InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ Lair of The Mad ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I own nil.

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to New Fan (Jess) and all the reviewers/writers who take the time and energy to care and tell us how much they love and appreciate our work. I've seen New Fan and a few other peeps reviewing quite often on Aff.net, FF.net and Media Miner.org. Thank you again!!

Lots of love to everyone who enjoys and supports fandom for "Inuyasha". Thanks for being patient and waiting for this new installment of "The Tribute."

THE TRIBUTE

by kittie le sabre "a rage 2 velvet" enterprise

CHAPTER TWELVE

LAIR OF THE MAD

Naraku's patience had worn thin.

He needed the taiyoukai's mate here before the triple full moons became aligned. Even if that baka Sesshoumaru did not know if the unborn pup would be full youkai or hanyou, he did, which is why he was so pressed for time.

It had been easy to bribe the young lord's enemies within the palace. Everyone had their weaknesses and he, Naraku, was the master at exploiting them.

Leiko was bitter because Sesshoumaru had rejected her. Saburo had coveted Rin and Kiyoshi's place. Manten was resentful and jealous of his own brother. Ishi had lusted for power and had fallen prey to Kagura's sexual expertise. Masa the guard was seeking revenge on his master for been chastened.

It had been too easy.

`Kanna,' he mentally called out, searching for her presence.

The tiny white-haired woman abruptly appeared before him. She was wearing a semi-sheer kimono with an opalescent under robe; the top layer was silver-white and adorned with crystalline beading. When she walked towards him, he could see her high-heeled silver/Lucite shoes.

Pleasure in her swelled up in Naraku, but it was not rutting desire he felt for her, no never, not as keenly as the passion of his own vanity. Sex with her was like making love to himself but in a female body.

`I see you have anticipated my needs. Is the lab prepared?'

`Hai Master, all is in readiness. The woman is here.' Kanna's words were as colorless as her appearance.

Naraku grinned, speaking aloud. "Good. Have Kagura bring Ishi with her. She has done well." He started walked away from her when another thought insinuated itself. "Oh, yes and have Kuro bring our other "guest" as well."

Kanna bowed and immediately vanished to do his bidding. Naraku allowed a twisted caricature of a smile to form upon his thin mouth. Tonight, all would go as it should.

Meanwhile in a suite within another wing of his palace, Akiko continued her miko exercises. She was not sure of what Naraku's plans for her were, but she had to prepare herself for it. The Shikon No Tama was now a monstrosity of vile evil. He had maligned it until it had become an ectoplasm entity that physically needed to feed on the lifeforce of other beings. She was well aware that he wanted her to become a dark miko so that she could assist him in his perversions.

Since her niece was in grave danger, she would play along for now until she could make the attempt to purify the energy demon that Naraku had made the jewel into. Not to mention his despicable and malevolent use of youkai clones to keep the tainted essence of the jewel "alive".

Akiko sneered at the luxurious surroundings.

The room was enormous, with an entire wall of windows overlooking the huge gardens and pathways outside, as if to mock her loss of freedom. The rugs were all black, as was the satin and fur bedding, curtains and sheets. The pillows were all violet, as were the walls, and the ceiling was palest silver. The lamps and floor cushions varied in shades of violet, black and gray. Peculiar, almost nightmarish historical fairy tales of tragic love decorated several of the walls throughout the suite, including the cavernous bathroom which was done in blinding silver with black accents.

She even had a sitting room and a library-entertainment area with high-tech data and the best assortment of multimedia she'd ever encountered outside of the government sponsored facilities that were made accessible to the public for their use. Her closet was filled with every necessity for clothing and personal grooming. Each area had a quality enhanced cyborg, usually human, occasionally youkai or hanyou, to cater to her needs; whether she needed her hair washed and dressed, or her body massaged and oiled, her makeup, nails and feet done.

Initially upon her arrival, Akiko had attempted to refuse these "services" but was immediately informed by Kagura, and then later Kuro, that her refusal was not allowed.

Naraku set a strict list of household rules and had formatted a schedule of "services" and "appointments" that Akiko was to participate in or at least utilize. Every evening she was forced to dress and attend dinner, and other functions of note that Naraku announced.

There were parties and gatherings with humans, youkai, hanyous and off-worlders from far away places. Some were politicians, scientists, sorcerers, officials, rulers, artists and celebrities that had connections and business with Naraku. Akiko attempted to discern and listen in on these occasions but it was as if she were placed in an area of the table where certain trickles of the conversation intended for her to take note of were heard, and at other times, not.

Akiko was all too aware that Naraku employed a mixture of the occult, sciences, technology and magic which was considered to be by mystics, an abomination. She did not doubt that in using this contaminated method he had managed to achieve the recreating of the Shikon No Tama. With just her limited mystic and spiritual gifts and training, would it be enough to stop him?

Before she could think more on the matter, her main door announced in a computerized masculine assimilated voice, "Lady Akiko, you have a visitor. Please come to the main parlor. The visitor does not have access to be admitted further."

Akiko grimly smiled. From the announcement, she was well aware that it was one of Naraku's henchmen, namely Kuro, the nekomata, another being of darkness. He made her uneasy with his licentious interest in her. He would flaunt his exotic beauty in scantily provocative clothing designed to reveal the superb beauty that he proudly flaunted. His tawny skin and nearly ankle-length hair was scented with jasmine, sandalwood and myrrh, all blending with the masculine aroma he exuded that was a pheromone of some kind.

She had learned that he was a being of sinister aura and dark sorcery. He was repulsed by Naraku's use of other systems of knowledge with the sorcerous arts. Her station had made her a keen observer of people and circumstances. Akiko believed in logic first, and then knowledge, when making a decision. Emotions were never a part of her decisions, which is why she had married and suborned herself to Jiro. Although a brute, he was easy to control because he had allowed her to become his weakness. She had chosen him because he was the strongest protector for her and her young niece. Never mind her feelings on the matter, after their loss, it was her duty to make sure that Rin would be safe and well taken care off.

When Jiro's jealousy and resentment had prompted him to send the girl away as part of the High Tribute, Akiko had made inquiries about Lord Inutaisho's household. She soon learned that the chances of Rin surviving would be determined by the caliber who she was overall. Akiko had no doubt that she would prized by someone in the household even if it was not the old taiyouaki's human hating son. But Destiny had a way of intervening and now her niece was the mate of Lord Sesshoumaru, the new Lord of the Western Lands.

Akiko slowly rose to her feet and reluctantly sauntered towards the main parlor. Kuro was quite different from her husband, or any other male she had ever dealt with. He was unpredictable and he was a demon that was known for devouring its prey.

Kuro casually lounged upon a plush chair, in a graceful spill of hair, lean muscle and arch sensuality. His midnight dark locks cascaded to the crimson rug in a heavy swirl that even from a distance looked like velvety fur. She could detect the feral gleam of his metallic green-golden eyes glowing in the muted light filtering into the room. His features were piquantly androgynous, sculpted and exquisite with a deceptive gamine allure.

When he greeted her, Akiko noted that his lips were deep coppery-red in hue and that his teeth were as sharply keen as any predator's. The shock was when he smiled, dimples appeared on either side of his cheeks.

"As always, it is a pleasure, Akiko-sama," he called out in a husky voice that went straight to the loins.

Had Akiko been a lesser being, she suspected she would have already succumbed to his seduction. But he knew how far to go with her without running the risk of purification.

"Why are you here, Kuro?"

"Never one for wasting time on amiable conversation, eh?" Kuro remarked, rising in a liquid motion. There was a blur and he was standing in front of her looking down into her eyes.

"There is no point when one is a prisoner," Akiko replied, not flinching although she was unnerved by him. The scent he exuded escalated, and she was grateful for her years of discipline and training even though she had not completed her miko studies. But what she knew was enough to combat such as he.

"What message do you bring me from your master now?"

Kuro paused studying her for several moments. He was fascinated for all that she was a mere ningen. It would not do but yet he could not control the urge, all too aware that his senses betrayed him. These emotions were foreign to such as he because he was youkai, and ningen…well they were merely his prey. Yet such strength could not be causally dismissed and all youkai respected strength.

"He requests your presence immediately."

"Does he?" Akiko walked away from him and sat down. It placed distance between them and she could study his body language at her leisure.

"Well, Naraku-sama commands but he is not without his courtly attributes. However, I do not think you want to ignore this invitation." Kuro was truly a cat in that he loved toying with anyone. Still, he could not view Akiko-san as "prey". She did not exude such a weakness although he had no doubt that she knew how to "play" at being such if necessary.

Several moments passed, and then she abruptly rose to her feet, a feeling of foreboding settling in her stomach.

Somehow she knew it was about Rin.

With dread twisting inside of her gut, she followed Kuro from the lavish prison.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up when he caught sight of his crimson-eyed brother storming towards him. The waves of youki and rage coming off him had other youkai running away in terror. Good thing he was standing by the door, just in case this got ugly.

"Where is Miroku?" Sesshoumaru demanded without preamble.

Inuyasha didn't pause or hesitate in giving him a reply. He knew something was wrong because 1.) He was beyond pissed. 2.) Rin was NOT with him.

"He went to escort the girls to the ladies room."

"Tell him to meet me upstairs in the office." Sesshoumaru turned on his heel and vanished.

Inuyasha muttered, "Bossy motherfucker."

Several moments passed as he scanned the club for anything untoward. Suddenly he smelled and sensed Kagome nearby.

"Hey, Inuyasha what's going on?" Kagome asked concern in her vivid brown eyes.

"Sesshoumaru's being more of prick than usual. He just scared more than half the clientele out of here just now."

Kagome looked around taking note that the club was more than half empty. She'd thought something was odd.

Just then a furious Sango stormed pass. Miroku trailed behind her with an apologetic expression and a vivid red handprint on his face.

"Hentai!" The bounty hunter retorted angrily. "I will cut off your hands if you don't keep them to yourself!"

Miroku visibly paled. "I did apologize for my forwardness. Should a man be punished merely because he succumbs to the temptation of beauty?"

At this point an annoyed Inuyasha stepped in to cut him off before Sango belted him again.

"Miroku! We don't have time for this shit! My asshole brother wants you now! Let's go!"

Miroku willingly followed his friends with the girls right behind them to the office. Everyone halted at the threshold. Sesshoumaru was standing in the middle of the room and a couple of lesser youkai were carting out the mangled remains of bodies.

Suddenly another voice exploded into the room.

"What in the fuck is going on here?"

Everyone turned to look at Hiten who was standing in hallway with a smirking Kikyou. Before he could move, Sesshoumaru had his hand around Hiten's throat and was lifting him up from the floor.

"You will tell this Sesshoumaru what you know."

Hiten couldn't say anything, his vocal chords were being mercilessly constricted in the powerful gasp of the taiyouaki.

Sesshoumaru squeezed to make his point more pronounced. "Now." When Hiten merely kicked and turned blue with his eyes rolling towards the back of his head, Sesshoumaru dropped his partner to the floor in angry dismissal.

Kikyou gasped and ran to crouch over him, uttering words of love and concern. She threw Sesshoumaru a glare and he continued to ignore her, coldly addressing the youkai lying on the floor.

"Hiten."

Hiten finally caught his breath and choked out, "I-I d-don't know anything except that Manten's been acting weird lately. That's all."

Inuyasha stepped forward, inhaling quickly. "He's not lying." Sesshoumaru had impatiently turned away from Hiten and was addressing Miroku.

"I want you to locate the portal that was used," Sesshoumaru demanded, and caught something out of the corner of his eyes. Kagome looked very disturbed and almost ill.

"Inuyasha, see to your wench."

Inuyasha replied with a dry "keh" and wandered over to Kagome to place his arms around her. "What's wrong, Kagome?"

"Inuyasha!" She exclaimed almost tearfully. "I felt IT but it wasn't right! It wasn't right!"

"Is she talking about Naraku?" Sango interjected, worry plastered across her features.

"No! No, it's the Shikon No Tama," Kagome stated with a shudder, clinging to Inuyasha who stroked her hair.

"We have no time to discuss useless trinkets," Sesshoumaru growled, his eyes bleeding red.

"We do if it will help us locate Rin-sama!" Kagome exclaimed with a touch of anger lacing her words. She wouldn't back done from this arrogant ass! She liked Rin very much.

Sesshoumaru did not deign to reply to her comment. He stood there, his eyes returning to their flat chilling amber.

Miroku called over his shoulder, "I've found it!"

Hiten and Kikyou had decided to vacate the premises, it was obvious that things were getting too strange and complicated.

"I will be contacting you when your presence is required, Hiten," Sesshoumaru informed him.

"Hai, Lord Sesshoumaru," Hiten answered, rushing out the door with Kikyou who was miffed because Inuyasha and the others had not bothered to address her the entire time she was there.

"Kagome, I'm getting some strange readings," Miroku said, "Is that what you were feeling?"

Kagome walked over to stand where he was and nodded briskly. "Yes. Someone used the jewel's power to open the portal here. I can still feel the residue of the dark energy. If only I had completed my miko training! But Momma and Grandpa needed help with the family business." Poor Rin! Now Naraku surely had her at his mercy.

Inuyasha placed his arm around her. "Don't worry, Kagome. We have something. We'll find her."

Sesshoumaru glared at Miroku, who merely stammered and sweated. "Right. Back to work."

Within moments, they had located the source and destination of the portal.