InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Don't Know What You Have 'Till Its Gone ❯ Sango's Modern Life ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

{Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me so don't sue. ::sighs:: unless someone would like to give him to me. I would have a ball playing with those ears.}

You Don't Know What You Have 'Till It's Gone

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Eighteen: Sango's Modern Life

Kagome blinked, then raised her hands to her face. 'Man, what a dream,' she thought. She peered through her fingers, expecting to see Rin bouncing on the edge of her bed. A stereo speaker was there instead. Kagome reached down with her foot to kick it, and winced. She sat up and looked around. She was in her room back home. A gasp beside her made her turn around. Sango was just waking up, her head lifting off Kagome's desk. She looked around in astonishment before finding Kagome. Kagome stood up and wrapped her arms around her.

"Sango, I'm so sorry. I wasn't planning this. It was like something grabbed my hand and jerked it to you! Please forgive me!"

Sango patted Kagome's arm, shock marring her features. "Kagome, where are we?"

"We're in my time, in my home."

"Can we go back?"

Kagome shook her head. "No, I don't think so."

Sango started to weep, leaving Kagome feeling like a rat. "Sango I'm sorry. I know how upset you must be. Especially since you won't be able to see Miroku again."

"What about Miroku?" Sango sniffed. Kagome blinked in confusion.

"Don't you and Miroku-"

"Miroku and I decided not to be together. I had a village to train and he wanted to see more of the land before settling down. I told him I wouldn't wait for him, and he agreed that I shouldn't. "

Kagome patted her shoulders. "Sango, I'm so sorry."

"Not only am I alone now, I'm alone in a foreign time."

Kagome smiled down at her. "You're not alone. You have me, and you'll soon have my brother, grandfather and mother. Just you wait. You'll be a part of my family in no time."

Sango struggled to smile back at her when the door opened.

"Kagome, when did you get back?" Mrs. Higurashi noticed Sango as she sat down on Kagome's bed.

"Who is your friend?" she asked as she stooped down to pick up Kagome's book bag. 'How did that get here?' Kagome wondered. 'I guess it's connected to me in some way.'

"This is Sango, Mom. She's from Feudal Japan."

Mrs. Higurashi dragged Kagome's pack out the door. "Well, Kagome, I take it you'll be here for a while, so I'll unpack your bag."

"Uh, Mom…"

"Plus, you'll want to get back to Inuyasha as soon as possible."

Sango burst into tears again, surprising Mrs. Higurashi. She let go of the huge pack and sat down beside her. She cradled the demon exterminator in her arms like a five year old. Being held so gently made Sango's tears more insistent. Kagome sighed and sat down beside them.

"Mom, we're going to be here a lot longer than you think."

"How much longer?"

"We can't go back. Sango's stuck."

Sango started to sob, clinging to Mrs. Higurashi's neck. Mrs. Higurashi patted her head gently, her gaze returning to Kagome.

"What happened?"

Kagome told her about the past four months, leaving Sesshoumaru, the dagger, and any of her powers out of the story. As she neared the end, her mother nodded at Sango, who was fast asleep. She gently pushed Sango on the bed and motioned for Kagome to finish.

"So we woke up here, me on the bed and Sango at my desk. We don't know how it happened."

Mrs. Higurashi nodded again. She looked at Kagome curiously. "Kagome, you're leaving something out."

Kagome blushed. "Like what?"

"Well," she said, lifting up one of Kagome's sleeves to study the emeralds on the hem. "This kimono for one. I know you haven't been with Inuyasha this whole time."

"He didn't tell you, did he?"

"No, he didn't. He did come to pick up your school books."

"What's so odd about that?"

"He took an Italian cookbook."

Kagome groaned. "Oh man."

She gazed at her mother, then started telling her about Sesshoumaru, leaving out how he tricked Inuyasha into thinking Kikyou was dead. Mrs. Higurashi nodded.

"He must care for you, to protect you so fiercely and give you such beautiful clothes."

Kagome snorted. "Yeah right."

"What makes you say that?"

"When we left the castle to complete the jewel, I thought he only wanted to use me to get to Inuyasha."

Kagome leaned against the doorframe. "Now I'm not so sure."

Mrs. Higurashi nodded yet again and motioned for Kagome to follow her. They walked down the hall to the spare room. Kagome opened the door and gagged as dust assaulted the air.

"I think this will make a perfect room for Sango," Mrs. Higurashi decided. She started to pull boxes out of the room, glancing at Kagome.

"Maybe you should change. That kimono costs more than your college tuition."

Kagome went back to her room and slipped into a pair of shorts and a tank top. She hung up the kimono in her closet and went to help her mother, leaving the door open so Sango could find her.

++++++

Kagome sat in her room, hours later, by herself. She and Sango had dinner with the rest of the family, who accepted Sango wholeheartedly. Sango smiled through dinner, then retired into her room for the night. Kagome was unpacking, checking to see if everything was still there.

