InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Retreat ( Chapter 82 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: I am absolutely thrilled to announce that `Time Lapse' won Best of the Year honours for 2007 at the IYFG! Thanks to everyone who has supported the fic over the past three years.
 
Hang onto your seats! More blood and violence with a side serving of character death and lashings of angst.
 
As always, I couldn't have come this far without the essential and good-natured help of my CMA ladies: Forthright, Nokomarie the Snake, Ranuel and Susanne TJ. They deserve a huge round of applause!
 
The titles of this chapter and the next are based on a passage from the Bhagavad-Gita, courtesy of Robert Jungk's seminal book on the atomic scientists. History geeks unite!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 82: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, Part One
 
`Retreat'
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“C'mon, Kumo! We gotta find that scrawny wolf fast!”
 
The tenbaryu shrieked a reply, dodging ganglia and rocks the size of huts as they plunged after Koga's dimly glowing bubble. Kumo kicked off from a careening granite boulder, and they were almost on top of their target. “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” Inuyasha roared, slashing through the rubbery casing and heaving Koga across the saddle in front of him. “Let's get the hell out of here!” The stallion bunched his powerful hindquarters and they fairly shot through the mayhem of the collapsing mountain. Inuyasha tightened his grip on Koga's slime-covered armour, noticing that the wolf prince's skin had a softened, sticky-looking texture. He really was melting!
 
Koga came back to consciousness, vomiting a huge amount of foul-smelling liquid over Kumo's flank. “What the hell…?” he rasped, slowly lifting his head, then cursing weakly as Kumo took an abrupt detour around a huge glob of spurting tissue.
 
“Stay awake, wolf!” Inuyasha yelled as the tenbaryu slalomed through toppling basalt columns.
 
“Where's Naraku?”
 
“Tell you later!”
 
“You let him get away, didn't you?”
 
The hanyou glared down at his passenger. “Not exactly, asshole… shit!” He desperately grabbed a handful of mane as Kumo reared to avoid a jagged sheet of rock that dropped like a portcullis right in front of his nose. The stallion stretched out his neck, straining for altitude over the steeply-sloping stony barrier, only to be instantly beheaded by a razor-edged piece of obsidian. Inuyasha had a scant moment to yank both of them to safety as the stallion's body was crushed by another slab of solid rock, sending incandescent orange blood spraying in a wide arc. “Fuck! Kagome's gonna freak!” he gasped, trying to avoid perforation by shattering volcanic glass.
 
“Better a dead lizard than a dead dog! Hang on!” Koga fisted a handful of fire-rat and tucked Inuyasha under his arm as he took over their escape. The hanyou bit back a protest at being treated like a pup, but reluctantly conceded the wolf's superior speed. Several hair-raising moments later, as Koga sent them hurtling sideways to dodge a cascade of boulders, he glimpsed grey sky.
 
“We're almost out!”
 
“Good, because I'm tired of haulin' your ass around!” Koga threw Inuyasha ahead of him; the cursing hanyou somersaulted in mid-air, narrowly avoided becoming a thin layer of meat in a granite sandwich, then was seized by the scruff of his neck and heaved over yet another whirling piece of rock while Koga dove underneath. The wolf caught him again on the upswing and dragged him into the clear, where a few snowflakes drifted down amongst the dust and miasma. Once they had outrun the worst of the rocky avalanche, Koga sniffed deeply and took them flying in a totally different direction.
 
“Where the hell are you going? I gotta find Kagome!” Inuyasha protested.
 
“Your nose not workin', like your brain? Where d'you think I'm headed?”
 
Inuyasha fell silent as they came up on a most welcome sight. Kagome stood watch over Miroku, Sango and Kohaku; she spun towards them as they approached, a flaming arrow notched to her bowstring. Recognizing them in time, she dropped her weapon and ran to greet them while Kirara took over guarding the rest of their pack.
 
Koga released Inuyasha as soon as they touched down, allowing him a few moments' grace to straighten his clothing just before Kagome collided with him. She hugged him fiercely; he was happy to briefly lose himself in the embrace, even if Kagome smelled like miasma and deep sadness. Wondering what else had gone wrong, he stooped to press a quick kiss to her cheek, just before Koga cleared his throat.
 
The wolf prince stiffly bowed. “Forgive me for leaving you unprotected, princess,” he rumbled with genuine contrition.
 
“It wasn't like you had any choice,” she replied, seeming to shrink a little as she whispered, “At least you came out of it alive… unlike Tsu-kun and Kohire-kun.”
 
Fuck,” Inuyasha frowned, finally noting the forlorn tenbaryu clustered around Kurosei's forbidding black bulk. Yoen had tucked Misora under his chin, his flaming orange mane trailing over her scaly blue back, while the mare's head was bowed so low that her whiskers brushed the ground. Every once in a while, she let out a plaintive whimper, as if her heart was broken. Kurosei soothingly rubbed his muzzle up and down her ridged neck plates while watching the monk with glowing red eyes.
 
Suddenly going rigid in Inuyasha's arms, Kagome haltingly asked, “Wh-where's… Kumo…?”
 
The hanyou tightened his grip before reluctantly confirming her worst fears. “He died inside the mountain.”
 
Under the dirt and bruises, her face went very pale but she bit her lip to stave off the tears as she pushed at his chest to make him let go. Pulling off her shooter's glasses, she scrubbed at her eyes; Inuyasha squeezed her shoulder while Koga inspected the wintry sky. “There'll be time to mourn all of them… eventually,” she finally said, replacing the tinted lenses. “We need to find Sesshomaru-sama sooner rather than later.” Turning away, she briskly strode towards the huddled group, her black cloak flaring wide.
 
“We'd better locate your brother and fast, because that kid's life-scent is growing cold,” Koga muttered, hooking his thumb in Kohaku's direction. Kagome stooped to say something to Miroku, who nodded and softly called Kurosei to him. Kirara rubbed her furry cheek against Sango's hand where it cupped the teenager's shoulder; as the monk began the process of arranging his wife and his brother-in-law on Kurosei's back, Kirara gave a business-like meow and escorted Kagome towards Yoen and Misora.
 
While the neko-youkai opened negotiations on Kagome's behalf with the grieving tenbaryu, Koga jabbed Inuyasha's shoulder with a sharp claw. “Thanks for not letting Naraku get his filthy hands on me.”
 
“Don't mention it; you returned the favour just now,” Inuyasha found himself replying, instead of tossing off a rude comment about only wanting to keep the Jewel shards out of Naraku's clutches. The two canines stared at each other in disbelief for a moment, then folded their arms and stood back to back.
 
“We'd better not make this a habit, mutt.”
 
“No worries, wolf.”
 
While Kirara yowled a summons at Koga from Misora's back, Kagome had just swung up into Yoen's saddle when he lurched into the air and she nearly fell off again. The ground shuddered, splitting open in fast-moving cracks that widened and quickly filled with bubbling lava-like miasma. As Inuyasha sprinted towards the red stallion, he was suddenly covered in goose bumps and knew without a shred of doubt that something had gone completely wrong even before Kagome shouted, “Tainted Jewel shards… that way!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kikyo examined the crumbling mountain, noting in passing that the closer she ventured, the less snow fell, as if Naraku's miasma even affected the weather. Her attention was caught by a bright spark of demonic energy slipping out of the peak, circling briefly, and then heading straight for her. The large feather bore a dark-haired figure and a small, silken bundle; the rider appeared to be having a difference of opinion with her conveyance, because the feather twitched and bucked in flight several times. Every time its course altered, it was always re-oriented back in her direction. Kikyo narrowed her eyes as what sounded like a warning was shouted. That is Naraku's incarnation, Kagura…what is her game?
 
Rapidly deploying her bow, she flamed and fired an arrow at the speeding feather. She caught a glimpse of Kagura's panicked expression as the purifying missile struck home, sending the feather spiralling downward with its mortally wounded passenger clinging to the spine. Kikyo quickly notched another arrow and fired it into the crumpled pile of white filaments and silk before hurrying over. She warily circled the dying demoness, wondering what Naraku was up to this time.
 
“Priestess…” croaked a fading voice. “You fell into his trap…”
 
“What do you mean?” Kikyo barked.
 
Kagura weakly gestured towards the badly scorched fabric and pale flesh lying beside her. “This… was Naraku's… human heart…” she gasped out.
 
