InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Return of the Flea ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This piece is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied. Return of the Flea

Myoga wailed when he saw his master vanish into the meidou. For three days, he was inconsolable, bewailing the loss of his master. Only when Totosai announced Tessaiga's return, did Myoga rouse from his sad state, demanding to know what happened. Totosai shrugged, ignoring him when he insisted they go back to the village, commenting that the swords didn't need him. Desperate to learn the fate of his master, Myoga left.

Reaching the village days later, Myoga followed the smell of sweaty hanyo. Sitting on a stack of lumber, Inuyasha was glowering at the wall of Kaede-sama's hut. Overjoyed with relief and anticipation, the flea landed, plunging deep, the delicious blood flooding into his throat--

Thwack!

Inevitably, Inuyasha-sama refused to let him drink his fill. Flattened, Myoga mourned his master's selfishness. How he yearned to suck his fill, just once, when Inuyasha-sama's blood was not tainted with poison! But, such was the life of a flea! Resigned, he popped himself back.

"Oh, Inuyasha-sama, I'm so happy you're back!" he cried, bouncing on the red-clad shoulder. "When you disappeared, I feared you'd never return!"

"Shut up, bug!"

Myoga halted, staring up at the cheekbone, which was about all he could see from his vantage point. "But, Inuyasha-sama, surely you are happy! Naraku is gone! And surely, you brought the lovely Kagome-sama back with you! That is why you went into the meidou, to find her!"

"I said, shut up!"

Myoga cowered, confused.

"Inuyasha!" Myoga saw Miroku and Sango peering around the corner of the hut. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong--just leave me alone!"

Myoga found himself spinning through the air. Slamming into cloth, he wriggled around in time to see Inuyasha leaping away. "Master! Don't leave!" He started to jump, but a hand blocked him.

"Let him be, Myoga." Myoga hopped to a fingertip, looking up. Miroku explained.

"There's no chance she'll return?"

Miroku sighed, expression pained. "I--doubt it. Inuyasha's actually been coping pretty well, but he's hurting, Myoga. He needs his friends. Including you."

"Me?"

"You've known him longer than anyone save maybe Sesshomaru, haven't you?"

"Longer. But--I'm not a friend! I'm just his vassal!"

"A servant can't also be a friend?"

Myoga gaped, surprised at the concept.

"You could always distract him, if he starts brooding too much," suggested Sango.

"I..."

"You'll stay?"

He twitched, not liking commitments. But...

It would mean more snacking opportunities.

He agreed.


Author's Note: This piece was originally published in the IY_Themes community on LiveJournal on October 18, 2009, for the prompt 'Bug'.