Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ The March of the Balrog Slayer ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16
 
The March of the Balrog Slayer
 
Glorfindel looked up keenly from the fire as the two scouts returned. `What did you find?' he asked rising to meet them.
 
The two inclined their heads in acknowledgement before Asher said, `there is nothing to report behind us and I can see no other sign of life for several miles.'
 
Glorfindel nodded before turning his attention anxiously to Asher's companion, a younger ranger by the name of Gandel. Glorfindel had not expected any news from behind; whatever they were looking for would be in front.
 
`Nothing for the next mile but there are signs of others further ahead,' reported the ranger. `What sort?' demanded Glorfindel. In answer Gandel handed Glorfindel a crude, rusted dagger. The elf scowled at it and then tossed it off the path into the fog below.
 
`Goblins,' he muttered grimly. `I was not aware they had taken up residence along this pathway. There are some small caves further ahead but not worth living in unless the beasts are mining them.' `Meaning greater numbers sir,' concluded Asher. `Aye,' sighed Glorfindel.
 
Running a hand through his hair, Glorfindel seated himself beside the small fire he had built for himself. The other rangers were seated further back out of the chilly mountain air, taking advantage of the scant tree cover before moving onto the barren, dangerously narrow path on the morrow.
 
Taking Glorfindel's gesture as a dismissal, the two rangers quietly returned to their comrades, leaving their unusual leader alone with his thoughts.
 
The ranger's reports were unexpected. Glorfindel had not thought there would be goblins ahead. The only thing he had hoped for was a sighting of Elrond's sons.
 
Worry gnawed at his heart as images of the twins crept into his mind. He did not want to admit it but it was possible that the twins may have run into trouble with the brood ahead. Glorfindel hoped that that had not happened but if he found no other sign of the twins further up the path then he would have to seriously consider turning back just to check that the two elves hadn't fallen into trouble. Elrond would never forgive him if he walked right past his sons without even realising they were there.
 
Soft foot falls announced the approach of another and Glorfindel glanced warily up to meet Blaen. The youth looked tired but he gave Glorfindel a small smile.
 
`Are you not cold out here by yourself?' he asked sitting on the opposite side of the fire and presenting his hands to the warm flames.
 
`No,' answered Glorfindel. `Cold is not something I or any of my kindred really feel.' Blaen gave the elf an impish smile, `well you are lucky indeed.'
 
Silence continued for several minutes as Glorfindel puzzled through his thoughts. Again, he was interrupted by the ranger. `Why do you worry so much for the twins?' he asked. `They are old enough to protect themselves and one another.'
 
Glorfindel sighed, `it is more an ill feeling, that something is amiss. I have had such omens before and they have often proved true. I suppose this is why I'm not too worried about Legolas even though it is taking us so long to find him. At the moment it is the twins that I am concerned about. Something on their part just doesn't fell right.'
 
`I am sure that whatever it is, it will be fine,' assured Blaen earnestly, missing the sad smile on the other's face.
 
`Get some rest,' ordered Blaen. `I shall see you in the morning when all shall become clear hopefully for I do weary of this and wish it would come to an end.'
 
Turning Blaen walked back along the path towards the ranger camp. `It will,' said Glorfindel softly after his retreating back. `It most certainly will.'
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Glorfindel roused the troops just before dawn. Trelaen made sure that Glorfindel was aware of the fact that he did not like being awakened so early in the day. His wound was healing nicely but it made him rather tired and grouchy as Kit preferred to put it.
 
From his pack, Glorfindel retrieved a long length of elven rope. `Tie yourselves together,' he ordered tying the first bit around his waist and passing the rest to Blaen. `The way ahead is treacherous and we will need to be careful.'
 
Heeding to the warning, the rangers obeyed. `If we should run into any trouble you'll have to be careful to only allow the line to be cut if absolutely necessary,' said Glorfindel. `If we are separate it will be very easy for any of our foes to push us off the path edge.'
 
When they were at last secure, Glorfindel took the lead and led them out onto the path. At this time of day, the fog had risen in swirling masses around them and Glorfindel continually warned them of dangers ahead.
 
Blaen was not in the least bit comfortable with the narrow path and the slippery lichens that grew upon it.
 
His thoughts distracted, Blaen suddenly felt his feet slip and slide out from under him. The amount of rope between he and Glorfindel was much shorter than between he and Asher and as a result, Glorfindel suddenly found himself bearing the full brunt of Blaen's weight.
 
