InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Offering ❯ ZOMG ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I know, I’m back, believe it or not I truly have returned! I’m very sorry for the long wait, but if you are still reading this then you are obviously extremely interested and I thank you for that.

I’ve been working a lot, been sick a lot, and I’ve had a total death amount in my family reach double digits in the last three years. I’m very sorry and if “Meaghan consoer” is still reading I apologize for lashing out at you. I understand that you probably can’t think of a different thing to say to each person, and more than likely think we should feel honored to have a review a’tall. Though the word “review” is loosely used.

******Chapter 6******

Kagome set to pacing the large room. She’d been here for what felt like hours, and she was desperately tired. In fact, she was so tired she considered climbing into the rather large bed, and who cared about the consequences? Only the horror of earlier and the fear she felt for her small charge kept her from doing just that. Kyoko had mentioned that others felt resentment toward Sesshoumaru, and felt that his having an heir so soon was horrible.

She couldn’t very well trust that crazed man’s word, but she was unable to rest because of it. What if someone managed to come into this room, kill her and the babe whilst she slept? No, she would remain awake until Sesshoumaru came back. Probably with someone to show her where her room was and to take charge of his son.

A memory suddenly surfaced, it seem like days ago instead of just hours. Sesshoumaru had told her he’d find her in “four hour’s time.” That seemed a lifetime ago. How long had it been? two, three, ten hours? She couldn’t tell anymore, and was nearly to the point of not caring.

A yawn caught her attention and she realized Sesshoumaru’s son had made the noise. She echoed the sound and made up her mind. She would go to sleep but only after he had.

Gingerly she picked the boy up and set him on the large bed, close to the center. He protested mildly but was soon dosing quietly. The sight warmed her heart and the ache she often felt grew in her chest. It was an ache she was familiar with, the longing for her own baby, one she could hold in her arms whenever she wanted, one she’d feed herself, and love always. A baby that would cry “ma ma!” and reach it’s small hands out to her, for her, and only her.

Climbing into bed she fantasized about that day, the day when she’d hold her child in her arms. Recently, Inuyasha’s face had disappeared from such fantasies, she wondered at the loss, but she supposed that he would one day return to them. He had to love her, he would love her, one day for just herself, and not for the woman she’d been before this life.

******

Sesshoumaru opened the door to his room. The wards responded to his entrance, but ebbed when they recognized him. Kagome had been aloud entrance into this room only because of his will, all the magic in his home and around it responded directly to him, and when he’d decided that Kagome would be aloud in, but not out, the wards had responded accordingly.

He looked about the room and for a moment he feared he’d made some miscalculation. Kagome was not to be let out of the room, but he didn’t notice her immediately. Then his eyes fell upon his own bed, and the woman sleeping comfortably in it.

It was something he hadn’t realized would mean anything to him. Now he realized he had wanted this for quiet some time now, wanted to see her surrounded by his things, her sleeping in his bed. He’d allowed no other female the privilege. His bed would be shared only by his mate, everyone else was just for amusement.

Silently he walked to the side of his bed. Kagome’s arm was over his son’s stomach, but despite her obvious state of sleep she didn’t look restful at all. In fact she looked as though the slightest sound would wake her. It was then that he realized around her and the child was a small force field, created by her unconscious mind to protect her and the sleeping baby.

It was strange. He’d seen her sleeping many times, but never did she erect a barrier. Could it have been the fear for his child that had brought it about? Or was she terrified to sleep in his home, away from everyone who had protected her? He hoped silently that it was the former reason, if she was too uncomfortable in his home things would be made just that much more difficult.

He removed the box he’d been carrying with him and opened it, her barrier shattered easily under it’s silent pressure. He could’ve broken the barrier himself, but any attempt on his part would have either hurt her or at the very least woken her up. Sleep was what she needed now, and he would allow her it tonight. Tomorrow, however, he wasn’t certain he’d leave her to sleep.

Reaching out he moved a few strands of her hair away from her face. She mumbled incoherently and turned slightly toward his touch. The small gesture was nearly his undoing, nearly what drove him over the edge and demanded he take this woman as his mate. Now.

Inuyasha was a fool. He chose to live in the past, thinking of and desiring a woman whom he had found, even then, a distasteful creature. Kagome and Kikyo were nothing alike, though they shared the same soul, they couldn’t be more different. Kagome was alive and pure, filled with the emotions he could not express. Kikyo had always been restrained, bitter even, and distant with her heart.

Both the disgusting hanyou Naraku and Inuyasha had wanted the Kikyo woman, but the real, living woman they pushed away. He had worried initially that Naraku would try to take Kagome, keep her for himself. Fortunately he had not and Kagome would soon be bound to him. Forever.

