InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Enemies of Days Gone By ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!! I already tried this once and got exactly ZERO responses so here we go again. I am currently working on two fics that place Kagome in Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast situations. To all my avid readers I think you know well enough that these will not be the tradition G rated versions. There will be plenty of violence and angst and enough internal conflict to make Manson look stable. Please, please, please tell me what you think. In general and specific. I will include a small clip from each at the end of this chapter. If I get no responses I will do it my way and to Hell with all of you.

*****************************

The next morning, Kagome awoke feeling odd. She felt lighter…no, not exactly, more like she was stronger and things just took less effort. She walked out into the garden. Here an elderly nun was trying to pick vegetables for the day. Kagome lifted the basket for her and held it as she filled it.

"What, no fresh kills today, demon slayer?"

Kagome shook her head. "I never said I was a demon slayer. As to the hunt…I have a feeling I will be needed here more than out there today."

"A feeling?"

"In the pit of my stomach, like…like…"

"Like the feeling you get when you know a battle is coming?"

"Exactly."

"Then perhaps a battle is coming. Doubtless it will involve Lord Jean in some way."

"Please, will you answer something for me?"

"I will try."

"I thought you could only buy and sell slaves. Why is it that you can buy and sell women as well?"

The old woman sighed softly as she struggled to her feet, Kagome helped her up and watched as she brushed dirt from her skirt. "It is not exactly the same, at least that is what people say. They call it a dowry, but as you say it is a life of slavery that she will be condemned to. She was right to run."

"But wrong to run here. Jean does not care about the laws of sanctuary. He does not care about the sanctity of the Church. When he returns, he will expect no resistance because he will return ready for a fight."

"And you must face him."

She looked away. "I have never taken a human life, not in face to face combat."

"There is more to you than a bow." Kagome nodded slightly. "You will do well."

"You remind me of a woman I once knew. She was wise and she…I thought of her like my grandmother."

"You miss her."

"I do. There are many I miss, but my mission is not yet done. Someday I will return where I belong."

They both turned at the sound of horses from beyond the walls. Kagome set the basket down. One of the sisters peeked through the opening in the gate. Kagome heard her gasp and an exchange of words. In it all she could hear Lord Jean's voice. Anger filled her and she began to run towards the wall. She heard the sister scream as his men tried to push past her. Kagome's fist contacted the man's face, throwing him a dozen feet before he skidded to a stop, unconscious. The other soldiers backed away. Kagome took up a fighting stance, her eyes shifting from warrior to warrior. Jean was not a threat, she doubted he'd ever even drawn his sword.

"You and I have already had this little chat, Jean. You will leave this place and not return."

"You will address me as is proper."

A smile touched her lips. "I will slaughter you and your men if you do not leave this place."

Several of his soldiers seemed to take this to heart. One man, a fully armored knight seemed to back away. She turned to face him.

"You would dishonor yourself so? Attacking hallowed ground? You are not worthy of your titles."

"I serve Lord Jean."

"You serve the Lord God and his son who died for your sins. There is no higher calling. I will defend this place and these women against every single one of you. If I must I will kill you. Do not force me to take this action."

The knight seemed to waver. Kagome knew his kind was a dying breed, but honor was bred into every fiber of his being. Unless he was a free lance, a knight for hire, he would not want to be here. Finally he nodded slightly.

"You could kill us all I think. I will leave, and I will take my men. We have no desire to die here or bring slaughter to this place."

She watched as he turned and a good half of Jean's men rode away with him. Jean seemed to growl softly, before turning his horse and following. Kagome relaxed and slipped inside the walls. She helped the sister close the gate before leaning her head against it. After a moment she turned to look at them, a sad smile on her face.

"I've never attacked a human before."

Tears slid down her face, and the matronly sister pulled her into her arms. Gently she patted her back, trying to calm her sobs. "Hush now. You did what you had to. No blood was shed, no lives taken. There is no harm done."

"There will come a time when blood must be shed. What will I do then? I have never killed a human before. At least, not something that was entirely human."

"Entirely?"

"He was human once, but he gave his body and soul over to demons. He became something else, something evil. I had to destroy him."

"Yes, you did. Never doubt. You must do what you must do."

Cinderella

Kagome caught sight of Yoshi staring at her and her face hardened again.

"That one has a dark heart."

Sesshomaru nodded, his eyes equally dark. "You have no idea."

"No, Sesshomaru-sama, you have no idea."

He seemed to start. Gently he took her hand. "Will you give me the honor of a dance?"

She tried a smile on and found that with Sesshomaru it was not so hard to do. "I would love to."

He spun her expertly into the whirling couples his other hand resting on her waist as they danced. "I fear you have me at a disadvantage."

"Oh?"

"You know my name, but I do not know yours."

A mysterious smile touched her face as her eyes scanned the crowd. "Perhaps in a place with fewer ears."

They danced until the music stopped. He was about to speak again when the Taiyoukai of the North bowed to her and took her hand. "You can't have every pretty face as your own, Sesshomaru-sama, learn to share."

Before either could respond he swung her out onto the dance floor.

Her eyes darted toward the guests and he nodded. "I had thought you were not coming."

"I almost didn't. If Yoshi had his way I would still be in the kitchen, scrubbing out pots and tending the spit."

"He doesn't know it's you. I could scent lust on him."

She shuddered. "I have come to ask for your help. He holds my pup hostage, he dangles the lives of my friends before my eyes to buy my compliance. I do not wish to live as his slave anymore."

Beast

"No one but a god could have done this to you, my friend."

He looked down at his claws. "I understand. You have my gratitude."

"I do not deserve it. I am sorry I couldn't help you."

She hung her head and both Shippou and Sesshomaru seemed disturbed by her level concern. Two tears slipped down her face and Shippou jumped into her lap.

"Okaasan?"

"Please, shed no tears because of me."

She shook her head. "I had thought to stay here, but it seems I cannot even live properly in this world either."

"Okaasan? You won't leave me, will you?"

"No, I would never leave you." She hugged him to her and looked up at Sesshomaru. "I wish I could help, I truly do."

She bent her head. Sobs racked her body. She released Shippou and buried her face in her hands. Sesshomaru did not understand this outburst. What was wrong with her? Did she really feel so strongly about being able to help him? No, there was something else. She had said she had no place here. Perhaps now that Naraku was dead she was feeling lost. He could understand that more than a little. Hesitantly he reached out and touched her shoulder. She looked up at him.

"You will find your path. Every one must become lost for a time, it is the only way we can be found."

Her eyes widened at his wisdom. "I am sorry to burden you with this."

"It is something we must all face, miko. Do not be ashamed of you tears or of the fear in your heart. I know it well."