InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Don't Know What You Have 'Till Its Gone ❯ Prelude to Chaos ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

{Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me so don't sue. ::sighs:: unless someone would like to give him to me. I would have a ball playing with those ears.}

You Don't Know What You Have 'Till It's Gone

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Ten: Prelude to Chaos

Kagome fiddled with the nearly completed jewel. Since Sesshoumaru caved in a month ago and agreed to search for the rest of the shards, finding them became nearly as easy as point and wait. Sesshoumaru insisted that she stay with Rin and Jakken while he defeated whoever had it. Most of the time he didn't have to fight. He just held his hand out and waited as the cowering beast, or human, handed over what he wanted. Kagome eyed him as he walked at the head of the group. Rin danced around him, telling him about some flower or insect she'd seen during the course of the trip. Kagome smiled. 'It isn't so bad traveling with him. At least I don't have to worry about Kikyou coming out of the bushes and dragging him away.'

"Kagome, focus," Sesshoumaru called, his pace never slacking as he strove forward. 'Damn those dog demon senses,' she grumbled to herself. Kagome nodded at his back.

"Sorry."

"No need. Do you sense anything?"

He stopped so she could focus, sending out her aura for any sign of the elusive jewel. Sesshoumaru's ears twitched as she pointed east.

"There," she stated. Sesshoumaru motioned for them to walk, going in the direction she chose. As they neared a field, Kagome heard a familiar voice call out

"Wind Tunnel!"

Kagome's hand flew up and a shield raised itself in front of Sesshoumaru as trees and various parts of the landscape zipped past them toward the field. Rin gasped and grabbed hold of Sesshoumaru's leg. Jakken scowled at Kagome, but didn't attempt to move from behind the shield. Sesshoumaru glanced back at her, then patted Rin's head as the wind died down.

"Its alright, Rin. It's gone."

Kagome rolled her eyes. 'What did you expect, a thank you? Yeah right. And you've known the guy for how long?' Sesshoumaru motioned for her to lower the barrier as he walked forward, disappearing into the field. He came back seconds later, stopping in front of Kagome. Grabbing her wrist, he shoved her left kimono sleeve up.

"What are you doing?" she gasped as he reached inside his haori. He pulled out a golden dagger, still in its sheath, and attached it to her upper arm.

"Wear this. Don't take it off," he ordered. Looking down at Rin, he released her and walked back to the field.

"Stay with Jakken," he warned them, disappearing behind the trees. Kagome raised her sleeve, the dagger glittering against the morning sun. The hilt was simply crafted, but the sheath had a dog in the insignia surrounded by garnets. Azure stones trailed down the length. Kagome drew out the blade. On one side of it was a large white dog running across the sky. {I actually own this! Bought it for $6!} Kagome admired it for a moment before putting it back in its sheath. She followed behind Sesshoumaru.

"Rin, stay with Jakken."

Jakken grabbed her wrist, nearly throwing her backward.

"Sesshoumaru-sama said stay here."

"Let go of me," she hissed, tossing him off her like a rag doll. Jakken bounced before rolling to a stop in by Rin's feet.

"I'll be right back Rin."

+++++++

Sesshoumaru paused a moment, surveying the battle around them. Inuyasha stood at the far end of the battlefield, with the rest of the group fighting their own demons. Even the kit was fighting, though his attacks were weak at best. He guessed that Naraku would have the shards Kagome sensed and decided, reluctantly, to help Inuyasha. Sesshoumaru darted through the sea of demons to them, slicing through any one stupid enough to step in his way. He skidded to a stop beside Inuyasha, who scowled at him.

"What are you doing here, Sesshy?" he growled. "Come to kick me while I'm down?"

Sesshoumaru smirked. "As much of a pleasure that would be, no. Kagome sensed some shards."

"You're searching for the shards?" Inuyasha paused, letting Sesshoumaru's words sink in.

"Kagome's here?!" he gasped. Sesshoumaru nodded. Inuyasha looked around, trying to find her.

"I told her to hide. She doesn't need to be here."

Both of them fell back, struck in the side by Naraku as they sat talking. Sesshoumaru stood up first, Inuyasha not far behind. As they prepared to fight, a lone thought crossed Sesshoumaru's mind.

'Did I tell Kagome not to get angry with that dagger on her? Oh well, nevermind. She probably couldn't do much, the gentle creature.'

-------

Kagome: Sesshou's gone, SF.

{SF sniffs around, then leaps to the stage.}

SF: You sure? {Kagome nods.} Good. Man, that guy's crazy.

Kagome: I agree-

Sesshou: {::offstage, slurring::} SF! Where are you? I have something big and long for the pretty birdy!

SF: Oh crap! {::grabs Kagome and heads for the rafters. Seconds later, Sesshou stumbles onstage. He's plastered as all get out::}

Sesshou: Oh pretty birdy! Come see what I have for you!

SF: {::hand clasped over Kagome's mouth, whispering::} If you say one word, I'll drop you. Got it? {Kagome nods} Keep going! By then Sesshou should be asleep.