“He has purged himself of Onigumo's heart?” Kikyo said, more to herself than her victim, as realization sent a surge of fear through her clay body.
 
A delicate cough brought her attention back to the dying wind witch. Kagura's red eyes glazed over as she rasped, “He set you up… used me to lure you into destroying the only thing… that kept him from killing you.” She coughed again, bright blood leaking from the side of her mouth, staining her porcelain skin. “Grant me… a last request, priestess?”
 
Kikyo found herself pitying the incarnation, another life used and discarded by Naraku. “If it is within my power to give.”
 
“My desire was to ride the winds of freedom… but Naraku crushed my heart one time too many. Death will finally free me of him.”
 
“As you wish.” Kikyo blessed Kagura, then flamed her hand, leaving only tatters of silk, a fan, and a pair of elegant jade earrings scattered on the stony ground. She'd barely stood up when a thunderous `crack' split the air as the earth shook violently. A gaping crevasse zigzagged towards her all the way from the base of the collapsing mountain, bringing with it the acrid stench of miasma. Despite the rolling beneath her feet, Kikyo managed to scramble away from the threatening chasm, only to come up short when a glowing shield, accompanied by a gut-churning blast of dark energy, came to earth less than fifteen feet away.
 
“Kikyo… what a delightful surprise,” Naraku smirked. “Thank you for destroying my human heart; I am now free to exact my revenge.”
 
“Revenge? It is I who seek revenge upon you!”
 
“Onigumo's heart held me in thrall because of his attachment to you; for fifty years I have been prevented from reaching my full potential because of your pathetic attempt to remove the Jewel from this world. Two shards, Kikyo… two more shards from that miserable wolf are all that stand between me and ultimate power.”
 
“What will you do with all that power, Naraku?” she demanded, notching an arrow.
 
“Enjoy spreading as much misery as possible, starting now!” In the instant before she released her bowstring, another bone sword erupted out of his forearm, his entire limb elongating as it streaked towards her. The blade smashed through her bow and carved a great gash through her shoulder. The enchanted clay cracked and crumbled, freeing the captive souls; Kikyo fell to her knees as they rushed out, unable to raise even a small protective barrier.
 
“You evil…!”
 
“It wasn't easy expelling Onigumo's heart, but I was finally successful in purging myself of the last vestiges of humanity that plagued my soul.” As Kikyo pushed herself to her feet, Naraku gestured to the deep fissure filled with bubbling ooze. “Like the magma that once filled Mount Hakurei, my miasma now pours through those crevasses. You will be utterly devoured, with no chance of escape.”
 
The bony weapon disappeared into his arm, and then his fingers stretched, warping into nightmarish talons just before he reached across the distance and drove them right through Kikyo's chest. She was lifted into the air, her shattered quiver falling away as he shoved her out over the chasm. With a cruel smile, Naraku twisted and flexed his sharpened appendages, shaking her like a rag doll until she came loose.
 
A fountain of miasma marked her entry into the foul liquid; she briefly floated face down before she was sucked under. Naraku retracted his fingers as he strode to the lip, watching with dark satisfaction as Kikyo's billowing white sleeves and hakama burst into flame. So absorbed in savouring his triumph, he missed the arrival of hostile forces.
 
“All this effort to kill a single woman?” asked an icy voice. “You remain fond of the grand gesture, Naraku.”
 
The dark-haired demonic creature slowly turned, giving the taiyoukai a good look at his new form. “Ah, my dear Sesshomaru… how nice of you to attend my victorious debut.”
 
“How dare you address Sesshomaru-sama so familiarly, you evil wretch!” blustered Jaken from his perch on Ah-Un's back. Naraku noted that the accompanying guardsmen stayed well back from the confrontation.
 
“Jaken, remove yourself,” Sesshomaru rumbled; the toad-imp and his mount hastily exited the vicinity as the taiyoukai assessed his opponent. “Will you fight, or flee?”
 
In reply, Naraku bowed while gesturing expansively. “I will stand my ground, Lord of the West; I invite you to test my defences.” In a single movement, Tokijin flashed, and the sword's pressure sliced Naraku into ribbons. However, being dismembered only caused him to smile broadly as a barrier erupted, containing the shattered remnants of his body. “I appreciate the effort, my lord, but allow me to demonstrate my new attack… I think you might recognize the energy it uses.”
 
The barrier flexed and spat out a crackling purple ball of energy aimed directly at the taiyoukai. Sesshomaru leaned forward, planting his feet as he raised Tokijin into the teeth of the blast. The malign power hungrily reached for him, pushing eagerly against the dark blade. Tokijin's aura flared, essentially fighting against itself; Sesshomaru was forced back. Powering up his aura, he fought through the punishing energy and threw himself at what was left of Naraku. Bringing down Tokijin in a vicious slash, he cut through both the barrier and Naraku's head.
 
Missing an eye as well as most of one half of his face, Naraku still managed to crack a mocking smile. “I thank you for your participation… in return I give you fair warning; the next time I see you, the final shards will be mine!” All the shredded remains of his new body turned into a twist of dark vapour and vanished into the chilly ether.
 
Sesshomaru glared after Naraku while sheathing Tokijin, noting the southerly direction of the dark creature's escape; his patrol edged closer as the snow began to fall again, sizzling and spitting as it melted in the bubbling miasma filling the fissure. “Find both Inuyasha's pack and the wolves; we leave immediately,” he ordered.
 
“They've found us, my lord,” said a captain, pointing. Sesshomaru turned to see a brilliant red tenbaryu descending out of the sky, followed by a black and a blue. The taiyoukai noted the absence of his guardsmen as well as the grey tenbaryu, and correctly guessed that more casualties had been sustained. Yoen was still ten feet above the ground when Inuyasha bailed off his back and charged towards his brother.
 
“What happened here?” he demanded.
 
Sesshomaru gestured towards the bubbling crevasse. “It appears that Naraku's target the entire time was the undead priestess.”
 
The hanyou dashed over and snatched up one half of Kikyo's broken bow. “Did you just stand by and watch while she was killed?” His voice was ragged and dangerous, his claws and fangs lengthening.
 
“I arrived too late to intervene,” came the cool reply, and then Kagome stepped in between them.
 
She first straightened, then bowed deeply. “My lord, I crave a boon,” she intoned formally; Sesshomaru regarded her with interest.
 
“Speak.”
 
“Our pack-mate's brother was murdered by Naraku; I beg the favour of Tenseiga.”
 
The taiyoukai glanced towards the black tenbaryu, whose passengers were being carefully unloaded by his guardsmen, and focussed on the teenage boy's body. “Rin's attacker,” he said with distaste.
 
“He did not have free will, my lord. He was no more than Naraku's puppet,” Kagome replied, sweat prickling her neck. “Please… have mercy on his sister if not for his sake alone; he is all she has left, because Naraku wiped out their entire village for the sake of a single Jewel shard.”
 
Sesshomaru looked again at Kohaku, but this time he noted the shattered slayer as she hugged her brother's limp body and his stern expression thawed the slightest bit. At the same moment, Tenseiga pulsed at his hip, and he gave way to the sword's demand with reasonably good grace. “Come, Inuyasha… you must officially accept this whelp into your pack,” he called to the silent hanyou standing at the chasm's edge, the broken bow clenched in his fist.
 
“Thank you, my lord,” Kagome breathed, and stood aside as Inuyasha threw the curved piece of wood and sinew into the gorge before stalking past, his eyes hidden by his bangs and his hands shoved into his sleeves. She watched the brothers approach her friends, right up until Sesshomaru drew Tenseiga. Just then, her eye was caught by a circling movement downriver from where she stood. Kikyo's soul collectors? The shimmering creatures each held a glowing orb in their multiple legs as they twined in mid-air before swooping into the crevasse. Kagome ran to look, hardly daring to hope. Kikyo survived? Naraku failed? Instead, she was in time to watch the fragile creatures dive into the miasma and instantly vaporize, their precious cargo of stolen souls escaping their grasp to streak upwards into the leaden sky.
 
Kagome bowed her head in honour of her predecessor, and nearly missed the emergence of a single, brightly-burning sphere from the corrosive river. Wide-eyed, she watched the orb quickly rise out of the crevasse until it was eye level. It hovered for a scant moment, then zipped towards her, slowed, circling her like a small comet. Three times it whirled around her, trailing tingling warmth in its wake. The light of its tail streamed through her fingers, and she was immediately enveloped in sensations radiating love and acceptance. Kagome thought she heard a panicked yell from Inuyasha's direction, but ignored it as the softly glowing ball came to rest in her cupped hands. She experienced a moment of complete peace and understanding just before Kikyo's soul burrowed into her chest.
 
