InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ The Importance of Past ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome stood in the middle of the river. The current tugged at her skirt and her feet were numb with cold, but she still did not move. Above her the stars she had known all her life were shown to her once more. She sighed softly. It was nice to have even a small piece of home in this strange place. A few minutes later Neil appeared on the shore.

"Where have you been?"

"Hunting, a wolf must eat, and I cannot impose on these kind people."

"Why do you suppose she turned you into a wolf?"

"I don't know."

"I think because deep down you really are a wolf. The others will be the same way."

She climbed down off the rock and wadded to the shore. "What do you mean, you think I was always a wolf?"

She paused on the bank to ring out her skirt. "Not exactly. I think every person has an animal they are more attuned to than others. For you it was a wolf."

She climbed up the bank and walked into woods. Neil followed. "So I was always a wolf?"

"No, what I mean is the only animal she could have turned you into is a wolf. For some it might be a bear or a fox, for you it is a wolf."

"And you, what would it be?"

"Me? I don't know."

They came to a small clearing. Kagome found a large rock and began to clear the moss off of it.

"What are you doing?"

"Creating a beacon. It won't be perfect, but it will call all animals with an affinity toward humans here. It should gather all the other animals who were once people. It should also gather people who were once animals and animals with ties to humans. I'm afraid there will be a lot to sort through in the end."

"Well, it's a start."

She laid her hands on the stone and called upon her miko powers. She could feel the Shikon no Tama glow slightly beneath her shirt, the light penetrating the fabric. She closed her eyes and concentrated. After a few minutes she stepped back, wiping the sweat from her face. She turned a smile on Neil.

"Well?"

"It feels strange, like this is a place I belong."

"Then it was done right."

She walked over to a tree and sat down leaning her back against it. Neil lay down, his head in her lap and she absently began to stroke him. "How long?"

"It shouldn't take too long now. We'll wait here the rest of the day. By night they should all be here."

"How do you know?"

"I don't, I just have a feeling. Most will be near. Tell me did you dream or have a strange feeling that made you be in that part of the forest?"

"I had a dream about an archer who fell from the skies. The archer was the one who would save me. I didn't understand why I wanted to stay there, but I did."

"You see? The others will no doubt have had similar experiences."

Just as she had predicted by midday another animal stepped into the clearing. She was huge and golden. Kagome gave her a warm smile.

"You're a mountain lion, aren't you?"

"I am, what are you?"

"I'm a priestess. Neil here can fill you in, do you have a name?"

"My human name was lost along with my village. I do not have a name."

"Do you mind if I name you?"

"I do."

Kagome laughed softly. "Very well then, Amelia it is."

"I thought I just told you I do not need a name?"

"Yes, but only someone like Amelia Sacks could give me an order like that." Amelia sat, watching Kagome intently. "Amelia was a law keeper in a great city. She solved murders and hunted men who sought to do harm to others. She was fierce and full of fire and she never backed down from a fight. Taking her on was taking your life in your hands."

"I think I like this name."

Kagome nodded and they continued to wait. Less than half an hour later a great bald eagle appeared. He landed on the rock with some difficulty. Kagome gave him her smile.

"Good day, do you have a name?"

"No."

"I am Kagome, are you like these others?"

"I was once human, yes."

"Do you mind if I call you David? He was a great and wise king who ruled his land for many years. He was also a man who came from humble circumstances. He was a shepherd who slew a great enemy. He rebuilt the kingdom that had been destroyed. He gave his people hope and purpose once more."

"I…thank you."

"I need you to find the others, to guide them to this place. I know you can lead them here."

"I will do my best."

She watched the eagle take off. Neil cracked an eye. "Are you sure that was wise?"

"Yes."

"But it's a bird."

"Birds have their purposes too. Don't criticize him until you get to know him."

"All these stories and names, how do you know them?"

"I read them, some a long time ago. I didn't used to remember them, not very well anyway. It seems like the last few months all the songs, all the stories I'd forgotten are coming back to me. They didn't used to be important to me, but they are now."

"You lost something precious and now you must replace it."

"I suppose."