InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Girl's Best Friend ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Nope, still don't own dog-boy nor the basic storyline! More's the pity for me…::sighs::
 
A/N: Thanks to all the readers stopping by for a look, especially those who have written reviews! I'm blushing!
 
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Three: A Girl's Best Friend
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kaede's remaining eye widened until it nearly popped. She smiled, very softly and very knowingly, as she admired the light. Kagome slowly raised her head to meet the priestess' eye.
 
“Ummm…Kaede-sama…what the hell is this?
 
“That, my child, is the Shikon no Tama. Ye are most definitely the Priestess of the Jewel. I knew it the moment I sensed the power surge; that the Jewel was amongst us once more.” She smiled right into Kagome's wondering eyes, and then changed her tone, becoming very brisk. “Ye will need to keep your wits and weapons about ye, as demons will awaken to the Jewel's presence. Ye are armed with a bow and sword, and ye wear armour such as only the wealthiest lords can afford. Ye are more than equipped to be the Protector of the Jewel…but it appears that all this was unsuspected?”
 
Kagome had dropped her eyes back to the soft glow. “You could say that, Kaede-sama, you could definitely say that.”
 
The first stars were winking at each other overhead as Kagome tried to explain who she was, where she was from, how she came by her armour and weapons, and what, exactly, a Celestial Bodyguard was and why the Emperor apparently needed one. She had just come to the part about the well, when Kaede held up her hand for silence. She listened intently, and then motioned Kagome to come around to her side of the fire, the young woman obeying instantly. Kagome, listening more carefully than she ever had in her life, became conscious of a slow building of pressure, of rushing wind swirling outside and pulling violently at the woven mat covering the door, sending spatters from the pot's lip flaring into the fire's embers. Kaede murmured, “It appears the first demon has arrived to test your mettle, Kagome-sama.” Scarcely had the words left her lips, when the wind rose to an unearthly howl.
 
“Pitiful humans! Give me the Jewel!
 
Kagome flew out the door, a step ahead of the old priestess.
 
What the freakin' hell…!
What now, woman?
Omigod.
…I'll second that.
 
Seriously doubting her sanity, Kagome watched as a huge caterpillar blasted through the roofline of a house on the outskirts of the village, sending shingles and timbers flying. The creature twisted in mid-air, and Kagome realized it had the head and torso of a woman. In the next instant, she knew, absolutely, that all that Kaede had said was true, and it was now up to her to stop this creature. She wondered, briefly, what Lord Kogashu would have had to say about this whole situation. Laughed his ass off, probably.
 
“It's after me, Kaede-sama. I'll take care of it…”
 
“Nay, Kagome-sama! Ye know not its strength!”
 
“Don't worry about me---save the villagers! I'll hold it off as long as possible...!”
 
“Oh, not into the forest---no good will come of this, I fear!”
 
She bolted for the hillside and the concealing underbrush, as the caterpillar whizzed overhead and attacked another house, screaming wildly for its prey.
 
“Where is it? Where is the Jewel?!
 
Deep in the said forest, in a small clearing now brightly illuminated by moonshine, a soft red glow began to pulse against the bark of an ancient tree. It was faltering at first, as if timidly seeking approval, then slowly began to strengthen.
 
Kagome tore through the thick undergrowth, her adrenaline-charged heart thundering in her ears. “Damn…where's that clearing? If I could make a stand there…or, maybe I could just wake up from this nightmare?! Yeah, I'd take that option…dammit, I could use a little help here!”
 
Close by, another heartbeat began accelerating through the chest of the silver-haired figure pinned to the Goshinboku, mimicking that of the dark-haired young woman racing at flank speed towards the sentinel tree. A clawed hand abruptly flexed, then dug deeply into the bark. Fiery amber eyes opened, seeing the clearing for the first time in fifty years.
 
“…I live? Why didn't the arrow…Kikyo??!!!”
 
Kagome crashed into the clearing at a dead run, gasping, wrenching open her haori . She skidded to a very undignified splay-legged stop, when a cool, distinctly snarky voice asked,
 
“Hey, Kikyo…what're you running from, bitch?”
 
