InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ The Uninvited Guest ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER SIX:

THE UNINVITED GUEST

The Great Hall of the Inu Taisho palace was crowded with guests and spectators. There was a long red carpet that everyone managed to steer clear of as the VIPs made their entrance. Perhaps it was due to the enormous youkai guards standing on either side of the walkway. The crimson pathway led up to the main entrance of the Great Hall's VIP room. The VIP dais was where the Lord Inuyoukai, his family and important officials, youkais, hanyous, high-ranking humans, special guests and the like were all seated and congregated.

Inu Yasha was cursing to himself because of Kagome's refusal to sit with him. It was all due to the fact that earlier, Kikyou had arrived, strolling down the red carpet with her attendants and him to the dais. He gritted his teeth, mentally recounting the entire episode.

Kagome had looked beautiful in her ocean-green gown and silvery-green shoes. He had stood there speechless, shocked after standing outside her door for over an hour; doing his best to convince her that he loved her and not his ex-fiancée who was boring, cold and calculating.

She had walked out, catching off guard in the gown he'd had created for her and this important evening with his family. The gown had thin straps and she had put her hair up into a twist that was elegant and showed off her sleek pretty neck and shoulders.

"Well, don't just stand there, baka," Kagome had said with a laugh, posing for him. "Let's go!"

In Yasha had cleared his throat, reaching inside the inner pocket of his red leather jacket. He grabbed the jewelry box and pulled it out, opening it for her. Kagome's eyes had become bright with unshed tears. There was an emerald and diamond necklace set in white gold with matching earrings.

"Kagome, I want you to have these. They belonged to my mother," he said, looking into her sparkling eyes. "I want you to be with me. Always."

"Inu Yasha!" She yelped, rushing into his arms. His arms had clasped tightly around her then.

Someone had discretely cleared their throat. The couple quickly broke apart and turned around to see Sango standing there in a short red and black vinyl dress with a matching jacket and thigh-high red and black boots. She was wearing hologram red/black boomerang jewelry and a belt of small red and black boomerangs. Her long hair was pulled up into a mass of intricate twists.

"You guys! The limo is waiting for us downstairs! Let's go!" Still she smiled happily for the couple.

Miroku had been standing outside with the limo door open. He waited for the ladies to enter first, but just as Sango was leaning forward to duck inside, he "accidentally" fondled her behind. The bounty hunter reared up, her cheeks flaming to cherry red. Her hand doubled up into a fist and she swung around.

"HENTAI!" Sango yelled striking a blow across Miroku's pleasantly smiling face. He stumbled back and fell into a nearby puddle. A vivid bruise appeared on his cheek and he looked dazed for a minute.

"Inu Yasha, keep your perverted friend away from me!" Sango snapped, joining Kagome inside of the limo.

Inu Yasha peered down at his friend, raising a silvery eyebrow. "Okay dumb ass, now you're wet. But lucky for your sorry ass I packed an extra outfit."

Miroku glanced up at him, chastened by the incident and drenched from head to toe. His Old Style tuxedo was ruined!

"No way, Inu Yasha," he shook his head. "Your sense of fashion is…"

Inu Yasha leaned forward, glaring at him, as he yanked him up from the ground and towards him. "Is what, fuckface?"

Miroku merely looked at his best friend's evening attire. It was hardly appropriate for the evening but it suited Inu Yasha. For some reason, his wild friend felt that they should both wear similar clothing. Inu Yasha would have his way in the end it seemed, at least for tonight.

The young hanyou was dressed in a red leather biker jacket with black side-lacings, matching skintight red leather pants that also laced. He had on a pair of heavy red biker boots with loads of buckles. Underneath the jacket, he had deigned to put on a thin white satin T-shirt that left little to the imagination. The only respectable thing about the outfit was the prayer beads around his neck but that came into question because of the spiked dog collar. Someone had braided the front of his hair in the mode of the Old Style Hip-Hop music artists of the past. It was unusual to say the least, seeing a Dog Demon with zig-zag parts and flat-braids close to his scalp but quite interesting. Miroku had read in the old archives about a famous music artist from the past called "Snoop Dogg". Perhaps he had been an inu youkai as well?

"Never mind," Miroku replied, not bothering to explain. He would take what was given since it was his own fault. But that Sango was a temptress! He had met her the night of the "Goshinki incident" at "Zero's" and never forgot how well she had handled herself. What a woman.

Kagome and Sango had graciously turned away while Miroku changed clothing and dried his hair with the blow dryer. The limo was enormous enough.

"Who is that ahondara?" Sango whispered to her friend.

Kagome giggled. "Don't you remember him from that night at "Zero's"?" Sango shook her head. "No? He is the palace spiritual adviser. Inu Yasha's father took him in as a child when he was orphaned. The Northern Demon Lord murdered his entire family. Lord Inuyoukai thought that his younger son needed a ningen companion because he is hanyou."

"That jamakusai is a hentai jogonsha! The Lord Inuyoukai should be told about him."

"Well, we are going to meet him tonight," Kagome told her friend with a nervous smile

"Oh, you must be excited," Sango exclaimed happily.

"Uh umm…" Kagome stammered not certain how to answer. Her feelings were so mixed. After all, what did Inu Yasha mean by "wanting her to stay" and "always"? Sheesh. Now that Kikyou was back in town, Kagome felt that her place with him was shaken until tonight. He had been so sweet, coming over with the dress and jewelry after formally asking her mother and grandfather if she could come to the Tribute ceremony as his guest. Momma and Grandfather had both said "yes". He had gone on from there, begging her to come with him as his "date". What an old-fashioned word! He had declared her to have a special place in his heart.

Kagome had silently taken the dress and went into her bedroom to try it on. Once she had seen how it fit her to perfection and that it was tasteful silk that caressed and flowed over her body, she knew that he cared for her deeply. Inu Yasha had taken the time and care to have this gown specially designed for her. How could she ignore that? Not wanting to be pessimistic, she could not escape the reality of Kikyou who could very well show up. After all, Kikyou's family was of high-standing, and for the Inu Taisho clan to not invite them would be a grave insult. She had to brace herself for the possibility of her rival being there.

"Kagome-chan?" Sango had been concerned for her, breaking into her thoughts. "Are you all right?"

Before Kagome could reply, Miroku called out to them interrupting. "Okay ladies; tell me if I look like an ass!"

The young women turned around to get a look at Miroku who was tensed up. The clothing after all was Inu Yasha's idea.

The outfit turned out to be a long, dark purple leather coat, with a muted gray-purple mesh shirt underneath and gray-purple leather pants that were molded to his lower body like a second skin. The boots were purple and black with chunky heather-gray heels and were ankle-length with chains. A leather and chain mail choker was around Miroku's throat and he wore fingerless purple leather gloves with chain work.

Sango coughed to cover her response to his appearance. He looked incredible! So very, very sexy. If he wanted to rub her bottom again, she might be tempted to allow it! She squelched the blush that was threatening to burn her cheeks.

"Hey Sango, what's up with your face?" Inu Yasha asked, with a slight frown. "If you don't like it just say so!"

Kagome took a quick peek at her friend and immediately comprehended the situation. Yes, Miroku did look good in the outfit Inu Yasha had chosen, not so old fashioned. True the clothes were a bit over the top because they both looked like musicians but at least they had the good looks and physiques to pull it all off. Of course, she did not want Sango put on the spot though.

"It's fine Inu Yasha. Leave Sango-chan alone! She didn't say anything wrong or bad to Miroku." Kagome smiled with shining innocent eyes at Miroku. "You look truly handsome Miroku." That caused him to blush.

"My thanks, Kagome-san," Miroku said, relief in his rich-brown eyes. He squashed his disappointment at not having a compliment from his love-interest. Perhaps Sango would be more generous later?

The remainder of the ride was spent on discussing the upcoming evening and what it might entail. Inu Yasha had mixed feelings about the proceedings because sometimes humans were offered as part of the Tribute. At a High Tribute, Sesshoumaru, being an asshole, would not doubt demand it. The hanyou didn't want his friends to be upset by the situation so he attempted to prepare them as much as he could by describing the "gifts". It was uncomfortable for Kagome, Miroku and Sango to hear Inu Yasha talk about humans being utilized in various ways demons but they needed to see the proceedings with their own eyes first to determine which course of action to follow.

The limo lurched to a stop right at the main entrance of the palace. No sooner had Inu Yasha, Kagome, Miroku and Sango gotten out of the car to stand near the entrance, when they were bombarded by an ultra-thin green-skinned demon with an elongated pointed visage and white hair, who rudely elbowed them out of the way.

"Move aside, the hime is coming through!"

"Hime?" Kagome repeated, looking over at Inu Yasha who was merely standing there stunned. Sango and Miroku were too busy arguing with the obnoxious demon to notice.

She followed Inu Yasha's gaze and noticed a slender woman with hip-length dark hair wearing a carnation pink gown and a full-length white mink coat. A diamond tiara was upon her head, more diamonds were at her throat, ears and wrists; large rings with brilliant stones graced her small hands.

Kagome wanted to grind her teeth. It was that heiress bitch! Kikyou! What was she doing here? But before she could inquire, Kikyou was gliding towards them. Somehow she insinuated herself into their small group, ignoring Kagome and the others.

"Inu Yasha! Don't you dare just stand there! Com here this instant to see me safely inside," Kikyou demanded, snatching him by the arm to drag him towards the Great Hall's entrance. It didn't matter that she had over a dozen bodyguards because she was an heiress, Kikyou merely wanted her way.

Inu Yasha was so dazed by her reappearance that he failed to notice that it was actually Kikyou walking inside the palace on his arm and his sweetheart, leaving Miroku to attend Kagome and Sango. He had no choice but to present Kikyou to his father.

"Chichi-ue, this is Lady Kikyou," Inu Yasha tensely stated.

The Lord Inuyoukai politely addressed her and soon the woman overwhelmed his father with senseless chatter and obsequious compliments. Inu Yasha rolled his eyes in disgust as his sire skillfully removed Kikyou from his presence and offered him a questioning perusal. Yet he was in the end, forced to sit with the irritating creature. Inu Yasha motioned for a nearby attendant to bring him a strong drink.

Just then Miroku appeared seconds later, smoothly introducing Kagome and Sango. In the confusion, Kikyou wound up in the place that should have been Kagome's!

Now he could feel Kagome eyes boring daggers into him from her place. In Yasha wanted to scream. It was bad enough listening to Kikyou inane banter about her charity work and soirées to raise monies that were needed. If his asshole brother, the infamous guest of honor showed up to see the debacle he'd fallen into, his night would be complete. The last thing he needed was a smug and superior fucker like Sesshoumaru giving him shit. Although there had been rumors drifting around about a ningen girl from the cluster of "gifts" that was cloistered in his suite. Inu Yasha found that hard to digest but if there was a hint a truth there then that bastard had no leverage to keep fucking with him.

"Koishii, what's wrong?" Kikyou purred in his ear.

"Don't call me that!" Inu Yasha growled. He gestured for the little kitsune, Shippou, to attend him. Shippou immediately poured him more aged whiskey, and the hanyou downed it in one single gulp.

"More," he ordered, slamming his fist on the table and startling everyone. He didn't give a damn. Getting drunk would help him to relax, long with a custom-made cigarette-except he didn't have any on him. This didn't stop him taking out his lighter; afterwards he procured a cigarette from Miroku who was rolling his eyes in exasperation. Shippou wisely scurried away to serve the other guests.

"Inu Yasha," Kikyou pouted, placing her hand upon his arm. Surely he's not upset over that low-caste girl I've been seeing him with?

Inu Yasha's arm jerked in surprise at her touch, causing him to miss the cigarette he was attempting to light. Instead, Kikyou's dress was set aflame! She jumped up screeching and running back and forth.

"Calm down, Kikyou!" Inu Yasha bellowed, and one of his father's guests snatched up his whisky glass and threw it on her, which made the dress blaze.

Fortunately Kiyoshi, Lord Inuyoukai's secretary, reached over and snatched the back of the gown completely tear it off of her. He stomped on it, stomping out the flames. Shippou raced over to throw a pitcher of water on the demolished dress.

Kikyou was just standing there screaming in horrified outrage because she was stark naked in her high heels and stockings like an adult film actress doing a porn shoot. Inu Yasha recalled that she didn't care to wear undergarments. Perhaps that would change after this "tragedy".

Portions of Kikyou's long hair was burnt off and singed; the scorched sections were smoking and standing up on end. Overall, the heiress wasn't burned because luckily her dress was made from a special fiber that was fire-resistant.

People were yelling, talking, gawking and staring. The news media were taking pictures and broadcasting the spectacle.

Kagome gaped in astonishment and fought to keep from laughter. Miroku wandered over to offer Kikyou his coat, asking her, "Would you please bear my child?"

