InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Taking Sides ( Chapter 79 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: In the anime, Banryu comes equipped with a gee-whiz `Dragon Hammer/Lightning' attack that rivals the Tetsusaiga's `Wind Scar'. For the purposes of this fic, Bankotsu's abilities are the same as in the manga; his weapon is human-forged without any magic tricks. It is his Jewel-enhanced speed and power in wielding it that makes him such a formidable opponent for Inuyasha. When Banryu acquires shards of its own, it becomes stronger, not demonic.
 
If you are interested in real-life equivalents to fantastical weapons, Banryu most closely resembles the Chinese zhan ma dao, a giant double-edged sword used by foot soldiers against horsemen in the Sengoku Jidai era; there is a Japanese version, called a zanbatou, which makes an appearance in Rurouni Kenshin. Existing examples of this weapon are so heavy that there is some doubt it was actually used in battle; thanks to Ranuel for the research.
 
Bouquets and much appreciation to Forthright, Nokomarie, Ranuel and Susanne TJ for vetting this chapter on a very tight deadline.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 79: Taking Sides
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Dammit, Jakotsu… couldn't you have left even one woman alive?” Bankotsu demanded, his hand fisted on his hip and an annoyed scowl darkening his face.
 
“Here, big brother… allow me to pour your sake,” the swordsman offered, dipping the ladle into the brimming barrel and tipping the liquid into a shallow porcelain cup. Bowing his head, he extended it to Bankotsu with both hands. Mollified, the youth accepted the cup and seated himself next to Jakotsu; when the swordsman peered coyly up through his bangs, Bankotsu affectionately ruffled the glossy hair.
 
“I forgive you, little brother. At least with you in charge of the ladle, I don't have to worry about my drink being poisoned.” As he knocked back the cup, his eyes were fixed on the distant figure of Renkotsu lounging among the bodies piled up around the destroyed gatehouse.
 
“They certainly took good care of Banryu, didn't they?” Jakotsu commented, admiring the giant weapon lying across the bloodied floorboards of the veranda.
 
“I killed them quickly to express my thanks,” Bankotsu answered, kicking away a severed leg that was bleeding a little too close to the weapon.
 
“How is it that you can now wield Banryu with only one hand?” Suikotsu asked from a nearby pile of gently smoking rubble, where he sat cleaning the blood from his claws in the pale sunlight. Renkotsu perked up and moved closer in an attempt to overhear the answer; Bankotsu's eyes narrowed slightly as he quickly thought through his options.
 
“The Jewel shard gave me some extra strength; haven't you lot noticed the difference?” he asked, deliberately avoiding the `whole truth' so as not to give away his superior position just yet. “Feels better than when we were alive the first time, doesn't it?”
 
Gershhh!
 
“That's right, old friend,” he toasted the human tank. “We'd be in a right pickle without your new armament. Nice job on that, Ren-kun.” Inwardly smirking at the way his subordinate appeared torn between preening at the compliment or simmering over the familiarity, Bankotsu held out his cup for a refill.
 
“Bankotsu… big brother… when will I see my beloved Inu-chan again?” Jakotsu asked with a simpering, hopeful smile as he wielded the ladle.
 
“Tell me about your new love,” he teased, his grin widening as Jakotsu's eyes instantly went dreamy and the ladle plopped unnoticed back into the sake barrel.
 
Clasping his hands and laying his cheek against them, the swordsman heaved a dramatic sigh before crooning, “He's simply the most beautiful opponent I've ever had… long silver hair, flashing golden eyes, the cutest little doggy ears…”
 
“Sounds like you've got it bad,” Bankotsu mock-sympathized. Reaching out, he patted the swordsman's shoulder while continuing, “You'll be seeing your puppy soon enough, I'm sure… right, Renkotsu?”
 
The fire-master straightened slightly while affecting a bored look. “Inuyasha has a sharp nose, and so do those youkai he drags around with him. Don't you worry your pretty head, Jakotsu; he'll sniff out this castle.”
 
Suikotsu wandered over to join the imbibers and then took a second cup up to Ginkotsu. Renkotsu stooped to examine a fine sword, still tightly grasped in the owner's disembodied hand, then cast a critical eye over the rest of the tightly-packed bodies of the castle's sentries, all cut down by Jakotsu's blade before they had a chance to defend themselves. A few flies began to circle.
 
“Hel-lo… what's this?” Suikotsu stood up on Ginkotsu's deck, shading his eyes to peer down the mountainside.
 
“See somethin', Doc?” Bankotsu asked. Renkotsu moved back to the gatepost for a better view.
 
“Incoming whirlwind?” the fire-master called, wrinkling his brow.
 
A boiling cloud of dust was indeed reaching up into the afternoon sky, moving rapidly along the switchback access road. Suikotsu jumped down from Ginkotsu and began to leisurely don his claws, while Bankotsu set aside his cup, stretched and scratched himself in embarrassing places. Jakotsu patted his hair, straightened his kimono and pinched his cheeks.
 
Bankotsu observed this primping and asked in amusement, “Does your puppy usually arrive in a cloud of dust, Ja-chan?”
 
“No… I fear it is merely Koga, but he's pretty hunky, too!”
 
Suikotsu shook his head at the swordsman as he hid himself behind a pile of bodies, while Renkotsu whistled tunelessly as he strolled back towards Ginkotsu, his hands clasped behind his head. At that moment, a blast of compressed wind sent bloodied debris flying as a lone figure stalked out of the eye of the storm. Bankotsu and Jakotsu politely applauded.
 
“Nice entrance, wolf-boy!” the swordsman cat-called, openly admiring Koga's powerfully muscled legs.
 
The wolf prince prowled forward, his fangs glinting and his blue eyes narrowed as he attempted to discern how many enemies he faced besides the two in front of him. Of the strange wheeled contraption he took no notice; the stench of death hanging heavily in the air over the destroyed castle did a fine job of confounding his nose. “Where's the rest of the Band?” he snarled by way of an opening. “Have those damned dogs already reduced you to two?”
 
“Hell, no! We've been reduced by two… and I believe I personally owe you for my brother Kokotsu, don't I?” Bankotsu drawled.
 
“Don't fuck with me… where's Naraku?” Koga growled, his aura rising.
 
Instead of replying, Bankotsu looked at Jakotsu. “Naraku doesn't seem to be very popular, does he?”
 
“He does seem to attract a fair amount of hatred, now that you mention it.”
 
Dammit! Where is that rat bastard?” the wolf prince demanded, surrounded by eerie glacier-blue light. “If you won't give up the information, I'll kill you!” As he launched, the ground beneath his feet was cut away by a set of metal claws while coils of sharpened steel whirled around him.
 
“C'mon, wolf-boy… show us what's under that cute little kilt!” Jakotsu jeered as his sword whizzed back into place. When Koga landed, sneering, ready to kick off again, a change in the air pressure gave him the slimmest margin of warning as the earth exploded.
 
Tsk. He's quick,” Renkotsu commented. “We'll have to try harder, Ginkotsu.”
 
Gersh!
 
As Koga righted himself among the crashing rocks and smoke, he was confronted by a huge, gleaming weapon casually wielded by Bankotsu. “Five of you bastards, huh?” the wolf prince smirked, masking his consternation. “Inuyasha better hurry up, or there won't be any of you left!”
 
Bankotsu smiled pleasantly, but his eyes remained cold. “No wonder you're so agile; those two shards really give you some power. Naraku mentioned that you might be a tricky opponent, but that's okay; I want to test out my Banryu.” In a motion almost too fast to follow, the huge blade slashed downward and across, aiming at Koga's legs. The wolf youkai went airborne, but the veranda behind him took the brunt, and half the remaining building came crashing down as the supports were sliced through.
 
Fuck! What is up with this weirdo? The split second it took him to process that thought nearly cost Koga his life as he was again targeted by Ginkotsu's cannons. He glimpsed the missiles leaving the twin barrels and just managed to twist his body enough to avoid a hole through his midsection. Off balance, he cartwheeled through the air, barely missing Suikotsu's claws, until a coil of razor-edged steel looped around him. Curling first into a ball, he used his greaves and gauntlets to knock away Jakotsu's blade, but that manoeuvre put him on a collision course with Bankotsu's oversized weapon. Dammit! I'm so screwed!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Is that it?” Sango called over the rush of wind, pointing at the castle nestled into the distant hillside and emitting small puffs of what appeared to be smoke over the battlements.
 
