InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 25: Inuyasha vs. Kouga: The Duel to the Death ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Agh! * dodges daggers and arrows thrown at her by angry readers* Okay I'm sorry! I am more than sorry! I am…whatever more than sorry is! I am the epitome of sorry. You see, for those of you who do not already know, my computer at my parents' house got struck by lightning. I went there for the holidays, therefore, I had no computer. But now I am back at my apartment and ready to start cranking out some more chapters. Come on! You guys know that I am fairly decent with updating my stories! I would have updated otherwise! So as an apology, I wrote an extremely long chapter with some Kag/Inu fluff, okay? And thank you to all of my loyal reviewers!!!

I SWEAR TO UPDATE!

Chapter 25

Inuyasha growled and charged Kouga. Kagome flinched and looked away so her hair covered her eyes. She didn't want to watch, but she had to. She had to see what was going to happen. She lifted her eyes just in time to see Inuyasha swing his sword at Kouga. Kouga jumped on the blade and kicked Inuyasha in the face sending him flying to the ground. Kagome gasped.

"Inuyasha," she said under her breath. Inuyasha stared at Kouga and wiped away a drop of blood from the corner of his mouth. Kouga ran at him, but Inuyasha manage to dodge his attack by doing a back flip. Inuyasha charged Kouga again swinging his sword time after time only to have Kouga dodge every attack. `Damn!' Inuyasha thought. `He's fast!' Kouga finally jumped over Inuyasha. Both demons whirled around to face each other. Kouga ran fast at Inuyasha. He attacked Inuyasha with punches and kicks only to have Inuyasha dodge them until finally Kouga landed a punch to his face throwing Inuyasha to the ground again.

`Damnit!' Inuyasha thought. `I have to do something about his speed or I don't stand a chance!' Inuyasha jumped up just in time to avoid another one of Kouga's attacks. Suddenly, Inuyasha had an idea. He charged Kouga with all of his might and swung his sword at Kouga's knees.

"Whatcha swingin' at?" Kouga smirked as he jumped on Inuyasha's blade and again ran at him.

"SANKON TESSOU!!!" Inuyasha shouted and sliced through Kouga's knees with his claws just before Kouga reached him. Blood splattered on Inuyasha's sword as Kouga fell backward to the ground and crawled a safe distance away from Inuyasha. Kouga was undoubtedly in shock. He stared at his wounds. There were three bloody slashes across each knee. Inuyasha smiled and pointed his sword at him.

"Do you honestly think I would fall for the same trick twice?" Inuyasha asked. `That ought to slow him down,' Inuyasha thought as he stared at the wounds on Kouga's knees. Kouga jumped to his feet and growled at Inuyasha. Inuyasha growled back. Inuyasha could already tell that his injury had slowed him down, but he needed a real test. They both charged each other throwing punches and kicks. Kouga's injuries had definitely slowed him down. Every now and then, one would land a punch or kick to the other, but for the most part, they were even in their fighting abilities. They continued to fight like that for another half an hour.

Kagome and the others, meanwhile, watched in horror. The two had been going at it for a while now and they both were starting to get beat up pretty bad. `This isn't a battle for the best fighter,' Kagome thought. `This is a battle for who has the most endurance! They both are badly wounded and one of them will eventually collapse from exhaustion and loss of blood! This is crazy! No wonder this is called a duel to the death! If this continues, they both might die!' Tears started flowing down Kagome's face as she continued to watch the two attack each other.

Another half-hour passed, and Kouga and Inuyasha both were covered in blood from head to toe. Kagome was almost in a panic. She knew it wouldn't be long before one of them gave in. Finally, Kouga landed a mighty punch to Inuyasha's face sending him flying backward into a tree. Inuyasha hit the tree with a loud thud and collapsed in a heap to the ground. Kouga, panting heavily, made his way to Inuyasha.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted. "Inuyasha wake up!" Kagome started crying hysterically. "INUYASHA!!!" Kouga towered over Inuyasha and stared down at him. He withdrew a dagger and held it over Inuyasha, ready to finish the job.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha's mind was racing. He couldn't make anything out at first. It was just a mixture of colors and blurs. Slowly, he was able to make out a figure in the distance. The figure was calling his name and seemed to be running towards him. `It's a girl,' Inuyasha thought. He stared harder and found that it was Kagome. She continued to call his name. He tried to run towards her, but it was as if he couldn't reach her. `Kagome!' his mind shouted until something stepped in front of her. It was Kouga. He laughed mockingly as he grabbed Kagome and ran away. `No!' Inuyasha thought and no matter how fast he ran after her, he couldn't catch up. `No! Kagome, NO!'