Kikyou horrified and embarrassed beyond belief, slapped him and threw his coat back at him leaving her nude because she was wearing her diamonds, tiara, stockings and shoes. Shippou brought her white chinchilla coat and wrapped her in it. The Lord Inuyoukai was graciously escorting the young woman out towards the private exit to her. He threw his son another questioning look stating, "Your brother will not be pleased by this circus at his High Tribute. We will take care of Lady Kikyou. Kiyoshi will see that she is escorted home."

"Chichi-ue-" Inu Yasha attempted to apologize to his father, but the Great Dog Demon silenced him with a brisk movement. The young hanyou was ashamed of ruining his father's night. It was not his intent to bring disgrace upon the Inu Taisho clan. He sighed.

Kagome marched up to Inu Yasha with an angry expression. She pointed her finger at him.

"Well Inu Yasha! What do you have to say for ruining everyone's evening?" Kagome poked him in the chest with each word.

"Keh! I didn't invite that bitch!" He declared sitting down again.

Everyone froze in disbelief.

"I told you he's simple," Miroku stated gently, and then everyone nodded and mumbled in agreement and took their places. "Maybe his hair is braided too tightly to his head, cutting off the needed blood flow?"

"My hair has nothing to with this, you bastard! Who in the fuck are you calling "simple"?" Inu Yasha demanded, rising again, and promptly striking his friend on the head.

"Inu Yasha!" Sango and Kagome rushed forward in defense of poor Miroku who was holding his head.

"Are you okay?" Sango asked sweetly, patting him on the shoulder. She felt him stiffen, as he looked out and over the dais in the crowd.

The masses had all parted once the fervor of Kikyou's "situation" had died down. There were three figures in the middle of the red carpet.

Two were women; one dressed in a blinding white gown that came off the shoulders, while the other was attired in a heavily beaded, colorful short dress with matching boots. The white-haired woman wore jet and obsidian jewelry, very much like her abyss-deep eyes. Her companion carried a large hand-painted fan and wore her hair up high with lots of antique combs. The third person was the main cause of Miroku's reaction.

He was a tall man, comely of face, with dark wavy hair spilling down his back to his waist. His lean, lanky body was covered in a high-necked dark gray leather jumpsuit that zipped from the crotch to his neck and closed with a tiny lock. Black boots with stiletto heels were molded to his legs, the tops ending at his thighs and cuffed over to reveal white animal fur lining. A white fur jacket was draped across one shoulder, as he stood there posing, filling the entire room with power and menace.

"Who is that?" Kagome squeaked aloud, astonished at the sudden appearance of the trio.

"Trespassers," Lord Inuyoukai replied in his very deep voice. "They have intruded on my lands."

"I've never seen him before," Sango said, clasping Miroku's hand, which was now clammy and cold. "He looks like a dominator with his female dungeon submissives."

Miroku wanted to laugh but he felt sick, angry and terrified to the core of his being. He knew that that thing had dared to come here tonight. He exchanged a look with Inu Yasha and felt suddenly better.

"That filthy scum is Naraku, Demon Lord of the Northern Lands," Inu Yasha gritted. "He certainly has a lot of balls coming here."

"Indeed he has," a new masculine voice said.

Everyone turned as one to see who spoke. It was Sesshoumaru. He was standing there with his hand clasped on the hilt of Toukijin.

"Well, since no one has invited me to the VIP dais," Naraku called out, his raspy voice carrying, "I won't feel so "uncomfortable" as to why I'm here."

Lord Inuyoukai coolly addressed him; his fierce eyes were now a muted red. "It does not matter. You have challenged me by coming here. And you will die for it."

"I think not," Naraku said, and his smile was enough to make everyone's flesh crawl. "I am the slighted one, and I will have my due."

No sooner had he said this, than the sound of billions of metallic wings beating became louder and louder. Accompanying the horror of the sound were the screams and terror of the congregated guests and individuals that were all in attendance.

TO BE CONTINUED

A/N: To my readers, please pardon me if there are mistakes. I don't have the luxury of a beta reader. So I do my best. Yes, I know this chapter had Inu Yasha and the others involved but I do like him and everybody else. Can't leave them out. And this time, I tried to provide a small glossary for the Japanese words I used. If anything here is incorrect, please say so! It is a language and culture I respect and I don't want to offend or misuse words-

Domo arigatou-

You know the deal, please review!!

ahondara: fool, oaf, bubblehead

Chichi-ue: very formal and respectful term for father

Hime: honorific meaning lady or princess

ningen: human

jamakusai: pain in the butt

jogonsha: advisor

koishii: darling, dear, an endearment

13