InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ The Beginnings of a Dark Plan Brought to Life ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

THE TRIBUTE

by kittie le sabre

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE BEGINNINGS OF A DARK PLAN BROUGHT TO LIFE

Rin dreamed that she was floating; her hair drifting around her. She was surrounded by dark endless space and she was held suspended and weightless. The sound of her name being called shattered the peaceful tranquility of her dream world.

"Rin!"

She opened her eyes and stared into a pair of terrified eyes that she had thought never to see again. Below her, her aunt Akiko stood there with two men and three women. Rin could not answer though, her voice would not work. Where was she?

Akiko stood there in horror crying out her niece's name. The young woman was above her suspended in a large tank of blue-green fluid. She looked like a mermaid or siren, with her long dark hair drifting in the liquid.

Her eyes blazed with hatred as she turned to address Naraku. "I should purify you where you stand, demon."

Naraku merely looked amused by her threat. "Now that's what I love to see. A miko tainted by the first threads of hatred and revenge. Yes. You will be perfect to bring my wishes into fruition."

Akiko watched him, recoiling at the pleasure in his eyes. Alarm flared up within her as she realized what had happened to her. He needed her to become tainted with darkness in order to use her. If she resisted his influence, perhaps she could save her niece, and the Shikon No Tama. But first, she needed to know what his intentions were. For now, she would play along.

It was not easy to feign hatred but now she knew she must control the extent of her emotions.

"Naraku, you filthy youkai scum, you think to trick me? Do you think that you're so clever?" Akiko mocked, seeking to goad him into revealing some of his plans. "You are not even a true youkai anymore. You claim to be genetically and technically "enhanced" but I fear that it has caused you to envision delusions of godhood!"

Naraku's ruby orbs narrowed in resentment. Kagura moved forward to smirk knowingly, excited by the show of defiance. Ishi put her arm around her lover's waist, not pleased with Kagura's sudden interest in their guest. Kuro merely observed the exchange, blending into the background, adept at being forgotten.

Rin observed the group from her liquid prison, unable to hear what was happening. She was frozen, her mind screaming in terror. She pressed her hands against the glass walls and her heart was pounding frantically. Kami! Was she suffocating? Was she dying?

Her unborn pup shifted in her womb, and she was distracted by the fluttering sensation. Rin was startled momentarily by the evidence of her pregnancy. Her child was growing rapidly. But the realization hit her harder than ever.

The baby would die with her! Where was Sesshoumaru? Even if he cared NOTHING for her, he must value his heir! Or perhaps not? What was a worthless hanyou child to a full-blooded taiyoukai? If she died, he could properly mate with a pureblooded female youkai and produce a more desirable offspring.

So what did it matter? Where was her spark of hope? Her aunt screamed her name in terror. She could not save her from becoming a Tribute offering, and she would not save her now. No one could except Sesshoumaru. The question was would he even bother?

"Hmm," Naraku mused from below staring up at Rin, as he controlled his anger at Akiko's taunting. "Your niece seems to be troubled."

Akiko glanced up in anguish, feeling helpless to save Rin. The girl was wide awake and staring down at them. What was she thinking? She wanted to reach out with her power to touch her niece's energy and aura but it was too risky.

Suddenly, Naraku's hand touched her shoulder. She suppressed her shudder as he spoke close to her ear.

"You seem to be distracted by the sight of her. She is an important player in this, of course."

Akiko scoffed. "She is now the mate of Sesshoumaru-sama."

"Yes, and the mother of his heir," Naraku announced with a smirk, noting her shock. "Yes, I can see you were not aware. And you now fear for two lives, and the possible incontinence of your family."

The woman had to choke back a "yes" feeling the eyes of everyone observing her reactions. She hardened her resolve spouting out, "What do I care? She is no longer a pure vessel since you have just informed me that she has become a demon's whore. Now she was carrying the proof of his vile seed within her womb. No hanyou could be my kin, Lord Naraku!"

Naraku's grin broadened. Yes, Akiko was growing darker by the moment! She had reacted just as he thought she would. He needed her.

His gaze shifted over towards Ishi who was standing with Kagura and saying nothing. His eyes fused with Kagura's and an understanding passed between them. She would not defy him when the time came for Ishi to be full used by him for the final ritual.

Naraku began to speak, his words throbbing with an undercurrent of excitement.

"Tell me, Akiko-san; are you familiar with the fact that a small percentage of ningen females have the ability to bear full blooded youkai offspring?"

Akiko was stunned! She had never heard of such a thing before until now. "How is this possible, Lord Naraku?" It was best to gain as much information as possible from him. Her niece was pregnant and floating suspended in a tank above them, alert and aware! Akiko's mind screamed in torment. It was unbearable but she must bide her time as she had done with Jiro's decision. With Naraku, to pretend to submit and to show weakness would not do. Nor did the Lord of the Northern Lands have the same feelings of prideful possession and passion that her dead spouse had had for her.

"Please explain."

Because his plan was almost fully realized, there was no reason for subtlety now. He would tell her just enough to whet her interest and to fan the flames of her growing hatred.

From behind him, he heard Kagura snort at the woman's request. He threw her an impatient glare that quieted her down. The last thing he wanted was Kagura screwing this up for him.

"Long, long ago two renegade scientists, one human and one youkai geneticist began perfomring "illegal" experiments ningen women. They were both visionaries like myself, not criminals." Naraku's eyes glistened with pleasure at the thought of the scientists and disdain at how they were treated. "The research was considered "unorthodox" and "immoral". But by the time this unlikely pair was discovered and captured by the authorities, they had already altered enough of the human females' DNA to make them capable of bearing viable and unique offspring to a youkai male with powerful youki. Since most strong male youkai would not willingly mate with a ningen, the scientists gave these women a scent that triggered the mating response in the demon males."

Naraku paused in his explanation waiting for the words to trigger a response in his prisoner.

"Are you saying that my niece, Rin, is descended from one of these "altered" women?"

Naraku's eyes flashed. "Of course. Did you think it was an accident that your entire family save the pair of you was wiped out?" Naraku studied her reaction and had to give her credit for composing herself in the face of such a revelation. "I sent the demons to track you down and to carry out my commands. And it was I who subliminally planted the urge in Jiro to kill his wife and to marry you without a dowry! Did you not wonder at your good fortune?" Naraku hissed, savoring her pain. Yes! She would be perfect for transmitting more of the dark energy into the Shikon No Tama!

Akiko was astonished at these words. Somehow she had always known the truth. But when had her judgment become clouded? No, not clouded. He had obviously preyed on her desire to protect and take care of the child she was responsible for.

"Akiko-san, you were an easy mark. Did you think that rape attempt was to defile Rin?" Naraku quipped with a harsh laugh. "No! It was one of my minions sent to determine if the girl had the scent and the ability to bear a full blooded youkai! Kanna planted the idea within your brutish mate to send the girl as part of the High Tribute to the Western Lands when the time was ripe. And everything else fell into place as it should."

Rin watched helplessly as her aunt grew more and more pallid. She could detect the vicious cruelty in Naraku's manner.

The fluid she was submerged in made it impossible for her to weep properly. She could sense the older woman's pain.

As she watched, her eyes became heavier and heavier until trancelike, exhaustion overtook her and she fell back into her comatose state.

Naraku continued his dark explanation, silently communicating with Kanna to deal with Rin.

{Kanna get ready.}

{Hai, Naraku-sama. I am prepared}

{Put the girl back under. I want her unconscious.}

{It is done, Master.}

Akiko could barely contain her rage. Her hands clenched into tiny fists as she listened to how this foul youkai had controlled and played with their lives for his own gain! She could feel herself falling into the darkness and was all too aware that it was the purpose to his revelations.

The Demon Lord of the Northern Lands paused in his monologue to Akiko to give one of his minions a brief order. Although he was enjoying the miko's pain, he was cognizant of the time.

"Kuro, go and prepare my girls. It is almost time."

The nekomata nodded briskly, but his feline eyes fell upon Akiko briefly. He squashed his emotions which were unseemly and escorted Ishi and Kagura from the room. He fought his desire to look back and was displeased with his need to do so.

Naraku began to circle Akiko, watching her pure white aura grow tinged with a dusky pink that was edged with violet. Yes, she was succumbing and the moment was almost upon them.

"Your niece conceived her pup shortly after my "visit" to the Great Hall. Three days determined several factors of the pregnancy to my liking. I won't give you the details but, she IS carrying a youkai child. When the moons align, the pup will be in the position to inherit all of its sire's youki and more since the conjunction will be a time of great power for all with youkai blood."

This unborn pup will be the perfect vessel," Naraku said, his eyes partially closing at the thought.

Akiko needed to ask. She did not want to but, somehow she knew! If only she had completed her training! Her hatred for him threatened to choke her!

"What are you planning to do with the child when the moons conjunct?"

Naraku savored his answer and her response to it.

"My dear Akiko-san, I am surprised you have not guessed it already." He exhaled, relishing and nearly purring with malevolent evil.

"The unborn heir of Sesshoumaru, Lord of the Western Lands, will become the host of the new Shikon No Tama. In essence, the dark spirit of the jewel will become a physical entity; a new being with a dark "soul" since it will fuse with the life-force of the pup. I will use it, with this strong young youkai body, to destroy and conquer the entire universe."

A/N: The brackets {} are the telepathic communication between Naraku and Kanna.

Please, don't pelt me for the cliffhanger. Gomen for any mistakes or typos! I was in a bit of a hurry to put this one out.

Thanks to all who reviewed!

Please review again! It makes me feel appreciated and happy! Also, it makes me want to keep writing and updating this story more often!