She favoured him with a startled smile, and scampered to the side of the tree. “Hey, you're awake…I'm not Kikyo…Dammit, gotta ditch this stuff somewhere…” Moving very quickly, she pulled the quiver off her back, and stripped off the silver silk top and kidskin trousers. She made sure the katana was seated firmly at her hip, grabbed the quiver, and ran out in front of him, pulling the leather thongs off the hilt. She braced her legs, flipped her hair upside down to tie it out of her eyes, and came up…smiling. Her scent wafted up to him; delicate, floral, dewy. His eyes widened.
 
“That's not Kikyo's scent…who the hell are you?!”
 
Kagome straightened, swung her quiver to her shoulder, and bounded lightly up the tangled roots and vines to stand directly in front of him, hands fisted on hips. She cocked her head and grinned cheekily at him, her grey eyes twinkling. “Too bad you're tied up right now…I could use a hand!” He was too open-mouthed with astonishment to reply, never mind react when she reached out and shook his claw. “I'm Kagome; pleased to meet `cha!”
 
A half-dozen retorts died on his lips when she smiled again, turned her back on him, and started muttering to herself. He took the opportunity to look her over. Medium height, slender waist. Finely but firmly muscled shoulders and far better legs than she deserved. Impressive body armour, a top-notch sword…a silver-trimmed bow? What bastard gave her that?
 
He dragged his attention back to her voice. “…height advantage? Nope, cancelled out by uneven footing…” She jumped down, and took up a `ready' stance, facing away from him. “Okay, tree at back, open field of fire in front…bring it on!” She pulled a dozen arrows from her quiver and planted them into the ground at her feet, then sank to one knee, watching the forest intently. He noticed that she was trembling slightly, fear lightly touching her scent.
 
The half-demon found his voice. “Oi, bitch, what in the hell do you think you're doing?”
 
She didn't turn around. “Lord Kogashu always taught me to choose the battlefield, not have it chosen for me. I'm doing the best with what I've got…damn! Incoming!!”
 
Lord Kogashu? Who the hell was that?
 
The trees were suddenly crested by a vision from hell. He looked up and saw an enraged female caterpillar-youkai boring in on the woman in front of him, who held her ground until the very last second, coolly firing arrows into the creature's bulk. Cat-like, she gracefully threw herself out of the way of its strike, and drew her katana. He could see twin spirals of red and green vapour coil down its length, and a chill ran down his spine. “Huh? That's no blade for a human….” As if in answer, he saw a round object glowing within the girl's left shoulder. “What…?! That's the Shikon no Tama…how did she get it?
 
Kagome was thankfully unaware of her audience discovering her “secret”. She was far too busy avoiding the caterpillar's strikes. It was ridiculously huge, and ridiculously agile, but she was able to land more than a few blows as she dodged and weaved, the black blood flying. She managed to slice off a couple of the creature's many limbs, but was sent sprawling when the tail lashed out. She somersaulted to her feet, coming up in an attack stance, her sword tip lined up with the demoness' eye. She waited unwavering, until it was committed to its attack, and she was able to slash down, hard, on its back, just where the human-like torso met the armoured body as she rolled out of the way.
 
“Keh! You can't expect to defeat it, wench…you're just a weak human!”
 
Kagome dodged another strike. “Thanks, you're a real confidence-builder, asshole!” On the next pass, she was able to swipe off another set of limbs. “Hey, buddy, if you have any advice or suggestions, I'd appreciate a little help here! Don't be shy, just yell it out! All suggestions gratefully accepted….Aaaiiiyeee!”
 
A vicious blow knocked her nearly across the clearing. Her limp body rolled over and over, and finally slid to a stop, dark hair veiling her face. She laid there, panting, her mind spiraling down into blackness.
 
His heartbeat stumbled and slowed. Straining against the arrow in his chest, he craned his neck to see her still form. He glanced down at his own chest, comprehension quickly dawning. “Is her life…connected to mine?” Quickly, he looked back at the girl, as his heartbeat slowed again. “Hey, Ki - Kagome! Wake up! Don't you die on me, you stupid bitch!”
 
From her position some yards away, Kagome managed a low chuckle. “Awwww, you sure know how to sweet-talk a girl…”
 
“Do you want to live?!”
 
