InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ THE DEMON LORD'S HEIR ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER TWO

THE DEMON LORD'S HEIR

The noise from below awoke Sesshoumaru from the depths of slumber. He sat up, groggy and pissed off at the interruption of his rest. Leaving the warm cocoon of his bed, he draped his white fur mantle over his naked body, although he did not need it for warmth. Adornment was dignified for a youkai of his status. Sniffing the air, he detected the scent of his younger brother, Inu Yasha, and the human warrior-cleric he was hanging out with these days, Miroku.

"Bastards," Sesshoumaru gritted from between his teeth. He'd flay the skin off of them both for waking him up. It wasn't as if he needed to sleep, but when he decided to indulge in slumber, it was a pleasure for him after being up for weeks, months or sometimes years at a time without sleeping. You'd think his father would keep the fucking little hanyou shit busy and out of his way.

At some point the old fart must know that he was going to kill the fucker. Sesshoumaru was merely biding his time until their father, the Great Lord Inuyoukai announced him as the heir apparent at The High Tribute.

The High Tribute was held every 7 years for the most powerful Demon Lords of the Region. The best of everything was brought in as offering from weaker youkai and humans in the cities, villages and towns. The down point for Sesshoumaru was that his father had stopped humans from being offered as blood sacrifices. Once he was named heir and took his rightful place, Sesshoumaru planned to revive that custom for not only The High Tribute but the bi-annuals Tributes as well.

A scratch at the door alerted Sesshoumaru to the fact that Jaken was more than anxious to come in. He was well aware that the little toad had been outside his chamber door the entire night. The snoring had grated on his ears even in the depths of his demonic sleep which was attuned to everything around him.

"Enter, Jaken," Sesshoumaru called out in his velvety baritone.

"Sesshoumaru-sama!" Jaken staggered into the room carrying the Staff of Heads. He immediately abased himself before his master. "Your bath is ready, my Lord! Your clothes have been laid out also. Is there anything else you may need, my Lord?" The little toad peeked up discreetly to ascertain his Lord's mood. He stifled complaints about his aching joints from sleeping on the hard floor all night. But Sesshoumaru had insisted that Jaken stay posted in the hallway outside his sleeping room. Today was important and the toad knew that his Lord was taking no chances about anything going wrong.

"What are Inu Yasha, and that human fool doing here?" Sesshoumaru glided over to the glass doors that lead out onto a large veranda. He casually pushed open the doors to step onto the balcony, glaring down at his hanyou brother and the human filth he'd brought home with him.

"My Lord, your sire requested Inu Yasha's presence today! He told your brother that he could also bring a guest!" Jaken promptly answered.

"I see. Jaken, make sure that my car is brought around in 45 minutes. I have an errand to run today," Sesshoumaru commanded, turning away from the scene below him with a snort of disgust.

Inu Yasha and his partner in crime, Miroku, were now engaged in a mock fight on the terrace walkway. Inu Yasha was practicing with his bio-tech weapon, Tetsusaiga while Miroku defended himself. Some of the metal benches, chairs and tables that were placed on the terrace patio were knocked over. One of the trees was snapped in half. The mess explained the noise that had awoken Sesshoumaru earlier.

"Assholes!" Sesshoumaru muttered under his breath. It would not do for him to acknowledge them by displaying his anger.

"My Lord, you have a meeting with your father at 2 in his study concerning this evening's festivities! It is already almost 1!" Jaken protested dutifully. He shrieked in pain when a sharp blow to his head from his Lord promptly followed. Master was still annoyed at having his morning disrupted by that hanyou bastard brother of his. He should tread carefully. "What is your desire, Master?"

"Have my car ready in 15 minutes. We must meet with Kaikinbo, Toutou-sai's half-baked ex-apprentice. My new biotech-weapon should be ready by now. It's been three days since I brought him Goshinki's head. Be sure to meet me at his shop in city."

A biotech-weapon was a specially bioengineered weapon that was partly machine and partly made from living cells that could become sentient with the owner. The most powerful and effective biotech-weapons were usually made from the blood or tissue samples from the person that would be using it. Taking living samples from a strong organism like a puissant youkai was another way to create a biotech-weapon. Anyone using a biotech-weapon had to have a strong will and their own power; otherwise the biotech-weapon could take over the wielder's mind and body.

Sesshoumaru had no use for the biotech-weapon his father had given to him even though it had been made from the Lord Inuyoukai's tissue samples. Because of their DNA make-up, the biotech-weapon could bond to Sesshoumaru through a mixture of science and magic.

The biotech-weapon was called Tensaiga and was more a shielding weapon that revived the dead and healed the mortally injured. On the other hand, his hanyou brother's biotech-weapon was powerful, the ultimate killing machine. The fool didn't know how to properly use Tetsusaiga! But once the biotech-weapon was attuned to one person, no one else could wield it.

He was stuck with Tensaiga forever! What good was a fucking biotech-weapon to him that didn't kill? That was the reason why he'd had Kaikinbo to make him a deadlier one that was far more effective than his father's legacy to him.

Irritated by his thoughts, Sesshoumaru shifted the angle of his head with a particularly fierce expression on his face, startling the little toad. "Why are you still here, Jaken?"

"Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama! I am going now! Right away!" Jaken exclaimed, rushing from the bedroom to make sure that everything was prepared. He wiped the sweat from his brow once the door closed behind him. Whew! His Master looked so very fierce! Perhaps the new biotech-weapon would lessen some of his displeasure. The Master was known for not just his fiery temper, but also his deadly fighting skills. Sesshoumaru-sama had the biogenetic Demon attributes of lightening speed and acidic poisonous claws. No one wanted to make his Lord angry for any reason!

How convenient for his master that Inu Yasha had gone out drinking in the city at a club where demons, humans and hanyous often frequented.

The club was called "Zero's Landing" and it was located in one of the seedier districts of the Crimson City. Although it catered to a varied clientele, it was owned by youkai, with Sesshoumaru as one of the main partners. Sometimes humans did not make it out of the place alive, and it was one of the risks that drew them there besides the wonderful music, cheap good eats and potent liquor.

Inu Yasha was drinking at "Zero's" a few nights ago, attempting to drown his sorrows, when a demon named Goshinki started slaughtering and eating humans. Inu Yasha had become very drunk while waiting for Miroku who'd slipped away with a sexy human waitress for a bit of "fun" in the Ladies' Room. He was brooding over an argument he'd recently had with a human girl he'd been seeing for months now when the trouble with Goshinki began.

The human girl's name was Kagome and her family owned a rather prosperous business selling antiques. That evening she was hanging out at "Zero's" with her best friend, Sango, a known bounty hunter who had slain lots of demons with contracts on their heads. Kagome and Inu Yasha had just started seeing each other when his ex-girlfriend Kikyou came back to town. Now Things were very tense and uncertain between the young couple. Kagome felt that she had been deceived by Inu Yasha, especially since his old flame was an heiress, which made her more "worthy" of the hanyou's illustrious family ties.

That night she and Sango had stopped in "Zero's" unaware that it was one of Inu Yasha's hangouts or that his older brother was part owner of the place.

Goshinki had made his move and had butchered and eaten several humans and demons. Inu Yasha had challenged him and the fight that ensued was bloody and brutal. Inu Yasha's biotech-weapon, Tetsusaiga was destroyed by Goshinki's titanium coated oni teeth. When Goshinki bit down into the biotech-weapon, it was shattered into pieces, with the attack nearly severing Inu Yasha's arm off.

Jaken's Master had heard about the incident and had immediately arrived at "Zero's" in time to round up Goshinki's head and to get the entire story from security about Inu Yasha's fight and how his friend's had to drag him out of the place because he'd lost his mind completely and tore the demon to bits. The bio-tech weapon had also been destroyed and now his hanyou brother owed him a favor for keeping that a secret from their father.

Fortunately, Tetsusaiga was repaired by a sobbing Toutou-sai, this time using tissue, bone, and blood samples from Inu Yasha. Jaken suspected that his master's hanyou brother was practicing using the recently fixed bio-weapon because it was now altered. No matter, the little toad knew that he'd best hurry to complete the arrangements for his Lord because time was moving fast.

**

It was Hirosama's duty to bring the Tribute to the Western Lands this year. His brother, Takeshi, had fallen ill three days prior, and Master Jiro had been furious about the delay. However, Hirosama was determined to usurp his brother's place by the momentous opportunity. He was tired of sweeping the courtyards and shoveling horse manure. Now, he could prove his worth to the master.

The girl, Rin, was quietly sitting in the back of the covered cart with the various goods to be offered as Tribute this year. Hirosama was glad that she did not speak. His older sister, Isamu, was caring for her and guarding her from escape. Isamu was a very big woman and quite strong. Rin did not stand a chance.

Soon he would unload the Tribute into the safe keeping of a man called Saburo, the assistant the Lord Inuyoukai's secretary. If Hirosama did his duty well, Jiro would allow him to take Takeshi's place for the bi-annual Tribute, too. No more horseshit and foul-smelling chickens for him pluck. No more long hot days of carting trash and beating away flies. Master Jiro would not soon forgive Takeshi for drinking heavily the night before the trip and ending up with wine poisoning. Everyone knew how much he hated the maiden and wanted her away from his new wife as soon as could be arranged. Hirosama kept his eyes fixed on the road ahead. Grateful for the cyborg horses that would help them gain ground faster into the city.

Meanwhile, in the back of the cart, Rin sat stoically across from Isamu who complained and pinched her charge the entire trip.

"Sit up, girl! Don't wrinkle that silk gown. You are so unruly!" Isamu snapped, smacking Rin on the legs. She was careful to let the blows sting but not bruise her. The little ragamuffin was part of Master Jiro's Tribute.

Rin ignored her the entire way. In the distance, the sun was setting and she see glimpses of the Crimson City's lights and the borders that marked that beginning of the Western Lands.

Rin was grieving for her Aunt Akiko and her lost family. The pain was even greater now that she and Akiko were separated.

"I will always think of you, Rin," Akiko had promised before they parted, fighting back the tears. Before she could reply to comfort her aunt, Jiro had stepped in between them bellowing orders and grabbing his bride by the arm to shove her towards the house.

"I am finally rid of you, jamakusai!" He guffawed and turned away from the cart as Isamu shoved her inside and bellowed for her to sit down.

From that moment on, the numbness had spread inside of Rin until she felt the cold loss. Her guard's words and hits never penetrated the wall surrounding her. She did not react because she was nothing and felt nothing inside of her.

Rin could only surrender to her fate and pray that death would end the nothingness.