Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Transience of Memory ❯ Inescapeable truth ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's notes: Typical disclaimer I own nothing of Kingdom Hearts.
 
I realize Fujin is supposed to be a girl. I just felt like making her a boy. AU, baby.
Also, my Raijin is not as *manly* and beefy as he is in the game. He's a bit more bishounen, just not as `pretty' as some of them. Think “rugged bishounen.”
As for Vivi, I am trying not to write him in much because he seems utterly useless. What would any self-respecting gang leader do with an itty bitty little thing like him? He can't even do anything… he has no skillz!
 
 
 
Chapter 4:
 
 
Hayner dragged his feet, on his way to his fourth day of gofering. He was both looking forward to, and dreading today. He was nervous about what he had seen the day before, the sights and sounds still gave him chills as he recalled them. But, he was also anxious, since he hadn't been able to make himself stay to the end. He wanted to make sure Seifer was ok. That was easy enough. I'll know he's alright just as soon as I get there, he reassured himself.
 
However, when he arrived at the hangout, one of the other members was there instead. It was Raijin. He was sitting at the counter doing a crossword puzzle, nursing a bottle of beer. “Hey, kid,” he greeted.
 
“Kinda early to be drinking, isn't it?” Hayner asked.
 
“Nah. Beer is the breakfast of champions.”
 
“Only until your gut catches up with you,” Hayner nodded sagely.
 
Raijin rolled his eyes. “Gimmie a break, kid, I've got at least 10 years for that,” he said patting his currently-not-ample waistline.
 
“Where's Seifer?”
 
“The boss is tied up, so he won't be around today.” He swiveled on the stool, handing Hayner a list of things to do. “Just do this stuff, and you can cop out, and come back tomorrow afternoon.”
 
Hayner accepted the list numbly. Was something going on with Seifer? Had he been hurt after all? Raijin's face gave nothing away.
 
 
******
 
Axel returned to Roxas' house the next day. He had to prove this to himself. Running from the truth would not change it. There was a possibility that his suspicions wouldn't be confirmed. Maybe it would be different this time. Either way, he had to know.
 
He was sitting at the desk again, face cupped in his hands as he watched the outside world. The sun was setting magnificently.
 
“Roxas,” he interrupted delicately, trying not to startle him.
 
“Hey!” Roxas' head whipped around at the sound of his voice. “What are you doing in here?” His beautiful face was regarding him with the startled eyes of a stranger.
 
This was too cruel.
 
“Heh,” Axel laughed, but it was bitter, harsh; his voice like shards of glass, “can't seem to remember me this time either?”
 
Roxas shook his head slowly, bewilderment clouding his face.
 
Axel's composure was threatening to crack. Roxas' memory about anything related to Organization 13 faded as soon as it was formed. It wasn't his fault; it was just how the Org. protected itself. You can't know something exists if you can't remember it. Still, he longed to see the light of acknowledgement in those eyes; to be recognized. And after what they had shared…
 
Axel cursed himself for thinking it would just work itself out. It was his fault for not being able to stop, for being unable to leave things alone. Now, Roxas would never remember their first, and maybe only, time together. In the light of the new day, he felt like he took Roxas against his will, and a sense of wrongness ate away at him. How could he have been so selfish?! He closed the distance between them, pulling the surprised boy into his arms, clutching him tightly. Why couldn't Roxas have stayed with him, instead of vanishing like he did? Wouldn't it have been different between them then?
 
“Roxas,” Axel said brokenly, tears streaming down his face, “why did you leave me?”
 
Roxas stood woodenly. If he truly didn't know this person, then why did he feel like his heart was breaking?
 
 
 
 
******
 
Hayner called Roxas up the next day, hoping they could hang out or something. He needed a distraction. He wasn't expected back at the gang's hangout until the afternoon, and the wait was killing him. Would Seifer be there this time? Or, would he be mysteriously indisposed yet again? What if he got arrested for killing those guys? What if he was dead? The phone kept ringing. “Dammit, Roxas, answer your phone!” he muttered as he paced, letting the phone ring a little longer before giving up.
 
He stood there, in the middle of his room, contemplating a course of action. Nodding to himself, he slid on his shoes, grabbed his keys, and left the house. It was Roxas fault he'd soon be bothered. How dare he be unreachable? And on his unexpected day of freedom! He shrugged, he wasn't actually angry; he was just composing the rant he intended to deliver to his best friend. Just in case he needed an excuse for showing up unannounced. Hayner whistled a mangled version of Inbetween Days as he strolled down the street. Since when was he so restless? He liked to keep busy and all, but this was ridiculous.
 