Her eyes snapped open. “Yes…”
 
“Then get your sorry ass up here, now!”
 
Kagome wobbled to her feet, using her sword as a prop, sweating with the effort of staying upright. She dragged herself across the clearing, stumbling towards the tree. He watched in horror as a shadow snaked across her, the youkai doubling up on itself to dive straight down on her. She barely saved herself by throwing herself flat on her back, the blade pointing straight up. The youkai impaled itself, but not before the vicious teeth tore into Kagome's shoulder, ripping a fearful shriek of pain from the girl's throat. Blood dripping from its jaws and its torso, the youkai roared triumphantly, briefly showing the pink glow of the Jewel in its maw…before swallowing its prize, and beginning to transform
 
“Move it, bitch! Get up here now!!”
 
The harsh voice jarred the bleeding figure out of its shocked stillness. With great effort, Kagome crawled up the jumbled roots and vines, dragging her sword. She staggered, lost her footing, and collapsed bodily against him. The scent of her blood overwhelmed him, but not enough to fail to notice the lightning approach of the transformed youkai.
 
“Shit! Here it comes again!” The dark-haired girl suddenly twisted, and struck out blindly, carving a gash across the creature's face and chest. It screamed harshly, and swung wide of the tree. Kagome braced herself against the half-demon's legs, breathing ragged, head down. “Dammit, move Kagome! Pull out the arrow now! I'll protect you…”
 
On the far edge of the clearing, Kaede, backed up by most of the male villagers, arrived precisely as these words left his lips. Stunned, she only found her voice as Kagome crawled up the vines pinioning him, reaching for the shaft.
 
“No, don't, Kagome-sama! Release him not!!”
 
Grey eyes searched intense gold. The die was cast; she grabbed the arrow with both hands, and gave a mighty yank. It didn't budge. She smiled grimly, the effort causing more blood to pulse out of her wound. “Whew! You must've really pissed off whoever did this…!”
 
“Kagome-sama! Look out!!”
 
Too late for any defensive response, the horrifically transformed youkai struck Kagome a powerful glancing blow, lifting her slightly and slamming her into the half-demon's body. She cried out, and began to slip down, her eyes rolling back. As the warm skin of her thigh brushed his claws, he grabbed her flesh and dug in. Shock snapped her upright, her eyes wide. “Dammit, pull it out…I'll protect you, I swear” he snarled into her face, trying to keep her both conscious and focussed. The youkai tightened its coils, crushing her against him and the unyielding bulk of the tree. Her scent washed over him; their eyes locked. She grabbed for the arrow, inhaling through her teeth.
 
“I…want…to…live!” Screaming, Kagome seized the shaft, and tore it out of the tree and his body in one movement. It flared pink and turned to dust. Time paused, their heartbeats thundered together, and the vines fell away as his whole being pulsed. The youkai pulled itself away from the power surging against its coils, and Kagome fell against his chest. He dumped her, none to gently, at the foot of the tree, then stood to face the enraged youkai.
 
“C'mon ya ugly bitch…wanna play with me?” he smirked, cracking his claws. He threw an attack to distract it, then went for the underbelly. He didn't notice Kagome struggle to her knees, draw her bow and hold the arrow for just a split second longer, until the tip flamed. She waited, brows knitted with effort, until she could get a clear shot. The power-charged arrow blazed across the clearing, trailing sparks, embedding itself in the youkai's throat. A horrible, gurgling scream split the air, and the creature collapsed forward, imploding.
 
A pinkish gleam lit the ground, as the Jewel wobbled its way across the ground towards the injured girl. She dove awkwardly, her fingers curling around it, and rolled back onto her knees, facing the silver-haired demon now stalking her. He smirked, cracking his claws, and slinked forward. “I'll have that Jewel now, if you don't mind. Don't make me hurt you any more than I have to…”
 
Kagome raised her head, and snarled “I thought you were going to protect me, asshole!” In a moment of inspiration, she shoved the Jewel down the front of her breastplate. Using both hands, she pointed her sword directly at him, the vapours roiling down its length. He snorted derisively, and pounced at her, claws extended. He was completely taken by surprise when the sword pulsed brilliant silver…and found himself airborne…until his skull cracked against a tree trunk.
 