"NOOOOOOO!" Inuyasha shouted as he came to reality, knocked the dagger from Kouga's hands, and punched him hard in the face sending Kouga flying to the edge of the cliff. Kouga lay there in a heap for a few seconds before finally trying to get up. Everyone gasped as they heard a cracking sound. Kouga looked up just in time. He had hit the edge of the cliff so hard that he had caused it to break away from the rest of the cliff. Kouga looked down and realized he would not survive the fall. He tried to get up, but as soon as he did, the piece completely broke away from the cliff sending Kouga plummeting towards the valley.

"Kouga!" Kagome shouted. He smiled at Kagome one last time before disappearing beyond the cliff. He thought for sure that he was going to die. He suddenly realized that he wasn't falling anymore, and that someone or something had grabbed his arm. Kouga looked up to find…Inuyasha? Inuyasha had jumped to the edge of the cliff and caught Kouga's arm just before he fell. Kouga gave him a puzzled look.

"Just shut-up you stupid wolf!" Inuyasha said as he pulled him back onto the cliff. Kagome heaved a sigh of relief…until she saw Inuyasha draw his sword and place it to Kouga's neck.

"Kouga! Inuyasha, no! Don't!" Kagome shouted. Inuyasha glanced up at her and frowned telling her to keep quiet. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Kouga had nearly killed them both and she was trying to save him? Inuyasha focused his attention back on Kouga.

"Listen, you stupid wolf! I never wanted to kill you in the first place! You got that?! I just wanted Kagome back and it seemed that this was the only way to get through that thickheaded skull of yours! Don't think this is some sort of sympathy because I don't give two shits about you….but if you give me Kagome, I will let you go!" Inuyasha said. Everyone looked at Inuyasha in shock including Kouga. "Don't think I won't take your life though!" Inuyasha pressed his sword harder against Kouga's neck so that he drew a little blood. Blood trickled down Kouga's neck.

Kouga realized Inuyasha was going to get Kagome whether he killed him right there or he complied and gave her to him. He thought about his tribe. They would have no leader and there was no one set to replace him. His tribe would be in utter chaos if he died and would probably starve to death. He decided it was better to live for his tribe.

"Fine," he said. "Kagome is yours!" Kouga motioned for Ginta and Hakkaku to let Kagome go. They released her and she ran towards Sango and the others.

"Kagomeeeee!" Shippo shouted as he jumped into her arms.

"Shippo!" she said as she caught him and squeezed him tight as the others greeted her. Inuyasha looked over his shoulder and watched Kagome greet the others. Miroku soon nodded towards Inuyasha letting him know Kagome was safe. Finally, he stood with Kouga, his sword still pressed to his neck.

"Don't ever think of bothering us again!" Inuyasha said and threw Kouga towards Ginta and Hakkaku. Kouga landed on the ground with a sickening thud at his servants' feet. Kouga struggled to sit up. He glared at Inuyasha.

"This is not over, dog shit! I will not give up on Kagome!" Kouga said growling at Inuyasha. "Kagome is mine!" Inuyasha scowled and growled back.

"You forget you ever met her!" Inuyasha commanded. "You give us any more trouble…and I will kill you!!! And that time…I won't hesitate on doing so!" With that, Ginta and Hakkaku picked up Kouga and began running back to their den. Inuyasha turned around to find Kagome happily greeting her friends. Inuyasha smiled but then flinched as the pain suddenly hit him. Inuyasha struggled to walk back to them using tessaiga as a crutch. He and Kagome made eye contact for a brief second before Inuyasha collapsed falling face first on the ground.

"INUYASHA!" Kagome screamed running over to him with the others shortly behind her. She dropped to her knees next to his motionless body. "Oh, Inuyasha, this is all my fault!" She buried her face into his blood soaked hair as she began crying uncontrollably. Sango and the others stood next to her. Sango rested a hand on her friend's shoulder.

"Kagome, we need to get him on safer ground," Miroku said suddenly. "We're too close to the wolves' den. For all we know, Kouga could be sending out reinforcements to take out Inuyasha." Kagome wiped the tears from her eyes and nodded. She stood up. They all helped hoist Inuyasha onto Kirara's back and then began traveling away from the wolves' den as fast as they could. They soon arrived at a small cave. Sango gripped her boomerang and walked to the entrance.

"Miroku! Come with me! Let's go check it out and make sure it is safe!" Miroku nodded and followed her into the cave. Kagome watched them disappear into the cave, but then smiled when she heard Sango warning Miroku not to grope her followed by the sound of a slap. The two returned shortly, but Miroku had a particularly large red hand print on the side of his face.

"It's all clear," he said. "There's nothing in there. We can rest here for the night." Kagome smiled weakly and nodded. Inuyasha lay on his stomach on Kirara's back with his arms and legs flung to either side of her. Kagome rested a hand on Inuyasha's back as she and the others walked into the cave. Miroku and Myouga pulled Inuyasha off of Kirara's back and laid him gently on the floor. Kagome kneeled next to him. She gently rubbed her hand across his forehead brushing his bangs back. Everyone stood around unsure of what to say. Myouga walked slowly over to Kagome. Kagome looked up at him. Myouga bowed slightly.

"Excuse me, Lady Kagome, but, if I may, I saw some small trees just outside of this cave that would be perfect for firewood," Myouga said patting the hatchet tucked in his belt. Kagome smiled and nodded her head. "We need to start preparing to stay in for the night. Anything anyone needs to do or get outside of this cave had better do it. It shouldn't be long before Kouga sends out his men." Everyone nodded. Kagome stood.

"In that case I had better go down to the river to fetch some water. Inuyasha's injuries need to be tended to," Kagome said as she reached into her yellow backpack and pulled out a bowl.

"Wait!" Sango said. "You need someone to go with you!" Miroku walked over and stood next to Sango.

"She's right," Miroku said. "They will be after you. You need someone to go with you."

"You both go with her," Myouga said. The others turned around to look at Myouga. He stood next to Inuyasha with his hands clasped behind his back. "Take Kirara too. You will need all of the help you can get if you happen to run into any wolf demons."

"What about Inuyasha?" Sango asked.

"They will not come after him," Myouga said. "They will go after Kagome first and only after they have seized her will they come after Inuyasha."

"How do you know this?" Miroku asked. Myouga sighed.

"I happen to be a demon," Myouga began, "though my people are not demons of war. We are the weaker of the demons. I've learned through living with Inuyasha's family, however, the ways of the more powerful demons…those that participate frequently in battles. They attempt to weaken their enemy before they strike."

"But Inuyasha is weak!" Kagome blurted out. "He's not even conscious!" Myouga smiled and looked up at Kagome.

"Is he now?" he said. Sango and Myouga exchanged glances. They were beginning to catch on to what Myouga was talking about.

"Physically, Inuyasha is hurt, but is he really weak?" Myouga asked as he walked towards Kagome. "You see, my Lady, there are some things far worse than death, things that can damage someone for eternity if harmed…a weak spot so to speak." Myouga stopped in front of Kagome and stared at her. "When Inuyasha was fighting, he hadn't even realized his own physical condition until the battle was completely over…when he knew you were safe." Kagome gasped. Myouga smiled and turned around walking back towards Inuyasha. "Once he knew you were out of harms way, the pain hit him with an intensity so great that it made him fall to the ground unconscious. Forgive me my lady if my next words are intrusive and bold, but did Master Inuyasha promise you anything?"

"Your words are rather bold…" Kagome began.

"Forgive me my Lady. It was not my place," Myouga said.

"But I will answer you anyway," she said. "He promised to never let anything happen to me. He promised to protect me." Myouga smiled and looked down at Inuyasha.

"Tell me, my lady, if you were asked to describe a dog's personality, what would you say?" Myouga asked as he looked up at Kagome. Kagome looked at Miroku and Sango for their input.

"Uh…I don't know…" Kagome replied.

"Protective," Sango said.

"Caring," Miroku said.

"Loyal," Kagome said.

"While all of the above are true, Kagome hit the nail on the head…loyal. Dogs are very loyal to their owners, and will protect and care for them by whatever means necessary," Myouga said.

"I guess that's true," Kagome said. "I mean I know some dogs that would die for their owners because they care about them so much." Kagome immediately began to blush once she realized what she had just said. Myouga and the others smiled.

"Inuyasha may be a demon, but he is a dog demon, therefore he has no choice but to carry some of their traits. Inuyasha made a promise to you, my Lady, and you can bet that he will keep it…even if it means his death," Myouga said. Myouga walked over to Kagome and stood in front of her. "You…are Inuyasha's weak spot." Kagome gasped and looked away. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I think I have changed my mind," Kagome said. She looked at Sango. "Sango, would you and Miroku mind fetching me some water to clean Inuyasha's wounds with? I…I…don't want to leave his side." Everyone exchanged glances with huge smiles.

