InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ THE TRIBUTE ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: This story is a Sesshoumaru/Rin AU fan fiction. For some reading this, there may be spoilers or references to characters later in the "Inuyasha" series. Rated "R" for language, possible citrus content, dark subject matter and violent situations.

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of "Inuyasha." The talented Rumiko Takahashi does and gets all the credit for her creative efforts and brilliance.

THE TRIBUTE

BY: kittie le sabre

CHAPTER ONE

ARGUMENT & DECISION

The girl started awake in the pitch darkness, listening to doors sliding closed as the servants scrambled to go to bed for the night after completing their duties. She knew that they rushed to get out of their master's way. No one wanted to feel the lash of his ire. The master's bedroom was down the hall from the kitchen. The girl could hear her aunt's voice, high and thin with sorrow as she pleaded with the master of the house, who replied in his gruff angry tones.

"Please don't do this thing, husband! Rin-chan is my only surviving family! She is all that I have left of my sister!"

"We can't afford to keep this useless girl! The servants have all agreed that she is vain, lazy and arrogant! She causes trouble around here. Why should we keep her?"

The woman continued weeping but to no avail. The master would not yield on the matter.

Rin stiffened at the sound of angry words, curling up on her pallet near the lingering warmth of the kitchen-hearth's dying fire; aware that the argument was about her- again. How she missed her parents. But they were long dead, slain by one of the Demon Lords who ruled over the Lower Regions. There was no sense in hoping for anything, anymore. She was lucky to have a sleeping spot in the kitchen and food to eat almost everyday. Her servant's robe was clean without rents or tears and she had sturdy sandals for her feet. Others weren't as fortunate as she.

But now that was about to end for her. She knew.

For about 11 years, Rin and her aunt, Akiko, had lived in poverty in a tiny hut with barely enough food. No one cared about the little girl and her dowerless young aunt. Akiko earned a few coins and food because she knew how to make medicines and she grew herbs in her tiny garden for her own personal use and to sell. Despite their poverty, they had one another no matter how much they suffered from their loss.

Rin was teased and mistreated by the children and adults of the village. She never spoke or acknowledged their cruelty. Plus, her clothes were clean but worn and ragged. She had no pretty combs or ornaments for her hair or toys to share, giving them all further cause for their meanness and ridicule.

Akiko made certain that her charge could read, write and count. Rin had learned all about herbs and healing from Akiko, who had begun training as a miko, before their family was murdered. She was content with her kind, pretty aunt and their home, at least they were safe. Of course, Rin always felt like an outsider never belonging. It didn't matter to her.

Sometimes the humans who lived in the glass and metal cities would visit the area, wearing strange clothing, using mystical devices called "cell phones" and driving in their big machines called "cars". Others would ride in carriages drawn by cyborg horses. Everyone knew that these humans had a great deal of money and power; some of them even consorted with the Demons Lords on a regular basis. There were whispers of strange alliances between humans and demons.

All humans had to offer Tribute twice a year to the Demon Lords who protected their regions. The people in the villages and towns brought fine materials, jewels, coins, crops, supplies, fine weapons and human slaves to their Demon Masters as Tribute. But the city humans did not have to pay Tribute like the poor and country humans, nor did they rely upon the Demon Lords for protection. Or so it was said.

Rin had glimpsed a few of the city dwelling humans who came to the village and those others who were neither human nor truly demon. These were the hanyou, the half-demon offspring of the demons and humans. Many humans did not like them, hated and feared them, but no one dared to insult them openly because the hanyous had demon powers and were considered to be above humans anyway.

A traveling merchant had told the village's headman and his wife about the birth origins of the Demon Lord of the Western Region's youngest son, Inu Yasha. The man had said that the boy was hanyou, born from the union of a human billionaire's daughter with the ancient Demon Lord. The city man was forced to offer Tribute to the old Demon Lord ruler after several members of his family offended the Lord Inuyoukai by invading his territory without seeking the Great Dog Demon's permission first. The rich man's lovely young daughter was the price that the Demon Lord had demanded in exchange for the lives of his foolish relatives.

It was shortly after the merchant's visit, that 14 year-old Rin and her aunt's lives changed. Jiro, the village headman's brother, was newly widowed and without children. For over seven years, he had noticed the beautiful and gentle Akiko. She had first come to find peace and a place in the village with her three-year-old niece after her older sister, brother-in-law and nephews were butchered with hundreds of humans by a Demon Lord who was attempting to make his own Shikon No Tama jewel. Somehow Rin and her aunt had escaped the massacre.

Jiro counted his good fortune that his shrewish but barren wife had finally died from a terrible case of indigestion that had become virulently toxic. The poison he'd slipped into her last few meals had been successful. Everyone suspected foul play but no one dared to challenge the headman's vicious brother.

Over the years, Jiro's wealth had increased through importing items into the city behind his brother's back. There was no way he would let slip the opportunity to claim the elusive Akiko for his bride. Jiro began courting her with devotion and a tender gruffness that was amusing to behold for the many villagers who knew him to be both a bully and a ruffian.

The only obstacle in having Akiko all to himself was Rin. He would get rid of the parasite brat later. What made Jiro dangerous was his patience and he was willing to bide his time to get his way.

Although she did not like Jiro, Rin kept her feelings to herself. She knew that her aunt could not refuse the chance to make a better life for them. Her mother's sister was honor and duty bound to provide the best life for them both.

Akiko had married the cruel man named Jiro six months after his wife's death. Now they'd been living in his house for over two years. He was arrogant and wealthy, with a keen dislike for children, especially girls. Young girls were more likely to be sent as part of the bi-annual Tribute if he felt that they were an extra burden to his household.

As far as he was concerned, Rin was not strong enough to toil in the fields or to do heavy labor like some of women servants in the household. His bride's niece was no asset and would not bring a good city marriage since he had no intention of providing Rin with a dowry. The master felt that the young girl was useless, just another mouth to feed with no skills.

Oftentimes he would beat Rin and refuse to feed her if he were displeased with her chores or if he was in a bad mood. Everyone knew that she was the scapegoat in the house. As a result, the girl suffered abuse from the other servants. Better her than them or their children. There was not a day that went by when she was not hit or scolded by someone. Her aunt was not in the position to stop the mistreatment of her own niece. Akiko had been threatened many times if she dared to interfere with Rin's chastisement. Jiro had informed his bride that if she stopped him from "disciplining" Rin, he would have the girl killed or sent to a brothel in the city that catered to demons who liked to brutalize and devour human girls. Many times, Akiko was often helpless to stop her vile spouse from beating the girl but she sent Rin on countless errands and often kept her busy as much as she could and away from Jiro's presence.

As for the abusive servants, Rin never revealed to her aunt their mistreatment of her. She could not burden her tender-hearted aunt further with her troubles.

Rin lay tense on her straw pellet listening to her Aunt Akiko's suffering. Inside she usually felt numb but her aunt's crying created a tight feeling in her chest that would not yield no matter how deeply she breathed. Akiko was always kind and loving to her, risking her husband's displeasure by sneaking extra food to her, keeping Jiro from seriously injuring her. Her aunt always attempted to protect her and care for her as much as she could. But there were other dangers the girl had to be on her guard against now. Ever since she'd gotten older new "threats" had come into play for Rin. Somehow, Akiko had found out about this new "problem" and tried to alleviate it.

On such an occasion, Akiko had a male field-hand removed after he tried to rape her niece. Rin had been scrubbing the hallway late into the night (upon Jiro's orders as punishment) when the fieldworker had snuck inside the house and tried to attack her. He had ripped her clothing from her young body and had groped her, slobbering and muttering threats. Rin had been unable to call out or scream. It had been this way for her since her parents' death. Thankfully, the head cook's large husband had been on his way to check the supplies in the storeroom when he came upon the scene. He had bodily grabbed the horrid man by the scruff of his neck, struck him senseless and dragged him to their master. Jiro had soundly thrashed the would-be rapist because the incident had upset his beloved new bride. Akiko had asked that the man be sold to the cruelest Demon Lord in the Northern Regions, the one everyone feared besides the Western ruler.

The Demon Lord's name was Naraku and he was wily, vicious and powerful. He lived in a huge palace on the Northern Lands with his demon concubines, Lady Kagura and Lady Kanna. It was rumored among the humans that Naraku's female lovers were also sisters.

Rin shivered as she thought of the name, suppressing images of blood, torture and terror she had heard. Naraku had many enemies, both demon and human alike. The Western Demon Lord of The Inu Taisho family ignored Naraku. The upstart was of no interest to the Lord Inuyoukai so as long as Naraku did not trespass into the Great Dog Demon's territory. But it was also said that Naraku had started demanding Tribute from other Demon Lords recently because his power had grown.

Rin did not understand what this meant, but she knew that there would trouble soon. No doubt the humans in the area would suffer the worst from what was to come.

Presently, her mind ceased to wander as she focused on the drama in Jiro and Akiko's bedroom. Her beloved aunt continued to plead with her husband.

"Please, Jiro-san, don't do this thing! Rin-chan is my dead sister's only living child! I beg you!"

"I don't care! The girl is useless! She brings no profit to my house! I will offer her if I wish and that is final!" The headman's brother pronounced. "Besides, she does not speak or say a word! The girl is dumb! Her mind is simple!"

"This is wrong, Jiro-san!"

Rin stiffened as she heard the sound of flesh striking against flesh. She knew that sound, a hand delivering a blow. How often she had felt the stinging pain of physical abuse and cruelty in this house and outside of it from the villagers. Her aunt should not suffer this because of her. Everyone knew that Jiro did not lay violent hands on Akiko; he was proud of her beauty. He was a vain man who had no desire to mar his wife's perfection. Tonight he must be beyond furious to hit Akiko. He was instantly contrite after his misdeed.

"Akiko, my dearest!" Jiro cried out, his gruff voice was as tender as it ever became, although it always sounded like stone grinding upon stone. "Look what has happened! Your lovely face is so red now! No! That girl has made me harm you! She leaves in the morning! I will give her as Tribute this year to the Demon Lord of The Western Region's heir!"

Rin heard her aunt's repressed sobs continue well into the night. There was no arguing with Jiro upon the matter. She would be given as Tribute to the Demon Lord Ruler of The Western Regions. No matter, so be it. If she was destined to die then she could join her parents again. Her eyes were dry as she thought of what was to come.

She would miss Akiko but not the house, or the villagers either. She had no friends or ties here except Akiko; who was now someone's wife.

The male servants had been harassing her more and more, attempting to pinch and fondle her as she grew to young maidenhood. Their wives, sisters, daughters had been mistreating Rin more and more, whispering about her "strange ways" and her "vanity" because she never talked. No it would be better if she left, going to her death than to continue on in this existence. Her aunt deserved a chance to be happy after all and to have a normal life, even if it was with a brute like Jiro. She was in the way.

Rin sighed and drifted into a fretful sleep, aware that her life would soon be over-one way or another.