InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Cruisin' ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~
~<>~ Chapter 9 ~<>~ Cruisin'
 
 
`Well, at least Miroku wasn't kidding about the teacher not being present,' InuYasha thought mildly from his chair in the back of the large room. It had been over twenty minutes into the forty-minute class and the teacher had yet to show up. `In college, you can just leave,' InuYasha remembered as he sighed dejectedly. This was such a waste of his time.
 
InuYasha glared about the room again and involuntarily shivered. Just being near the chorus room always gave him the willies; he had respect for those who could sing, but singing was not his forte…. not anywhere near it. Now he was stuck in this class that he was sure would bring about his death. Sighing, InuYasha glared at the side of Miroku's head going over a hundred different ways he could kill the boy without moving from his chair. Not that it was Miroku's fault that he was trapped in this hell, but he was the closest thing to take it out on. He grinned as he watched Miroku shift nervously in his seat, stealing a few glances in the glaring hanyou's direction.
 
Noticing a few people staring at him, InuYasha dawned on the rationalization that he had been unconsciously growling for over ten minutes, not something all that appealing, he thought with dread. He scoffed and stared at a freshman that was sitting closest to him. They boy was an easy target; InuYasha deducted in a few seconds, and would prove a wonderful asset to draw the attention away from himself.
 
The orange haired scruff ball sat by himself and had his head buried in some manga comic from the beginning of the `class'. No one had bothered to greet the child when he arrived late and not a soul had moved to speak to him. `He will definitely do the trick,' InuYasha mused. Noticing the boy was in the middle of stealing a glimpse over the top of the comic at the hanyou, InuYasha laid into him. “What the fuck are you staring at?”
 
The kid seemed to nearly pass out when the hanyou barked at him. “Uhh…” the kid with the evergreen eyes scooted his chair back from the angry newcomer in front of him. “Nothing, honest! You were just…um…that is….” the young boy desperately stared about the room for someone to save him from the unrelenting glower of the hanyou. The kid grimaced then whispered, “It's just that you've been growling.”
 
InuYasha inwardly grinned as he slid his chair closer to the petrified freshmen, the scraping of the metal legs grating on the kid's resolve. His stoic expression remained unchanged on his face as he inched closer to the boy. Speaking in a whisper loud enough to echo the room, he goaded, “and you feel it is your place to stare at me, to inform me…to talk to me?” InuYasha tried to maintain his emotionless facade, tried to make his voice flat but anger still flared off every word. `So is the story of my life,' he thought as he closed in the distance. `Just how does Sesshoumaru manage to keep so…emotionless?' he wondered in amazement.
 
Here InuYasha was picking on some small freshman for shits and giggles and couldn't control his rage when his brother had remained impassive at the threats of criminal gangsters. `Keh, I don't want to be like that fucker anyway,' he thought angrily as he crossed his arms. He returned his attention to the situation at hand, glaring at the kid, awaiting his answer…or for the kid to piss himself and cry.
 
“No…no, not at all! I just thought…” The boy was shaking now and had backed himself up against the wall. He looked over the InuYasha's shoulder in desperation to set his sights on another junior who he knew. He didn't fear Miroku like he was learning to the man in front of him; Miroku just wasn't someone Shippo spent his time with. With a low groan of commiseration, Shippo realized that there wasn't a hope in the world that anyone was going to come to his aid…or for that matter, that anyone in the room would stop this hanyou from beating him to a bloody pulp.
 
“That's your problem, chump…” InuYasha shot to his feet and stood over the boy, a scowl plastered onto his face. He leaned down and placed a hand on the boy's bright orange hair. Holding the kid in place by his head, InuYasha continued to edge him on. “You think; you're thinking right now about how I'm going to kill you….” A grin played its way onto the hanyou's face; a grin that one would expect to see Lucifer mimicking, “and you're right…and see, if you weren't thinking that, you wouldn't be scared.”
 
InuYasha grabbed the front of Shippo's shirt and laughed mercilessly as the boy cried out in terror. He yanked Shippo from his chair and lifted him about a foot off the ground, so that the two were eyelevel. “It's amazing that you've lasted two months in school. There are scumbags' worse then me out there who would kill you rather then take the time of day…”
 
InuYasha's ranting was cut short by a very determined angry voice that boomed out from behind InuYasha. “Put him down, now!”
 
InuYasha smirked as he shrugged his shoulders and dropped the cub onto the floor. He felt the grin solidify as he turned on his heels to come face to face with an infuriated Kagome. Her nose was wrinkled and her face resembled a tomato, InuYasha noted as he tilted his head to his right shoulder to stare at her for a moment, before shrugging his shoulders again. “As you say, Princess…but I would be to think that you wouldn't waste your precious time on such a low life!” He grinned a toothy evil smile that only confirmed his relationship to the Devil to the girl in front of him. His eyes laughed at her as he continued to stare. Feigning shock, InuYasha blinked twice and threw in a rather concerned air of confusion to his voice. “Could it be that the mighty Kagome can feel for something beneath her golden throne?”
 
Kagome sneered at the hanyou and inhaled sharply. `I'm so sick of this,' she thought angrily; `All he has done since he arrived at this school is mock me and insult me. He doesn't even know me! It's like I'm back in third grade!' She looked into his eyes and felt her scowl darken. `He has to feel something, the bastard asked me out. I mean, what is his angle?' Shaking her head, she concluded in thought, `I don't care what he thinks; he is such an arrogant jerk! I really want nothing to do with this boy.' Placing her balled fists on her hips, she leaned in to meet him head on, their faces inches apart. “You don't know me and I don't know you. Stop pretending like we do…”
 
In an instant the hanyou had her enveloped in his arms, his hands resting on the lower part of her hips right below her fists. He stared down into her eyes as a sly smile played across his lips and mischief bore from his golden gaze. He leaned in and spoke in her ear soft enough for only Kagome to hear. The warmth of his breath against the flesh of her ear sent shivers up the girl's spine. “But we do know each other, Kagome. Are you forgetting the club and my entrance into your life as the Gold Eyed God?” Pulling back, he grinned at her and raised his voice for the class to listen in on his torment of the poor girl.
 
“Or was I mistaken when I heard that title, cause if you're talking about my brother; he's gay and it would be a waste of your time.” He winked at the girl and pulled her closer, so that her right cheek was pressing up to his chest. For a moment he indulged in the feel of her body against his, and just how nicely it fit to him. It made him wonder just how well his cock would fit into her. “But I'm sure we can get to know each other a little better, Princess. What do you say, back of my car after school?”
 
By God, did he love the reaction that got from her? He could almost feel the heat from the fury that blazed through her body like a wild fire. However, InuYasha missed seeing her raise her hand, but he sure as hell felt the sting of her palm smacking his face.
 
InuYasha growled as he turned his head with the blow, and then snapped his attention back to the angry girl in front of him. His eyes blazed into hers as he growled out in more shock then pain; “Bitch, what have I told you about doing that?”
 
Kagome stared angrily into the boy's eyes; though her body was still reacting from the closeness that InuYasha had forced her into, and the warmth of his embrace and its effect on her mind was still intoxicating her, her mind was screaming for her to retaliate. `Who does he think he is?' She wondered as she narrowed her brown eyes to glare at him. Unfortunately, a louder part of her brain was screaming the truth; this boy was going to be her undoing.
 
Kagome couldn't believe he had insinuated her to be some sort of slut who would put out in the backseat of a car! She shook her head angrily at the mere accusation. `I'm not Kikyo,' she thought over and over again. Barely considering her movement and acting out more in haste then scorn, she raised her hand to him. Yet as soon as her hand landed crossed his face, she knew there was going to be trouble.
 
InuYasha growled…he actually growled at her. Her eyes widened as he stared into hers after the blow and she watched him get angry; she watched the rage boil in his blood and somehow knew that she had made a horrid mistake. `Crap,' she thought miserably. She had so far evoked a nasty wrath from this boy in one day without as much as hurting him, but now…what would he do with anger as his motive?
 
`I don't care,' she forced herself to believe, `he can't argue with me more then he already has. He's been a jerk since I first met him and an inconsiderate asshole!' She gulped as she felt his hand tighten on her shoulder, claws biting into the material of her shirt, yet not puncturing it. That was good; it meant he was still reserved in his action, however his gorgeous molten gaze strengthen its hold on Kagome.
 
In an instant Sango was by her side with one hand planted on Kagome's shoulder and another on InuYasha's. In a daring act, she pushed the two apart, working her way between them. Sango blocked Kagome from InuYasha's gaze, her eyes now being the focus of his discontent. “Don't ever touch her like that! How dare you?”
 
The hanyou met Sango's glare and agreed to the challenge of the brewing war. He hated these uber hypocritical feminist types. They jump into situations like this, stepping up to a brawl, and yet when a male lands a punch, he becomes the target of a riot, a picket, or a charge of sexual abuse because the bitch that was acting like a male couldn't run with the big boys.
 
Letting go of Kagome, InuYasha backed out of the range of Sango's foot, not wishing to experience that pain he felt before, but there was no way he was backing down to this G.I Jane. If she wanted a fight, he was game. Miroku would just have to get over it. “What do you plan on doing about it, Bitch? And if you're gonna bitch at me about touching her, then tell that wench to keep her hands to herself.”
 
Sango snorted and crossed her arms. “You really want to ask me that here?” She balled her hands into fists and stared at the hanyou. “…Cause if you're looking for a fight, I'll gladly consent!”
 
InuYasha scoffed loudly and rolled his eyes. “You wouldn't stand two seconds against me, Bitch, cause unlike some males, I don't give a damn if you have a pussy, you fuck with me and I'll punch you in your teeth. You really don't want to take me on, Bitch…I don't want to hit a chick, but I will.”
 
Sango narrowed her eyes and shook her head. “You really are a self conceded asshole, you know that?”
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow and countered back angrily, “I'm a conceded asshole? Look at you and your bitchy friends! You won't even fuckin' talk to people below you!” Throwing a glare over his shoulder at Shippo, who was watching the proceedings in awe with Miroku, InuYasha pointed at the kid. It seemed that the entire class was watching the fight unfold from the edge of their seats. “Do you even know this boy's fuckin' name?”
 
Kagome laid a hand on Sango's shoulder nearly pushing her out of her way to get to InuYasha. She had heard enough of this and sure as hell didn't need Sango to stand in for her. It was time to knock this asshole off his pedestal; “His name is Shippo and he's a freshman this year. He's an alto and has a very good voice. He likes to read comics rather then join us in our choir practice, however.”
 
Behind InuYasha, Shippo was experiencing a range of emotions. He seemed elated that Kagome knew so much about him, yet shocked that Kagome would even admit that she knew anything.
 
With a scoff, Kagome crossed her arms and tapped her foot. “You know, you shouldn't listen to gossip. Most civilized people understand that much, jerk. Yet you insist on categorizing me like I'm some sort of book. Well guess what Asshole; me, Sango and Rin are not the selfish bitches most people make us out to be. You would know that if you could get your head dislodged from your ass for two seconds!” She narrowed her brow and crossed her arms to mimic his stance. “Since you showed up here, all you've wanted to do was make my life a living hell, and then you have the audacity to ask me out? I should have told you this outside but you couldn't keep your paws off of me. It was pathetic really, reminds me of a choir boy with a hard on rather then the man that you pretend to be.” She grinned as the cocky bastard seemed nearly dumbfounded. “Here's my answer to our date on Friday; no way in hell would I be caught dead with you.”
 
InuYasha's eyes darkened as lava nearly poured out of his amber eyes. It was a moment that everyone held their breath, waiting to see what the resolution would be, and how high the hanyou would blow. Yet to everyone's shock, a smile twitched onto the hanyou's lips and he simply shrugged his shoulders. His tone was even, humorous even, as if he was explaining addition to a six year old. “You know what…don't worry Princess; I know you better then you know yourself. You're one hell of a stuck up snob, but that's all right, because on Friday, I'm going to take you out, show you how to have fun without a foot up your ass…and then fill in where that foot used to be with my dick, and fuck you four ways from Friday.”
 
Kagome's eyes darkened, as did Sango's. “Like hell…”
 
Before InuYasha could add in yet another vividly sexual comment, a man walked into the classroom and glanced about at the students. He was slightly older then the student body, probably in his mid twenties. He had short black hair and was considerably dressed casually for a teacher. The only distinguishable characteristic of this man as a teacher was the black briefcase that he carried in his hand. “Well…what do we have going on here?”
 
Kagome turned quickly to the teacher and smiled a fake innocent grin, completely dropping the previous conversation with ease. “We have a new student, Kenchi-sensei.” The smile slipped from her face as she heard him scoff behind her. With a smile even in her voice, she added, “and his name's asshole.”
 
InuYasha had begun to simmer down from the infuriating argument with that bitchy girl but listening to her denounce him in front of the teacher pissed him off to no end. Turning to stare in Kagome's direction, who was trying to ignore his existence, InuYasha stuck out his index finger and bellowed in her direction. His tone was void of any of his playful antics. The pure rage that glistened in his words sent chills up Kagome's spine. “Listen you self-centered, prissy little cu…”
 
Kenchi clicked his tongue against his teeth as he approached the bickering pair. Inwardly he winced at Kagome's choice in words, but dreaded hearing InuYasha finish his sentence. He had been her chorus teacher for three years now and had not once ever heard Kagome take a derogative tone with anyone, let alone utter a profanity. He shook his head and quickly interrupted InuYasha's rant. “Children, this is not the place to be having these kinds of arguments. If you wish to carry them out, please do so in your bedrooms, not my chorus room.” The class giggled at the teacher's statement and both InuYasha and Kagome felt red surge across their cheeks. The teacher then turned his attention to InuYasha. “I will have to ask you to keep profanity out of this room, as I'm sure you can understand; this is a school building, not some parking lot for delinquent behavior. Now, with that said, what's your name?”
 
InuYasha turned to glower at the teacher. Wanting nothing more than to curse the bastard out, InuYasha relented. “Tashio InuYasha.”
 
Kenchi smiled at the progress and nodded slowly, `So far so good, at least he's vocal' he thought to himself as he placed his briefcase on the ground. He gave the boy a friendly smile. “Okay, and tell me InuYasha, why are you in chorus?”
 
*X*X*X*X*X*XX*X*X*X*XX*X*X*X*X*X*
 
 
InuYasha sat in the parking lot with Miroku after the last bell rang for the day,
staring off into the blue sky. He had a half lit cigarette hanging from his mouth, relishing the toxins as they entered his lungs. Miroku was still laughing, and had been for over twenty minutes. InuYasha grumbled at the boy with an irritated sigh, “just let it die already!”
 
Miroku smiled widely at his friend and shook his head no. This year was drastically improving with this newcomer's arrival. “Do you realize you nearly got detention on your first day of class? Come on, that's some sort of accomplishment, isn't it?” He threw his hand around and patted the hanyou roughly on the back with another hysterical outburst of laughter.
 
InuYasha shook his head angrily and shook his shoulders ridding himself of Miroku's grasp. “No, it's not. Look, the fucker wanted to know why I wouldn't fuckin' sing for him. I ain't a damned caged canary!” InuYasha shrugged his shoulders as his lips twisted into a smirk. “He got his answer!”
 
Miroku shook his head and began to laugh once again. “You had to have said fuck nearly twenty times in five sentences. Do you understand that? If Kenchi-sensi wasn't young, you would be expelled without questionable doubt.”
 
InuYasha growled a warning at the boy who quickly shut his mouth. Expulsion was one of the many things InuYasha refused to speak about, having encountered it less then six months prior.
 
The pair continued to stare into streets of Tokyo as the students piled out of the building and began the long walk home. Seeing a flash of raven, InuYasha tore his gaze from that in front of him to the three women departing the school from a few hundred yards away. His golden gaze focused intensely on Kagome as her and the bitchy mouseketeers' walked from the chorus room.
 
InuYasha growled under his breath as he caught sight of Kenchi waving to the girl's from the exit. `Is he staring at her ass?' He shook his head and realized that the teacher was merely waving to the girls as they left, and that there was little doubt of any sexual connotation in his behavior. InuYasha caught himself before his jealousy got the better of him.
 
`Damn,' he groaned inwardly as he kicked at the dirt in the street, prying his eyes away from the girls. `This isn't good; I cannot be that jealous over Kagome already. Shit…no girl is worth that…' And in his history, he had proven that time and time again. His longest relationship had been with some girl back in Kyushu on his second time around named... `Kiki…no…Kieko….no…Kora, that's it. That bitch knew how to fuck!' and his relationships normally ended when his friend's got involved in the relationship…and normally ended up sleeping the said girl. With a shake of his head, he drew himself back to the present, `But this girl…Kagome, she's different. She's a challenge…the others…they always flung themselves at me, they took the fun out of the chase.' With a smirk, he shook his head. `Keh, they were all whores, they just wanted to get fucked. But Kagome…' He grabbed the cigarette from his mouth and dashed it to the ground. He blinked the thought away from his mind's eye and glared out to the street.
 
InuYasha scowled as he watched the three girls' part ways and head for a few of the cars on the street; cars that had to be well over a fifty thousand U.S. dollars each. Casting a withered glance at Miroku, he asked, “Is it like a club or something? To go to this school one needs money and to be part of those mousketeers, you need a rich bitch car?”
 
Miroku only nodded as his eyes trailed Sango's every move.
 
Sango owned a beautifully finished baby blue BMW Z4 roadster that InuYasha was sure that her parents had paid for. She shouted her goodbyes to the other girls as she reached her car and yelled for Kagome to call her. InuYasha mentally noted to make sure to steal Sango's cell phone the next day to get Kagome's number from her.
 
Rin hugged Kagome and made a few emphatic hand gestures of which InuYasha was sure was in regards to his heckling of the wench. Rin then hugged Kagome one more time and began striding towards a car that had nearly made InuYasha drool. Rin had herself a beautiful red Porsche Carrera GT; a car that could easily be worth half a million dollars.
 
`Damn,' InuYasha thought with a low whistle that Miroku nodded to, `I need to find out what her parents do for a living.' Shaking his head, he watched Kagome as she sprinted off towards her car, signaling for Rin to call her. `Lucky bitches,' he thought with a sneer, `they have all this fuckin money and these great cars. I'm lucky if I can get five dollars of my inheritance to get myself some clothes for school.'
 
He nearly whimpered in envy as Kagome reached her silver 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Roadster. Yet that mood shifted as he caught Kagome's gaze drifting to where he was sitting and could nearly feel the electric spark of hatred ignite in her eyes. Flipping his palm up and keeping his fingers extended, he waggled his middle finger at the girl with the explicit meaning of his gesture written shamelessly across his face. To top it off, he stuck out his tongue and flicked it in her direction.
 
Kagome's face went rather pale as she screamed at him, “you're one sick, perverted man, and I really hope your dick rots off!” with a disgusted sigh, she opened the door and got into her car.
 
Sighing, InuYasha turned his head to stare at Miroku. “Roku; the bitch who runs my house wants me to fuckin' walk home, so I'm relying in you to have one of those rich fuckin' cars.”
 
Miroku glanced from where Kagome had been standing to InuYasha, catching only the last part of his words. With a sigh and a knowledge that he really didn't want to contemplate just what InuYasha had done to anger Kagome more so then before, he nodded. “Oddly enough, I did drive here today. Normally I walk, but hell…it was looking like it was gonna rain. Traffic will be a bitch, as it always is, but hell…I have nothing going on, I'll show you around town.”
 
InuYasha stood from where they had sat and slapped Miroku on his back, “way not to let me down buddy. You're good at this.”
 
Miroku winced at the blow from the hanyou, but nevertheless, stood up and led the hanyou towards his pride in joy.
 
As they approached Miroku's 2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, InuYasha nearly began to drool. Shaking his head almost angrily, he demanded, “Tell me, just how did you convince your parents to buy you a car that's easily worth two hundred thousand US dollars?”
 
Miroku paused as he reached the door of his car. He grimaced in what almost seemed like pain and placed a hand on the roof of the silver car. He rested his forehead against his arm suddenly and InuYasha began to understand. He used to react the same when people asked about his mother.
 
“My parents…” Miroku glanced to InuYasha, his nearly purple eyes unable to hide the still poignant pain. “My parents were rather wealthy…as I'm sure you can tell.” He made a gesture with his free right hand at the car. “But they died.”
 
Miroku sighed heavily and opened the door to the car. Sliding onto the black leather seat he rested his head back against the headrest. The death of his parents was still a sore subject for him to admit to, even two years later. He rarely spoke of it, and avoided nearly every conversation that led to this topic. `It caused me to be an outcast,' he theorized.
 
It took a moment for InuYasha to get into the car as well, understanding the grieving process. Silence ensued as both boys stared off at the busy streets of Tokyo.
 
A moment of understanding passed between the two before InuYasha finally spoke up, “My father and mother are dead as well. My mother died when I was nine, my father when I was eight. I never really knew my dad…my mom was kind of his business trip whore. He would tell Sesshoumaru's mother, Launia that he was going away for business and would make a side trip in to see my mother. Apparently he broke off ties for a few years after he knocked her up. Things got worse when people learned the truth; that he was a big time business tycoon and youkai, and my mother, well, she was human.”
 
InuYasha frowned and shook his head, not knowing why he was actually sharing this information. He never shared this stuff, he wasn't the sharing individual. But somehow, sitting in silence with a guy who actually seemed like he could be a good friend, he relented. “I never really got to know my dad; he would stop by once in a blue moon. He would bring toys for me and money for my mother. We were living with my mom's parents, who were a-class assholes and she wanted to move out.
 
“Then one day my dad stopped showing up, I figured out later that he was dead. When my dad died, my mother's family shunned us out of the house and we had to live basically off of nothing. They feared my father's retribution to lay a hand on their daughter but with his death, their vengeance was swift. Then my mom started getting sick. I had to basically steal all the essentials that we needed to survive.
 
“One night I went to give my mother some soup I had heated up outside and she was…” InuYasha turned and looked out the window of the car, swallowing the tennis-ball sized lump in his throat; “No one discovered her body for three days, and for three days I sat by her side begging for her to wake up. For three days I dealt with that nauseating stench of death…a smell I still can't seem to rid myself of.”
 
Clearing his throat, he summed up the rest of his sob story of a life. Miroku didn't need any more details, he had shared enough. “That's when the police sent me to that fuckin' wench's house. I think I would have been better off on the street...or dead.”
 
Miroku listened to his friend's tragic tale and nodded his head in sympathy. “I didn't have to go through years of that kind of torment, and I'm sorry that you had to. My parents were both killed about two and a half years ago. We were coming home from the first school play I was ever in, and mind you it was also my last…. when a drunk driver t-boned us. Our car was so smashed that it took firefighters and policemen over an hour to break through the contorted metal to get me out. My father had been killed instantly; his door took the blunt force of the other car. My mother had cracked her head open against her side window and died about ten minutes after our car stopped flipping. People who saw the accident said that they watched the car flip over at least seven times, the bastard hit us doing at least fifty. No one knows how I survived but I did. However, I had to sit in the car staring at my father's mangled body for over an hour. I was in shock when they dragged me from the car.
 
“When I finally snapped back into reality, my parents' funeral had been long over, they had been buried and I was living with my aunt. I was a walking drone for almost a month…” Miroku glared at the steering wheel of his car and cursed under his breath. “Needless to say, when I finally came to it, I got the hell out of my aunt's home. With a lot of begging, I was given my own place to live, and my aunt became my trust fund guardian. Getting what I need out of her is like stealing candy from a baby. That's how I got this car, its how I got the place I'm staying at; its how I got everything I ever wanted…” `Except for getting my parents back.' Miroku heaved a sigh and shook his head. “I'd give it all back, you know…”
 
InuYasha joined in his friend's exasperation and nodded in agreement. “I would too.”
 
A thick, impenetrable silence ensued until Miroku stuck the key into the ignition and turned on the car. The engine purred then erupted with a tremendous roar as the car lurched forward. Spinning his tires, Miroku floored it down the street.
 
*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*XX*X*X*
 
Kagome pulled up in front of her house and parked the car along the street. She sat in the car for a moment and laid her head against the black leather headrest. Letting out a deep sigh, Kagome shook her head in disbelief. `I really don't believe that guy. Seriously, who has the audacity to say half the shit he did?'
 
Opening her car door, Kagome pushed all thoughts of InuYasha to the back of her brain. Thinking about him was bound to drive her insane. Instead, she grabbed her book bag and made her way up her shrine steps and into the house. Kicking off her shoes and sliding into her slippers, she breezed through the kitchen door. “…Souta…. I'm home.”
 
Kagome never really expected an answer as she made her way upstairs to her bedroom. She threw her backpack into her room and walked to Souta's door. Angry loud American music blared from behind it and with a sneer of disgust; she pounded her fist against the wood. “Souta…open up!” She screamed over the music and then leaned back on her heels awaiting the door to open. Nothing happened after a minute and she banged again. “Souta, stop ignoring me. Open this door now!”
 
A muffled number of curses ensued from inside but the door never opened. Kagome jiggled the doorknob but it was locked. Souta rarely locked his room. `Of all days, this is not what I need. Why does he always act up when Mom's not home? If she saw how he really is, she'd die of shock!'
 
Kagome shook her head in frustration then walked to her mother's bedroom door. Her mom was still at work, as always. She hardly saw her mom anymore; it was almost like she raised Souta and her mom stopped in to see how things were. Of course Souta didn't feel that way at all. She reached to the top of the doorframe and pulled down the tiny key that her mother always hid.
 
With a sly smile, Kagome returned to his door and banged once more. “Either open up and be decent, or continue being an ass. One way or another, I'm coming in!” Upon no answer, Kagome shrugged and unlocked the door. Opening the door, Kagome was immediately assaulted by blaring music and a deep unhealthy cloud of cigarette smoke. She waved her hand in front of her face and coughed loudly, her fury rising like a teakettles whistle. “Souta Higurashi, you're in so much trouble!” Her eyes were then drawn to the other figure in her baby brother's bedroom and she paused. “Hey Kouga…”
 
The two boys turned and stared at her, Souta's face livid with anger for her invading his privacy, while Kouga looked rather…amused to see her. Souta took the cigarette from his mouth and leaned over towards his radio and turned down the music. He raised an eyebrow and stared at his sister. Kagome returned his stare without words. After a moment, Souta sighed loudly and asked, “What?”
 
Kagome bit her tongue and pointed to the small cancer stick in his hand. “Get rid of it…now!” She turned to glare at the teen on the other end of his bed. “You too. That's just disgusting to do in someone's house. Don't you know you will never get that out of fabric?”
 
Kouga grinned sheepishly, took the cigarette from Souta and stood from the foot of the boy's bed. “I'm sorry, Kagome. Point me to the bathroom and I'll get rid of these things. I meant no disrespect.”
 
Kagome gave him a weary glare then pointed towards the hallway. “Thank you Kouga.” She shot a glare at her brother when the older boy left the room. “Are you going to tell me what you and Kouga are doing in here with the door locked or should I leave that to my imagination?”
 
Souta glared at the girl and narrowed his eyes then grabbed the remote that lay on the desk by his bed and turned off the television that was playing some sort of action move. “That's sick, Kag, really sick. We were just watching Die Hard! You know, I never hassle you when your friend are over so why don't you go away now.”
 
Kagome leaned back on her hips and frowned. “I'm not the one in the locked room with the older guy! Besides, since when were you and Kouga friends?” Her eyes fell to the floor where there were two empty beer bottles. Kagome's eyes widened as she reached out and quickly slapped her brother across the back of his head. “What the hell is that, Souta? So now not only are you smoking in the house, but you're drinking as well? That's great! Wait until mom hears this one!”
 
Souta followed her gaze then glared out the corner of his eye at the girl. “It's a bottle Kagome…never seen one before?” He scoffed and narrowed his gaze at her. “Oh, that's right; you're Kagome, I nearly forgot how perfect you were! God forbid my perfect sister ever laid a hand on a beer! My sister would never do anything like that!” He crossed his arms and leaned back against the headboard of his bed. “Don't give me that look, sis.”
 
Kagome stared at the boy before her like he was a stranger in her house. `When did I miss this? When did he gain such animosity towards me?' she shook her head slowly and sat down next to Souta. His words from earlier that day played over in her mind. Kagome stared into his troubled gray eyes in a mix of sorrow and regret. She leaned in and gently took Souta's hand in her own. “Souta…” A sob escaped her lips recalling his harsh words earlier that day. Slowly she realized that she hadn't been there like a sister should have been for her younger brother; she had been so engrossed in her own life….
 
Kagome lurched forward and wrapped her arms around her brother, nearly pulling him off balance and into her embrace. “Souta, I'm so sorry.” She began to cry as she pulled the startled boy even closer. “I'm so sorry; I should have been here for you! All these years, I've lived my own life without thinking of you, without watching you…now….” She choked back tears and placed her lips on the top of her brother's head. “I'm so sorry; I didn't see it…. I didn't see your pain. I tried so hard to move on from dad's death that I blocked everything else out, I blocked you out.” She muffled the last part into his black hair and tears continued to stream down her face.
 
Souta struggled at first at his sister's embrace. `This is sooo embarrassing!' he thought as he begged to whatever gods existed to keep Kouga in the bathroom for a few more minutes. Then he felt a drop of water fall onto his cheek, followed by another. `She's crying; my sister is crying for me?' He felt his own eyes fill with tears as he returned her hug. `Not since dad died…I haven't cried since then…' He heard her words and shook his head to retaliate. “Kagome…I could have…”
 
Kagome pulled away from her brother, her black mascara leaving rings under her brown eyes. “No, Souta…this is my fault. I'm your older sister; I should have been there for you when dad died. Instead I locked away everything…I left you to deal with this on your own. Souta, I will make it up to you, I promise.” She hugged her brother again and her eyes traveled to the empty bottles on the floor. “I will not lose you to that stuff Souta…not you. Dad died because he couldn't keep that out of his system…he died at the wheel in a drunken stupor! Don't follow in his footsteps Souta, you're better then this! There is nothing in that bottle for you…”
 
Souta whined and pulled back from his sister. Suddenly, he could not meet her eyes. He felt his tears begin to drip down his rosy cheeks as he tried to control his emotions. “Kagome…I'm sorry. I won't do it again…I just wanted to…”
 
“Look cool?” Kagome glared at her brother…the young boy who used to be her best friend, the child who she would never have turned her back on. Somewhere in the past four years though, the point when he would have needed his father the most, he lost his sister as well.
 
Kagome shook her head, her motherly instincts taking over. “Souta, I'm not going to tell mom but if I ever, and I mean ever, see you with this stuff in your room again, heaven help you because I will kill you!” She swallowed thickly and grabbed his shoulders. “Are you stupid to be drinking? You're fifteen, Souta!”
 
Souta whined again and pulled himself away from the girl, who was acting like an after school special of a bad sitcom. “I know that Kags…I swear that I never did this before…I just wanted to…”
 
Kagome stood from her spot and placed a hand out in front of her face. “I don't want to know. I really don't.” She shook her head and turned to walk from the room. “Open a window so that mom doesn't smell the smoke and get rid of those bottles.” She closed the door on the dumbfounded boy and came face to face with Kouga.
 
Kouga stared down at her as his eyes took in her beauty and smiled a toothy grin. Oh, that bet that he made with InuYasha was going to be over by tonight, he rationed as he looked over her attire. The girl was so good looking, he had been eyeing her for months. It figured that when he was going to make his move, however, that someone else showed up to try to take what was his. Well, that just wasn't going to happen. She was his, end of discussion. He just had to make that known.
 
Hamming it up, Kouga appealed to her raging hormones. “That was probably the nicest thing I think I've ever heard. You know, Kagome,” he reached out and laid a hand gently on her shoulder, his eyes misting over with a disgusting sweetness attached. “I really wish I had a sister like you.”
 
Kagome smiled into the boy's blue. There was something there, however, that spoke in volumes. She had seen it in InuYasha's eyes all day. It was some sort of lust, and it was being directed at her. She glanced away, wondering just what it was about today that made the guys crazy. Maybe it was a full moon. His eyes were boring into her and were filled with a burning hunger…something that was beginning to grate on her sanity.
 
Kagome licked her lips cautiously as she gently stepped around the demon. `He might be handsome,' she thought, `but he's dangerous. I don't need someone to tell me that.' She gave the man a small smile and carefully spoke. “That's really nice, Kouga, but I'm not the best of sisters. I just realized I nearly lost my little brother.”
 
Kagome flashed him a smile and turned to walk towards the kitchen. In that instant, Kouga's right hand snaked out and grabbed her wrist. Kagome paused in her step and turned nervously to look at the boy. `Between his gaze and InuYasha's mouth, I think I'd go with the latter.'
 
Kagome shivered involuntarily and gently tried to pull her hand from his grasp. Kouga only tightened his grasp on her limb. Her eyes widened as she bit on her lower lip and firmly demanded, “Let me go, Kouga.”
 
Kouga's grin widened as he stared at the frightened girl. “Kagome…don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. I just wanted…well, was wondering, if you would do me the honor of going out with me Friday night.”
 
Kagome gasped at the boy's proposal and her heart fluttered. `No guy has ever paid this much attention to me and now…now I have two dangerous guys coming on to me. Which is the lesser of the two evils?' With a defeated groan, she rationed that there wasn't a lesser evil. “I'm sorry Kouga, I have plans for Friday.”
 
Kouga's eyes darkened as he glared down at the girl in front of him. He had smelt the scent of that dog shit kid on her when she walked into Souta's room and it boiled his blood. `The only reason I'm hanging out with this runt is so that I can be close to Kagome, and now she's rejecting me for that InuYasha?'
 
With a low reverberating growl, Kouga tried to warn her. “Kagome…that InuYasha guy is no good. Hell, anyone can tell that from looking at him! He opens his mouth and it's like opening a gate to hell!” Kouga's tone was harsh, but laced with a devious jealousy. After a brief silence, he narrowed his eyes. “He's only going to hurt you.” Kouga then flashed her one of his best cocky smirks and his voice became tainted with a stunning bravado. “If you want a real man, Kagome, I'm your guy. Come on, I've always wanted you to go out with me. One night, Kagome…it's all I'm asking.”
 
Kagome stared dumbfounded at the boy, then firmly pulled her hand away from him. She was starting to feel very uncomfortable with the predator she saw peeping out from behind his eyes. How Rin dated this man was beyond her. “Kouga…I'm flattered, honest. But I don't know what makes you think that I'm going out with that rude boy, because I'm not. I'm hanging out with Sango on Friday, not that it's any of your business.”
 
Kagome slowly crossed her arms as a startling rationalization hit her. Anger began to swirl in her eyes as she cornered the wolf with her gaze. “Hey Kouga…just where did my fifteen year old brother get that alcohol?” Her jaw tightened as the truth was reflected in his eyes.
 
Kouga gave her a sly smile and shrugged his shoulders. “Does it mater? The punk probably found it. Maybe you should ask your mother.”
 
Kagome gasped and wheeled back and smacked the wolf demon across his face. “Bastard, my mother would never touch that stuff! You don't know her! So why don't you answer my question with the truth this time!” Kagome seethed with anger as she stared at the boy before her. `This has to be like the fifth time today I've smacked a guy; never before today have I had to hit anyone. Now it's like their lining up.'
 
Kouga turned his face with her slap and growled deeply. He turned back and raised his hand to his cheek and rubbed it gently. It took every inch of patience in his body to keep from striking her back. He managed a small frown. “Wow, Kagome, you sure can pack a punch.” He sighed once and rolled his eyes. `I guess I earned that one,' he thought with feigned remorse. He felt all the anger drain from his body as he stared into Kagome's chocolate colored eyes. She was worth this, and yes, he did screw up. “Look Kagome, I'm really sorry that this all happened. I admit that I brought the beer. I never thought it would be that bad of an issue…”
 
Kagome shook her head and yelled over the boy's apology, “That bad of an issue? Kouga, do you understand how my father died?” She shook her head again, “Did you even know my father died?”
 
Kouga raised an eyebrow and felt all emotion fall from his face. “I didn't know…I'm sorry.”
 
Kagome sighed once again. “He died when he managed to wrap his Porsche around a telephone pole; he was drunk.” She met the boy's eyes. “So I'm sure you can understand why I'm against you letting my fifteen year old brother drink.” She felt her anger flaring again as she leaned closer to him, “Besides for the fact that my brother is fifteen! Kouga…” Kagome moved to reveal the stairwell behind her and pointed towards the front door. “I think it's time that you leave.”
 
Kouga growled again, but in defeat. His eyes dropped from Kagome's as he turned slowly from the angry girl. “Let me say goodbye to Souta and I'll be on my way.” He turned back and stuck his head into the room with a dejected sigh. Souta was sitting on his bed staring out the open window. His mind seemed to be where else…some time else. “I'll see you tomorrow guy.”
 
Turning towards Kagome, Kouga flashed her a small smile. He threw his hands behind his head and tossed his hood up over his hair. Holding out a hand, he beckoned for Kagome to take it, which she did cautiously. He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it lightly. “I really am sorry Kagome, and I want to make it up to you. We'll figure out a good time to get together,” He gave her a wink and gently dropped her hand. “Bye Kagome.” He turned and walked down the steps and out of her house.
 
For a long moment, Kagome stood motionless in the stairwell. `Wow…this day is definitely an emotional rollercoaster,' she thought as she wiped her hand against her jeans.
 
Sticking her head into her brother's room , Kagome cleared her throat. “Souta, I'm going to start diner, and I'm going to make pasta. Join me tonight?”
 
The boy nodded but remained pensive.
 
Kagome gave a small smile and rested her head on the doorframe. “Souta…don't worry about it.” With a small sigh, she asked him quietly, “Do you want me to drive you to school tomorrow?”
 
Souta turned to look at his sister, a tiny smile playing on his lips. “That would be nice…”
 
Kagome's smile widened and she walked across the room and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I should have asked you sooner…I'm sorry.”
 
Souta looked up at his sister and bit his lip. “Kagome, don't worry about it. But…I…. well…” The boy looked crestfallen as he shifted nervously under his sister's glare. He suddenly had an overwhelming guilt eating away at him.
 
With an exasperated sigh, Souta grimaced and nervously confessed. “That new kid, InuYasha…” He noticed Kagome cringe at the name but waved off the gesture. “He seemed…interested in you. He asked a few questions about you to me and I kind of…” His cheeks blossomed in a vivid red for the first time in a year. “Look…he really likes you Kagome. At least it really seemed like he did. I kind of said some…not so flattering things…about you to him.” He noticed her hesitation and quickly added, “I was angry Kagome…I was angry at the world and honestly, I was angry at you for the way you had been ignoring me.” He grimaced and waited for his sister to begin her normal screaming session. Nothing happened. Souta turned and looked up at his sister who was…smiling?
 
Kagome reached down and ran her hand through the boy's hair and smiled despite the revelation. “I know what you said, Souta. I was standing a few feet behind you when you said it. I'm shocked you didn't see me.”
 
Tension swelled in the boy's heart as he gazed up at his sister flabbergasted. It took a moment for him to speak again. “Kagome…I didn't mean what I said…”
 
Kagome smiled and nodded once. “I know that Souta, I know. Don't worry about InuYasha, he's a jerk…just like Kouga.” She turned on her heels and walked from the room with a smile. `Maybe this day wasn't so bad after all,' she thought as she walked downstairs.
 
As Kagome reached the kitchen, she leaned against the cold wall as emotions once again raced through her body. `InuYasha…' She could feel butterflies lurching around her stomach at the thought of the arrogant jerk. `No…. no, he is such a pompous jerk! There is no way…not a single chance in hell that I would ever give him the time of day. I think I made that clear.' Her hand unconsciously grazed her lips recalling his enchanting kiss. `I don't believe…' She shook her head and closed her eyes. `I will not have feelings for such a conniving bastard!'
 
Kagome tried to busy herself about the kitchen and tried harder to ignore the burning feeling that began to overwhelm her stomach…a feeling of need…a feeling of lust.
 
*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*XX*X*X*X*