InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Never a Dull Moment ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Sesshomaru stood watching the night stars fade in the morning light. He would gather Kagome soon and be gone. He closed his eyes and lifted his head to the breeze. It was these few moments here, as the night world faded and the day world woke that he treasured. Here he could find a few moments of serenity. He turned his back on the rising sun. It was time to wake her.

He stopped suddenly, a strange scent reaching him. Human sweat, wood smoke, and oil? What did that mean? He glanced back over his shoulder. Quickly he turned and found Ratri's house. It took him only a second to wake him.

"Humans come, dozens."

"An attack?"

"I know not."

"I will gather the men, but we will not survive, we are too weak." He grabbed his sword and rushed from his house. "They are after our water."

Sesshomaru ran for Kagome's house. She was already awake. She gave him a weak smile.

"I sensed them. I think you and I are probably the only capable fighters here."

"I'm not letting you go out there."

"You don't have a say in it, Sesshomaru."

She pushed past him and began to walk toward the East side of the village. He followed. Soon they were joined by half a dozen men armed with spears and short bows. Kagome doubted she would get any range with it. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the long bow that she had carried in Japan. When she opened her eyes the trusty wooden haft was in her palm. She smiled and drew one of her great arrows setting it to the cord. The first of them came into sight and she drew, aiming up into the cloudless sky. She loosed and watched as it arched high and fell to the earth, bringing one of warriors with it. Again she strung and loosed, never pausing though her fingers stung and her arm ached. She rained death upon the approaching mass but it was not enough to stop them. Ratri gave her a grin as he drew his sword.

"I thank you for thinning their ranks, but you must step back now and let us handle them."

"I am not as weak as you think."

"I have never thought of you as weak."

She drew her bow firing strait into their ranks. They charged and she used her bow to parry the blow. Sesshomaru cut him in half. Kagome gasped softly. The cold relentless Sesshomaru was back. She stumbled back as he methodically began his wholesale slaughter. She stepped back as did the other men. She glanced at Ratri, but he was busy watching him. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned. Once of the village men glared at her.

"What have you brought among us?" He hissed. She gasped as he drew a dagger. He slipped it through her ribs as easily as a hot knife through butter. He withdrew it and stepped back. "Now the demon shall leave us."

She fell to her knees, her hands pressed over the wound. She tried to open her mouth to speak but could not form the words. A thought shot through her, one that forced her to her feet, forced her to face the battle once more.

"SESSHOMARU!!"

He turned in time to stop the assassin's dagger. He tore the man in half and leapt to her side. Gently he gathered her in his arms as her knees failed her.

"Kagome…no."

It was a soft whisper. He watched as the light in her eyes began to fade. He couldn't let this happen, he owed her too much. He laid her down and drew Tenseiga. They were all surrounded by golden light and when it cleared Kagome was gone. Ratri approached him slowly.

"Where…"

"I don't know, but I will find her once more."