"Oh, great!" she exclaimed, fishing out her history book. "Now I don't have to worry about buying another one!"

She unpacked, little by little, until she came to the bottom of the bag.

"What in the world?" she asked as she pulled out a familiar piece of red cloth. "What's this doing here?'

I am thinking of you
In my sleepless solitude tonight
If it's wrong to love you
Then my heart just won't let me be right
'Cause I've drowned in you
And I won't pull through
Without you by my side

Every kimono Sesshoumaru gave her was in the bag, the green on from when she saved Rin, the light blue one from when she destroyed Naraku, and many others, each with the adjourning hair ornament and slippers. Kagome sighed, then stood up and reached for one of the dry cleaning bags her mother left in the room with her. She hung up each kimono, wrapping them in the plastic before putting it in the closet. She stared at the last one, the silver one with the emeralds.

I'd give my all to have
Just one more night with you
I'd risk my life to feel
Your body next to mine
'cause I can't go on
Living in the memory of our song
I'd give my all for your love tonight

Sesshoumaru's face seemed to reflect in the fabric, not the strong, blank expression, but the way he looked before she disappeared. Sad, hurt, and his love for her in his eyes. Kagome picked up the slippers as tears slid down her cheeks. She traced her finger along one of the embroidered dogs on one slipper. Kagome could almost hear his voice. She remembered his concern for Rin, his rare moments of kindness and laughter, and the strength when she looked in his eyes.

Baby can you feel me
Imagining I'm looking in your eyes
I can see you clearly
Vividly emblazoned in my mind
And yet you're so far
Like a distant star
I'm wishing on tonight

'How didn't I see how he felt before now?' Kagome asked herself.

'Because you were too busy thinking about shielding your heart. Not everyone is as indecisive as Inuyasha.'

She took the dagger off her arm, studying it under her lamp's weak light. The dog insignia glimmered in the light, the garnet stones surrounding it glowed fiercely before darkening back to the traditional blood red. Kagome put it back on her arm and held the Shikon no Tama, pressing the jewel to her neck.

I'd give my all to have
Just one more night with you
I'd risk my life to feel
Your body next to mine
'Cause I can't go on
Living in the memory of our song
I'd give my all for your love tonight

"This is all your fault," she whispered. It shimmered, like it felt her sorrow as well. Kagome sighed.

"It couldn't be helped. It was destiny, after all."

She could hear his voice, calling to her on the night air. Somehow, she could hear Inuyasha's too.

'Cause I can't go on
Living in the memory of our song
I'd give my all for your love tonight
I'd give my all for your love
Tonight

Kagome leaned against her book bag and wept for not one, but two lost loves.

++++++++++

Over the next month and a half, Kagome and her mother got Sango used to life in modern Japan. They shopped for stuff for her room, decorating it a jade green. They also shopped for clothes, even though they had quite a struggle trying to get Sango to accept that shorts and tank tops were considered 'decent' in this era. As summer vacation ended, Sango and Mrs. Higurashi went to the Department of Social Services to have Sango instated as a citizen of Japan. After a few skirted questions, Sango officially became a Higurashi. That week she took the aptitude test, and passed enough to be in the same grade as Kagome. That week they went shopping for new uniforms, since the high school uniforms were different than the ones she wore to Feudal Japan.

Since the night they came back, Kagome found herself spending more and more time with the Sacred Tree, trying to figure out her feelings. The night before school started, she decided that she loved both Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru, she'd never see them again, and let it go. There were other things to worry about now.

--------

SF: {::holding a crying Kagome::} It's ok, Kago-chan. Its ok.

Kagome: {::between sniffles::} That was so sad! I can't believe I left them both behind!

Kikyou: Silly twit! You're only acting! Its not real!

SF: {::growling::} If you don't shut the fuck up, I'm going to fry your 'Night of the Living Dead' reject ass!

{Inu cast gasps. Kikyou grumbles, but leaves the stage. }

SF: {::sigh::} I'll never get the smell of dirt and ash out of my new stage. Oh well. Don't worry Kago, she's gone now.

Kagome: Thanks SF.

SF: Not a prob. I wish she'd said something else. I'm dying to try a new power. I'm sure Inu-chan will do something stupid soon.

Inuyasha: Now wait a minute!

SF: Hush up, Dog Boy! I'm not in the mood. Has anyone seen Sesshou?

{Inu cast shakes heads no. }

SF: {::sigh::} Kagome, I'll be back. Make sure to do the previews and the review responses while I'm gone.

Kagome: Ok. The previews and review responses are below.

Chapter Twenty: Split in Two

Sango's head shot up as Kagome nearly fell out her chair.

"SAY WHAT?!"

Eri, Harumi and Shizuko backed toward the cafeteria doors. Kagome and Sango glared at each other, shaking their heads.

"It can't be who we think it is, can it?" Kagome asked. Sango shrugged. "Don't know unless we ask. Hey Eri!" Eri stepped closer, the other two ready to run at any minute as another cheer came from outside.

"What do they look like?"