Roxas' place wasn't too far from his grandmother's but it was in a different sort of residential area. Instead of a traditional neighborhood, like his own, Roxas lived in a 3-tier apartment complex just before the center of town. Whoever picked the colors for the building should be tortured, and shot. It was a putrid grey with trim the color of mummified oranges. What was wrong with white? Or beige? Still, it was better than the apartment complex next to it, which was decked out in horrifying shades of flamingo pink. The person who chose that color scheme needed to be burned at the stake. Repeatedly.
 
Hayner decided against ringing the doorbell in favor of throwing rocks at the window. He always liked a challenge. Besides, he was feeling the need to be spontaneous.
 
He found a suitable stone, cocked his arm, and sent it flying.
 
TAK!
 
Hayner winced. Ok, a smaller one then. His eyes swept the ground until he found a small pebble.
 
Tak!
 
Ah. Much better. He wasn't trying to break the window after all.
 
Tak! Tak!
 
There's two in a row, can we make it three? Nah, let's skip straight to four. He readied four pebbles, two in each hand, sticking his tongue out in concentration as he prepared to fling the stones with precision timing. Left hand, right hand, left, right.
 
Tak! Tak! Tak! Tak!
 
Oooo, perfect!
 
A disheveled blonde head poked out of the window, glaring crossly while trying to look awake. “Hayner,” Roxas called down to him, “am I going to have to kill you?”
 
“No,” he replied cheerfully. “But, you can let me in.”
 
Roxas grumbled something that sounded suspiciously like “Why me?” before disappearing from the window.
 
Hayner took the stairs two at a time, but compensated for it by slowing his steps. He turned the knob on the grossly orange door, and found it was still locked.
 
“Rooooooxaaaaaaaaaaaasss! Let me in.”
 
“Hang on,” came the muffled reply.
 
Now, or I'll find something more annoying to do than flinging rocks at your window,” he called. Man, he was being obnoxious today. He smiled, rocking back onto his heels.
 
The deadbolt kicked back, and the door opened partway. Roxas was walking back into the living room as he finished pulling a shirt over his head. Hayner quirked a brow as he slipped inside. Had he just seen a bite mark on his friend's left shoulder? “Did you just wake up?” He nudged the door shut behind him, following him into the room.
 
Roxas flopped onto the couch, resting his head on the back, and threw an arm over his eyes to block out the light. “Yes,” he muttered.
 
Hayner sat on the floor, then leaned back, propping himself up on his elbows. “I didn't expect you to be in bed at 11am,” he mused.
 
“I seem to be sleeping a lot lately. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just not sleeping well, so I'm sleeping longer to make up for it?”
 
“Sounds plausible,” he said agreeably. “Are you awake now? Want me to grab you something from the fridge?”
 
“Can you see if I have a can of tea in there?”
 
“Sure,” Hayner said, jumping up. Wow. Was he restless, or what? He went to the kitchen, opened the door of the fridge, and peered inside while he contemplated his next question. There were two cans of tea, but he hated the stuff, so he just grabbed one. He shuffled back over to Roxas, and gave him a scrutinizing look. Just how does one acquire a bite mark like that? One that looks so very distinctly like human teeth marks… “Here,” he said, holding the can out. An enraged cannibal? A passionate rendezvous? Neither seemed more likely than the other.
 
“Thanks.” Roxas accepted the beverage gratefully.
 
“So, ah…. anything happen while I've been gone?”
 
Roxas thought for a few minutes. He really looked as if he were considering whether or not to disclose some highly questionable information.
 
“No,” he said definitively.
 
No?? Surely something had happened. “Are you sure?” Hayner pressed him.
 
Roxas threw him an annoyed look. Being bored out of his mind, and suffering insomnia really couldn't be worth noting. “YES. Why?”
 
Hayner laid back on the floor, and began lightly tapping his shoes together. “Huh.” he replied with bewilderment. “You haven't been molested by anyone who looks like you, have you?”
 
Roxas choked on his tea. “Excuse me??” he coughed out. Was that even supposed to make any sense?
 
“No? Well, there was this guy at the party Seifer's gang threw who was hitting on me, and he looked just like you. He's apparently a master of persuasion. I thought maybe he got to you somehow.”
 
“Was that supposed to be logic you used just now?” Roxas asked incredulously.
 
