InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Tokijin Rises ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

They were resting. It seemed that was all Kagome did anymore. A week had passed since the others had learned of her tragedy. They still treated her as though she would break, but for the most part things were back to normal. She and Sango seemed to be connecting on a deeper level than ever before, after all, they were both without family now. They had both been forced to bury the people they most loved and create for themselves new families.

Shippou let out a yip of surprise as Kirara pounced on his back. He was trying to learn how to sense other youkai and to track with his nose, but the exercise had soon boiled down to an impromptu game of tag between the two energetic youkai. Kagome laughed softly at their antics then turned her face to the sun, simply enjoying the day. A cry echoed through the woods and she was on her feet, bow in hand. Inuyasha emerged with a rabbit in his claws. The cry had been nothing more than the creature's death keen. She took her seat, trying to shake the sense of unease the sound had instilled. Suddenly the afternoon was not so pleasant. Clouds rolled in, blotting out the sun. A wind sprang up. Inuyasha froze, his nose twitching slightly. His eyes widened and his grip on the carcass tightened.

"Sesshomaru."

The single word had the same effect as napalm on the California forestlands. Suddenly everything was in motion. Miroku and Sango were astride Kirara with Shippou in front. Kagome was running almost as fast as Inuyasha in the direction that she now sensed the powerful taiyoukai. They emerged in a clearing at the edge of Inuyasha's forest. Sesshomaru stood in silence. Behind him she could see Ah-Un along with Jaken and the human child Rin. Tokijin pulsed in Sesshomaru's hand as he stared at his brother. Kagome felt something rank slid over her.

With a start she realized it was the sword. Inuyahsa was watching his brother, but the sword was what was in control. Somehow Sesshomaru had been over powered. No, that couldn't be right. Sesshomaru was the most powerful youkai she knew of, there was no way the sword could have control. Unless…

"Inuyasha, Naraku lives."

Silence fell in her group. Enough so that now she could hear the retainer and the child speaking to the taiyoukai, begging him to return to his lands, to throw down the possessed sword. Kagome set an arrow to her bowstring.

"Naraku lives within Tokijin." She drew the bow. "Distract him."

Sango grunted an affirmative as she hurled her boomerang. The giant weapon roared as it sliced through the air. Inuyasha charged, drawing Tetsusaiga. He wasn't sure about whether or not he wanted to kill his brother, but he was sure of one thing, the sword had to go. Sesshomaru dodged Sango's weapon easily and met Inuyasha's strike. The swords clashed and Inuyasha thought for a moment he might have the upper hand until Sesshomaru's left hand shot out, punching through his shoulder, tearing bone, muscle, and flesh.

Kagome gasped softly in surprise. When had his arm been restored? Sesshomaru's eyes began to cloud red with the scent of Inuyasha's blood. He was relentless, unstoppable. They would have to do something else. She drew her bow and aimed at Rin. It was a gamble she knew, but something told her his feelings for the child ran deeper than mere interest. Sesshomaru roared and charged her. She adjusted her aim and fired. The arrow shattered Tokijin's hilt and sent the blade spiraling from Sesshomaru's grasp. It landed tip down in the Earth.

A silence fell. Even the wind was still as all combatants and observers watched the blade, wondering what it would do next. They soon had their answer as the dark aura around the sword pulsed. A black miasma began to pour forth and from the cloud issued a terrifyingly familiar voice.

"Kukuku…you think I die so easily, Kagome?"

Kagome acted without thinking. She gave an inarticulate cry as she threw her arms out. The miasma roared toward her and was repelled by her barrier. She closed her eyes, concentrating all her will on protecting the occupants of the clearing. Her blood roared in her ears and she felt something dripping onto her shirt. The coppery scent of blood reached her, and somewhere, in the back of her mind, she knew it was hers and she knew she was dying.

Will write no more until someone tells me what they think!!

Or until I get so fed up with not getting feed back that I post the bloody thing anyway.