InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ The Angel of Death ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome slipped through the gates late that night. Sister Mary Claire watched in silence as the silver-clad apparition disappeared into the woods. This Kagome was more than she seemed. By day she was an ordinary woman, but by night she became this strange creature. She was not of this Earth. As ordered she ran to the Mother and told her. That night she was joined on watch by the Mother as well as the young woman Claire. It was almost dawn when she stepped from the woods. Midway to the walls she stopped. It was as though something had called out to her. She turned to look down the road. In the distance a cloud of dust rose into the sky.

Kagome looked down at her clothes for a moment, then glanced between the convent and the forest before sprinting for the cover of the woods. By the time the sun had risen above the horizon, Lord Jean with a force of over a hundred men at his back had appeared. Claire felt her heart in her throat. This was all because of her. Jean signaled for his men to halt. Suddenly from the forest burst the wolf. He slid to a stop between the walls and the force. Another signal and rifles were brought to bear. Claire watched in horror as he smiled and gave the order to fire.

There was a roar and the ground around the wolf exploded in a cloud of dust. When it cleared, Kagome stood in front of the uninjured wolf, her hand extended before her. She looked over her shoulder at them, an expression of disgust on her face before facing Jean.

"There are few humans, in my experience, that deserve death. You, however, are making me think that I need to change that rule. I have slain in battle, as have many. But never have I looked a human in the eye and taken his life."

"I doubt you have taken any lives."

Kagome closed her eyes, her hand began to glow and Jean lifted from his saddle. She lifted him a dozen feet into the air. She breathed out and opened her eyes.

"I do not want to hurt you, but I will if I must."

"Put me down witch!"

Kagome lifted him higher. "If that is what you wish, but I doubt you will escape unscathed."

He growled softly. "If you will not release me then my men will slay you."

She sighed wearily. "Honestly, I am getting very sick of this. Everywhere I go I get beat up or used or betrayed. I'm beginning to think that there are few humans truly worth my time. It's no wonder God brought the floodwaters. Perhaps a repeat is in order."

The Mother Superior burst from the gate and threw herself at Kagome's feet. "Please, dear Angel, forgive this man. He is not worth your anger."

Kagome's eyes went wide as she mouthed the word angel. They thought her some sort of celestial being. "I think he is worth my anger. He has violated the laws and sanctity of the Church."

"So you would destroy the world?"

She sighed softly and lowered her arm. Jean fell heavily and stayed down. "No, I spoke out of anger. Forgive me. I cannot allow him to remain here, but it is not my duty to remove him from this place."

Sesshomaru suddenly appeared by Jean, Tokijin glowing a flaming red in the dawn light. "Then I shall send him to the beyond."

A single slash and Jean was dead. Kagome nodded slightly and looked at the Mother. The old woman was cowering as she stared at Sesshomaru. "The Angel of Death."

Kagome stepped forward. "Thank you…I guess."

"We must go. We can't remain here any longer."

She nodded. "I understand. Come Neil, we are no longer needed in this place."

She stepped toward the wolf. Suddenly the ground lurched beneath them. They lifted off the ground. Kagome gave a scream as she lifted off the ground. She reached for Sesshomaru, but neither of them were fast enough. Suddenly she flying far above the Earth. Sesshomaru watched as she vanished from sight. He clenched his fists.

"I will find you. I swear it."

The Mother rose slowly. "Are you the Angel of Death?"

"I have been called that in the past."

"And she…she is an angel as well?"

"She is not human if that is what you mean. I must go. It is my duty to find and protect her."