“Sort of,” Hayner said reluctantly.
 
“…um, Hayner, maybe Seifer is a bad influence on you after all.”
 
“Eh, he's not so bad.”
 
“Oh?” Roxas rounded on him. “I thought you couldn't stand him?” Hayner looked a little shifty.
 
“He's been more… civil lately.”
 
“From the way I remember it, you were always the one instigating something.” Roxas watched him as he took a sip of his beverage.
 
Hayner waved the comment away. “It's all a matter of perspective.” He got to his feet, heading for the TV. “How about a game?” he suggested. He knelt in front of the cabinet, and reached his arm in to grab the bin of games out of the back, not noticing the chain he was wearing slipping out the neck of his shirt. “I challenge you to…”he riffled through the boxes, “Soul Caliber or Tekken.” He turned, brandishing the chosen titles. Roxas was giving him a peculiar look. “What? You want Dr. Mario or something instead?”
 
“No, no, it's not that, any of those is fine.” Roxas squinted at him. That reeeeally looked like… “What's that around your neck?”
 
Hayner looked perplexed a moment.
 
“Isn't that Seifer's ring?” Roxas pointed.
 
“Oh!” Hayner picked up the end of the chain, shoving it and the ring back underneath his shirt. “Yeah, it is. How'd you know?”
 
“Well, he's been wearing it as long as I've known him…” Roxas said slowly. Why would Hayner be wearing Seifer's ring around his neck? Wasn't that something you did if you were, you know, with somebody? “Uh- is there a reason why you have it?”
 
“Yeah. He asked me to hold onto it for him. Weird, huh?”
 
“He asked you to wear it?” That sounded suspicious.
 
“No, he just asked me to hold onto it for a while.” Hayner shrugged. “Part of my gofer duties, I guess. I just threw it on this old chain I had so I don't lose it, and I can give it back whenever he wants it.”
 
That sounded suspicious too. Couldn't he technically keep the ring at his house? He didn't live far away, and it would take him 20 minutes to retrieve it for Seifer whenever… he… “Hang on a second,” Roxas sat upright, “why are you here?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Why are you here? Aren't you still providing slave labor under contract for another few days? What are you doing hanging out with me?”
 
“Oh,” Hayner said distractedly, putting the games down. “Seifer sorta went MIA, and one of the guys told me not to come back till this afternoon.” He attempted a smile. “Cool, huh?” Why was so worried about this? He should be happy he hadn't had to deal with the thug for over a day.
 
“Hayner, did something happen?” Roxas asked carefully. His friend had had the strangest expression flit over his face just now. It might also explain his recent behavior.
 
Hayner hung his head. “Not that I know of,” he said quietly. Images from the fight flashed in front of his eyes. Icy eyes blazing with malice. A maniacal grin. The sounds of pain… His stomach lurched. How could he be so afraid of someone, yet worry about them at the same time?
 
“But,” he said heavily, looking up at Roxas, “I think I saw something I shouldn't have.”
 
All of the previous restlessness and silliness in the other boy had seemingly evaporated. His face was drawn; mouth set in a firm line. The best word to describe him now would be… subdued. Roxas abandoned the couch to sit on the floor by Hayner. “Go on,” he encouraged.
 
Hayner told him about trailing Seifer, and the fight he witnessed, but he left out the part involving his own background. He didn't want anyone to know about that. It made it harder to forget. And sympathy undermined his strength, made him want to break down and feel like some poor traumatized victim. It wasn't helpful.
 
“So, I don't know… I guess I've just never seen something like that.”
 
“You're wondering if he'll even show up today, aren't you?”
 
“Well, yeah. What do I do if he's still gone? There's no way for me to find out anything.” Hayner caught himself, he was trying not to sound anxious. No, he told himself, he wasn't worried. “I mean,” he continued with forced bravado, “I guess I'm off the hook if that happens, right?”
 
Hayner was pathetic at hiding his emotions sometimes. It was obvious this was bothering him, but why was he trying to cover it up? “Either way, you'll know in a few hours.” Roxas said, clapping him on the shoulder, and giving him an earnest look. “C'mon lets go grab something to eat,” he proposed, getting to his feet. “I'll beat your ass at Soul Caliber when we get back,” he added slyly.
 
Hayner, already on his feet, took the out gratefully. “Ha! Who says you can even beat me?” he challenged. “I OWNED you last time.”
 