On instinct alone, Glorfindel whirled when he felt Blaen slip and grabbed hold of the rock face beside him. He hissed loudly as Blaen's weight tugged the rope viciously around his stomach, pulling so tightly he knew it would bruise.
 
Blaen scrabbled at the edge of the path and managed to pull himself back up, his breath coming in ragged gasps. `Forgive me,' he said as Glorfindel relaxed, the weight finally released from his straining muscles. `I did not mean to hurt you,' said Blaen.
 
`No serious harm done,' replied Glorfindel, wincing as he inspected his tender midsection. Blaen flushed with shame, barely feeling any better when Glorfindel continued, `there will be more to come though.'
 
Several minutes later Asher slipped from the path as did half a dozen others over the next few hours. When midday finally arrived and Glorfindel called a halt, they all sat down with a sigh of relief, glad to rest their strained nerves and sore muscles for a moment.
 
They had passed the place where Gandel had discovered the dagger roughly mid morning and Glorfindel was impatient to be on his way again. The caves were still some way ahead and would take the remainder of the day to reach. `Hurry up,' said Glorfindel, struggling to contain his nerves.
 
`Ease up,' glowered Trelaen. `We need a break just for a wee minute; can't you even spare us that?' Glorfindel tapped his foot impatiently and glared at Trelaen until the older ranger scowled and turned away. `I never picked you for the antsy type,' he grumbled.
 
Having finished the last of his way bread, Trelaen got back to his feet and after only another minute or two, the rangers headed out once more.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Elrohir paused in his work to wipe his sweaty face. His back ached horrendously and fatigue extended throughout every limb.
 
As he peered through the gloom of the caves, he suddenly noticed that he was working very close to the entrance. Hope flared before he remembered bitterly that he was tied to a stake embedded deep into the earth.
 
Still, some small spark remained though, as he eyed the first stars appearing in the evening sky outside. It was a beautiful sight and roused him somewhat.
 
The shadowy side of the cave entrance suddenly changed shape. Elrohir frowned as it stilled, sure he had been seeing things. Again, the shadow suddenly moved and Elrohir's tired mind began to realize that people were coming in; not in the open or leaving as any goblin would do at this hour of the day but actually coming in for some other purpose.
 
Tensing slightly, Elrohir realised that this may be the hope that had come unlooked for.
 
Raising his pick at a call from a guard to stop dallying, Elrohir moved further back into the cave to work against the right hand wall.
 
Several minutes elapsed before he finally sensed another's approach. Pausing and moving back into an alcove, Elrohir waited until the other at last drew level with his hiding place.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Blaen struggled to keep his breathing calm. He didn't know why he had volunteered for this; it was so foolish and he knew it was highly likely that they would be caught. They had been able to hear the goblins before they had seen them which made Blaen even more uneasy.
 
A hand suddenly shot out of the darkness, grabbing him around the mouth and hauling him back against another body.
 
A voice whispered softly in his ear, `speak. Are you friend or foe?' `Friend,' replied Blaen, his voice muffled and his heart racing.
 
`What are you doing sneaking in here?' asked the voice. Realisation suddenly dawned as Blaen recognised who his opponent was and he sagged with relief against the other.
 
`Elrohir let me go, it is I, Blaen,' answered the ranger.
 
Elrohir did, shocked at the discovery. `What are you doing here?' he hissed. `Adar will have your hide if he knows you're out here.'
 
`Lord Elrond is not my keeper,' retorted Blaen angrily, `and you didn't exactly tell him where you were going either as I understand it.'
 
`We don't have time for this,' interrupted another voice as someone else came to them.
 
Elrohir recognised the stranger as the tall youth who had first accosted he and Elladan on the foggy morning some weeks ago. Kit was his name if he recalled correctly.
 
He issued a low whistle and passed Elrohir a familiar blade; his own. `Where did you get this?' he demanded. `At the front entrance,' answered the youth. `Which one are you?' Kit asked. `Elrohir,' he answered.
 
`Where's your brother?' questioned Kit. Elrohir flinched, feeling his eyes burn. `Further back in the cave, I am not sure where but I know what the room looks like.'
 
`Alright, we've got about a minute before the others are ready,' explained Kit. Elrohir nodded, noting other shadows now sneaking in the front entrance.
 
`Try and find your brother, we'll keep them as busy as possible,' said Kit.
 
