InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Delay ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This story is based on "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Delay

Miroku yawned, lazily stretching. All was well. His plans and bargaining for his new house were complete. By midsummer, he'd have the house, and Sango, and--

Crack!

The monk snapped fully awake, as did everyone else in the hut. Noting in passing Inuyasha's absense, Miroku grabbed his staff and ran outside. Looking around, he discovered a scattered heap of boards resting in the shadow of the hut. Glancing up, he saw Inuyasha soaring through the sky. "Inuyasha!"

"I'll be back!"

Miroku eased his weight back, frowning. "Miroku?" He glanced at Sango, who walked over to join him, kosode haphazardly tied shut, Hiraikotsu in her hand. Her eyes flicked at the lumber, and widened. "Inuyasha brought that? Where did he get it?"

"That's what I'd like to know," Miroku admitted. "He hasn't had time since he returned, and I wouldn't expect him to have the skill," he nodded at the smooth, straight boards.

Shippo hopped onto the boards, sniffing. "I can smell tanuki!" he exclaimed. "And... and... um... I don't know those youkai..." He sniffed again, and then skittered backwards, tail fluffed. "Sesshomaru!"

Miroku and Sango exchanged glances. "Sesshomaru must have brought it," she surmised. "But, why?" Surely, not for us..."

"No--and why would Inuyasha leave it here, rather than where we'll build?" he replied. "No sense making extra work."

"Maybe it's for Kaede-sama?" asked a small voice behind them. Turning, they saw Rin, dressed in a new kimono, looking up at them. "When Sesshomaru was here, he did look happy, when he looked at the hut."

The soon-to-be-married couple looked at each other, then simultaneously turned to examine the hut. It had been largely destroyed when youkai had attacked and carried off the possessed Kohaku. The villagers had rebuilt the hut, but their haste was obvious in the re-used, cracked wood, and the slight but definite tilt. Kaede had shrugged off the poor results, noting the pressure of planting season and the other damage needing repairs. Miroku felt sudden shame. He'd been concentrating so much on his own wants, that he hadn't thought about what others needed.

"You're probably right, Rin-chan," he said. "Kaede deserves a new hut, and Sesshomaru wants you well-cared for." He gave Sango a wry look. "I think we'll have to delay our plans a bit, Sango. Elders and children first, yes?"

She smiled and nodded. He sighed, resigned.

He so didn't want to wait!


Author's Note: This one-shot was written for the iy_themes community on LiveJournal, for challenge #08: Plan. It was originally posted on August 11, 2009. It placed third.