“I've had days of nothing to do with you gone… you can't even imagine the skills I've obtained,” Roxas threw over his shoulder as he walked out the door.
 
“Pfft.” Hayner stared him down in the doorway. “I bet you lunch that you can't do it.” He grinned.
 
“Don't cry to me when you lose,” he replied, locking the door behind them.
 
 
 
****************
 
“Are you going to tell us what that fight was all about yet?” Raijin crossed his arms over his chest, his chiseled jaw set stubbornly.
 
“No,” Seifer replied easily. “Ow! Watch it, Fuu!” The silver haired boy was ripping the old Tiger Balm patch off of Seifer's ribs so he could put a new one on.
 
Fuujin looked up from his work, shaking his head. “It's not my fault you did this first one yourself. You slapped the adhesive right over the abrasion you have toward the back.”
 
“Yeah, well I didn't want you guys nagging at me, so I took care of it myself.”
 
“Lotta good that did you,” the boy said under his breath, removing the rest of the patch. “You're lucky that kick didn't break your ribs,” he added, glaring at his leader. “Is there a reason you didn't feel the need to have us at your back?”
 
“Look, it was nothing I couldn't take care of.”
 
Fuu sighed in exasperation. It was thinking like that that was so vexing. This could've easily gone a lot worse. Seifer could take anyone one-on-one but one against four was stretching it. There's no way to account for that many people in a no holds barred fight, which is why Seifer should have brought them along. Fuu slapped the new patch solidly onto Seifer's side.
 
“OW, Goddamnit!” Seifer hollered.
 
“Boss,” Raijin interjected.
 
“What?” Seifer growled, glowering at Fuu.
 
“Did you think we couldn't back you up?”
 
Seifer threw his gaze upon his second in command. His large shoulders were stiff, fists clenched at his sides, and he stared challengingly. He looked angry.
 
Seifer contemplated his subordinates. Rai was taller than him, built solid as a tree, and was one of the strongest guys he knew. He was a natural brawler, had proven himself to be unerringly loyal, and could absolutely demolish their opponents. Fuu on the other hand, was androgynous and slender, and often mistaken for being a girl. But he was the best knife fighter he'd ever seen; his speed was incredible. “Of course not.” He couldn't have asked for better than these two.
 
“It was just business,” Seifer said cagily. “I had a score to settle.” He had to handle his own battles sometimes. It wasn't because he didn't trust his comrades; it was because he needed to force the other gangs to maintain some respect. He needed to put across how personally he was taking some of this, and how far he could go to lay down the law. He just wasn't a hands-off type of person; it annoyed him when people let others handle everything for them.
 
He had messed them up pretty bad, dispatching one with the bottle early on and another with a few slashes and a brutal kick to the gut. He had just ditched the bottle, and was squaring off against the leader, when the guy pulled a blade on him. It was a sufficient distraction. The other jackass got under his guard from behind, sending a vicious kick across his right ribs. It was a badly timed shot, which is the only reason he got off with such a light injury. He spun around to his left keeping within his opponent's guard, his arm poised for the strike. He could feel the attacking leg brushing his back, as it had not yet hit the ground, as he knocked the guy out with a solid knife-hand to the throat. Of course, the leader chose that moment to come at him with the knife. Stupid thugs.
 
“It was about that kid, wasn't it?” Rai demanded.
 
Seifer locked gazes with the brunette. “Yeah,” he said, getting to his feet. “You got something to say about that?”
 
“What's the deal Seifer?” he ranted, gesturing angrily. “You've never kept stuff from us like this before. And you have us cover for you while you're gone, which isn't easy, while you're messing around with this Hayner kid. Is he supposed to be part of our gang now, or what?”
 
“No.” This was getting irritating.
 
“So you're protecting him, and he's not even one of ours?” Rai clasped a hand to his head, laughing in disbelief.
 
Deep breaths, Seifer thought to himself, he didn't need to pick fights with his own people. But this was a touchy subject with him. It still really pissed him off that those bastards were going to target Hayner simply because they'd seen them together a few times. “I won't let anyone threaten people for associating with me.”
 
“You never cared about that before.” Rai said stubbornly.
 
“Are you questioning me?” Seifer was really starting to lose his temper. He could feel the adrenaline trickling into his system, making his muscles twitch. Being the leader did NOT make him have to answer to anyone. If he said something was his own damn business, they better leave it well alone. And if Rai wanted to push him, then he was ready to take this further. He took a menacing step forward.
 
Fuu slipped over to Rai, hoping to intervene before things got ugly. He put a hand on his arm to get his attention, giving the taller boy a stern look, and a shake of his head. He could tell Seifer was close to exploding. It was better just to stop this for now. “Excuse us, Seifer, we'll be going now.” He quickly herded the muscled boy out of the room, not waiting for a response.
 
Rai let Fuu have his way, allowing himself to be ushered from the room, and out of the building; but he was still seething. “Do you know what the hell he's doing?” he blurted out as soon as he was sure they were out of earshot.
 
Fuu sighed hanging his head tiredly, and dragging his feet. All that tension really wiped him out. “How am I supposed to know what goes on in his head?”
 
Rai shrugged. “It's just- well, he isn't acting like himself lately. He wouldn't normally have us pick up all this slack-“
 
“Because he'd be out there with us,” Fuu interjected pointedly.
 
“Right, right. But that's what I'm saying. Why did he even make a bet like that? He would've known it'd keep him too busy too keep up with everything else.”
 
Fuu had his own thoughts on the matter, but he didn't think Raijin would understand. “Maybe he just needed a change.”
 
“But why tie himself to the kid? I mean, nothing against Hayner, but the two of them seemed to rub each other the wrong way from the get go. And then going solo in a fight?”
 
Nope, he definitely wouldn't understand. Fuu groaned inwardly. Rai could be really thick about `people' stuff. “If Hayner had really set him off, they would have just fought it out by now. But I think they have more in common than it seems; Hayner just always cops an attitude.” He gave Rai a deadpan look. “And don't you think Seifer feels a bit responsible for his safety while he's around us? The kid obviously isn't a fighter. What's he supposed to do if a gang goes after him?”
 
Rai kicked at a rock while he walked. “Yeah, I guess. But why would they go to the trouble?”
 
Fuu shrugged. It was hard to say what they'd hoped to accomplish. All they would know is that he showed up one day, keeping exclusive company with Seifer for long periods of time. Given the improbability of them knowing about the bet, he'd have to say that they were speculating about Hayner's relationship with Seifer. Taking that into consideration, it seems they were trying to threaten Seifer's position by attacking someone very close to him. The thing that was puzzling is that Seifer felt the need to answer this call-out alone. Hmmmn.
 
“You shouldn't get so jealous, Rai. He isn't trying to replace you.”
 
“Yeah, well I wonder sometimes,” he muttered.
 
“You've been his second for years, for good reason,” Fujin clapped him on the shoulder. “Hayner couldn't take that place, and Seifer would never want him to. Whatever is going on with that is outside of gang stuff.”
 
“You think that's why the boss was getting so testy about it?”
 
“Most likely.” Fuu paused to look at his watch. “Hey, why don't we go to the arcade while we wait for Seifer to cool down?”
 
“Sounds good.”
 
 
 
*******
 
Seifer paced.
 
He hadn't expected them both to leave like that, though he was glad they did. He'd been a bit high strung lately. And a fight with Rai would be no laughing matter; He'd seen the damage those hands could do. He'd have to go all out, fighting dirty to get the upper hand, and he really didn't wish to brutalize his friend. That sort of fighting should be reserved for enemies.
 
Shit. Maybe a drink would straighten him out. He fished a bottle of Crown out of a drawer, taking a few swigs of the potent liquor.
 
He grabbed a seat on one of the bar stools, bottle in hand, resting his elbows on the countertop. This week had turned out to be rather stressful. Not that he regretted it; it was just different than he'd thought it would be. He'd had no idea how thoroughly immersed he was with all this gang bullshit. He'd really believed he could take a few days away from it, no problem; only to find he had a noose around his neck, as it pulled tighter.
 
He downed another mouthful of the amber liquid. If he was honest with himself, he hadn't thought the bet through. He'd just wanted to force his way past the attitude Hayner always gave him. He hadn't meant to get him tangled up in all this other stuff.
 
He vaguely wondered if the blonde boy was going to show up today. It would be understandable if he didn't- the break in gofering was inconsistent with the deal they'd made, so Hayner would be within his rights to ditch the rest of it. The thought made him feel a weird sort of disappointment.
 
Of course, he could always fight him on that. He was within his rights to set the time and place of the arrangement, and it was up to him if he skipped days or not, right? Besides, he knew where Hayner lived, and if it came down to it, he could just drag him back for the remaining days.
 
He took another sip of Crown, feeling better already.
 
 
 
 
 
TBC