Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom Of Dark Hearts ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s note/Disclaimer: Kingdom Hearts is the property of Square Enix, Buena Vista Games and all its other various copyright holders which don’t include me which means I’m not making a dime off any fanfiction I have written based on it. I’m just enjoying being a fan.



Kingdom Dark Hearts

By

Phoenix Hoshika



Another’s note: The characters are ooc on purpose for a reason that will become quiet obvious within the first few lines of this twisted super short story.



Sora and Kairi sat alone in a small room around a circular white table playing cards. “Heh.” Kairi snickered looking at the cards in her hands. Her usually friendly eyes had a strange glassy gleam to them. She smiled wide revealing a set of sharp fangs.

“Hmph.” Sora huffed throwing a card into the slowly growing pile at the center of the table. “Have you managed to turn him yet?” He asked coldly.

“Nu-uh,” Kairi uttered shaking her head. “I tried this morning, but…”

“What happened,” Sora asked curious.

“Last night I asked him to meet me in the cave before dawn and told him that it was important. He came of course. Then I confessed to him how I always liked him more than you,” Kairi said as she carefully chose a card to discard.

“And why did you say that?” Sora asked slightly fuming.

“Hehe, because that was the only way I could think of to get close enough to him,” she said discarding another cared.

“So what happened?” Sora asked the fume mark on his head slightly increasing in size.

“He’s really a good friend. He told me how much you cared about me. Then he gave me a quick speech about how I shouldn’t be so rash and to think about what I was saying. After that he left. I couldn’t get anywhere near him,” she informed relinquishing another card to the pile on the table.

“Why didn’t you just bite him?” Sora asked irritated.

“Silly you know just as well as I do we have to be careful with him.” Kairi giggled.

“Yeah, that’s true.” Sora sighed.

“So, why haven’t you tried turning him,” Kairi asked.

“Do you have any idea the things people would say if I did?” Sora said shooting her a sharp glance.

“So? It can’t be any worse than what they’ve already done to you in their fan art and fictions.” Kairi pointed out.

“Hm, your right,” Sora said looking at the large number of cards in his hand.

“Ah! I win.” Kairi announced discarding the last card in her hand.

“Ugh!” Sora groaned throwing his head back. I’m so hungry!”

Just then Riku entered the room stopping in the doorway and sweat dropping when he saw Kairi. “Oh, so here you two are.” He said coming a few steps further into the room.

“Oh Hey, Riku,” Kairi greeted. “We were just talking about you, weren’t we Sora?” She said looking over at the spiky haired teen.

“Oh yeah, that’s right. Sora said standing up. “Riku, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about something.” Sora said walking over to him.

“What is it?” Riku said focusing on the serious expression Sora had on his face. Suddenly feeling a sharp pain in his side Riku gasped falling to the floor. Kairi covering her mouth all the while thinking what a waste it was as she watched Riku’s blood seep out onto his shirt staining it red. “Sora, why,” Riku asked looking down at the knife handle sticking out of his side.

“Because I rather not have you struggling,” Sora said kneeling down in front of Riku and sinking his teeth into his neck.

“Don’t kill him Sora,” Kairi cautioned, but the boy ignored her and continued to drain the life out of his best friend stopping just short of doing exactly that. Dropping Riku’s limp body back on the floor Sora wiped his mouth on the back of his hand.

“You didn’t kill him did you?” Kairi asked as Sora pulled the knife out of Riku’s side.

“No, but it will be a while before he comes to,” Sora said standing up.

“Thank goodness.” Kairi sighed with relief. “The king would have been really angry if he found you failed to turn him and on top of it killed him just because you skipped lunch.”



Sora and Kairi had moved Riku’s body to a bed in another room. Sora sat down beside him the two staring at his unconscious form.

“He still isn’t awake yet.” Kairi pointed out an hour having passed since Sora attacked him.

Sora licked his lips looking down at him greedily.

“Sora, you better not.” Kairi warned.

“There probably isn’t anything much left anyway.” The boy said turning away from him.

“Umm,” Riku awoke moaning. “What happened to me?” He said having momentarily forgotten until feeling the pain of the stab wound in his left side and the bite mark on his neck. “What did you do to me?!” He demanded.

“Relax, you’re one of us now.” Sora said nonchalantly.

“How do you feel?” Kairi asked expectantly.

“Like somebody with a stab wound.” Riku answered bringing his hand to his neck. “So, that’s how it is.” Riku thought then sat up.

“You must be hungry.” Kairi said happy her friend had finally come to the dark side. “Sora, why don’t you take him out for something to eat? You owe that much to him.” She added sternly.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Sora said sounding less anxious than he actually was.

“No thanks.” Riku said as he unsteadily stood up.

“Are you sure?” Sora asked as he moved to help balance him, but Riku quickly steadied himself shying away from being touched.

“I said I was fine,” Riku snapped and quickly left the room.

“Did you see that,” Kairi asked.

“Yeah,” Sora answered rubbing the back of his head.

“I think you traumatized him.” Kairi said smiling evilly.

“He’ll get over it.” Sora said shrugging it off. “Shall we go?”



Riku sat curled up in a ball in the shed on the beach. Several dead birds lay strewn on the floor beside him all with distinctive bite marks on their necks. Light from the morning sun seeped through the cracks burning the skin on his arm. He flinched retreating further into the dark corner of the shed his body pressed against the wall. He had spent the night in tears hoping that what he had experienced was just a dream nothing more than a nightmare induced from the overly ripe fruit he had eaten that day. The wounds had healed but the pain of daylight and the unsettling hunger for blood he felt were a constant reminder of the monster he had become. Even with that being so he still couldn’t wrap his mind around how such a thing could have happened to him, to Kairi or Sora. Who could he look to for light in the darkness that had entrapped him now? Who could he trust? Could he even trust himself? No longer needing for sleep Riku continued to sit alone in the semidarkness of the shed with nothing but the agony of his heart to keep him company.

He sighed with relief when nightfall came and finally got up from his curled position on the floor and exited the shed. Perhaps he had lost his candle in the dark, but there had to be a way to get it back, there just had to be a way to save his friends and himself. Riku walked away from the shed so that he was in full view of the moon. Breathing in the salty night air he looked up at it and smiled wide despite the melancholic turmoil in his heart. Riku wasn’t smiling from any left over feelings of joy or happiness, no those feelings were completely diminished. The smile he wore only reflected how ironic he thought the situation was; to find himself again internally struggling against a great darkness that not only had engulfed him this time but everyone around him. The task before him was daunting indeed, but he promised himself right then and there that no matter how long it took or if he died in the process he would do what he could to save his friends.

“Sora,” Riku uttered his expression solemn as he gazed out into the ocean.



~Chapter 1 end~