He bent down and kissed her forehead, she looked vulnerable sleeping thusly in his very large bed. He wondered if wherever she was from, they had such things? He had been to the world where men were pale as the deepest winter snows, and had realized that their beds were something to bear in mind. He needed no extra room in his home, he wanted for nothing, and had eventually commissioned for this large bed to be built in his room.

His son stirred slightly and Sesshoumaru looked down at the child. Until that very moment he hadn’t realized that the child meant more to him than a simple heir. Something that would keep too many from protesting his choice of mate, so long as his heir was full-blood, what matter the other children he had?

But as his child’s eyes met his he knew that his son was more than just his heir. His son was his flesh and blood, born of him and a woman whom he’d cared nothing for, but would now and forever be a part of his life. The mistakes of his father, he remembered them well; Inutaisho had decided on a similar path, having a woman he cared nothing for and begetting an heir.

Only, Inutaisho hadn’t thought to fall in love with the human when Sesshoumaru was conceived. Instead he had just given up caring for a great deal in the world and had thought to ensure that his line continued. 300 years later a small human had literally, fallen at his feet.

Inutaisho had been surveying his lands and taking the human’s tributes from the villages that resided within his territory. As he was leaving one village a small, miko woman-child had fallen from a low hanging branch in a tree, landing on Inutaisho. The shock of this unexpected development had been so great that Inutaisho fell to the ground with the small woman atop him.

“Oh no!” she’d cried backing away. “My Lord! Forgive me please! I lost my balance and couldn’t...”

Inutaisho had sat up, intending to scream at the woman, but had stopped upon sight of her. It was said that she had been the most beautiful woman born. Inutaisho instantly saw her for just that.

Shaking his head to clear it Inutaisho had demanded the girl’s name and the reason for her being in a tree she obviously couldn’t stay put in.

“My Lord. It is said that youkai do not like mikos, and kill as many as they can find. My family ordered me into this tree and told me to keep my aura hidden. I hadn’t expected you to pass right under me. I would’ve kept my balance a bit longer but one of your men hit the tree accidentally and it sent me forward...” She rambled on quickly. She was terrified that the handsome lord would kill her and believed the rumor that the Lord could smell a lie.

“Silence.” Inutaisho had held his hand up. “I kill no innocents. You have done no wrong and did not intentionally fall upon my person. I would not kill a miko just because she was one, if she did not attempt to harm me or my escort.”

At first none had suspected the truth of the matter, that Inutaisho had actually been infatuated with the girl. His strange level of mercy was already legendary. It was even said that the Lord hated bloodshed and avoided it at all times.

No one knew until one day not two years later the woman had become engaged to another human male. She had never seen the youkai after that day, but he had seen her. He had watched her and had decided when the engagement had begun that he could not relinquish her to another.

So, when the woman and her entourage left the village, to meet the man she was to wed in another village he had attacked them and demanded the woman come with him. When it was clear that the humans were no match for the great Lord the small human had made a deal. She would come with Inutaisho willingly on the condition that he let her friends live. He had agreed to that and more, giving her leave to return to her village for one week every month.

It was the man she’d been engaged to that killed her the first time. And the fact that she had gone back to her village during the final week of her pregnancy that had killed his father. It was the spurn for the first child born that had turned Sesshoumaru against his father.

Sesshoumaru would make no such mistakes. Gently, so as not to disturb the woman he lifted his son off of the bed. Using a similar technique he had seen the woman use earlier that day he shifted his son to his side and simultaneously swung his hair out of the child’s reach. His son giggled happily and continued to try and reach for his father’s hair.

What a strange little creature his son was. It still baffled him to look at the child, and know that this small creature had been born because of him. Glancing back at his soon-to-be-mate to ensure that she was still soundly sleeping he left his room and carried his child to the nursery.

The two women he kept there for night duty stood as he entered and he handed his son to one of them. His son protested mildly, but accepted the change of charge easily enough. “All who enter are to be turned away. If they persist you are to kill them.” he ordered as he left. Tomorrow he would learn the names of those who might consider harming his son, for now though he had to find something to do in order to fill up time. Youkai slept a lot less frequently than humans. He only slept every night as a way to pass the time.

Sleeping in his own bed though, with the woman he craved so close, would prove quite a trial. She needed sleep, humans needed that, and after the day she’d had he wouldn’t be surprised if she slept longer than what most humans did daily. If he decided to return to his room, sleep was something she would not get.

******

Okay! It took me nearly four full days to get this thing written. So don’t expect a dozen updates all of a sudden just because I have a single chapter written, kay?