InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened To Innocent Life? ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

(Revised)
Chapter 2
The others impatiently waited for Inuyasha's return, not liking the fact that he had just left them standing in the snow, shivering.
“Lady Kagome, Inuyasha must have had a good reason for running off. I'm sure he'll be real back soon, though,” Miroku reassured, gathering more firewood so that they could start a fire. As if on cue, the said demon bounded into the trees they group had took refuge in, hoping the trees would block some of the strong winds from the clearing.
Kagome was the first to take notice that instead wearing his haori, that he had it wrapped around something small. She figured it must have been important to him, because Inuyasha held it close to him, cradling it, it seemed.
“What do you got there, Inuyasha?” Everyone silently agreed to allow Kagome to ask the question that was racing through their minds as the half-demon landed in front of them.
Inuyasha continued to stare down at the small, unconscious child in his arms, trying to get a grasp on his anger so he wouldn't take in out on his friends. He knew it wasn't their fault that this pup was in the condition she was in, but he had a tendency of taking his stress out in arguments, and right now, he knew, wasn't a good time for one them. Taking a deep breath, Inuyasha finally lifted his soft golden gaze and immediately worried blue-gray ones captured his eyes.
“Sango, Shippo, Kirara, you guys start setting up camp. Miroku, Kagome - you two set up a comfortable bed and get ready to do some healing will ya?” When Inuyasha noticed that everyone was giving him curious looks instead of doing what he had told them to, a growl erupted from the of his throat and his eyes darkened in color.
Hearing him growl, everyone jumped to do what was told of them, besides Kagome. She caution walked forward, taking note that Inuyasha's eyes narrowed in warning. Giving him a small, disarming smile, she carefully reached out to touch the bundle - being sure to keep an eye one Inuyasha. I wasn't that she didn't trust him. Oh, no, on the contrary, it was the exacted opposite, after all Inuyasha had protected her for the last four and some odd years. That did count for something right? Well, she trusted him with all her heart, body, and soul but at this moment her own senses were telling her to be weary and Inuyasha had always said trust her senses.
Just as Kagome's fingers brushed along the red fabric, she found a clawed hand wrapped around her wrist. She didn't try to pull out of Inuyasha grip but she did turn her gaze fully up to lock with his. “Inuyasha,” Kagome's voice was quiet and soothing, yet in a way commanding - she did not wanting to get the other's attention. “You will let go of my arm. I wont hurt whatever you brought here, but if you want me to heal it you'll have to let me see it.” She had to keep herself wincing as she felt her bones and muscle groan in pain as he continued to add more pressure to her small arm. Soon she felt a small crack and Inuyasha talons breaking through her skin, closing her eyes tightly and biting down on her tongue as she held back both tears and a yelp.
The scent of Kagome's blood snapped Inuyasha back in reality, causing him to release his grip on her. Inuyasha watched as Kagome curdled her damaged appendage to her chest - taking deep, calming breaths. Even with her abnormally strong priestess abilities, her broken arm would take time to heal - even if she had Miroku's help. “I-I'm sorry,” Inuyasha apologized, taking a step away from his friend. Guilt and shame spread through him as Kagome teary blue-gray eyes looked at him and a small smile graced her lips.
“Don't worry about it Inuyasha. I knew this would happen.” It was the truth, though she had thought it was going to be a lot worst. She was just glad that he had snapped back to his senses before he could hurt anyone else.
When she saw the confusion written on his face she continued. “My priestess powers have never once thought of you as a threat. But today, when you came to us, you weren't the Inuyasha you are now. You were a demon that had something to protect, and for that, I don't blame you for what happened, and everything in me told me that you were a threat.” Inuyasha nodded in understanding, not caring that everyone had come to see what was going on. “I never want to have that feeling about you again, is that understood?” Now Kagome let the tears roll down her cheeks - from both pain and the fear that she had lost Inuyasha to his demon side - as she turned and motioned for Inuyasha to follow.
Inuyasha followed Kagome submissively over to the bed that Miroku had prepared out of sleeping skins. Gently, Inuyasha set the child down and unwrapped her from his haori. A few grasps from behind him alerted him that his friends had seen some of the wounds that the child was adorned with.
“Sango, take Kagome and wrap her arm. Miroku could you start on heal this pup? Shippo, Kirara, could you guys get some ramen started.” Without question, everyone started doing what was asked of them. No one questioned him on what he was going to do nor did they ask what happen just a few moments ago. Everyone knew that they would get their answers sooner or later and that all they needed to do was be patient.
Miroku looked over the dog-demon child under, what would had been, the watchful eye of Inuyasha if the said demon hadn't been engross in his own thoughts. He knew it would be useless to try and talk to Inuyasha when he was like this so he continued his examination… continually finding things that upset him deeply.
Sango had led Kagome to a little stream a little ways away from their camp. Cracking the ice with her giant boomerang, she dipped a piece a cloth into the freezing water, soaking it. Taking the cloth she moved over to her shivering sister-figure who sat on a nearby log, still clutched her arm to her chest. Her blood had soaked through the thick cloth that made up Kagome's jacket.
“Kagome, you need to take your jacket off. I need to clean your wounds.” Sango looked at Kagome's tear stained face and hugged her close - though, being careful of her injured arm. “Everything is alright now, Kagome.” Sango soothed, like the big sister she felt she was. “Inuyasha is fine, he's normal again.”
“I though I lost him to his demon side Sango. I really did! Never once has he hurt me, not once!” Kagome confided her fears, knowing that nothing would go beyond this clearing. “It hurts so bad.”
“I know, but everything is ok now.” The older woman held her crying sister and offered her as much comfort as she could. Once Kagome had settled down a bit, Sango went about the rigorous task of cleaning and splinting Kagome's arm. That task in itself brought on a whole new set of tears and the promise of death or at least a thousand `sit' to a certain dog-demon.