“Yes, my lady; the scent of death is very strong,” Tsu confirmed as he tightened his straps and checked his weapon.
 
Kagome frowned at the fortification, its banners fluttering in the afternoon sun. Seven shards at the very least... even accounting for the ones Kohire thinks I lost to Renkotsu, that's a whole chunk of Jewel in residence. Who…or what… else besides Kohaku could possibly be waiting for us?
 
“Aren't those Koga-sama's followers?” Miroku asked, pointing at two figures toiling up the steep switchback road.
 
Shit! Koga's taking on the Band all by himself!” Kagome shouted. “He doesn't stand a chance!”
 
Inuyasha couldn't help the pleased smirk at Kagome's declaration as he drew Tetsusaiga and brandished the transformed blade over his head. “Same tactics as last time?” he brashly suggested, then wilted a little at the scornful looks directed his way by the rest of his pack.
 
“Do you mean the rush-in-blindly tactics you used, or the plan-for-success tactics we used?” Kagome asked pointedly, `accidentally' jabbing the hanyou in the shoulder as she deployed her bow.
 
“Er… the latter,” he sheepishly agreed, lowering Tetsusaiga.
 
“What about those two?” Kohire asked, watching Ginta and Hakkaku's slow progress.
 
“It's safer for them to not be involved,” Sango replied. “Unlike their leader, they're just regular youkai… and they don't even carry weapons.”
 
“Keh. Just caught a whiff of that scrawny wolf… he's nearly pissing himself.”
 
“I have no doubt that you would, too, if you were in Koga-sama's situation,” Miroku sharply retorted. “Let us be swift, before Naraku's minions claim another life.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Koga was reduced to defensive manoeuvres, desperately staying one step ahead of his tormenters, who besieged him from all sides. Don't know how much more of this I can take… might have bitten off more than I can chew! He dodged and twisted, but every move seemed to bring him within range of another weapon. When he tried to jump over the encircling ring of foes, either a loop of edged steel or a finely-braided weighted cable brought him down, sometimes with a blast of flame for variety. Steadily growing more tired, Koga wasn't able to catch his balance quickly enough when the concussion of a cannon-blast threw him directly towards Bankotsu, who waited with a smile as sharp as his weapon.
 
As the revenant swung, Koga tucked up his tail and his legs and desperately looked for any potential avenue of escape. He saw the huge blade slashing towards him and hoped to give himself enough space that he could land on the weapon itself and push himself off with enough power to vault out of the deadly circle.
 
“Outta the way, wolf-shit!” roared a familiar voice, and then the battlefield echoed with a loud, metallic clang. As the reverberations travelled up his arm, Bankotsu nearly dropped Banryu, but instead he gritted his teeth and hung on, hastily backing up to so that he could assess the newcomer.
 
Inu-chan!” shrieked an ecstatic Jakotsu, fairly hopping up and down with excitement while utterly forgetting that he was supposed to be attacking.
 
“Shut up, freak,” the hanyou snapped, choosing to ignore Koga's muffled snigger.
 
“Jakotsu's told me ever so much about you, Inuyasha; it's a pleasure to finally meet the famous puppy-chan,” Bankotsu offered breezily.
 
Inuyasha's eyes narrowed as he sized up this new opponent, aware of Koga putting his back against the hanyou's to face the rest of Naraku's henchmen. “Keh. You must be the last of the Band of Seven… or rather, the Five Losers.”
 
“Out of curiosity, why did you step in to save Koga?” Bankotsu asked offhandedly, although his blue eyes were keen.
 
The hanyou bristled. “Partially because he's an ally, but mainly because it isn't nice to gang up on a poor, helpless wolf.”
 
A clawed fist lightly conked him on the back of the head. “I ain't exactly helpless, but I was definitely outnumbered. Thanks for pulling my pelt out of the fire, mutt… let's show these weirdoes why they shouldn't mess with us.”
 
Bankotsu was about to lob a sarcastic comment when he noticed the hovering tenbaryu and neko-youkai who were staying just out of range of the Band's various weapons. “So, we can finally get this party started; c'mon down, ladies and gentlemen!” he called up, and barely dodged a flaming pink arrow that embedded itself in the ground just where he'd been standing.
 
Kagome shoved two more arrows down her boot while she grimly smiled over a memory of Sensei Yashita and Lord Kogashu supervising squads of sweating senior cadets as they dragged two massive examples of antique anti-cavalry weapons onto the field one afternoon. The two instructors had then cheerfully challenged the gawking students to wield the huge swords; the strongest had been able to lever the weapons off the ground by their handles and take one swing before they strained just about every muscle in the attempt. She herself had barely heaved the crescent-shaped pommel on the one example into the air before Sensei Yashita intervened to prevent a likely visit to the infirmary. “Now I know why he told me to keep an eye out for this kind of weapon… at the time I thought he was just joking around,” she muttered.
 
“My lady?” Tsu politely asked.
 
She blinked and shook herself. “That's a zhan ma dao,” she said, pointing.
 
“We've encountered those in battle with barbarian armies on the mainland,” Kohire offered. “They've been adapted by a few of the human warlords here and are known as zanbatou.”
 
“Should be fairly easy to avoid, considering the size of the thing,” Sango commented.
 
“Yes, my lady; the path of the weapon is exceptionally easy to anticipate,” Tsu nodded. At that moment, Bankotsu swung Banryu at Inuyasha with such speed and strength that the huge weapon was a blur; Tetsusaiga rang with the sound of the strike. “Er… it normally is a simple matter…” he hedged.
 
Kagome carefully scrutinized the dark-haired youth. One Jewel shard confers that much strength? The dark gleam in his throat seemed too large to be a single shard, so she looked closer. “Inuyasha! That one has three shards!”
 
Behind the hanyou, Koga snorted derisively. “That explains why a puling whelp like him can swing that blade around without breaking a sweat.”
 
While Bankotsu was careful to betray no surprise himself, he noted Renkotsu's startled reaction out of the corner of his eye. “These were bequeathed to me by my younger brothers, Kokotsu and Mukotsu,” he smirked. “A few more in my collection, like the ones in your legs, wolf-boy, and I'll be invincible.”
 
“I'll send you straight back to whichever hell you crawled out of first,” Inuyasha snarled, his stripes fraying.
 
“You're welcome to try!” Bankotsu yelled as he charged.
 
“Stay out of the way, Koga,” the hanyou growled over his shoulder as he swung Tetsusaiga into attack position.
 
“Don't have to tell me twice; I'll keep that metal cart busy,” the wolf prince answered before launching himself towards Ginkotsu.
 
Inuyasha raced towards Bankotsu, Tetsusaiga raised. Again, the two giant weapons clashed, and again the watchers' teeth hurt from the metallic scream. “They're evenly matched… Kohire-kun, shall you and I occupy Suikotsu to prevent his interference in this fight?” The guardsman grinned fiercely and nodded his assent to Miroku's suggestion, then the red and the black tenbaryu dropped towards the prowling ex-doctor.
 
Sango slung Hiraikotsu into throwing position and winked at Tsu. “Ready to go mix it up with the floozie?” The blond smirked back and Misora bugled her own challenge as she followed the yowling fire-cat into battle.
 
Kagome and Kumo stayed aloft; she gripped one black-fletched arrow between her teeth and notched another. She saw Renkotsu spin the tank's turret towards Kohire, who had dismounted and was fighting Suikotsu with deadly grace; she aimed and released her bowstring. The arrow blew a chunk out of the decking at Renkotsu's feet and rocked the turret enough that the missiles flew wide of their target. Now for the turret itself, and then Renkotsu… hey! He has my shards tucked into his breastplate! Kohire was right!
 
Renkotsu became aware of Kagome's interest at the moment he caught his balance and she let go with the second arrow. Hissing an epithet, he hauled the turret around and elevated the barrels by sheer force, getting off a shot just before a second explosion jammed the directional gearing. “Bitch!” he shouted, trying to load another shell before she destroyed the turret completely. He was just distracted enough to be nearly taken down by Koga; the wolf prince flung himself after the fire-master as Renkotsu tumbled off of Ginkotsu's deck when the tank attempted to evade another arrow that blew off one of his propulsion tines.
 
“Take a shot at Kagome, will ya? That's as good as signing your own death warrant, asshole!”
 
“Koga! Renkotsu has my shards!” Kagome yelled, sending a glowing pink arrow at Suikotsu's unguarded back as Miroku sought to take the striped warrior's legs out from under him with his staff. The arrow struck home, baring his spinal column but it only slowed Suikotsu instead of stopping him.
 
In another corner of the battlefield, Jakotsu was frustrated and furious at losing another chance at Inuyasha as he hacked away at Sango and Tsu. “No one ever asks me who I want to fight; oh, no, they grab my opponent for themselves and leave me with… this.” He paused for a moment and gave Sango a pitying look. “Women do nothing for me, bitch, but you, my fine piece of youkai ass, deserve my most careful attentions. Unfortunately for you, as good-looking as you are, I'd much rather have Inuyasha's blood on my blade, so just hurry up and die already!”
 
“You talk too much, pretty boy,” Tsu sneered, raising his weapon. “Good enough reason to carve out that shard so you'll just shut up!” While Sango loosed Hiraikotsu in an attempt to knock the sword out of Jakotsu's hands, Tsu dove in, aiming at his legs. Jakotsu almost had the opportunity to cut another notch in his hilt, but the glowing pink arrow that slammed into his thigh and stripped the flesh from his femur put him off-balance just enough that he missed the guardsman.
 
“Would you stop that?” he screeched up at the circling archer and barely dodged another flaming missile. “You're just jealous because Inu-chan likes me better!”
 
On the other side of the courtyard, Bankotsu grunted, “You're not bad, hanyou… tougher than any human I've fought,” as he and Inuyasha battled hilt to hilt, the honed edges of their weapons screeching as they slid past each other. “Why is Naraku so afraid of you? Are you really that much more powerful?”
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened, but he poured more effort into pushing Bankotsu back as he ground out, “You know where he is, don't you?” All he received in reply was a smug look, which told him more than he needed to know. “I'm gonna pin you to the ground with your own weapon and let Kagome purify you limb by limb until you tell us where he is,” the hanyou threatened.
 
“Sounds delightfully kinky, but I'll have to decline your offer, puppy-chan.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“This is the strongest barrier I've ever encountered,” Yumiko muttered in an aside to one of the other guardsmen as they observed Sesshomaru apparently lost in thought and staring into space. She mopped her brow and soothingly rubbed her tenbaryu's neck as the beast quietly complained about the aura's effects.
 
The light show that erupted around Sesshomaru's tall frame when he stepped forward had them all falling back and shielding their eyes; when the singed taiyoukai abruptly about-faced and strode towards a drooping Ah-Un, not a single lip twitched. His sizzling aura made sure of that.
 
“The barrier is very strong, my lord,” ventured the senior captain.
 
Jaken roused himself enough from his stupor to ask the question all the guardsmen wanted to know but were too afraid to ask. “My lord, it is impossible that a great lump of demonic trash like Naraku could survive contact with this shield; why do you seek him here?”
 
Sesshomaru shot the toad-imp a wilting look, then tilted his head to gaze up at the shielded mountain. “The youth that attacked Rin is nearby; therefore, so is Naraku.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Hell wasps!” Sango shouted, and all conflict paused as the distinctive buzzing filled the air. Inuyasha and Bankotsu jumped apart, both secretly glad of the respite. Closer and closer the brightly coloured insects winged until they hovered in a dense cloud over Bankotsu, who appeared distinctly unimpressed by their summons.
 
Dammit! Why now? We were just getting into it!” he snarled, waving the insistent wasps away. “Brothers! We've been ordered to retreat!”
 
What?
 
“Don't look so sad, Inuyasha; I'll leave you with a parting memento… your death!”
 
“Here's my parting gift, asshole! Wind Scar!”
 
Gershhh!
 
Thin wires wrapped around Inuyasha's arms as he brought down the blade, breaking his concentration. Baring his fangs, he shouted, “Too late, freak! Way too late!” as he shook himself loose. As the rest of his pack scattered into the sky, Koga yanked free of Renkotsu's fiery web and hitched a ride on Kurosei. The rest of the Band dove for cover while Bankotsu remained standing, hunching over slightly in the very teeth of the blast. Ramming Banryu into the ground, he braced himself against the huge weapon as they both disappeared from view in the sparkling red flames. Once the demonic energy dispersed, among the resulting clouds of dust and debris, Banryu's handle gleamed faintly. Of its wielder, however, there was no sign.
 
Bankotsu!” Jakotsu screamed shrilly and had to be restrained by Suikotsu from racing into the death zone.
 
“Poor bastard,” Koga grimaced. “I wonder if Kagome can locate his shard before those damn insects grab it?”
 
“Unfortunately, he's still using it,” the young woman grumbled, pointing downward.
 
Bankotsu straightened up, dusting himself off with an expression of extreme distaste. Jakotsu visibly sagged in relief and flung his arms around Suikotsu; the burly warrior rolled his eyes while awkwardly patting the swordsman's back.
 
For his part, Inuyasha was appalled to see his opponent emerge, apparently unscathed by the attack that had nearly killed his taiyoukai brother months before. What the fucking hell? He should have been vapourized!
 
“Thanks, Ginkotsu! Good move there, interfering with his sword!” Bankotsu called, raising his hand in salute to the tank, which positively wriggled with delight at the praise. The youth yanked his weapon out of the ground, and stopped dead when he saw the deep gouge carved out of the forged metal. “You damn dog! You scratched my Banryu! I'm gonna…” The insistently-buzzing hell wasps that survived the `Wind Scar' settled around him in a dense cloud; swatting irritably, he snarled, “I heard you the first time! Fuck!
 
Swinging Banryu up onto his shoulder, Bankotsu made a rude gesture at Inuyasha. “We'll continue this another time, puppy-chan. Keep your neck clean!”
 
“You think you can just take off? Nice try, asshole!” Inuyasha readied himself for another strike, but Renkotsu threw a handful of stink bombs that sent the hanyou reeling. As the rest of the Band leapt onto Ginkotsu's deck while the tank rapidly chewed its way over the torn-up ground towards a huge hole blasted in the castle wall, the fire-master laid down a heavy smoke screen to disguise their retreat until they could reach the cover of the surrounding forest and thence the shield.
 
Inuyasha shook off the effects of Renkotsu's bombs and charged after the sound of Ginkotsu's gears. If I hit them with a `Wind Scar', I'll slow the fuckers down at the very least! The earth under his feet began shaking violently, and then burst open right in the hanyou's path. Slabs of solid rock thrust upwards as he veered away, rubbing away the tears caused by the thick smoke from his eyes. Now what?
 
“Inuyasha… how nice to see you again…” purred a long-unheard and thoroughly detested voice.
 
Naraku!” shouted several voices at once, and the baboon-furred figure looked up as its body extended higher and higher into the air until it towered over the lone fighter on the ground.
 
“Such enthusiasm… warms the cockles of my heart, oh yes it does,” the dark hanyou sighed before turning his attention back to a very wary Inuyasha. “You've done well to survive this long…” A blazing arrow tore a hole through the figure's chest, but it didn't seem to notice.
 
“Just another golem, unfortunately,” Miroku growled.
 
“Successfully buying time for the Band to escape,” Kohire observed sourly.
 
“Just `Wind Scar' that thing and let's get after the Band!” Koga shouted down; Inuyasha didn't need any more encouragement to unleash the Tetsusaiga in a vain attempt to vent the frustration boiling inside him. The golem blew apart with ridiculous ease, as did a large chunk of the remaining fortifications; the rest of his pack touched down around him as he sheathed his blade. Koga was about to take off when Miroku gestured him back to where Kagome had dismounted and was poking at the golem's severed head, a puzzled look on her face.
 
“What have you found?' the monk asked of the girl.
 
She crooked her finger in his direction. “Come over here and check this out; this golem is… strange.”
 
Miroku stepped quickly to her side and joined her in contemplation. “How very interesting, Kagome-sama. This golem has the same aura as…”
 
“Mount Hakurei,” she finished.
 
“What the hell?” Inuyasha demanded as he joined them. Sniffing carefully, his nose still compromised by the stink bombs, he was able to detect a curiously fresh scent, unlike the stench of miasma that he usually associated with Naraku. “This thing smells clean… like flowers and fresh water.”
 
Curious, Koga came over, as did the guardsmen, and took deep whiffs of the rapidly-fading scent. “What's it mean?” the wolf prince wanted to know.
 
“Dunno, but it's another clue to Naraku's whereabouts,” the hanyou answered.
 
Koga flexed his claws. “I'm going after those assholes now; shouldn't have a problem finding them because they all stink like a graveyard; what're you gonna do, mutt?” he asked, letting a glint of fang show when the guardsmen growled over the insult to their alpha.
 
Inuyasha raised his hand for silence. “We'll follow this new scent; if you track the Band, you'll probably find that they've disappeared inside a really strong shield. Once you hit it, head that way, and you'll run into Sesshomaru and his patrol sooner or later. Warn him about these bastards and the funny smell of this golem.”
 
Koga raised a dark brow at the tone of command, but nodded his assent anyway before taking off at a dead run through the exit hole used by the Band. His whirlwind had barely dissipated when two gasping wolf youkai tumbled in through the wrecked gates. “Oh, no… has he left already?” groaned Hakkaku, collapsing into a heap. Ginta flopped next to him, panting heavily.
 
“He has, boys, but you don't have to chase after him on foot,” Kagome said kindly. “Tsu-kun and Kohire-kun will take you to the edge of the shield and drop you off.”
 
“We will…? Er, I meant, of course we will, Kagome-sama!” Tsu replied smartly after exchanging surprised looks with Kohire.
 
“Give the poor guys a break; how would you like to spend the best centuries of your lives chasing after Sesshomaru-sama on foot?” Kagome asked crossly, and the guardsmen nodded rapidly.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Bankotsu folded his arms across his chest and glared into the passing undergrowth, chewing his lip. “All I can say is, this better be a fucking good reason to pull me away from an awesome fight like that… another round, and that hanyou's ass would've been mine!”
 
Jakotsu's head snapped around as his jaw dropped. “Not you, too, big brother,” he wailed, tugging on his bangs and drumming his heels on Ginkotsu's armour plate. Bankotsu shot the swordsman a quelling look and opened his mouth, but was forestalled by Renkotsu.
 
“The spiritual power inside the shield has increased tremendously,” he observed, loosening the collar of his robes. “I hope we don't have to go right to the base of the mountain…”
 
“My delicate constitution has had too many shocks,” moaned Jakotsu, dramatically mopping his brow. “I'm gonna puke.”
 
Gersh!
 
Renkotsu growled, “I have enough repairs to make already without adding in a wash job…”
 
“Ho… who's this?” Bankotsu's eye was caught by a gleam of white advancing towards them through the mist of the shield. A young girl, of dainty mien and solemn expression, carrying an ornate mirror in her hands, advanced accompanied by Kohaku.
 
“Bankotsu-sama,” the youth said by way of greeting, bowing politely. “This is Kanna-dono, the eldest daughter of the master.”
 
“Eldest, eh? So that red-eyed firebrand is younger than this one?” Bankotsu asked, scratching his head. Kanna's left eyebrow might have raised a fraction of an inch in response, but the rest of her pallid face remained expressionless. Raising her mirror, she stepped forward and tilted it towards Bankotsu. Bemused, he bent down to peer into the polished surface. A tall, slender figure was striding away, a jabbering green creature dogging its heels. “Who's that?” he asked the silent child.
 
Jakotsu left off pouting long enough to peer over Bankotsu's shoulder. “Oooh! It's prissy-sama!”
 
“Prissy-sama?” he asked with amusement. “Is he another of your new crushes?”
 
“No, silly… he's the one who murdered Mukotsu,” Jakotsu replied, scrutinizing the taiyoukai's image and noting the presence of more guardsmen.
 
“That is Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's brother,” Renkotsu chimed in from atop Ginkotsu, where he was picking broken metal teeth out of the turret's gearing. “He's also known as the Lord of the West, according to what his flunkies told me at the temple.”
 
“The master also wishes his death,” Kohaku intoned. Bankotsu grabbed the teen by his collar and shoved his face right into Kohaku's.
 
“The best fucking fight I've had in years was interrupted to tell us that? Next time, just send a fucking hell wasp if there's an addition to our to-do list!”
 
“You would have lost your life if the battle had continued,” Kanna murmured. “Your weapon is no match for the Tetsusaiga as it is now.”
 
Bankotsu released Kohaku and frowned at the pale girl. He heaved Banryu upright and stabbed it into the ground at her bare feet, then pointed at the deep gash marring the shaft of the giant blade. “Is this why I would have lost?”
 
“Inuyasha's sword is demon-forged; Banryu must be given the same advantage if you hope to defeat the hanyou,” she said in that same whispering voice as she ran her dainty white hand over the damaged metal.
 
Bankotsu scowled. “I don't have time to track down a demonic smith and force him into forging me a new…” He trailed off as he noticed the direction of Kanna's glance and then the subtle gesture of her mirror. Turning around, he contemplated Renkotsu's rump jutting upwards as the cursing fire-master attempted to knock loose the jammed turret, and recalled an overhead shout during the melee at the castle. “Renkotsu!
 
At the sharp tone of Bankotsu's voice, the fire-master sat up so abruptly that he banged his head on the underside of one of the cannons. Grimacing as he rubbed his smarting skull, he answered, “Yes, big brother… urk!”
 
Bankotsu lightly prodded Banryu's business end into Renkotsu's throat before backing off slightly. “Hand `em over, Ren-kun.”
 
“Eh… what?” Renkotsu squeaked, suddenly ashen.
 
“The Shikon shards you swiped from that Kagome; she accidentally ratted you out, didn't she? Now, give `em up, or I'll help myself to the one in your neck as well,” Bankotsu genially threatened in a winter-cold tone.
 
The fire-master cautiously moved the blade away from his windpipe with the gauntlet on one hand as he fished inside his breastplate. “No need for threats, big brother; I was merely guarding them until you needed them. Here…” He tossed the small pouch to the smirking youth, who winked as he dropped his weapon.
 
“Sensible decision, Ren-kun. Keep playing it smart, all right?”
 
“Understood,” Renkotsu nodded, visibly sweating.
 
“How long will it take you to fix Ginkotsu?”
 
“Only a couple of hours; the bitch didn't hit anything vital,” the fire-master answered.
 
“When you're ready to roll, go after our hairy-assed friend with the Shikon shards. Doc? You and Jakotsu are assigned this Sesshomaru…”
 
“But… but... no! That's not fair!” Jakotsu railed, jolted out of his wistful golden-hued daydream and into instant complaint.
 
“Why not? Prissy-sama has a nice ass.”
 
“I want Inuyasha's ass! Not prissy-sama's!”
 
Bankotsu gave Jakotsu a long, stony look that had the swordsman immediately cringing away before saying, “If there's anything of Inuyasha left over, I'll let you play with it, Ja-chan.” Ignoring Jakotsu's crestfallen look, he tore open the small pouch and dumped the glowing shards into his palm. Contemplating them for a moment, he then pushed them into the damaged steel and watched with intense interest as the gaping slash slowly closed as if it were living flesh.
 
“Please follow me, Bankotsu-sama,” Kohaku offered. “Your next meeting with Inuyasha has already been arranged.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“How about this one?” Miroku shouted down, his hands cupped around his mouth.
 
The hanyou sniffed again at the surging river water before shouting over the roar, “Nope, but close!” He rapidly bounded up the side of the rocky gorge to rejoin the monk.
 
Two tenbaryu swept in, and Tsu saluted smartly. “We've checked the water courses within a league towards the north, Inuyasha-sama. Nothing even close to that scent.”
 
“There is a sizeable lake towards the south,” Kohire added. “This river more than likely empties into it.”
 
“Might as well check out the lake, too,” Inuyasha decided. “It might be easier to work around it to test all the incoming streams.” He briefly glared at the distant mountain before shading his eyes to look for Kumo. The grey stallion hovered about twenty feet off the ground in company with Kirara, their riders talking quietly. “Oi, wench… we're heading for the lake,” he called up, and in a trice Kumo landed so that he could scramble aboard. Kagome flashed him a small smile as he did so; as soon as he was securely seated, his arms wrapped loosely around her waist, he asked, “What's eatin' you?”
 
“I know I've forgotten something that's really important to our search,” she confessed, “but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, and it's driving me nuts.”
 
He tightened his arms and pulled her back into his body. “Don't worry about it,” he murmured, running the tip of his nose around the shell of her ear before kissing her temple. “You'll remember it sooner or later.”
 
“I have this feeling I should remember it now to save us some grief later,” she muttered, leaning back to encourage a closer embrace. Inuyasha instantly complied, dropping his chin onto her shoulder and hugging her tightly. She turned her head for a too-brief kiss, then noticed the grins sported by the rest of their group as the other tenbaryu ranged themselves around Kumo. I wish we had a chance to be alone together, but it looks like that's out of the question for now. Sighing a bit, Kagome nestled back against Inuyasha's chest and tried to concentrate on sorting through her memories, but other worries kept intruding. That damn nightmare last night was even more vivid than the first one not to mention, if I'm actually pregnant, how much damage did Mukotsu's poison do to the baby, never mind Myoga's antidote? ShitFenik? Could you check something for me?
 
Sweetheart, I'm a figment of your imagination, not a doctor. Quit worrying about something that you can't do anything about, all right?
But I…
You're just making this whole situation that much more difficult. Knock it off… and that's from both me and Riko.
 
“You still smell like that bastard Mukotsu's poison,” Inuyasha grumbled lightly, as if he'd read her mind. Brushing his hand through her hair, he added, “A long, hot bath at your mother's house ought to work… once this shit is over.” Before she could betray her mental panic, Miroku intervened.
 
“Let's question those fishermen about Mount Hakurei,” the monk suggested, pointing with his staff at a group of village worthies mending their nets on the lakeshore while being harangued by an agitated teenager.
 
“Go for it, houshi; find out if anything weird's happened lately, too.”
 
The monk saluted and urged Kurosei towards the group; the rest followed until they were within easy earshot of the rather loud conversation.
 
Please! Father has been missing for weeks, and my sisters are distraught!” the youth begged, his hands fisting at his sides.
 
“You, of all people, should know that the sacred island is forbidden to us, Shintaro-kun,” answered one of the men, tugging on the knotted twine.
 
“I know! That is why I'm asking you to lend me a boat, and I will search Hijiri Island myself!”
 
“Your father is most likely dining with the carp at the bottom of the lake, Shintaro-kun; you must assume his duties as head of your household,” said another with a sympathetic pat to the teenager's shoulder. “You know how dangerous the rocky shoals around the venerable one's island can be.”
 
The listeners exchanged glances while Miroku guided Kurosei down to land softly behind the youth. The men all blinked at the unusual sight of a Buddhist monk swinging down from a red-eyed, fanged, and clearly demonic creature, and scuttled backwards several steps. Shintaro turned around to see what had caught their attention so emphatically, and stared at the smiling monk that had appeared apparently out of nowhere.
 
Unruffled, Miroku brushed down his robes and gravely bowed. “Would you be so kind as to tell us about Hijiri Island, young sir? In return, we can offer you passage there to search for your father.”
 
Shintaro closed his mouth and nodded dumbly, too stunned by the precipitous arrival of this holy man and his demonic mount to ask questions of his own, and led the way towards a prosperous-looking house on the edge of the village. Miroku politely saluted the gaping fishermen and strolled along in Shintaro's wake, Kurosei following close behind.
 
The men nearly fell over backwards as another motley group of arrivals touched down on the rocky shore and trotted after the youth and the monk with only the barest glance in their direction. The horse-like demons were startling enough, but the bright blue dragon and the flaming-pawed neko-youkai really did them in, never mind the assortment of warriors astride the creatures.
 
“A holy man, in the company of youkai?” one muttered to the others.
 
“He must be immensely powerful, to hold such creatures in his thrall!” They all nodded sagely, satisfied that the monk controlled the demonic host, then wondered why the two tall humanoid youkai wearing dark grey leather uniforms snickered behind their hands.
 
Meanwhile, Shintaro had invited his unusual guest into the wooden-floored main room of his family's substantial house, but left the exterior shoji open at Miroku's request to accommodate the black tenbaryu's interest. While the youth excused himself to arrange some tea, the monk was joined next to the fire pit by the hanyou while the rest of group arranged themselves outside on the veranda. Shintaro was somewhat taken aback by the appearance of Miroku's companions, to put it mildly, but to his credit, he bowed politely and called in for more tea.
 
The monk smiled reassuringly. “My friends and I are curious about this sacred island that you wish to visit.”
 
The teenager nodded seriously; Kagome was struck by how much he reminded her of Sota. “It is the honourable duty of my family to look after the venerable one's shrine on Hijiri Island…”
 
“Who's this `venerable one'?” Inuyasha interrupted.
 
“Saint Hakushin; he lived over one hundred years ago and became a living Buddha,” Shintaro replied. “His mummy is enshrined in a temple on the island.”
 
Hakushin… Hakurei… can it be a coincidence?” asked Kohire in an undertone, but Shintaro heard him.
 
“The venerable one was known as the `pure-hearted'. He built a temple of worship at the base of Mount Hakurei; it is renowned as a place of cleansing, where any sin can be absolved… ah, thank you, sisters.” Three attractive young women filed out with trays holding steaming cups. They were certainly startled by the unusual assemblage of visitors gracing their home, but all managed to serve the tea without mishap. Kohire and Tsu straightened up smartly and made a point of graciously thanking the kneeling girl who extended her tray with shaking hands. She looked up, dark eyes wide in a pretty face, then blushed rosy pink as she shyly bobbed her head in acknowledgement.
 
Kagome and Sango nudged each other, highly amused, as the guardsmen began gently flirting with the young woman. When her elder sister sidled over to rescue her, she, too, was trapped by the good looks and good manners of the inu-youkai until she was as pink-cheeked and thoroughly charmed. Sango glanced up at Miroku's emphatic cough and tipped Kagome a wink as they all brought their attention back to the matter at hand.
 
“For how long has your honoured father been missing?” the monk asked after giving the too-innocent guardsmen a sharp look.
 
“For three months, ever since the night a strange light was seen on the island,” Shintaro answered.
 
“Three months ago and a strange light… that can't possibly be a coincidence,” Sango asserted firmly. “But why hasn't a search been made already?”
 
“None of the villagers will approach the island, because they fear the wrath of the gods if they disturb the venerable one's repose,” the youngest sister replied. She ducked her head, blushing at the attention, and continued, “We do not want our brother to go alone, but no one will accompany him.”
 
“Why don't one of you escort Shintaro-kun?” Kagome asked.
 
The eldest sister, seated behind the teenage boy, spoke up. “Only the men of our family are honoured with the task.”
 
Miroku frowned. “It seems very strange that a saintly man would restrict those who seek his blessing in such a fashion,” he muttered.
 
“It has ever been the tradition,” Shintaro stiffly replied.
 
“We'll take you to the island,” Inuyasha interjected. “But I doubt your old man's alive, especially if he ran into the bastard that caused the lightshow.” He assessed the sky with a practiced eye. “There's enough hours left until dark; let's go.”
 
“We will return with news of your father,” Kohire reassured the sisters, bowing as he replaced the earthenware cup.
 
Not to be outdone, Tsu chimed in, “Your brother will be safe; I give you my word.” The two girls blushed furiously and watched with open admiration as the two youkai made a show of checking their weapons before leaping heroically into the saddles of their tenbaryu.
 
Kagome developed a sudden coughing fit and had to turn away as Kirara let out what could only be described as a scornful snort. Miroku bowed to the young women and escorted Shintaro out onto the veranda while Inuyasha loitered behind. Fixing the eldest sister with a bright golden eye, he growled, “We should be back long before dark, but keep the lamps lit just in case.” The twittering females bowed and he quickly exited the building to rejoin Kagome on Kumo.
 
Shintaro wasn't exactly balking at riding Kurosei, but there was no doubt that the enormous creature intimidated him. Miroku finally had enough of the teen's nervous stalling and boosted him up onto Kurosei's back. His face drained of colour, Shintaro clung to the pommel of the saddle as the monk gave him a steadying pat on the leg. “Now, Shintaro-kun, would you kindly shift backwards a little so that I may ride in front? Unless you'd like to hold the reins, that is?”
 
“Uh, nooo…” The teen turned even whiter and scooted back, allowing Miroku enough room to swing into the saddle. He then practically plastered himself to the monk's back, wrapping his arms tightly around Miroku's ribs.
 
“I do require air now and again,” the monk remonstrated, forcibly loosening Shintaro's grip to a less-crushing level. “I do hope that you are not afraid of heights?”
 
“J-just a little…” he quailed, squeezing Miroku's midsection again.
 
“Then keep your eyes closed until we reach the island. If you feel the need to retch, please aim over Kurosei-sama's flank, as I do not have time to clean my robes.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Dammit, does this fucking shield ever end?” Koga snarled in frustration, glaring up at the mist-enshrouded mountain. He drew back his arm and drove his fist into what appeared to be thin air, and was immediately flung backwards by a violent blue-tinged explosion.
 
Ginta and Hakkaku silently helped him up, eyeing the crackling energy revealed by the wolf prince's strike. “We're supposed to report to Sesshomaru-sama…” Ginta reminded him.
 
“We will… after I've made sure there aren't any cracks we can exploit,” Koga growled. “The Band are hiding in here, so there has to be a way inside, because those bastards have dirtier souls than any of us.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Something just occurred to me,” Sango mused. “Who, or what, is maintaining the shield around Mount Hakurei? It must be an incredibly holy person to emit that much power.”
 
“From the sounds of it, Saint Hakushin had that kind of power… would you agree, Shintaro-kun?” Miroku asked over his shoulder. Keeping his eyes tightly closed and looking distinctly green about the gills, the teen nodded miserably.
 
“Are we almost there, houshi-sama?” he asked in a very small voice.
 
“Yes, we are… Inuyasha! Kagome-sama! Are you all right?” Miroku shouted as he watched Kumo recoil from a suddenly-spitting section of sky.
 
Once the tenbaryu had stopped shuddering, the hanyou snarled, “Another fucking shield, dammit! Not as strong as the one around Mount Hakurei, but it feels the same.” Inuyasha slapped Kumo's neck. “C'mon, ya big baby! It only stings a little bit; if I can handle it, so can you!” Kumo snorted something that made Kirara's whiskers twitch, and then the fire-cat took the lead. She dove down through the shield, the flames on her paws dwindling to mere embers, but she maintained her transformation.
 
“Ya gonna let that little kitty show you up?” Inuyasha asked. The tenbaryu shook his mane, folded his legs and darted after Kirara, closely followed by the rest of their flight. Shintaro let out a shriek as Kurosei dropped out from under him; Miroku's eyes briefly bugged out of his head from the pressure on his stomach as the teen desperately clutched him. Kagome held tightly to Fenik's violently shaking hilt as they passed through the shield.
 
Are you all right?
Surviving. Shit, that barrier has a helluva bite!
How's Tetsusaiga doing?
Using language that would curl your hair, Nixie, so I assume he's fine.
Being purified sucks, huh?
 
“What in the hell?” Inuyasha asked, and she redirected her attention towards their surroundings. It was oddly cloudy inside the shield, but as they neared the ground, the unusual vegetation became obvious. As far as the eye could see through the swirling mist, distinctive lavender blossoms thickly carpeted the landscape.
 
“These flowers… this place… it has the same sensation as…” she began, staring around in amazement.
 
“The golem,” Inuyasha finished grimly.
 
Shintaro looked decidedly off-kilter as Miroku assisted his dismount from an agitated Kurosei. “These flowers bloom here in the spring, not the winter. This should all be barren rock,” he said dazedly.
 
“We've found a boat, Shintaro-kun,” Kohire called from a short distance away as he and a visibly-sweating Tsu came towards them, leading their drooping animals. “Your father must have reached the island.”
 
“It isn't looking good, Shintaro-kun,” Sango murmured sympathetically, dropping her hand onto the teen's shoulder.
 
He gave her a falsely-brave smile. “Even if he has passed on, confirmation of his fate will ease my sisters' minds.”
 
“It will be hard for you, though,” Miroku said in a voice tight with old pain. “To lose your father at such a young age...”
 
“Same shield, same stink… this is probably a trap, so look sharp,” Inuyasha interrupted, his tone brisk. “Naraku's up to something, the fucking bastard… where's the shrine, Shintaro?”
 
“This way… please follow me,” he replied and set off. Tsu and Kohire positioned themselves on the flanks and the tenbaryu in the rear as they fanned out across the sea of bloom, following the teen's lead deeper into the shield.
 
“How's the Vortex?” Kagome suddenly asked.
 
Miroku held up his gauntleted hand for inspection, showing her his glowing blue palm. “Sealed by the purity of the shield, although not as securely as at Mount Hakurei,” he answered, then observed, “This mist is very unusual, don't you think? It impedes the vision.”
 
“Mount Hakurei is also hung with obscuring mist,” Tsu observed, wiping his brow. “If it were also this thick, it would act as an effective camouflage for the Band's movements.”
 
“Let's find out what happened to your dad and get the hell off this island,” Inuyasha growled. “While we're fucking around out here, Naraku's gaining strength back there.”
 
“If this shield is the same as at Mount Hakurei, do you suppose Saint Hakushin is maintaining both of them?” Kagome ventured. I don't like this mist at all; reminds me of Naraku's Forest of Illusion.
 
“Saint Hakushin would never assist anyone of evil disposition,” Shintaro stoutly asserted, then let out a dismayed cry and began to run. An elegant little shrine appeared through the obscuring mist, but it quickly became apparent that it had been vandalized by an unknown hand. From the eaves to the foot of the staircase, a great gash had been carved through the structure; a ruined door panel creaked gently in an unfelt wind.
 
Fuck,” Inuyasha muttered just as Shintaro went sprawling. The teen picked himself up and glanced down to see what had tripped him in his head-long dash… then screamed.
 
Kagome and Sango surrounded him in an instant as he helplessly pointed at a smooth, rounded outcropping. “Father…” he whimpered. “That's the kosode he was wearing the day he left…” Miroku knelt and carefully pulled away the shreds of homespun fabric, stiff with old blood.
 
“His body has been stripped of all flesh and the bones have whitened through exposure to the elements,” he observed quietly. “His clothing is also badly torn, as though clawed by carnivorous animals.”
 
“The strange light must have been Naraku attacking the shrine,” Inuyasha rumbled. “His demons feasted on the poor bastard.” While Miroku offered a prayer for the dead, Inuyasha stepped away and ordered, “Hurry up and gather the bones so we can leave...” He glanced at Kagome just as her mouth opened, but another voice beat her to the punch.
 
“Not until I've had a piece of you, hanyou!” shouted Bankotsu from the shrine's jagged doorway. His oversized weapon rested comfortably on his shoulder as he smirked at the obvious dismay his arrival caused. “This shield makes me sick, hanyou, but not as ill as your continued existence!”
 
“So, Naraku's sent his new toady to do his dirty work,” Inuyasha sneered, placing himself between the youth and the rest of his pack.
 
Bankotsu assessed the force facing him, noting the two inu-youkai taking up defensive positions around the humans, but dismissed them as immaterial to his objective. “This is just a continuation of our fight this morning, hanyou… you caught a lucky break then, but not this time.” He swaggered out onto the veranda and brandished Banryu in their direction. “Out of the way kiddies; I have business with puppy-chan. I'll deal with you lot later.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened as she detected a familiar glow emanating from the zhan ma dao's blade. “Inuyasha! That weapon has Jewel shards embedded in it!”
 
“You do have sharp eyes, wench. This wretched hanyou damaged my old friend, so I borrowed a few of your shards to repair it.” His dark blue eyes glinted menacingly as he added, “I'm itching to try it, so pull out that wimpy Tetsusaiga and let's go!” He leapt off the veranda straight for Inuyasha, whirling Banryu above his head.
 
Get back!” the hanyou roared at his pack, Tetsusaiga blossoming in his hand as they scattered. “I don't have time to fuck around with you, asshole! Wind Scar!
 
Nothing happened.
 
Inuyasha stared at the great blade, empty of the twisting white vapours of its demonic power, and barely brought it up in time to block Bankotsu's attack.
 
The revenant laughed wildly, his teeth flashing in a feral grin. “Now I understand why I was sent here! Hand to hand combat, puppy!” At Kagome's side, Fenik howled in sympathy as Tetsusaiga took blow after blow from Banryu.
 
What's going on?
The old man's been partly exorcised; I'm amazed he's holding his transformation!
Shit, this is bad… we need to leave the shield!
Or bring it down
 
She was taken off-guard, as was Sango, when Shintaro suddenly escaped their grasp and raced for the shrine. “Saint Hakushin! I humbly beg you to protect Inuyasha-sama from evil!” he shouted, tripping up the broken stairs and diving into the sanctuary. Kagome and Sango bolted after him, closely followed by Kohire and Kirara.
 
“Shintaro-kun?” Sango asked when they reached the doorway a half-step behind the teen.
 
“He's gone,” Shintaro whispered in horror, pointing to a cushioned altar against the back wall. “The venerable one's mummy was enshrined right there…”
 
As he began blindly tidying up the overturned offering dishes and equipment, Kagome spun back to the raging battle in time to witness blood spraying from her hanyou's shoulder, creating a vivid arc across the flowery ground. “Inuyasha!” she screamed, watching as he was sent flying by the next blow. He'd barely regained his feet from that tumbling slide before he was forced to parry Bankotsu's next attack as the revenant pressed his advantage. Whipping out her bow, she tried to draw a bead on Bankotsu, but between the obscuring mists and his speed, she couldn't lock onto his position even with her battle-sight. “We have to do something,” she implored the group at large.
 
Miroku's handsome face was marred by a thoughtful frown as he keenly watched the combatants, but then his expression cleared. “We must find the shield's anchor,” he called. “Just like your arrows and my sutras maintain the village's barrier when we are not there, so must this shield be held in place by something physical since the saint's mummy is no longer here.”
 
“How the hell do we locate it? It's like searching for a pin in a rice paddy!” she demanded.
 
“Tsu-kun, lend me some of your demonic aura, please,” Miroku asked, extracting a handful of sutras from his robes. Rubbing them on the bemused guardsman's hands, he spoke a simple accelerant spell and flung the papers in a wide arc. “Watch carefully; it might be no more than a small burst of light when the demonic energy is exorcised.”
 
There!” Sango shouted, pointing; sure enough a pale blue dome crackled, half buried in the floral carpet.
 
“Shintaro-kun! Follow me!” Miroku ordered, hurrying towards the spitting energy. Obediently, the teen tumbled down the stairs and ran after the monk. Arriving at the dome, they peered at a strangely-shaped object lying on the ground beneath. Miroku brought up his staff and directed Shintaro to hang onto the polished wooden shaft. “Your family are the honoured guardians of the venerable one; let us hope that Saint Hakushin's aura recognizes you as the new caretaker of his shrine.”
 
Offering a prayer, the two hammered the metal-capped end of Miroku's staff into the dome and concentrated. Blue energy boiled up around them, tested them, found them worthy… and a brilliant flash temporarily blinded them as the shield gave way. The carpet of flowers instantly melted away, revealing a wintry landscape of bare, wet rock and scraggly trees. In a shallow depression at their feet lay a double-ended brass instrument, heavily embossed with symmetrical designs. “That's Saint Hakushin's dokko, which he used during his lifetime,” Shintaro whispered in shock. “It was part of the altar fittings inside the shrine.”
 
For Inuyasha, the results of the barrier's fall were instantaneous as the vapours began whirling down Tetsusaiga. Finally! “Time to die, freak!” he snarled, swinging up the great blade.
 
His opponent just laughed. “I'm back to full strength, too! C'mon, puppy-chan, give me your best shot and we'll see who's stronger!”
 
“If you insist, asshole. Wind Scar!” The red flames of the strike screamed towards an imperturbable Bankotsu, who waited until the last moment before leaping into the air with a loud yell. Whirling Banryu with incredible speed, he chopped downward into the `Wind Scar's demonic energy… and sent it hurtling harmlessly past.
 
By the fifth hell!” Kohire shouted in disbelief. “He parried the `Wind Scar'?”
 
“It's the Jewel shards in Banryu; they've given it the strength to equal Tetsusaiga!” Kagome yelped, wincing as Bankotsu flew at Inuyasha, Banryu poised overhead. The hanyou cursed violently and barely brought Tetsusaiga up in time to avoid being sliced in half. The two combatants went toe-to-toe, straining to hold their positions as their weapons loudly clashed.
 
“Despite Inuyasha-sama's injury, they are evenly matched, thanks to the Jewel shards,” Tsu muttered. “Kagome-sama, should we intervene?”
 
“Inuyasha won't thank you for it,” she replied, watching the standoff with concern as the sleeve of the hanyou's fire-rat became more saturated with blood.
 
“This could go on for quite a while,” Sango observed, “which might also be part of Naraku's plan.”
 
At that moment, something shot through the air, trailing blue energy like a small comet and collided with the Tetsusaiga, causing it to howl discordantly and immediately return to its smaller, shabbier form. As Inuyasha stumbled backwards from Bankotsu's sudden weapons advantage, he yelled, “What the fuck's going on?” over his shoulder and then took a giant leap back out of Banryu's range.
 
“Saint Hakushin's dokko?” Shintaro gasped, pointing at the brass instrument now hovering slightly off the ground behind the leader of the Band.
 
Bankotsu's face twisted with fury. “The fucking bastard doesn't think I can take you on my own, huh? Fine… it's a dirty fight anyways, so the odds don't matter so long as I win!” He dove for Inuyasha, ignoring the guardsmen as he charged in with his weapon raised… until a black-fletched arrow slammed into Banryu and blew it out of his hand. A split-second after that, while he was still reeling from the impact, a blazing pink missile went through his right forearm and reduced it to bone.
 
Cocksuckingbitch!” he roared. “How dare you… fuck!” A third arrow stripped his sternum bare above the elaborate breastplate.
 
“Next one's in your throat, you bastard,” came an icy voice. “It's now six against one… how'd you like those dirty odds?”
 
Bankotsu threw another vicious epithet at the archer as he raced for his weapon. Banryu was driven deeply into the rocky earth, a huge chunk missing from one honed edge. Yanking it free, Bankotsu's scowl grew to frightening proportions as he surveyed the slowly-repairing metal. Whipping around, he levelled it at the young woman, who responded by coolly adjusting her aim. “You'll wish I'd killed you quickly by the time I'm done with you…”
 
“Leave her out of this, freak… first you have to go through me,” Inuyasha hissed, just as the Tetsusaiga flashed back to its full size and destructive capability.
 
Bankotsu crouched, ready to attack, but he was suddenly enveloped in brilliant blue light and began fading away, looking as surprised at this development as his opponents. Tsu and Kohire flew at the barrier, only to come to a screeching halt at Kagome's shouted command. “Stop! You'll be purified!”
 
“Dammit! What in all the hells was that about?” Inuyasha demanded, sheathing Tetsusaiga and then wincing as he prodded his injured shoulder.
 
“The dokko is gone, too. It appears that Saint Hakushin has willingly taken sides with Naraku,” Miroku puzzled.
 
“A man famed for his great purity, involved with pure evil like Naraku?” Sango blurted out. “That doesn't make any sense!”
 
Argh!” Startled, the group looked over to where Kagome was repeatedly banging her head against Kumo's scaly flank.
 
“Kagome-sama…?” Tsu asked with concern.
 
Beware of too much purity… dammit, if only I'd remembered in time!” the young woman grumbled as she faced her friends.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and grunted, “S'okay, wench… we now know that Naraku's inside that barrier for sure, and I had another shot at Bankotsu, so it wasn't a complete loss to come out here.”
 
“Allow me to assist you in gathering up your father's bones, Shintaro-kun, and we will be on our way,” Miroku offered. “There is still enough daylight left that we can reach Mount Hakurei and possibly locate our allies to pass on this information.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“So, this Bankotsu has the ability to nullify the `Wind Scar'… useful to know. The wolf mentioned a new scent; report on your findings.” Sesshomaru's keen yellow eyes took in Inuyasha's bloodied suikan and the group's general air of anticipation as the combined patrol clustered just outside the limits of the shield protecting Mount Hakurei.
 
“It led us to Hijiri Island, out in the middle of that lake.” Inuyasha hooked his thumb over his shoulder and continued, “It was another fucking trap, but at least we know Naraku is being protected by the mummy of a Saint Hakushin.”
 
Jaken impatiently waved his staff. “How could a creature such as Naraku enter a shield without being purified?” he demanded. “It's impossible!”
 
Kagome stepped forward. “Give me some space, please.” A small pink dome erupted around her, causing the assembled youkai to shuffle backwards another few steps. “A demon trying to penetrate an existing shield stands a snowball's chance in the first hell, but…” Dropping the barrier, she darted over and grabbed a startled Kohire, then dragged him back into the centre of the cleared area. As spiritual energy enclosed them, she continued, “if he's already inside before the shield goes up, he's completely safe from all outside attack.”
 
“Just like inside the training dojo, when you protected the cadets,” said an admiring Kohire as the barrier came down.
 
As she nodded, blushing, Inuyasha growled, “So how do we flush the bastard out?”
 
Sango shouldered Hiraikotsu and smiled at Miroku, who straightened his robes as he stepped forward. “That would be our cue, I believe,” he said cheerfully, offering his arm to his wife. “As the only two humans, we are able to pass through the shield without harm.”
 
“Wait a minute! I should go with you!” Kagome protested, but Inuyasha's hand gripping her arm halted her intent.
 
“Your sword doesn't like it, and I wouldn't like it,” he said gruffly, squeezing gently while holding her dismayed gaze with steady golden eyes.
 
She slowly nodded before turning to the waiting couple. “I'm concerned that this will turn out to be a bigger version of Mount Hiei.”
 
“The demonic aura there was unbelievable,” Sango muttered worriedly.
 
“It was,” Miroku confirmed, patting her hand reassuringly. “Do you have any thoughts, Kagome-sama?”
 
“Just like Mount Hiei, I'll bet that Mount Hakurei is an extinct volcano,” she began, using an arrow tip to scratch a rough diagram in the dirt. “The old magma chamber will be deep underground; it's accessible by vents leading from the surface to the main conduit.” Tapping the picture, she continued, “Naraku's probably in the magma chamber and out of reach without Kirara or Kurosei.”
 
“We'll try to locate the source of the shield and bring it down,” the slayer assured. “Shintaro-kun mentioned the location of the temple at the mountain's base; there's a good chance that Saint Hakushin's mummy is being kept there.”
 
“Just concentrate on confirming the bastard's in there and then getting the hell back out,” Inuyasha ordered crisply. “Don't go doin' anything stupid.” Kirara echoed his sentiment, rubbing herself vigorously around Sango's ankles and doing the same to Miroku before seating herself at the hanyou's feet.
 
“Here… take these.” Yumiko stepped forward, carrying two pitch-dipped torches. “It will be undoubtedly be dark inside the mountain.”
 
“Our thanks, Yumiko-san,” bowed Miroku, then raised his staff in salute. “We shall return.” The couple walked into the shield and were quickly lost to view among the swirling mists, but not before the blue light wrapping around Miroku's gauntlet was noted by curious eyes.
 
“The shield purifies the monk's cursed hand?” Jaken asked in surprise.
 
“That's why we didn't think Naraku could be in there, but once the shield was up, he'd be safe from all of us,” Inuyasha admitted as he slipped his arm around Kagome's waist and tugged her against his side.
 
“Once our foe realizes his sanctuary has been invaded, this hunt will come to a rapid conclusion,” Sesshomaru murmured quietly. “We will work our way around the mountain opposite to the direction taken by the wolf, so that when the shield falls… or Naraku emerges… we will have a better chance of intercepting him.” Inclining his head, he glided towards Ah-Un, Jaken trotting in his wake.
 
As the other patrol lifted off, Inuyasha smacked himself in the forehead. “I should've told him about Kikyo,” he groaned. “What if he mistakes her for a member of the Band?”
 
“Her purification arrow will set him straight pretty fast, I'd think.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Koga, can we stop to look for something to eat?” Hakkaku asked hopefully. “I'm pretty sure I smelt a rabbit warren in those rocks…”
 
The wolf prince glared up at the mountain, barely visible in swirling mist. “Yeah, sure… might as well fuel up because it doesn't look like Naraku's gonna come out any time soon.” As he turned away to follow his suddenly-energized lieutenants, he sensed the change in air pressure from an incoming strike and was already airborne when the blast struck. Ginta and Hakkaku's screams were lost in the thundering debris while Koga struggled to land on his feet. Blood streamed from numerous cuts, and he was fairly sure that one of the lower bones in his right leg was cracked, if not broken.
 
“Had to slow you down somehow; would have been simpler if I'd managed to blow your legs off,” Renkotsu drawled as he reloaded Ginkotsu's cannons.
 
“Gersh!”
 
“Where did they come from?” Ginta asked shakily, smearing blood out of his eyes.
 
“The shield is confounding your youkai senses, I suppose, so I'll put you out of your misery before you hurt yourself by thinking too much.”
 
Koga desperately flung himself out of the way as another blast rocked the earth. “Stay back!” he shouted at the two dazed wolf youkai. “These weirdoes are mine!” Gotta end this quickly before my leg busts all the way. Assessing his opponents, he surreptitiously scooped up a fist-sized rock and hid it in his palm.
 
“So where, exactly, are your Jewel shards? I don't want to accidentally pulverize them when I blow you up,” the fire-master asked with mock solicitousness as he spun the turret.
 
Crouching, his blue eyes sharp, Koga determined the best angle of attack. I shoulda asked Kagome where these assholes keep their shards… just have to tear `em apart until I find `em, I guess. As the barrels trained on him, he launched, rolling in midair to avoid the missiles. Renkotsu was ready for him; weighted steel wires wrapped around his torso, quickly followed by the inevitable flames.
 
“You fool! So anxious for death, are we?” Renkotsu jeered.
 
Koga's lips curled back, exposing his fangs in a feral snarl. “No, but I'm anxious for yours!” He ignored the fiery bonds as he leapt towards the tank, gaining enough altitude to come down on Renkotsu with his claws extended. The attack came so fast, the fire-master couldn't dodge, and he screamed shrilly as Koga tore three deep gouges into his shoulder, tearing away armour and clothing in the process.
 
Bastard! You're trying for my shard!” he shrieked, his cool demeanour cracked by the near-miss. Gulping a mouthful of accelerant, he blasted fire at the wolf prince, who had alighted on Ginkotsu's deck in the follow-through of his blow. Engulfed in flame, Koga flipped backwards off the tank while trying to shake free of both the wires and the burning liquid. Renkotsu depressed the guns and jerked the firing cord, snarling, “You're fucking dead, cur; your shards are the least of my interests right now!”
 
Renkotsu had just a split-second to wonder about the delay in firing before Ginkotsu lurched beneath his feet and an ear-shattering blast knocked him senseless before throwing him wide as the tank imploded.
 
The debris were still raining down when Ginta and Hakkaku scrambled out of hiding and looked in horrified shock at the huge crater, smoking gently in the dust-filled air. Pieces of Ginkotsu's superstructure and chassis littered the landscape; Hakkaku jumped into Ginta's arms, gibbering, when a misshapen skull with a fringe of red hair and a metal jaw thumped to the ground at his feet.
 
“Koga isn't… he couldn't be… dead?” Ginta whispered hollowly.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж