InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Recompense ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This story is based on "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Recompense

Inuyasha paused in his dawn patrol, startled by the white light streaking across the sky. What was Sesshomaru doing back in the area already? He'd visited only three--days ago. And why wasn't he headed towards the village?

Inuyasha followed. He found his brother in a clearing, illuminated by a shaft of sunlight breaking through the mostly-bare trees, perched atop a stack of almost white--

Lumber?

Inuyasha landed on a low tree branch. "What are you doing here, Sesshomaru?" He sniffed carefully, detecting the traces of several youki on the bare boards, as well as the now-fading trace of Sesshomaru's youki glimmering around the wood.

Sitting in an indolent pose, white silks glowing, Sesshomaru smirked.

"I know you've been preoccupied, little brother," he said. "But surely you have not failed to notice the decrepit condition of your present domicile?"

"Hunh?"

"The miko deserves some recompense for her care of Rin," observed the youkai, standing. "Be a good hanyo and convey these to her."

"Hey, hey wait! Why don't you take them yourself?"

"And deprive you of the opportunity to exercise your body instead of your tears?" asked Sesshomaru, rising on his cloud of youki.

"Come back here!" Sesshomaru vanished. Inuyasha swore until he ran out of breath, wondering if it would be okay to hate his brother again.

And then, he jumped down, glared at the pile a moment longer, loaded as many boards as he could safely handle onto his shoulder, and took off.

Grumbling every leap of the way.


Author's Note: This drabble was written for the Issekiwa community on LiveJournal, for the theme "White". It was originally posted on August 11, 2009. It took first place.