InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Tests ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Sesshomaru stood over the map his eyes wide in fear. This wasn't happening. He couldn't find her. Her blood might have changed, but her spirit should have remained the same. The crystal should be able to find her, yet she was lost to him. He couldn't sense her, couldn't seek her. He closed his eyes and hung his head in silent defeat. She was on her own. Slowly his hands closed into fists, his claws gouging furrows in the wood of the table. Perhaps this was as it was supposed to be. She was more than human even before they began their change. More than that, she was a survivor, she had already proven that more than once. He took a deep slow breath and just as slowly let it out. In all his centuries he had never truly been afraid for another. He worried over Rin, it was true, but he had never been afraid. Jaken had always been there to watch over her. Kagome had no one. She was alone.
He shook his head a small smile touching his lips. No, she was never alone. Everywhere she went she managed to find someone. He'd circled the Earth with her and she had always been at home. How very strange that the one woman to capture his heart, should be one with a heart big enough to capture the whole world. He heard footsteps in the hall coming towards his chambers. Doubtless it was Inuyasha. He would demand an update and Sesshomaru had precious little to tell him. There was a soft knock, then the door slid open. Rin stood in the hall, clutching her favorite blanket. He stooped down and picked her up.
“What are you doing here?”
“I had a bad dream.”
“Do you want to stay?” She nodded. “All right then, let's go to bed.”
The next morning he almost immediately ran into Inuyasha outside his chambers. Rin peeked around his legs at the fuming hanyou. She tugged gently at Sesshomaru's leg.
“Sesshomaru-sama?”
“Go get changed. I will see you at breakfast.”
She bowed to him. “Thank you for keeping the bad dreams away.”
Inuyasha waited for Rin to get out of the hallway before letting his temper overflow. “Where the hell is Kagome?”
“I am not meant to find her, so she will remain unfound. I can only wait until the Fates decry that she may be brought home.”
Inuyasha snarled softly. “She is your subject. I demand…”
Sesshomaru stepped closer, his chest almost touching Inuyasha's. The hanyou leaned back, his eyes wide as he realized he had no where to go.
“You will demand nothing while you are in this house. You are not the only one who wants her back.”
Inuyasha felt his eyes go wide. “What…”
“You will return to your rooms and stay there until summoned. Be glad I have endured you this long.”
Inuyasha fought the urge to flatten his ears against his skull in submission. He did let out a soft whimper. “But she's my friend…”
Sesshomaru felt the urge to give in, perhaps even to comfort him. “She is strong, and more than ready for this test. I have watched her grow. She will succeed.”
“Test?”
“This is a test, and not one of Earthly origin. She will pass it though. I believe it.”
He had to believe it. She was everything to him. He brushed past Inuyasha and made his way to the dining hall. His mind turned over again and again every moment he had spent with her. He sat down to the meal and did not eat anything. He craved her and nothing else. No other food would satisfy him, no other drink. He would be happy if only he could drown in her eyes for the rest of his life.