InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Balancing (Lemon) ( Chapter 56 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: What can I say…my kids are out of school for the summer, and work is interfering with my fanfic writing, so at this point my `weekly' updates are moving to about once every two weeks. We're in the final `year' of the storyline, and I'm finding it tough to keep all the sub-plot bunnies corralled so that I can end the fic in a reasonable number of chapters. Lots of twists yet to come from the ones who are still on the loose, though!
 
Lemon alert! Yes, Miroku finally gets a chance to prove that he's good with more than just his hands…underage or the easily shocked should shut down about a third of the way through…bit of lemon fluff at the end, too.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 56: Balancing
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Hello, Kaede-sama!” Kagome smiled at the old miko as she pushed the matting aside and stepped into the hut. A russet furball squealed and dove at her, but at the last possible second, Shippo veered off and transformed into a ball that bounced off the side of the hut with an `ouch!' rather than a `boing'. She fielded him on the rebound, and he `popped' back into shape in her arms, hugging her tightly and peppering her with a rapid-fire fusillade of questions.
 
“Are you okay? That Muso was creepy! Where's dog-breath? How come Miroku and Sango aren't here? Are you going home?” It appeared that the kit didn't even bother drawing breath; she chuckled and gave him a squeeze.
 
“Yes. Extremely creepy. Gone to Totosai's forge. They're just behind me. Yes.”
 
“Ye are unharmed?” Kaede's eye was sharp as she took in the dried smear on the front of Kagome's cuirass.
 
The younger miko looked down, shifted Shippo up onto her shoulder and scraped at the unusual decoration with her thumbnail. “I'm fine; this is Inuyasha's blood, from when Muso's scorpion tail went through him.”
 
“What happened to that evil wretch?”
 
“He was reabsorbed by Naraku; something about his body still requiring Onigumo to be the `glue' that holds all the demons together…until he gets his hands on the Jewel.” She unbuckled her boots and hopped up onto the wooden platform, sniffing hopefully at the bubbling pot over the fire. Shippo dropped from her shoulder into her lap as she sat down.
 
Kaede poked the charcoal with blackened iron tongs. “I cannot say that I am sorry; he was a terribly bad man, a thoroughly evil creature even before he became Naraku.”
 
“How long did you know him before he died, Kaede-sama?”
 
“Only a few days, but it was long enough. He spoke to me of his unholy lusts, to see both my sister and the Jewel defiled by malice and hate; she would not listen when I told her, brushed me aside with the assurance that he was dying and could not be held accountable for anything he said. But I knew…oh, I most certainly knew that if he could devise a way to carry out his foul desires, he would do so without hesitation.”
 
Kagome shivered, hugging Shippo tightly. “He's made himself stronger; I hope Inuyasha learns something we can use…”
 
“Did ye say thy hanyou was gone to see the demon smith?”
 
“Yes. He's hoping that Totosai will know how to strengthen the Tetsusaiga…it was defeated by Naraku's barrier.”
 
Kaede started slightly, and then beckoned impatiently. “Tell me of the rest of thy battle; I wish to hear the entire tale.” She had just poured tea when the doorway was filled and Miroku's warm voice called a greeting as he held the matting aside for Sango. Kagome noticed that the slayer was very pink-cheeked as they both stepped out of their sandals and propped their weapons against the wall.
 
“Ye scoundrel monk…what have ye done to young Sango-sama?”
 
Sango turned an even darker shade and ducked her head at Kaede's blunt question. Miroku looked innocent. “Nothing… yet, Kaede-sama.”
 
“Well, give the girl leave a while; she looks as if she will faint dead away from the anticipation of thy manly attentions.”
 
Kagome's lip twitched as the demon slayer, who fought poison-breathing, miasma-oozing opponents without turning an eyelash, squeaked and hid her burning cheeks in Miroku's shoulder. The monk smiled softly and pressed a kiss to the crown of her head, and then Kagome deflected attention away from them by telling the story of the defeat of the `Wind Scar. Kaede's one eye grew large and round as Kagome detailed the strength of the barrier that surrounded their foe, and the intensity of the poison gases that leaked from it. “Naraku said that he can choose the time of his weakness, and that he uses it to make himself more powerful.”
 
Miroku frowned thoughtfully as he accepted a bowl of rice and stew from Kaede. “If that barrier is any indication, we must soon attempt a test, where you and Inuyasha combine your attacks…”
 
“And where, exactly, do you propose we find a demonic substitute that's willing to be blown to smithereens to find out if our idea works?” Kagome grinned at him as she handed another bowl to Sango, and then tried not to drop her own very hot portion onto Shippo, who was firmly in possession of her lap.
 
Miroku took a bite, and then waved his chopsticks in the air. “We do not need a target, Kagome-sama. Inuyasha can call up the `Wind Scar' on command, and you can also charge an arrow with your spiritual power at your behest. I fail to see why we require any other help for a successful test.”
 
“Once he gets back, we'll give it a try…although I'll be willing to bet that our full power is only unleashed when we're in battle.”
 
“We do not require `full power' for a test; we are merely attempting to discern whether the combined attack might work in theory.”
 
“Right. Did Shippo fill you in with what the rest of our patrol was like, Kaede-sama?” Kagome asked, holding out her bowl for a refill.
 
“Aye. It is very unfortunate that ye are becoming accustomed to the sight of death.”
 
“We are not accustomed to it, Kaede-sama…and we never will become so hardened.” Sango's voice was soft but steely, hinting at her anger over the destroyed lives. “It reminded us that humans are capable of just as much darkness as Naraku.”
 
“I wish that ye did not face this battle… ye are all so young to bear this responsibility…”
 
“Midoriko chose us, Kaede-sama.” Miroku said very firmly. “There is no doubt in my mind that we were all brought together for the sole purpose of defeating this evil.” Sango looked up at him; he smiled down at her before continuing. “What is the likelihood of a full demon, a half-demon, a miko, a demon slayer and a monk combining forces on their own? This is our destiny.”
 
“Destiny sucks. I wanna new one,” Shippo growled. He snuggled up to Kagome; she ran her fingers through his top-knot.
 
Sango grinned at the kitsune, then reached to tug on his brush. “Your destiny is to grow up into a nine-tailed fox and drive us all crazy with your tricks.”
 
The kit arched an eyebrow. “By the time I have nine tails, it'll be so far down the line of your descendents that the lechery will be bred out…” As Sango blushed anew, Kagome thought about Masa Kosaru and couldn't help a smirk. By the time you have four tails, Ship-dip, the lechery will still be a factor
 
Thanks for the meal, Kaede-sama, but I'd better move out. I don't want to be heading up to the well in the dark.” Kagome handed over her empty bowl and gave Shippo a hug. “The shrine gates should be closed by now. I'll see about some more supplies, and come through late tomorrow afternoon, probably with some cartons that I'll need help with. Oh, and thanks for having Arashi and Juhi seen to.” The old miko merely nodded and dismissed her with a `shooing' motion; she bowed politely and then winked at her two friends before stepping off the platform and putting on her boots.
 
Shippo jumped onto her shoulder as she checked her weapons. “I'll protect you, since dog-breath isn't here.”
 
“Are you sure that you'll feel comfortable walking back by yourself?”
 
“I'll just transform into that big dog that lives inside your sword.”
 
“Taking after your `father', huh?
 
“Ugh…a fox, then.”
 
“Cleverly disguised as a giant pickle, no doubt…” She chuckled and brought up a hand to steady the grumbling kitsune on her shoulder-guard. “Good night, everyone; see you tomorrow!” They had barely reached the bottom of the stairs leading up to the forest when Sango caught up to them. Kagome wondered at the slayer's flushed countenance, since the girl had only run about ten feet.
 
“Um, Kagome? Can I talk to you?” Sango was a very dark shade of pink, and her fingers worried the sleeve of her kosode.
 
Kagome arched an eyebrow. “Sure, Sango…what about?”
 
