InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Of Dogs & Demons ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I may own the sword, but that's about it! The InuCru and the basic storyline are all the property of Rumiko Takahashi!
 
A/N: In response to a query, I'm not going to rewrite the whole anime series (186 episodes? Oi…), but I am going to poach a few of the best ones, especially to introduce the major players. Then fasten your seatbelts, `cause things are gonna get bumpy…!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Six: Of Dogs & Demons
 
Present day
 
Kagome backed her motorcycle out of the shed, slicks crunching over the gravel. She engaged the kickstand, and went back inside to retrieve her gloves and helmet from the workbench. Lost in thought, she didn't notice the amber-eyed figure glowering at her from the doorway, until she nearly bumped into him.
 
“Damn, Inuyasha! Don't you have anything better to do than give me heart failure?!” She swiped at him with her helmet, which he easily dodged.
 
“Oi, wench, where do you think you're going, and what the hell is that?!”
 
That is a motorcycle, and I am going to see somebody about the supplies we need for our search. I won't be gone very long. My mother will feed you ramen if you let her grope your ears…What?”
 
The hanyou was circling the motorcycle on all fours, sniffing, paying particular attention to the tires.
 
“Don't you dare even think of lifting your leg!!” Kagome yelled, taking a run at him. He grinned up at her, before straightening and easily jumping out of her path.
 
“I was just admiring it, wench…interesting decoration.” His tone changed, hardened. “I'm coming with you.”
 
She stared up at him in disbelief. “Are you out of your furry little mind? I'm going to have a tough enough time explaining myself, without having you along. I mean, your outfit would blend right in, but not the rest of you!” He crossed his arms and got that petulant look he was starting to put on every time in the last week she wanted to come home. They'd already collected six shards of the Jewel, but he was impatient for more. She started to bristle, but had a second thought… maybe a change in tactics? Hmmm…might be worth a try.
 
She stepped up to him, and laid her hands on his arms, looking beseechingly into his eyes while smiling gently. He was startled, to say the least, and relaxed his stance slightly. She lifted a fingertip to his face, and tenderly traced his cheekbone. He sucked in a sharp breath, dropping his arms to loosely circle her waist.
 
“I was hoping, Inuyasha, that you'd agree to guard my mother and Sota while I'm gone,” she murmured, drawing a line down the side of his neck. “It worries me when they're here all alone with no one to protect them…I promise I'll hurry back…and make it up to you…” She stood on tiptoe and lightly brushed his cheek with her lips, then breathed into his neck. “Will you stay here and look after them for me?”
 
His voice was delightfully husky. “O-Okay, Kagome. Just don't be too long…or I might have to come looking for you…”
 
Sensing her imminent victory, she slid a hand up to his ear, and rubbed it seductively. His eyes nearly crossed as they closed. She rubbed a few moments longer, then let her hand fall to her side, and his eyes snapped open, although a little unfocussed, she was pleased to note. Stepping away from his arms, she pulled on her helmet, and slid into the saddle. Firing the ignition, she blew him a kiss through her visor, and rolled off.
 
As she warmed up both the engine and the tires by weaving slowly back and forth across the shrine's access road, she glanced over her shoulder. He was still rooted to the spot. She tossed off a salute, and accelerated out the gates, chuckling. It sure didn't take much to distract that hanyou. File that information away for future reference.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Several miles closer to her destination, and Kagome still didn't really know what she was going to say when she arrived. She had only half a mind on the traffic, which she knew was dangerous at the best of times, but she was really puzzling over how to approach Lord Sessaki.
 
“Can I have a ton or so of field rations, sir? How about a complete field hospital? Got any spare fully automatic assault rifles loaded with anti-demon silver bullets? Yeah, right.” She made a face, mimicking the courtier's cool voice, “`and what does the Celestial Bodyguard require these for, Higurashi?' Well, sir, I've got this fascinating side job that involves escaping death at the hands of demons on a daily basis, and has everything to do with saving the world.”
 
Hmph. Maybe I ought to try Lord Kogashu on for size, instead. At least he has a sense of humour!
 
She was still debating the relative merits of either courtier, when she turned into the familiar courtyard of the Imperial Palace. Feeling mischievous, she parked in the slot marked “Yashita”. She'd be able to hear his bellow on the other side of the building when he arrived to find it already occupied.
 
Carrying her helmet and gloves in her hand, Kagome strode briskly along the dim corridor on the ground floor leading to the Armoury. Lord Kogashu's office was down here; she'd decided to tackle him first. But first, she paused at the long dark polished wood counter that closed off the public access to the Armoury itself.
 
She loved taking in the view of this high-ceilinged room, pale walls stacked with an incredible array of weapons, both ancient and modern. She also loved the smell, a mix of honed metal, gunpowder, leather and lubricating oil. The guardsmen had access to anything this room had to offer, depending on what level of ceremonial or daily duty they had been assigned. Senior courtiers also had privileges, as they had to appear with the correct equipment for particular court festivals.
 
As she perused the displayed weaponry, she caught movement out of the corner of her eye. Curious, she leaned over the counter to get a better look, and started to grin. Somebody with a brownish-red topknot was staring intently into a polished wooden cabinet, muttering under his breath. Somebody she knew that just might do her a favour.
 
“Hey, Sensei Shimano! Who left you in charge of the candy store?”
 
He banged his head on the lip of the cabinet. Grimacing, he backed out, rubbing the crown of his head, the ever-present lollipop stick gripped between his teeth. “Higurashi, that better not be you…”
 
“Large as life and twice as exciting! Have you missed me?”
 
He cracked a grin at her. “Still as much of a pain in the neck as ever, I see. What can I do for you, O Celestial Bodyguard?”
 
“Could you check the court circular for me? I need to know the dates when I have to show up in all my glory for the next little while, so I can fit it into my schedule.” Kagome congratulated herself on her quick thinking.
 
Sensei Shimano cocked a skeptical eyebrow at her. She held her breath.
 
He was the youngest of the six instructors who had ridden herd on her class, and was by far the most fun. He always thought up the trickiest practice undercover operations they had to execute, and he teased the life out of grouchy Sensei Yashita with an endless array of elaborate practical jokes. He'd made her day many a time just by creatively getting a rise out of the older instructor.
 
Returning his attention to the computer hidden in the cabinet, he shifted the lollipop to the other side of his mouth. “According to this, you're free as a bird until the New Moon festival, when you have to be here for three days in a row. I'll email the dates to you. Anything else?”
 
“Umm, is there any authorization on record for me to be supplied with more arrows?”
 
He looked at her oddly, then briefly tapped on the keyboard. Kagome waited, breathless, wondering how she would answer if he asked her why she needed them. Because I'm a klutz, and I tripped and broke most of them. No, that probably wasn't going to fly.
 
Sensei Shimano suddenly leaned forward, staring intently into the cabinet, eyes wide.
 
Uh-oh. This can't be good.
 
He looked her straight in the eye. “You have authorization from the highest levels for anything you want, Higurashi. You can ask for a freakin' fighter jet, and they'll get it for you.”
 
She couldn't believe her ears. “W-Who signed the authorization?”
 
“The Emperor himself, co-signed by Lords Sessaki and Kogashu. You've got friends in high places, girl.” He removed the lollipop, and leered broadly. “So, whaddya want first?!”
 
Grinning, Kagome pulled a piece of paper out of her jacket pocket. He groaned.
 
After typing in her wish list, Sensei Shimano motioned her to come behind the counter to help gather the items. She was up and over in a flash, eager to see inside the sacred precincts. He paused, working the lollipop around in his mouth, as something on the screen caught his eye. “Wait, Higurashi, there's an additional note on your file…now, this is interesting! It says here that you are “authorized to bring your parade armour in for repair at any time, no questions asked”. I wonder why…hey, there's something else, too… “issue new combat armour as needed”. He looked at her, curiosity really getting the better of him. “What the heck are you up to? Moonlighting as a yakuza's bodyguard?”
 
Kagome held up her hand, smirking. “It says, no questions asked, doesn't it?”
 
He chortled in delight. “I know, I know…ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies…”
 
He kept up a constant litany of jokes, stories and one-liners as they pulled all the things she wanted. Large dispensary field pack of medical supplies to keep at “base”, plus a platoon-size case to take along. Four large cases of field rations, dried. Six dozen arrows, plus two dozen hunting bolts. Finally, a bulky package with the chrysanthemum seal embossed on it.
 
She opened it, and withdrew an incredible piece of body armour. It was the latest in technological combat gear, that she knew, but its styling was definitely up-to-the-century Sengoku Jidai. That meant somebody must know what she was up to. Oh shit.
 
Sensei Shimano eyed it with interest. “That's pretty cool stuff. Just about impervious to any known man-made weapon, whether it's ballistic, gas or liquid, and they worked in a few top-secret bits, too. I've seen the specs…”
 
Kagome slid it back, not wanting to think about the identity of her mysterious benefactor, and handed it over to him to be delivered with the other supplies.
 
She hopped up onto the counter and slid across its gleaming width. She was expecting to land gracefully, but managed to catch her heel and landed in a confused heap…at the feet of Lord Kogashu.
 
He crossed his arms and mock-glared down at her. She squeaked, and bounced upright, scooting backwards the prescribed five paces, and made a deep bow, mostly to hide her burning cheeks. He bowed back, a slow grin lighting his dark features.
 
“Sensei Yashita is in his usual foul mood, and I wouldn't want to be the owner of a flashy red motorcycle currently occupying his parking space…”
 
“Oh, sh-! Thank you, Lord Kogashu! Thanks, Sensei Shimano! Excuse me, sirs, gotta fly…!
 
Sensei Shimano yelled at her retreating back, “I'll have your stuff at the shrine around dinner time today!” She waved to him as she skittered around the corner at the far end of the corridor, boots scrabbling for grip on the polished floor.
 
Lord Kogashu sighed, and leaned on the counter, sniffing gently after her scent. Shimano caught his eye, and grinned. “She still hasn't met us, has she?”
 
“Nope. But she already has mutt-face's scent all over her, dammit.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome shot out of the ancient doorway, barely saluting the guardsmen as she flew by. Fumbling with her helmet, she had just slid onto the saddle…when she was well and thoroughly busted.
 
A silver race-tuned motorcycle blocked her in, and its helmeted rider showed no sign of letting her out of the purloined spot. She gulped, and flipping her visor up, executed an awkward, twisting bow. The silver bike rolled up alongside her, and the rider cut the ignition, pulling off his helmet. Sensei Yashita certainly didn't look very impressed, but at least he wasn't cursing…yet. Maybe she'd get away with only a mild scorching. She wondered, for at least the millionth time, how could somebody that good-looking be so spectacularly cranky? Maybe he wasn't getting any lately. Well, he couldn't make her do push-ups any more, so what on earth was she afraid of?
 
“Higurashi…”
 
“Please excuse me, Sensei Yashita. I had urgent business in the Armoury, and this was the only spot available. I didn't mean to take as long as I did…I'm sorry for any inconvenience to you, sir.” She bobbed another quick bow, and went to make good on her escape, rolling her bike backwards while the engine warmed up. A gloved hand dropped onto hers, and she looked up, eyes wide.
 
His golden-brown eyes met hers, and he smiled gently. She was too startled to react when he gently squeezed her hand, and said, “…looks like you forgot your flak vest. I'll have it sent to the shrine for you.”
 
“My flak…oh, right! Sensei Shimano can add it to the stuff I've requisitioned…it's being delivered today…” she babbled, desperately wishing she could sound a little more sophisticated. He always made her feel giddy, even when he was yelling at her to keep up on a twenty-mile route march. If she could have kept her mind off his amazing body, it probably would have helped. The leathers he was currently poured into certainly weren't doing a thing to keep her focussed on getting out of range of his formidable temper. But, he didn't seem particularly upset at finding her poaching on his preserve, so she was emboldened to say, “Excuse me, Sensei Yashita, sir, but I have another appointment to get to…”
 
He let her hand go, seemingly with regret, and smiled again. “It's good to see you, Higurashi. Don't be a stranger, okay?”
 
Her chinstrap stopped her jaw from hitting from the gas tank, but she managed a quick nod of acknowledgement before opening the throttle.
 
Inuyasha watched her go, instinct and restraint warring inside him. A large part of him was screaming to go after his mate and not let her out of his sight or out of reach of his arms, and the other, smaller part, was reminding him to stay put and follow the plan.
 
Fuck the plan.
 
He pulled his helmet back on, started his bike, and took off after her. He knew that his brother would be alerted as to his departure, and when the cell phone shrilled in his headset, he turned it off. He was just going to enjoy a ride with his girl, nothing more…
 
He caught up with her just as she pulled onto the expressway on-ramp. He hung back a bit, until she had merged into traffic, and then slid into position a couple of car-lengths back. After a few miles, he moved up until only one car separated them. Then he noticed something that made his hackles go up.
 
The fart-can-equipped boy-racer right behind her was crowding her, coming dangerously close to her rear tire. He could see the two idiots in the car laughing, egging each other on. Well, that just wouldn't do, would it? Accelerating down the white line, he overtook the car, and cutting very close to its expensive custom-made quarter panel, slid into place beside her. Falling back slightly, glaring at the occupants, he forced the car to give up some space.
 
Kagome saw a narrow shadow out of her peripheral vision, and shoulder-checked…to see a familiar silver bike and its rider, flipping his cable-thick dark braid back over his shoulder as he straightened in his saddle, and came even with her. How the hell…? He nodded to her, then fell back into position even with her rear tire. He was escorting her? This was too weird.
 
They cruised along companionably for the next few miles, Kagome sneaking frequent glances over her shoulder to check if he was still there. He noticed, smiling into his helmet. The view from back here was particularly good. He'd have to make a point of pulling by the shop to compliment the tailor on the job he'd done on Kagome's riding leathers. They nicely accentuated her curves. Mind you, he'd much rather have her on the same bike as himself, her body pressed against his, her arms around his waist…you get into accidents thinking like that, he told himself firmly. Five hundred years is a long time…but it wasn't for much longer.
 
He followed her down the off-ramp, and pulled even with her, waving good-bye, before peeling off down a side street a few blocks from the shrine. He knew a good vantage point to watch her arrive home…
 
Kagome watched him go, a good deal of mixed emotions racing insanely around her head, then dragged her attention back to the traffic. Damn! She'd had plenty of interesting dreams about him when she was a cadet, but he'd just seemed so…so unattainable. First time back at the Academy after graduation, and here he was, flirting with her. Did a week make so much difference? She sighed. And then there was Inuyasha…dog-boy had his own rough charms, but Sensei Yashita…now there was a man! She wondered, for the half-millionth time, what his hair looked like out of that braid…
 
Inuyasha bounded from rooftop to rooftop, approaching the shrine from the most heavily-wooded side, watching for a flash of red that might indicate where his younger self was lurking. He gained the trees, gliding like a shadow until he was positioned downwind of the house and shed, where he could observe the access road leading from the gates.
 
Kagome slowed, allowing the motorcycle to grumble its way up the incline, until she killed the motor at the doorway. She swung off, and pushed the heavy bike into the shed. She emerged a few moments later, helmet- and glove-less, unzipping her red jacket. He got quite the eyeful of her ass when she bent over and shook out her hair, before snapping upright to let it fall down her back.
 
He was so taken with her, that he didn't notice his younger self emerge from the house, almost until he arrived at her side. A growl rose in Inuyasha's throat when the pup put a possessive arm around Kagome's shoulders, and walked her towards the house. Then he shook his head. Idiot. It was himself he was growling at.
 
Taking a calmer view of things, he scanned himself-as-pup, clad in the fire-rat fur robe his father had given to him. No Tetsusaiga. Inuyasha grinned. That meant the pup and Kagome were about to meet Sesshomaru in full bastard mode. Chortling gleefully, he retraced his path back to his bike. Turning on his cell phone, he dialed Sesshomaru's office. If he had to suffer without his mate, his brother was going to be frequently reminded of his younger self's less-than-stellar behaviour, too.