InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Trust Issues ( Chapter 77 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Rumiko Takahashi has begun the Final Battle in the IY manga; I'd better get a move on to complete this fic before she finishes the series!
 
Bouquets to Forthright, Ranuel and Susanne TJ for again helping to keep the bunnies lined up in tidy rows.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 77: Trust Issues
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kagome thought as fast as her pain-addled brain would permit and whispered, “Koga, you have only one chance to get out of this alive, so I'll do the talking and you keep your mouth shut.”
 
The wolf prince turned his head slightly to see her strained, unhappy face and nodded once. Kagome squeezed his shoulder as she slid off his back into a crouch at his side, keeping her head bowed submissively as she edged towards the furious taiyoukai. She faltered slightly when Sesshomaru's barely-leashed youki crackled over her skin, but she doggedly kept moving until she could just see the tips of his boots. Tipping forward onto her knees, fighting off a wave of nausea from the colliding demonic auras as well as the vile liquid sloshing in her stomach, she slowly formed a triangle of her thumbs and forefingers on the ground and bowed down until her forehead made contact. The clearing was dead silent except for the hissing of flames under the cauldron and Inuyasha's low, threatening growl.
 
“Please spare his life, my lord.”
 
The softest scuff betrayed his footsteps until he towered over her. “You are aware of the crime his clan committed?” the taiyoukai asked sharply. Kagome nodded, her forehead still pressed against her fingers and her arms beginning to tremble with the effort of holding her weight. After a pause that seemed to last an eternity, Sesshomaru finally asked, “Why?” in a tone that fairly dripped ice.
 
“He also seeks Naraku's life,” she choked out. There was another excruciatingly long pause as her head began to throb with the same cadence as her heartbeat.
 
“Explain.”
 
“Naraku lured Koga's wolf pack to its destruction, for the sole purpose of framing Inuyasha for their deaths and setting Koga against him. They were supposed to slaughter each other, allowing Kagura to seize the Shikon Jewel shards that Koga guards.” Beads of sweat ran into her eyes, dripped off the end of her nose and chin in time with her laboured breathing.
 
“That bastard owes me for another pack, too,” Koga rumbled, daring to enter the conversation despite the presence of a homicidal taiyoukai as well as the seething hanyou that currently had his unguarded back. The wolf demon lifted his head to look up at Sesshomaru through his black bangs. “One of his creatures destroyed my betrothed's people.”
 
Kagome forgot her own precarious situation for a moment and raised her voice. “Is Ayame all right?” she rasped. I know she's alive, but I hope she wasn't injured too severely.
 
“I sent her and the remaining members of her pack to my den for safety,” Koga replied. She exhaled and sagged a little, but her sense of relief quickly vanished at Sesshomaru's next statement.
 
“Wolves are a plague on the Western Lands,” Sesshomaru said quietly, his tone remote; the acrid stench of his poison filled the air and made her stomach roil. How do I stop him? He can't do this!
 
Pushing herself up onto her hands and sitting back on her heels, she kept her head bowed while deciding on her wording. Swallowing hard, she whispered, quietly enough that only the taiyoukai could hear, “My lord, he will be valuable.”
 
His pelt brushed across her shoulder as he moved closer, repeating softly, “Will be?”
 
She risked peering up at him, willing him to see her desperate sincerity. “Yes, my lord.”
 
“You risk much for a wolf,” he murmured, with a significant look behind her that she felt obliged to follow. Turning her head, she was pinned in place by Inuyasha's dagger-laden glare. Oh, shit. If looks could kill… Gulping, she turned away before nodding weakly to show that she understood. I wonder if he'd save Inuyasha the trouble of ripping a strip off me if I threw up all over his nicely polished boots? The taiyoukai considered the situation for a few moments before gliding over to the supine wolf prince. He briefly met Inuyasha's furious gaze before finally intoning, “You live only at our sufferance, wolf.”
 
“Restraint is appreciated, your lordship,” Koga grinned toothily, some of his customary bravado returning when it became apparent that he wasn't about to meet a quick and messy death. When Sesshomaru growled lightly and walked away, breaking the tension, the wolf prince sat up on his haunches, glancing around the encampment and seemingly noticing for the first time the number of inu-youkai in his vicinity. A commotion on the far side marked the arrival of his two lieutenants, who were both mortified and terrified to find themselves immediately scruffed like a pair of cubs by burly guardsmen. “Hey! Those two are mine; hands off!” Koga shouted, springing to his feet, and they were reluctantly turned loose. Hunching their shoulders and ducking their heads, Ginta and Hakkaku slunk towards their chief.
 
Kagome was as white as a sheet, but she managed to sit more or less upright under her own steam. Wiping her brow while mentally cursing her churning stomach, she asked through clenched teeth, “Which `painted weirdo' did you run into, Koga?”
 
“He had a strange, snake-like blade… called himself Jakotsu, I think,” he shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest while studying her bruised face from a respectful distance. Ginta and Hakkaku reached him at that moment, crouched at his feet, and turned to greet Kagome. She knew her appearance really was very alarming when their jaws sagged and their eyes popped.
 
“K-Kagome-sama? Wh-what happened?” Ginta finally squeaked out.
 
She tried to smile reassuringly, but it hurt too much. “The Band of Seven happened… they got the better of us today, I'm afraid.”
 
“The pup isn't looking after you properly,” Koga growled, and she shot him a warning look, since both the Tetsusaiga and its simmering owner were still well within striking range. “Who's this `Band of Seven'?”
 
“Naraku's latest henchmen, Koga-sama,” Miroku interjected, Sango still resting in his lap. “If you have already encountered Jakotsu, then you are aware of the threat they pose.”
 
The wolf chieftain slowly nodded, rubbing his chin. “They stink like dead men and grave soil; killed off one of them already, a big ugly turd called Kokotsu. He's the one who murdered Ayame's pack.”
 
“Did you retrieve his shard?” Kagome asked.
 
“Sorry, princess. Naraku's fucking bugs grabbed it before I could bring it to you,” Koga apologized, conveniently forgetting that he had planned to use it himself.
 
“That means the Band of Seven has been reduced by at least two already,” the monk said thoughtfully. “You killed Kokotsu and Sesshomaru-sama destroyed Mukotsu… we are left with five opponents, one of whom is Jakotsu.”
 
“Plus Ginkotsu and Renkotsu,” Inuyasha snarled. “You were unconscious, so you missed the joy. I defeated Ginkotsu, but Renkotsu escaped.”
 
“Four opponents, then,” Miroku amended his list, “Jakotsu and Renkotsu among them. What is Renkotsu's weapon of choice, Inuyasha?”
 
“Steel wires to restrain his target, and then flaming liquid to burn,” the hanyou replied, suddenly aware of the keen interest of his audience. It isn't `just us' against Naraku anymore; we're part of a bigger team… but why the hell did Kagome have to invite the fucking wolf?
 
“The only way to kill them is to remove their Shikon shards; they're almost impossible to defeat otherwise,” Kagome said, cautiously probing her cheek and shuddering involuntarily as she remembered Mukotsu's response to her chopstick-attack.
 
“Tougher than fleas to exterminate, in other words,” Koga grinned. “Ya gotta stomp `em good and hard to make sure they're dead.”
 
“Just like wolves,” Inuyasha growled, Tetsusaiga twitching towards the wolf's Shard-powered legs.
 
To forestall the inevitable exchange of insults and resulting mayhem, Miroku offered, “We are journeying towards the ox-tiger, as we have information that Naraku's aura disappeared in that direction approximately three moons ago. He was defeated by Sesshomaru-sama and Inuyasha; it is our belief that he has gone to ground while he regenerates his body from whatever demons have been unfortunate enough to fall into his clutches.”
 
“Mukotsu's Jewel shard was taken by the hell wasps towards the ox-tiger,” Tsu volunteered, after a quick, nervous glance at Inuyasha.
 
“Then we'll just keep heading that way until we find the bastard,” Koga growled. “He can't hide forever.” Jabbing his toe into Hakkaku's backside, he continued, “We'll head out now and scout ahead. If we find something interesting, one of these two will report back.”
 
“You… want to be an auxiliary?” Kagome asked, slightly boggled at Koga's determination to insert himself into the command structure instead of staying as far away as possible. Was this when it started? Good thing Sesshomaru doesn't know who becomes his son-in-law in five hundred years!
 
Koga tossed his head. “We all have to work together to bring Naraku down,” the wolf prince replied, then walked up to her and crouched. Examining her injuries at close range, he added in an undertone, “and I can keep an eye on you, since dog-shit obviously isn't doing his job.” Flashing her a cocky grin, he bowed before rising and heading towards Sesshomaru.
 
While Kagome held her breath, he squared up to the taiyoukai. Their auras flared, glacier-blue against acid-green; not surprisingly, Sesshomaru's easily overwhelmed Koga's, and the wolf prince respectfully bowed to the dog lord. Hakkaku and Ginta scrambled to follow suit, nearly bruising their noses on the ground in their haste to prostrate themselves. “I accept your authority, Lord of the West,” Koga declared in a ringing voice. Sesshomaru minutely inclined his head, apparently content for now to expand his definition of `useful things' to include a few scruffy wolf youkai.
 
The young woman was just exhaling slightly when Koga shocked her all over again by stalking up to Inuyasha and stiffly executing a polite bow. “Look after her, mutt-face…” he growled quietly, leaving the implied threat unspoken. Before the hanyou could respond either verbally or with his weapon, Koga saluted Miroku and Sango, gestured to his lieutenants, and took off in a whirl of dirt and scattering guardsmen. The clearing seemed oddly empty after his departure, but after a moment, normal activity resumed.
 
“Kagome… are you all right?” Sango called softly.

“I've been better,” she responded wryly, barely resisting the urge to clutch her stomach and whimper out loud.
 
“Would you care for some more water, Kagome-sama?” Tsu offered, edging forward and extending a canteen.
 
“Thanks, Tsu-kun,” she murmured, stretching to retrieve the container and losing her balance. The arm she threw out to brace herself gave way and she hit the ground with a painful jolt, biting back a sharp cry. Strong arms were instantly around her, cradling her against a leather-covered chest… waitaminute… dragon-hide? She blinked up at Tsu's concerned face, then looked for Inuyasha.
 
The hanyou glowered at her for a long moment, his golden eyes hard, before he turned his back and stalked silently away, his entire posture screaming barely restrained fury. Kagome stared after him, then hunched miserably, her eyes pricking with tears. A clawed hand lightly brushed her bowed head before Tsu rose to his feet and carried her over to Sesshomaru. “My lord, Kagome-sama and the others should not be exposed to the weather this night while they recover. Permission to take them to the billet?”
 
The taiyoukai nodded once, and two more guardsmen stooped to assist Miroku and Sango to their feet. It was quickly apparent that they were only slightly less incapacitated than Kagome, despite having absorbed only one dose of Mukotsu's poison, so it was quickly decided that Kohire would take Sango on Yoen, while a statuesque female guard captain from Sesshomaru's patrol named Yumiko offered to carry Miroku on her tenbaryu. Needless to say, the monk was only too happy to take part in this arrangement while Sango just rolled her eyes.
 
Tsu temporarily handed Kagome off to another pair of guardsmen who buckled up her tunic and wrapped her in a cloak while he donned his own; taking custody of her once again, he leapt lightly into Misora's saddle. The blue tenbaryu twisted her sinuous neck to look back at her extra passenger, her ruff raised as she curiously snuffled the young woman's legs. Kumo trotted over, squeaking in protest, and nipped Misora's whiskers, then lightly rested his muzzle on Kagome's lap before wheeling around and heading towards Inuyasha on the far side of the clearing. The hanyou obviously intended to press his point home, because he didn't even turn around when Misora rose into the air with his mate ensconced on her back, held in another male's arms.
 
“Do we have far to go, Tsu-kun?” Kagome asked raggedly, doing her best to not burst into tears.
 
“Far enough that I suggest you try to sleep a little to pass the time, my lady,” the guardsman replied, easily detecting her distress. He gently tugged the hood of the cloak into place to shield her face from the chill wind of early evening and to give her privacy if she lost the battle with her emotions.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“So y'see, miko-sama, the headstone marking the burial place of the Seven split in half about three moons ago…”
 
“There wasn't no earthquake or storm, neither; one morning we got up and it was broken clean through!”
 
“What is most worrisome is that the bones of the Seven which were cached inside are now gone.”
 
“Miko-sama, we're afraid that they've risen from the grave and have returned to haunt this land!”
 
Kikyo examined the tumbled mound of earth and stones before her. There is no evil aura present, just like the rest of this area. If the Seven have been resurrected, I'm sure I would detect a trace of the creature that committed the foul act… but there's nothing. Tilting back her head, she gazed at the holy mountain, distantly serene in its veil of wispy clouds. Mt. Hakurei does not permit the presence of evil; indeed, I must test the limits of my ability to survive its purity in this tainted existence that I now endure. Realizing that her audience was eagerly awaiting her verdict, she turned to face the cluster of anxious villagers.
 
“I shall cleanse this grave of the evil it once held. I do not believe that you will have anything to fear from the ghosts of the Seven once I am finished.”
 
“Much obliged, miko-sama. We are in thy debt,” the headman said, bobbing up and down in his relief. Kikyo bowed gracefully and set about the simple ceremony, her mind turning over the puzzle of the holy mountain as she did so. The effects of its barrier spread far, even out to this distance… my soul collectors cannot penetrate very far within so I must make sure to leave the holy ground before nightfall each day. Completing the purification, she again bowed to the villagers and waved off their offer of a night's lodging, saying that she did not have very far to go in her journey.
 
Shouldering her bow, Kikyo resumed her trek, walking parallel to the mountain's base. While contemplating its shadowed bulk, she calculated her ability to reach its foot, leave the old samurai's topknot at the temple when she found it and return outside the mountain's influence before her soul collectors arrived with their nightly offerings. I should be able to accomplish his last request. However… her eyes narrowed and she paused. There is something… odd… about this spiritual quality. It is almost too pure... Her head snapped around as the bright aura of a Shikon shard intruded into her musings. What is this? She sped up, her straw sandals digging into the softened earth of the path with the force of her stride.
 
Very soon, a substantial, if slightly dilapidated, pavilion came into sight, most likely once a resting place for a lord making his way with his retinue between his holdings. Seated on its veranda, the Shikon shard in his neck burning pure and bright like a pink flame, a handsome dark-haired man tended to the injured arm of an elderly woman while a flock of children chattered around them. One of the little mites spotted Kikyo as she hesitated on the path, her white kosode and red hakama brilliant against the frost-bitten grasses, and scampered towards her. Bowing with childish formality, the little girl spoke in a high, sweet voice, “Welcome, miko-sama! Do you require Suikotsu-sensei's assistance?”
 
Without taking her eyes from the man, Kikyo murmured, “No, little one, but perhaps I may rest here for awhile?”
 
“Certainly! Please, come with me! I am Chiyo,” the small child said as she took Kikyo's hand.
 
The dark-haired man's smile lit up his face as the two drew near. “Do we have a guest this evening, Chi-chan?”
 
“Yes, Suikotsu-sensei!” Chiyo chirped back.
 
“I am Kikyo,” she offered, bowing politely. This man is like me. Dead, but somehow alive… his soul must be pure, because the shard shines so brightly. And yet, the only creature that has ever implanted a shard in another is Naraku…
 
The elderly woman was sent off with an escort of two young boys and Suikotsu washed his hands before turning to Kikyo with an expansive gesture. “It is growing late, Kikyo-sama. Would you partake of our hospitality this evening?” he offered, hoisting a child onto each hip, while another small girl hung onto his hakama.
 
“Thank you… I believe I shall,” she replied.
 
Chiyo, who hadn't let go of her hand the entire time, beamed widely and pulled her towards the lopsided staircase. “Would you like some tea, Kikyo-sama? I can make a cup for you and Suikotsu-sensei,” she asked brightly, and Kikyo could not find it within herself to say no to the child. The miko graciously accepted the steaming cup, then managed to surreptitiously dispose of the fragrant contents during the bedtime bustle.
 