"I'd love to Kagome!" Sango said happily as she took the bowl out of her friend's hands. She hugged Kagome. "We'll be back soon!"

"Take Shippo with you," Kagome said. Kagome knelt next to Shippo. "Shippo, I want you to go with Miroku and Sango. If anything happens to you guys while ya'll are away, run back here as fast as you can to let us know, okay?" Shippo nodded and scurried away to follow Miroku and Sango.

"I'll leave Kirara here," Sango said. "Kirara, if anything happens while we are gone, the first thing I want you to do is get Kagome out of here, okay?" Kirara nodded.

Sango waved good-bye as she walked out of the cave leaving Kirara, Myouga, Kagome, and Inuyasha behind.

"Well, I guess I had better get started on chopping down that wood," Myouga said as he walked out the front of the cave. Kagome knelt next to Inuyasha and stared at him.

`Why would he do that?' she thought. `Is he protecting me just because he swore he would or is there something more to it? But even if he were just keeping to his promise, why would he have even promised that in the first place?' Kagome gently brushed her hand across his cheek.

`My, what a strong, masculine face he has,' she thought. `Even through all of the dirt and blood splattered on his cheeks, he is still so handsome.' She brushed away a stray leaf from his hair. `What is this feeling I have? Why is my heart pounding so hard? I have never felt this way before. Inuyasha, why do you do what you do for me? Why do you protect me so? I know I am your best friend, but please tell me if it's more than that! I need to know! Why did you do that? Why did you risk your life for me, why?'

Her thoughts were soon interrupted by Myouga walking back into the cave with a load of firewood.

"Well, that was quick!" Kagome said.

"Demon!" Myouga said with a smile. Kagome smiled back. She watched a Myouga soon built a warm fire. Kagome sat in between Inuyasha and the fire to make sure Inuyasha could feel it, and then scooted over closer to Myouga. Kagome stared blankly into the fire.

"If I may ask, my Lady, what's on your mind?" Myouga asked suddenly, startling Kagome.

"Huh? What? Me? Oh, nothing!" Kagome said quickly. Myouga raised one eyebrow.

"Could you have lied any worse?" Myouga said with a laugh. Kagome kind of laughed and then looked at him.

"Guess not," she said. "I'm just really confused about…well, promise not to say anything?" Myouga nodded.

"Your words are safe with me," Myouga said. Kagome smiled.

"This whole thing with Inuyasha," Kagome said looking at Inuyasha to make sure he wasn't awake. "I'm just confused."

"Well, what are you confused about?" Myouga asked.

"About, well, why did he promise to protect me?" Kagome said. "Why does he risk his life for me so many times?"

"You are Master Inuyasha's best friend Kagome. I already explained to you a dog demon's loyalty," Myouga said.

"I know," Kagome said. "But it just seems as though…well…" Kagome sighed. "It just scares me Myouga. I don't want to lose him. It's almost as if it is a daily thing for him to fight for me and rescue me all the time. One day, he might not…"

A single tear fell down Kagome's cheek. Myouga looked at her. `Those two remind me so much of Inuyasha's parents,' Myouga thought. `So much in love, but afraid to admit it.'

"Don't worry yourself over my Master's well being, my Lady," Myouga said patting her on the back. "Master Inuyasha has seen much rougher times. If he can make it through those times as an inexperienced child without a home or family, he make it through these times now." Kagome smiled and nodded.

"How loyal are dog demons?" Kagome asked. Myouga smiled realizing Kagome might be asking about dog demons' loyalty in another area.

"They are very loyal. Their word is as good as a written contract, and they never stray from their mates. They will not even look at another female in a desirable way if they are mated to another and they hate divorce and will only do under special circumstances," Myouga said.

"Special circumstances? Like what?" Kagome asked.

"Like if their mate is not loyal to them or married them to achieve power and never really loved them. Stuff like that," Myouga said.

"Myouga, if you don't mind me asking, what happened with Inuyasha's dad and his first wife?" Kagome asked. Myouga looked at her. He was surprised she had asked.

"Well, Inuyasha's father met Sesshomaru's mother at a wealthy demon party. Only higher-class demons and one of their servants were allowed to attend. The two were soon introduced. She was a beautiful woman, but had a heart of stone. She fooled everyone she came into contact with, including Inuyasha's father. He thought she was absolutely perfect. She came from one of the wealthier families of the town and basically made her living off of screwing men over. Needless to say she entranced Inuyasha's father and the two were soon married. The marriage had only lasted about a year when Inuyasha's father finally saw her for who she truly was. She became disinterested and bored with men rather easily and soon her wandering eyes led her to a lord of a nearby village. I really don't think she ever loved him either. I think she did it more for the excitement. Anyway, she soon began being cruel to Inuyasha's father and demanding things of him she knew he was incapable of doing. She spent thousands of dollars a month on various things and would complain about important meetings he had to attend. Excuse me when I say this, but she was a first class bratty bitch! Inuyasha's father soon became suspicious and sent me out to follow her. My family was poor and there was no way she would notice me. She thought anything that had less money than she did was some type of disgusting pest. One time she even raised the taxes on the poor without Inuyasha's father's permission. Anyway, I soon found her cheating on my master and reported it to him with pictures. He didn't love her anymore and I'm not quite sure if he ever did so it was rather easy for him to divorce her," Myouga said with a sigh.

"Wow!" Kagome said. "Sounds like a terrible woman!"

"Oh yes, and she hated humans! Boy, did she hate humans!" Myouga said. "Inuyasha's father was compassionate and loving towards any and all creatures. That's what made him such a great ruler. He was not afraid to put his foot down, but he also wasn't too proud help someone in need…even if they were human." Myouga laughed. "I say he wasn't proud anyway! He wasn't too proud until he met Inuyasha's mother."

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked curiously.

"Inuyasha's mother was one of the most powerful mikos I've ever seen," Myouga began. "She was very modest about her powers so not too many people knew how powerful she really was. One day, Inuyasha's father became very ill so he had me call on a priestess. She was a beautiful woman with long silky black hair and her eyes held such care and love. She had a very kind soul…one of the kindest I have ever seen. She cared for Inuyasha's father for a while. Every day she would come and tend to Inuyasha's father's needs. He was soon well and she didn't come around any more. The two of them, however, had made a connection. She had stayed passed her time many times just to sit and talk to Inuyasha's father and keep him company. She stayed on his mind after he was well. Days passed and he soon got the courage to go talk to her and thank her for everything she had. He brought her flowers as a sign of his gratitude and the two soon made an incredible connection. They were best friends for a long time. They spent almost every day together until one day. She would even come help nurture the injured in some of his battles. It was a perfect match. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he admitted his love for her and asked her to marry him. Funny thing is, he only admitted it when he thought he would never see her again. Her family had decided to move their shrine to another location, and rather than lose her forever, he asked her to stay with him and marry him." Kagome sighed.

"What a sweet story!" Kagome said. "That's so cute! I bet Inuyasha's parents were quite the lovebirds!"

"Oh yes!" Myouga said. He looked into the fire thoughtfully. "Even until their dying day." Kagome looked into the fire.

"I hope I find a love like that someday," Kagome said. "One that is true and lasts even after death." Myouga smiled.

"I'm sure you will my Lady…if you haven't already," Myouga said saying that last part under his breath.

"What was that last part?" Kagome asked curiously.

"Oh, nothing! Just talking to myself! I said this fire is good and ready!" Myouga said. Kagome looked at him suspiciously, but chose to ignore it. She looked over at Inuyasha. It was getting late and cold. She crawled over to all of their satchels and began unfolding everyone's sleeping bag.

"Here my lady," Myouga said. "Let me help." Kagome smiled at Myouga as she unrolled a couple of sleeping bags.

"It's okay, Myouga," Kagome said. "I'll do this. I would appreciate it, however, if you might could get us just a little more wood. I want to make sure we have plenty during the night. I am going to put up a barrier as soon as everyone is back. There is no telling when Kouga's tribesmen may come." Myouga nodded.

"Yes, my Lady," Myouga said bowing and heading out the front of the cave. Kagome dusted off the last of the sleeping bags. She held an extra one in her hand for Inuyasha though he never really used it. She walked over to him and covered him with the blanket.

"Please wake up soon," she said softly. "You're starting to scare me." She allowed a single tear to fall down her cheek. It landed with a gentle splat on Inuyasha's face causing his eyelids to flutter open. Kagome didn't seem to notice however. She was too busy tucking the blanket around him and picking stray leaves and pine needles off of him. He watched her without saying a word. He smiled from deep within as he watched her care for him. `She is so beautiful,' Inuyasha thought. Kagome had soon made her way to his bangs. Inuyasha closed his eyes quickly so that she wouldn't see he was awake. He kept his eyes cracked so that he could still see her. She rubbed her hands gently over his head tucking away any stray hairs.

"Just you and me right now, Inuyasha" she said. She sighed. "I'm sorry I am so dang irresponsible. You wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for me." He could hear her start to cry. "I'm so sorry. Please wake up. Please. I'll do anything. Just wake up."

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Inuyasha said gently as he opened his eyes. Kagome looked at him with tear filled eyes. She flung herself on him hugging him while being mindful of his wounds.

"Oh, Inuyasha!" she exclaimed. "You're okay. Thank God you're okay!" Inuyasha wrapped his arms around Kagome's waist.

"I'm fine," he said. She lifted herself off of him and stared into his eyes. "It's you who I am thankful is okay." Kagome smiled through her tears.

She looked up to see Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Myouga walking in. Myouga let the firewood fall to the ground in a heap as Shippo came running towards Kagome.

"Kagome! Kagome!" he shouted. "Look what I've got!" He jumped into her arms and showed her a long string of fish.

"Wow, Shippo! Great job! Those will be great for dinner!" Kagome said as Shippo smiled proudly.

"Sango and Miroku have more," he said. He soon looked at Inuyasha. "Inuyasha, you're awake!" Shippo jumped onto Inuyasha's stomach and hugged him. Inuyasha flinched when the kitsune landed on him, but then looked at Kagome in confusion. She smiled.

"I'm so glad you're awake!" Shippo said. Inuyasha wanted to knock the kitsune off of his stomach, but instead lifted him off and gently sat him on the ground. Kagome smiled happily.

"Yeah, I'm okay, kid," Inuyasha said. Sango, Miroku, Myouga, and Kirara soon were by Inuyasha's side all saying things at once.

"Oh, I'm so happy you're awake!" Sango exclaimed.

"You gave us a scare there man!" Miroku said.

"Is there anything I can get you master Inuyasha?" Myouga asked.

"How do you feel?" Sango said.

"Come look at the fish I caught, Inuyasha!" Shippo shouted.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Hold on a second! I can't answer you all at one time! I'm fine! No, I don't need anything!" Inuyasha shouted sitting up a little. Kagome laid a hand on his shoulder before he could say anything else.

"Why don't you guys start cooking the meal, I'll doctor Inuyasha's wounds, and by the time we're both done, we can eat and talk all you want. How's that sound?" Kagome said with a smile. Everyone nodded and scurried off to make dinner. Inuyasha stared at Kagome.

"What?" she said.

"Nothing," he said turning his head quickly.

"Why don't we go a little farther back into the cave, Inuyasha? I may have to undress you and you may want a little privacy. Do you think you are up to it?" she asked. Inuyasha looked at her like she had gone nuts.

"Undress me?!!!" he shouted. Everyone in the cave stopped what they were doing to look at the couple. Both of them turned beet red.

"Uh hehe," Kagome said smiling as she began dragging Inuyasha into the back of the cave.

"Ow! Not so rough!" he said.

"You say something like that again and I will be more rough with you than anyone else ever has!" she said. Inuyasha had to fight back a sexual mental picture from that statement. Kagome walked back up front and retrieved her medical supplies and the bowl of water from Sango. Kagome knelt next to Inuyasha. She began taking off his fire rat robe. Inuyasha gulped. Kagome sensed his tension.

"Look do you want doctoring or not?" she asked with her hands on her hips. Inuyasha said nothing and looked away. Soon, she had taken off his robe and white shirt. She noticed his wounds had already started to heal. She sat there for a moment admiring his incredibly built chest. She blushed when Inuyasha caught her staring.

`What's her problem?' he thought. `Why is she staring at me like that? Do I look funny or something? Is one of my wounds really bad or something?' Kagome dipped a cloth in the warm water. She began rubbing the cloth across Inuyasha's chest carefully cleaning each wound.

"The water's warm," Inuyasha said. Kagome nodded.

"Sango said she got the water from a nearby hot spring and placed it by the fire as soon as she came in to keep it warm. She figured it would be nicer for you and that it would allow me to clean your wounds better," Inuyasha nodded.

"Tell her I said thank you," Inuyasha said looking towards the cave ceiling. Kagome stopped cleaning for a minute.

"I will," she said looking at him as she continued her cleaning. `He is growing more and more each day,' she thought. `I remember when he was arrogant, selfish, and rude. He has changed so much since I have known him. He's much nicer, takes care of me, and is actually considerate of others.'

`Why does she do this for me?' Inuyasha thought as he stared at her. `I mean she is always there cleaning my wounds after every battle and being nice to me. She is so unselfish. This has got to be tiresome for her. Kagome would give her right arm to help someone else. She's kind and beautiful and caring and helpful and fun and compassionate and considerate of everyone she is around and even kind of sexy when she gets mad at me.' Inuyasha had to stifle a laugh on that last one. `I'm tired of denying it! Kagome is the most incredible person I've ever met. She is absolutely wonderful in every way. I might tell her that one day…if I ever have the courage.' Just then, Kagome caught Inuyasha staring at her. They both blushed and then looked the other way.

"Agh!" Inuyasha flinched as Kagome doctored one of his wounds.

"Oh, sorry!" she said. "Did I hurt you? I'm so sorry!"

"Hey! It's okay!" he said. "By the way…I never really thanked you for doctoring me up all the time." Kagome stopped what she was doing for a split second to look at him.

"No problem," she said as she continued to clean his wounds. "It's the least I can do."

"The least you can do for what?" he said lifting his head slightly to look at her.

"For you saving my life all of the time," she said pretending she was extremely interested in cleaning his wounds. "If it hadn't been for you, I would have been dead a long time ago." Inuyasha shuddered at the thought of losing her. "You think you can sit up? I need to get to the wounds on your back." Inuyasha nodded his head and sat up. Kagome crawled around behind him and began cleaning the wounds on his back.

"You don't owe me anything for doing that," he said.

"For doing what?" she asked.

"For rescuing you all the time," he said. Kagome's breath caught in her throat.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because I do it because I want to do it," he said.

"Sometimes I wish you didn't," she said. He looked over his shoulder at her.

"What?" he said puzzled.

"Like today," she said. "You should have just left me with Kouga." Inuyasha's jealousy began to boil.

"Oh, I should have, should I?" he asked her suspiciously as he turned around to eye her.

"What?" she asked.

"Kagome, did something happen between you two?" he asked.

"WHAT???" she said. "How dare you say such a thing! I barely even know Kouga!"

"Well you didn't look like when I found you two all cuddled up!" he said. Kagome's temper flared.

"We were not cuddled up!" she said angrily. "He just asked me something that dumbfounded me!"

"Well, what did he ask you?" he said.

"Like it's any of your business!" she said. "But if you would really like to know, he asked me to marry him!" She folded her arms and looked away from him. Inuyasha's mouth dropped open and his body began to panic.

"Wh-wh-what'd you tell him?" Inuyasha asked. Kagome shot daggers at him.

"I can't believe you!" she shouted at him.

"What?" he said.

"That you would even think that I would consider…UGH!!!" she said throwing her hands up. "Now turn around and let me finish cleaning your wounds so that I can get out of here more quickly!!! I can't believe you!!!"

"No!" Inuyasha said. "I'm not allowing you to do anything to me until I get some answers here!" Kagome glared at him. She knew he knew that she wouldn't leave until she finished cleaning his wounds and was taking advantage of it. She folded her arms and looked at him.

"Fine then," she said. "But I just want you to know that you are really pissing me off!"

"You never told me what you told him," he said. Kagome growled.

"What do you think I told him? I told him yes!" she said.

"YOU DID???" Inuyasha said astonished.

"No you idiot! I told him no! There, are you happy now?" she said. Inuyasha sat back. `She told him no,' he thought. `Thank God. I knew she had better judgment than that.'

"Oh…okay," Inuyasha said.

"I can't believe that you would even think that I would say yes," she said.

"Well, I didn't but I just wanted to make sure," he said.

"Why do you care anyway?" she said. "It's not like it affects you!"

"YES IT DOES!" Inuyasha protested.

"How?" Kagome asked.

"Because you're my best friend and I don't want to lose you to some jerk that doesn't deserve you!" Inuyasha shouted before he knew what he was saying. Kagome's face softened and Inuyasha blushed. He looked away from her.

"Sorry," Kagome said softly. "I-I didn't know you cared."

"Well, I do," Inuyasha finally admitted. "You're my best friend and I've already told you I'm not going to let anything happen to you…and that includes getting married off to jerks that don't deserve you." Kagome giggled. She crawled over to Inuyasha and stared at him.

"Thanks Inuyasha," she said hugging him. Inuyasha sat there in shock for a couple of seconds before wrapping his arms around her waist and hugging her back. Kagome sat back.

"Don't worry," she said. "Nothing happened between us, I have no feelings for him, and he is not going to be marrying me." Inuyasha smiled.

"Good," he said. "He doesn't deserve you!"

Kagome laughed again, flattered that Inuyasha cared so much.

"So do my boyfriends and fiancés have to have your approval now?" she said jokingly.

"Yes!" he said with a smile. Kagome laughed.

"Turn around and let me finish with your wounds!" she said as she laughed. Inuyasha smiled and turned around for her to finish with his wounds. `Well, even if I did beat around the bush with how I really feel, at least she's not pissed anymore,' Inuyasha thought with a smile. Kagome finished cleaning Inuyasha's wounds on his back and set the cloth down next to the bowl. She reached for her bandages and began bandaging him. She sat behind him on her knees so that she could better see what she was doing. She held the bandage in her left hand and slipped it between Inuyasha's side and left arm. She brought the bandage around the front of him and, grabbing the bandage with her right hand wrapped the bandage around to his back. She continued to do this unaware at how seductive she was being. She breathed softly onto Inuyasha's neck and shoulders as her hair hung sexily over her left shoulder leaving her neck bare to Inuyasha. Her breasts were pressed against his back and her hands hit all the right spots as she continued to bandage him. Inuyasha thought he was about to go nuts. He wanted to kiss her neck and take her right there. He wanted to taste her lips and know what it feels like to be inside of her. He wanted to see every naked curve of her body. Inuyasha was becoming aroused…too aroused. Without even realizing it, he began to release a purr meant for seducing a mate. Kagome didn't know why, but she suddenly felt herself becoming aroused. She stared down at Inuyasha's rippling muscles. `That must be why,' she thought. `Get all thoughts out of your head, Kagome,' she thought. She crawled around to the front and tried to tie the bandage as best she could. She was having some difficulty tying the bandage so she straddled Inuyasha so she could have a better position for finishing up his bandaging. Inuyasha thought he was going to explode. `She's straddling me!' he thought. `In a skirt! Kagome, you are going to end up getting yourself raped one day!' Kagome soon finished bandaging and sat up.

"There!" she said. "All done!" She stared at Inuyasha for second. He had a weird look on his face. "Are you okay?"

"Uh,who? Me? Oh, yeah fine!" he said quickly. He wanted to tell her to get off of him, but he didn't want her to get off of him and he didn't want to do something she didn't want to do and he was so confused. Kagome wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Thanks again for all you do for me," Kagome whispered in his ear as she rubbed it.

`You're not helping any!' he thought as he prevented himself from ripping off her clothes. Instead he focused on what she had said and hugged her back.

"No, thank you, Kagome," he said as he pushed her back to look at her. The two stared at one another, both searching each other's eyes for any type of emotion. They both received the same emotion…love. Words didn't need to be spoken. They both realized how they felt for one another.

"Inuyasha," Kagome said in a soft and somewhat desperate voice that turned Inuyasha on.

"Kagome," Inuyasha said in his deep voice with his seductive growling that sent Kagome's hormones reeling. Kagome cupped her hands around Inuyasha's face, then slid them slowly down his neck, out to his shoulders, back into his chest, over his abs, and down to the rim of his pants. Inuyasha tilted his head back enjoying the sensation her touch was giving him. He rubbed the tip of his claws gently from the top of her back down either side of her spine, around to her hips, and down her thighs until he reached her knees. Both of them started their ascent back up each other's bodies when…

"Hey guys! Dinner's ready!" Miroku shouted as he rounded the corner of the cave to find his two friends in a very intimate position. Inuyasha and Kagome blushed heavily, but made no move. Miroku sighed. "You know, guys, if you just wanted to be alone, all you had to do was say something. It's no problem by me!" Inuyasha and Kagome looked at each other.

"PLEASE???" Inuyasha begged Kagome through gritted teeth.

"Kill him!" she said flatly. Miroku stepped back when he heard her.

"Now, Kagome, Inuyasha, let's not be irrational," Miroku said as Inuyasha lifted Kagome off of him. He set her down gently on the ground and began to take off after Miroku, who was already running away, when he stopped, turned around, and took Kagome's right hand in his.

"My lady," he said bowing as if to excuse himself and kissed the top of her hand gently. He smiled and then ran after Miroku. Kagome giggled. Even though she knew Inuyasha was half joking with the whole kissing of the hand routine, she couldn't help but blush. Her heart fluttered as she held her hand to heart. `Why is my heart racing?' she thought, as she realized that she was beginning to consider Inuyasha as much more than a friend.

A/N: TADA! Okay I promise to start updating on a regular basis now! Next chapter will be up tomorrow! If there were any grammatical mistakes, please excuse them! I didn't have time to read over it. I just wanted to post it tonight. I'll read over it tomorrow though!