InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What We Fight For ❯ Conflict Between ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! Not as perfect as it could be, but near that ^.^
Official Disclaimer: Yeah, right. If I owned InuYasha, that hanyou would have pushed Kikyou off a cliff at some point in the anime. XD
[Date Edited: July 16th 2011]
~(+)~
=Chapter 4: Conflict=
Silence. The deadest of soundless tones echoed through the thickened air of dread and defiance, clashing together in an endless circle as uncertain gaze fought to overcome the ever steadfast pillars of the dark voids ensnaring all light in its path. This was the scene that played out in a seemingly indefinite time, as houshi, taijiya, and youkai alike stood their ground against this new foe, this tainted miko standing before them. Who she had been long forgotten, who she was now the only concern.
Miroku, was probably the only one barely grasping sound of mind as he continued to stare at this young woman, covered and stained in his defeated comrade's blood. Inuyasha's blood. His unmoving form just yards between both sides of the battlefield, the group's rising grief over the hanyou's defeat becoming ever apparent. We must stop her rampage, before the Kagome we know is truly lost to the darkness surrounding her. What could have caused you to succumb to such things Kagome? What could Naraku have possibly done to overcome your spiritual powers so easily? The houshi's thoughts were repetitive and solemn, and from what he could tell, this miko's aura was indeed tainted, however, for some odd reason, her powers of purification had not lessoned despite her full exposure to miasma and other dark energies recently. In fact, it seemed they might have even increased! It was strange to say the least.
"M-Miroku, what s-should we d-do?" A faint, trembling kitsune whispered from behind him, the boy finding a safe haven behind his robes.
Slightly turning his head as discreetly as possible, Miroku simply told him to go and hide in a hushed tone so only the two of them could hear. It was all he needed to say for Shippo to know it was dangerous, and though he was reluctant at first, the kitsune did as he was told and ran toward Kaede in the small crowd of villagers who were brave enough to watch on from the borders of the village. (As it would seem over the course of the previous battle between Kagome and Inuyasha, things had gradually moved towards the edge of said village unknowingly)
Things were not looking good. The questions were overwhelming the answers. Should they be the ones to make the first move? To fight in battle with their once most trusted companion? If so, how far should they take such a conflict? Would they need to injure Kagome to escape with Inuyasha's weakened form, as he barely clung to life? Yes, the houshi hadn't believed it at first, but the stubborn hanyou, even in unconsciousness, refused to fall at the hands of a mortal, as his human half of all things had come to his rescue during the full purification of his demonic energy. Being only half youkai as he was, Inuyasha had barely escaped with his life, and had only his dog-eared half spiritually fried, raven hair now took the place of his usually silver locks. The transformation was becoming clear to everyone who still watched over him, and Kagome herself was now aware as the silence continued. Only now, she was attempting to end it again!
Sango visibly tensed as she stopped herself from lifting hiraikotsu, unsure what to do as she heard Miroku instead holler out a warning to their possessed friend, "Kagome, if you so much as raise your sword to Inuyasha once more, I will have no choice but to defend him from you!" he scolded harshly, now glaring at the enraged woman who herself was showing signs of growing hostility. The silence…was about to end.
Brown eyes met those of deep blue, both expressions from the faces they belonged to unreadable beyond something similar to aggravation. The tainted miko knew this houshi, and had once found his sound reasoning reassuring, that maybe not all men were total morons. (Give and take his perverted ways) Now though, her eyes had been opened. She could see clearly how blind and foolish she had been to believe these people could ever be trusted, let alone just the back stabbing hanyou; whose life was only seconds away from ending all together anyway.
Letting out a truly amused chuckle, Kagome turned her gaze to the houshi with a grin, a wild yet conflictingly bitter gleam in her eyes, claws still frozen above her, ready to strike. "You idiot" She murmured somewhat spitting out the words, her insult rolling out with amusement yet matter of fact logic besides. "Look at who I stand above! Look at who has fallen at my feet! The person who everyone thought was unstoppable, this filthy half breed that got just a little too cocky, and who let his pride blind him to the possibilities." Then, she paused. Hand still raised, the woman let her raven locks create a thick shadow over her crimson tinted orbs, a suddenly cold and hateful aura rising into the air as it was again thick with tension. No one dared speak, though the group opposing this miko still stood with a defensive awareness about them. Then, the girl’s thick and wildly arranged black bangs rose up, her eyes suddenly a piercing blood red, while now outlined the same shade as a tainted jewel shard. A sharp intake of breath could be heard from somewhere in the crowd of villagers as this dark version of Kagome suddenly revealed her new form; words covering over the realization as harshly as possible "He was blind to how strong I really am."
Fighting back his own shock at this woman's sudden change of aura, abrupt altering of eye shade, knowing all too well what it meant, Miroku dared to open his mouth, as if it could possibly change her opinion of things, "Lies! Lies Kagome! You know Inuyasha far better than any of us! He wasn't blind as you make him out to be. That hanyou only cared for you, Kagome. He only wished for your safety. That was why he would not allow himself to strike even a single blow at you. That was why he held back!" And taking a forced breath, wavering breath, he even added "Your life was too important to risk."
The tainted priestess only scoffed at his words, they held no meaning for her now. Couldn’t he see he was only wasting his time? "And that is what ruined him in the first place. It made him weak. He honestly thought he could hurt me! He doubted my strength when he knew how strong my aura was. He refused to see me as an equal! He'd rather acknowledge that dead carcass Kikyou as his equal over me! Even after I wasted my life on him and did nothing but help him! That half breed is a bastard and no one can say otherwise!" She was shrieking now, as if that was what she truly believed, honestly convinced was the facts. She truly was unaware. She was the one who could not see. She was blinded by whatever darkness Naraku had put over her eyes and her heart.
The monk suddenly noticed how emotional Kagome had become over this declaration, this new outlook on the hanyou who had once been her friend. This sudden turn of events, the uttering of Kikyou’s name brought a new idea to this problem. A scene, the monk had all but forgotten…
*Flashback*
"Don't think this is over just yet. I'll be back soon" Naraku's new incarnation, the infant, declared as his newly created force field began to slowly rise into the dust filled air, an utterly enraged amber eyed hanyou glaring daggers at the pale faced thing.
"Shut up you bastard! Don't you ever touch Kagome again!" He shouted angrily, a sharp fang flashing through his upper lip for enfaces.
As if not even noticing the threat, the child went on "Now that priestess Kikyou is no longer with us, that girl is the only one who can see the sacred jewel shards."
"What?" Miroku gasped in surprise. It had never occurred to anyone after the priestess Kikyou’s death Kagome had suddenly become the last to possess the ability. He was beginning to realize the plan.
"Soon, very soon. Once Kagome's eyes become ours, the sacred jewel will become whole once again." Pausing to let a small chuckle rumble his tiny throat the frail infant then added "One full of hate that is…"
There was no way Inuyasha would stand to hear some little brat speak blasphemy about Kagome that way! She
wasn't weak! "Are you crazy? There is no way on EARTH Kagome would ever do ANYTHING to help Naraku!" and it was the truth under normal circumstances.
The child scoffed, unfazed by the half breed's unwavering faith in that weak human who lay still unconscious in his arms. "There are many ways to corrupt that girl, Inuyasha. So long as you cannot forget Kikyou" and with that mind boggling thought, the boy and his servant Kagura, were gone. Leaving everyone truly shaken. Especially Inuyasha…
*End of Flashback*
It all made sense now! The motive, how Kagome was acting! It was completely predictable, really. How could they have even allowed Kagome out of their sight those three days anyway? With Naraku already targeting her as he had been, why had they not thought he would go after her by the well that day? More importantly, why had they just up and decided to all go on that youkai extermination mission without making sure Kagome was safely at Kaede’s hut first? It truly made his head spin with regret and guilt. However, in all honesty, that knowledge didn't really give Miroku much power at the moment. Though he was now aware what was going on, at least to some degree, he still didn't know exactly how Kagome had been corrupted, so there was no way to reverse it.
"Inuyasha!" Sango's sudden and urgent cry sent the houshi back to reality as he watched the slayer attempted to block the oncoming attack on her friend, who was still unconscious and thus helpless against any oncoming attacks from Kagome. It was obvious the tainted miko cared little to pick a fight with either he or Sango. All she wanted was Inuyasha, and they had to protect him until the hanyou was ether conscious or out of harm’s way. Which honestly, wasn’t going to be anytime soon from the looks of his injuries.
But now realizing what was going on, Miroku jumped into action as well, concluding that the way this corrupted miko was acting now, she wouldn't hold back on killing Inuyasha for good if she wasn't stopped by some outside influence; which was obviously he, Sango and Kirara, who was galloping behind him. Everything seemed to slow down for a moment, as Sango ran to her hanyou comrade's side, desperately pushing her mortal limbs as fast as they could go. If one had the senses of a youkai at that passing moment, they could have heard the ferociously wild pumping of a heartbeat, seen clearly the desperate glimmer of eyes, and the sudden flash of light as Sango drew her small sword from its sheath in an eager attempt at spearing Inuyasha his valued life…and Miroku could only run toward them as the miasma blade went down, and metal attempted to meet it…
A clear ringing, clashing, and explosion of light erupted from the attack as Sango's sword did indeed hit its mark and reflect the midmorning sunrise in its wake, the near demonic pressure already weakening the youkai slayer's grip on the hilt of her weapon. She was near her breaking point already! Fortunately, Miroku was there to push Kagome to the side, and allow his partner in battle to snatch the miasma infected sword to the side, Kirara hovering over it in guarding. That was one defense down, at least.
However, if only they'd been in the clearing only moments before Inuyasha's own defeat. It was a moment just like this one when Kagome's trap was sprung. This was when claws replaced blade…
“AGH!” Sango grunted loudly as her body was forced back on reflex, a splash of crimson ripping through the air from a new gash on her neck as the taijiya shifted back from the sudden pain, losing her footing even more as this merciless version of Kagome struck another blow to her side while Sango’s defenses were down.
Completely blinded by pain and shock from the wounds she now bore, the purple smoke of miasma seeping through the cut as well, Sango did the only thing her mind could register. Counter attack. Without really thinking, she quipped the hidden blade in the sleeve of her taijiya uniform and swung her right arm to the side so the backwardly positioned weapon could hit home, and too late did Sango realize what had just happened in only a matter of seconds…She’d slashed Kagome’s cheek.
From his place hidden in the crowd, Shippo couldn’t help but freeze in utter shock as he watched the exchange between the girls. His bright emerald eyes were wide as saucers as he watched fresh blood fall to the dusty earth below, and Kagome’s face snap to the side with Sango’s strike, the girl’s own dark orbs revealing her shock to the blow.
"Sango!" Cried Miroku, who had been following behind her as soon as he saw himself what had happened, rushing to her aid immediately. “Sango are you-“
“I’m fine! Get to Inuyasha! Inuyasha!” She scolded fiercely over her pained voice, her blurred brown eyes looking to the unconscious hanyou still laying helplessly on the ground.
Quickly gesturing for Kirara to protect the wounded taijiya, the houshi charged as fast as he could towards the miko, who was now raising her claws up in an attempt to strike down Inuyasha for good as she had planned all along.
“NO!” Miroku yelled desperately as he practically ripped the sacred beads from his right arm and hollered out,
“KAZANA!”
The massive black hole in his right palm was instantly awakened and released, its vortex halting Kagome’s strike and pulling her away from the defenseless hanyou. She fought it, digging her feet deeper into the soil, but still the miko’s strides where unsteady and slow. Finally she lost her footing and rose off of the ground completely, crying out in shock as the forced winds pulled her away, only for Miroku to finally close up his palm, wrap the beads back around his arm, and strike Kagome to the side, stunning her for a moment.
With the time he had borrowed, the houshi quickly ran to Sango, and helped her onto Kirara. “Miroku…what…What are you doing?” the taijiya ground out through her pain as the morning sunlight glinted off of the rushing blood from her wounds, her body limply being put atop Kirara’s back.
“You’re badly wounded Sango. Kagome’s attack was infused with miasma. You can’t stay here and fight in that condition.”
“Miroku-“
Ignoring her attempted protest, Miroku nodded to the neko youkai before him, and in instant understanding, Kirara ran off into the crowd to Kaede’s hut until it was safe to return. The houshi noticed Shippo following them once they had officially excited the battle lines. A dim smile came to his face, no doubt relieved he had saved his love from further injury and possibly death.
His time of such relief was short lived however as Kagome suddenly came to, her left cheek still bleeding from the injury she had received earlier. The houshi visibly tensed his hold on the wood of his staff tightening nervously as he saw the look of pure malice on her face, actually snarling at him in disgust.
“You BASTARD!” She hissed with anger, glaring at the houshi with red tinted eyes of hate. Standing on wobbly legs for a moment, she clutched her aching side where Miroku had struck her, and flexed her free hand, revealing just how long and sharp her new claws were as they glowed with a tainted miko aura.
“You cannot use your spiritual powers on me Kagome, I am a houshi. Not a youkai.” Miroku boldly warned her, his eyes revealing just how saddened he was at her corrupted state, but his body still showed some nervousness as he silently evaluated what his options were. He had succeeded in getting her attention away from Inuyasha, which was good. However, he was now at risk, and obviously leaving the option of striking down Kagome out, he was clearly unsure what he could do at this point. No one could fight forever, so something had to be done, and quickly. He watched as the tainted miko began breathing heavily, her eyes glowing darkly, simply glaring at him. I’ll need to get her away from the village somehow…but then…what do I do after that? She’s not a youkai, so I can’t use my sutras to stun her. Do I just…knock her out? Can I do that? What other choice did he have?
Before he could come to a final decision however, Kagome charged him, her claws raised, a loud battle cry ringing through the air, and struck her talons down, only to miss as the houshi dodged her clumsy attack, making her lose balance from the sudden pushing forward of her body only to meet nothing. With this opening, Miroku quickly used the wooden end of his staff to strike the miko again to the side, somewhat hard, pushing her back down to the ground and moving himself more in the forests direction just in the nick of time before Kagome was again up, coughing just a bit as she obviously pushed herself to strike Miroku again, only to keep missing or hitting the wooden middle of the houshi’s staff. For each strike, she took a step forward, and for each block, Miroku took another step back. With this strategy, hopefully Kagome could get farther away from the village, and hopefully, he could keep a safe enough distance to knock Kagome out. Once that was done, he could decide what to do next.
Ah, the ways plans can go so wrong…
“Enough!” Came the tainted miko’s ground out roar as she suddenly lunged with just a bit more force than usual and this time, there was a strange purple aura seeping through her claws, smoke coming from it. Only having a split second to realize it was miasma, Miroku held up his staff in attempts to block the strike like he had been doing, only to have said staff snapped in two. What?! Was the houshi’s surprised thought and expression, but that had been a mistake. His guard temporarily down due to his shock and lack of defenses, Kagome seized the opportunity to lash at the man again, and this time, instead of cutting wood, she cut garb and flesh.
“GAH!!” Miroku cried loudly, his body jolting and pulsing violently from the large amount of miasma searing his bare flesh several centimeters in. Unable to withstand the pain, he fell to his knees and doubled over on the ground, unbearable pain corrupting his own spiritual energy and draining it out too much for him to use. I can’t…my staff…I…but he could not finish the sentence as he abruptly lost consciousness. Just like that.
As the tainted miko coldly watched her once good friend fall at her feet in moans and violent shaking, both his hands buried in his folded form, she simply glared at him. “Serves you right for interfering, Miroku. Be glad I didn’t use enough miasma to kill you. It’s a warning. Stay OUT of this, or next time, I really WILL kill you.” Though she knew the houshi was already long passed out, somehow she knew he’d find out what she said. Then, just as the miko began to dash past the unconscious man lying on the small pathway surrounded by water, small trails of soil dividing up said water beds with planted rice, there was a sharp whipping through the air, and suddenly, an arrow was stuck in the road just beside Kagome’s feet, a faint pink aura flashing from the projectile.
Whirling around in alarm, the tainted miko narrowed her eyes in the direction the arrow had come from, narrowing her dark eyes to the nearby shadows of the trees. Soon, her eyes caught a shadow, an outlining of a woman dressed like that if a miko herself, a bow held firmly in her grasp…and as that same shadow came into the light of the morning sun, it seemed as if fate had come to taunt her. For those cold, lifeless brown eyes could belong to no one but her.
Kikyou.
~(+)~
Author's Concluding Note: Yay! It's done! I had to go and edit the preview to fit the story, but it's mostly the same right? I also want to give much deserved credit to my dear story consultant Rhiannon (Aka Splendent Goddess) for helping me organize all those annoying loose ends wondering around this story plot. I couldn't have done these chapters without you! And to readers, please check out her stories! She deserves your reviews more than I do. Seriously.

Converting /tmp/phpqfOw4U to /dev/stdout