“Er, Shippo, could you go back to the hut? I'll escort Kagome…”
 
“But who's gonna guard you?” The kit asked sceptically. “Kirara isn't here, and you don't have Hiraikotsu…”
 
“Tell Miroku to meet me at the well in a few minutes.”
 
Shippo stuck out his lip. “You don't think I'm strong enough to protect you?”
 
As Kagome eyed the agitated slayer, a lightbulb went off. “Go back and tell Miroku to meet Sango at the well. We need to have a girl talk.” Sango shot her a grateful look as the kit made a disgusted noise, jumped down from Kagome's shoulder and scuttled in the direction of Kaede's hut. Kagome smiled at Sango and tucked her hand under the slayer's elbow as they climbed the staircase. Sango stayed silent until they had cleared the top step and moved into the shadowed trees.
 
“Um, Kagome?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“This medicine from your time…it really works?”
 
Kagome chuckled. “You don't see any little quarter-inu-youkais running around, do you? I can assure you that I'm not pregnant, either.”
 
Sango flashed a small smile. “It just seems too good to be true.”
 
“I'm using the same medicine, Sango. It really works.” She eyed the other girl's flushed countenance, and reached to touch her cheek. “What's really bothering you, Sango?”
 
The slayer turned even pinker. “I'm afraid, Kagome.”
 
“Afraid of Miroku?” Now Kagome was confused.
 
“No! No…I'm not afraid of him…”
 
“Then, um, what could be bothering you? It's a natural progression in your relationship. You love him and he loves you…or is there something going on that I don't know about?”
 
Sango stopped dead and turned to face Kagome. “No, nothing like that.” She twisted her sleeve a bit more and dropped her eyes. “Um…doesithurtmuch?”
 
Kagome blinked while she processed the slayer's words, and then pulled the woman who had survived being nearly cut to pieces and buried alive, whose ability to withstand pain was near legendary, into a tight hug. “It's different for each woman…it depends how your bodies fit together. Show him how you like to be touched…he'll more than likely be happy to learn the best places to put his hands!”
 
The other girl was silent for a minute, and then started to giggle. The tension evaporated out of her body, and then Kagome started to laugh along with her, and they chortled the rest of the way through the forest to the well meadow. Sitting down in the shadow cast by the well itself, they had a few minutes of contented camaraderie in the gathering dusk, until Miroku arrived with the twilight, the metal head of his shaft shining torch-bright in the last rays of sun on the far side of the clearing. He paced sedately towards them, smiling knowingly at both girls, which caused Sango to blush again and Kagome to grin.
 
“Buddha has most assuredly smiled upon me; how lucky can one monk be, to have two beautiful ladies awaiting his arrival?” It was spoken to both, but he had eyes only for Sango. Kagome stood up, brushed herself off, and watched as Miroku raised the other girl to her feet. She reached over and poked him in the shoulder.
 
“Be good, houshi-doushi.”
 
He blinked at her, obviously surprised to be reminded that they weren't quite alone, and then he waggled his eyebrows. “I am prepared to exceed her expectations in all ways, Kagome-sama; you may be sure of that!” Sango `eeped', and the other girl laughed.
 
“Just make sure she has something to brag about for her first time, Miroku, so we can share stories when it's ladies hour in the hot spring.” Smirking, she swung over the side of the well and vanished into a flash of blue.
 
Sango was still rather pink when cool fingertips framed her face, tilting up her chin for a soft kiss. Dark violet eyes above smiling lips captivated her, and her embarrassment fled. She stretched up on tip-toe and kissed Miroku back, his left hand dropping to weave his fingers with hers. “Come, my dark-eyed love. The laundress has kept her rinse water hot for us at Kaede-sama's request, and it would be rude not to avail ourselves of her kindness.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
Whew…it's stifling in here! The well-house was dark and extremely stuffy when Kagome climbed out of the cool-by-comparison well and bounded up the inner staircase to the doors. She cracked them open, peering out to make sure the courtyard was clear, and then practically skipped down the stairs and across the space, happy that her two best friends were finally getting it together.
 
The Higurashi demesne was darkened, and all the windows were open to catch the cooling night breeze. The foyer door was also propped ajar, and she was able to squeeze inside without announcing her presence. Unbuckling her boots, she crept into the house on cat's-paw-feet and followed her ears to the living room, where she found her brother and Akagane sprawled on the tatami mats, watching an American horror movie. Stealthily grabbing a handy floor cushion, she waited until Akagane's nose twitched and as the girl started to look over her shoulder, which happened to coincide with an appropriate moment on-screen…she dropped the pillow on the unsuspecting couple.
 
“What the fucking hell?” Sota rocketed to his feet and into an attack stance; Akagane was already snarling, her fangs bared, her claws very much in evidence as her eyes flashed green. But it was too late; their insanely giggling attacker was already out of range in the relative safety of the kitchen. “Dammit, sis…trying to fucking scare us to death?”
 
“The movie didn't appear to be doing an adequate job…and when did you develop such a potty-mouth, young man?”
 
Her brother grinned. “I'm hoping to be accepted as a cadet next year, so I have to start practising!”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Sensei Yashita will still be able to give you lessons in verbal dexterity, trust me. How are you, Akagane? Keeping this charming brat on his toes?”
 
The young vixen, her concealment spell firmly back in place, chuckled. “He's a Higurashi; he keeps me on mine!”
 
“There's some left-over stir-fry if you're hungry, sis. Akagane made it, and it's really good.”
 
“Thanks, but I had dinner before I came through the well. Hey…where's mom?”
 
Sota flopped back down on the floor. “Out on a dinner date with Gitoumaru. Don't hold your breath about her coming home tonight.” He leered. “They're going hot and heavy…”
 
Damn, damned, damnable!” All the possible problems associated with her mother and a dog demon going `hot and heavy' caused Kagome to collapse on the floor with a bump and hold her head in her hands.
 
Akagane chuckled again, and came over to pat Kagome on the head before returning to plop down next to Sota. “Don't worry, they haven't gone all the way…but I hear she needs to be thoroughly de-scented before she comes home!”
 
So not wanting to hear the gory details of my mother's sex life…” the dark-haired girl groaned.
 
The teens exchanged glances and winked at each other. “Would you rather hear about ours?” Sota asked, a little too innocently.
 
“That had better be a joke, mister!” Kagome gasped…and gave a very gratifying shriek of dismay when the pair smirked at her.
 
“What's all that racket down there? Can't an old man sleep in peace?” Ojii-san's quavering shout had them all hunkering down, but as soon as his door closed again, Kagome's silver-rimmed eyes were boring into them.
 
“Do you mean to tell me that you two are…?” She got a pillow in the face.
 
“Relax, sis. We're not that reckless. We'll leave the sneaking around to you and mom. Shimano is picking Akagane up in about an hour.”
 
“Whaddya mean, I'm sneaking around?” Her eyes turned even more metallic, and she easily fielded the next cushion tossed at her.
 
“You and Yash, of course.” Sota rolled his eyes, as if the answer should be obvious.
 
“But I'm…we're…oh, yeah. Guess that you could look at it that way…”
 
“And since it's such an easy way to annoy you, I will!”
 
Two pillows fired in rapid succession and with demonic-power-assisted accuracy laid him out flat. “Eat feathers, Higurashi. I'm going up for a shower; Akagane, if I happen to miss your dad, could you tell him that I'll see him at the Armoury tomorrow?”
 
“Sure thing, Obaa-san. Make time for Yash, too. He's missed you something awful these last couple of weeks.”
 
“Hm…if I'm your grandmother, that means you kissing my brother is probably illegal in nearly every prefecture….” It was Kagome's turn to dodge a well-aimed pillow as she scampered past the pair and up the stairs, unbuckling her cuirass as she entered her room. A shower and then a long, hot bath…and no worries about Naraku for at least twenty-four hours. Yippee! She paused in the act of pulling off her sport bra. I wonder how Sango and Miroku are making out? Geez, I can't believe I phrased it that way!
 