Kikyo watched closely as Suikotsu tucked Chiyo into bed, brushing the child's hair from her forehead with a tender hand and a fond smile. “All these little ones have been orphaned by the vagaries of fate.” He turned, giving Kikyo a gentle look. “I am privileged to be both mother and father to them.”
 
She nodded solemnly and retired to the pallet set aside for her. Waiting until the doctor was asleep, she slipped outside to meet her circling soul collectors with their nightly existence-sustaining harvest. This Suikotsu bears closer examination, I think. He requires sleep and nourishment, which I do not, and yet… how came he by that shard, if he has no connection to Naraku?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The fire lit by the scouts crackled merrily at the entrance to the cave selected as the evening's billet, warming the enclosed space as well as roasting the spitted rabbits that were intended for their meal. Kagome had dozed in Tsu's arms for most of the trip, and the sky was rapidly darkening as they came in for a landing on the rocky shelf in front of the cave mouth. There was a sheer cliff above and a stomach-churning drop below; in all, it was a very secure site.
 
The three humans had been arranged at a comfortable distance from the fire, and offered containers of warm water and rags to wash up, since they all had rather smutty faces from Mukotsu's smoke. In addition, Kagome still had drops of the poison-master's dried blood dappling her skin, not to mention her own blood matting her hair. Yumiko assisted in wiping down her tunic and trousers, removing Mukotsu's scent as well as Koga's, although the demoness tactfully didn't mention the wolf youkai. She thoroughly examined Kagome's bruised cheek once the injury was cleaned of grime, and agreed that the young woman had probably suffered a hairline fracture. Sponging Kagome's hair, she managed to remove the worst of the blood, but the upshot was that the scouts agreed to find a billet convenient to a hot spring the following night if at all possible.
 
Tea had just been poured when greetings were exchanged outside, marking the arrival of the rest of the joint patrol; Kagome listened with half an ear as she fumbled with her tunic buckles. Her breasts were tender from Mukotsu's attentions, so she released the top restraint of her body armour. Slipping her fingers inside to tentatively probe her bruised flesh, she frowned when something didn't feel quite right… and then let out a dismayed shriek that left the guardsmen wincing.
 
The shards! The shards are gone!” Instantly breaking out into a cold sweat, her heart pounding in her ears, Kagome released the remaining two buckles and frantically searched the lining of the armoured vest. Futilely digging in the small pocket, she looked up with wide, panicked eyes and whispered, “They're… gone…”
 
“Undoubtedly Renkotsu,” Kohire opined. “He probably grabbed them while we were knocked out by his smoke bombs, just before he set the pavilion on fire; that's the only time he would have had a chance.”
 
“The Seven know of the Shikon shards because Mukotsu made mention of them while we were trapped in the hut with him,” Miroku mused. “The shards, and therefore Kagome-sama, were possibly their targets all along.”
 
“Or maybe they fell out when you were busy saving that fucking wolf's life and he stole `em; asshole's done that before,” snarled a harsh voice. Kagome snapped her head around to stare up at Inuyasha. “Remember, bitch?” he went on relentlessly, “Kagura found out about the night of the New Moon and we nearly got sliced up saving that worthless piece of wolf-shit… and he paid us back by grabbing the shards when our guard was down.” Kagome's expression turned stricken, her black eye and bruised cheek livid against her suddenly-pallid complexion; there didn't seem to be enough air in her lungs as Inuyasha glared down at her, his face a frozen, angry mask. The stresses of the last few days raced up into her throat and choked her as surely as Mukotsu's stubby fingers; Kagome let out a single tormented sob before ducking her head to cover her face with her hands. Sango was there a moment later, wrapping her arms around the shaking girl while baring her teeth at Inuyasha.
 
“Koga-sama also found out that same night about the New Moon, and due to his regard for Kagome-sama has held his tongue, Inuyasha,” Miroku forcefully pointed out, narrowing his eyes in warning, but to no avail.
 
“Stupid bi…” was as deep as Inuyasha dug himself before Kirara rocketed up to her full size and spat something so vile-sounding at the hanyou that he and all the guardsmen fell back a step. The neko-youkai hissed again, causing Inuyasha's ears to flatten tightly against his skull, and placed herself between the hanyou and the two women. She curled her lips away from her fangs as she crouched, her twin tails snapping angrily and the flames wreathing her paws licking as high as her shoulders.
 
The slayer locked blazing eyes on the hanyou. “Get the hell out,” she growled, “or I'll flay you myself! How dare you talk to Kagome like that! Have you already forgotten that she was twice poisoned, half-strangled and almost burned to death today? Or is your damn pride more important?”
 
Inuyasha opened his mouth to blister Sango for her defiance, but shut it just as quickly when Kirara rose from her crouch and began stalking towards him, her entire body radiating deadly intent. The hanyou suddenly had a glimmer of what he stood to lose if he persisted and backed down, but not with very good grace. “This ain't over, bitch,” he threw over his shoulder as he turned his back on his pack and stormed out of the cave. A profound silence fell in his wake, broken only by the sizzling of damp wood on the fire and Kagome's muffled weeping.
 
Miroku grimly pushed himself to his feet with the help of his staff and began heading for the entrance, only to be stopped by Sango's hand fisting in his robes as he passed. “Don't bother… he won't listen to you right now,” she said grimly. “Wait until he's had a chance to cool off.”
 
The monk hesitated, then nodded. He awkwardly knelt, laid his staff aside and wrapped his arms around both women. Kirara, her tails still fluffed up to twice their normal size, joined in the comforting by curling herself around all three humans and purring loudly. The guardsmen shook themselves and looked uncomfortably at each other; Tsu broke the stasis by helping Kohire to heave the massive rice cauldron onto the fire. “The rabbits are almost done; the rice needs to be cooked,” he said firmly, and the rest fell into line by organizing the mess tins and canteens.
 
There was an awkward moment when Sesshomaru appeared in their midst along with Jaken and keenly surveyed the tableau across the cave. Kirara merely glanced in his direction and continued rumbling soothingly; Miroku and Sango gazed at him calmly and steadily until he very slightly inclined his head and seated himself on the other side of the fire.
 
It took a very long time, but Kagome finally raised her head from Sango's shoulder, her face blotchy and her eyes red. A cool, damp cloth appeared and the slayer gently blotted her friend's eyes and cheeks while Miroku steadied the drooping young woman; all the strength seemed to have fled her slender frame. “It'll be all right,” Sango promised, “even if I have to bash that stubborn hanyou with Hiraikotsu until he apologizes…”
 
Kagome just looked at her with dead eyes; the metallic sparkle that usually enlivened her silver gaze was gone. As Sango and Miroku moved away to give her some space, she shrank back into Kirara's thick fur and stared at the floor to avoid making eye contact with anyone. She remained like that, still and unmoving, until the slayer pressed a filled mess tin and chopsticks into her hands. Kagome stared at the food but made no move to eat until Sango leaned in and gently threatened to feed her like a child if she didn't do it herself. She then ate mechanically and made no protest when a canteen filled with more of Myoga's special elixir was deposited next to her knee by an apologetic Yumiko. The young woman drank it without comment, appearing impervious to the foul taste because she waved away the clear water Yumiko offered.
 
For the rest of the evening, Kagome's mind was strangely blank and her emotions completely numb. Finally, she sighed deeply and turned to cuddle into Kirara's flank without saying a word to anyone. Sango tenderly tucked a cloak around her friend's shoulders and briefly rested her hand on Kagome's dark head before giving Miroku a significant look. The monk nodded once and rose to his feet, shaking out his robes before retrieving his staff.
 
On his way out of the cave, he was surprised by the toad-imp joining him, bearing his Staff of Two Heads over his shoulder. Wondering, he followed Jaken outside into the icy night and watched with amused interest as a pitch-dipped torch was handed over by one of the sentries and then lit by the Staff. Miroku took the flaring, spitting length of wood and then followed Jaken's pointing claw to a spot much further down the ledge. Bowing politely to the retainer, he began walking purposefully into the inky darkness, using his staff to keep track of his distance from the edge of the drop-off and the torch to avoid stubbing his toes on the sharp rocks.
 
He soon glimpsed a gleam of silver just up ahead; the hanyou was perched on the highest of a pile of tumbled boulders, Tetsusaiga leaning against his shoulder and his attention firmly fixed on the moon above. However, Miroku noted that one furry triangle was perked in his direction, so he continued picking his way along the ledge until he stood beneath the hanyou's boulder. Holding the torch in front of him, he cautiously worked his way up the rocks until he seated himself slightly below the silent hanyou. Jamming the torch into a crack, arranging his staff comfortably, the monk folded his hands into his sleeves and contemplated the moon while he organized his thoughts and waited for the hanyou to acknowledge his presence.
 
The silence stretched before Inuyasha ground out, “How is she?”
 
“Sleeping,” Miroku replied, and then waited another cautious interval before asking in a carefully neutral tone of voice, “I am interested in hearing the reasons for your outburst, Inuyasha.”
 
The hanyou bristled instantly. “Keh. Throwing herself on top of that fucking wolf, for starters,” he snarled bitterly.
 
“Koga-sama protects two shards of the Shikon Jewel and in other respects has shown himself to be honourable,” the monk reminded him.
 
“Has she forgotten already how the fucker kidnapped her and tried to claim her?”
 
“Perhaps you missed it because you were growling, but Koga-sama made mention of his betrothed's pack being decimated by one of the Band of Seven,” Miroku pointed out. “Once his initial concern for Kagome-sama's health was answered, he did not lay hands on her again; indeed, he was highly respectful of her status and treated her very much as the `princess'.”
 
“Keh. Only because he knew Sesshomaru was just looking for an excuse to gut him, no matter what Kagome might say about it,” Inuyasha snorted.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama also included you in the power structure, and Koga-sama did you honour; does this not please you?”
 
“Kagome grovelled before Sesshomaru as if the fucking wolf was her mate!”
 
Miroku eyed the hanyou before saying in disbelief, “Please do not expect me to believe that you somehow doubt Kagome-sama's loyalty to you? After all this time? I felt that she was instead acting as if the wolf prince was a wayward child.” Watching the emotions scudding across Inuyasha's face, he smoothly continued, “I was highly impressed with the fact that despite severe provocation, Kagome-sama did not retaliate with a `sit', which would have caused an extreme loss of face… in more ways than one.”
 
“Whaddya mean?” demanded the hanyou, disconcerted that the focus had swung decisively back to his behaviour.
 
“I have not been at liberty to ask her, but I am sure that Kagome-sama did not wish to embarrass you in front of your brother and his pack, and in addition, she probably saved you from picking bedrock out of your teeth since the spell appears to gain in strength the longer it remains inactivated.”
 
“Now I'm the asshole?” the hanyou grumbled, but his conscience agreed and side-stepped his best efforts to stifle it.
 
“Overcoming his obvious hostility, Sesshomaru-sama listened to what Kagome-sama had to say and spared Koga-sama's life… that says something, doesn't it?” Miroku chided. The hanyou looked around first before muttering a chain of expletives that described the taiyoukai's choice of lupine allies in lurid detail. The monk let him get it out of his system before thoroughly verbally skewering him, albeit as tactfully as possible.
 
“It seems rather odd to me that Sesshomaru-sama trusts Kagome-sama's judgement regarding a potential ally… but her own alpha does not.” Inuyasha froze and then scorched Miroku with a glare, who blandly ignored him to add, “You trust Kagome-sama with your life, but not when it comes to Koga-sama? This certainly flies in the face of my experience, which is that you trust her implicitly… always.”
 
The hanyou held his rigid posture for a little longer, then slumped slightly. The monk watched him carefully for a few minutes before murmuring, “I believe that you were angry at yourself for not protecting Kagome-sama from Mukotsu. Instead of acknowledging your true feelings, which were those of failure, you turned your anger… inappropriately… against her.” When Inuyasha twitched and stiffened again, he offered, “Do not allow your pride to damage your relationship with Kagome-sama at this crucial stage, Inuyasha. Our success is bound up in your support for each other; you wounded her just as badly with your words as Mukotsu did with his fists, but while her bruises will heal fairly rapidly, I do not know how long it will take before she recovers from the sting of your hostility.”
 
Inuyasha shifted uneasily on the boulder, but remained silent. Miroku sat quietly for a little while longer, then wearily heaved himself to his feet when the cold began seeping through his robes and into his bones. “Naraku exploits his opponents' weaknesses. If you do not make amends and instead allow this to fester in your hearts, then Naraku's victory is assured, despite all our struggles.” Taking up the torch, he made his way back down to the rock ledge, then paused. “All of our fates rest in your hands, Inuyasha. Your wife paid a horrible blood price to bring your brother into an alliance against our common foe; please do not cause her suffering be in vain because you cannot school your temper.” With that, and a `swish' of his robes, he began working his way along the ledge towards the distant cave entrance, hoping he'd make it before he collapsed.
 
About half-way along, Miroku stumbled and nearly went down. He tossed the torch away to avoid a painful burn if it should accidentally ignite his robes and left himself in darkness. However, he barely had time to formulate a curse appropriate to his situation before a guardsman arrived, pulled the monk's arm over his shoulder and pretty much carried him the rest of the way. He was deposited inside the cave mouth and immediately caught by Sesshomaru's questioning gaze.
 
“Is he reconciled?” the taiyoukai inquired.
 
“Thinking it over,” the monk replied, bowing precariously before making his way over to where Sango was rolled up in a cloak not far from Kagome and Kirara. Miroku carefully lowered himself to the rocky floor beside his wife, feeling distinctly dizzy; when Yumiko handed him a canteen of elixir, he readily drank both it and the second one she offered. Smiling in thanks, he inclined his head to her and then accepted the cloak she draped over his knees before she retreated to the other side of the cave and rejoined the comfortable-looking heap of snoozing guardsmen. Miroku smirked over how the normally fierce inu-youkai resembled nothing more dangerous than a snoring pile of puppies, and with that pleasant image in his thoughts, tucked himself against Sango's back and went to sleep.
 
Between sentry changes, in the frosty dark grey light of predawn, Inuyasha slipped silently into the cave. He met his brother's curious glance with a steady gaze before looking towards the young woman huddled against the dozing fire-cat. Sesshomaru watched the hanyou's ears droop until they were nearly invisible in his thick hair before he turned on his heel and disappeared back outside.
 
“He is extremely stubborn, my lord,” Jaken sniffed.
 
“Family trait,” the taiyoukai rumbled, quelling the toad-imp with a sharp glance. Across the room, the neko-youkai cracked one large red eye and wrinkled her black nose to express her opinion of Inuyasha's `family trait' without awakening the girl sleeping fitfully against her ribs.
 
Peace reigned for a few more hours until breakfast preparations began, with the leftover rice taking a starring role as this morning's porridge. Sango roused Kagome, but while the younger girl bestowed a small smile on the slayer, her silver eyes were still dull and lifeless. She listlessly ate her portion, then obediently choked down a couple of canteens of antidote. Tsu offered her tea, which she accepted, but she said nothing at all to anyone, not even Sango. The troopers watched this sombrely; part of their morning's entertainment over the past few weeks had been the good-natured chivvying engaged in by Inuyasha-sama's pack members as they prepared for the day, and this unaccustomed silence made them uneasy.
 
Kagome tested her sense of balance with Kirara's assistance; hanging onto the fire-cat's ruff, she wobbled up and down one side of the cave until she finally admitted defeat and agreed to ride with Tsu on Misora again, since Inuyasha was nowhere to be seen. Painfully buckling herself into her body armour, she had barely closed her tunic before Tsu draped a cloak over her shoulders and led her outside into the frost-rimed morning.
 
Kumo immediately pounced, trilling happily as he snuffled her all over just before using his head to trap her against his chest in a tenbaryu version of a hug. Kagome rested her undamaged cheek against his neck and when he released her, she wistfully eyed her weapons dangling from the pommel of his saddle. “You do not require them today, Kagome-sama,” Tsu reassured her, as he followed the line of her sight. “I am honoured to protect you.”
 
She smiled faintly up at him before suffering her cloak to be tucked snugly around her body in preparation for departure. Tsu scooped her up and leapt aboard Misora; Kagome noted that while Miroku had reclaimed his staff, Hiraikotsu was again being secured to Kurosei's saddle straps. I can't talk to Midoriko… and as nice as it would be to have a hug from Fenik right now, that would probably make Inuyasha go ballistic
 
“Ready, my lady?” Tsu's cheerful voice broke into her thoughts, and she did her best not to flinch as Misora bugled loudly just before the tenbaryu dove off the ledge into the chilly dawn.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Suikotsu-sensei! Quickly!
 
The sun had hardly risen when urgent voices and running feet roused the occupants of the ramshackle pavilion. Suikotsu rolled off his pallet and flew for the doors, pushing them open as Kikyo rose gracefully from her own meagre bedding, surrounded by the sleepy rousings of the children.
 
Two men supported a third, bleeding heavily from a deep gash in his shin. The children made themselves useful, hurriedly clearing away the pallets and blankets and bringing a basin of water and bandages as the injured man was lowered to the floor and restrained. Kikyo assisted, handing over clean rags as they worked to stop the bleeding with a tourniquet. She noticed that Suikotsu was sweating heavily, repeatedly mopping his brow with his sleeve, and that his movements seemed to be slowing. “Suikotsu-sensei… would you like me to take over for you?” she offered.
 
“Oh! Yes… thank you, Kikyo-sama.” He couldn't leave the room quickly enough, fairly diving through the open door into the fresh air outside. Kikyo completed the treatment, bound up the wound, and issued instructions for continuing care before washing up and escorting the man and his two bearers outside. Once he was on his way back to his hut, she seated herself next to Suikotsu on the veranda.
 
He glanced quickly at her and just as quickly looked away again, his cheeks a very dark shade of pink. “To be a physician and unable to stand the sight of blood is a handicap, I must admit… but it shakes me to the very core of my being,” he murmured sheepishly.
 
“This… difficulty… most certainly would be an inconvenience to your profession,” Kikyo agreed. “However, the villagers here must have been aware of your aversion from an early age, I would expect.”
 
“Oh, no… I was born in the Eastern lands, and only settled here three moons ago,” he answered. “This is a peaceful place; the wars seem to have bypassed this area for now.”
 
Kikyo eyed the handsome doctor thoughtfully, as Chiyo handed him a cup of water. He regained a bit of his colour after drinking the cold liquid and wiped his brow with a corner of his sleeve dipped into the dregs. I do not understand what is happening here. He is as dead as I, and is animated by a Shikon shard… yet there is not even a hint of evil touching his aura. Extremely puzzling…
 
“Children, today we will gather medicinal herbs once we have broken our fast; is the porridge ready?” Suikotsu asked, holding out his arms to embrace three or four giggling tots and sweeping them off the ground in a bear hug as he re-entered the pavilion.
 
Kikyo made herself scarce during the mealtime preparations, excusing her absence by expressing a desire to meditate. She noted with frank interest that Suikotsu ate and drank along with the children. His body requires sustenance, despite the shard's presence. He was not resurrected in the same way that I was.
 
She timed her return with the clean-up of breakfast and the departure of the herb-gatherers with their baskets and gauntlets to protect against thorns. Waving off Suikotsu, Chiyo and one of the older boys, she seated herself on the veranda while the remaining children scattered to their appointed tasks of assisting in the village; she surmised that this was how they earned their keep in food. The youngest children observed her with great, dark, solemn eyes, so she took it upon herself to play with them a little to pass the time. Before long, she had taught them the basic rhymes of several singing games that Kaede-chan had loved as a child, and so the morning passed pleasantly.
 
They were interrupted by the tottering arrival of one of the village elders, who was assisting his equally elderly wife; it was the same woman that Suikotsu had treated the day before. Upon reaching the foot of the stairs, both paused, peering past Kikyo and the children clinging to her robes into the building's dim interior. “'Scuse me, miko-sama, but is the lord doctor close by?” the man quavered.
 
“I am afraid not,” she crisply replied, primly adjusting the neckline of her suikan. “Will I do instead?”
 
The two elders eyed her critically before the woman grunted, “I s'pose a duck is as good as a drake,” and plunked down on the steps.
 
Kikyo suppressed a smile and began unwinding the bandage on the woman's arm. “How did you injure yourself?”
 
“Burned m'self with the fire tongs; gettin' clumsy in m'old age,” the woman answered, revealing several gaps with her cheeky grin. “Suikotsu-sensei has been very helpful with keeping this old body intact!”
 
“Our village is fortunate to have him; he's lucky to have escaped conscription so far,” her husband added.
 
“Suikotsu-sensei mentioned that he's only lived here briefly. Do you know where he practiced medicine before?” Kikyo asked, readying a fresh poultice for the angry burn.
 
“Three moons ago, he appeared… I remember, because it was at the same time as the burial mound of the Seven split open,” the man answered, seating himself comfortably for what promised to be a long story. “What's more, he had the same name as one o' the Seven!”
 
“Nasty, evil, brigands they were,” nodded the woman. “From the Eastern lands… executed in this very village! `Course, it was in ruins then, from the fightin'…”
 
“Our families took cover in the forest to avoid the slaughter and ended up witnessin' their execution; we were jus' little tykes, but I can remember the Band of Seven's `Suikotsu' like it was yesterday… and our good doctor looks nothin' like him!” the man proclaimed with complete conviction.
 
At Kikyo's puzzled glance, the woman leaned in and stage-whispered, “There were some in the village who got all fussed up, figurin' that Suikotsu-sensei was a ghost released from the burial mound, considerin' how he just showed up, all sudden-like.”
 
“But you say that he is not…?”
 
Both elders shook their heads emphatically and glanced at each other. “Suikotsu of the Seven was a demon, miko-sama!”
 
“Is that so?” Kikyo murmured, wrapping a fresh bandage around the woman's arm and tying it off. Interesting… I will remain here for a while and observe the `good doctor', I think.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They stopped at midday for a quick meal of onigiri and another canteen of antidote for each of the humans. Kagome was recovered enough to balk at the odour of the liquid, but she pinched her nose and drank it anyways. Inuyasha kept his distance again, but she had to work really hard to make herself care. His harsh words from the previous night still hurt and she didn't want to give him another opening. Instead, she engaged in desultory chit-chat with Miroku and Sango as they walked out their stiffness, commented on the how the weather had changed from rain to overcast and cold, considered strategies against their enemies and speculated about their accommodations for the evening.
 
Kumo trotted up to Kagome, nickering happily; she scratched under the tenbaryu's forelock and around his leathery ears until she had the creature practically cross-eyed with pleasure.
 
How are you doing, Nixie? Midoriko wants to know.
Sore, aching and suffering from halitosis due to this absolutely delicious antidote…
Suffering from an acute case of bad temper, too, from the sounds of it.
Yeah, well… you didn't have the light of your life call you a `stupid bitch' in front of everyone, either.
Have you given any thought as to why he lost his temper?
Koga brings out the best in him; what else is there to say?
I know you had to do it, but damn! I could barely restrain myself!
 
“Kagome? Would you like some tea?” Sango asked, breaking into the other woman's internal conversation.
 
“Yes, thanks… will it kill the taste of Myoga-san's concoction?”
 
“Not completely, but it helps,” the slayer smiled as she handed over a steaming cup.
 
They sipped in silence before Kagome wondered, “Where is Myoga-san, anyways?”
 
“I can answer that, my lady,” Kohire answered as he came over with another cup of tea for Miroku. “Sesshomaru-sama sent him back to the fortress with a couple of couriers. We're running low on certain rations, so they will return with supplies.”
 
Kagome couldn't help giggling despite her bruised ribs. “I'll bet Momiji-san just loves Myoga-san!”
 
The guardsman looked around carefully before lowering his voice and whispering conspiratorially, “She prefers fleas to toad-imps, if the truth be told.”
 
“So do I,” Kagome whispered back, while Sango looked politely clueless. Realizing that the slayer was left out of the loop, Kagome told her about the formidable female demoness who had once been Inuyasha's childhood nursemaid and now oversaw the daily operations of the Western Fortress. She also realized with a pang that she missed Momiji's good advice regarding the handling of prickly male inu-hanyou. If she told Inuyasha to `get over' himself, he would, or risk having his ears pulled!
 
All too soon, they were back in the air, after some reshuffling of tenbaryu and their riders. Miroku had graciously thanked Yumiko-san for her assistance and reclaimed a thoroughly delighted Kurosei for himself, then was joined by Sango with Kirara's approval. Kagome briefly considered testing herself on Kumo, but that would mean sharing his saddle with Inuyasha, and the hanyou certainly didn't seem inclined to have anything to do with her. Not to mention that my stomach is sore from being punched, plus I must have some impressive bruises from where Mukotsu threw me into the wall. Better to let Tsu do all the hard stuff, like staying upright, since Inuyasha doesn't seem to be in any hurry to apologize.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The scouts outdid themselves that night. Not only were three deer carcasses roasting over open pits when the rest of the troops arrived, but instead of just a single hot spring, they had located a picturesque series of steaming pools stepping down a gentle slope that also happened to be convenient to a dry, easily-defensible cave. The tenbaryu no sooner had their tack removed than they were wallowing in the largest pool, sending water splashing everywhere as they chirped and twittered like a flock of birds.
 
The pool above that was turned into an impromptu laundry by the guardsmen; Kagome was bodily prevented from washing her own clothing by Yumiko, who promptly detailed that job to a junior officer. The youth was also loaded down with Sango's and Miroku's garb before being sent off to `live the adventure' of military drudgery. While others organized the evening meal, the humans were bustled up to the very top pool with towels and a change of clothing apiece as well as torches to light their way back down in the dimming daylight.
 
“Or just give a holler and the tenbaryu will fetch you,” offered a cheery Tsu as he probed the pool for unfriendly youkai; finding none, he saluted and hopped over the edge. Sango watched the fair-haired guardsman lightly bound down the natural staircase formed by the terraces that held the rock-girt pools while Kirara merely sniffed at this display of canine agility as she stretched out on a flattened, heated stone.
 
“Well, my lovely ladies, shall I give you my back while you prepare your fair selves to enter the water?” Miroku asked jovially. Kagome instantly turned bright red at the thought of sharing the hot spring with the monk without Inuyasha there as well, but firmly clamped down on that as irrelevant to their situation.
 
“Sure, Miroku… if Kagome's all right with it…” Sango agreed hesitantly, noting the other girl's flaming cheeks.
 
The smile she gave them was only the tiniest bit forced. “Sure… no problem!” she proclaimed, perhaps a trifle too cheerfully, but went ahead and unbuckled her tunic. Miroku turned around and inspected the plants flourishing in the microclimate created by the steamy air; delicate vines clambered vigorously over the slick rocks in defiance of the frosty air. He almost looked over his shoulder when he heard Sango's exclamation of dismay over the full array of Kagome's bruising, but caught himself in time to avoid injury.
 
“All right, houshi-doushi… it's safe for you to turn around!” Kagome called. Miroku grinned and leaned his staff up against the rock face, then began untying his purple over-robe. There was a panicked squeak and a loud splash as she whipped around in the water.
 
“I am fairly sure that I will not endanger your eyes, Kagome-sama,” the monk teased, “but I thank you for your modest regard all the same.” He stripped and carefully eased himself into the steaming water, very conscious of Sango's appraising look. Smirking at his wife, he pulled the thong out of his hair and ducked his head, making quite a show of flexing as he surfaced and smoothed the wet strands away from his face. The slayer obligingly ogled until he slipped back underwater… then yipped when her ankle was tugged. Catching hold of his floating hair, she pulled him up to the surface. Miroku gave in perhaps a little too easily while stealthily running his hands up her body, from her thighs to her underarms until they were nose-to-nose. She turned a lovely shade of pink because he had double handfuls of very soft, rounded, luscious female flesh.
 
“Ah, er… Miroku…” she stuttered, shooting a panicked glance at Kagome, who was determinedly looking the other way. The monk just grinned and made sure his hands were out of sight underwater, but Sango's embarrassed squirming gave broad hints as to where they were wandering.
 
Kagome flicked water at the couple and began moving towards the lip where the water from their pool overflowed into the one below it. “Get a room… or a rock, I suppose,” she called over her shoulder as she retreated.
 
“Of course. Thank you, Kagome-sama, for your understanding,” Miroku answered as he wrapped his arm around Sango's waist and towed the blushing but unresisting slayer through the water until they were concealed behind the tall, glistening rocks jutting up from the centre of the hot spring.
 
Sinking underwater and wincing as the hot water came into contact with her blackened eye, Kagome realized she'd left her toiletries in Kumo's saddlebags. Grumbling about that as well as gingerly probing her hip and shoulder where she'd made forceful contact with the hut's wall, Kagome surfaced and did her best to shut out the sounds of her friends enjoying themselves by concentrating on the soft murmur of flowing water. Resting her folded arms on the rocky verge, she pillowed her head and allowed her body to float. Watching the water trickle over and through the rocks, she was struck by a deep sense of melancholy. My time here is also trickling away, minute by minute, hour by hour… only a couple of weeks left, if Sota is right. Sighing, she pulled her knees under her and sat upright, then began finger-combing the length of her hair, frowning absently when she hit a tangle. Now, what should I do about dog-boy? I can handle being called a `bitch' but I really object to the `stupid' being added
 
Nixie, you don't have much longer to be with him, as you just pointed out.
Doesn't mean I should forgive him for being a jerk, particularly in front of everyone.
His words were pretty harsh, I agree, but they only made him look bad.
If I lost my temper and called him a `stupid dog', it would wound him to the quick; I'd never do it because I respect him. Why didn't he stop himself?
Perhaps he feels that you made him look bad in front of his brother?
Maybe, but I stand by my actions. Koga has to survive to reproduce himself with Ayame… even though his sons are pains in the ass.
For what it's worth, I think the pup felt guilty about failing to protect you again.
So he lashes out at me to make himself feel better? Nice.
What'll you do if he doesn't come around?
Be really lonely for the next few weeks, I guess. Maybe that's why Yashita is so affectionate? He has some bad attitude to make up for?
Look sharp… you're about to have company of a canine persuasion.
 
Familiar youki `pinged' off her consciousness at the same moment she heard Inuyasha's sharp intake of breath, probably from his first glimpse of the bruising on her back. She set her jaw before turning to see a definitely upset hanyou staring at her across the spring, a kit bag dangling from his claw tips.
 
“What do you want?” Kagome quietly asked, lifting her chin.
 
“Uh… you forgot your… stuff,” he mumbled, suddenly finding the rocks at his feet extremely interesting.
 
“Thanks.” When he gave no sign of dropping the bag and retreating, Kagome made a split-second decision. Slowly rising to stand in the hip-deep water, she waded towards him, angling her body into the light of the torch so all of her bruises were plainly visible, from her black eye and damaged cheek to the `necklace' marring the column of her throat, to the two sets of five dark ovals ringing both of her breasts and the hazy marking just below her ribcage that testified to the strength of Mukotsu's punch.
 
Inuyasha's mouth dropped open as he realized the full extent of her injuries; her stony look as she reached for the kit bag registered just in time for him to hand it over without comment. Kagome made no effort to hide herself as she unzipped the bag and extracted her hair products; it wasn't until she turned away and began moving back across the spring that he found his voice.
 
“He really hurt you.”
 
“Lucky I don't break that easily,” she tossed over her shoulder before setting the bottles on the edge of the pool and sinking down into a crouch. Again dunking her head, she wiped her bangs out of her eyes and worked shampoo into her scalp. There was silence from her audience; she wondered if Sango and Miroku were listening in, or were too involved to notice the confrontation occurring on the other side of the rocks. Kirara had made herself scarce as well, but she had no doubt that the neko-youkai was close by in case intervention was required.
 
The hanyou watched the young woman wash her hair, the marks of his failure stark against her tender skin. When she disappeared under the water to rinse, he cleared the width of the pool in a single leap, but hung back instead of acting on his impulse to jump in there and soothe each and every bruise with his tongue. When she surfaced, water streaming down her sleek body, she shot him a flat look that didn't exactly inspire encouragement but he finally worked up enough nerve to suggest, “Can't you just `sit' me and we'll go from there?”
 
Kagome's mouth twisted. “Smashing your face into the ground to make myself feel better? I don't think so; that's your tactic.”
 
Inuyasha flinched away from her sour tone before murmuring, “I'm sorry, Kagome.”
 
She took a deep breath to steady the heartbeat suddenly pounding in her chest and growled, “Not good enough.”
 
His eyes were hidden behind his bangs and his fists inside his sleeves, but she was willing to bet his claws were digging into his palms. “I apologize; I shouldn't have said that.”
 
The young woman turned her back and stood up, sloshing determinedly across the pool. “Public humiliation, but a private apology? I don't think so.” She climbed out and wound up her hair in one towel, then wrapped her body in another before glaring at the hanyou. “You insulted me in front of the entire patrol as well as your brother; do you have the balls to apologize to me in front of them?”
 
“I'm supposed to overlook how you were plastered to that scrawny wolf?” he riposted, baring his fangs, but stopped at her calm demeanour.
 
“Yes,” she said simply while stepping into a pair of fire-rat hakama before letting the towel drop and again exposing her injuries as she shook out the matching suikan. “Just like I overlooked your protection of Kikyo after she gave our chunk of Jewel shard to Naraku.” When Inuyasha began to protest, she simply held up her hand. “Sesshomaru chose to trust me. If that isn't good enough for you, then you're not leaving me many options.”
 
“What kind of options?” he demanded suspiciously.
 
Kagome shrugged as she dressed herself in the soft black fur, and without really thinking through the potential repercussions, suggested flippantly, “Maybe I'd have to join Sesshomaru-sama's pack, since my current alpha has publicly lost faith in me. That could get messy, though, since I suppose I'd have to duel his senior female guard to establish my rank, and Yumiko-san looks pretty tough.”
 
“Like fucking hell you will,” he snarled, his aura flaring. “Why are you making this so fucking difficult?”
 
Her head snapped up and her own aura flared; he took a step back even though there was a hot spring in between them. “I could ask you the same question, Inuyasha,” she growled. “We've all had a really shitty few days, but you're the only one who had a temper tantrum.”
 
At that moment, Kumo thumped down beside the angry girl and attempted to calm her by cooing softly and rubbing his muzzle against her arm. Kagome welcomed the break in the tension and put the tenbaryu between her and the hanyou. Her sash was still looped around Fenik's hilt; she took the opportunity to retrieve it and secure the suikan around her slender waist. Donning her boots, shaking out her hair and gathering up her dirty clothing in the wet towels, she raised her voice. “Miroku… Sango? I'm going now with Kumo; the torch and Kirara are here if you need them.”
 
Shouldering her bow and quiver and sliding Fenik into her sash, she waited for the stallion to bend his knee so she could swing up onto his back, wincing a little as her bruised girl parts collided with the saddle. She gave Inuyasha a long, steady look before clucking to Kumo; the tenbaryu spun smartly around on his hindquarters and leapt into the air, then swooped down to the lowest pool. The smooth glide was over too soon for her to become chilled from the wind of their passage… or think up an alternative to involving Sesshomaru.
 
As she dismounted, the junior officer took the bundle of clothing and wearily saluted; she thanked him for his help. Straightening her tunic, she began composing what she was going to say to extract herself from the corner she'd neatly backed herself into. Spotting the taiyoukai seated in a relaxed pose against the cliff face not far from the lively commotion around the cooking pits, she began heading towards him while hoping for a flash of inspiration. Sesshomaru glanced her way, and she was fairly sure that she detected a glint of amusement in his yellow eyes. Crap. I wonder how much of our domestic dispute he overheard? Double crap. What if he turns me down?
 
Kagome never did find out if Sesshomaru was of a mind to entertain himself at her expense, because a flash of red and silver intervened. Inuyasha's expression was unreadable; her hand automatically went to Fenik's hilt. I won't submit if he tries to pull any of that submission hold shit with me like he did at the fortress! He has no one to blame but himself!
 
The hanyou instead held her guarded gaze for a long moment, before turning to look at his brother. The taiyoukai stoically met his wordless enquiry, giving no sign of desiring to intervene at this point, so Inuyasha turned back to the tense young woman. Lowering his eyes in a show of deference, he bowed very formally and very correctly, then in a loud, clear voice that instantly brought all activity to a crashing halt, he said, “This Inuyasha begs forgiveness for the insult to your honour, Kagome-sama.”
 
Kagome could only stare at him, her mouth opening and closing like a carp, until she collected herself enough to crisply return the conciliatory gesture while Momiji's voice echoed in her head. He overcame his pride to return to you, so let him have his way in other things. “Apology accepted, Inuyasha-sama,” she replied, wondering with some trepidation what it would cost her this time. When they had both straightened, she took a deep breath, looked him dead in the eye before deliberately tilting her head to the side and baring her throat.
 
There was an answering low rumble of approval, then Inuyasha turned to a carefully-neutral Sesshomaru. “Excuse us, brother, but I must speak to my mate in private.” The taiyoukai's gaze flicked to the girl; she kept her eyes downcast, her scent radiating nervousness. He gave the hanyou a long, steady look that was intended to remind Inuyasha that they were both under his authority and that he would not be pleased if the miko was upset any further this day. The hanyou nodded in acknowledgement before holding out his hand to Kagome. She laid her fingers across his palm and followed without resistance when he pulled her away from Sesshomaru, back towards the hillside.
 
He went down on one knee, indicating that she should climb on his back; Kagome bit her lip and obeyed. She winced when he hiked her up a little higher and various areas of bruised flesh complained, but said nothing when he launched up the rocky face, jarring her with each landing. Reaching the top of the slope, he took off into the foliage, dodging through the dark forest until they came to rest on an extremely broad branch of an ancient magnolia. Inuyasha allowed her to slide off his back, then waited until she had found her footing on the gnarled wood before letting go long enough to turn around and take hold of her hand.
 
Drawing her towards him as he backed up against the trunk of the tree, he watched her carefully as he hooked his claw into the straps holding her bow and quiver over her shoulder. Kagome averted her eyes, allowing him to remove the weapons and reach up to hang them from a handy branchlet. Inuyasha pulled Tetsusaiga out of his sash and poked it into her quiver; he then waited patiently for her to surrender Fenik. Kagome sighed quietly and handed over her sword, feeling strangely vulnerable even though she was fully equipped with her spiritual power. Gentle claws tilted up her chin; she reluctantly met his intense gaze.
 
“I fucked up, Kagome… I'm so sorry,” he whispered, stroking his fingertips along her jaw. “I'll make it up to you, I swear.” Despite the heartfelt tone, she turned her head to avoid his lips as he sought to kiss her. It was his turn to sigh, his hand briefly brushing over her shoulder and down her arm before retreating into his sleeve. “I was so pissed off that you were hurt again, and then that fucking wolf showed up… it doesn't excuse what I said, though. I shouldn't have taken it out on you.” They stayed like that, standing close together without touching, their hearts beating a rapid counterpoint to their slow breathing, for several long minutes until Kagome swallowed her own pride.
 
“I know that I upset you because of how I chose to protect Koga, and I apologize for that, but it was the best I could do at the moment.” Exhaling, she quietly added, “If I had defied Sesshomaru by challenging him instead of submitting, it would have been an even bigger mess. Inuyasha, please trust me when I say that Koga is necessary.” When he lightly nuzzled her bangs, she moved forward until her forehead was pressed into his shoulder and slowly brought up her arms to circle his waist.
 
Inuyasha caught her against him in near-desperate hug and buried his nose deeply in her damp hair. Dammit! The stink of that bastard's poison smoke really clings… it almost completely masks her scent! Unaware of the hanyou's consternation, Kagome listened to his heart pound in perfect sync with hers, and gave into the overwhelming sense of security that she found in his embrace.
 
As she relaxed into his solid warmth, the stresses of the past few days slid away along with the tears flowing down her cheeks. Inuyasha began rumbling deep in his throat, one hand working its way up under her hair to soothingly rub her back in long strokes. As he held the quietly crying woman, he became aware that they had company. Raising his head, he looked directly into two pairs of narrowed red eyes, one set directly above the other and hovering only a few feet away.
 
Kirara jumped down from her perch between Kumo's ears and padded along the branch towards the couple, her tails swishing. She leapt lightly up onto Inuyasha's shoulder, digging in her claws for balance perhaps a bit harder than necessary, then shot him a look before leaning down and delicately sniffing Kagome. Apparently satisfied that the woman was not crying out of fear, anger or frustration at something else Inuyasha had done, the neko-youkai flicked her tails in his face, crouched, and launched off his shoulder onto the branch above, where she settled herself into a fork in the wood right over their heads. The hanyou eyed the gently swaying twin tails dangling within yanking distance and reluctantly admitted that he understood why the fire-cat was there. I screwed up, big time, and I just hope that the others will forgive me if Kagome does.
 
Kumo snorted a pungent cloud of smoke and dropped out of sight until a soft `thump' indicated that he'd landed below them on the ground. Inuyasha craned his neck to see the tenbaryu take up a position of quiet watchfulness against the base of the tree. She's adored and protected by so many different species of youkai; dogs, foxes, cats, tenbaryu and wolves. Shows how unique she is, and how lucky I am to have her for my own.
 
The storm that dampened his fire-rat seemed to be subsiding; he tucked her more securely into his arms and whispered, “Sit down with me.” Giving her a moment to collect herself, he carefully collapsed both of them onto the branch and arranged her in his lap, covering her with his sleeves against the chill of the encroaching night. Kagome's breathing was still slightly uneven, but she didn't resist when he again tilted up her face and began tenderly licking away her tears. Delicately kissing her bruised eye, his lips skirted the swollen crest of her cheekbone where the worst damage had occurred before pausing over her mouth. When she closed the tiny gap to press her lips to his, he prolonged the sweet contact until breathing became unavoidable.
 
Her expression was soft when they parted; he gazed into her silvered eyes while caressing her cheek with the backs of his claws. Trailing his fingers down her throat, he lightly brushed over Mukotsu's fingerprints. Kagome closed her eyes and lifted her chin to give him better access; Inuyasha quickly bent his head and flicked tiny licks along the uneven line of marks before kissing the tip of her chin. She straightened her neck and nestled against his shoulder with a small sigh, then tried not to react negatively when he gently laid his hand over her breast.
 
“The bastard was really rough on you,” he growled, and she realized he was merely acknowledging that he'd seen the bruises on her breasts, not that he had further intentions. Her impression was borne out when his hand then dropped to splay over the spot on her torso where Mukotsu's fist had connected before sliding around her waist to cradle her close.
 
“It could have been much worse,” she quietly replied, and his arms tightened in response. “He was trying to reach my trouser clasp, but the buckles on my body armour delayed him long enough for help to arrive.” Kagome stopped as a fierce growl rumbled from Inuyasha's chest
 
“He tried to rape you?” the hanyou snarled, his eyes bleeding red. “That's why his fucking stench was all over you!”
 
Tried being the operative word, Inuyasha,” she quickly interjected, nuzzling his throat in a reassuring manner.
 
“I saw you flinch when you landed on Kumo's back at the hot spring; are you bruised there because of him, too?” he demanded. She nodded, and listened to a stream of violent curses as she was gathered even closer. “Fuck me, anyways… then I attack you verbally… maybe you should've `sat' me; might've cracked my skull enough to let in some sense…” he muttered, guilt replacing his rapidly-draining anger.
 
The girl in his arms laughed quietly and regarded him with a wry look. “Doubt it, dog-boy; your skull's too thick to be cracked that easily,” Kagome commented, smiling gently to take some of the sting out of her words, then lightly tugged on his sidelock to bring his mouth down to hers. The kiss was long and intense and might have led to further reconciliatory activities, but unfortunately they were interrupted.
 
Kurosei twittered anxiously and almost apologetically as he hovered a several feet away. Above their heads, Kirara meowed in reply before yawning and stretching elaborately. Dropping onto Inuyasha's shoulder, she peered down at Kagome and cocked her head, then walked along his arm until she could rub her cheek against the girl's jaw, purring mightily the whole time. Meeting Inuyasha's wary gaze, the neko-youkai reached up and tapped his nose with a velvety black paw before jumping down into Kagome's lap. Amused red eyes twinkled up at baffled silver and gold; Kirara kept them in suspense while she thoroughly wiped her face and ears before finally passing on Kurosei's message in a series of purring trills.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and woofed at the smug fire-cat, then kissed Kagome's forehead. “Apparently the deer is cooked to a turn and our presence is required,” he informed her with a smile.
 
“I'd look forward to dinner more if dessert wasn't Myoga-san's antidote,” she replied, wrinkling her nose while holding onto Kirara as the hanyou stood both of them up on the branch.
 
“Do you still feel sick?” he asked worriedly, lightly pressing his palm to her brow.
 
“Much better than before we talked,” she reassured, and went up onto her toes for a kiss.
 
Inuyasha swept her against him, kissing her deeply and with intense longing before whispering, “I love you, Kagome. I wish we could…”
 
Mrowr!” The tightly-entwined couple started, then jumped apart to give a rather squashed Kirara some air. The rumpled fire-cat gave both of them an exasperated look as she attempted to straighten her whiskers, while Inuyasha did his best not to snicker. Instead, he retrieved their weapons, scooped up both the girl and the neko, then leapt off the branch to land on the ground beside Kumo, who was deep in conversation with Kurosei.
 
“I'd rather spend some time just with you,” the hanyou murmured, kissing her again once they were mounted on Kumo's back and skimming through the trees. “I want this to be over, so we can get on with our lives.”
 
Kagome burrowed into his chest, fighting down the familiar prickle of tears as the reality of their situation intruded, and hugged him fiercely. Be careful what you wish for, Inuyasha… it'll be over sooner than you think, but without the ending you hope for…
 
That night, even though she was securely wrapped in Inuyasha's arms, Kagome had the first nightmare of a series that would haunt her in the weeks to come. The hanyou was awakened by a suddenly pounding heartbeat in his chest, as if he'd abruptly gone into a flat-out run. Alert and tuning his senses for danger in the dim cave, the hanyou quickly realized his mate was in the grip of some dark imagining. Her lips moved and her limbs twitched as her heart rate accelerated until she sat bolt upright with a wordless cry that roused several guardsmen and attracted Sesshomaru's attention.
“Kagome… Kagome… its all right… wake up, koishii,” Inuyasha urged, gently patting her cheek until her wild eyes fastened on his. Kagome stared at him for a long moment, then she buried her face in his chest, clinging tightly to his suikan with whitened knuckles. He rocked her gently, rumbling soothingly, while she shivered and whimpered.
 
“What did you dream of?” he asked softly, when she finally relaxed her death-grip on his robes and her breathing had calmed.
 
She shook her head, whispering so softly he had to strain to hear it, “It was dark and I was alone… trapped… couldn't reach you…”
 
“Shhhh, koishii… it was just a bad dream… you're safe with me.” Inuyasha tucked the trembling girl under his chin and held her tight until she fell into a restless slumber, but found he could not easily follow. Why do I feel so cold? It was just a dream, nothing more. He rested his cheek against her dark hair, but even her familiar scent couldn't soothe him because despite the bath earlier that evening, the disturbing death-smell of the Seven clung to her like a shroud.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Yes, it's the ever-handy Foreshadowing Nightmare plot device… but it probably doesn't mean quite what you think!