Driven to her knees, Kagome screamed hoarsely once as her soul was torn open and rearranged, and then again as her opposing energies, which had peacefully co-existed this entire time, began grappling for each other's throats. “Kikyo! Stop it!” she shrieked as Fenik's enraged growling reverberated through her skull while great bolts of pink and silver power violently arced all over her body.
 
Inuyasha was horror-stricken as Kagome collapsed, clutching her chest as she screamed at a dead woman. He started towards her, heedless of the danger, but came up short as a guardsman shouted and pointed upwards. A churning, howling, drooling mass of minor demons dove on Kagome's huddled form; beside him the air burned as Sesshomaru's energy whip formed. As the horde tumbled over itself in the effort to be the first to reach her, the observers were blinded by scorching light as a powerful barrier erupted. A torch of purifying energy blasted up into the sky, creating a false snowfall of ash as the demons simply vanished. It took some time before the flames shrank and streaks of silver wove through them until the girl was completely obscured inside a blazing ovoid barrier.
 
Miroku appeared at Inuyasha's elbow, soberly examining the strange cocoon. “This is ominous,” he murmured. Lowering his voice even further, he added, “will it be Kagome-sama that emerges, or a different person altogether?”
 
Inuyasha just had time to flinch at the idea of Kikyo reappearing in Kagome's body when red and green flickers raced all over the surface of the barrier just before it split open from top to bottom. The two halves morphed into columns of flame, shooting up into the sky to form towering wings. Rocks began randomly exploding as Kagome took several steps forward, her hair blowing wildly in the updraft. Shielding themselves from the stony shrapnel, her audience fell back, gaping at the raw power on full display as well as the sight of a diamond-shaped pattern of four points of light glowing on Kagome's forehead.
 
“The mark of Midoriko!” Miroku shouted over the roar of the flames, then echoed the dismayed gasps all around when the young woman raised her eyes to stare fixedly at her shocked audience. The silver of her irises had spilled over their boundaries and completely flooded the visible eyeball, lacking even dark pinpricks of pupils to relieve the metallic expanse. She appeared to look right through them for another long moment as she moved forward, then barely caught herself from falling as the fiery wings abruptly folded and dove back inside her.
 
Inuyasha was restrained by Miroku's gauntleted hand on his arm. “Allow me to approach her, Inuyasha; I will confirm who we are dealing with.” At the hanyou's terse nod, he strode quickly to where Kagome stood shrouded in swirling snow, shivering despite the thick fire-rat cloak, her eerie eyes now squeezed shut. “Kagome-sama?” he gently asked, halting outside the range of her sword, just in case it was someone else now in control of Kagome's body.
 
The young woman ground the heel of her hand against her forehead, muttering, “I have a splitting headache, Miroku; did you put the medical kit in Kurosei's saddlebags after we treated the villagers the other day?”
 
“I do not believe that one of your famous pills will cure this particular pain,” Miroku said, relieved that it at least sounded like Kagome was still in control of her body. “You again bear the markings of the priestess Midoriko.”
 
Running her fingertips over her forehead as if trying to confirm his claim, she squinted up at him, and he couldn't help but show his consternation at her unnervingly blank eyes. “What else?” she asked warily.
 
“Your eyes are now completely silver… the white, the iris, the pupil… all are a single colour.”
 
Kagome groaned quietly. “Great. Simply fucking great… wait. How's Kohaku?” she asked, glancing around.
 
This time his smile was unforced. “Alive, thank Buddha for Sesshomaru-sama's intervention.” He noticed her tinted glasses lying on the ground a few feet away and retrieved them, then offered his arm because she still seemed off-balance and led her towards Inuyasha and his brother. Kagome didn't let go of Miroku until her hanyou extended his hand; she still stumbled during the transfer. The monk bowed and returned to the group surrounding Sango and Kohaku; Kagome watched the teenager's eyes open as Miroku knelt to speak to him. Kohaku's head was pillowed in Sango's lap, and someone had draped a spare cloak over him.
 
Turning back to Sesshomaru, she carefully inclined her head, clinging to Inuyasha's hand because it seemed like the ground wouldn't stay still. “Thank you again, sir.”
 
“Tenseiga desired it,” he answered, inspecting her face just as intensely as Inuyasha, finally reaching a long claw to tap her forehead. “This is the sign of the warrior-priestess?”
 
“If Miroku and Inuyasha say so; I can't confirm anything until I find a mirror.”
 
“They're definitely Midoriko's marks; we haven't seen them in a really long time… since Muso, I think?” Inuyasha slid his free arm around her shoulders and pulled her close as Sesshomaru spoke again.
 
“Why have your eyes changed?”
 
Kagome shrugged helplessly. “Best guess is that it's a side-effect of Fenik's defence mechanisms because he's now dealing with Kikyo's power as well as Midoriko's. I'll ask him later.”
 
Inuyasha peered worriedly at her. “Are you sure you're all right?”
 
She answered more bravely than she felt, “I think so. Aside from my eyes insisting that it's too bright, and being able to hear a tenbaryu's stomach growl from over here…”
 
“More importantly, does your spiritual energy still recognize us?” Sesshomaru inquired.
 
“I'm afraid to risk testing it,” she demurred, huddling inside her cloak as Inuyasha hugged her tighter.
 
He said nothing, but extended his hand in a clear command. Kagome gulped and laid her fingers across his palm. Closing her eyes, she desperately fought down rising panic as her spiritual power instantly reacted to the taiyoukai's demonic aura. When Inuyasha's rose in turn to push against Sesshomaru's, the pink energy practically hissed.
 
Kikyo… stop! she mentally ordered. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha are on our side! The spiritual power settled down after a final, menacing crackle; Kagome drew a deep breath before cautiously extending her aura. To her intense relief, the extra energy stayed quiescent as red and green joined the silver twisting around all three of them, while the three blades voiced agitated howls.
 
Sesshomaru pulled his hand away. “Where are the wolf prince's followers?”
 
“Were they swallowed along with Tsu and Kohire?” Inuyasha asked, expecting the worst.
 
“They remained outside the mountain,” Kagome replied, feeling chilled again, even though Inuyasha's embrace was warm and reassuring.
 
“We'd better get outta here,” the hanyou said. “We don't know where Naraku is…”
 
“Heading in the general direction of your village,” Sesshomaru casually remarked.
 
WHAT?
 
He executed a one-shoulder shrug. “It will take time for Naraku to reassemble himself.” Blinking his long eyelashes free of an errant snowflake, he blandly added, “We will reach the village by this time tomorrow.”
 
Kagome struggled in Inuyasha's arms, the scent of her fear nearly choking him, her racing heart echoing through his body. “We have to go! He'll get Kaede-sama… Shippo… Shiori…!” she wailed, pounding his chest.
 
“And Rin,” he said, waiting as his words penetrated her fog of panic and she stopped thrashing. “If my brother thought his ward was in immediate danger, he'd be halfway there by now.” Kagome looked to the taiyoukai; he favoured her with a calm glance before gliding away. As she sagged against Inuyasha, Sesshomaru issued orders, setting off a flurry of activity.
 
The hanyou cradled the trembling young woman, running his hands up and down her back while she clung to him. Nudging her head with his chin, he urged her to look up. When she obeyed, he kissed her firmly. “It'll be okay, Kagome,” he promised, threading his fingers into her snow-spangled hair to cup the back of her head.
 
“It's just… so much has happened in the last few days… so many deaths…” she whimpered, trying to hide again, but he wouldn't let her.
 
“We're going to win,” Inuyasha said, his golden eyes steely with conviction. His voice dropped into that lower register that usually made her toes curl, but his words froze her heart. “In a couple of days, all this will seem like a bad dream.”
 
Kagome accepted his tender kiss while another layer of ice formed over her emotions, locking away her tears. If you had any idea that our time together is measured in mere hours now… gods, if you only knew.
 
“Keep your chin up, koishii; it'll all be over soon,” Inuyasha urged, giving her hand a comforting squeeze. Trailing his other hand through her hair before bringing it up to shade his eyes against the thickly falling snow, he noted, “Looks like the scouts located Koga's two boys, so we can leave.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The reunited task force made one stopover on its return flight, when Sesshomaru decreed a break from enduring the blizzard-like conditions; Kagome thought his ear-tips looked a little frosty. No one had eaten since the previous morning, so as soon as the troops landed, there was a scramble to gather wood, light fires and organize the rice cauldrons. Foragers appeared with sloshing water skins and a gutted deer; the carcass was quickly stripped and the meat cut into thin strips for speed of cooking.
 
Kagome hung back from the bustle around the fire pits; Fenik had confirmed that her `new' eyes were the result of Kikyo's arrival in his vicinity, but he was plainly unhappy, so she didn't query him about her enhanced senses. The guardsmen were trying very hard not to openly stare at her, but she clearly heard their discreet whispers even from across the clearing as they discussed the changes in her appearance. It was pitch black and snow-veiled outside the circle of firelight, but she had no difficulty in noticing how Yoen had manoeuvred Kurosei next to Misora, and then protectively shielded the blue mare as he took Kumo's place as leader of their little herd.
 
Koga approached, a cocky grin creasing his handsome face, his vivid blue eyes twinkling. “How ya doin', princess?” he asked cheerfully, bumping her gently with his shoulder.
 
“As well as can be expected,” she replied, then asked, “How are you and Misora getting along?”
 
“She sure beats running the whole way… and she matches my eyes so well, don't you think?” He grinned even wider when Kagome giggled in spite of herself.
 
“Misora mustn't have a very strong sense of smell, since she can tolerate your stink, wolf,” Inuyasha jibed, handing Kagome a mess tin filled with rice and venison. “Eat up, koishii, because we've one helluva job once we reach the village.”
 
“What's the plan?” she asked, her chopsticks poised.
 
“Sesshomaru wants to move the villagers further away from the Bone Eater's Well.”
 
Hakkaku came up to deliver another container to Koga, who asked, “Move the villagers?” as he tucked into the heaping metal bowl.
 
“Sesshomaru figures we'll be there by early afternoon, find a new site, set up the supply tents, move the villagers, their belongings and their animals by tenbaryu. You and the houshi set a new barrier… no problem. We'll have plenty of time to prepare for Naraku,” Inuyasha grunted, shovelling in a bite from his own container.
 
“The bastard better show up,” the wolf prince growled, his fangs glinting in the firelight.
 
“How's it feel, being the stinky ol' bait?” the hanyou jibed.
 
Before Koga could riposte, Kagome hastily intervened. “Wolfling, there's something you should know, because it could mean the difference between you being live bait… or not.”
 
He arched a dark eyebrow. “What're you talking about?”
 
“Do you recall a few days ago, when Sesshomaru-sama was going to melt off your head?
 
“Er, yeah…?”
 
“The first time we met, your wolves had just annihilated a village… remember?”
 
“How could I forget? First time I laid eyes on you, princess, and first time I scored one on the mutt,” he snickered.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama's ward is the lone survivor of that village. She was killed by your wolves and then resurrected by Tenseiga.”
 
Koga's grin vanished. “Crap. Now she's part of his pack?”
 
“She's staying at our village right now. I figure that you have approximately two seconds to convince the young lady that you're harmless, because if she starts screaming… you're toast. I won't be able to save you this time.”
 
Koga stared at Kagome for a few moments, then scratched his chin thoughtfully. “D'you have any suggestions?”
 
She bit her lip while she quickly sorted through his options, then nodded briskly. “Okay, here's what we do…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Early the next afternoon…
 
“Rii-chan! Aren't you dizzy yet?”
 
The little girl squealed excitedly in reply, her dark head thrown back and her mouth opened wide as she spun in wild circles. “Not at all, Shi-chan! This is wonderful! Momiji-san would never let me do this at the fortress!”
 
From their vantage point on the edge of the frozen field, a pair of twin guardsmen exchanged a wry look. “I somehow doubt that Oba-san had this in mind when she sent that package of winter clothing last week,” Ieji muttered.
 
“Ah, lighten up!” Ita scoffed heartily. “Even Oba-san was a pup once!” Pretending to stretch, he pounced instead and thoroughly washed Ieji's face in the fluffy white stuff before taking off, barking with laughter, across the field towards Rin and Shiori.
 
“C'mon, girls! Snow-tag… Ieji's `it'!” Ita transformed on the fly into a massive black dog, skidding to a stop between the two astonished children. Rin recovered first, throwing herself onto his broad back as he crouched in the snow.
 
“Shiori-chan! Quick!” she urged. The little hanyou's red-violet eyes lit up and she eagerly clambered aboard. Ita waited until the children had firm hold of his fur before insolently flicking his tail in Ieji's direction and galloping off across the snowy expanse.
 
Ieji slowly rolled onto his back, wiping his soaking bangs out of his face as a pair of bright green eyes filled his visual field. “Need some help?” Shippo asked, grinning toothily while dangling a handful of his trick toys. The inu-youkai chuckled, reaching to tousle the kitsune's russet hair as he pushed himself upright.
 
“You're on, Shippo-kun… wait… what is that?” In the act of brushing off his hakama, Ieji went on alert; Shippo imitated his tense stance as they squinted at fast-moving specks winking in and out through the thick veil of snowflakes. Across the field, Ita stopped capering, his giggling passengers falling silent as his body went rigid and his head came up. He whuffed once in warning for the girls to tighten their grip before trotting back to where Ieji and Shippo stared intently at the sky.
 
“Another patrol, bringing more orphans?” the kitsune suggested as Rin and Shiori slid off Ita's back, allowing the guardsman to transform. He immediately hunkered down, protectively circling both girls with his arms.
 
“That is Kohire-kun's Yoen in the lead, and… Kurosei right behind?” Ieji muttered uneasily.
 
“I see Tsu-kun's Misora, too,” Ita added.
 
“Where's Kumo? Where's Okibi?” Shippo cried shrilly, fear tainting his voice and his scent. Shiori immediately ducked out of Ita's embrace and threw her arms around the kit.
 
“They'll all come home,” she insisted firmly. “Have faith in Inuyasha-san!” Taking hold of his hand, she pulled Shippo over to Ita and extracted Rin. “We'll tell Kaede-sama and the headman that our friends are on their way,” she briskly announced, and proceeded to hustle the other two through the drifting snow towards Kaede's hut.
 
As the task force approached, the guardsmen realized that its numbers had dramatically declined, and the worry roiling their guts increased. Finally Ita ventured, “Perhaps some went on leave back to the fortress?”
 
“It's a possibility,” Ieji reluctantly agreed, “but Shippo-kun is right… where are Kumo and Okibi?”
 
“Arashi wouldn't eat yesterday, and it took her forever to settle last night,” Ita muttered. “Even though she doesn't have a soul bond with Kumo, she certainly seemed worried about something.”
 
“Don't even think it, brother,” Ieji began fiercely before breaking off when the scarlet of fire-rat finally became distinguishable from Yoen's red hide, with a smaller, black-wrapped figure riding pillion. “Kumo must have perished, but Inuyasha-sama and Kagome-sama appear to be unharmed.”
 
“Thank the gods for that.” Ita breathed a silent prayer of thanks before adding, “There are three passengers astride Kurosei; Miroku-sama and Sango-sama, plus one other.”
 
“I see them… by all the gods of heaven and hell! Is that a wolf youkai riding Misora?” Ieji demanded.
 
The twin guardsmen gaped at each other and then squinted back up into the sky. “There's a story behind that, I'll wager,” Ita smirked, making a show of straightening his tunic before reaching over to run several strands of Ieji's wet hair through his fingers until the water beaded on the ends. Flicking his claws, he sadly shook his head as he `helpfully' dusted snow off his brother's broad shoulders. “Tsk, tsk. I doubt you'll receive full points if Sesshomaru-sama were to conduct a surprise inspection, Ji-chan.”
 
“Speaking of that, Ta-chan… have you shovelled the floozies out of your quarters?” Ieji asked sweetly. With that final jibe, the twins fell by force of habit and long training into the very upright posture demanded by Kiriaisai-sama when greeting a superior officer. When Yoen thumped onto the snow-covered field, they snapped off crisp salutes before bowing in unison, chorusing, “Welcome home, my lord and lady.”
 
The hanyou leapt down from the red tenbaryu's back, turning to assist Kagome from the saddle and bringing her forward before he replied, “Keh. The village is still standing, so I assume you two didn't fuck up.”
 
Grinning, Ita was about to cheek back when the words stuck in his throat at Kagome's altered appearance. She quickly averted the strange, blank eyes she unsuccessfully hid behind her tinted glasses, but that left him staring at the glowing marks blazoning her forehead. With a quick glance at an equally stunned Ieji, he remembered his manners in time to not blurt out an indelicate question. “Was your mission successful?” he asked carefully.
 
Inuyasha growled, “The fucker escaped, but Sesshomaru figures he's headed this way for round two, so drop the chit-chat. It's gonna be a fucking busy afternoon… hey, runts!” Catching sight of Shiori coming across the field in company with Shippo, Rin, Kaede and a contingent of villagers, he took off to meet them half-way and pretended to be bowled over by the little hanyou's enthusiastic greeting.
 
As Kagome made to follow, Ita halted her by the simple expedient of stepping directly into her path. “My lady?”
 
Silver flashed, along with a guarded smile before the young woman crouched, holding out her arms to Shippo. The kitsune put on the brakes just in time to avoid ploughing into her, then flung his small arms around her neck and hugged her fiercely… before pulling back, wrinkling his nose, and scowling. “You smell terrible! Why are your eyes all weird? Is Naraku dead? Do you know your forehead is glowing? Who hit you?”
 
She biffed him on the ear. “So I've been told, shit happens, no, yes and a dead guy.” Rin crept closer, her dark eyes very wide as she examined Kagome's bruised, dirt-smudged and supernatural appearance. “Hello, Rin-chan,” she said.
 
“Kagome-sama? You're hurt…” she trailed off, her small finger tips brushing over the young woman's damaged cheek.
 
Managing not to wince at the gentle contact, Kagome smiled reassuringly as she hugged the child. Behind her, Koga cleared his throat. Mentally crossing her fingers, she stood up and pivoted towards the wolf prince, guiding both children along with her.
 
“Koga? What're you doing here?” Shippo demanded, taking up a defensive position in front of Kagome and Rin, his hands fisted on his hips and his tail bristling.
 
Kagome gently tugged on his top-knot. “Stand down, Ship-dip.” With a meaningful glance at Koga, she continued, “Rin-chan, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine… Koga-sama, Prince of the Eastern Wolf Tribe.”
 
The little girl shrank back against Kagome's legs; Koga dropped to one knee and bowed his head. “It is an honour to meet you, Rin-sama,” he intoned with great dignity.
 
The child giggled nervously, “Rin is not a lady, Koga-sama.”
 
“Not yet,” he replied grandly, raising his head to grin toothily at her; the laughter died in her throat at the sight of his fangs.
 
“I was killed by wolves,” she said in a very small voice.
 
Koga went down on both knees and pressed his forehead into the snow. “I ask your forgiveness, Rin-sama. My wolves will never eat human flesh again… I swear on my father's grave.” He stayed in the submissive position even when he heard hesitant footfalls crunching the snow and felt the child's warmth as she knelt in front of him. Small hands tentatively patted his shoulder, so he risked peering up at her through his bangs. Rin examined his face intently, as if she weighed his soul, then finally broke out in a sunshine-bright smile.
 
“Of course I forgive you! I am grateful, because if I hadn't died, I wouldn't be with Sesshomaru-sama right now.” Rin paused, then daringly pressed her small hand to his cheek, staring into his blue eyes. “If you are Kagome-sama's friend, then you must be honourable and trustworthy, so you are my friend, too.” She said this with such conviction that Koga found himself speechless for once and could only bob his head. Rin giggled, a happy sound this time, then looked over his shoulder. Her jaw dropped. “Kohaku-kun!
 
Scrambling around the kneeling wolf prince, she practically flung herself at the teenager standing next to his sister. He managed to stay on his feet, looking rather bemused as the child's delighted welcome. “Hello, Rin-chan. It's good to see you,” he said, smiling quietly down at her upturned face.
 
“I'm so glad, Kohaku-kun!” she burbled, squeezing him tightly before letting go and making a bee-line for a tall figure who had just dismounted from a twin-headed tenbaryu. His white pelt and silks ruffling in the cold breeze, whiter than even the swirling snowflakes, Sesshomaru watched his ward slip and slide towards him. His face was as impassive as ever, but his yellow eyes were warm.
 
Kagome held her breath, wondering if Rin was about to tackle the taiyoukai in front of his entire patrol and the villagers, but the child managed to not slide into his legs. Instead, she began hopping up and down with her hands clasped behind her back. “Welcome, my lord, welcome!” she cheerfully greeted the taciturn youkai. Sesshomaru rested his hand on Rin's head before stooping to take a deep inhalation of her hair. He murmured something in her ear that halted her bouncing but caused a huge smile; when he straightened, she wrapped her chilled fingers in his pelt.
 
“We have four or five hours until dusk to do what we have to do,” Inuyasha called from his spot beside Kaede, Shiori perched on his shoulders. Shippo dodged around Koga to first greet Kohaku and then Miroku, Sango and Kirara. Kagome noticed two guardsmen from Sesshomaru's patrol emerging from within the village and guessed that they were Yumiko's seconds, who had stayed behind when they delivered the orphans the previous night. Lucky we ran into her in the middle of that blizzard, or she'd have had a cold trip all the way back to Mount Hakurei for nothing!
 
Koga glanced around at the strange mix of youkai, humans and hanyou congregating on the field as he stood up. Small children ventured into the herd of tenbaryu, offering handfuls of hay or small apples to the colourful beasts. Older ones brought wrapped parcels of food to the troopers, and a gaggle of fluttering teenage girls giggled behind their hands. “This is quite the place,” he muttered in disbelief, rubbing the back of his neck as Ginta and Hakkaku joined them.
 
“It's unique, all right,” she agreed as Ieji and Ita immediately placed themselves on either side of her, in a move so reminiscent of her lost Tsu and Kohire that she had to bite her lip for a moment before saying, “Allow me to formally introduce the newest auxiliaries to the House of the West… Koga-sama, Ginta-kun and Hakkaku-kun.” The wolves bowed, Koga merely inclining his head, but the other two cringed nearly down to the ground. “These are Ieji-kun and Ita-kun, members of Sesshomaru-sama's personal guard.” The twin inu-youkai bowed, but not as low as the wolves, as Kagome noticed Inuyasha's impatient summons. “Shall we, gentlemen? We have work to do.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Nightfall
 
The huge field hospital-size tents that had protected the supplies a few weeks before were now pitched half a league away in a forest clearing handy to the river, protected by a shimmering barrier, Jaken and most of the remaining guardsmen. The villagers had accommodated this change as well as the addition of the orphaned children from Mount Hakurei with good humour, and the tents were lively places on this wintry evening.
 
Arashi was now ensconced in a makeshift paddock within the barrier and being mother-henned by Yoen, Misora and Kurosei. The pregnant mare had nearly broken Kagome's heart with her obvious distress, but once she was flown to the new location in a carefully rigged makeshift sling, she accepted both Misora's doting and Yoen's newly protective streak. She'd perked up a little, enough to eat something and nicker at Kagome, so it was apparent that she'd survive Kumo's loss.
 
A sibilant hiss filled the chilly air as the bonfire licked up the fat snowflakes outside the storage-shed-cum-command-post at the edge of Kaede's field. Bone-tired, filthy and more than a little queasy from not eating enough before working flat out alongside the guardsmen for the last few hours, Kagome huddled inside her cloak with Shippo on her lap. Inuyasha sat beside her, cuddling Shiori while staring into the leaping flames, lost in his own thoughts. Sango and Miroku murmured together next to the hanyou, all of them sheltering under the meagre protection of the building's eaves.
 
Sesshomaru appeared in the circle of firelight, his sharp yellow eyes fastened on Kagome. “All non-combatants must return to the shield,” he ordered in a tone that brooked no argument. Shippo and Shiori reluctantly shifted themselves from the adults' laps, but halted in confusion when the taiyoukai spoke again, turning his stern gaze to Miroku and Sango. “You will also withdraw.”
 
“N-no…” Sango stammered in dismay. “No! This is my battle, too!” she appealed to Inuyasha, who stared hard at his brother for a long moment before flattening his ears into his hair and looking away.
 