An hour and a half later, a soaked and scrubbed girl gratefully collapsed into the cool sheets of her bed…and immediately missed her hanyou's presence. Inuyasha…hurry home
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
Sango stepped out of the laundress' hut, wrapped in a clean kosode, feeling much better for a long soak and a hair wash…and to finally be out of her battle gear for the first time in two weeks. Her eye was immediately caught by the warm smile on Miroku's face, as he waited in a pool of light provided by two flickering lamps. He rose as she approached him, and he handed her one of the lamps with a flourish. “Dearest Sango…please, return to Kaede-sama's hut and await me there. I won't be long.”
 
She felt a funny little flutter in her stomach when he bent to kiss her, a soft caress that held the promise of greater intimacy to come, and he brushed a fingertip over her lips as he stepped away. Sango watched him disappear behind the matting and heard his jovial greeting of the laundress, who responded with a ribald comment. Her cheeks flamed as he jested in kind, and then she made her way through the quiet village to the old miko's hut, letting the night air cool her down as she admired the stars twinkling overhead. She spared a thought for Kirara and Inuyasha, out there somewhere in the dark, and wondered if they had reached the smithy safely. Shippo was already snoring softly in a corner, and to pass the time, she helped Kaede prepare a medicinal brew for a young mother in the village that was not recovering properly from the birth of her baby.
 
It wasn't very long at all when Miroku appeared in Kaede's doorway…and she hardly recognized her houshi. Instead of his bulky black and purple, he was robed only in a pale kosode that emphasized his tall, slender frame…and his hair was loose. She stared at him, her eyes tracing the dark hair framing his face and falling over his shoulders, admiring the somewhat dishevelled effect. His eyes crinkled as he smiled, and then he gravely bowed to Kaede. “May I deprive you of your beautiful assistant, my good lady? I beg your gracious permission…”
 
“Leave off the flattery, ye scallywag.” Kaede's one good eye was kind. “Take thy lass and go…and may the gods bless both of thee with much happiness.”
 
“Thank you, Kaede-sama. We are honoured to accept your good wishes.” Sango rose, brushing imaginary dust from her robe, and kept her eyes averted as she took her place at Miroku's side and the couple bowed formally to the old miko, the closest thing to a grandmother that both of them had. She waved them out the door, and Sango noticed that Miroku carried both his staff and a lamp.
 
Once they were outside the hut, and picking their way across the field to the shed, Miroku handed Sango the lamp and then wrapped one arm around her shoulders. Halfway to their destination, the girl motioned that they should stop. She gazed up at the sky, the stars twinkling brightly against the velvety blackness. “It is very beautiful tonight, don't you think?”
 
“Yes, the sky is very beautiful, Sango-chan.” The arm draped across her shoulders tightened, and she moved closer to him, sliding her free arm around his waist and resting her head against his chest. The crown of her head was kissed and she peeked up at his smile. That little fluttering started up in her stomach again. I'm so silly…it isn't like we haven't slept with each other…we just haven't… Memories of the previous month, when she and Miroku had shared the modified shed in Kagome and Inuyasha's absence, flickered through her mind. Miroku has been incredibly considerate, his hands never straying too far out of bounds, and she had only fleetingly explored his chest…both of them were too aware of the potential consequences of losing themselves in the moment.
 
That didn't stop them from kissing until their lips were nearly raw, though, and their tongues knew every contour of each other's mouths. Now, there wasn't any reason to wait, and her heart quickened at the thought. She felt ashamed for having that moment of uncertainty with Kagome. This is Miroku, for goddess' sake! I trust him with my life and my heart…
 
Her cheeks flushed, and then she heard a chuckle rumble through Miroku's chest. “My lovely Sango…let us continue on to our bed. Whilst admiring you by starlight is certainly delightful, I find lamplight to be more conducive to displaying your charms to their fullest advantage.” The soft jingle of his staff punctuated his words, and they resumed their trek across the field, stumbling a little in the dark, and Miroku joking that they could really use Kirara's demon flames to light their way.
 
He had obviously been to the shed while she was bathing, as the brazier was lit and the pallet bed turned down. The brazier was mainly for light, not heat, as it was pleasantly cool outside. Miroku slid the door open, and she stepped up inside. “Excuse me, Sango. I wish to check the sutras to make sure we shall be undisturbed.”
 
“Isn't the barrier still in place around the village?”
 
“Yes…but I do not wish to be disturbed by stray kitsunes in the morning.” White teeth flashed, and he disappeared around the corner of the hut. Sango closed the door and moved to the neatly stacked boxes and crates on the side of the small room, eyeing the bed and chewing her lip. I feel odd being completely naked….but he is going to be my husband in fact if not in law…and after tonight, he'll have seen it all…well, more than he ever saw sneaking peeks at a hot spring… Coming to a decision, she loosened the sash on her kosode, shrugged it off, and folded it neatly. Laying it atop one of the boxes that served as a makeshift table, listening to Miroku's tread as he paced the perimeter of the shed, she tucked herself between the blankets and waited, her stomach full of butterflies and her heart thumping irregularly. Very soon, the door opened, and her houshi stepped in. With his hair unbound, he looked like a different person…but the mischievous glint in his dark violet eyes remained the same.
 
“Ahhh…eager to begin, my love? I thought I would make us some tea…”
 
“T-tea?” Sango sat up, holding the blankets to her chest. Miroku's breath caught as her flowing hair was bronzed by the brazier-light, her creamy golden skin taking on a velvety texture, soft dark eyes bright with confusion. He couldn't resist teasing her a little more. “Of course. We should always have a cup of tea together before retiring; it promotes good digestion and is such a civilized custom…”
 
“All right.” Sango sounded less than enthused about being `civilized'. When he made no move toward the kettle, her brow furrowed in puzzlement. Instead, he regarded her with hooded eyes for a moment, and then his hands went to his sash. He had her full attention as he untied the fabric belt, and then rolled his shoulders. The kosode slid down his lean muscled arms…and then he was completely naked to her astonished gaze.
 
There's quite a bit worth looking at, too…Sango couldn't help ogling her houshi; Miroku's body was toned and well-defined from his years of travelling and fighting. The object of her attentions smirked a bit when her eyes reached his manhood. It twitched, and rose slightly in response to the attention; Sango squeaked and ducked. She was still hiding her crimson cheeks behind a blanket when Miroku tossed the robe aside and knelt beside her, pressing an open-mouthed kiss to the junction of her shoulder and neck, then trailed his lips up the side of her throat to her ear, where he nibbled gently on the tender lobe. She inhaled sharply, and turned into the caress. He brushed his lips over hers, and she tangled her fingers in his hair in an attempt to keep him in place for another kiss.
 
Now that her hands were occupied, the blanket slipped down, and she shivered when Miroku's hands also found something to keep themselves amused. They circled her waist, the beads and fabric of his gauntlet sliding over her skin in an interplay of textures; first the silky smoothness of the beads, followed by the slight roughness of the linen. She wasn't nearly as conscious of his other, bare hand…and when it skimmed up her ribs and cupped her breast, running a thumb over her nipple, she gasped more in surprise than arousal. Miroku didn't appear to notice; he kept kissing her, his gauntleted arm curving around her back and pressing her against him. He noticed her tension, though, and kept kissing, and gently stroking, until her body relaxed and she began to enjoy the sensations.
 
She decided that she loved his hair loose and falling over his shoulders, and the way he sometimes sucked lightly on her bottom lip before releasing it, and the warm jolts that travelled all the way from her breast to her belly and back again as his thumb continued to sweep and rub…but she was unprepared for the near-ache that erupted between her thighs when Miroku leaned her back and bent his head to the neglected breast, running his warm, wet tongue over the erect nipple before lightly nibbling on it.
 
Miroku!” She clasped him in her arms and arched her spine, letting her head drop back as she gave herself up to the sensations pouring through her. She hardly noticed as he laid her down on the bedding, his mouth never giving up its sweet assault, now switching from one breast to the other as she squirmed and moaned. Sango came alert when Miroku kissed his way up her chest to her throat as he slid on top of her, pressing his weight into her, the blanket still between them. The feeling of need that made her sex practically throb in response had her parting her legs and allowing him to settle between her thighs, his erection pressing directly against her with only a layer of woven material between them. Their kisses became more languid but just as heated; Sango began running her hands through his hair and over his shoulders, stroking down his back even as his hands continued to explore her curves.
 
Miroku broke the kiss to gaze down at her with hooded eyes, bringing his hands up to cup her face, smoothing her bangs away from her brow and tangling his fingers in her hair. “You bring joy to my heart, my lovely Sango, and I am so honoured that you would share yourself with me like this.”
 
The girl smiled softly and leaned up to kiss him. “We both deserve a little happiness, Miroku. You bring joy to my heart, too.”
 
He glanced at the gauntlet before brushing the fingers of that hand over her cheek. “I wish I could feel you without impediment…”
 
Sango kissed him again. “As soon as Naraku is defeated, you may grope my bottom with that hand for as long as you wish…”
 
His eyes twinkled. “Truly? I always knew that you had a generous soul, my love. I will hold you to that promise.”
 
“As long as you hold me at the same time, you can do anything you want…” She stilled as his eyes darkened and a slow, sexy smile curved his lips, and then his head dipped to breathe in her ear.
 
“I would like to have permission to do something in advance of my collecting on that promise, Sango-chan.” His warm breath gave her goosebumps, and reduced her to a whimper.
 
“Anything…”
 
A chuckle rumbled from his chest into hers. “Thank you, koi…I have wished to do this with you for so long…” He began to kiss his way down her body, taking the covering blanket with him, until he reached her short curls. Despite her assurance, Miroku still looked up for permission to touch her; Sango, whose breathing had accelerated the closer he came to her aching core, found herself nodding eagerly, anticipating his next move.
 
To say that he took her by surprise was an understatement of major proportions.
 
She let out a startled “Oh!” as his tongue gave one long, slow stroke and when his lips closed over her most sensitive flesh…her hips would have bucked violently off the pallet if he hadn't been holding them down. Her response thrilled him, hardening him until he nearly groaned with anticipation, blotting out the twinge of pain when she pulled his hair and cried out again.
 
Miroku flicked his tongue against the hardened nub, and was very satisfied with how Sango's whole body reacted. After a few more languorous licks and gentle nibbles, he felt her go tense and her breathing stall…stepping up his attentions, he was more than gratified when she cried out a strangled version of his name as her body shook from the force of her orgasm. Waiting a few moments to give a final lingering caress, he then crawled up her body, kissing, licking and nibbling her sweat-dampened skin until his erection pressed into her thigh and he ran his tongue up the column of her throat.
 
Sango's arms came up around him as she pressed a kiss to his temple; he looked deeply into her misty eyes before kissing her, teasing her mouth with his tongue as he rubbed himself against her entrance. The girl shivered at the contact, and broke the kiss abruptly. “Miroku…wait…”
 
“Yes, my love?” He eased back slightly.
 
“I-I want to…touch you.” Sango blushed, and fiddled with a lock of his hair.
 
“Of course, koi. Be gentle with me…” Miroku chuckled at the mystified look on her face and rolled to the side, lying back with one arm flung up over his head. Sango sat up, propping herself with her hand, her hair spilling over her shoulder and brushing against his side. He slipped his other arm around her hips, tracing little circles on her skin with his fingers and waited.
 
The girl began at his throat, running her hand lightly over his chest in slow sweeps, mapping the flat planes and brushing against his nipples. He groaned and arched his back slightly; Sango took that as an invitation to press kisses to the nearer one, and rub the other with her fingers. His gauntleted hand slid up her back and flexed lightly over her scar, breath hissing through his teeth at the sensations caused by her touch. While she continued to lavish attention on his chest with her mouth, her hand began to venture lower, dancing over his abdominals, tracing his hipbones, until her fingertips brushed against the head of his erection, and his hips jerked. Thinking she had harmed him, she pulled her hand away; moving fast, he caught it and cupped it over his rigid flesh.
 
Sango lifted her head from his chest and gazed at their joined hands; Miroku wished he could see the look on her face, but she was screened by a curtain of dark hair. Her fingers slowly curled around him, and she let him guide her in gently caressing the sensitive organ. He couldn't help the long, drawn-out moan, or stop his hips from responding to the delicious friction created by the pressure of both of their hands wrapped around him; he was aware of her hair trailing down his body…but he still gasped in surprise when her tongue shyly flicked at his tip.
 
She seemed to appreciate his response, because she repeated the caress several times, until he was almost overwhelmed by his body's enthusiasm for her touch. He gently tugged on her hair to pull her away, and stilled her hand with his own, deep-breathing and re-weaving his fraying control…and let out a mewling whine when her thumb brushed over the sensitive tip. “S-sango…please…”
 
“A-am I doing something wrong?” She asked, worry apparent in her voice, and her fingers freezing in mid-stroke.
 
Miroku managed a weak chuckle. “On the contrary…you're doing every thing too right. Koi…please let me…love you now?”
 
Sango smiled softly then, and released him, then ran her hand up his torso until her fingertip was tapping his chin as she looked at him from under her lashes. She lowered herself until she was pressed against his side, and kissed him very deeply. With a muffled moan, he clasped her against him and rolled on top of her. Her thighs parted, and he again found himself poised at her slick entrance…and very aware that he was about to deflower a virgin.
 
She smiled a little crookedly. “Be gentle with me…”
 
He chuckled a bit and kissed her very tenderly. “Of course…do you trust in me?”
 
“I'm prepared for pain…” She looked so adorably determined that he had to kiss her again.
 
“This is not a battle, Sango…this is more of a dance.”
 
“Well, I wouldn't be hired by even a desperate tea-house to perform as a dancer!”
 
“Good, because I wish to have you dance only for me.” He lightly rocked his hips against her, and slid just inside; Sango inhaled and tensed up. “It will be fine, koi…breathe…” Bracing himself on one elbow, he reached back to gently urge her knees to bend, tilting her hips up and settling himself more thoroughly into position. Miroku watched her face very carefully as he slowly eased into her incredibly tight, hot and wet body, pausing when he reached a definite barrier.
 
Sango was panting, her eyes screwed tightly shut and her teeth clenched as she tensed against his sweet invasion. Miroku waited, holding very still, kissing her so softly and intimately that the tension began to leave her; her legs dropped further apart and her hands unballed from the fists they were curled in, then slid up his arms to wrap around his neck and weave into his hair. “My beautiful Sango…no need to rush… this is our night…”
 
He wasn't sure if it was the tone of his voice, or the words themselves, but suddenly the girl he held in his arms completely relaxed, sighing lightly. “I-I'm ready…”
 
“I adore you, my love…” he breathed, as he took her lips with a heated kiss to distract her from the discomfort, and snapped his hips at the same moment. He held still again as her body jerked slightly, but he was as deeply sheathed as possible, and the sensations nearly made his head spin. I feel like this is my first time all over again…I've been with more than a few women, it is true…but never with one that means as much to me as Sango. This must be why it is called `making love'…
 
Sango decided that all things considered, she didn't really hurt at all, and discovered that the sensation of being filled so completely more than made up for the sharp pinch she had felt. She wriggled her hips experimentally, and was rewarded with Miroku groaning into her mouth. Encouraged, she again pushed against him, and he broke the kiss with a crooked smile on his lips and leaned his forehead against hers. “Ah, Sango…shall we dance?” he whispered hoarsely with laughter in his voice.
 
“H-how?”
 
“Like this…” He slowly pulled back, and then thrust in. Sango made a small noise, and then brought her legs up over his hips, locking them together in an intimate embrace. Her body tightened around him and he gritted his teeth, his nostrils flaring as he deep-breathed to find some small thread of control…but with the overwhelming sensations assaulting him, he knew he wouldn't last long. Changing his angle slightly, increasing his tempo, he was reasonably sure he had found the right spot when Sango keened and scrabbled at his shoulders, her whole body reacting…but then his release caught him off guard and he pounded into her, shuddering as he hissed her name into her skin.
 
Sango was surprised when her lover collapsed on top of her, her name on his lips, covered with sweat and his heart racing. What was all that about? Did he just…? Her own body was wound up tighter than a spring, absolutely aching for…something. Miroku lifted his head and she smiled wonderingly at the misted look in his eyes, and then he kissed her so deeply and searchingly that she gave herself up to him, kissing back hungrily and rocking her hips against him.
 
“Forgive me, koi. I finished without you; allow me…” He carefully withdrew from her, and laid half on top of her, kissing her while his hand caressed her breasts, playing with her nipples until she was arching into his touch and squirming desperately to relieve the ache between her thighs. His clever hand soon travelled down her body, and she gasped into his mouth as his fingertips, so cool against her heated flesh, slipped yet farther down and began to stroke and rub where she was hot and wet.
 
Sango felt heavy and tight all at once, tingling pressure building up in her belly, her limbs trembling…and when Miroku simultaneously did something rapid with his fingers as his lips fastened over her breast, lights exploded behind her eyes and she screamed. It took a long time to come back from that blissful place, the small aftershocks leaving her trembling; she was barely aware of Miroku arranging the blankets over both of them and wrapping himself around her. Sango snuggled under his chin, the afterglow warming her as thoroughly as his embrace. She felt she ought to say something to mark this occasion, but her brain refused to function in any ordered fashion, and she gave up as sleep claimed her.
 
Miroku lay awake a little while longer, combing his fingers through her long tresses, loving the feel of her pressed up against him, her breath warm against his skin. He held up his gauntlet in the dim light, eyeing the mark of his curse, and furrowed his brow. Naraku must be defeated…we will not be separated. He kissed Sango's brow, delighting in the fitful murmurs as she nestled closer in her sleep, and closed his eyes, feeling truly contented for the first time in years. Sango muttered something, and rubbed her nose on his chest. “Yes, koi?”
 
“'S the hair…wear y'r hair down…like it…” He smirked as she sighed and fell into a deeper slumber, her breathing evening out and slowing.
 
“Sleep well, Sango…I look forward to being called `husband' on the morrow.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“You're here bright and early, whelp! What do you…by all the gods of heaven and hell!”
 
Inuyasha took in the elderly smith's gormless expression, eyes even more bugged out than usual, and toothless jaw agape…and arched his eyebrow. “What the hell's your problem?” Totosai didn't answer, just stared at him, his mallet frozen in mid-blow. The hanyou snorted and shoved his hands in his sleeves, trying not to itch or sneeze in the foul atmosphere. “Finally lost what's left of your mind, Totosai?” The demon smith slowly rose to his feet and came towards him, stopping right in front of him and looking intently at his face. Inuyasha tried not to flinch as grubby claws reached towards his cheek, and he realized what might have caught Totosai's attention.
 
“Oi! Don't touch me with those claws…looks like you haven't washed in a couple of centuries…” He batted Totosai away, and the smith shook himself. The bulbous eyes that fastened on him again were very sharp.
 
“I see you have come more fully into your heritage, whelp. Now, if you improved your attitude, you'd be truly as impressive as your lord father!”
 
“Keh. I need to ask you something about the other part of my heritage, old man.” Inuyasha resisted the urge to wipe his face and scratch his scalp furiously.
 
Totosai shuffled back to his seat and picked up his mallet before replying. “What is it now?”
 
“I need you to teach me a sword strike that will cut through any barrier, no matter how powerful.”
 
Totosai regarded him over the bar of green-tinted steel he was in the process of hammering. “The `Wind Scar' didn't do the job?”
 
Inuyasha scuffed his feet on the cinder-carpeted stone floor. “It was defeated.”
 
Totosai sucked his few remaining teeth, considering something before shrugging. “That was one strong barrier.” He hammered furiously for a few minutes, the echoing din causing Inuyasha to wince and pin back his ears.
 
When the cacophony subsided, barely reigning in his impatience, the hanyou asked, “Well? Can you teach me something like that?”
 
Totosai started and blinked at him. “What…you still here? Can't do anything for you, whelp, just like that. Unless you're willing to train, you'll need to work with what you have.” He filled his cheeks and bathed the metal in flames until it glowed dull red. He heard the hanyou's descriptive curse that called his ancestry into question, and then his receding footsteps. The old smith smiled fondly and addressed the blade in front of him. “Impatient, foul-mouthed, fearless…and incredibly powerful. The Inu no Taisho would be so proud of him…”
 
Outside the cavern, Inuyasha took a flying leap to land next to Kirara. The neko-youkai was eyeing the pop-eyed bull as it grazed on what appeared to be copious amounts of steaming green slime. She had her twin tails wrapped tightly around her body and legs, not really wanting to have any part of her more than was absolutely necessary touching the sulphurous ground. The hanyou scorched his foot on a hot spot, and hopped a bit, cursing; Kirara carefully stood up, avoiding that patch of earth, and Inuyasha slid onto her back. “Keh! This was a waste of a trip. Let's go home, Kirara.”
 
As the fire-cat sprang into the sky, a new, familiar, and not entirely welcome voice spoke in Inuyasha's ear. “Not completely wasted, Inuyasha-sama…and thanks for the meal!”
 
Myoga…” He had the flea-demon pinned between his claws in a trice, and saw the same gobsmacked expression as on Totosai. “What the hell is up with you old farts? Never seen an inu-youkai with stripes before?”
 
“I thought your blood tasted even richer…when did the markings become permanent?” The elderly flea asked, squirming in vain.
 
Inuyasha shrugged and allowed Myoga to escape up his sleeve and settle onto one of the beads of the rosary. “If they're not fading, that's news to me. We fought Naraku again yesterday, and it was a heated battle…and the bastard has a powerful shield-barrier.”
 
“Ah, that would be the reason why you came to Totosai to ask about if there was a new strike he could teach you?”
 
“Keh. Not that the old bugger was any help…”
 
“Allow me to be of service, Inuyasha-sama. Totosai is probably unaware of this, so was unable to assist you. There is a way to increase Tetsusaiga's shield-breaking power, but it is dangerous and unpleasant.”
 
Inuyasha brushed aside the cautions. “Just tell me, and I'll leave you unsquished…for now.”
 
Myoga shivered, but complied. “If you vanquish a demon protected by a powerful shield-barrier, and then allow your blade to bathe in the creature's blood, the Tetsusaiga will absorb the additional strength.”
 
“That makes sense…and now that you've told me this, do you know of a demon with a strong barrier that I can kill?”
 
“It will mean a couple of weeks away from your home village, but yes, I do…have you ever heard of the hyakki-komori?”
 
“Ogre bats? No…but you have plenty of time to tell me. Get talkin'.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
Kagome rolled out of bed and stood up, yawning and stretching. Oh, man…I slept like absolute crap… Stumbling over to her window, she opened the curtains and peered out at a brilliant summer morning. The heat was already increasing; the birds chirped in the Goshinboku, and she heard the rhythmic scratch, scratch of her grandfather's broom as he readied the shrine for another day. Wonder how things went for Sango and Miroku…never mind that…did my mom come home?
 
That question was answered a moment later, as a dark sedan purred into the courtyard. Her mother exited, walked around to the driver's side and leaned in the window to kiss her escort. Kagome caught a glimpse of dark hair and a wide smile on Gitoumaru's face as he waved good-bye. Mrs. Higurashi tripped across the courtyard to say something to Ojii-chan, and Kagome ducked back inside to start dressing. If I hit the Armoury early enough, maybe Yash and I can go for lunch together
 
Ten minutes later, she thumped downstairs in red leather and a black tank top, carrying her helmet and gloves. She grabbed an apple out of the fridge and bit into it as she dug her riding boots out of the back of the shoe rack in the foyer. Her mother was just coming in as she straightened up. “Good morning!” she chirped; Mrs. Higurashi had the grace to look a little abashed.
 
“Good morning to you, too. Off to the Armoury?”
 
“Yup. I'm hoping to mooch lunch off Yashita, so I'll see you this afternoon sometime.”
 
“Have you eaten breakfast?”
 
“No…too lazy to make miso.”
 
“It's still quite early…I'll make us something to eat, and we can chat a bit. We didn't have much of a chance last time you were home.” There was definite longing in her mother's voice, and she reached out to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her daughter's ear.
 
Kagome hesitated only a moment, and then smiled. “Sure, mom. That would be great. Um, what does Gitoumaru do? He isn't an instructor at the Academy…”
 
“He is part of the Imperial court; takes care of scheduling of festivities.” Mrs. Higurashi slipped off her shoes and bustled past. “Oh, he asked me to remind you of the New Moon Festival next month.”
 
“If I'm available, I'll be happy to drink sake with the Emperor again.”
 
“Good enough. Come on, and tell me about your adventures.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Two and a half hours later, Kagome rolled into the courtyard of the Academy, and parked her motorcycle in the same slot already occupied by Yashita's silver machine. She snapped off a crisp answering salute to the two guardsmen at the top of the stairs, and almost turned left to head down the corridor to the Armoury, but changed her mind and went right instead, heading for the stairs and Sessaki's office. I forgot to phoneit's summer recess, so he shouldn't be as busy.
 
She arrived outside the office door, took a deep breath, and slid it open. Nekajo peered at her over the edge of a file folder and arched his eyebrows. “Do you have an appointment, Lady Kagome?”
 
The girl stepped out of her boots and lined them up neatly next to two pairs that she recognized. “No, I don't, but I owe Lord Sessaki a situation report that I'm sure he would not be very pleased if he missed.”
 
Several centuries of recognizing imminent threats to his bodily health had the imp scrambling. “One moment, Lady Kagome. I'm sure there will not be any problem…” He knocked lightly on the shoji frame of the inner sanctum and then opened the door. “My lord…”
 
“Send her in.” Nekajo bowed away, indicating that she should proceed. Kagome smirked at the disguised toad-imp, handed him her helmet, and squared her shoulders before stepping into Sessaki's office, the door sliding shut behind her. She smiled softly at the fatigue-wearing occupant of the other cushion in front of the polished teak desk and inclined her head to Yashita before executing a lower, more formal bow to Sessaki. “Be seated, Higurashi.”
 
“Thank you, sir.” She knelt on the cushion, her back very straight, her hands on her thighs and `eyes front'.
 
“At ease.” Kagome gratefully rearranged herself so that she was seated cross-legged and only then did she give both demons, who were both wearing their concealment spells, a very bright smile. She wasn't terribly surprised when Yashita reached for her hand; she wove her fingers with his and squeezed gently. Sessaki did not comment, but leaned forward slightly; she was aware of his keen eyes scanning her face. “You look tired, Higurashi.”
 
“I didn't sleep well last night, sir.” She rubbed her eyes with her free hand. “We've had a helluva couple of weeks, and Inuyasha went to Totosai's forge to see about strengthening the Tetsusaiga.”
 
“You fought Naraku again.” It wasn't a question; Yashita's fingers tightened around hers.
 
“Onigumo.”
 
“Those villages…and the bandits.”
 
She smiled a bit sadly. “You remember…” He squeezed her hand tightly and they had a brief moment of connection. She turned her attention to the taiyoukai, who had watched the interchange in silence. “In the past two weeks, we have discovered that Naraku also has a time of weakness; the barrier around his castle thinned to the point that his scent leaked out, allowing Koga and Inuyasha to track it. Koga lost the shards in his legs to Kagura; we combined forces in an unsuccessful attempt to recover them. Following that, and the revelation to both the wolves and Kagura of the secret of the night of the new moon, we followed in the path of some disgusting bandits that massacred three villages before they were killed in their turn by `Muso', who turned out to be Onigumo. The `Wind Scar' was defeated by a massive barrier erected by Naraku, and now we're awaiting Inuyasha's return from Totosai's forge to see what our next move is.”
 
“Nicely summarized, Higurashi.” Sessaki nodded. He paused, seeming to consider something, and then offered, “You must have questions. We may not be able to fully answer, but at least we may know of your concerns.”
 
Kagome chuckled wryly at his doleful tone and grinned at the taiyoukai. “All right…here's a burning question. How on earth am I supposed to convince you to join us, when I haven't seen you on the other side in weeks?”
 
Sessaki weighed his words carefully before answering. “You will soon have an opportunity to readdress the issue with my younger self.”
 
Kagome nodded, and looked to Yashita. “Is your trip to Totosai's successful?”
 
He shifted on his cushion, his eyes flashing briefly amber. “Yes, and no. You'll be gone for a couple of weeks on a journey to give the Tetsusaiga greater barrier-slicing strength.”
 
“Will we be back in time for the night of the new moon?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Whew! That's a relief. The last one was a bit too stressful for my tastes, what with Koga and Kagura involved.”
 
“That was a pretty wild night, wasn't it?” Yashita agreed, and reached down to grip the cushion she sat on in his fingertips…Kagome could see the indents caused by his invisible claws in the fabric…and tugged her closer to him. She tried to send him a visual message along the lines of not in front of your brother! but he cheerfully ignored her. Sessaki spoke, and she snapped her attention back to him.
 
“That was the same night that Kagura attempted to bribe me with Shikon shards to kill Naraku for her.”
 
Kagome blinked at this revelation. “S-she did? That's where she took off to; she wasn't trying to divert us from the weakened barrier around Naraku's castle?”
 
“No…she desired her freedom from him at great risk to herself.” Sessaki moved some paperwork to the side. “She was somewhat of an ally; as far as we know, she never told Naraku the secret of Inuyasha's night of weakness.”
 
“Why didn't you help her?” Kagome couldn't help asking, and jumped at the answering growl.
 
“A few reasons, but mainly I had no need of the shards, she was spawned of Naraku…and she threatened Rin.”
 
“Sorry, sir. That question was out of line.”
 
“I gave you permission to ask, Higurashi. Yashita, what do you think you're doing?”
 
“This.” In the next instant, she was in Yashita's lap and enveloped in a hug. Kagome was fairly sure that this was Not Appropriate, considering it was not only in Sessaki's office but also right in front of the taiyoukai. However, no growl thundered from the other side of the desk, so she relaxed a bit and let Yashita rub circles on her back while resting his chin on the top of her head. She peeked over at Sessaki. He regarded them with an arched eyebrow and then elegantly shrugged.
 
“Higurashi, do you know what supplies you may require for the next couple of weeks?”
 
“Um, more field rations, and more arrows, please. We haven't been using the tents because the weather has been so good, but a new ground sheet would be appreciated.”
 
He wrote something on a piece of paper; Kagome watched him handle a ballpoint pen as if it was a calligraphy brush. Sessaki handed her the note. “Take this to Shimano. You are dismissed, Higurashi. Report back once you have returned from your patrol.”
 
She made to jump out of Yashita's embrace, but he stood them both up with no effort and released her so that she could properly bow and salute Sessaki. Kagome backed up a bit and then inclined her head to her husband, wondering if he would follow after that little display; he made no move, other than to return her courtesy gesture. A bit puzzled, she let herself out of the office and shut the door behind her. Guess we're not doing lunch…shoot.
 
Nekajo handed over her helmet without a word; she buckled herself back into her boots and slipped out into the corridor, her ears straining for any sign that Yashita was following her. No sound at all; she wondered if his control had slipped and he didn't trust himself. She trailed back down the three flights to the ground floor and decided that teasing Shimano would be just the thing to cheer her up.
 
At the broad polished counter, she was taken aback to find not a fox, but a wolf waiting for her. Kogashu grinned very toothily from where he lounged in Shimano's accustomed chair, his boots propped up on the edge of the keyboard tray poking out from the wooden cabinet that disguised the system. “Hel-lo, princess! Fancy meeting you here!”
 
“Save it for Ayame, wolfling. What have you done with Shimano?” Kagome really didn't feel like bantering with the wolf youkai; she was hungry again, and her temper a little short from her poor sleep…and the mixed messages her husband appeared to be sending. Wearily, she placed her helmet on the counter and prepared to wait for the kitsune.
 
“He'll be back in a couple of minutes; had to run some ammo out to the range.” Kogashu stood up gracefully and had her hands in his before she could blink, looking intently into her eyes. He frowned a bit. “That puppy hasn't been looking after you properly…”
 
Kagome tried to yank her hands away, but he just tightened his grip. “We had a shitty patrol…you were involved, actually…spent the better part of a night chasing halfway across Honshu and back because Kagura took your shards, and then spent another week tracking some really nasty bandits until we ran into another incarnation. He was a bugger to fight, and then Naraku demo-ed his newest shield barrier…”
 
“Oh, yeah…I remember…that's the time I found out about mutt-face's night of weakness.” He rubbed the backs of Kagome's hands with his thumbs and looked at her very seriously. “I was damn lucky that you lot showed up because the wind-bitch had me by the short and curlies. And before you ask, I never betrayed the idiot dog because I didn't want to hurt you.”
 
She stopped trying to tug her hands free, and met his gaze directly. “Thanks, Koga. He means a great deal to me, as I'm sure you eventually figured out.”
 
Someone still hasn't figured out that keeping his hands to himself means he might live to see his grandchildren.” Yashita's low tone made the hairs on the back of her neck stand straight up, and caused Kogashu to let go hurriedly and back away, his hands held up in a gesture of surrender. “You dumb shit…how much damage would Ayame do to you if she saw you sucking up to another man's wife like a moony-eyed teenager?”
 
“She'd cope better than you.” At a safe distance, Kogashu returned to his usual cocky demeanour. Kagome realized her hair was still standing up from the elevated level of Yashita's youkai surrounding her. She began to turn toward him just as a large hand landed on her shoulder and squeezed gently; she stepped in close and leaned her head against his chest, his arm curling around her protectively. “Do you have time to do lunch with me, koishii?” he murmured into her hair.
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged. “I was hoping you'd ask.”
 
Yashita reached for her helmet. “Leave the note Sessaki gave you with wolf-shit here, and let's go.” She retrieved the piece of paper and slid it across the counter; with barely a backward glance at Kogashu, the couple headed down the corridor to Yashita's office. As soon as he had her inside and the door slammed shut, he pinned her up against the wall and kissed her ferociously. Kagome was half-expecting it, was still taken a little off-guard by the intensity, but that didn't stop her from kissing him back just as enthusiastically. Yashita finally let up and leaned his forehead against hers, panting lightly. “Sorry, Kagome…it's been a long two weeks, and seeing that bastard's hands on you…”
 
“If you promise to kiss me like that for an apology, I'll run back out and let him touch me again.” She managed a cheeky smile, and reached up to stroke his jaw; his concealment spell was flickering badly, with the blue stripes appearing and disappearing between heartbeats. He smiled back, and then leaned in for a gentle, sweet kiss before stepping over to his desk. Fishing his helmet from underneath, he turned back and kissed her again before opening the door and ushering her out.
 
They were clattering down the steps into the parking courtyard before he asked, “What do you feel like eating?”
 
Kagome snickered. “Ooh, there's a loaded question!”
 
Yashita groaned theatrically as he started up his bike. “Don't tease, wench…it isn't nice.”
 
Kagome slid onto the saddle behind him, pressed herself very close against him and purred, “Who said I was `nice'?” He reached back and gave her thigh a squeeze.
 
“Just decide what you want for lunch, Kagome…”
 
“Noodles would be fine…”
 
“You know me too well.”
 
She hugged him tightly. “I do…and I love you anyways.”
 
He chuckled, gave her clasped hands an affectionate pat, and backed up past her bike before taking them out of the courtyard in a smooth acceleration.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“That was a great lunch, Yash. Why am I somehow not surprised that you know all the good noodle shops in a five mile radius around the Academy?”
 
“Survival skills. Do you have to go home now?” They were back in the parking courtyard; the paving shimmered in the summer heat.
 
Kagome held out her hand for his cell-phone, and checked the time display. “Not yet. What do you have in mind? Besides that, I mean!” She hastily added, at his suggestive leer.
 
“What?” He asked, immediately switching his face to a look of innocence. “I was thinking we could go for a walk in the gardens…”
 
Kagome gave him a wistful smile. “I'd love to…but, is it safe?”
 
“I'm a big boy; I can control myself. How about you?”
 
She held up her hand. “I solemnly swear to not molest you…unless you ask nicely.”
 
He rolled his eyes. “Good enough. This way…” They left their helmets on the bike and walked up the stairs, saluting the guardsmen, then turned down the corridor away from the Armoury. Several turns later, they stood in the ornate gateway that led into the enclosed garden where he had first approached her the morning nearly a year previous when she'd been trying to figure out how to tell Sessaki that her ceremonial kimono was MIA. He ushered her past the bench where he had asked her out on that date, their boots crunching on the gravel paths and continued deeper into the maple-tree shaded grounds, until they were in the centre of the garden, screened from prying eyes, and in a small glade on the verge of a large koi pond.
 
Yashita sat down, his back against the trunk of a venerable magnolia, and held out his arms to her. Kagome didn't hesitate; she took off her leather jacket and dropped it on the ground as she stepped up to him and settled into his lap, sighing happily when his arms enclosed her. The pocket flaps of his fatigue jacket weren't comfortable to lean against, so she busied herself unbuttoning the garment and opening it so she could snuggle against his t-shirted chest. Once that was accomplished, she stilled, listening to his heartbeat, and found her eyelids drooping despite her best efforts to keep them open.
 
“Close your eyes, koishii. You're exhausted; I'll hold you for a while.”
 
“Thanks, koibito. I never sleep well when we're apart…”
 
“I know. Me neither.” Within seconds, the girl was breathing evenly, her body relaxing completely in his embrace. Yashita pressed a kiss to the crown of her head and closed his eyes, drinking in her scent and allowing a calm contentment to steal over him. It was a beautiful summer afternoon; he had his girl in his arms…what more could he ask? Well, there was something more, but that would have to wait…less than a year to go
 
A couple of hours later, Kagome stirred and slowly opened her eyes, a little disoriented when khaki and camouflage filled her visual field instead of expected fire-rat. Her brain whirled, then caught up as she recognized the not-quite-identical heartbeat and she pressed a kiss to Yashita's chest. His arms tightened around her and then loosened as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. “Feel better?”
 
“Mmm-hmm. Thank you for that. I conked right out!”
 
“You snore, too.”
 
“I do not! Er…do I?”
 
“Very cute little snores.” He grinned at her; she blinked when she realized he'd dropped his concealment spell, and was now amber-eyed, blue-striped and fanged; his ears were still tucked underneath his smoothed-back hair. Kagome laid her hand flat on his chest, and her fingertips bumped against the rounded lump under his shirt. She pulled the nested rings out of his neckline and ran her fingertips over them, tracing the circles of silver metal over and over again. Clawed fingers cupped her cheek and she leaned into the caress, smiling softly up at him. He bent his head to bestow a kiss, but stiffened a moment later and protectively tugged her close, growling a warning.
 
“Knock it off, Yash. It's only me.” Shimano flung himself down on the grass beside them, grinning widely and dropping his concealment spell. Kagome eyed his four extravagant tails, two of which waved at her from over his hip. “The supplies you requisitioned just left for the shrine ten minutes ago, and I know I'm waiting on the other side of the well give you a hand…”
 
Kagome made no move to leave Yash's embrace; instead, she impulsively held out her arms to the kitsune. “C'mere, runt. Group hug.” He hesitated; she beckoned insistently, ignoring Yashita's snort. “You know you want to…” Shimano grinned crookedly, and with a soft `pop', transformed into his much younger self, but equipped with four preposterously bushy tails, and jumped into her lap. Yashita started to laugh, and the kitsune blinked innocently up at him.
 
“Hey, she invited me…watch it, or I'll bite your ear like I used to…” Even the tone of his voice reverted back to his youth.
 
“Try it, and I'll pound you like I used to…”
 
Kagome giggled, and hugged Shimano tightly; after a moment, Yashita relented and pulled both of them to his chest. Shimano hopped back out of their arms and `popped' back to his adult size, dusting himself off. “That was nice, but best in very small doses. I have an image to keep up, you know.”
 
Yashita snickered. “Keh! News to me.”
 
Shimano chuckled. “Come on, you two love-birds. Time to go.” He picked up Kagome's jacket and held it for her; Yashita lifted her in his arms and let her go long enough to don the leather before wrapping his arm possessively around her shoulders. She slipped an arm around his waist, and then held out her other hand to Shimano, who took it with a very pleased grin. Both demons' concealment spells rippled back into place, and all three walked out of the garden together.
 
Three stories above, Kogashu spoke to Sessaki from the former's vantage point at the latter's office window. “What'll we do if she doesn't survive?”
 
The answer came back almost instantly. “She will. No other outcome is acceptable.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Hi, Kagome! Didja bring me anything?”
 
Kagome looked up from the bottom of the well and grinned at the bright green eyes sparkling down at her. “Hi, Ship-dip! Can you start pulling these up?” She had loaded the first of two cartons of field rations into the netting bag attached to the rope Miroku rigged up a few months earlier, when they were transporting what felt like tons of supplies across time before they left on their trip to Kyoto. As the kitsune grunted and the boxes moved about an inch higher, she scrambled up the rope ladder and over the rim to help him.
 
Together they hauled up the load, and then Shippo plopped over backwards with an exaggerated groan and a hand over his eyes. “I hope that's it…”
 
“Nope. Four arrow cases, and six more cartons of rations plus a ground sheet. Why don't you scoot down to the village and get Miroku?”
 
“No need, Kagome-sama.” She turned to see both Miroku and Sango strolling towards them, hand-in-hand. She blinked. Miroku was not only sporting a daisy behind his ear, but his usual robes were replaced by a conventional kosode…and his hair was down. Sango had a crown of the same flowers resting on her glossy head, and her usual attire…minus any sign of her armour underneath. The slayer blushed a very pretty shade of pink when she met Kagome's eyes, and the girl grinned.
 
“Well, good afternoon!” She refrained from further teasing and instead hugged both of them. Sango smiled like sunshine, and Miroku looked very pleased with the situation as well. He glanced at the kitsune, who was still sprawled in the grass.
 
“How is your head, Shippo-kun?” He received a rather rude noise in response.
 
Kagome prodded the pile of silk and fur with her toe. “What did you do?”
 
Somebody warded the storage hut last night…”
 
“To prevent nosey kitsunes from seeing things they shouldn't.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “And a certain snoopy kitsune found out that your sutras work just fine?”
 
“Precisely. Just before dawn, no less.”
 
“Well, you deserved that, Shippo. Inuyasha would have removed your tail if you tried that with us.”
 
The kit flashed a cheeky grin. “My tail wasn't the one in danger…”
 
“I don't know…being woken up early had its side benefits…” Sango interjected quietly and slipped her arm around Miroku's waist. The monk's lips twitched and he looped his arm around the slayer's shoulders.
 
Kagome smirked. “I can wait until the next hot spring for the juicy details…right now, we have some supplies to move. Back in two tics…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
Very late on a hot summer night, a tired hanyou pulled himself up out of the well, and grumbled about the stuffiness inside the well house. He opened the doors, hoping for some relief, but the smells of the city were intensified in the close, muggy atmosphere. Giving himself a good shake to knock off the last drops of water from his dip in the river, he cleared the steps in a single bound and strode across the courtyard. He had his hand on the front door latch when he looked around the corner of the house up at Kagome's window. It was wide open in a vain attempt to catch a cooling breeze, so he decided to use his usual entry. Springing up onto the windowsill, he misjudged slightly and had to drive his claws into the woodwork to steady himself.
 
Lucky for him, because the sight that awaited him seriously endangered his equilibrium by making all the blood in his body rush to his groin.
 
Kagome was asleep, lying on her side, one knee drawn up, giving him a very clear and intimate view of her lithe body because the blankets were on the floor, obviously having been kicked off in an attempt to stay cool. It's just like that morning I had to go stand under the waterfall, because I found her like this…but this time, I don't have to freeze my balls off… He slipped noiselessly into the room and rapidly shed his clothes, hungrily drinking in her curves, his eyes drawn to the soft, dark place visible at the top of her thighs.
 
Carefully easing onto the bed, he hovered over her for a moment, admiring her before bending his head to lay a trail of kisses from her hip to her shoulder; she squirmed a bit in her sleep. He smiled, and moved her hair away from her face, then laid down behind her, fitting himself against her. Kissing her neck and nibbling on her ear, he slipped his arm around her and snugged her tight, not exactly sure if he wanted to wake her up completely, or just enjoy having her pliant body pressed up against him. His instincts wanted action, now please, but her relaxing scent was having its effect on his mind and he pressed a final kiss to the crook of her neck and settled down to sleep after taking one of her slender hands in his.
 
Kagome woke up to both early dawn light and a low, contented purr vibrating lightly against her back; there was warm breath on the nape of her neck, an even warmer body wrapped around hers. As she blinked, a clawed thumb gently stroked her palm. She wove her fingers with his…and noted the slightly longer claws. Twisting her shoulders slightly towards him, she was rewarded with a sleepy smile and heavy-lidded amber eyes…plus a pair of vivid blue cheek stripes. “Good morning, koibito. When did you arrive?”
 
“G'morning, koishii. Really late last night. I'm glad it was so hot, because the view was spectacular…”
 
She smiled and squirmed around so that she could fully face him, their interlaced hands resting on her hip. Kissing him lightly and a bit teasingly, she giggled when he growled against her lips and kissed her with intent, rolling slightly on top of her and releasing her hand to stroke up her side to her breast. On a moment of inspiration, she laid her hand on his hip and ran her thumb over the marking curling there; he shivered and groaned, and she did it again. “Mmm…I like how you respond to that…”
 
He gave her a crooked leer, and rubbed himself against her thigh. “Wanna see how else I respond?”
 
“Yes, please. Let's try to not wake up the neighbourhood, though.”
 
Inuyasha stilled a moment, regarding her with a serious expression. “We have a long trip ahead of us, so we have to make this one last a couple of weeks…unless you're going to be braver about doing it in the bushes with me.”
 
Kagome cupped his face, brushing her thumbs over his cheek stripes and making him quiver. “Guess I'll have to, if I want to play with these.”
 
“Lemme give you a couple more reasons to consider it…like this…”
 
“Oooooh… Inuyasha…”
 
“And this.”
 
“Uuhhh…pretty…good…reasons…”< /div>
 
“This one's my personal favourite, though…”
 
“Ummm…lock the damn door, already…unless you want… a sutra slapped… on your ass… by Ojii-chan.”
 
“Would rather that you slapped my…”
 
“Can do…just lock….hey, how'd you do that so fast?”
 
“Enhanced speed, remember? Now, where was I?”
 
“Right about here, dog-boy…anything else you can do really fast?”
 
“Oi! Taking my time with this…”
 
“Mmmmm…thank goodness you aren't a rabbit youkai…”
 
“They have quick recovery, though.”
 
“How do you know?”
 
“Tell you later. Do you like this?”
 
Y-yesssss…are you trying to distract me?”
 
“Yep. Is it working?”
 
“Too well…”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Mmm-hmm?”
 
“Shut up and kiss me.”
 
“Sure… `master'.”
 
“Keh! I kinda like the sound of that, wench.”
 
“Yeah? I like the sound of `si…mmmph!”
 
“Enhanced speed, remember?”
 
Mmph-grrmph!”
 
“No biting, wench…unless it's like this…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж