your likeness, we will make arrangements immediately." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha glared at the man. 

         &nb sp;  "It seemed only fitting that a statue of Kagome be added," the old man explained as he indicated the unfinished statue.  "You can see that it is much smaller than yours, my lord, befitting her position." 

         &nb sp;  The elder priest moved to join them.  "After all, there has been no other case in the history of our land where a deity has taken a human wife.  She is more than a priestess, but I'm not sure if she would be given the same honor as a deity, such as yourself." 

         &nb sp;  "Me?"  Kagome gasped as she studied the statue.  "Surely you're joking.  I don't deserve a statue." 

         &nb sp;  The priest continued.  "Quite the contrary, Kagome.  You are the one who first unsealed Inuyasha after fifty years.  You also held back the water of the river when it was flooding.  It's quite obvious that you are more than just an ordinary priestess to begin with.   And, the fact that you are married to the only living deity I have ever known of gives you power by itself." 

         &nb sp;  "But, I really don't deserve…"  Kagome looked at Inuyasha for support. 

         &nb sp;  "I like it, " he said quietly.  "I'm tired of looking at statues of myself.  I'd much rather look at ones of you." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome blushed.  "My lord, you are teasing me." 

         &nb sp;  He gave his priestess a knowing look that made her blush even more.  

         &nb sp;  "The workmen will be back early tomorrow so they can take advantage of the cool morning air.  They won't stay much past midday because of the heat.  Also, they are needed to finish repairs in the village, too."  The village head bowed to Inuyasha and promised to return in a few days. 

         &nb sp;  The deity and priestess watched as the others walked in the direction of the village. 

         &nb sp;  "I would have had to kill someone if that statue was of me, " Inuyasha joked as he walked to the hunk of stone and reached his hand towards it.  The hair had been started, and already it looked much like his own.  The only difference was the lack of triangular ears on top of the head.  The basic shape of the body had been carved, but the details were left to be finished.  He traced the round mound of the exposed breast with one hand and frowned.  "Not as good as the real thing," he said as he glanced at Kagome. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha!"  The priestess glanced at the distant figures of the guests who had just left the temple.  She was relieved to see that they were out of ear shot. 

         &nb sp;  "Well, it's the truth," he mumbled as he moved towards Kagome and cupped his hand over one of her breasts.  "Nothing's as good as the real thing." 

         &nb sp;  "My lord!"  Kagome stammered and blushed, glancing again at the figures in the distance. 

         &nb sp;  "Don't worry.  They're too far away to hear anything."  He pulled her into his arms.  "Or see anything." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome relaxed in his arms as he kissed her.   "Ummmm…" she moaned as his kiss deepened. 

         &nb sp;  "Well, we have the place to ourselves until they bring our dinner," he commented. 

         &nb sp;  "We really need to start getting the temple ready," she said as she pulled away from him.  "They're right.  We're going to have more people coming through here than this temple has ever seen.  The village is going to need our help, too." 

         &nb sp;  "What?  Are you turning me down?" 

         &nb sp;  "Not turning you down."  Kagome kissed him gently.  "It's daytime, and there's always the chance that someone will come by." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha grunted. 

         &nb sp;  "Besides, the doors will be locked and we know we won't be disturbed tonight." 

         &nb sp;  "Tonight," he moaned as he let his gaze travel over her.  "That's a long time to wait." 

         &nb sp;  "We'll be so busy, you won't even notice," she laughed as she took his hand and led him into the temple. 

         &nb sp;  The main chamber had been emptied of the offerings Inuyasha had donated to the village.  The visiting priests had cleaned the room daily, but had not known what to do with the remaining items.  Their own bedroom had been set up while they were gone, so Kagome first led Inuyasha into it and surveyed the newly added furniture. 

         &nb sp;  "We should have some more brackets added for torches," she commented as she peered into the dark corners of the room.  "Either that, or some more oil lamps.  It's too dark in here." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha sighed as she started directing him to move the furniture.   Most of the room had been unused when he was its only occupant, but Kagome had selected items from the storeroom that now filled the previously empty space in the back half.   It only took a few minutes for them to arrange the room to the priestess's liking. 

         &nb sp;  "Is that all right with you?" she asked as she straightened a wall hanging near their bed. 

         &nb sp;  "It doesn't matter."  He paused and glanced at Kagome.  "Whatever makes you feel comfortable." 

         &nb sp;  "This room belongs to both of us," she said softly.  "You need to be comfortable here, too." 

         &nb sp;  "I already said it's fine," Inuyasha said as he moved to sit on the edge of the bed.  "It's just furniture." 

         &nb sp;  "Men!"  Kagome laughed.  "You'd sleep on the floor if we didn't make you use a bed."

         &nb sp;  "There's nothing wrong with the floor," Inuyasha growled.  "Although I'd prefer to just sleep up there."  He pointed to the wooden rafters that supported the roof. 

         &nb sp;  "Well, you're not going to get me up there.  I'd fall off in my sleep." 

         &nb sp;  "I wouldn't let you."  Inuyasha moved to where Kagome stood and scooped her up in his arms.  She squealed as he leapt to the rafters, landing lightly on one before lowering himself onto it.  He held Kagome securely in his arms. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha!  Get me down from here!" 

         &nb sp;  "I won't let you fall," he mumbled as he pulled her closer.

         &nb sp;  Kagome decided that struggling wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, with the hard stone floor right beneath her.  "Are you sure?"  She was still anxious about being up in the rafters, but began to relax as Inuyasha's arms wrapped around her.  She felt safe him his embrace. 

         &nb sp;  "Now, this is how I like to sleep." 

         &nb sp;  "Don't expect me to sleep up here," she said softly as she leaned against him.  "Besides, it's really hot up here." 

         &nb sp;  The afternoon sun was beating down on the roof just over their heads, and the lack of windows allowed the heat to gather around them.   Inuyasha slid his arms around her securely before standing and leaping to the floor.  He landed as softly as a cat and gently dropped Kagome's feet to the floor so that she stood beside him. 

         &nb sp;  "Now, that wasn't all that bad," he commented. 

         &nb sp;  "Not if you're a deity.  But, I'm just a human.  I could really get hurt if I fell from up there." 

         &nb sp;  "I would never let you get hurt."  Inuyasha pulled her to him and kissed her gently.  "That I promise." 

         &nb sp;  "Well, I still prefer to just stay down here, if you don't mind." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome glanced around the room, content with the way it was arranged. 

         &nb sp;  "Don't tell me, you want me to move things again." 

         &nb sp;  "Well, this room is all right, and the other bedroom will be up to Miroku to arrange.  But, there's the main chamber.  If we're going to have extra visitors, we really need to do something out there." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha groaned.  "You really are going to make me wait until tonight, aren't you?" 

         &nb sp;  "I'm dirty and sweaty, " Kagome complained.  "Let's just finish the main chamber and then I can get another bath.  You wouldn't want to be with me when I'm all messy, would you?" 

         &nb sp;  The longing in his eyes told her otherwise, but he simply grunted and moved to the door, holding the mat that covered it out of the way to let Kagome go through first. 

         &nb sp;  They made quick work of the main chamber, although by now then was already late afternoon.  

         &nb sp;  "They'll be coming with our dinner soon," Inuyasha complained as he moved the last bench to where Kagome pointed. 

         &nb sp;  "Do we have time to go to the river before they get here?" 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha shook his head.  His sensitive ears caught the distant voices of the visiting priests.   They were already on their way to the temple with the promised food.   "They're already coming." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome squealed and ran to scoop some water into a basin.  She splashed her face with the cool water, scrubbing the dust from it before running her damp hands through her hair.  "I should change my robes," she complained as she noticed the dust on them. 

         &nb sp;  "Your robes are fine," the deity commented without looking.  He turned to Kagome and shook his head.  "Go and change your robes!" 

         &nb sp;  "What?  You just said they're fine."  Kagome glanced down at her chest and then realized that the water she had used to wash her face had spilled down her front.  The wet linen clung to her like a second skin and left nothing to the imagination. 

         &nb sp;  The priestess ran quickly to their room and switched into a clean gown and robes.  She gathered her soiled clothing and dropped it in a small pile by the door.  She would have to take them with her to the river to wash. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha was waiting at the open door of the temple when she returned to the main chamber.  She could see two figures coming their way across the desert sand when she joined her deity. 

         &nb sp;  "Wonder what's for dinner tonight?"

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha sniffed the air and smiled.  "Your favorite, by the smell." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome leaned forward, drawing a deep breath through her nose.  "I can't smell anything." 

         &nb sp;  "You didn't really think you could, did you?" 

         &nb sp;  The priestess laughed and linked her arm through his.  "I guess not.  I forget sometimes that just because you can do something doesn't mean I can." 

         &nb sp;  "Yeah, but there are things you do that I can't." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome looked confused.  "Like what?"  

         &nb sp;  "Well, there's still that dance you promised me."  Inuyasha slid his arm around her and kissed her quickly. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she whispered as she slid her arms around his neck and returned his kiss.  

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha groaned.  "They're here," he mumbled as he gave her one last kiss and untangled her arms from around his neck. 

         &nb sp;  Deity and priestess turned to greet their visitors.   The elder priest bowed slightly to Inuyasha.  Houjou was behind him, carrying another covered pot of food.  He inclined his head to the deity, unable to fully bow with the hot food in his hands. 

         &nb sp;  "We have brought your dinner, as promised," the young priest said as he moved into the room and placed the pot on the low altar.  Next to it he placed a package wrapped in cloth. 

         &nb sp;  "Thank you."  Kagome smiled at their visitors and went to the pot.  She inhaled deeply as she lifted the lid.  "You were right, Inuyasha.  It is my favorite tonight."  

         &nb sp;  The two priests exchanged glances, but didn't say anything.   It was only natural for a deity to have powers of divination, after all. 

         &nb sp;  The priestess took out four plates, but the visiting priests declined the offer to join them for dinner.  "We have much to do in the village.  Most of the repairs have been completely, but with the surge of worshippers we expect soon, there are still things that need to be completed quickly." 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha, we should go to the village tomorrow and see what we can do to help," Kagome suggested. 

         &nb sp;  The deity nodded.  While he would prefer to stay at the temple, he did owe the villagers for everything they had done for him since he came to the temple.   "We'll go in the morning." 

         &nb sp;  "Thank you, my lord, " the elder priest said as he moved to the temple doorway.  "I'm sure your presence alone will encourage everyone to work their hardest.  And, of course, your own great strength will be a blessing." 

         &nb sp;  Houjou followed the senior priest, pausing at the doorway to turn to Inuyasha and Kagome.  "We brought you fruit and cheese for your breakfast.   I assume you'll eat your lunch at the village." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome smiled.  "Thank you, and yes, we'll be there most of the day.  It won't be necessary for anyone to bring us food tomorrow." 

         &nb sp;  "We'll be sure to let the village know you'll be blessing them with your presence in the morning," the elder priest said as he and Houjou turned to leave. 

         &nb sp;  It didn't take Inuyasha and Kagome long to eat.  Both were hungry after their afternoon exertions, and Kagome scraped their plates and placed them in a basin of water to soak with the plates left from their lunches.  "You really should have let me wash these right away," Kagome complained as she tried to scrape some hard scraps off one of the plates. 

         &nb sp;  "Just let them soak," Inuyasha instructed as he peaked into the wrapped package.  There was a loaf of bread, a wheel of cheese wrapped in oiled cloth, and a packet of dried figs.   "You're going to want to bathe, so we really should get down to the river." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome nodded and placed the last of the plates in the basin of water.  "Let me get some things."  She disappeared into their room and returned with fresh clothing plus a small pile of dirty clothing that needed to be washed.  "I'll go ahead and wash these while we're there." 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha pulled the heavy wooden doors of the temple closed behind them as they left to walk to the river.  The closed doors would indicate to any unexpected visitors that the temple was closed for the night, even though they weren't locked.  Deity and priestess reached the river quickly, and Kagome went to work washing out the laundry she brought with her while Inuyasha lounged on the sandy bank, watching her. 

         &nb sp;  It didn't take long for Kagome to finish the clothes, and she spread the wet garments over the branches of some bushes that grew near the river.  She turned to see that Inuyasha had already stripped out of his kilt and walked into the water. 

         &nb sp;  "You really enjoy this, don't you," she complained as she slipped out of her own clothes and dashed into the water. 

         &nb sp;  "It's going to be dark soon," Inuyasha said as he indicated the sun, which was already low in the sky.  "We should hurry." 

         &nb sp;  They washed themselves quickly and dressed in the clean clothes Kagome had brought with them.   She gathered the wet clothing before they headed back to the temple.  Once there she would spread them out on the stone benches inside.   

         &nb sp;  All was quiet when they reached the temple.  Inuyasha opened the doors, and then closed them behind them as they entered the stone building.  He slid the locking bar into place and turned to face his priestess.  She finished draping the damp clothing over various items in the temple before turning to the dishes of the day.  The silver-haired deity smiled.   Kagome looked happy, just attending to the menial tasks of the temple.  He was studying her when she looked up at him. 

         &nb sp;  "Is something wrong?" 

         &nb sp;  He shook his head.  "No, but you did enough for one day.  Come over here." 

         &nb sp;  Kagome wiped her hands on a cloth and stood.  The flickering torchlight reflected in her eyes, making them sparkle in the dim room.  She smiled shyly as she walked to him. 

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha gathered her into a firm embrace before leaning his face towards her and capturing her lips with his.  He could feel her respond to his touch, and her warmth and scent teased his senses. 

         &nb sp;  "Remember, you promised to dance for me."  He swept her into his arms and walked towards their room. 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha, you don't have to carry me," she whispered as she snuggled against him. 

         &nb sp;  "I like carrying you, wife." 

         &nb sp;  "Inuyasha," she said quietly.  "My deity…my husband." 

         &nb sp;  He stood her next to the bed and pulled her into his arms.   His lips were firm against hers, coaxing her into submission as he slid her robes from her shoulders.  "Dance for me," he murmured in her ear. 

         &nb sp;  "Anything for you, my lord," she whispered back as she began her private dance for Inuyasha.   

 

         &nb sp;  The sun had set over the city of the pharaoh.  Members of the pharaoh's guard were scrambling, preparing for the arrival of a very important dignitary.  Rumors were spreading throughout the troops that a new pharaoh had already been chosen, but most chose to brush them off as simply rumors.  Surely it would take longer to replace a pharaoh who had sat on the throne for over fifty years. 

         &nb sp;  The palace was in turmoil.  Every torch and lamp in the place was lit, and the pharaoh's advisors were already waiting in the throne room.  The heads of the city began to arrive and were quickly ushered into the throne room, where they took seats and whispered with each other about the mysterious visitor.   Several top priests from the temple of Osiris joined the others, curious and excited about the news.  Kagura slipped into the room, choosing to stand near the back, hidden in the shadows of one of the large pillars that supported the ceiling.  She wanted to see first-hand just who would be her new pharaoh. 

         &nb sp;  Before long, a lone figure appeared behind the dais, looking like a specter in the erratic, flickering light that came from the torches.  It was a man wearing traditional clothing of the land.  On his head was the crown of the pharaoh.  At his side was a sheath and sword.  He appeared to almost glide across the stone floor, walking effortlessly up the steps leading to the raised throne.  The room became silent as he walked to the throne and slowly sat down.  He studied his audience in silence for a moment, his eyes narrowing when his gaze fell on Kagura, who seemed surprised by his appearance.  He grinned slightly before leaning back and draping one arm across the arm of the throne. 

         &nb sp;  "From this day forward, I will be your pharaoh."