As Miroku echoed Sango's protest, Kagome studied Sesshomaru; with a sickening lurch, she understood. “I agree with Sesshomaru-sama,” she said quietly, averting her eyes to avoid their shocked looks.
 
“Kagome…?” Sango asked in a hurt tone.
 
Standing up, Kagome looked the slayer right in the eye. “Don't give Naraku the chance to destroy what you've gained… a husband that loves you, and your brother returned alive.”
 
Sango's bitter complaint died on her lips as she contemplated Kagome's unflinching expression. “You only want to protect us?”
 
“You and those dear to me; Shippo-kun, Shiori-chan, Rin-chan and Kaede-sama are in your care.” Miroku and Sango looked askance at each other, but their fate was sealed when a fully-transformed Kirara appeared out of the snowy murk to stand beside Sesshomaru, her red gaze stern. She emitted a single, sharp, commanding yowl that required no translation. The slayer sighed deeply; Kagome caught a glimmer of tears rimming Sango's dark lashes. Stepping forward, she caught hold of the older girl's hands. In a low voice she said, “I can cope with whatever happens tomorrow if I know you and the others are safe.”
 
Sango stared into Kagome's face for a long moment. “Very well,” she capitulated.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome choked, her heart in her throat, but was saved from betraying her foreknowledge by Sango's tight embrace before the slayer stepped back to allow Miroku his turn. As she went to Inuyasha, the monk enfolded Kagome in his arms. “Be good to her,” she muttered into his chest. Miroku paused, puzzled, but then several suspicions that had rattled around in the back of his mind for months fell into place, and he knew that this was more than a simple until-we-meet-again.
 
Placing his lips right next to her ear to foil youkai eavesdroppers, he breathed, “I will, Kagome-sama… farewell.”
 
Ever after, Kagome wasn't sure how she managed to not break down right then and there, but she managed to betray nothing more than a trembling lip when he released her. Taking a deep breath, she watched as Miroku clasped forearms with Inuyasha and bowed to Sesshomaru. The most difficult challenge then presented itself in the form of concerned green eyes and a small clawed hand tugging on her fingers. Smiling bravely, she crouched down to hug her kitsune. “Be good, Ship-dip, and I'll see you as soon as I can… all right?”
 
Shippo gave her a suspicious look before nodding solemnly. “You bet, Kagome.” He stepped back to allow Shiori her turn; Kagome swooped the little hanyou into her arms and tried not to hug her too desperately.
 
Pressing a kiss to Shiori's silver hair, Kagome whispered, “Look after Shippo for me.” Red-violet eyes were serious beyond Shiori's years as she nodded before giving Kagome a hug and slipping off to join Shippo on Kirara's back. Sango smiled brightly at her friends before bowing to Sesshomaru and then joining the children on board the fire-cat. As he made to follow, Miroku blessed all of them before bowing. With a final flourish of his staff, he and the others were gone into the darkness.
 
Kagome's heart was already in a knot when Sesshomaru proceeded to deal her another emotional blow. “I have a message for your commanding officer,” he stated. “You will deliver it tonight.”
 
What?” She stared at his implacable face, and knew there was no escape. He turned, clearly intending that she should follow, but she quickly objected, “I can't leave! What if Naraku shows up in the middle of the night?”
 
“That is not his way,” Sesshomaru said, his eyes glinting. “He prefers the grand entrance.” His finger crooked, a clear summons, but she still hung back. His gaze narrowing, the taiyoukai added, “He will not appear until dawn at the earliest.”
 
“How do you know?” she demanded recklessly. He arched an eyebrow.
 
“Sesshomaru's right,” Inuyasha interrupted, drawing her attention. “There's no scent of the bastard so far, and he might not show up for a couple of days, depending on how badly Tokijin damaged him.” He sounded so sure, so confident that she was helpless to protest. Sliding his arm around the beleaguered girl, Inuyasha addressed Sesshomaru with a terse, “Give us a minute,” then led her around the corner of the shed.
 
Inuyasha backed Kagome up against the wall while cupping her face in his large hands. He leaned in to kiss her softly and tenderly until her rigid posture relaxed slightly. Nipping at her lower lip, he murmured, “Take a good look at your bedroom floor, koishii, because you won't be seeing it for a long, long time while we celebrate our victory.” Smirking at her baffled expression, he waited until understanding dawned, quickly followed by flustered spluttering, then laughed and hugged her tightly. “Relax, Kagome; we know Naraku's dead meat as soon as he's in our sights, so don't wind yourself up too much, okay?” With a final kiss, he cheekily tweaked her nose. “Oi… have a shower while you're over there, wench… you reek. Why do you think I made you ride behind me instead of cuddling you in front?”
 
Ignoring the good-natured jibe while fighting down the almost visceral need to wrap herself so tightly around him that they could never be torn apart, Kagome diverted herself by taking hold of his rosary with both hands and began lifting the strand over his head. Completely taken by surprise, Inuyasha grabbed her wrists. “What the hell are you doing?” he demanded.
 
Thinking fast, she replied, “I'm not sure if this somehow restricts your youki, and we need to fight without limits.”
 
Amber eyes studied her face before he released her arms and bowed his head, allowing her to ease the rosary over his ears and down the length of his hair. As she wound the strand around her gauntleted wrist, he inhaled deeply, first tilting his face up to the sky before leaning down to take her mouth in a searing kiss. “I think you might be right,” he purred against her lips, his hands working their way under the cloak to hold her tightly as his tongue demanded entrance to her mouth.
 
“You can have it back later if you really want it,” Kagome croaked when he finally let her breathe several long, intense moments later, valiantly fighting the urge to burst into tears. Seemingly unaware of her distress, Inuyasha suddenly grinned widely, showing off slightly elongated fangs.
 
“Say it,” he urged.
 
“Say… it?” she asked in a strangled tone, then clued in. Managing a crooked smile, she kissed his chin, then whispered, “Sit, koibito… sit, sit, sit.”
 
His eyes were flame-lit bronze as he pulled her close. “I love you, koishii… now go home and get some rest, see your family… then we'll kick some ass when the fucker shows his face.” Without giving her time to reply, he ushered her back around the building and handed her off to his brother. She gazed at her hanyou for a long moment as he smiled jauntily, so strong, so confident, so him that her heart hurt at what was to come. Pulling the hood of her cloak up over her head, she blew him a kiss before turning and following Sesshomaru into the snow-swept night.
 
The taiyoukai left only the lightest traces of his passage on the snowy ground, but she barely noticed as she floundered in his wake, blinded by tears. The leather-soled boots she wore had no tread, which certainly didn't help. When she let out a stream of lurid curses as her feet went out from under her for the fourth or fifth time on their way to the bottom of the stairs leading up into the forest, Sesshomaru stopped in his tracks. Unable to see past her misery, she blundered into his back and rebounded into a snow drift.
 
“You are too slow,” was all the warning she received before Sesshomaru heaved her under his arm like a sack of rice and took her into the sky. Kagome yelped and grabbed his obi where it wrapped around his waist, promptly freezing her bare fingers against his lacquered armour. When she lifted her head, snowflakes clogged her eyelashes and stung her face, so she kept her head down and her eyes closed for the duration of the flight. At least I have an excuse for the tears.
 
When they touched down next to the well, she hastily let go as he released his grip and nearly fell again. Biting back a cry of frustration, she grabbed for the well's rim, but Sesshomaru caught hold of her wrist and yanked her to her feet. Ignoring the jolt of pain, she managed to say, “Thank you, sir,” with a modicum of dignity as she wiped her wet face on the equally-damp front panel of her cloak. Straightening, she squared her shoulders before asking, “Your message to Lord Sessaki?”
 
He remained silent for a very long moment, the snow falling thickly between them while branches rustled and sighed in the stillness. “I will protect those he values,” Sesshomaru finally conceded.
 
When it became apparent that he had nothing else to say, Kagome bowed. “Very well; I will more than likely not be able to deliver the message in person, but I will make sure that it reaches him.” Glancing up, she added, “In case I don't have the chance later, I'd like to say that it has been a distinct pleasure serving with you, sir.”
 
“Return just before dawn, miko,” he said. “If Naraku intends to grace us with his presence, that is when he will strike.” She nodded, gathered up her wet cloak and stepped up onto the snow-covered rim… or tried to. As her foot slipped on the slick wood and she went over backwards, Sesshomaru's strong arm broke her fall. Sheepishly thanking him again, she decided to dispense with the dramatics and sat down on the well's lip, then swung her legs over. Moving her bow out of the way so it wouldn't catch when she pushed off, she nearly fell in anyways when Sesshomaru spoke, his tone far too controlled for true disinterest. “Are my children afflicted with those ridiculous ears?”
 
Smiling to herself at the taiyoukai's clever attempt to discern whether or not his future Lady of the West was of youkai blood, as well as the memory of mischievous Yukihime and her elegant tail, she truthfully answered, “No,” and left it at that. His gaze sharpened as if he detected her omission, but she kept a perfectly straight face as she saluted before dropping into the shimmering blue.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Where's the princess?” Koga asked, warming his hands over the fire as the remaining guardsmen threw together a meal with Ginta and Hakkaku's cheerful help.
 
“Sesshomaru sent her home with a message for her commanding officer,” Inuyasha replied in an offhanded manner.
 
After mulling over that information for a moment, Koga chose the least-confusing bit to focus on. “Home? She isn't from here?”
 
“Yes she is, but not from this time.” Noting the wolf's puzzled expression, he added, “She's from the future.”
 
Koga scratched his ear, considering. “How far in the future?”
 
“A few hundred years,” Inuyasha answered matter-of-factly, poking at the crackling wood until the sparks spat.
 
The wolf prince contemplated this for a while, until the rice cauldron was suspended over the flames. “How does she `go home'?”
 
The hanyou hooked his clawed thumb towards the dark mass of trees barely visible through the blowing snow. “There's an enchanted well up there that acts as a portal through time.”
 
There was another, much longer pause before Koga stopped giving himself a headache and focussed on something he could understand. “How long until we eat?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
In the bottom of the well, an exhausted young woman propped up the damp wall, counting the tiles on the underside of the roof framed by the square mouth of the shaft. To her newly enhanced ears, the drumming of the rain so far over her head was almost painfully loud, and the musty odour made her sneeze. She should have climbed out by now, but contemplating the changes to her senses was preferable, at this point, to investigating her sudden reluctance to face her family. I should be there, not here, but I'll bet Sesshomaru is lurking around the well to make sure I stay where he sent me. Better get this over with, I suppose… Sighing heavily, she straightened, shoved her cloak back over her shoulders and took hold of the dangling rope ladder. I feel positively ancient… damn, mom was absolutely right that I would feel about five hundred years old by this point!
 
Rolling over the well's lip on her stomach, she landed in an ungainly heap on the planking, but couldn't bring herself to care… not when there was so much at stake on the other side. Standing up, she adjusted her bow strap and her sword, then wearily trudged up the internal staircase to the platform. The sound of the rain intensified, echoing inside the small building and bringing on a headache. Sliding the door panel open and stepping out onto the narrow veranda, she gazed around the rain-swept courtyard, its pavement gleaming wetly in the blazing lights of the house. Recognizing Touma's and Shimano's sedans parked out in front, she tugged down the hood, yanked the door shut, and clattered down the stairs.
 
Thoroughly soaked by the time she dashed across the paving, Kagome stepped into the foyer just in time to hear voices from inside the house fade away. As she shook off the water and pulled down her hood, the inner door slammed open. For a long moment, there was silence as the various denizens of the Higurashi home stared at this weary, bruised and battle-stained apparition that somewhat resembled the young woman they'd sent off to battle only a few weeks before. Kagome, for her part, examined the clean, well-fed, well-rested civilians occupying a warm, brightly-lit, spacious house filled with the appetizing scents of soup stock and fresh rice… and had the unsettling notion of being a carp out of water.
 
Kagome!” Shimano leapt across the foyer, and suddenly she was engulfed in her current reality as she was passed from one to the other, hugged, kissed, petted and exclaimed over as if they couldn't believe the proof of their eyes or their noses.
 
“He really did send you home for the night!” Sota exclaimed.
 
“Why not?” Kagome asked, handing him her bow. “Naraku might not show up for a couple of days.” At their sudden silence and solemn expressions, she stopped in the act of unclipping her cloak. “Fuck. The battle is tomorrow morning, isn't it?” As her stomach flipped over, she muttered, “I'd better go back and damn the taiyoukai… pass me my combat boots? These antique jobs don't cut it in the snow if you actually want to walk anywhere instead of fly.”
 
Touma and Shimano glanced at each other while Kioko reached for Kagome's hands. “There's no need to rush right back, dear. Don't you have a message to pass on?”
 
She pulled away, sick at heart. “Touma-san can deliver it on my behalf… but I'm damned sure that Sessaki remembers it clearly enough,” she said bitterly, determined to go back to where she belonged instead of remaining in this comfortable, safe, alien place. Strong hands clamped down on her shoulders, arresting her escape attempt.
 
“Kagome… look at me,” Touma growled softly, forcing her to meet his steely dark blue gaze. “Follow your orders; it won't do you any good to pace the night away over there, knowing what will come but unable to talk to anyone about it.” When she tried to pull free, he tightened his grip and gave her a little shake. “This is how it must be.”
 
“But…” She searched his face before slumping in defeat.
 
Shimano stepped close, rubbing gentle circles on her back as Touma released her. “No one wants to take any chances, Okaa-san.” Stooping, he kissed her cheek, then grinned wryly. “Gods, your scent takes me right back five hundred years, and not in a good way! Phew!” He gestured to Sota and Akagane, who gave her quick hugs before donning coats and boots.
 
“Where are you going?” Kagome asked, a trifle plaintively.
 
Sota handed her bow to Touma. “We're staying overnight at Sensei Shimano and Kogane's place so we can look after Akagane's little brothers tomorrow,” he answered, squishing her in another tight hug before wrinkling his nose. “A shower is definitely recommended! What is that smell?”
 
“Naraku's miasma is the delightful top note,” Shimano grinned. “That poison smoke stink must be from Mount Hakurei, too.”
 
“Bunch of resurrected dead assholes called the Band of Seven; they were Naraku's bodyguards. One of them did this,” she said, pointing at her face.
 
“The bruises, the horror-movie eyes, or the constellation?”
 
Kagome took a swipe at Sota before replying, “The bruises. The `horror-movie' eyes are courtesy of Fenik and the `constellation' is from Midoriko.”
 
“Ah… huh?”
 
“Enquiring minds will have to wait,” she teased.
 
Sobering, he murmured, “Good luck tomorrow, sis.” Akagane echoed his sentiment, squeezing Kagome's hand before the teens exited the house.
 
Shimano caressed her cheek with the backs of his claws, his green eyes intent. “Come back to us,” he said quietly.
 
“Will you be here tomorrow?” she asked.
 
He nodded. “Wouldn't miss it for anything, not even the finals of the sumo national championship series!” Winking cheerily, he bobbed his head and was gone, leaving Kagome alone with her mother and her future step-father… if she survived to see them wed.
 
“Come along, dear… clean yourself up and we'll decide what we want to do this evening. I'll wash your gear, too.” Kioko took charge, unclipping Kagome's cloak and sliding it off her shoulders, then waiting for the young woman to step out of her boots before ushering her into the house proper. “You have time for a bath, if you'd like a soak. Off you go… oh, my.” Her hand flew to her mouth as Kagome's stomach rumbled. “How about a couple of rice balls to tide you over until dinner? I'll bring them upstairs.” She bustled off towards the laundry room, leaving her daughter blinking in her wake.
 
Touma gently pushed her in the direction of the stairs. “It's okay, Kagome… really. You deserve some downtime before the biggest day of your life.” He watched her shamble off upstairs and heard her bedroom door close as Kioko rejoined him. Wrapping his arm around the dark-haired woman's shoulders, he muttered, “She's in pretty bad shape; Yashita and Sessaki downplayed her injuries.”
 
“It's her eyes and those glowing markings,” Kioko murmured. “She looks so strange and otherworldly. Is that… odour… what Naraku really smelled like?”
 
“I was left behind at the fortress, so I never experienced the joys of miasma first-hand. Shimano certainly thought so, though.”
 
Kioko tugged Touma's head down to whisper in his ear, “Wait until the water starts running before you make any calls.” Kissing his cheek, she slipped out of his embrace and headed towards the kitchen.
 
The normalcy of her surroundings was almost surreal; Kagome wondered if the combination of hunger and exhaustion was making her less rational than usual. The first thing she did was check herself out in her mirror, and promptly recoiled. Those are definitely Midoriko's marks… this black eye is still really attractive. Probing her injured cheek while she examined her strange eyes, she decided the fewer people who saw her like this, the better. As she hung up her weapons, unbuckled her tunic and then her body armour, a lank twist fell to the floor. Frowning, she pinched the hank of grey hair between thumb and forefinger and brought it up to eye-level. Oh, crap! I forgot all about this; it's a bit late for Mount Hakurei, though. I wonder if Ojii-chan's priestly powers would do for a delayed absolution? Grumbling at herself, Kagome carefully laid the lock of hair on her desk, following it with Inuyasha's rosary so that she could remove her gauntlet. Examining the heavy stone beads and bleached-white fangs as she disrobed, she wondered why there didn't seem to be even the faintest hint of the subduing spell that had bound the hanyou.
 
An insistent scratching brought her to the door, and Buyo strutted in, his tail standing straight up as he verbally abused her for leaving him alone for so long. Chuckling, Kagome bent to pet him while he wound in and out of her bare legs, complaining long and loudly. “What's the matter, fuzz-ball? Did Mom put you on a diet while I was gone?”
 
He jumped up onto her bed and proceeded to wash himself; she snorted, “That was it? The big welcome? Thanks, Buyo; I feel so loved.” Donning a yukata, she piled her filthy clothes outside her bedroom door and headed down the hall to the bathroom. The minute the hot water began sluicing over her scalp, her truculent attitude towards her enforced trip across time began to soften; by the time she slid into the tub, she could barely remember why she was irritated in the first place. A knock on the door announced her mother's arrival with a cup of tea and a tray of rice balls, each adorned with a floral design cut out of nori... except for one example moulded in the shape of a perky-eared dog's head, complete with tiny bits of carrot for eyes and a snout adorned with spring onion. “Nice, mom,” Kagome grinned, holding it up to be admired.
 
“Don't fall asleep in there,” Kioko advised. “I've put your fleeces out on your bed.” Kagome wondered at the secretive smile on her mother's face, but decided it probably had to do with the unusual shaping of the rice ball she held in her hand. She soaked in the tub while polishing off the tray and the tea, dozed a bit, then decided to see what was on the dinner menu. I wonder if Touma might be up later for a game of Go?
 
She was dressed and in the process of laying out her clothing for the next morning's combat on her bed, teasing Buyo with the end of her webbing belt until he was quite wild-eyed, when claws of another species tapped gently on her door. The cat instantly turned up his nose and flicked his tail, seating himself so that his back was to the visitor, who turned out to be Touma. “May I talk to you, Kagome?” he inquired, but his tone definitely didn't sound like a request; her heart sank.
 
“What about?” she warily asked, clearing a space on her bed so she could sit down; he perched on her desk chair. Buyo jumped down, put his nose in the air and flounced out of the room, obviously passing feline judgement on the latest canine addition to the household.
 
Touma gazed at her long and steadily for a disconcerting amount of time; Kagome tried not to fidget, but failed miserably, worrying the hair bracelets twisted around her wrist. “There is one person you should see tonight,” he said without preamble, and was promptly taken aback by her dismayed expression.
 
Ohhh, no. No. Absolutely not,” she declared, shaking her head and scooting backwards across the bed until she was leaning up against the wall, her arms folded defiantly across her chest and her eyes shooting sparks. “It'll be hard enough going through the well in the morning, possibly to my death, without adding him into the mix.” Touma caught the quaver in her voice, noted how she bit her lip… and the way her scent changed at the mention of her husband, so he forged ahead.
 
Moving across the room, he seated himself on the edge of her bed and reached to take hold of one of her wrists. Tugging just hard enough to let her know that he would not be easily dissuaded, he waited until she grudgingly let him bring her hand into his lap… but the rest of her remained tense and ready to flee. “I appreciate that you have not purified me yet, so please hear me out before you completely reject the idea.” Rubbing circles on her palm with the pad of his thumb, he examined her face, where the bruises were now rainbow-hued, except for the purple-toned damage on the crest of her cheekbone. The four glowing points of light on her forehead winked from behind her dark bangs; he watched them while he waited for her to relax. When she exhaled and glanced at him, he began chipping away at her defensive wall.
 
“Yashita is the only one left who knows what the quest was like for its entire duration… who knows what you faced both inside Mount Hakurei and in its aftermath. He was at your side the whole time, Kagome.” Touma paused as he hooked his claws into the black and silver woven bracelets, letting the smooth braid slide through his fingers. “You were there when he won Tetsusaiga, while he struggled to find common ground with his youki… to protect you, he defeated his own brother, unleashed the `Wind Scar', then reached inside himself and found the `Backlash Wave'. You went through hell together as a team.”
 
The young woman bowed her head, hiding her eyes behind her hair; he reached up and feathered the damp strands through his fingertips as he continued, “You are nervous, concerned, even frightened right now as you face your crucial test; do you think that he's not suffering just as much? I honestly don't know how he's held it together these past few weeks, because he's been reliving the whole conflict with the Band of Seven and experiencing flashbacks like you wouldn't believe. Sessaki would have put him on leave, but he was afraid that without anything to occupy his time, Yash would completely lose control.”
 
“How is seeing me supposed to help that?” Kagome asked quietly. “Don't get me wrong; I would really like to see him, but I don't think I can trust either of us to not get carried away if we thought it might be our last night together… ever.” Her drooping demeanour and the way she squeezed his hand told Touma all he needed to know.
 
“Regulations be damned,” he said firmly, smiling a little when she flashed him a startled look. Gathering her other hand into his gentle grasp, Touma murmured, “Tonight is unique, Kagome, because there is no past and no future. In twelve hours or so, nothing you have done will matter any more… because it will all be over, for better or for worse, so you might as well take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy your husband's company.”
 
The young woman sighed heavily and shrugged in a defeated sort of way. “Looking like this? What a treat for him…”
 
“He won't care.”
 
Kagome peeked up at him through her bangs, worrying her lip. “Are you sure he wants to see me?”
 
“Absolutely. Ask your mother how badly he misses you, if you don't believe me.”
 
She smiled faintly. “I believe you.”
 
“Then say yes, Kagome,” he urged, clasping both of her hands between his.
 
“What if Inuyasha comes through the well?”
 
“He won't; he stayed with his brother and the wolf prince, to prevent the former from gutting the latter.”
 
Kagome bit her lip again, mentally running through all the possible complications and repercussions… and discovered that she really didn't care. Touma is right; nothing matters beyond this point, because it's all over tomorrow. Reaching a decision, she pulled one hand free to squeeze his fingers. “All right… although I must say that it is awfully strange to have my father encouraging me to break the rules…”
 
“Some rules were absolutely made to be broken… in the correct context, of course.” Touma pulled her into an awkward hug. “Hmm. Your scent is still slightly off, but it's a huge improvement from before. Grab a jacket and meet me down stairs.” He smiled fondly at her, his cobalt cheek stripes crinkling, then released her to glide out of the room. Kagome clamped ruthlessly down on any second thoughts and hopped off the bed to rummage through her closet. Her first choice was her red leather jacket, but her fleece was too thick to fit comfortably under it. On an impulse, she pulled out Inuyasha's red-piped black leather jacket and shouldered into it. Not quite the same as his fire-rat, but it'll do. Unzipping the cuffs to roll them back, her eye fell on the rosary, and acting on another impulse, she shoved the strand into her pocket.
 
Scooping the bundle of hair, she carefully checked over her preparations for the next morning; satisfied, she headed out the door and down the stairs. “Mom? Where's Ojii-chan? I have an absolution job for him…”
 
“He's visiting his cousin in Chiba; we felt that all this excitement might be too much for him,” Kioko replied, wiping her hands on a dish towel as she came forward. She gave Kagome quick hug before nipping the sad little memento out of her fingers. “I'm so glad that you've agreed to see Yashita; don't worry about Lord Sessaki.”
 
“I can't help but be a little worried about a furious taiyoukai showing up at an inconvenient moment to drag me out of Yash's arms like a naughty school girl…”
 
“Rin's taking care of it.” There was a merry twinkle in the older woman's eye, and Kagome couldn't help but grin as she headed towards the foyer, hustled along by an impatient `beep' from outside. “Wait, dear! You'll need these.” A knitted winter hat and a pair of dark sunglasses were pressed into her hands before Kioko gave her a gentle shove. “Give your husband a kiss for me!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж