Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom Of Dark Hearts ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kingdom of Dark Hearts
By
Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter 3

That night Riku had acquired another dark cloak identical to the one he wore during the year he spent in the realm of darkness. Around his face he wrapped a thick black scarf. Not one tiny bit of skin was left uncovered vulnerable to the sure to come morning sun. Unable to enter any buildings Riku was grateful for the moogles that had item stations on the streets. Having little munny but plenty of dark gems on hand Riku was able to exchange them for the items he now wore hoping greatly they would actually protect him. Walking aimless down a busy avenue the presence of so many people was overwhelming for him. The feeling made all the more suffocating by the heavy rain that had started pouring. A man rushing down the street bumped into him not even turning to offer a half hearted apology. Riku felt sick to his stomach as he resisted the urge to turn around and bite him. Breathing heavily he leaned against the wall of an apartment building. He had to get away from them before he killed someone. Openning a dark portal he slipped away unnoticed returning to the quiet park he first came to that night. The hum of car engines and honking played in the back ground sounding more distant than it actually was muffled by the down pour of rain. Weary Riku sat under a tree as he tried to get his thoughts in order. As he did so a stray dog came by sniffing at his feet. Moments later it lay dead beside him. Able to focus he stood up and created another dark portal. With his two best friends, Sora in particular the chosen one of the Keyblade having succumb to darkness, he was uncertain who he could trust. Having a bad feeling about going to Disney Castle Riku headed for Radiant Gardens.
The glittering shards of white light falling from the sky lit up the town in a soft glow as it sat on the break of dawn. Riku inhaled deeply. So far his clothing was protecting him but would it hold up against the sun? He’d find out sooner or later. Giving the matter no more thought he headed out for Merlin’s house.

“It sure is quiet in there.” Kairi said leaning against the wall by the door as Sora paced.
“Probably hesitating again,” Sora mumbled walking by Kairi. “That’s it!” He yelled. If Riku wasn’t going to devour the girl he would. Sora slammed the door open ready for a fight only to find the room empty.
“Where did they go?” Kairi wondered looking into the room.
Sora was steaming mad. Baring his teeth he clinched them and his fists together realizing Riku was more of a problem than any of them had thought he would be.

Opening the door to Merlin’s house Riku ran smack into an invisible barrier when he tried to cross the threshold. Having landed hard on his backside Riku let out a slight groan. Standing up he pressed his hands against the invisible barrier. “I almost forgot about this.” He thought sighing.
“Try all you want there’s no way you’re getting in here.” Yuffie said wagging her finger standing a few feet away from the entrance.
“Damn straight.” Cid said from near the computer at the back of the one room dwelling.
“Let me in I’m not going to hurt anyway.” Riku said uncertain of those words himself.
“Yeah right and why should we believe you?” Yuffie said coming only inches away from him. She placed both hands on her hips and leaned forward trying to get a look at his face but it was completely dark under his hood. “Who is this weirdo anyway.” She said turning to face the rest of the group that was in the small house.
“How should we know?” Leon said.” He was leaning against the wall opposite of where the computer sat gunblade in hand just in case their mysterious visitor tried anything funny.
“I think I know the answer to this one.” Aerith said walking over to them. “You’re Sora’s friend Riku aren’t you?” She asked certain of it.
“Pretty good for a guess, how did you know?” Riku said bringing his hands to his sides.
“Just a a feeling I had.” She said warmly smiling.
“Is that so.” Riku said figuring there was more to her knowing his identity than she was going to explain at the moment. “So, are you going to let me in or not?” He asked growing impatient.
“Not your on your life bu-“ Yuffie was saying but was interrupted when Merlin suddenly popped in.
“I see no harm in letting him in.” the old man said appearing in the room.
“WHAT?!” Everyone exclaimed except for Aerith who was still debating the matter.
“The guy’s obviously a vampire. We can’t let him in here.” Leon said standing up straight.
“I sense no malice coming from him and if anything does happen don’t tell me you fine fighters can’t take care of things.” Merlin said walking toward the door. “You may come in.” He said.
“Thanks.” Riku said entering the small dwelling and feeling the tension thicken as he did so.
“Yuffie groaned as he passed her but diverted her gaze when he turned to look at her. Cid let out a discontent huff keeping his gaze fixed on him.
“Let us see your face.” Aerith said softly after approaching him. “I’m sure everyone would feel much better if they could get a good look at who they were talking to.” She said smiling with her arms behind her back.
Riku sighed. “Fine, close the windows.”
Merlin waved his hand and magically the windows closed themselves up and the curtains tightly drew so not a drop of light from the rising sun entered the room. Once this was done Riku pushed back his hood and begun to undo the scarf around his head.
“Damn, kid. How’d you manage to see under that thing?” Cid exclaimed.
“Are you happy now?” Riku asked ignoring the question as he looked to everyone around the room.
“I think that helped some. Don’t you agree everyone?” Aerith asked addressing them.
“Humph.” Yuffie huffed folding her arms and turning her head but still couldn’t help peering out the corner of eye at him. Cid did about the same then went back to the research he was conducting on the computer.
“So I take it you all know what’s been going on with Sora?” Riku said not directing his question at anyone in particular.
“That’s right.” Merlin confirmed.
“The King has turned too.” Leon informed. “Apparently he was the first and it just trickled down from there. We have no idea how or why this happened, that’s what Cid is trying to find out.” Leon said pointing over at the older man with his thumb. “What’s even more amazing is that you haven’t attacked anyone.”
“That’s not what I came here for.” Riku responded.
“Well then I guess I can put this way.” Leon said his gunblade vanishing into an invisible sheath behind him.
“So you guys are just hanging out here until the old man over there finds something?”
“Watch who you’re called old,” Cid said continuing to click away at the computer. “Snot nosed, bloodsucking, little punk,” he grumbled unintelligibly barely loud enough to hear.
“Pretty much,” Leon confirmed leaning back against the wall. “Cloud is out on patrol with Tifa and Barret while we hold down the fort here.”
“I was out doing foot work and came back here to get some rest, but it doesn’t seem like that’s ever going to happen.” Yuffie said bending forward so that her arms hung to the floor.
“Stop your complaining. None of us are getting any rest.” Leon chastised. “How can we when we still don’t know friend from foe?”
“Don’t worry we’ll figure out whose side everyone is on soon enough.” Aerith reassured.
While everyone chattered trying not to fall asleep on their feet Riku had moved to the back corner of the room. Leaning against the wall he watched them listening as the conversation changed focusing on more light hearted things. Despite leeriness they had of him only a moment ago they had already grown comfortable with him being there.
“Riku,” Merlin said coming to stand in front of him. “The darkness that has taken over you and our other friends is too strong to be broken even by Rencid’s power, but rest assured we’ll find a way to free you and our other friends from its grasp. It is truly amazing you are able to stand against it.”
“This isn’t the first time I’ve had to live in darkness.” Riku said as the rest of the group continued with their loud chatter.
“Even so your resistance against it is commendable.” The wizard said waving his hands as he began to cast a spell. “We need all the help we can get against this new threat so I’m going to cast a light protection spell on you. The spell will allow you walk freely in the daylight, but if you should drink of human blood it will be broken the instant it touches your lips. Do you understand?” Riku nodded and with that Merlin completed the spell. Without a motion he magically pulled back the curtains and reopened the windows and the sun shown brightly through them. To Riku’s amazement the light did not burn him and closed his eyes enjoying its warmth.
“I have to go now. You all keep an eye on things.” Merlin announced then disappeared after getting nods of acknowledgement from everyone.
“Man I’m hungry. I wonder if the shops are open,” Yuffie said stretching.
“Why so you can have sea-salt ice for breakfast again?” Leon teased.
“If you keep that up you’re going to get fat.” Aerith playfully warned.
“Who me? No way is that happening. The Great Ninja Yuffie just needs the ice-cream to keep her energy going.” She said dancing around the room to Riku’s annoyance yet he couldn’t take his eyes from her. They all seemed to let off an aroma akin to one’s favorite meal being cooked, but Yuffie’s scent was the strongest and her every moved seemed to entice him.
Riku begin to feel dizzy and stooped down low in the corner grabbing his head. “Will you stop it already?” He unintentionally said out loud yelling. The room fell silent as everyone turned to stare at him. Getting a hold of himself Riku stood up. “I need some air,” he said then left the house.

It was around ten in the evening when Yuffie found Riku at the ruined bailey staring off into space. “There you are. Everyone’s been wondering where you wandered off to. We’ve got more volunteers.” She announced cheerfully.
“Uh-huh.” He said not really paying attention.
“Hey, I’m talking to you.” Yuffie said jumping up and down waving her arm at him. Stopping she sighed feeling defeated. “Are you okay?” She asked placing her hand on his arm just below his shoulder. “Hey.” She said loudly shaking him finally catching his attention.
Riku suddenly spun around unintentionally knocking her arm away. “Ow, that hurt! What’s you’re problem?” She asked annoyed. She gasped when Riku suddenly grabbed her baring his fangs.
“Oh so there you two are.” Cid said finding them. They both looked up at him shocked. “Am I interrupting something?” He asked misinterpreting what looked like an embrace. But neither of them responded; Riku too shocked by what he almost did and Yuffie still shaking from fear in his arms.
“Teenagers,” Cid grumbled to himself shaking his head. “Never mind me then. Come back to the house when you’re ready.” Cid waved then went about his business.
Riku turned back to Yuffie with an apologetic look in his eyes as he let her go then started to walk away.
“Riku, you were just kidding right? You weren’t really going to bite me were you?” Yuffie asked hoping he’d say no.
Riku stopped momentarily. He could sense it as much as she could feel it; the fear that dripped and radiated from her still. He knew she was looking for reassurance, to be told her fear was unfounded, that as an alley he would never do such a thing, but he didn’t care to fill her with false security and so not looking back he continued walking without saying a word.

~ chapter 3 end ~