InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What We Fight For ❯ The Time ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's note: After reading and rereading this chapter, plus discussing the storyline over with a consultant of mine, I went ahead and changed a few things. Nothing extremely different, just some minor details to organize and edit. For those of you who haven't read this chapter, edited or otherwise, please note that it is rated M for its content. Read with caution!
[Date Edited: July 9th 2011]
~(+)~
=Chapter 2: The Time=
The urgency and rising panic thick in the air, hearts racing, the remaining members of the Inu-gang prayed fate ran by their side as they quickly sped atop Kirara to their destination. Now knowing it was Kaede's village Kagome was headed for, there was no choice but to stand and defend it should things get less than civilized. They all had to remember whatever she was up to, it wasn't the young miko's desire, but Naraku's. Of course, it was no mystery as to why he would want the village destroyed. Just the fact Kikyou had once lived there was reason enough. He wanted her dead after all. Well, dead again that is.
Attempting to break the silence, Sango turned her head slightly to get Miroku in her line of sight. "What do you think she'd do if it came down to fighting?" She asked, referring to Kagome, obviously.
"Whatever Naraku would do in that situation. Kills us." The monk stated simply. The thought wasn't very comforting to say the least.
Shippo stopped his concentrating and shot a heart shattering look to the man speaking such blasphemy, "Kagome would never-"
"Kagome doesn't have control over her body right now, Shippo. We can only assume the worst." Miroku cut him off, a little sternly.
Knowing it was true, there was no point expressing his unwavering faith in the poor girl. Shippo forced himself to hold his tongue, and turned his nose back to the trail, just in case it changed direction, though it was very unlikely.
[Some Miles Away]
His pace long having slowed, Inuyasha admitted he felt a little fatigued and strained. This was beginning to take its toll on the hanyou. After all, body and mind don't always sync together easily. But who said it ever stopped anyone? Especially Inuyasha of all people.
Suddenly, everything was silent. The world froze, as Inuyasha's heartbeat slowed and sped up all within the moment. This scent…it was hers.
Kagome!
Yes, this was the break through the hanyou had been relentlessly searching for, the chance to make things right again. He wasn't about to waste it. Within two seconds he had his energy back, the fires of hope and faith burning and churning through his blood like wild fire. He'd never been so excited to run in his life! To make things more convenient, he knew where Kagome was headed. Thank the kami it wasn't as far as he'd imagined.
Along the way, Inuyasha considered what it would probably be like to encounter the miko under Naraku's influence. He had to be ready for anything she might say or do to shake his faith or confuse him. He had to believe she didn't mean any of it, and it was all Naraku talking. That had always been extremely difficult…since Kikyou.
Inuyasha hated to admit it, but everything that came out of Kagome's mouth meant something to him, had an effect on him; good or bad. Just the fact Naraku was using her innocent, sweet voice to express his hatred for the world sickened him, and sent a new kind of rage pumping through his veins. That bastard was going to pay dearly for what he'd done. Had he possessed the power, Inuyasha would have sent that beast to hell ten times over a long time ago. The hanyou was sure whatever deity was watching from up there, they’d would agree with him.
But before Naraku ever got to hell, he'd have to die first. That, was the whole problem. If it came down to it, and there was no other way to free Kagome from his grasp, Inuyasha would have to increase his search for the half-youkai scum double time. Adding the miko's freedom to the long list of benefits to the fall of this demon overlord. He wouldn't rest until that day was on the horizon. That much was clear.
Don't you worry, Kagome. I'll bring you back. Or die trying. And Inuyasha meant that with all his heart.
(At an Unknown Location)
"Naraku. Kagome is in position to begin the plan" Kagura, one of the many half-youkai's incarnations, spoke through the miasma of darkness swirling about the room. Kanna was holding her mirror in front of the said master, who had been glaring at it intently.
"Yes, I see that." The half-youkai disguised in human form stated simply, a twinge of irritation in his unnervingly smooth voice. Of course that was gone the moment it passed his stiff lips, a smirk quirking them twisted instead "But we need not rush things. The others have yet to arrive."
The defiance in Kagura's eyes never left. It had actually increased since Naraku had taken Kagome in as his new errand runner, meaning less wondering time for her. Not only that, but the fact this tainted miko was now working for them meant she wasn't with Inuyasha, meaning Naraku's demise would be that much harder to achieve. With Kikyou nowhere to be found as of recently, it only made things more complicated. It was a wonder that clay pot was even still alive as it was. With Kagome now serving as Naraku's eyes for the shards, there was no one else to purify them and stop this whole thing…It was then Kagura realized she needed to do something…but in her situation, what was there to do?
"Watch over this confrontation, Kagura. Make sure nothing gets past our advantage" Naraku's sudden orders broke through the woman's thoughts, and irritated as she was about it she nodded her consent and set off. From the way her 'master' had explained the plot, she had a feeling this was going to be one hell of a fight, even for Inuyasha and his friends. If they got past this, it would be a miracle.
[Meanwhile]
Flashes of dark purple raced across the sky, blurred images mixing together with bright strokes of light. She was hardly visible for an instant before her new claws and much more agile body went again into action.
The terrified screams of helpless villagers and children crying, men calling out for weapons…it all left a faint smirk across Kagome’s face, her eyes of brown now outlined with a screen of crimson over them, revealing for all too see just what she had now become.
It had not been long since the tainted miko had arrived here in the Goshinboku village, but the moment she had, it was all chaos. Though she had destroyed a few huts and wounded a few people, the helpless villagers were not her main target. No, she was here for an entirely different purpose…
"Kagome, stop this!" The pleading and exhaustion could be clearly heard in the fairly aged person's voice, and it hardly took a second for the raven haired girl to recognize who it belonged to.
A clever and rather snide expression graced Kagome's features as a knowing gleam shone through her paled lightless gaze, "Kaede. It's been awhile" She said, an entertained and casual greeting passing her now red painted lips.
The aged woman, Kaede, knew even attempting to speak to the tainted young girl could mean death…but for some reason, seeing this girl so hateful and full of anger, it only reminded her of her sister Kikyou…and she was determined to spare those remaining among the living the pain of a fallen and lost companion. This had to end. Whether this was the intension of fate, or destiny, there was one thing she knew.
However, there was only one person she knew of who could stop this, one person who had the ability to drag the young maiden from her clouded prison of darkness. And that person was…
*BOOM!*
"Kaede!" The call rang with urgency and alarm, as a blur of silver and crimson rushed to the elderly priestess side from the remains of a nearby hut wall, now landing protectively between Kagome and the nearly defenseless remainder of the villagers.
With her good eye, Kaede glanced to her new protector, "Inuyasha, ye have arrived!" She declared with a loud exhale of breath.
{A/N: Although Miroku and co. went out to find Kagome first in the timeline, Inuyasha had been wondering for much longer, thus he was closer to the village then them}
"Keh. Not about to have some old hag's blood on my hands 'cuz I didn't get here in time" He answered simply, giving the woman a side glance as he stood in front of her. Although its tone was somewhat sarcastic, it held a large amount of seriousness in its wake. Inuyasha was always the first to take responsibility for those close to him in a dangerous battle, as he should; considering who were indeed on the battle grounds this day besides only she.
Watching as Inuyasha finally came face to face with his lost companion, it was clear he was thoroughly unnerved, as hard as he tried to hide it. The uncertainty in his eyes, the tenseness in his stance and firm masked expression and hard scowl; it all reflected his uncertainty and his conflicting emotions. No words were said as amber and hazel clashed in a silent world of their own, a silently vicious war with no blood shed, but loss no less. It was a sight to behold. One could only help but recall a time, 50 years ago, when a similar face off took place; only now its bitterness and hatred were clearly one sided. While the other stood helpless.
"Well, Well, Well. If it isn't Kikyou’s boyfriend, Inuyasha. Came for a visit have we?" venom practically dripped from her lips with the vile hatred hissing through her teeth, earning a low growling from the accused.
The aged miko still standing silently from behind the hanyou knew all too well the game being played here. "Ye must be cautious, Inuyasha. Kagome knows not what she is doing; she has no control over her own mind and body!" Kaede warned sternly.
Not turning his fiery embers away from the girl before him, another growl, one much deeper and harsher rang through the air, "I know that already!" He snapped, clawed hands curled tightly into fists. But that still don't make it any easier…Kagome…how could I let this happen to you?
His thoughts were obvious to Kaede as she studied Inuyasha’s reserved expression. "Do not let ye emotions cloud thy judgment young hanyou. Kagome is but a puppet in Naraku's grasp. Act wisely." she pressed. The older woman knew all too well how rash and unpredictable this boy could get under emotional pressure and stress. His bond with Kagome was strong, but recalling Naraku's way of playing on those sorts of bonds, this battle was not to be a simple one. Not for Inuyasha, or anyone else who knew Kagome as she once was.
As the tension and stress continued to stir through the air further still, a laugh seemed to ease its way through such thick walls, unnerving all present. "What's the matter Inuyasha? No words to say? You make it look like you're not happy to see me."
"You're not Kagome." Inuyasha managed to seethe out under his breath, body completely tense as he glared back at the tainted miko.
A mock expression of hurt crossed over her evil smirk as she exaggeratedly planted a hand to her chest "Oh Inuyasha you've hurt my feelings! How could you deny the identity of the one you've come to be so fond of?" There was something odd about how that last part had been said…a bitterness, a sarcastic slap in the face almost. Was she mocking his feelings for her? Did she already know about them? No of course not. Naraku was the one controlling her!
Instantly on the defensive and looking to end this charade, the hanyou sought to push the pressure else ware "Shut the hell up Naraku! Quit the crap and let Kagome go!" The demand was fierce indeed, but far from confident. It was taking everything he had to look in Kagome's eyes and expect Naraku's reflection to shine through instead of her own, much less treat her presence as if the half youkai himself were there.
It was then Miroku's words echoed through his thick skull of a head…
"Inuyasha you must be patient. We're all deeply affected by Kagome's situation as you are, but we can't just charge into battle without a plan."
Swearing colorfully, Inuyasha gripped the hilt of his sword firmly to ease the pressure. 'Damn houshi! Always havin' to be right…' It was indeed correct to think so. Inuyasha most certainly would not fight Kagome if he could help it, and there was no way to reason with her without getting his head cut clean from his shoulders, and sure as hell no way to break the spell over her mind as of yet ether, they had already tried when it had first happened.
'What do I do now?'
"Keh, leave it to a totally dense idiot like you not to know what's really going on" the tainted miko scoffed with a roll of her eyes, the sweet tinge of her voice tuned out as a sharp edge cut away at it, her words lashing at the hanyou's heart like a spiked whip.
A barely hidden expression of disbelief struck Inuyasha's face as her harsh words struck his core. What does she mean? Isn't she under Naraku's control? There's no way she's speaking of her own accord! No way!
The corrupted young woman could have sworn she heard Naraku chuckle in amusement at the half-breed's mental struggling. Then came the new request. The one she'd honestly been sharpening her claws for all night…You know what to do.
Within the second it registered in her mind, the would be priestess lunged forward, a sword sheath now visibly clasped to her side and a miasma engulfed blade flashing from its sealed slumber to cut into the flesh of its victim.
The hanyou would have died instantly from the attack had it not been for his well trained and half way instinctive reflexes as Inuyasha indeed pulled Tetsusaiga from its own slumber, clashing with Kagome's weapon in a brilliant display of flashing light, blinding all those who dared to watch.
Kagome was stronger than before. Much stronger. In fact, her strength was fearfully rivaling Inuyasha's own! Her grip on her own sword was tight, pushing him backward in the blade to youkai fang collision, inch by inch, his muscles screaming and burning under the great pressure suddenly landing on them. It had been quite some time since anyone had matched his strength on such a level, pushing him to his limit within seconds!
Daring to look into her eyes as the pressure began to max out with the pressure, they had gone from blurred brown, to fuming crimson. He could practically smell the desire to spill his blood under her breath, as she snarled and sneered at him between the crossing of their weapons. As things were reaching a climax, she finally overcame his strength and forced him onto his back, all the force of the previously equal face off bouncing back on him to his disadvantage.
This is bad…I can't fight back or I'll hurt her! But if I don't get Kagome to stop somehow, I'm the one whose head gets chopped off! Inuyasha thought frantically as he quickly rose to his feet, just barely missing another swipe from Kagome's new blade as he jumped out of the way the instant he was able to stand up.
Upon doing so, and as the blade slashed at open air and ground where he had once been only moments before, Inuyasha could feel the dark energy pulsing behind him in waves from the strike. It was as if all of Naraku's own power was being channeled into that sword!
Within the moment the hanyou's bare feet met the rough ground beneath him, Kagome's instinctive reflexes were already zeroing in on him, predicting where he'd land, and so, before he could dodge the oncoming attack, Inuyasha suffered his first wound, as dots and spatters of crimson painted the earth the midair attack pulling the liquid down with him.
Gritting his fanged teeth at the sudden wave of pain and dark miasma pulsing through his body in violent spasms, Inuyasha struggled to regain his bearings as his senses began abruptly blurring and dulling for brief moments after the strike. Forcing his vision to focus, he studied his new wound, somewhat surprised it was to his right foot instead of his leg. However, upon attempting to stand straight, he figured out why it had been planned that way…shit.
On instinct alone, Inuyasha whirled around to face the oncoming flash of metal to youkai fang, blocking now more than dodging. Since he had been injured…it was as if on a subconscious level his need for survival was beginning to outweigh his refusal to fight back. (In all actuality, the hanyou completely forgot about what could happen should he be separated from his father's fang. Which wasn't good, as his youkai was becoming more of a problem)
The tainted miko was relentless, as she continued to slash and strike at the staggering/limping hanyou, who was barely dodging and blocking the aggressive attacks and even still getting closer and closer to another violent wound slicing his flesh open. There had to be a way to get out of this! There was only so much his demonic strength could allow before he began to break down. Even he had his limits after all.
From Kagome’s perspective, it was surprising how well this half-breed was faring against her new strength in all honesty. He'd been fully exposed to miasma in his system, mentally and physically weakening him to no end, and yet here he was still standing on one foot, Tetsusaiga drawn and blocking nearly every attack she had dished out so far. It's no wonder that baka Naraku is having such a hard time cracking this egg, he's too grounded. Wonder how that happened… the tainted miko smirked mentally even as she continued to swipe at her target repeatedly. Then, her sharp eyes saw a flaw in his form, his shaken position exposing his wounded foot to make him lose balance. So she hardly hesitated to strike where she could.
Seeing the purple aura loom just inches from his face from the blade Kagome swiped in front of him, Inuyasha dumbly landed smack dab on the soul of his split open foot full force, forgetting it was still wounded, a loud shriek of pain shaking the air around him. God DAMN that hurt! The hanyou mentally hissed as he, from the corner of his eye, saw fresh crimson splash and leak rather quickly to the ground, not to mention the air suddenly reeked of his blood, while none of Kagome's was to be found. His youkai was screaming with protest as the scent finally hit his blurred senses, to be fair and make her bleed just as much, but of course, Inuyasha was far from willing to do anything of the sort.
But…how could he escape with both he and Kagome intact? The miko was under Naraku's control, and had most his powers at her disposal. Hell, she had freaking miasma seeping from that damn sword she was trying to kill him with! (This explained why his body was pulsing unnaturally now that he thought about it)
Pushing Kagome’s blade back at her with another quick collision, the purple aura pulsing and glowing through his amber gaze, the hanyou suddenly got an idea. That’s it! If I can somehow get that miasma sword out of her hands, maybe I'll have a fair chance of slowing her down a little and avoiding any more wounds. It sounded simple enough in his head, but it was going to take some well-planned coordination and quick thinking to pull off in reality. Especially with his good foot feeling rather strained at the moment. If anything, his tessaiga could play a part in increasing his speed level and pushing the pressure from the blade meets back at her to leave him an opening. But over powering her near demonic strength was going to be difficult, considering she rivaled his at the moment.
"Hold still you filthy mongrel!" Snapped his attacker, her frustration rising fast as she continually met metal to air, ground, and tree bark. "You can’t dodge me forever!"
“And you can’t fight me forever!” Inuyasha countered fearlessly, even as he dodged yet another attack from Kagome’s weapon with a quick side step to his right.
It was becoming extremely difficult to avoid her weapon any longer, much less find an opening to get the sword away from her…Coming to a final realization upon that last thought, it was becoming clear to the prideful hanyou; he needed back up. Badly. If he didn't…He'd lose. He could possibly even die. And by kami he wouldn't allow that to happen, not when he finally had something to live for. Not when Kagome needed him to save her now more than ever. It was now, or never.
Forcing his blade to tilt ever so slightly into a more offensive position, Inuyasha swung the Tetsusaiga to block another attack, and at the same time push her back a few inches as he had done before, but this time a bit harder. Or, that had been the plan. This new darker, slyer Kagome was no fool. She knew Inuyasha wouldn't just suddenly decide to fight her on a whim without a purpose. He was going for her weapon, intending to get it out of her grip and leave her open for whatever it was he planned to do next. Did he honestly believe the sword was her only defense? Her only weapon? Even if she did lose her original offense, she still had newly acquired claws, and wouldn't hesitate to use them. All having been said, this was getting Inuyasha nowhere.
So, deciding to play along, Kagome let herself slip back by his forceful shove, and purposely gave the hanyou an opening to sling the blade from her grasp. Swiftly and as harmlessly as he could, Inuyasha took the bait and sent the sword flying only inches from Kaede's feet, where she had been standing from the battles beginning some ways away, closer by the village. Amber meeting clouded brown as Inuyasha in a bluff gesture of victory, pointed the tip of his youkai fang at the miko's throat. But, as he continued to stare at her eyes, faintly hearing the clattering of metal in the distance, he noticed a strange glint in them, and the scent of…triumph?
As the sword met the earth before the aged priestess Kaede, her eye carefully scanned over the weapon in wonder. This energy…Tis different from Naraku's power… There was no mistake about it, this sword was also carrying the aura of tainted miko energy! Unfortunately, it was fairly weak, as the miasma was still dominant, and thus could not be sensed by untrained eyes or senses. However, should this energy come from its source it would wield far more damage, especially to a youkai of any sort…including a hanyou. Oh no…
"Inuyasha! Beware of Kagome's hands! Her hands!" The priestess called out desperately, however, it was too late.
The instant both parties realized it had all been a trap, Kagome's black aura surrounded claws jammed full force into Inuyasha's stomach one way and out the other. "AGH!" grunted the hanyou, his entire body tensing and pulsing loudly in his sensitive dog ears as blood began seeping to the wound and filling his nose with the strong stench of his life sustaining fluid. (Hey, just because it was his blood, didn't mean it exactly smelt pleasurable) Then, Kagome's dark miko energy began jolting and electrifying through her body and into his, blinding him and making his world spin and swirl before his eyes. He growled fiercely and hissed as searing and unbearable pain began to push blood in places that it shouldn't. It was an agonizing, ripping and whipping pain that shocked the life out of him for seconds at a time. No previous injury had done this much to his body before! It was as if his hanyou durability didn't do anything to dull the pain he usually only felt on the new moon, and instead all his senses were forced to take in he'd been fatally wounded. This wasn't miasma. Inuyasha was being purified!
Finally, after he thought he'd die right then and there from just the agony of it all, the tainted miko did rip her embedded hand from his punctured flesh, allowing as much blood to follow its removal as possible, purposely spattering it all over the battlefield, just the faintest spark of black energy flashing from her claws as she flexed them, streams of crimson dripping from her bloodied claws, its pure red coloring almost reflected in her dark eyes, even as the sun's rays replaced that of the moonlight all could have sworn shone from her voids.
Inuyasha fell to the earth, defeated.
"INUYASHA!" cried a voice up above. It was a shrill, high pitched voice seeming to be coming from somewhere beyond the living…and for some reason, Inuyasha heard it. Or maybe he was just hallucinating. "Ka…Ka…g-go…me…" he murmured, before his body could take no more, and he slipped into unconsciousness.
But it was not Kagome's voice he'd heard…it had been Shippo's. Miroku, Sango and Kirara with them had finally arrived, but unfortunately, it may have been too late. As the new arrivals landed to the ground, and everyone hastily jumped from the neko youkai’s back, what they beheld was truly shocking, and Sango even gasped from her own surprise. Never before had they seen Inuyasha look this battered. Sure he'd nearly died many times before this, but the way his body was curled and paled…bloodied and stained…it looked as if he were already dead.
"Oh no…" Miroku murmured under his breath. From what his spiritual powers were screaming at him…no…it's not possible! Inuyasha can't be…
Sango's own eyes were twisted in utter shock and disbelief, as her once proud nearly undefeatable comrade lay unconscious on the battle field. By the hand…of the one that had sworn to stay by his side and forever aide him…Kagome herself.
All eyes fell to the woman standing before them in silence watching over the limp body lying in front of her, but it was far from an honorable vigil over the hanyou's defeat. Her eyes gleamed with triumph, as she felt not even a single spark of remorse looking at his seemingly lifeless form, not even a small sign of it. She was utterly, and completely, unashamed of what she'd done. One couldn't help but wonder…was it only Naraku's hatred gleaming in those hollow depths? Or was this miko truly and genuinely happy to see such a sight; blood seeping onto the surrounding area, the hanyou' firerat garb stained and ripped open, a twisted expression of pure agony frozen on the fallen hanyou's face? It would seem now, no one knew what to believe.
"You…you MONSTER!" Sango suddenly shrieked on the top of her lungs, pulling hiraikotsu from her tense shoulders, as her eyes clouded in tears and grief. It was Kohaku's incident all over again. Naraku had taken someone close to her, and killed someone else she called family. She couldn't take it. She was seeing illusions. For a moment, she saw Naraku in Kagome's place, his twisted smile, that sickening glare, and was lost to it.
"No! Sango, don't!" Miroku called out, holding his hand to her shoulder firmly, stopping her dead in her tracks, her sight clearing just enough to see a battle ready miko glaring at her, expecting another fight and not at all hesitating. "If you try to kill Naraku that way…it will only bring more sorrow" Miroku simply stated, knowing where the grieving taijiya’s thoughts were running. Sango let out a shaken breath, and nodded slightly.
As the air rose with shock, fear, unknowing, and pain from the villagers and it's aged miko, Miroku's own gaze met that of Kagome’s, and daring to peer at them…all the houshi saw was that said pride and enjoyment, and behind it stood only shadows and emptiness. Kagome…what has Naraku truly brought out in you? Is it only a hollow void and an endless darkness? Of course, only the girl herself could answer that question, and she was far beyond anyone's reach.
But, was it really over? Had Kagome's assumed goal really been accomplished so easily?
Had Inuyasha, truly fallen?
~(+)~
Author's Final Note: God, I hate this chapter so much…I feel like it was so mean and heartless. I wish it wasn't so necessary…
Also, if anyone has suggestions for the storyline, other ideas, or even other stories you think I'd like, feel free to PM me! Love to hear what you guys think. Please leave a review on your way out! I'm lost without them!
(Also, if anyone's wondering, I was listening to some songs by Evanescence when I wrote this…)

Converting /tmp/phpE2hoDW to /dev/stdout