Kagome fell backwards, knocked over by both the sword's recoil and the power it had just unleashed. Stunned, she looked from the blade in her hand to the half-demon, and back again. She could swear the blade was…snickering?
 
“I was afraid of this…” Kaede shook her head, her lips compressed into a thin line. She pulled a string of prayer beads out of her top and murmured an incantation. The necklace vanished from her hands, and reappeared around the stunned half-demon's neck, glowing briefly as it seated itself. Growling, he sat up, tearing at the collar.
 
“What the…what the hell's this?!”
 
The villagers took the opportunity to block his view of Kagome, murmuring and pointing their scythes and staffs at him. She struggled to her feet using the sword for leverage, and pushed her way through the protective screen. She paused, studying his reaction, as he tugged and pulled at the necklace, bewilderment obvious.
 
“Got a problem, creep?”
 
“Only that you're still alive, bitch!”
 
Kaede's urgent voice reached her. “Kagome-sama! Use the command and he cannot harm ye!”
 
“Command? What command?” She twisted slightly to look at the old miko.
 
“The Word of Power, lady. Hurry!”
 
“I forgot my secret decoder ring…give me something to work with here!”
 
Inuyasha grimly flexed his claws, and began stalking across the clearing. Kagome narrowed her eyes, and abruptly asked, “I didn't catch what variety of demon you are…”
 
He smirked arrogantly. “'Cause I didn't mention it. I'm an inu-youkai, actually a hanyou inu-youkai, to be precise. What do you want to know for? The cause of death they'll carve on your tombstone?”
 
“Dog, eh?” Kagome chortled suddenly, and swung her sword up to rest against her undamaged shoulder. Her eyes took on a crafty glint. “Heel, boy!” Inuyasha paused, tensing. Nothing happened. He smirked most unpleasantly, and kept coming towards her. She smiled back just as unpleasantly, and roared, “SIT, boy!!!”
 
The beads turned to leaden weights, and slammed him face-first into the ground, stars exploding inside his head. Groaning, he raised his eyes, only to find himself looking into a pair of very amused grey ones. “Oooh, this could be fun…”
 
His claw snaked towards her ankle, but she was quicker. The sword blade drove into the ground a hairsbreadth from his wrist. “Don't try anything, dog-boy, or I swear I'll carve your cute little ears off and shove them up your ass,” she hissed, her mouth right next to said ear. He gulped, and withdrew his claws. She jerked the sword out of the ground, freeing his sleeve, and he carefully backed up. Once out of immediate range of the blade, and its gimlet-eyed owner, he sat back on his heels and eyed her with newfound respect. This was definitely not going to be easy.
 
Kagome regarded him with fiery eyes for a moment, until he looked away, tacitly acknowledging her conquest. Drawing a shaking breath, she partly turned away, sheathing her sword, then swung back. “What's your name, dog-boy?” she demanded, her voice harsh and grating.
 
“Inuyasha,” he snarled back, abruptly and uncomfortably aware that he may have neatly exchanged one kind of restraint for another.
 
“Kagome-sama, please return with us to the village. Your wound requires attention.”
 
Kaede's voice was brisk and business-like, as if battles like this were an everyday occurrence in her life. Kagome passed through the ranks of open-mouthed villagers, and gathered her discarded clothing. The pair of women began to move away, and then Kagome paused.
 
“C'mon, Inuyasha. I'm not leaving you running around loose out here.”
 
He snarled. Her chin came up, implied threat plainly visible in her flashing eyes. He looked away, muttering, “Coming, bitch-face.” He hardly heard the command, but suddenly his head exploded again, and there were small pebbles and the metallic taste of blood in his mouth.
 
Groggily, he saw dainty booted feet stomping towards him, and then a tight voice snarling in his ear, “Watch your mouth, dog-boy, or I'll wash it out with dirt a few more times. Now, get up and make like a nice hanyou…” He staggered to his feet, and she propelled him forward with a none-too-friendly hand planted firmly between his shoulder blades towards the village.