InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ In the Land of Oden ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome landed face down in deep snow. Slowly she pushed herself up, trying to get her bearings. She was definitely not in Europe anymore, or at least, not a part of Europe she wanted to remain in long. Neil came over and she gave him a reassuring pat.
“Any idea where we are?”
“None, but I can smell people, they are close.”
“Lead on.”
They walked slowly through the deep snow. Neil led the way, blazing a trail for her to follow. The silk kimono and soft slippers were not enough protection against the severe cold. Her hands and feet were numb in seconds, and the rest of her body was not far behind. She stopped and closed her eyes, concentrating her powers on creating a shield around her body. She warmed the air within. After a moment she opened her eyes and saw Neil watching her.
“That will be better for you. We must hurry, I smell a storm in the air. If you ride me, it will go faster.”
She climbed on, her fingers digging into his thick fur. “Are you cold?”
“I will be fine, especially if we get to shelter soon.”
He took off, bounding through the snow. Kagome laughed softly as he ran. They descended from the pass. Nestled in valley near a river was a wood structure surrounded by palisades. Neil continued his bounding gate until they were three hundred meters from the walls. Kagome dismounted and side by side they approached the walls. The gates opened and she watched as a large fur-clad man approached her. A frost white beard covered his chest, and light intelligent eyes regarded her. He stopped a few meters away.
“Who are you, why have you come here?”
“I am Kagome, I am on a great journey. It was my hope that you would shelter myself and my companion through the up-coming storm.”
She saw him start and glance up at the sky. At last he returned his attention to her. “You may stay the night with us, as for the wolf…”
“Neil would not hurt any of your people. I will personally answer for any crime he commits.”
“That will be cold comfort if he slaughters us all in our sleep.”
She drew herself up. “I will not leave him for the storm.”
They stood for long minutes in a stalemate. The cold crept over them and despite the other's warm garments, he shivered slightly. Kagome was burning up her magical reserves keeping herself warm, but she refused to lose this duel. At last he nodded.
“You both may enter.”
Inside the walls was a single structure with several smaller ones attached to it. The main hall was warmed by a roaring fire and there seemed to be several dozen people eating at a large table. The stench of sweat, urine, and grease slapped Kagome in the face and she coughed softly. Fighting hard to breath through her mouth she let him lead her to the fire where they sat.
“Have you a name?”
“Kagome, and you?”
“Erik.”
“I see.” She turned and looked into the fire. Neil was laying at her feet, steam rising from his fur. “You seem perfectly comfortable here.”
He opened a single eye to regard her. “It's warm, that's all that matters at this point.”
She smiled at him then turned her gaze on Erik once more. “You can talk to the wolf?”
“Yes.”
“And he answers you. That is new to us, but then, this seems to be the time of change for my people. The winter comes early, the crops fail, and now this storm. Dark times are coming and a stranger walks out of the wilderness, begging the warmth of my hearth. I do not know what to make of it all.”
She shook her head slightly. “It is not just here. Everywhere in the world is filled with dark portents. In Africa healthy women give birth to stillborn children, in India rivers dry up and wars are fought over water. To the South of here, the Church has lost its hold on its people and those with fewer morals than brains seek to harm innocent men and women. The magic of the world is imbalanced. I cannot say it any simpler. What powers that control all things are being lost and it seems that myself and my companions are to help restore them.”
“What other companions do you have?”
She glanced significantly at Neil. “A wolf, and…I don't know what you would call Sesshomaru. He is a peerless warrior and a mage of no small caliber. I don't doubt he will be here soon.”
“Are you asking me to shelter him?”
She gave a soft bark of laughter. “I think he'd sooner freeze to death than sleep under the same roof as so many humans. Still, if that is his only option, he may yet be willing to tolerate this place. As for asking…he doesn't do that very well. He demands, and expects, and usually gets exactly what he wants. He really can be an arrogant bastard at times.”
Erik watched the smile that touched her lips. So this companion of hers was not human, and she was also in love with him. This might be interesting. There was every possibility that this woman was exactly what she stated, but it was also easily possible that she was not. The creatures of this land were notoriously fickle. Faeries and Elves often sought a man's hearth and in exchange gave him wonders for his kindness, but only if the kindness was genuine. There was also the chance that she was a demon. Only Odin could command wolves, and he had never heard of Frigg borrowing her husband's…pets did not seem the right word and he shook his head.
“He may stay if he wishes.”
She nodded her thanks, her eyelids drooping. Erik watched as she slowly fell to sleep. He rose, but before he could touch her the wolf growled a soft warning. Erik eyed him suspiciously.
“I won't harm her.”
The growl deepened and he retreated to his seat. The wolf rose and nuzzled her gently before laying down at her feet. Erik rose and returned to his table. His people watched her for a moment before the women decided to ignore her. The men were not the same story. He caught more than one of his warriors eyeing her. He cleared his throat loudly and the meal began. It was well into the night when the woman stirred again. She opened her eyes and looked around the near-deserted hall. Erik regained his seat.
“You slept for a long time. Your wolf would not let me touch you.”
She scratched him gently behind the ear. “He cares a great deal for me. It is his duty to protect me.”
Erik began to reconsider his Frigg theory. Odin's wife did not necessarily need protecting, but it sounded right. “He does his job well.”
The wind howled around the building and slowly she rose. “Does it always sound like that?”
“No.”
She walked to the great front doors and placed her hand on the wood. She hissed softly and stepped back. He watched as she regained her seat. “That storm is alive. I've never…well no, not never, but I've rarely felt so much hatred all wound up in one thing before.”
She looked hard at her the man before her. He looked to be in his forties and well muscled. His aura jumped and rippled in response to her presence. Yes, this man had a great destiny, she could feel it. She could also feel his death looming ahead of them. He watched as her eyes became sad. Slowly she rose and approached him. Her finger tips caressed his cheek as she looked down at him.
“When they come for you, you will be taken to a place where joy shall surround you. The Christian Heaven is a place for Christians, you have no place there, but in Valhalla you will have a seat of honor.”
His eyes widened in shock and he seemed to shrink back into the chair. She retreated, worried she had scared him in some way. After a moment his gaze fixed on hers and held her. She did not move or look away. At last he spoke.
“Are you a God?”
“No…not exactly. I am not human, not anymore.”
“How can you know this then?”
“I know because it has always been given to me to see certain things. You are destined for something great, what I cannot see or say, and you will die as all men do. I know you will not find a place in the Christian Heaven or Hell, there is already a seat made ready for you in Valhalla. You will be one of the last the Valkiries claim.”
He let out a long breath. “I think I understand.”
“Go to sleep. You will have a long day before you. This storm is intent on someone or something. I do not think it is me. I have a strong feeling though, that it is you.”
“You do not send this old man to bed with many comforting thoughts.”
She smiled at him and Erik felt his insides melt. She was lovely, beautiful, but with the full force of that smile upon him he suddenly felt as though he was standing in the presence of a Goddess. He could lift up the mountains for her, if only she commanded him to.
“I will be here in the night, I will watch as see that no harm befalls your family.”
“You have my thanks.”
“Now sleep.”
Of its own volition, his body rose from the chair and carried him to his chamber. He stripped and climbed into the massive bed with his wife. Despite the thoughts that bounced around his head, his eyes closed and he slept.