InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Don't Know What You Have 'Till Its Gone ❯ The Jump Off (Part Two) ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

{Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me so don't sue. ::sighs:: unless someone would like to give him to me. I would have a ball playing with those ears.}

You Don't Know What You Have 'Till It's Gone

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Seventeen: The Jump Off Part Two

Sango, Inuyasha, Miroku, Kaede and Shippou stood at the edge of the well, waiting patiently for Kagome. A month had passed, and it was time to complete the Shikon no Tama. Shippou hopped from one foot to the other, nervous. Inuyasha growled and bopped him on the head.

"Ow! When Kagome gets here, I'm gonna have her sit you!"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, but kept his nose alert. He secretly missed her too, and couldn't wait for her to get there so she could get her plan into action. Sango told them all about the plan to seal the well for a few months. Until then, they would have a very angry Great Demon on their hands. Sango left out the part about Sesshoumaru asking Kagome to be his mate, knowing that the two meeting like this was tense enough without that tidbit of information. Sango sat down on the lip of the well beside Kaede.

"What do you think will happen today?" she asked, running her hand down her ponytail.

Kaede sighed. "I don't know, but we should expect the unexpected."

+++++++

"You are not wearing that."

Kagome gasped, twirling around as Sesshoumaru entered the room. She was just tying her sneakers when he walked in. Sesshoumaru shook his head.

"You are not wearing that."

Kagome stood up, her hands on her hips. "Then what should I wear? Should I dress like a miko?"

Sesshoumaru pointed to the cabinet in the far right corner of the room. Kagome stomped to it, flinging the doors open. She blinked for a second before reaching in. Inside was a new kimono, with a new inner haori to match. The inner haori and the hakama were pure white with silver threads laced in the cloth. The kimono glittered silver, with emerald stones sewn on the edge of the sleeves. The slippers were embroidered, little versions of Sesshoumaru in demon form in various tiny scenes. Kagome glanced back at him, amazed.

"I can't Sesshoumaru. It's too beautiful."

"Wear it. A servant will be along shortly to help you with the sash."

He turned to walk away. Kagome skirted across the room, grasping his waist in a fierce hug. Sesshoumaru blinked a moment, then hugged her back.

"Thank you so much, Sesshoumaru," she whispered, tears in her eyes. Sesshoumaru leaned down, stroking her cheek lightly.

"I can not have you looking like a peasant. You are the mate-to-be of a Great Demon, after all."

He left her to dress, never seeing the sorrow in her eyes, nor the tears that streamed down her face.

++++++++

"Here she comes!" Shippou cheered, dancing along the side of the well. Inuyasha and the others perked up as Sesshoumaru landed in the clearing. Kagome stepped out of his arms, flashing a smile at the others.

"Hey! How are you guys?"

Shippou launched himself into her arms, cuddling against her. "We've missed you so much! Even Inuyasha misses you! We didn't get a chance to say goodbye either time Sesshoumaru took you away from us! Meanie!"

Shippou glared at Sesshoumaru, who yawned as if bored. When Shippou refused to look away, Sesshoumaru raised his hand, his claws glowing green. Shippou squeaked and hid behind Kagome's shoulder. She glanced back at Sesshoumaru.

"If you please," she asked. Sesshoumaru shrugged and dropped his hands, gesturing for her to get a move on. Kagome sighed and put Shippou down. He skirted across the lawn, climbing onto Inuyasha's shoulder. Inuyasha eyed Sesshoumaru warily.

"Are you still dressing Kagome up like a doll?" He shook his head. "Why isn't she dressed like normal? Or like she's supposed to?"

Sesshoumaru smirked. "I did not want anyone to confuse her for the undead. There are masochists around these woods, or so I hear."

"Enough!"

Kagome raised her hand as Inuyasha started forward. She walked over to him and took off his sit necklace. Handing it to him, she reached around her own neck and took off the Shikon no Tama. Moving away from him to Sango at the side of the well, she took the last shards from her hand.

"I thought Kikyou had a few shards?"

"Kikyou is gone. We don't know how it happened, but we found her ashes outside Naraku's castle."

"So Sesshoumaru didn't kill her."

Sango shook her head.

"And Kohaku?"

"Buried. I have mourned all month."

Kagome nodded. "Then we can begin."

She pressed her hands together, chanting an ancient sealing spell. Her hands started to glow, the light becoming fiercer with each passing second. A wind shot up from the earth, billowing her kimono around her, the sleeves raising enough to see the golden dagger on her arm. Inuyasha and the others covered their eyes as the light flashed, then disappeared. Kagome grinned back at them.

"We did it!" she cheered, expecting them to say something. They stared at her instead. Kagome turned to look at Sango, who paled.

"What?"

"You're fading."

Inuyasha shook his fist at Sesshoumaru. "Are you doing this?"

Sesshoumaru shook his head. Kagome stared wide eyed as her feet faded away. She looked around desperately.

"Shippou, I'm gonna miss you," she whispered, blowing him a kiss.

"Miroku, I hope you do find some lucky girl to have your child. Kaede, you're the grandmother I've always wanted. Inuyasha, please look after Shippou. Whether you realize it or not, he thinks of you like a father."

She turned to Sango, the golden sticks in her hair clicking together. "Sango," she thought a moment, looking down at the completed jewel. Decision made, she reached for her hand, clasping the jewel between them.

"Come with me."

Sango gasped as she started to disappear too, the power of the jewel flowing through her blood. Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru both stared at them. Kagome expected the sadness in Inuyasha's face, but the look in Sesshoumaru's took her breath away.

He was hurt.

Angry.

And deep down inside, Kagome knew that he really, truly loved her. Sango told the truth.

She reached for him, her hand passing through his cheek.

"I'm sorry," she whispered as she and Sango faded completely away. Sesshoumaru reached for her, but grabbed Inuyasha instead. Jerking him closer, he snarled.

"Where is she?"

"She's home, 500 years in the future."