Elrohir nodded and sliced the rope binding his ankle. The pick he chose to thrust through his belt incase he needed it later.
 
He was stopped from moving away by Blaen, `are you alright to fight?' questioned the ranger worriedly. Elrohir smiled, `I am more ready then ever.' `Good,' answered Blaen and at last released the elf.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
`Let's move in,' announced Glorfindel as the low whistle reached his ears. He had hoped not to hear it but it seemed that the twins had come to find their way into this dank and dirty system of caves.
 
The other rangers followed him grimly, setting up in positions previosly discussed.
 
Glorfindel chose to melt into the shadows on his right, getting as close to the nearest goblin guard as he could.
 
A moment later, a war cry from Kit announced the beginning of the attack. Lunging forward, Glorfindel slit the guard's throat and followed up with an upward cut to spill a second guard's entrails on the cave floor.
 
A deadly rain of arrows flicked past him as he swiftly retreated to the wall. The first and second volleys took down the charging goblins as enraged, they rushed their opponents.
 
The third volley only took down half as the goblins crowed too close and then bows were dropped and swords drawn.
 
Glorfindel skirted round the fighting group, noting three shadows on the other side of the cave do the same.
 
He met the group at the back of the cave before they were to enter the tunnel to the mines and was rewarded with nearly being cut in half.
 
He brought his blade up only just in time. `Hold up,' he grunted. `There's no need to try and slice me in two Kit,' he told the surprised ranger.
 
`Glorfindel!' gasped a surprised voice. From behind Kit stepped the younger son of Elrond; Elrohir.
 
Glorfindel grinned with relief and swept the younger elf into a hug. `Aye mellon nin,' he replied, noting Elrohir's grey face and thin frame. The elf almost looked exhausted but there was a steady fire still beating in his eyes and a firm look of determination on his face.
 
`Come, let us find your brother,' he announced, leading the way.
 
Quickly they filed into the tunnel, Blaen bringing up the rear.
 
Several minutes later they reached a side passage which Elrohir directed them down. `They always blind folded me,' he explained, `but I'm sure that this is where they turned, it feels consistent with what I remember.'
 
Nodding, Glorfindel continued until they came to the end of the tunnel. Here, the tunnel opened up and presented them with roughly two dozen cells. Standing further down, were a dozen guards, still unaware of the peril at hand though they appeared uneasy.
 
`That racket just don't sound right,' grumbled one of the smaller ones. He was rewarded with a cuff around the ears and an order to pipe down. `If it is trouble then we ain't gonna let that elf get to his brother,' announced the other. `We don't get elves often an' you know the boss likes him cause they work so good. That one's stubborn and give him his brother and he'll gut ya and hand ya to the wolves on a platter,' said the goblin.
`We will distract them Elrohir,' said Glorfindel softly, `you get your brother.' The others nodded their consent and followed as Glorfindel charged into the hall, blade drawn and hollering at the top of his lungs.
 
Elrohir counted to five, breathing deeply to calm his suddenly racing heart. Setting his jaw stubbornly, he leapt out into the corridor, racing towards the fighting group. Four goblins lay dead on the floor already but the remaining eight were fighting fiercely.
 
Noticing Elrohir coming, Glorfindel shoved his opponents sideways, just leaving Elrohir enough room to race past before he managed to sidle round and now press the goblins into a knot.
 
Seeing the young twin slip past, the goblins howled their rage and struggled to break past Glorfindel. The golden haired elf held firm, gritting his teeth with the effort to hold back his opponents. He found himself highly thankful that the narrow hallway made it difficult for them to overwhelm him.
 
Elrohir reached the door, flung it open and finally stopped. Elladan lay where he remembered seeing him but in the dim room the only source of light came from the small lantern on the wall. There was none to be found on his brother.
 
Casting his sword aside, Elrohir collapsed beside his brother and frantically searched for a pulse. He felt nothing.
 
Fighting panic, he pressed his hand to his brother's chest and laid his ear flat against Elladan's mouth.
 
He sagged with relief as the faintest breath touched his ear. Elladan still lived, but Elrohir was not sure for how much longer.
 
There was a cry from outside and Glorfindel's pained voice echoed up the hallway. `Look out Elrohir!' he called.
 
Springing to his feet, Elrohir lunged for his blade, too late as a large goblin leapt into the room.
 
Death loomed up to meet him as the beast brought his blade down towards Elrohir's neck.